watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Shahid's dilemma

Started by SP, September 29, 2013, 09:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Our new owner is seemingly facing a huge decision, pretty early in his tenancy too, stick or twist?  Get this one wrong & it may be curtains.  Perhaps he'll go with what he knows & appoint a fellow countryman?  That narrows it down a fair bit, Brian McBride or, erm, Imran Khan?

:wine: :wine: :wine:

Ruiz11

Shahid Khan is an intelligent and astute businessman and therefore was unwilling to give Jol, a man he had never met before, money to spend. If he wasn't sure about Martin before, he's bound to think he's not the man after recent results. I think Jol will be sacked soon.

btings

The best American coach available right now is probably Bob Bradley, but I highly doubt he would abandon Egypt this close to World Cup qualification (and would be a bit heartbroken if he did).

If Khan is going to sack early in the season, I have a hunch it may happen at the start of the next international break, to give the new manager an extra week with the bulk of the team.  (This is how it's done in the NFL, but with bye weeks instead of int'l breaks.)

The problem for Khan is: he's so new, who could he trust to help him pick a manager?

Andy S

Mr Khan will not make rash decisions. He is a business man in unknown waters. He will take plenty of advice from various American owners in the sport. You never know Jol may have turned it around by then.

Jack Fulham

I hope he doesn't appoint an American football coach :54:

RidgeRider

Quote from: SP on September 29, 2013, 09:08:18 PM
Our new owner is seemingly facing a huge decision, pretty early in his tenancy too, stick or twist?  Get this one wrong & it may be curtains.  Perhaps he'll go with what he knows & appoint a fellow countryman?  That narrows it down a fair bit, Brian McBride or, erm, Imran Khan?

This sounds like a silly wind up. Exactly what's the logic in having an American manage Fulham? Are you suggesting he is so naive he would look at home (the US) to coach a team in London just because he is American...and maybe he follows soccer here? How do you know that Khan doesn't follow the premier league like I do, and furthermore would only know anything about soccer coaches in the US? Anyway, I am just not sure why the suggestion of a US coach.

I'm pretty sure he will be talking to knowledgeable football people before he replaces Jol and will talk to knowledgeable football people to find a replacement, if in fact that is what he plans to do. In fact, I am certain he has already been doing this just based on his interview with Charlie Rose.

A man who has amassed his kind of wealth, does this by getting good advice (learning from the best), and making gut level decisions after factoring in all perspectives.

YankeeJim

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 30, 2013, 12:48:51 AM

This sounds like a silly wind up. Exactly what's the logic in having an American manage Fulham? Are you suggesting he is so naive he would look at home (the US) to coach a team in London just because he is American...and maybe he follows soccer here? How do you know that Khan doesn't follow the premier league like I do, and furthermore would only know anything about soccer coaches in the US? Anyway, I am just not sure why the suggestion of a US coach.

I'm pretty sure he will be talking to knowledgeable football people before he replaces Jol and will talk to knowledgeable football people to find a replacement, if in fact that is what he plans to do. In fact, I am certain he has already been doing this just based on his interview with Charlie Rose.

A man who has amassed his kind of wealth, does this by getting good advice (learning from the best), and making gut level decisions after factoring in all perspectives.

Riggie, you know how those damn Americans are. Heck, Khan might even have the brains to hire real football men like Hughes, Jol and Sanchez.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Forever Fulham

Touche, YJ.  How much of our current woes can be fairly placed at Jol's feet?  It seems to me that the MAF was getting the club prepped for sale, was holding back funds for young dynamic players with high price tags, leaving Jol with no alternative  but to get 'creative' with loans and short term deals for slower older players whose greatness had passed.  On the other hand, I'll never forgive him for the "Clint refuses to play" lies he perpetrated back when, so he can take his unimaginative-won't-adapt-to-changing-conditions mindset, his canned answers to reporters' questions, his failure to bring in the juniors and give them their fair shot, and leave before the hole he's dug gets any deeper.  I'm still made, however, at the team for letting themselves and Jol down with that poor performance against Cardiff.  They must have known his job was on the line.  Those that owed their positions on the team to him should have died of exhaustion on the pitch before the game ended.  Shame on them.  I question their heart.  Say Jol leaves.  We're still stuck with players who owed everything to Jol -- he brought them on, and they let their poor play cause the axe to fall.  To me, that's a character issue.  I see players on other teams mob their manager when one of them scores.  Just look at Aston Villa.  They seem to love their guy.  No one is hugging Jol. 

Logicalman

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Forever Fulham on September 30, 2013, 03:22:01 AM
Touche, YJ.  How much of our current woes can be fairly placed at Jol's feet?  It seems to me that the MAF was getting the club prepped for sale, was holding back funds for young dynamic players with high price tags, leaving Jol with no alternative  but to get 'creative' with loans and short term deals for slower older players whose greatness had passed.  On the other hand, I'll never forgive him for the "Clint refuses to play" lies he perpetrated back when, so he can take his unimaginative-won't-adapt-to-changing-conditions mindset, his canned answers to reporters' questions, his failure to bring in the juniors and give them their fair shot, and leave before the hole he's dug gets any deeper.  I'm still made, however, at the team for letting themselves and Jol down with that poor performance against Cardiff.  They must have known his job was on the line.  Those that owed their positions on the team to him should have died of exhaustion on the pitch before the game ended.  Shame on them.  I question their heart.  Say Jol leaves.  We're still stuck with players who owed everything to Jol -- he brought them on, and they let their poor play cause the axe to fall.  To me, that's a character issue.  I see players on other teams mob their manager when one of them scores.  Just look at Aston Villa.  They seem to love their guy.  No one is hugging Jol. 

Absolutely - This is just as much Jol's fault as it is the players...maybe even more so on the players for failing to play with any enthusiasm. We can point at the manager and call him Judas, but does he actually kick the ball? No. He trains them the best he can, but at the end of the day it is up to them to perform. If the lads were giving 100% without question and they continued to lose then we would know it was the gaffer and his tactics, however, if the players are not giving their all, then it may not be the gaffer or his style, but the players and their lack of heart.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Holders

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 30, 2013, 12:48:51 AM

Absolutely right, RR. Just as Fayed had high quality advisors (the Tigana and Roy appointments came out of the blue), so will Khan. He may also talk to Fayed.

Also, it's wrong to assume that because he's lived in the US since he was 14(?) that he has no knowledge of football and even more bizarre that, consequently, he will therefore appoint a US manager!. 

I was interested in the suggestion that he's already been making enquiries. I'd be amazed if he hadn't, he didn't get where he is by being naiive.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

premFlem

I think the players up till saturday had been giving 100% but the negative tactics finally made them give up the ghost. I think Jol must have realised  he had lost the dressing room against Everton when newboy Parker had to give a half-time pep talk to the players, not a good sign at all . When Parker went off injured early on in the game it was all over
. Shad needs to take good advice quick on who should come in and take control.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

The Old Count

Quote from: maoconnor on September 30, 2013, 04:09:42 AM

Absolutely - This is just as much Jol's fault as it is the players...maybe even more so on the players for failing to play with any enthusiasm. We can point at the manager and call him Judas, but does he actually kick the ball? No. He trains them the best he can, but at the end of the day it is up to them to perform. If the lads were giving 100% without question and they continued to lose then we would know it was the gaffer and his tactics, however, if the players are not giving their all, then it may not be the gaffer or his style, but the players and their lack of heart.

The best managers: Ferguson, Ramsey, Clough, Mourinho and yes, Roy Hodgson, decide on the style they want their team to play and get the the best players they can to fill the positions. Mr Jol tries to get players to play his style in positions that don't suit them. Hence the players not being comfortable in their best positions.
We saw a classic example with Brede (amongst many others) against Cardiff. He had a mare 'cos where he was asked to play did not and never has suited him.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: The Old Count on September 30, 2013, 09:38:13 AM
Quote from: maoconnor on September 30, 2013, 04:09:42 AM

The best managers: Ferguson, Ramsey, Clough, Mourinho and yes, Roy Hodgson, decide on the style they want their team to play and get the the best players they can to fill the positions. Mr Jol tries to get players to play his style in positions that don't suit them. Hence the players not being comfortable in their best positions.
We saw a classic example with Brede (amongst many others) against Cardiff. He had a mare 'cos where he was asked to play did not and never has suited him.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree here. Playing "out of position" doesn't excuse that performance. He may well be carrying an injury, but he wasn't doing anything well. He was by no means alone in that regard.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

TheManOnTheBus

Quote from: premFlem on September 30, 2013, 09:14:43 AM
I think the players up till saturday had been giving 100% but the negative tactics finally made them give up the ghost. I think Jol must have realised  he had lost the dressing room against Everton when newboy Parker had to give a half-time pep talk to the players, not a good sign at all . When Parker went off injured early on in the game it was all over

First time I had heard this.  How do you know this?

premFlem

Quote from: TheManOnTheBus on September 30, 2013, 04:47:49 PM
Quote from: premFlem on September 30, 2013, 09:14:43 AM

First time I had heard this.  How do you know this?

Jol mentioned it in the post match  interview.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away