News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We've said the players need a kick up the backside, who better to hand it out...

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, October 01, 2013, 02:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

jarv

Never been sure about him. Bit of a tub thumper and tea cup thrower I think. Not exactly the Roy type. I think we are more likely to end up with someone not very well known, bit of a risk but Southampton and Swansea are doing ok.

Nero

HatterDon

Mind you, he knows a bit about free kicks. Apparently, nobody on the current team or coaching squad does.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Buffalo76

cmg

Presumably a joke (and quite a good one at that), Stuart Pearce is a typical example of someone who would seem to have the inspirational qualities to become a good manager yet turns out to be....well, I suppose hopeless is a bit strong, but you get the general drift.

Wikipedia has a handy list of all those who have managed in the PL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_managers

which bears a few moments study. It's full of inspirational, usually midfield, types who failed spectacularly to make an impact. Might be worth bearing in mind when considering the merits of Danny Murphy.

There isn't much in the way of clues as to what makes a successful manager. Apart from a baffling over-representation of Scotsmen, there is no common denominator. Playing wise they vary from 'all-time great' (Michael Laudrup) to 'not even good enough to slice up the oranges at half-time' (which would cover three of the managers of the current top five!). Success breeds success, of course, but old lags like Bruce and Allerdyce stay on the merry-go-round despite never having won anything (I suppose, if one were cruel, one could add Jol to that group).

I don't much mind whether Jol goes or stays (I think managers' impact tends to be overstated, the players being the important factor). But, like politicians, all managers' careers end in failure [one or two exceptions - Herbert Chapman and Jock Stein died in office. Sir A got out at the top] and I guess our manager has run his course. We might be advised to take a punt on a young 'improver' rather than appoint one of the tired old names that have been bandied about so far.

leonffc

Pearce, Martin O'Niell. Lets throw Graham Taylor in the mix and really make my day  fp.gif

Logicalman

Quote from: HatterDon on October 01, 2013, 03:28:00 PM
Mind you, he knows a bit about free kicks. Apparently, nobody on the current team or coaching squad does.

.. or tactics, it appears.