Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2013, 03:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham v Stoke

By John Motson
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 5 October

Fulham will be without midfielder Scott Parker, who limped out of the defeat by Cardiff with a calf injury after just seven minutes last weekend.

Ashkan Dejagah could also be absent with injury, while Aaron Hughes is out after suffering a knock in training.

Stoke forward Jonathan Walters faces a fitness test on a groin problem.

Winger Matthew Etherington is available, having missed the defeat by Norwich after suffering whiplash in a car accident.

MATCH PREVIEW
There's a lot to talk about where Fulham are concerned. It's been widely suggested they need an upturn in form for Martin Jol to keep his job.

You can never be sure how patient new owners are going to be, so the Dutchman will need to impress Shahid Khan soon. That last-minute defeat by Cardiff was a major blow. Jol certainly showed his emotions at the final whistle, reflecting the fact that Fulham have lost four out of five.

The Cottagers are a bit soft; they have conceded in the last 10 minutes of their previous four Premier League games and have not come from behind to win since April 2012. They seem brittle, with low powers of recovery.

Stoke have had a wobble and it may take them a while to become a formidable away team under Mark Hughes, who returns to a club he managed in 2010-11, when they finished eighth in the Premier League.

That was no mean feat in the end but I'm not sure Fulham fans have huge affection for Hughes, and it will be revealing to see what kind of welcome both managers get at Craven Cottage.

Fulham shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they've been in the Premier League for 13 consecutive seasons, which is a heck of a good record. The season is only six games old, but judgements are often made so quickly these days, and the fans and board are desperate to see an improvement - especially at home.

Stoke are in transition. They need to evolve this closer passing game without completely dismissing the physicality and directness they developed under Tony Pulis. The danger is falling between two stools and I think that's what happened against Norwich last weekend, when they only had one shot on goal.

I see it being a tight game - there's too much to lose, and neither team are brimming with confidence. The Berbatov-Bent combination hasn't sparked yet, but Fulham can't leave Berbatov out because he can produce a goal out of nothing. Stoke don't really have that, and perhaps that's what Hughes needs to work on as the season progresses.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
Stoke and Fulham have each won their home Premier League fixture against each other in the past two seasons.

In their last 16 league and cup meetings, there has only once been more than three goals scored in the match.

Fulham
Fulham are winless in their last seven league matches at Craven Cottage - their worst run without a home win in the top flight since 1966.
They have kept just one clean sheet in their last 18 home matches in the Premier League.
The Cottagers have lost four and only won one of their six Premier League games so far. At the same stage last season, they had won three and lost three.

Stoke City
They have not won in three Premier League matches.
Stoke's only shot on target last weekend against Norwich came in the 79th minute; they had managed at least three shots on target in every other Premier League game this season.
The Potters are now one of six teams that have scored the joint-fewest goals in the Premier League this season (alongside Norwich, West Ham, Fulham, Crystal Palace and Sunderland).
Kenwyne Jones could feature in his 100th match for Stoke, on his 29th birthday.
Asmir Begovic will also make his 100th appearance for the club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24350199?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Stoke City: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Stoke City at Craven Cottage on Saturday Oct 5, 2013, kick-off 15.00 (BST).

Saturday, October 5
Fulham v Stoke City
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 BST.
TV: Highlights BBC ONE Match of the Day.

Fulham (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Stockdale; Reither, Hangeland, Amorebieta, Richardson; Sidwell, Kacaniklic; Kasami, Berbatov, Ruiz; Bent.
Out: Dejagah (calf), Briggs (hernia), Stekelenburg (shoulder), Parker (calf), Hughes (thigh).

Stoke City (Possible, 4-5-1): Begovic; Cameron, Huth, Shawcross, Pieters; Walters, N'Zonzi, Wilson, Adam, Arnautovic; Jones.
Test: Walters (groin).

Referee: Roger East. Matches: 1. R0 Y2.

Team News
Fulham will be without midfielder Scott Parker for the Premier League game against Stoke because of a calf problem.

Defender Aaron Hughes (thigh) is still not match fit, while goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg continues his recovery from a shoulder problem.

Midfielder Ashkan Dejagah (calf) is also still sidelined along with defender Matthew Briggs (hernia).

Meanwhile, forward Jonathan Walters is Stoke's only injury doubt ahead.

The Republic of Ireland international suffered a groin injury in the loss to Norwich last week and will be assessed.

Midfielder Matthew Etherington did not feature against the Canaries after suffering whiplash in a car accident but he is available.

Match Notes
Martin Jol is urging Fulham fans to be calm, but the club's woeful home form is a major part of their slide to 18th.

Fulham have taken only one point from a possible 21 at home since April 1st, a draw with WBA last month, and the natives are restless.

Stoke manager Mark Hughes is no favourite with Fulham fans after his short spell at Craven Cottage, but his side won in London earlier this season when they beat West Ham.

Betting: Home 13-10, Away 19-10, Draw 12-5.

Stat of the game: Fulham have gone seven games at Craven Cottage without a win, their worst home league run since October 1966.

Gerry Cox's prediction: Fulham 1 Stoke City 1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10348125/Fulham-v-Stoke-City-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham manager Martin Jol urges fans to 'keep cool'

Martin Jol has urged restless Fulham fans to "keep cool" and get behind their team against Stoke on Saturday.

Jol has come under fire following a poor start to the season, with last weekend's stoppage-time defeat to Cardiff leaving them in the bottom three.

But while the Dutchman insists he can cope with the boo-boys, he wants a Craven Cottage atmosphere to galvanise his players.

"I always feel that (the fans) are entitled to have an opinion, but they have to

keep their cool - like the players, the manager and the staff," Jol said at his pre-match press conference.

"It's not after 30 games, it's after five or six games, and if you see the other teams, they're pretty cool as well.

"I see my mate (Norwich manager) Chris Hughton getting a win (against Stoke

last Sunday); three points, so they are on seven points now, and it's not a lot different here.

"I am strong, I feel eager to do well, I feel eager to challenge and to battle and to come out of this situation. And what is six games? I am ready to battle for 38 games.

"I think the club will be fine; we will be fine because we've got some good players if everybody is there, and even when I've got two or three injuries we will be fine.

"As it is now, I don't think there will be a problem but you need the support of your supporters. They don't have to support me, but give us a break, give us a chance to get us back on track.

"We've got some good players. I think our squad is probably better than before, the only thing is we need a break, we need three points.

"We're on four points - if we get three points with a win then we're on seven points and everything looks a bit better."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8956929/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool 2-4 Fulham U18s

Watch the goals as our Barclays U18 Premier League Champions got back to winning ways when they visited Liverpool.

Liverpool 2-4 Fulham, Barclays U18 Premier League

Fulham's Under-18s returned to winning ways on Wednesday afternoon with a 4-2 thumping of Liverpool.

Steve Wigley's side made the trip to the Reds' Kirkby Academy base and made light work of their Merseyside counterparts following last Saturday's disappointing defeat against Newcastle United - their first loss of the 2013/14 campaign.

In-form striker Moussa Dembele capped a bright start for Fulham, adding the finishing touch to a jinking run from Patrick Roberts on 25 minutes, by curling in from 15 yards.

Roberts and Dembele both went close to extending the Whites' lead, before Daniel Trickett-Smith levelled from the spot on 40 minutes with the referee adjudging George Williams to have handled in the box.

However, within minutes Wigley's charges were back in front with Williams making amends with a confident strike following a clever pass from Solomon Sambou.

Liverpool responded positively after the break, and by pressurising their opponents higher up the pitch, gradually began to push Fulham back.

However, the Whites used the space to their advantage, with Josh Smile setting Roberts on his way. The England youth international ran at the Liverpool defence before smashing in from the edge of the box on the hour mark.

Two minutes later, Fulham had a fourth, with the impressive Smile freeing Dembele with another probing pass. The French youngster kept his cool, finishing smartly beyond the home keeper to claim his 12th goal of the season. Harry Wilson snatched a late consolation for the Reds.

Academy Director Huw Jennings said: "It was important that the boys got back into their momentum because, in truth, Saturday's performance against Newcastle was pretty lacklustre.

"They'd won six games on the bounce, but came back down to earth last time out. But sometimes, especially at this level, defeat can serve you well because they were forced to react. Different experiences are vital for their development.

"There were a lot of positives, and again, they showed that they know where the goal is. It was a bit up and down at times, but it was a deserved three points. Our two goals in the second half came against the run of play, but I thought our play probably warranted more in the first half.

"We'll be looking for more of the same when we make the trip to Leicester City on Saturday, and that will be another test for the boys. They [Leicester] are a bit more direct than Liverpool, so it's another style to go up against.

"It will be our third game in eight days, with matches coming thick and fast before a short break in the fixture calendar. But, as always, we'll go out and play our own game and hopefully continue the good work."

Fulham: Rodak, Baba (Sheckleford), Evans, Donnelly, Burgess, Sambou (Nabay), O'Halloran, Smile, Dembele, Roberts (Leacock-McLeod), Williams.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/04/liverpool-u18s-highlights?

WhiteJC

Jol On Young Whites

Manager Martin Jol explains his youth player policy and how he integrates future Whites first-teamers into the squad.

Tickets for Fulham v Stoke are still available on General Sale. Buy yours online at fulhamfc.com/tickets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJmmGDbAZY#t=39

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/04/jol-on-young-whites?

WhiteJC

Prindi's Premier League Picks: Stoke to beat Fulham, Jol gets sacked

Fulham vs. Stoke City (Sat 10:00am ET on NBC Live Extra; Craven Cottage)

The yuck match of the weekend pits a goal-starved Fulham against rough-and-tumble Stoke City, looking to make amends for last week's home loss to Norwich City. Fulham have won four of their five Barclays Premier League home games against Stoke, including the last three in a row at Craven Cottage. But having averaged 426 passes per game under Mark Hughes, this is a new Stoke side and one that desperately needs to return to their winning ways.

Fulham are heavy favorites but I think Stoke (11/5) win and Martin Jol gets sacked. You heard it here, peeps.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/04/prindis-premier-league-picks-stoke-to-beat-fulham-jol-gets-sacked/?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham v Stoke City

Mark Hughes returns to Craven Cottage at the helm of a Stoke side looking to take advantage of Fulham's current woes.

How quickly things change.

One year ago, Mark Hughes was perhaps the most reviled manager in Fulham's recent history. The soft-spoken Welshman left Craven Cottage in the summer of 2011 after less than one year at the helm because, as he controversially suggested, Fulham lacked ambition. When he returns to west London Saturday as Stoke City's latest manager, he'll match wits with an under siege manager who has essentially said twelfth position is good enough for Fulham and is currently dragging the club through a decidedly yellow patch. Yellow is the opposite of purple apparently. I Googled it.

Mark Hughes, although he'll most likely hear some boos, could probably murder a puppy with a sledgehammer at midfield before the match and still not be the most unpopular manager at the Cottage come Saturday. Martin Jol is all but out of time and a brief respite from supporters calling for his job with a cup win against Everton following a 2-0 loss to west London rivals Chelsea was short-lived after Fulham gave up yet another stoppage time goal to drop all three points against Premier League new boys Cardiff last weekend.

A visit from the Potters, not exactly setting the world on fire themselves, would seem just the sort of fixture Fulham needs to get back on track, but the same could have been said about Cardiff's trip down the M4 and look how that turned out. The club has faults and a tweak here and there isn't what's required at the moment. Poor set piece defending, a terminal lack of pace, an absence of creativity in midfield, a talisman who plays his own match in his own head, an isolated target forward too often left to Sisyphean toil in the wilderness of the attacking third, a regrettable penchant for giving up stoppage time goals, and a manager seemingly impotent to reverse even one of these suddenly definitive characteristics...did I miss anything?

Bleak doesn't begin to describe the mood of most of the Fulham faithful.

Still, I'm inclined to believe Martin Jol when he says Fulham has the players to win matches. Maybe not matches against the luminary sides of the Premier League, but against Newcastle, Cardiff, and Stoke? Surely. And yet they've not. Should Fulham put in another underwhelming performance at home Saturday and drop points to the suddenly less-reviled Mark Hughes, the steady roar calling for Martin Jol's tenure as manager to come to an end will become a blaring cacophony of vitriol. Jol out.

Stoke may be without Jonathan Walters who is suffering from a groin injury, but look to have a complete squad otherwise. Fulham, on the other hand, will likely be missing Scott Parker and Aaron Hughes, Ashkan Dejagah, Matthew Briggs, and Maarten Stekelenburg remain long-term absentees. This could mean a return to the starting XI for Bryan Ruiz and it will be interesting to see where he's deployed. My hope would be that he'd find himself somewhere in the middle of the park to shove Dimitar Berbatov further up the pitch in the hopes that he might finally form even the semblance of a partnership with Darren Bent who will otherwise find himself lonely and brutalized by the Potters' murderous central defenders.

I'll refrain from making any predictions, but suffice it to say, Fulham and Martin Jol need all three points. Anything less would certainly mean the end of the Jol era. There's a sizeable portion of Fulham supporters who wouldn't see this as a bad thing. Short term pain for long term gain. I, for one, hope this doesn't come to pass. I just couldn't take a smug Mark Hughes.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/10/4/4802796/preview-fulham-v-stoke-city?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Stoke

Fulham boss Martin Jol is feeling the heat but I think he is a really good manager who is just having a really bad time.

Of course, because Fulham have got a new owner and Jol wasn't his pick, you start thinking that there is a bit of inevitability about him being sacked.

Jol has got matchwinners in his squad, it is just he does not know his best team yet.

I would like to see more of the Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov partnership up front because, if they click, Fulham will start creating and scoring goals.

The crowd have been on Jol's back recently but on Saturday they might focus on Stoke boss Mark Hughes, who quit as Cottagers manager in 2011 because he said Fulham could not match his ambitions. They will want to put one over him.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0
Palin's prediction: 1-2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24338311?

WhiteJC

Could Fulham's prudence be undermining Martin Jol?

It's do or die for Martin Jol. Defeat to Stoke City on Saturday and, surely, he will be ousted as manager of Fulham by the somewhat enigmatic character that is Shahid Khan.

Khan is new to football, of course, but he is not one to suffer fools lightly. His brief history in American Football shows that, though the fortunes of his Jacksonville Jaguars franchise bears a quite stark resemblance to that of our own, beloved FFC.

And that's no good thing. The Jaguars are bottom of their respective division having lost each of their four games so far. Fortunately for them, and Khan, relegation is no concern thanks to its lack of existence across the pond.

For some time now, Jol has been forced to work under conditions geared towards spinning a profit

Here, though, it is a very real threat; one which is looming quite heavily over Craven Cottage, despite the season's relative youth.

Undoubtedly, our American owner is aware of the possibility of demotion in the democratic land of England – you'd have to be simply ignorant not to – but is he wise to its consequences? The steep drop in income? The drop in attendance? The humiliation?

Only he could answer that but, while we continue to, justifiably, point an enraged finger at Martin Jol, perhaps we should also pose some serious questions to those further up the hierarchy, for our prudent, penurious approach simply isn't working.

Martin Jol is under fire at Craven Cottage (Picture: AP)
For some time now, Jol has been forced to work under conditions geared towards spinning a profit and while that's all well and good when in the pursuit of self-sustainability, there comes a point when investment is quite clearly necessary. Regrettably for Fulham, that time was this summer.

We did spend some money – Maarten Stekelenburg cost £5 million, Scott Parker probably topped the £2 million mark – but compared to those around us in the league, Fulham were positively frugal. Part of that has to be down to Khan who, as is typical of American owners on British shores, is keen to treat the club as a business rather than the beacon of hope, merriment and disdain that it can be to us supporters.

That's no offence in itself, it must be said, but at the very least it sheds some light on the situation Jol is currently in. Yes, he picks the team, but he can only work with what he's given. Of late, that hasn't been very much.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/04/could-fulhams-prudence-be-undermining-martin-jol-4134818/?

WhiteJC

Three Fulham Players Who Must Step-Up If Jol's Men Are To Avoid A Relegation Fight

When Pajtim Kasami headed home the winner on the opening day of the season against Sunderland, it looked like business as usual for Fulham. They are a perennial mid-table club who have been plodding along in the Premier League for over a decade now and everyone expected that trend to continue.

But since that victory, they have gone five games without a win and have seemingly lacked ideas, which is a worrying sight for the Cottagers. They have created the least amount of chances (32) in the whole Premier League which is surprising considering the attacking talent that under-pressure manager Martin Jol has at his disposal.

Now let's take a look at three members of Fulham's attacking conglomerate who need to start performing if they are to avoid a relegation fight.

Dimitar Berbatov
Berbatov was a superstar for Fulham last season as he notched up 15 league goals, almost single-handedly steering the Cottagers away from any danger but it just has not happened for him yet this season. He has struggled to use his silky touches to good effect or get in the correct positions to score. Berbatov has not got off the mark so far season and has only managed six attempts on goal in his five appearances.

Fulham need their talisman to find his form quickly if they are to have a successful campaign.

Adel Taarabt
One player who was not at the club last season was season-long loanee Adel Taarabt, who was busy getting relegated with QPR. Despite this unfortunate experience, Taarabt was the Hoops' star performer by some distance, notching up a Performance Score of 1240, which was more than double any of his teammates' figure. He also managed to create 76 chances and win 83 take-ons, figures which persuaded Jol to swoop for the Moroccon in the summer.

However, the contrast has been astounding this season as Taarabt has struggled to find his feet at Craven Cottage, despite scoring once in the Capital One Cup. He is yet to score or create a single chance in his five league appearances, which is astounding for one so talented.

Bryan Ruiz
Ruiz received many plaudits for his strike against Cardiff, which showed off his obvious technical abilities. However, in truth, the Costa Rican had been completely ineffective this season before this moment of finesse. He has completed just 75% of his passes and just 43% of his shots have been on target. Like Taarabt, for a player who plays in the attacking midfield role, his statistics have not been good enough.

Perhaps the general consensus surrounding Fulham is that they have too many flair players and not enough work-rate in their side. This opinion is backed up by the fact that Berbatov, Ruiz and Taarabt have made just 13 defensive actions and won just 35 duels between them in their combined 13 appearances.

Furthermore, when they have the ball, they will need to be more creative in the coming months as they have also created only seven chances between them. Their combined Performance Score of -5 does not make healthy reading as the Cottagers are relying on these three to make things happen in the final third. It just has not happened yet this season and it has to change if Fulham are to avoid a troublesome campaign.

http://squawka.com/news/2013/10/04/three-fulham-players-who-must-step-up-if-jols-men-are-to-avoid-a-relegation-fight/2013100424292?

WhiteJC

Jol: I rejected top job offer to stay at Fulham

Under-fire boss vows to turn things around at Craven Cottage after slow start

Martin Jol has snubbed a job offer from a top European club to stay and fight for his Fulham future.

The Dutchman is under pressure going into this Saturday's crucial clash with Stoke City after a poor start to the season, with just four points from their opening six games.

Some fans called for Jol to be axed after last weekend's home defeat against Cardiff City extended their dismal run without a Premier League win at Craven Cottage to six months.

The 57-year-old was offered an escape route abroad, but remains defiant he can turn things around.

He said: "I'm a strong geezer. I put myself under pressure to get it away from the players.

"I had an offer from a top European club last week but I want to succeed here.

"I like the club and especially the people who work for us and the players. I'm not someone who wants to escape all of the time. This is part of my job.

"I'm strong and eager to do well. I want to battle and come out of this situation.

"But we haven't got a lot of time. This is a business in which you need results."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jol-rejected-top-job-offer-6141446?

WhiteJC

Fulham sharp shooter Darren Bent confident Martin Jol still right man at Craven Cottage

Darren Bent: On-loan Fulham striker backing manager Martin Jol

Martin Jol remains the 'perfect man' to manage Fulham, according to on-loan striker Darren Bent.

The Craven Cottage boss has come under pressure following a poor start to the season which has seen his squad take just four points from six games in the Premier League.

That form, along with the arrival of new Fulham owner Shahid Khan, has led to speculation Jol could lose his job after almost two-and-a-half years with the London club.

But Bent, a summer transfer window loan signing from Aston Villa, believes the entire Fulham squad remain behind their manager.

The striker, who was also signed by Jol at former club Tottenham Hotspur, told Sky Sports at the launch of the Battlefield 4 Beta: "He is a fantastic manager and all the boys at the club love him and think he is brilliant.

"So, in our minds, he is the perfect man for the job. We are all behind him 100 per cent."

Next up for Fulham is Saturday's home game against Stoke City and their former manager Mark Hughes.

Fulham will be looking to pick up their first Premier League win since they beat Sunderland on the opening day of the season.

And Bent, who has scored against Arsenal in the league and Everton in the Capital One Cup since joining Fulham, is hopeful they can back on track and target this season's top half of the table.

"If we stick together and support each other, I think the top 10 will be fine," he said. "For a club like Fulham, that is where we need to be aiming, really."

Bent joined Fulham in order to play regular first-team football after falling out of favour at Villa under Paul Lambert.

The 29-year-old is enjoying the opportunity and is hoping to use his playing time to force his way back into England's plans in a season which could end with the World Cup in Brazil.

"It would be fantastic to go to a major competition," said Bent. "I would be over the moon. But, first and foremost, I need to concentrate on playing well for Fulham."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8957424/?

WhiteJC

Head to Fulham and smell the fear

We only need the ghost of Michael Jackson in his "Thriller" costume to complete what could be a macabre spectacle at Craven Cottage Saturday. A visit from Stoke City over time rarely makes for a compelling encounter and I am intrigued to see how many disgruntled fans vote with their feet and stay away.

Gaps around the famous old ground I fear are inevitable as the Whites' dreadful run of form continues. Six games into the season and Martin Jol in his pre-match press conference is forced to defend his position while insisting the team can beat relegation. All this after winning the opening game away, too.

Of course, there's been no win since. Far more worrying is how the team remains stubbornly lopsided and shorn of ideas -- no better than it was at the latter end of last season. Despite an influx of new players, Fulham defended like a pub side last week against Cardiff.

They remain painfully slow with their build-up play and distinctly powder-puff around the penalty area. Fulham's best player, Scott Parker, is sidelined for this one, and in all honesty Jol continues to gamble with a poor hand.

Admittedly, he's not had the best of luck with injuries. Aaron Hughes (thigh), Parker (calf) and Ashkan Dejagah will sit this one out, while Maarten Stekelenburg is still two weeks off returning, though his shoulder injury is improving and the need for surgery less likely.

But every side have injuries. Stoke manager Mark Hughes won't call on Matthew Etherington and Jonathan Walters is only 50-50. Here we have two managers both in desperate need of points and with fans only too eager to jump on their backs. Fulham has been the twilight zone this week, because following the fallout from the Cardiff debacle, it seemed Jol's sacking was imminent.

By Tuesday, the manager himself was reported as having informed friends he expected the push. We've heard former Anzhi manager Rene Meulensteen and Fulham owner Shad Khan had made contact, and the tenor from the press boys was pretty much that Jol was on his way.

That may still be the case. Yet another home loss would surely make his position untenable. But with no obvious candidate out there to replace the Dutchman, the board can afford to take their time. This early in the season, Fulham are just two decent results from being in the top half. They are not rock bottom, and the side looks to lack leadership and organisation rather than being thin on quality. A two-week break will also give everyone a chance to draw breath -- and for the new owner to jet into London and review the situation personally.

For now, we disregard the guesswork and uncertainty. It is vital the team find some self-belief against a typically dour Stoke outfit, also badly in need of points after three straight defeats. I hear the Stoke natives were restless after last week's home loss to Norwich. I fear also a quiet Cottage this week, and let's pray it's not hostile, too. That would surely be devastating for everyone's morale.

Jol, who urged calm among supporters Friday, says the camp have been concentrating on defending this week. For Stoke's game, they will certainly need to be robust. This could be a masochist's dream day out in light of the sides' current form and I wouldn't be surprised to see a draw.

As to where Fulham go next? The board say they are reluctant to sack Jol and are desperate for him to turn it around. Results, the fans, and most important of all, Khan may view things differently.

Below are the stats that matter. A day for brave hearts at the Cottage on and off the pitch. Let's get behind the team and end this dreadful barren run at home. Isn't putting one over on "Sparky" (the former Fulham manager) incentive enough? COYW!

In Fulham's last 16 league and cup matches against Stoke, only once have more than three goals been scored. Fulham are winless in the last seven league matches at Craven Cottage -- their worst run without a home win in the top flight since 1966. Just one clean sheet in the last 18 home matches in the Premier League -- against Stoke in February.

Stoke's only shot on target last weekend against Norwich came in the 79th minute. The Potters are one of six teams that have scored the joint-fewest goals in the Premier League this season (alongside Norwich, West Ham, Fulham, Crystal Palace and Sunderland).

With all the negativity hovering over the club recently, let's not forget Stoke are rubbish too!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1411?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Martin Jol has got the find the spark
FULHAM boss Martin Jol has a massive match today against Stoke.

I like him as a manager and he's tried to bring in entertaining players there – but it isn't working.

He's got too many luxury players. More often than not Darren Bent will score if you put the ball in front of him. But he won't give you much else.

Dimitar Berbatov plays the game at his own pace, and Bryan Ruiz is great on the ball but won't win it back.

Jol has a real chance though because Stoke were poor last week. I watched them against Norwich and they were atrocious.

It's all very well trying to pass the ball but you need results – and if Fulham win suddenly it's Mark Hughes under pressure.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/342963/Martin-Jol-has-got-the-find-the-spark

WhiteJC

Three Key Battles: Fulham vs Stoke City

As we enter the final set of matches before the second international break of the season, we see a clash between two sides expected to finish in the bottom half of the table.

Stoke City and Fulham have both lost their last two league fixtures, with the latter currently lying in the relegation zone on four points with only Crystal Palace and Sunderland beneath them.

But it is Martin Jol's side who play host to the Potters on Saturday as both teams hope to bring their horrendous runs of form to an end.

Jol's opposite number Mark Hughes was in charge of Fulham for just one season (2010-11), when he led them to eighth in the league and qualified for the following season's Europa League through UEFA's fair play league.

However, he resigned at the end of the campaign, saying that he was more ambitious than the club.

In terms of past meetings, the last five have gone alternating ways, with Fulham winning the last fixture between the clubs in February 1-0, meaning that for the run to continue it is Stoke's turn to grab a victory.

But stats rarely mean anything with the players on the pitch usually doing the talking. So click on the link below to find out the three battles that could decide the outcome of this game.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/three-key-battles-fulham-vs-stoke-city/68537/?

WhiteJC

Mark Hughes baffled by Fulham's home form

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes has said that he is puzzled by Fulham's home form as he prepares himself for a return to Craven Cottage this afternoon.

The Whites are yet to win in front of their home fans in three games this season, which have brought in just one point for Martin Jol's men.

"I don't really know why they haven't been able to knock results out at home," the Welshman, who walked away from the Whites after 11 months in charge in June 2011, told reporters.

"Craven Cottage is one of the great football grounds of the Premier League, it's got its own unique atmosphere and that has helped Fulham in the past.

"At the beginning of any season there are a lot of disruptions and the league hasn't really settled down yet - with international breaks and the transfer window. Fulham are one of many teams that will think things will settle for them and they can continue to progress and move forward."

The West Londoners currently sit 18th in the league, with one win, a draw and four defeats so far.

Some reports have suggested that Jol's fate could be decided by the outcome of this afternoon's match.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/hughes-baffled-by-fulhams-home-form_109168.html