https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

According to Jol

Started by Ordar, September 14, 2013, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Quote from: God The Mechanic on September 14, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
Quote from: Fulham76 on September 14, 2013, 09:39:02 PM
Did you go? Do you think we attacked at every opportunity & looked brave? Because we didn't & we weren't.
The facts are we had 2 shots on target. That's less than west brom, who looked very poor & hadn't scored before today.
I seriously can't understand anyone could dispute the fact that we are a negative team & very very slow going forward.

No I didn't, but I did watch the whole thing on a (n occasionally dodgy) stream.  The first half was really quite impressive in general play, but the second wasn't a patch on it.
Two shots on target isn't a particularly good looking stat, but that doesn't include the three goals that were marginally offside (the "off target" shots will also include Ruiz hitting the bar).  Include them in it an it starts to look a whole lot more favourable.  And whilst offside goals are of absolutely no use to the scoreline, disregarding them means you're not giving the overall play a fair assessment, which is what you criticised.  I would much rather a meaningful shot off target to a pitiful shot that hits the target - the latter boosts the positive stats, but in reality is practically worthless.

I'm not gonna contest that more often than not Fulham's attacking play is often very wanting, but there were more than a few instances today that were genuinely very promising.  There was good interplay between Ruiz, Berba and Kasami on a few occasions.  Kasami's driving runs were something that have been missing, and add Taarabt to that and the pace and movement off the ball will take a very sharp upturn to what we saw for pretty much all of last season.  Oh, and players got into attacking positions to score four goals - all of which were during passages of play that were still being genuinely contested, so not after the ref had blown and all but the scorer had stopped.

Today wasn't all bad, but there is a worrying undercurrent.
Well put, Mechanic.  You've talked me off the proverbial ledge. 

Fulham76

So far you've said
a. we made no effort to score a second goal
b. yes, we had three ruled out and a couple of weak penalty shouts but that doesn't count because they weren't done with speed or something, AND
c. because we didn't get into their penalty area WITH EVERY POSSESSION that proves we made no effort to score.

The thing is, that nobody is disagreeing that we are a negative team that plays slowly. We're disagreeing with your statement that we made no effort to score a second goal. We agree where you are correct, and disagree where you are so obviously wrong it amazes us you'd say it in the first place.
[/quote]

I didn't say A, B or C!
The closest to anything I said was point A. The point I was trying to make was we look so nervous going forward, as if we're scared to do something wrong & by the time we get forward, West Brom had 10 men behind the ball – making it twice as difficult. I agree we did try to score but because we weren't brave enough to be a little more positive, that left us hanging on for the last 10 minutes, which wouldn't have been the case had we really gone for it & got the 2nd or 3rd goal.
Point B. You asked me to explain why the off side goals didn't count as attempts on target, which I did. No mention of 'penalty shouts' or 'speed or something' from me...
Point C, sounds like you've snorted something! Certainly nothing I said.
Didn't realise we had to explain / spell things out word for word on here. To clarify, I agree we did try to score but if we'd been more positive, I think we would have won.

Bassey the warrior

Not a fan of sitting deep. West Brom are not a good side and not very dangerous. I want us to press the opposition all over the pitch like Swansea, Southampton and Arsenal.