more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff... (07/05/10)

Started by WhiteJC, May 07, 2010, 06:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197933
Fulham - Nevland`s Premier League Farewell!
Sunday could see the final appearance, in the Premier League, for our Norwegian forward Erik Nevland.

His return to Norwegian football, at the end of the season, has received much publicity and he returns there with the full blessing of the club.

With (Sir) Roy Hodgson set to field a weakened team at the Emirates Stadium, on Sunday, we`d be gob-smacked if Erik were not to start.

However, Roy surprised us all in midweek with his starting eleven selection for the visit from Stoke and Erik is under no illusion as to whether he`ll be picked or not, remarking,

"Players always want to play. There has to be a balance."

"I don`t know what team we will play at Arsenal. The gaffer might make a few changes, but I wouldn`t expect too many."

One last Premier League appearance, one last Premier League goal please Erik!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=197933#ixzz0nFGv9XT4

WhiteJC

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8689_6138347,00.html
CLICHY COULD RETURN FOR GUNNERS

Left-back Gael Clichy could be available for Sunday's final Barclays Premier League game of the season against Europa League finalists Fulham.

France international Clichy may make his return from an ankle problem, while Robin van Persie and Andrey Arshavin should start, but Tomas Rosicky (ankle), Alex Song (knee) and Nicklas Bendtner (groin) are still out.

Cesc Fabregas (knee), William Gallas (calf), Thomas Vermaelen (calf), Denilson (groin), goalkeeper Manuel Almunia (wrist) and Aaron Ramsey (leg) remain sidelined.

Teams:

Arsenal (from): Fabianski, Silvestre, Campbell, Traore, Sagna, Eboue, Walcott, Nasri, Diaby, Van Persie, Arshavin, Mannone, Djourou, Gibbs, Henderson, Eastmond, Eboue, Vela, Clichy.

Fulham (from): Will appear here...

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1483448.html?rss=1483448+Fulham+players+hail+Hodgson+factor
Fulham players hail Hodgson factor
Whether "honest man" or wily "old fox", there is universal respect at Fulham FC for Roy Hodgson, architect of their transformation from Premier League strugglers to European finalists.

Fulham FC's transformation from Premier League strugglers to European finalists has taken less than two years, and few have any doubts about who is responsible. Roy Hodgson, whether he is an "honest man" or wily "old fox", has ushered in a golden age at Fulham FC.

Sir Alex Ferguson joined a growing band of avowed Hodgson admirers when he last week claimed the 62-year-old was the only man in the running for the manager of the year award. "It is a miracle," the Manchester United FC chief said of Fulham's run to next week's UEFA Europa League final. "It is one of the best British performances of all time." And Sir Alex knows a thing or two about success on the continental stage.

As does Hodgson, who has accrued as much experience as he has air miles in the 34 years since the former English non-league player took his first role as coach at Sweden's Halmstads BK. After spells with FC Internazionale Milano and the Finnish and Swiss national teams, to name a few, he accepted a return to London (he was born in nearby Croydon) at the end of 2007. Fulham were struggling, and would come 14 minutes from relegation before clawing their way back – a Lazarus act re-enacted a few more times during this UEFA Europa League campaign.

The west London side have seen off UEFA Cup holders FC Shakhtar Donetsk, mustered a four-goal swing against Juventus and came from behind to beat 1983 European champions Hamburger SV in last week's semi-final decider. UEFA.com asks three of his players about the man with the Midas touch.

Danny Murphy, captain and midfielder
His contribution to the club in such a short space of time has been nothing short of amazing. He really has transformed the club, and the reason for that is because he's a knowledgeable man with his football. He treats people with respect and maturity and while they sound like obvious things for a manager, they're not I can assure you. He's an honest man. He's always there to talk to you and whether it be positive or negative, he will tell you how he's feeling, which is healthy I think – honesty is not always something that managers are good at.

In terms of his coaching he is a perfectionist. He works really hard on the training pitch with his other staff, to make sure the team plays the way he wants the team to play. We know our jobs; there's no question mark over what he wants from us, and I think you see the way we play, we are organised. He gets the lads playing, in terms of their commitment, hunger and work ethic.

Mark Schwarzer, goalkeeper
He's an old fox, isn't he? He's got a lot of experience from around the world, particularly European football, and I think that shows. Our style of football works really well for us in Europe, playing against European opposition, because of the way we want to play football, the way we close down our opposition, retain possession – we want to play the game in an effective way. Maybe not always the most entertaining way, but an effective way. The manager is obviously 100% behind that, and that's why we play like we do. He instils a great deal of confidence and he uses his experience to help the players along the way as well.

Aaron Hughes, defender
He has been around, all over the world; whether it's a national team or at a club level, he has seen a lot of different styles. He knows how different teams play and their styles, and has given us a platform to work off. He knows what he wants and how to get his players to do it. He likes us to play football in the right way, passing it around. At the same time, playing in the Premier League every week, you have to adapt sometimes, you have to be a bit more physical. When we defend, we defend well as a unit; everyone chips in and helps. When we attack we create problems for other teams – that has been big part of our success.
Related Items
Fulham and Atlético make for fascinating finalHodgson salutes Fulham history makersFulham fightback ends HSV dreamHodgson talks tacticsRoy HodgsonHodgson accepts Fulham positionHodgson on first-leg deficits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"His contribution to the club in such a short space of time has been nothing short of amazing. He really has transformed the club
Danny Murphy"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Our style of football works really well for us in Europe, playing against European opposition, because of the way we want to play football
Mark Schwarzer"

"He has been around, all over the world; whether it's a national team or at a club level, he has seen a lot of different styles
Aaron Hughes"©UEFA.com 1998-2010. All rights reserved.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/37927/Mourinho_beating_prentenders_Hodgson_Ferguson_Ancelotti__Redknapp.aspx
Mourinho beating prentenders Hodgson, Ferguson, Ancelotti & Redknapp

Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho is leading Sport.co.uk's latest poll 'Who has been the best manager in European football this season?' The former Chelsea FC boss is ahead of Fulham FC's Roy Hodgson, who has 25% of the vote, while Manchester United supremo Sir Alex Ferguson is in third just ahead of his Champions League conqueror, Luis Van Gaal of Bayern Munich. Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp will be cutting his managerial teeth in the Champions League next season, and the Spurs boss has 7% of the vote.

Chelsea FC's Carlo Ancelotti has just 2% of the vote, despite being on the verge of a domestic double. Surprisingly Manchester United' Sir Alex Ferguson has amassed more than 9%, although that pales compared to the Inter Milan boss who has won 42% of the vote. Fulham FC's exploits in the Europa League this season has rightly won plaudits in addition to some backing on Sport.co.uk. Like Inter Milan, Bayern Munich can still win the Treble, yet Luis Van Gaal has only won 7% of the vote, the same amount as Tottenham Hotspur's Redknapp.

Aside from the aforementioned managers from Inter Milan, Fulham FC, Chelsea FC, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, and Tottenham Hotspur  do you think anyone else is worthy of the votes. Steve McClaren perhaps?

WhiteJC

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/sport/football/premier_league_arsenal_wenger_praises_europa_league_finalists_fulham_1_295421
Premier League: Arsenal: Wenger praises Europa League finalists Fulham
ARSENAL face Fulham in their final Premier League fixture of the season on Sunday with manager Arsene Wenger praising his Craven Cottage counterpart Roy Hodgson.

A few years ago this would have been a typical end of season fare for Arsenal – one team has nothing to play for and the other has their minds on a bigger prize.

The somewhat alarming reality for Gunners fans, however, is that their season has been over for weeks, while Fulham have a little date in Hamburg to think about next week.

Reaching the Europa League final, where they will face Atletico Madrid on Wednesday night, is an achievement that still takes some believing.

Where all the Premier League heavyweights have failed in Europe this season, Fulham have excelled in reaching only their second ever major cup final.

The first was in 1975 when they were beaten in the FA Cup final by West Ham, but the 35-year wait has certainly proved worth hanging around for with this season's miracle run.

Let us not forget, Fulham's European quest started 10 months ago in July, has encompassed 18 games so far, and has seen them knock out the holders, Shakhtar Donetsk, Italian giants Juventus, Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg, and Hamburg, who were denied the chance to play the final in their own stadium by last week's breathtaking semi-final second leg win.

Perhaps even more impressive feat from Roy Hodgson's side is that they somehow dust themselves down and maintain their Premier League form, as last Sunday's 3-2 win over West Ham showed, which keeps them in with a chance of a top-half finish.

All of this has led to Arsene Wenger acclaiming Hodgson as deserving of the manager of the season award.

"Fulham and Roy have been fantastic," said the Gunners boss.

"They are the ones more than anybody else who have punched above their weight. And maybe that's why Roy deserves it [manager of the season].

"Their intelligence, experience and his scouting has been good. His buys have been good. He's bought players who aren't in the top three or four but have the level to flirt with it.

"Zamora, Duff have played at top clubs, Murphy has played at top clubs. They have players who can play at the top level but at some stage lost out.

"Hodgson is a fantastic manager – but there's no secret. You need good players and they have good players."

Not that many of them will be trotting out at the Emirates on Sunday – with the final just 72 hours later, it will be a strictly B team from Hodgson, and their Euro heroes such as Zamora, Davies, Duff, Hangeland and Schwarzer will all surely be rested.

Not that the squad players are nobodies. Defender Chris Smalling will play his final game before joining Manchester United, who he of course chose ahead of Arsenal, in the summer.

Chris Baird, Nicky Shorey and Stephen Kelly all have plenty of Premier League experience, while the likes of powerful South African Kagisho Dikgacoi and strikers Stefano Okaka and David Elm have already impressed in glimpses.

But Fulham's fans will be in party mood and really couldn't care less about Sunday's game as long as nobody who has a chance of playing in Hamburg gets injured.

As a result, and despite the professionalism shown by Hodgson's wonderful team this season, you can't help but feel they are the perfect opposition for an Arsenal side low on players and even lower on confidence.

If Arsenal can't raise themselves end the season on a high note, Fulham really would be the miracle men. But then again they have had some season...

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/aff/bfair/001044.php
ARSENAL v FULHAM - BIG BETFAIR PREVIEW
Betfair, 7 May 2010

Who would have thought that going into the last match of the season, Arsenal could end up finishing just fourth?

Unlikely defeats at Wigan and Blackburn, combined with Spurs' super run of form, mean that if they lose to Fulham and Spurs beat Burnley, they'll finish below their arch rivals.

If Arsenal don't show up, Fulham put out a strong side and play out of their skins that could happen but that's a lot of 'ifs'. For starters, Fulham won't be too fussed about what happens in this match and you can't blame them; they're about to play the biggest match of the club's history on Wednesday night, so clearly have bigger fish to fry.

I think Arsenal have had a decent season and would mark them as seven-and-a-half out of 10. They were unlucky with injuries at key times to key players. They missed Robin van Persie badly and fans of the Gunners will be left wondering what might have been if he hadn't got injured.

The losses to injury at different times of the likes of Cesc Fabregas and William Gallas didn't help either, and despite a decent run of scoring a couple of months ago, Nicklas Bendtner simply didn't score as many goals as Arsene Wenger would have liked him to, after getting an extended run in the team.

This is all for Wenger to ponder over the summer, but right now they need to win this match and make sure they finish at least third. I can't see that being a problem for a side as talented as this at home to a team with other things on their mind.

Recommended bets:
Back Arsenal to be leading at half-time and winning at full-time at 1.68
Back Arsenal to win 2-0 at 7.2

WhiteJC

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-have-not-tried-to-sign-hangeland?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29
Wenger - I have not tried to sign Hangeland

Arsène Wenger insists he has never tried to sign Brede Hangeland.

The Fulham centre back was regularly linked with a move to Arsenal last summer and his name has cropped up again ahead of this summer's transfer window.

Wenger could be in the market for a defender but told Arsenal TV Online that Hangeland has not been on his radar.

"I find he is a good player but we have never been in for him," said the Frenchman

WhiteJC

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/scharner_i_don_t_know_where_i_ll_end_up_1_764253
Scharner: I don't know where I'll end up

PAUL Scharner will make his final appearance for Wigan Athletic against Chelsea this weekend – but admits he has yet to make a decision on where his future lies.

The Austrian is out of contract this summer and will move on after four-and-a-half successful seasons with Wigan.

After expressing a desire to sample European club football, Scharner has been linked with moves to Everton, Fulham and Aston Villa.

But the 30-year-old has dismissed reports he has already put pen to paper with any of his potential suitors.

Scharner told the Reporter: "Everything that has been written about me is just paper talk.

'I am still not sure about the future – and all I am focusing on now is the Chelsea game and then going away on holiday."

Scharner said his goodbyes to the Wigan fans before, during and after Monday's draw with Hull, having the word 'Thanx' spray-painted on to the back of his head to show his appreciation for the support given to him over the years.

"It looks like that was my last game for Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium and it was a very emotional day for myself. Absolutely," he added.

"I've been here for four-and-a-half years, and I need to say a lot of thank yous.

"First of all to the chairman for giving me the chance to play in the Premier League.

"Secondly, to Wigan Athletic for always supporting me, especially when I was injured.

"Thirdly, to the supporters, who created a lovely song for me and will always have a place in my heart.

"I wanted to send a special message to the fans, and hopefully they all noticed it in my hair.

"I was thinking of how I could say 'thank you' to the supporters, and I'm known for my crazy haircuts so I thought it would be perfect to finish with.

"I did have a tear in my eye at the end because I have had a very nice time at Wigan, and I wish everyone at the club good luck for the future."

Scharner is hoping to bow out in style at Stamford Bridge this weekend, with Latics looking to follow up their 3-1 victory over the Blues earlier in the season in which he scored the crucial third goal.

Latics have released season ticket details for the 2010-11 campaign, with prices frozen for the fourth year in a row.

There are new offers for families to watch every game, with two adults and two under-16s able to purchase a family pass for £500, as well as a new "Dads and Lads" ticket for £300.

Prices for Under-21s have been reduced from £250 to £190, while season-ticket holders can now pay over eight months rather than the previous four months.

A new micro-website is being launched (www.laticsseasontickets.com) that gives fans the chance to check out the full benefits, while fans can also renew at the ticket office or by calling 0871 6633552.

"We don't want us to be looking over our shoulder every season any more", said Roberto Martinez.

"We want this to be a top-10 club, a club challenging for Europe and a model for other teams.

"With your patience and understanding this season, the fans have made a real difference.

"The atmosphere generated here for the Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal games in particular made me so proud to be involved with this club, and this is the cauldron- like feeling that we need to replicate every week.

"The supporters have a vital role to play as we attempt to move the club onto the next level and I hope that everyone books their seat for next season, because it's going to be really exciting again."

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8665276.stm
Arsenal    v    Fulham

TEAM NEWS
Arsenal defender Gael Clichy could return after a one-match absence with an ankle injury.

Russian forward Andrey Arshavin is fit to start, with Carlos Vela most likely to make way for him.

Fulham are expected to play a weakened team as they prepare for the Europa League final next Wednesday.

Damien Duff is unlikely to feature after limping out of the midweek home defeat against Stoke with a leg muscle injury.

Arsenal

Doubtful: Almunia (wrist), Clichy & Gibbs (both ankle)

Injured: Bendtner & Denilson (both groin), Djourou & Song (both knee), Fabregas & Ramsey (both broken leg), Gallas & Vermaelen (both calf), Rosicky (ankle)

Fulham

Doubtful: Duff (leg) Injured: A Johnson (knee), Zamora (Achilles)

MATCH PREVIEW
There was a hung parliament when Fulham made their first league visit to Arsenal in 1914, but the result of this fixture has rarely been in doubt over the last century.
Arsenal have never lost at home to Fulham, which will provide some solace to Gunners fans concerned at the prospect of conceding third place to north London rivals Tottenham.

Arsenal have not been outside of the league's top three since the beginning of December and a point would ensure automatic qualification for the Champions League group stages. It would also eclipse last season's points tally.

Nonetheless, their title chances evaporated in the final weeks of the season, and manager Arsene Wenger has admitted he needs to add a couple of experienced players to his squad this summer.

Fulham's focus is on Wednesday's Europa League final. Their request to play this game 24 hours earlier was turned down by the Premier League, and it seems probable that manager Roy Hodgson will elect to rest several of his key players.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• Arsenal have never lost at home to Fulham, winning 19 and drawing three of their 22 league meetings and also triumphing in their only cup tie.

• Fulham's only win in their last six league matches against Arsenal was 1-0 at Craven Cottage in August 2008.

Arsenal

• Arsenal have only won one of their last six league games and picked up a solitary point from the last 12 available.

• However, they are on a six-match unbeaten run at home, winning five and keeping a clean sheet in the last three.

• They have won each of their last six home matches on the final day of the season since losing 3-1 to Tottenham in May 1993.

• Robin van Persie has scored three goals in his last five matches against Fulham, including the winner at Craven Cottage earlier this season.

Fulham

• Fulham have failed to win a Premier League away game in 17 attempts since beating Portsmouth on the opening day of the season.

• If they fail to win on Sunday it will be the third time in the last five years that they have picked up only one away victory all season.

• Erik Nevland scored their first league goal in eight away matches at Everton on 25 April.

• They have scored 12 first-half goals this season - fewer than any other club in the division.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Arsenal

Fabregas: 19 goals (15 league);
Bendtner: 12 goals (6 league)

Fulham

Zamora: 19 goals (8 league); Gera: 10 goals (2 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Mike Jones

Assistant referees: Andy Newbold & Phil Sharp

Fourth official: Mick Russell

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Arsenal (L1-2 v Blackburn, a): Fabianski; Sagna, Campbell, Silvestre, Traore, Eboue (Eduardo 77), Diaby, Walcott, Nasri, Vela (Arshavin 67), van Persie. Subs not used: Mannone, Djourou, Gibbs, Eastmond, Henderson.

Fulham (L0-1 v Stoke, h): Schwarzer; Pantsil (Okaka 86), Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky, Duff (Nevland 46), Murphy, Etuhu, Davies, Dempsey, Gera. Subs not used: Zuberbuhler, Baird, Riise, Smalling, Dikgacoi.

MOST RECENT MEETING

Fulham 0-1 Arsenal (26 September 2009)

Arsenal scorer: van Persie 52

PERMUTATIONS
Arsenal's highest possible finish: 3rd

Arsenal's lowest possible finish: 4th

Fulham's highest possible finish: 9th

Fulham's lowest possible finish: 13th