more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (07/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 07, 2013, 06:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bent: Jol the right man for Fulham

Darren Bent is fully behind Martin Jol and is backing him to remain as Fulham manager for years to come.

Having failed to win since the opening day of the Premier League season, dissenting voices were growing among the Craven Cottage faithful.

'Jol out' was heard after recent home matches against West Brom and Cardiff, with speculation rife that his time at Fulham could be coming to an end.

However, Saturday's hard-fought, gritty and somewhat fortunate 1-0 win at home to Stoke has gone some way to alleviating the pressure.

There is clearly still work to do but goalscorer Bent, brought in on a season-long loan from Aston Villa, believes Jol is the best man for the job.

"In this league you are always under pressure," the striker said.

"As soon as a couple of results go against you, you are immediately under pressure because it is a results league.

"It is probably the best league in the world and is probably the most difficult to get points. For us to get three points with the situation that we are in is massive.

"All the players are behind him. He is the right man for the job and I am sure he will be around for many years to come.

"You can only turn that faith with results, we managed to get him three points. Now we have got a two-week gap and then another massive game against Palace."

The three points propelled Fulham out of the relegation zone, allowing them to head into the international break with a positive platform on which to build.

"I would like to think [we can go on a run]," Bent said.

"Personally, it is about getting match sharpness back and fitness back, it is coming.

"I am not too far away. A couple more games and I think I will be there.

"The main thing, as a club, is that we try and get some consistency and rhythm. In this league, the more points you rack up, the better it is."

Fulham face trips to Crystal Palace and Southampton after the international break, before owner Shahid Khan's NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars play at Wembley.

The billionaire is likely to be in the country for both matches and Jol is looking forward to seeing him.

"I have great plans for the club and if I can do that, fine," the Dutchman said.

"And it's fine for them as well because I think when I came here they were quite happy and lucky to get me. I was used to good clubs and I want to make Fulham a good club.

"So I will listen to them. I don't know what their intentions are but if they want to work with me, then I'm fine."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8961528/-?

WhiteJC

Bent backs Jol as Fulham boss plans talks with Khan

Darren Bent is fully behind Martin Jol and backed him to remain as Fulham manager for years to come.

Having failed to win since the opening day of the Premier League season, dissenting voices were growing amongst the Craven Cottage faithful.

'Jol out' was heard after recent home matches against West Brom and Cardiff, with speculation rife that his time at Fulham could be coming to an end.

However, Saturday's hard-fought, gritty and somewhat fortunate 1-0 win at home to Stoke has gone someway to alleviating the pressure.

There is clearly still work to do but goalscorer Bent, brought in on a season-long loan from Aston Villa, believes Jol is the best man for the job.

"As soon as a couple of results go against you, you are immediately under pressure because it is a results league.

"It is probably the best league in the world and is probably the most difficult to get points. For us to get three points with the situation that we are in is massive.

"All the players are behind him. He is the right man for the job and I am sure he will be around for many years to come.

"You can only turn that faith with results, we managed to get him three points. Now we have got a two-week gap and then another massive game against Palace."

The three points propelled Fulham out of the relegation zone, allowing them to head into the international break with a positive platform on which to build.

"Personally, it is about getting match sharpness back and fitness back, it is coming.

"The main thing, as a club, is that we try and get some consistency and rhythm. In this league, the more points you rack up, the better it is."

Fulham face trips to Crystal Palace and Southampton after the international break, before owner Shahid Khan's NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars play at Wembley.

The billionaire is likely to be in the country for both matches and Jol is looking forward to seeing him.

"I have great plans for the club and if I can do that, fine," the Dutchman said.

"And it's fine for them as well because I think when I came here they were quite happy and lucky to get me. I was used to good clubs and I want to make Fulham a good club.

"So I will listen to them. I don't know what their intentions are but if they want to work with me, then I'm fine."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/bent_backs_jol_as_fulham_boss_plans_talks_with_khan_1_2852649

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol backed by Darren Bent after Cottagers secure much needed win against Stoke
1-0 victory was their first at Craven Cottage since April and has quietened 'Jol out' cries from the crowd for the time being

Darren Bent is fully behind Martin Jol and backed him to remain as Fulham manager for years to come.

Having failed to win since the opening day of the Premier League season, dissenting voices were growing amongst the Craven Cottage faithful.

However, Saturday's hard-fought, gritty and somewhat fortunate 1-0 win at home to Stoke has gone someway to alleviating the pressure.

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-manager-martin-jol-backed-by-darren-bent-after-cottagers-secure-much-needed-win-against-stoke-8863501.html

WhiteJC

Jol right man for Fulham – Bent

Darren Bent insists the entire Fulham squad are behind manager Martin Jol amid speculation that his days at Craven Cottage could be coming to an end.

Some supporters have called for Jol to be shown the door after the Cottagers poor start to the season, but Saturday's 1-0 victory over Stoke, their first since the opening day, has gone some way to alleviating the pressure on the Dutchman.

He still has a lot of work to do to convince fans that he is the right man for the job, but Bent is in no doubt that he should be given time to turn things around.

"In this league you are always under pressure. As soon as a couple of results go against you, you are immediately under pressure because it is a results league," Bent said.

The hard-fought win over Stoke helped Fulham climb out of the relegation zone, although they remain level on points with Norwich.

Trips to Crystal Palace and Southampton are up after the international break and Bent is hopeful that they can build on Saturday's result.

"I would like to think [we can go on a run]," Bent said. "Personally, it is about getting match sharpness back and fitness back, it is coming.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/jol-right-man-for-fulham-bent/?

WhiteJC

Meulensteen mulls over Cottage move

Fulham have reportedly offered former Manchester United assistant boss Rene Meulensteen a coaching role at Craven Cottage.

The 49-year-old Dutch coach departed Old Trafford at the end of last season when Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement and his successor David Moyes opted to bring in his own backroom staff. He linked up with Anzhi Makhachkala as assistant boss to Guus Hiddink before taking charge as head coach when his fellow compatriot departed only two games into the new Russian Premier League season. However, after only 16 days in charge, Meulensteen was sacked and replaced by Gadzhi Gadzhiyev to leave him looking for a new position. It is thought Meulensteen has had several big-money offers come in from the in the United Arab Emirates, while he is also being linked with the vacant managerial position at Sunderland. But reports now claim Jol has moved to take him to Craven Cottage to help him turn around the Londoners' fortunes following a shaky start to the new Premier League campaign in which his own position has been called into question. It's being claimed that the Cottagers have met with Meulensteen to discuss a deal and have given him a couple of days to mull over the offer in the hope he will join the club during this two-week international break.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/meulensteen-mulls-over-cottage-move-1646108.html?

WhiteJC

Derek's Delight

Midfielder Derek Boateng was pleased to play a valuable role in Fulham's narrow victory over Stoke City on Saturday afternoon.

The Ghanaian international entered the action on the hour mark as a replacement for Giorgos Karagounis and was a dominant force in the middle third of the pitch, helping nullify the visitors' attacking threat before watching Darren Bent grab the game's only goal.

"He's a really good finisher," Derek said of his match winning teammate. "He's done a great job since he came in and everyone is really happy with him. Hopefully he can continue to score important goals like that.

"It was a very, very important victory for us. Before the game we knew that it was going to be hard but we've been training well so it was very good for us that we were able to get the win and three points in the end – that's the most important thing.

"It was quite a nervy game but we managed to score a fantastic goal that proved enough to win it for us and, like I said, it was a really important one for us.

"We really, really wanted it on Saturday – we knew what position we occupied in the table so we put everything we had into winning the game. We worked so hard and I give thanks to God that we won the game in the end.

"It's very, very good to go into the international break with three points because when we come back we'll still have that confidence which we can take into the game against Crystal Palace."

The victory over the Potters was only Boateng's second competitive appearance in Fulham colours – his first at Craven Cottage – and he admitted his delight at being given a run out in front of the home supporters.

"I'm very happy to have played in front of the Fulham fans," he said. "They are good fans, they are always supporting the team and that is so important. So I'm very, very happy to be a part of it and to help us get the win.

"We have a lot of players and everyone is fighting for their position and everyone is looking forward to playing. I'm very patient and I know that my time will come and when I get the chance I have to take it. I've been working really, really hard for it and I was very happy to come on and help the team to win.

"I'm pleased with my performance but the most important thing was to get the three points – that was good for us and we deserved it for the hard work that we put in. Now we've got seven points and we are looking forward to the next game."

Season Ticket Holders can win money-can't-buy prizes by telling us their story of the match. Visit www.fulhamfc.com/tellusyourstory to find out more and submit your entry.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/07/dereks-delight?

WhiteJC

Analysis: 3 Tackles & 3 Interceptions – Fulham's Unsung Greek Steers Cottagers To Victory Over Stoke

Fulham 1-0 Stoke City
Mark Hughes must have left his former stomping ground wondering how his side left without anything to show for their performance. Stoke were left ruing some questionable penalty decisions and some last ditch defending from Fulham, who then snuck a winner through Darren Bent late on.

Key Stats:
The game was far from classic but Stoke continued their good early form under Hughes and they looked the more likely to score. They had over twice as many as shots as their opponents and they had more of the ball. However despite all of this superiority, they couldn't find a way through a Fulham defence who were fighting for everything, perhaps aware that their manager's job is hanging by a thread.

Fulham's cause was helped by two goal line clearances by Sascha Riether but had it not been for an injury to Dimitar Berbatov then goalscorer Bent may not have even been on the pitch. Glenn Whelan was lucky to stay on the pitch following that particular tackle but despite that Hughes will know on another day his side could have left with three points.

Man of the Match:
Giorgos Karagounis is a somewhat surprising choice considering Riether's hard work or Steven N'Zonzi's general leadership in the middle of the park but the Greek has proved himself an able deputy to the injured Scott Parker.

The midfielder made three successful tackles and finished with a passing accuracy of 83%. He also made three interceptions as he tried to break up Stoke's play and generally make a nuisance of himself. His hard work allowed the likes of Steve Sidwell and Bryan Ruiz push further forward.

Performance Score:
The graph shows a fairly even contest until we get into the second half where Fulham began to exert themselves more before grabbing the goal at the 83 minute mark. It is worth pointing out that performance score doesn't necessarily represent domination and Fulham's higher score can be explained by their having to defend more. Stoke were not brilliant in attack but they did cause Fulham problems which the Cottagers, to be fair to them, effectively repelled.

Key Observations:
What will frustrate Hughes most of all will be when he looks at the goal attempts graphic which shows his team being the busier inside the opposition's penalty area. Fulham only had three attempts inside the box (including the goal) whilst Stoke had seven in total. Hughes will also point to Fulham having to make over twice as many (38 to 18) clearances as his side, as another reason for their offensive superiority.

This game encapsulated the adage, you don't get what you deserve in football.  Before and during the game all signs pointed to a Stoke victory but they couldn't dispatch their chances and Fulham snatched a goal and the points with a late sucker punch.

http://squawka.com/news/2013/10/07/fulham-stoke-post-match/2013100724565?

WhiteJC

Leicester 0-1 Fulham U18s

Our U18s mirrored the First Team this week, winning by a solitary goal. Watch Moussa Dembele's decisive strike here.

Leicester 0-1 Fulham, Barclays U18 Premier League

Fulham's Under-18s earned a 1-0 win at Leicester City on Saturday afternoon.

After a scrappy start, Fulham began to gain control. Moussa Dembele had a chance after a good drive by Solomon Sambou but saw his shot saved by the Foxes goalkeeper.

Liam Donnelly then got free down the right and his cross was flicked towards goal by George Williams at the near post only for the Leicester keeper to again make a good save.

At the other end, a rasping 25-yarder on the half-hour mark forced a magnificent save from Marek Rodak, who then stood strong to deny a Leicester strike who had gone clean through. From the rebound, the Foxes hit the post.

Dembele saw a header blocked, before Emerson Hyndman went into the book for a cynical block on the half-way line.

The first moment of action in the second half came in the 62nd minute when a magical pass by Hyndman was met by Dembele but the Frenchman saw his volley well saved.

But the Whites didn't have to wait long to make the breakthrough as a pass inside from Jordan Evans to Williams was pulled back to Dembele who fired home.

The Whites were now well on top and Patrick Roberts and Williams both went close, before Rodak saved from a Leicester free-kick.

Williams thought he'd added a second late on when he tapped home after Hyndman had hit the bar but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Fulham: Rodak, Donnelly, Burgess, Sambou, Evans, Hyndman, Smile (Baba 66), O'Halloran, Williams, Roberts, Dembele.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/07/leicester-u18s-highlights?

WhiteJC

Switzerland calls up Fulham midfielder Kasami

BERN, SWITZERLAND — Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami has been called into Switzerland's squad for two World Cup qualifying matches.

Kasami opted for the Swiss senior national team despite also being eligible to represent Albania, which it faces on Friday in Tirana.

The Swiss Football Association said coach Ottmar Hitzfeld has selected the 21-year-old Kasami as a precaution because right back Stephan Lichtsteiner has a thigh injury.

Switzerland, which needs two points to secure its World Cup place in Brazil, also hosts Slovenia next Tuesday.

Kasami played in Switzerland's winning team at the Under-17 World Cup in 2009, and at the 2012 Olympics.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2013/10/07/3826598/switzerland-calls-up-fulham-midfielder.html?#storylink=cpy

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham are tracking Sweden defender Alexander Milosevic

Alexander Milosevic: Attracting interest from Fulham

Sky Sports understands Fulham are tracking highly-rated AIK defender Alexander Milosevic.

Milosevic is regarded as one of the best young defenders in Europe after impressing for club and country over the last 18 months.

The likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Celtic and Fiorentina have all been credited with an interest in Milosevic in the past and now Fulham are keeping tabs on the centre-back.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is thought to be keen to bring in a central defender and the Craven Cottage outfit are expected to have Milosevic watched in midweek when Sweden's Under-21s take on Poland as they continue to monitor his progress.

AC Milan and Eintracht Frankfurt are also thought be keen on Milosevic and have watched him on several occasions this season.

The 21-year-old is entering the final year of his contract at AIK and the Swedish club are bracing themselves for offers for Milosevic.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8962171/?

WhiteJC

Derek Boateng delighted to have earned Fulham game time

Midfielder Derek Boateng was pleased to play a valuable role in Fulham's narrow victory over Stoke City on Saturday afternoon.

The Ghanaian international entered the action on the hour mark as a replacement for Giorgos Karagounis and was a dominant force in the middle third of the pitch, helping nullify the visitors' attacking threat before watching Darren Bent grab the game's only goal.

"He's a really good finisher," Derek said of his match winning teammate. "He's done a great job since he came in and everyone is really happy with him. Hopefully he can continue to score important goals like that.

"It was a very, very important victory for us. Before the game we knew that it was going to be hard but we've been training well so it was very good for us that we were able to get the win and three points in the end – that's the most important thing.

"It was quite a nervy game but we managed to score a fantastic goal that proved enough to win it for us and, like I said, it was a really important one for us.

"We really, really wanted it on Saturday – we knew what position we occupied in the table so we put everything we had into winning the game. We worked so hard and I give thanks to God that we won the game in the end.

"It's very, very good to go into the international break with three points because when we come back we'll still have that confidence which we can take into the game against Crystal Palace."

The victory over the Potters was only Boateng's second competitive appearance in Fulham colours – his first at Craven Cottage – and he admitted his delight at being given a run out in front of the home supporters.

"I'm very happy to have played in front of the Fulham fans," he said. "They are good fans, they are always supporting the team and that is so important. So I'm very, very happy to be a part of it and to help us get the win.

"We have a lot of players and everyone is fighting for their position and everyone is looking forward to playing. I'm very patient and I know that my time will come and when I get the chance I have to take it. I've been working really, really hard for it and I was very happy to come on and help the team to win.

"I'm pleased with my performance but the most important thing was to get the three points – that was good for us and we deserved it for the hard work that we put in. Now we've got seven points and we are looking forward to the next game."

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/derek-boateng-delighted-earned-fulham-game-time/?

WhiteJC

The Weekly Question: Was Fulham FC right to remove its Jacko statue?

Michael Jackson has lost his prized place at Fulham FC's ground after the club's new owner ordered the King of Pop's statue removed

A statue of the late king of pop Michael Jackson has been removed from outside Fulham FC's stadium.

A team of stonemasons recently descended on the Craven Cottage group to remove 7ft 6in statue, some two and a half years after it was installed by the club's previous owner Mohammed al Fayed as a tribute to the Thriller singer.

American Shahid Khan, who bought the club in the summer, said removing the statue was 'the right thing to do', but do you agree?

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/local-news/weekly-question-fulham-fc-right-6152009?

WhiteJC

Fulham may have appealed more to Poyet

Gus Poyet is set to be confirmed as the new Sunderland manager but Danny Mills believes he may have been waiting for a vacancy at Fulham.

The Black Cats are expected to appoint Poyet in the next 24 hours, with the club sitting at the bottom of the Premier League table and the dressing room in need of a lift following Paolo Di Canio's brief, ill-fated spell in charge.

Kevin Ball has been in caretaker charge for the last two league games, after which Liverpool and Manchester United both left Wearside with three points.

Sunderland have claimed to be taking their time over appointing Di Canio's replacement and considering all their options, but Mills believes that Poyet - who was the early favourite - may have been holding out for the Fulham position to become available before he was prepared to commit to the Black Cats.

Mills told Sky Sports News Radio: "There are managers who would prefer to stay in London. That is where Poyet was when he played at Chelsea and it is a little bit more cosmopolitan and easier to attract players to a club like Fulham than it is to the North East.

"That is not being derogatory to Sunderland at all. I think everyone understands that, foreign players especially, prefer to be in London. Plus, they (Sunderland) have had a couple of hard games so maybe he thought: 'Let's just wait and see.'

"Now there is less likelihood of the Fulham job becoming available, Poyet is probably thinking: 'It's either take this, or wait around for another six months, perhaps a year, for another decent job to come up.'"

Mills is not sure if Poyet is "a good fit" and says the former Brighton boss comes with "a bit of baggage".

Listen to the full interview with Sky Sports News Radio to see what Mills believes Poyet has to do at Sunderland to keep them in the Premier League.

Former Sunderland winger John Oster is "quite excited" by the impending appointment Poyet and believes the Uruguayan will get Sunderland playing attractive football if he is given time to stamp his identity on the side.

http://www.teamtalk.com/sunderland/8962583/Fulham-may-have-appealed-more-to-Poyet?

WhiteJC

Fulham Striker Blocking Boyce's Bonus

Former Walsall FC youth Richard Peniket chose Fulham FC ahead of Manchester United at 16 earning an initial two year deal and 6 Wales U19 caps. At 18 he got an additional two year deal to celebrate being named in the first team squad as well as an U21′s call up and debut . However he was not Martin Jol's cup of tea and despite loan experience in the Football League he decided to join the Lambs in the summer after being released along with 11 others.  He has bagged 3 so far and contributed to six more, suggesting he has something and at only 20 he looks set to shine.

Thank you for reading Neil Gentleman-Hobbs

http://savethemightyimps.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/fulham-striker-blocking-boyces-bonus/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-0 Stoke: 5 Things We Learnt

Saturday's game at the picturesque Craven Cottage was a game full of incidence but lacking in quality in the final third until Darren Bent's late strike. The win relieved some of the pressure of Martin Jol's future at the club, until after the international break at least, while Mark Hughes can point to plenty of positives and a few things that need improving as he embarks on a new dawn at Stoke.

While neither team will make the back page headlines often, this game was a good example of both clubs' travails and there was plenty for all in West London to learn.

A quick aside, the hospitality offered by the staff at Cottage was mightily impressive and despite being one of London's smaller teams, there was a friendliness that showed some of the soul remains in the top flight.

5. Jol Needs A Game Plan For His Flair Players To Thrive
The flamboyant Dimitar Berbatov played as a lone striker for Fulham. The Bulgarian might be a little slower, a little more lethargic (if that were possible) but the ex-Manchester United and Tottenham forward still maintains a fantastic technique. His first touch is sublime, he has deceptive body strength, and was the only player in a white shirt who managed to combine creativity with an end product.

Bryan Ruiz looked short of fitness, while Patjim Kasami looks full of potential but is too inconsistent to be relied upon. Damien Duff uses all of his experience but his better days are far behind him.

These attacking players are anchored by Steve Sidwell and Giorgis Karagounis, and often the front four were disengaged from those further behind. Perhaps Jol could invert his wingers, but often the man in possession was either unable to see the options available to him or simply had none. Ruiz really did not impose himself on the game, and the best option might have been to go more direct to Berbatov. Jol said after the match that he planned to bring on Bent to play with Berbatov, and Ruiz would surely have been the one to come off.

The Fulham players are not good enough to be given a completely free reign, and until Jol gives the team a basic attacking game plan from which the likes of Berbatov, Ruiz and Kasami can deviate and produce something special, they will continue to struggle.

4. Both Teams Were Lacking A Front Man
Fulham had one stroppy striker upfront on his own, and in Marko Arnautovic Stoke had their own enigmatic forward. By and large, the summer signing from Werder Bremen epitomised Stoke's struggles, where apart from corners the visitors did not trouble David Stockdale in the Fulham goal. The Austrian had plenty of shots from distance and showed some good link up play, but did not look like getting a goal.

Both teams lacked a penalty box presence, and while Stoke played the better football and did at least have the willing Jon Walters running in behind, there was a distinct lack of quality in the penalty box.

That was until a true striker was brought on to the pitch. While Berbatov and Arnautovic would no doubt have finished as well as Darren Bent after the ball deflected into his path, it is doubtful that the duo would have been in such a position to take advantage of lady luck.

Bent can be anonymous, but the idea of playing him and Berbatov together makes sense, and if given the service he will get goals. How thankful Jol must have been for the Englishman's late impact one can only wonder.

3. Best Laid Plans Don't Matter When The Ref Has A 'Mare
Stoke played well, and on another day Robert Huth could have had a hattrick of headers, Stoke could have had two penalties and Kasami might have been sent off before the first half had got going. As I said, The Potters were the more pleasing team to watch and Mark Hughes was right when he said that only one team looked like they would win the game. However, as well as his team played, it was all for nothing as their day was ruined by the ref Robert East.

Mr East missed Phillipe Senderos' early challenge on Stephen Ireland. The big Swiss defender did not get the ball, although he may not have made contact with the Stoke midfielder. However, a goal kick was not a satisfactory outcome.

The incident between Kasami and Stoke left back Erik Pieters was unsavoury in so much as it managed to leave everyone looking foolish. Kasami was silly for throwing out a petulant slap come flick, Pieters' fall down to the ground despite minimal contact was embarrassing, and Mr East's reluctance to do anything at all set a precedent for the rest of the game.

The second penalty incident left Hughes even more incredulous, and he found many like-minded people in the press room. Jon Walters ran on to a long ball over the top and beat Fernando Amorebieta to the ball. The Venezuelan, playing at left back, clipped Walters heel outside the box, but the ref allowed play to continue, and as Walters ran on Amorebieta fell down, again clipping Walters heel. The ref, this time 'helped', if that's the word, by his linesman, gave a free kick outside the box.

As Hughes stated after the game, the ref had played advantage only to then bring back the play for the initial foul. It was not a case of contact starting outside the box and carrying inside, they were two clear fouls, and the ref chickened out by going for the more conservative decision.

It was not all against Stoke, though, and Ruiz looked to be tripped by Marc Wilson in first half stoppage time. The ref again shirked a big decision, but at least this proved it was not a bias towards the home team, just general incompetence from the man in yellow.

2. Stoke Are Playing Better
A team with Ryan Shawcross and Robert Huth at the heart of its defence will never completely change its style, and the German was a threat from corners all day long. Only his fellow German, Fulham right back Sacha Reither, prevented Huth a certain goal by twice clearing headers off the line. However, the Stoke team has embraced their new manager Mark Hughes and the differing style he wants his side to play.

Stoke looked far happier in possession and worked some neat moves, but lacked presence and quality in the final third.

"We were in control and didn't get what we deserved. We created opportunities through corners and set pieces but our end product needs addressing. To be fair, that has been the case for several seasons here," Hughes said after the game.

The Welshman did manage to offload Cameron Jerome to Crystal Palace, but his strike force still contains Kenwyne Jones and Peter Crouch, who are both a nod back to Hughes' predecessor Tony Pulis.

Until Hughes can inject some real pace and a proven goal scorer to the ranks his side will contain to struggle to enter the top ten, but the signs are very positive so far that despite the change in approach, the team will not fall down the table.

1. Karagounis Has The Class But Not The Legs
Many thought Giorgis Karagounis would be somewhere else this season, but Fulham resigned the 36-year-old and after Scott Parker's injury the Greek international has returned to the starting line-up.

The barrel-chested defensive midfielder uses all of his experience and know-how from his time at Panathinaikos, Internazionale, and Benfica to retain possession, attempt to link the defence with the attack, and make sure the Fulham back four are never exposed. He has a great knack to win a free kick when he's in trouble, and he is a firm fans favourite because he gives 100%.

The problem is that while the mind is willing, the body is not up to the rigour of the Premier League. From very early on Karagounis appears to struggle, he can be easily outpaced, and if he pushes forward and the move breaks down then he can be left behind.

He lasted about an hour and Derek Boateng's introduction added a bit more energy to Fulham's performance. Karagounis is a wily fox, and the ideal man to bring on with ten minutes to go and points to secure, when his lack of pace will not be quite so exposed. It's just a shame for Fulham that he appears to bring a bit of much needed quality to their central midfield.

Read more at http://whatculture.com/sport/fulham-1-0-stoke-5-things-we-learnt.php#sQtLA5Jq1Brqk0Qd.99

WhiteJC

"Pottering about" – Post Stoke
by barryhaylesgoalmachine

So despite feeling like Death this Monday after, I am inclined to think that my current state could have been much worse had it not been for the introduction of Darren Bent late on Saturday. I am yet to defect across to the Jol out brigade but I will say that had we lost to Stoke then i would more than likely have come around to that way of thinking.

I have justified it so many times in my head but the main factors around supporting Jol remaining the same in terms of there being very few credible candidates who would inspire more confidence in running the team as well as that any incoming man would still have to work with the same group until at least January. I have however come to terms with the fact that we really aren't very good, lack any real sense of style or shape and on present showing probably should be omitted from the group labelled as "To good to go down".

While Mr Ambition's post match press conference regarding how "Fulham will be embarrassed that they won that game" are perhaps a little wide of the mark given that 3 points is 3 points, any team that conceded 56% possession at home to a team like his certainly should not be proud of their performance. They also registered 16 shots to our 9 which from memory the first real attempt of our own was not until after at least 20 minutes. Whether or not Jol would have actually used Darren Bent were it not for the injury to Berbatov is up for debate although if Saturday taught us anything then it should perhaps be that the Bulgarian is no longer an automatic first choice week in week out.

One of the few positives to take out of the game I thought was the work rate and closing down by a handful of players. The efforts of Cardiff the week before reminded us all of why we were so successful under Hodgson with defensive work starting from the front and running all the way through the team. as one unit. It's understandable that this could suffer with the introduction of players that perhaps pride themselves more on flair than work rate but the likes of Kasami, Duff, Sidwell and Boateng late on all all showed a genuine sense of passion and more than anything helped re energise the crowd.

The atmosphere in the last 25 minutes was completely alien to the general pessimism and sense of feeling sorry for ourselves that festered throughout the first half. That is not to say that we were any more entertained but it certainly makes a difference when you can see that the players are actually trying. An 80 yard burst of pace from Riether did much to lift the Hammersmith end even if he was perhaps dead on his feet by the time the chance to shoot came around. Kasami's throughout was admirable leaving many questioning why it has taken him so long to get more of a chance around the first team. As much as he didn't necessarily stand out, the return of Damien Duff really benefited the side particularly in terms of holding the ball up in the final third and providing a much needed experienced voice in the absence of Hangeland and Parker.

At the back we still look incapable of defending set pieces and were it not for Riether being well placed on the line a few times then the outcome could have been much much worse. Amorebieta and Senderos didn't do any worse than when Hangeland was on the pitch although that is perhaps more a reflection on the Norwegians recent form than anything else.

The final whistle did not signal a turning point or that fundamental changes had been made to ensure a win but rather that we had just rode our luck a little more than in recent weeks. The win will suffice in buying Jol more time in the job but the performance will do nothing to relieve any pressure from the fans. The performances of a few did little to compensate for what on the whole is a shadow of the Fulham we know. I will try and hold out a long as possible on the #JolOut front although every week is going to feel like sudden death for a while. The injury to Berbatov on Saturday was without doubt a blessing in terms of securing 3 points but if Jol is to ever shape this team as a functioning unit capable of "Being To Good To Go Down" then he should perhaps prolong that blessing to a while longer.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=452

WhiteJC

Fulham In Need of Meulensteen

Fulham head into the international break with a win, which gives Martin Jol a much needed boost.

If Fulham lost, it was hard to see how Jol could have stayed on. While the result against Stoke helped Jol, the performance didn't mask the problems at the club.

Dimitar Berbatov was once again ineffective. The Bulgarian was fantastic last year, but he hasn't set the ground running this season. Fulham play the ball up to him like Bobby Zamora is still up front. It's little wonder the Bulgarian seems frustrated.
Fulham are inept at defending corners. Every time Stoke got a corner, they won the header, and it only took two fantastic goal line clearances from Sascha Riether to keep the Cottagers in the game.

Riether is currently one of Fulham's shining lights. To think that Fulham reportedly toyed with selling him in the summer is incomprehensible. His run from his own box lifted the crowd and showed them that there are players at Craven Cottage who care and have the fight to get Fulham out of this torrid start to the season.

It was Darren Bent who scored, again off the bench.

While Bent is already picking up a habit of scoring crucial goals, worryingly it's only when he comes on as a substitute. When he starts a game, he seems ineffective – Chelsea at home, Cardiff away for example. While his 3 goals so far this season is no way a bad return, Fulham need a striker who can score when he starts a game. If Bent is not this striker, and Berbatov cannot find his form, it will fall to Hugo Rodallega, and based on his form for Fulham so far, it doesn't look too promising.

Fulham seem short on confidence. A breath of fresh air is needed in the club. It seems that Jol wants to stay at Fulham, he claims he recently turned down an offer from an unnamed European club, presumably Hamburg, to take charge and leave Fulham.

Rumours persist that Jol wants to bring in ex-Man United coach Rene Meulensteen, praised by Robin van Persie as one of the best around. While Jol has said that Meulensteen turned Fulham down twice, once for Anzhi and once more to go to Dubai, he seems like the perfect solution for Fulham at the moment – a fresh face, fresh ideas but no major change. And a ready made replacement should Jol leave.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/07-10-2013/fulham-in-need-of-meulensteen/850580?#ixzz2h67VBh5o

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Meulensteen set to turn down Fulham coaching role... for seven-figure contract in Qatar

Rene Meulensteen is set to disappoint Fulham by inking a lucrative contract with the Qatar Football Association.

Sportsmail revealed yesterday how the Dutchman was mulling over an offer from the Craven Cottage club to join Martin Jol's coaching team.

The former Manchester United coach had asked Fulham chiefs for the weekend to weigh up the offer and has since informed the club of his intention to move to the Middle East.

It is understood the offer from the Qatari FA was considerably more lucrative than Fulham's offer
Meulensteen will become the nation's technical director on a seven figure contract

The news will come as a blow to manager Jol, who was keen to add his countryman to the coaching team.

Meulensteen impressed Fulham chiefs during talks towards the end of last month and a formal offer was made to the 49-year-old last week

The former Anzhi Makhachkala manager was keen on a return to the Premier League in some capacity.

He was considered by Sunderland owner Ellis Short to replace sacked Paolo Di Canio, but the Black Cats have opted for Gus Poyet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2449252/EXCLUSIVE-Rene-Meulensteen-turns-Fulham-coaching-role-big-money-Qatar.html#ixzz2h67xIYNW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham Target Highly Rated Swedish Defender Alexander Milosevic

Cottagers set sights on new defensive reenforcement.

Fulham are said to be monitoring highly rated Swedish defender Alexander Milosovic of AIK Stockholm, according to sources at Sky Sports.

Milosevic has seen his stock rise over the pat 18 months and has become regarded as one of the most promising young players in Europe thanks to a string of fine performances for both club and country.

The likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Celtic and Fiorentina have all been credited with taking an interest in the 21-year-old in the past and now Fulham are though to be keeping tabs on the centre-back.

Fulham manager Martin Jol is thought to be keen on bringing in a new central defender and he is believed to be keen on having the player scouted during his midweek encounter with Poland for the Sweden under-21 side to monitor his progress and asses whether he is ready for a move to the Premier League.

AC Milan and Eintracht Frankfurt are also thought be keen on Milosevic and have already had him watched on several occasions this season.

Milosevic has recently entered the final year of his contract with the Stockholm club and they are preparing themselves to handle a series of offers for his services.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/10/07/fulham-target-highly-rated-swedish-defender-alexander-milosevic/?