more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (13/09/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 13, 2013, 04:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Steve Sidwell's backing Fulham to stop the rot

Steve Sidwell is confident Fulham will get back to winning ways this weekend.

Martin Jol's side beat Sunderland on the opening day of the season but lost against Arsenal and Newcastle before the international break.

Fulham face West Brom at Craven Cottage tomorrow and midfielder Sidwell (above) said: "We have been a bit frustrated with the start that we have made but there is plenty of football ahead of us. We can play better and we will.

"I said at the start of the summer that last season was a transitional one for us. Now it is all about moving on and establishing ourselves as a top-10 team.

"We have the potential to have a really good season. We have a strong squad that looks very competitive."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/steve-sidwells-backing-fulham-to-stop-the-rot-8814268.html

WhiteJC

Stocko Keen On Consistency

Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale is keen to take his chance in the spotlight and prove that he can play consistently at the highest level.

Stockdale has been handed a starting place after the injury to Maarten Stekelenburg against Sunderland in the first game of the Barclays Premier League season and has made the most saves in the division to date (14). However, the stopper wants to make the most of his time as first choice and hopes he can continue to provide tough competition for Stekelenburg when the Dutchman returns.

"This is my sixth year here and I was behind a very good goalkeeper for five years in Mark Schwarzer and now the Club has brought in another very good 'keeper," he said. "The Club has kept me here for a reason and hopefully it's because I work hard and I want to be the best that I can be.

"I keep my head down and hopefully I can fight for the number one spot. I'm just trying to use these games as a point proving exercise; I must show people that I can perform at a consistent level and that I am capable of doing it week in, week out."

With Stekelenburg's arrival this summer, and Philippines international Neil Etheridge also fighting for a place in the side, the Club has a wealth of goalkeeping options, but that does not faze Stockdale.

"Whenever Maarten comes back, hopefully it's a speedy recovery because he's a good guy and it was an unfortunate incident when he was having a good game," he said. "I welcome the competition and if I keep the jersey, I need to work harder than him to keep it.

"Maarten, Neil and I get on really well with each other. We have games, two touch, and unfortunately they can't beat me in that! If one goalkeeper is doing well, a bit of credit has to go to the other goalkeepers for the competition. We have a healthy goalkeeping position at this Club and we're quite lucky - going down quite far, I'm thinking Jesse [Joronen], he plays for Finland Under-21s and he's fifth choice at the Club so we've got some good goalkeepers here."

With a number of successful loan spells behind him, Stockdale admits the best experience has been learning from a goalkeeper like Schwarzer before he moved to Chelsea this summer.

"You try to mould yourself on goalkeepers like him because he's in fantastic shape for a 40-year-old and you kind of forget when you see him play that he's been unbelievable for Fulham for five seasons," he added. "All credit to him, he wanted to move on to a new challenge and I wish him all the best and thank him for everything I've learned from him which can hopefully keep me going until I'm his age.

"I've played in every league in England now; I always try to tell the younger players to work hard because you never know what's around the corner. I'm thankful that I can come into training every day with a smile on my face. It's a great place to come in and train, the people around here are excellent and we are very lucky to be in the position that we are."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/13/stocko-keen-on-consistency?

WhiteJC

West Brom Sold Out

Tickets for this weekend's match against West Bromwich Albion are now sold out! Supporters are advised to check other options to secure a seat at the Cottage.

You can still upgrade to a Matchday Hospitality package from just £95! Find out more here.

Season Ticket Holders and Members also have access to our Official Ticket Marketplace, viagogo, where they can buy tickets from other Season Ticket Holders and Members.

Alternatively, we've held a limited number of seats for this game for new Season Ticket Holders. Call 0843 208 1234 today to secure your place at all of our remaining home games in the Barclays Premier League this season.

To make sure you don't miss out on tickets for future matches, sign up to become a Fulham Member and enjoy ticket priority to all the big games this season. Prices start from £20 adults and £5 juniors. Find out more at fulhamfc.com/membership

Inside the Opposition

Founded in 1878, West Brom is one of the oldest clubs in the English league and was one of the founding members of the Football League in 1888. Since reappearing back in the top flight in 2002 after a period of 16 years away, it has remained there for seven seasons and was last relegated in 2008/09.

A hugely successful side in its infancy, the Baggies did well under Fred Everiss and won its first ever title in 1919/20. It had already claimed two FA Cup trophies in 1888 and 1892, before picking up three more later on in 1931, 1954 and 1968. Albion also managed to win the League Cup at its first attempt under Jimmy Hagan in 1966, but has never repeated the feat.

Out of the top flight from 1986 to 2002, the arrival of Gary Megson saw an upturn in their fortunes and a place in the Premiership was sealed and, even though they were relegated that season, they bounced straight up. Under Bryan Robson in 2004/05, it became the first club to avoid relegation having been bottom of the table at Christmas but yo-yoed between the Championship and top flight for the next few years, eventually finding stability under former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson. Now managed by Steve Clarke, the club finished 8th in the table last season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/13/west-brom-sold-out?

WhiteJC

Fulham v West Brom: Out of form pairing's woes to continue
Baggies have yet to score, while the Cottagers have lost their last five on home soil

Those hoping for an entertaining goalfest may want to avoid this one. Both teams have netted in just three of the previous eight encounters so selecting the 'no' option in the both teams to score market at evens should generate a return by the Thames.

West Brom enjoyed their greatest ever start to a Premier League season last year but a failure to win at Craven Cottage in this clash will see the Baggies equal their worst ever return from their opening four fixtures.

Steve Clarke's men travel to a ground where they have failed to register a victory on their last six visits, losing on five occasions.

The Midlands club also harbour an unimpressive record in the capital, winning on just four of their previous 39 jaunts to the city and they are 11/10 to be defeated once again by a London club when they face Fulham here.

The visitors have yet to notch a single goal in league competition and they are 9/5 to draw a blank in this one and become the first team since Swansea in 2011/12 to embark on a goalless run of four matches.

The Midlands outfit will, however, be boosted by their opponents dismal form.

The Cottagers have taken a mere seven points from their preceding 11 top flight games, securing the maximum return in two.

Martin Jol's side have also displayed frailties on their own patch in recent times, losing five on the spin, their longest run in their tenure at the summit, which could entice those favouring an away success at 5/2.

With two teams performing poorly and both struggling to register a win, the draw will undoubtedly gather real attention at 23/10.

Two of the last four between the duo have resulted in a stalemate and with just two goals between them a 0-0 scoreline appeals at 10/1, while getting behind fewer than 1.5 strikes at 12/5 is wise.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-v-west-brom-out-of-form-pairings-woes-to-continue_171738.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v West Brom

By Steve Bower
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 14 September

Fulham goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg could return after suffering a shoulder injury on his debut last month.
Aaron Hughes is a doubt with a thigh problem that saw him withdraw from Northern Ireland's squad in midweek, and Kieran Richardson is still out.

New West Brom signings Stephane Sessegnon and Morgan Amalfitano could well start, though Victor Anichebe lacks match fitness.
Midfielder James Morrison (groin) is a doubt.

MATCH PREVIEW

Even at this early stage, these two clubs will see this as a fixture for a potential welcome lift. This season is yet to ignite for either, after sluggish endings to the last campaign. Fulham have only won twice in their last 11 league matches and West Brom just once in their previous 12.

Three of Fulham's next four matches are at Craven Cottage, with Cardiff and Stoke following West Brom's visit. Those are the type of games Martin Jol will know he needs to get points from, to build a base to improve on last season's 12th place finish. His team have lost their last five Premier League matches at home and that needs to be addressed.

He'll hope Dimitar Berbatov can recapture some of his finer moments from last season, where he scored three times in two matches against the Baggies, and that Darren Bent can build on his debut goal against Arsenal.

The Fulham manager comes up against the club he played for 79 times, having only lost once to them in 10 meetings as a manager.

His opposite number Steve Clarke returns to the ground where he suffered his first managerial defeat a year ago. His business on deadline day was necessary and he'll be quietly desperate for his new boys to hit the ground running to help them to a first goal and victory of the season.

New club record signing Stephane Sessegnon has the potential to really improve the team's goal threat. Victor Anichebe, like Scott Sinclair, will feel he has a point to prove while with Long still at the club, more to come from Anelka and the emerging talent of Berahino, they collectively have to replace the 17 league goals that Romelu Lukaku scored last season.

West Brom's last league win at Fulham came in 1967. An end to that run, would help them begin to look forward again.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Fulham are unbeaten against West Brom in their past five matches, which have all been in the Premier League (W3, D2).

West Brom have never won at Fulham in the Premier League (in seven attempts).

The Baggies last won a league match at Craven Cottage in October 1967 (a 2-1 win). However, they did beat Fulham in west London in the 2005 League Cup sixth round - 3-2 after extra time.

Fulham
The Cottagers have lost seven of their last nine Premier League matches.

They have the same record after three games as they did last season (won one, lost two) - but had scored seven last term, compared to just twice this time around.

Darren Bent is the eighth player to score for six different clubs in the Premier League. The others are Nick Barmby, Marcus Bent, Craig Bellamy, Andy Cole, Peter Crouch, Les Ferdinand and Robbie Keane.

West Brom
West Brom remain winless in seven Premier League matches and failed to score in their opening three top-flight matches of the season for the first time since 1972-73.

The Baggies claimed 33 of 49 points in the first half of the 2012-13 season, but since then have taken just 17 points from 22 games (including this season).

Steve Clarke's side have had just four shots on target in their opening three games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23999576?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v West Brom

Martin Jol doesn't know his best team yet and, like a lot of clubs just after the transfer window, Fulham are still finding their way. But they are usually good at home and they have plenty of attacking players who can cause teams trouble.

They got a good win at Sunderland on the opening day but have struggled to fire since then, so maybe it is a case of choosing who partners Dimitar Berbatov while making sure they still have some defensive balance in the side.

West Brom have had a poor start, but they recognised that and have added forwards Stephane Sessegnon from Sunderland and Victor Anichebe from Everton, so Steve Clarke will hope that has addressed their problems going forward.

I think Sessegnon is a really good player. I don't know what happened to him at Sunderland - maybe he is a player who needs to be loved.

He can be the link between midfield and the striker, he makes things happen. He is a very talented lad and he will do well at Albion, I'm sure.

Prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24063093

WhiteJC

Striker reveals he turned down West Ham, Fulham, Stoke and Swansea

Peter Odemwingie claims he turned down a number of Premier League clubs before signing for Cardiff City in a £2.25million deal on transfer deadline day.

The Nigeria hitman fell badly out of favour at former club West Brom after attempting to force through a move to QPR in January.

Odemwingie is delighted to have now joined Cardiff and the 32-year-old says he also had interest from London duo West Ham and Fulham as well as Stoke City and Swansea City.

"The Cardiff fans have been great. People I've met have welcomed me and I know the great atmosphere they create," he said in a press conference.

"There was interest from West Ham, Fulham, Stoke and Swansea but I chose Cardiff as it was the best place for my family and I.

"I told my wife yesterday that what I see in this squad is stronger than West Brom."

http://www.london24.com/sport/west-ham/striker_reveals_he_turned_down_west_ham_fulham_stoke_and_swansea_1_2457576