https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (13/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 13, 2013, 08:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy – Retiring Fulham Legend
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on OCTOBER 12, 2013

This week saw the announcement from former Fulham captain Danny Murphy that he was retiring from Professional Football.

In an age where a club like Fulham is often a stepping stone for players on the way up, or the way down, it is rare for players to ever achieve legendary status amongst the fans. Danny Murphy is one such player.

With the modern player stays are often short, exits can be acrimonious and performances often wavering. Not with our Danny. When Martin Jol decided to call time on Murphy's Fulham career after five years, Danny showed immeasurable class in not speaking out, despite obvious and justified disappointment.

The last leg of his career saw him drop down a division with the promise of a two year contract from fallen former Premierleague champions Blackburn Rovers. It seems an ill-fitting end that such a top performer and footballing gentleman's last professional appearances were under-appreciated and largely unseen in a division where brute force dominates ahead of wisdom and guile.

As ever, though, Danny, the model professional, simply got on with life in the Championship. Symbolic of a career where under-appreciation was a recurring theme; despite 170 league appearances for Liverpool, Danny was often overshadowed in the eyes of some by the meteoric rise of some of those around him, in particular Steven Gerrard. While Gerrard, now England captain, made an early career living out of 35 yard wonder strikes and 60 yard passes, it was Murphy that made Liverpool tick. Like Fulham fans, Liverpool fans would never forget Danny.

A Liverpool supporting friend of mine would always come to Fulham once or twice a season with me when Danny was at Craven Cottage, only to spend 90 minutes watching and cheering Murphy's every move. As a Liverpool fan, Danny was one of them.

He is also one of us. His leadership, desire and ability made him a favourite amongst the Fulham Faithful. That goal at Portsmouth, one of the single most important in Fulham's history, can never be forgotten.

That goal alone would have led Danny to go down in Fulham folklore. It was what followed that made him a legend.

The run to the Europa League Final saw Danny lead Fulham on our greatest ever adventure. There was a goal at home to Basel that I remember, but furthermore it was his leadership. A talisman, Danny symbolised all that was good about Roy Hodgson's Fulham. Honest, hardworking and with a touch of flair.

Danny also had that special something that the rest of football would kill for – the uncanny ability to beat Manchester United. There were the free kicks at Old Trafford in his Liverpool days and then there were the victories for Fulham. For two glorious years the biggest team in English football were surreptitiously beaten and forced to leave Craven Cottage with their tails between their legs. Oh those were the days.

Since his departure there has been a void at Fulham. Whether it's the on field leadership, the role of the off-field figurehead, the Murphy turn that always won him time on the ball or the ability to play a pass when you needed it most, he's never quite been replaced. To suggest he could be would be remiss. Players like Danny don't come along very often. Thankfully, we could call this one our own.

Thanks for everything Danny and best of luck for the future. You're welcome back any time.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/10/danny-murphy-retiring-fulham-legend/?

WhiteJC

I Want To Be At The World Cup -Former Fulham Defender Pantsil

Former Fulham and West Ham United fullback John Pantsil has moved to South Africa.

Pantsil has linked up with South African outfit FC Santos. The Ghana international has been on the lookout for a new club since leaving Israeli outfit Hapoel Tel Aviv.

"I am definitely happy to sign a contract here, the club is based in Cape Town so that is a fantastic thing. I really want to be at the top level before the World Cup and put in some performances for the Ghana manager so I can go to the World Cup."

http://www.afrikansoccer.com/2013/10/i-want-to-be-at-the-world-cup-former-fulham-defender-pantsil/?

WhiteJC

Progress Report: Fulham's Darren Bent

Over the course of just two years, Darren Bent went from an England regular to a man lucky to make Aston Villa's bench. Bent was replaced in Villa's starting 11 by Christian Benteke, and it soon became apparent that the young Belgian was a talented and worthy replacement.

Benteke, 7 years Bent's junior, was improving every match, and Bent's chances of reclaiming a starting spot were decreasing rapidly. With no plans to warm the bench nor retire – at the age of only 29 – Bent would have been desperate to find an escape route out of Villa Park.

Martin Jol and Fulham offered him one. Many fans say the London club took a chance in signing him, but nothing we have seen so far would suggest Bent is out of touch. He remains as sharp as ever, his record speaks for itself (he's one of only six players to score 50 or more goals in the last four Premier League seasons) and he's only a year or two past a footballer's supposed 'prime' age; he's practically a schoolboy by Fulham's standards.

In seven appearances for the Cottagers, Bent has already bagged three goals, making him the club's top scorer. His most recent goal came in a vital home win against fellow early-season strugglers Stoke. He found himself in the right position to take a loose ball in the box, as he has done so often throughout his career, and slotted home after a neat dummy left Asmir Begovic helpless. He's proven himself to be an asset in any squad, after coming off the bench to score all three of his goals, so is the time right for Jol to start him?

Although a clinical finisher, Bent is considered among some to be a weak link-up player. He has few assists for all his goals, and needs regular service to shine. Fulham still lack a creative midfielder and if put on the back foot against a stronger side, Bent's contribution will be virtually zero. He may get one chance, and often that's all he needs, so Jol will have to think carefully as to whether that's a risk worth taking.

The other factor for Jol to consider is Dimitar Berbatov. The Bulgarian, at his best, will not only score you 20 goals a season but create almost as many. He has the kind of vision and skill that Bent can never match. But Berbatov has recently been out of sorts for Fulham, not scoring a league goal this season, and, if it were possible, doing just as much sulking as he did during his last couple of seasons with Tottenham.

With youngster Pajtim Kasami playing so well in the gap between the midfielders and striker, it looks as though Jol is determined to play just the one front man. I might consider playing a midfield four, with Kasami partnering Parker in the middle, and play both Bent and Berbatov up front, but what do I know?

I would have thought the two would be a perfect fit: Bent will hang on the last defender and make clever runs that only the best defenders can cope with, Berbatov likes to drop back and create his own space in which to show off his ability. Perhaps Jol is waiting for Berbatov to regain some form, or for either one of them to return to full fitness, or perhaps he's just clueless, but which one should he play in the meantime?

Mid-way through the second half of the Stoke game, Bent replaced an injured Berbatov. Bent didn't just score the winner, Fulham changed going forward after he came on. It was almost as though the front six were set free from their obligation of giving Berbatov the ball whenever he so wants it. The passing was more fluent, there was more pace on the break, Bent drew away defenders, and Fulham looked more like scoring in those twenty or so minutes than they had the rest of the season combined.

Berbatov has every right to command the ball when he's on form, but in form such as this, he's slowing the team down. He'll throw his arms up in the air out of frustration with a team mate who hasn't played the right pass, and then refuse to move again until someone gives him the ball. And even then, the end product is nothing compared to what we know he can do.

I can understand Jol's insistence on playing him over Bent, and I've no doubt he will come good, but Bent arguably warrants that starting place more than Berbatov does right now. Whichever way you look at it though, Fulham have two top class strikers at their disposal.

Bent has already proven himself to be a reliable goalscorer and new owner Shahid Khan will be delighted with his capture from Villa. No doubt the whites will be looking to extend that loan deal, or maybe turn it into a permanent one when his current deal expires. Any team with Darren Bent in it is a fortunate one, and he may just be that man Fulham need to ensure their Premier League status for another season.

http://threeandin.com/?p=28597

WhiteJC

Trotta-ing Out The Same Excuses

Back at the tail end of last season after an uninspiring first half at MK Dons I'm afraid to say I fell out with a mate and his pal.

Both had spent the first 45 berating Marcello Trotta for his lack of workrate in a game that we ultimately lost but should have comfortably won.

Charlie and I fell out because I don't feel you should slate Brentford players while they're on the pitch. It was heated, but only because we both cared.

We sorted it out later and I know he'd still share a beer with me... that's the beauty of a cub like Brentford. There really should be too few of us to have lasting rows.

But – and here's a confession – I think the Italian is or should now be on borrowed time at Brentford.

There's no doubting he can make things happen out of nothing in the box and has a sweet left foot. They were the two main planks of my argument that day.

His languid style can look like he's not giving his all, and I'd hope that's not the case, but no goals in eight games is hardly repaying Uwe Rosler's faith in him.

The Bees boss raised many an eyebrow when he took him back after his involvement in one of those events that will, I'm sure, flash across my mind as I breathe my final breath.

Rosler put his neck on the line in a move I thought at the time was a retrograde step, not in footballing terms if Trotta wanted to right the wrong, but psychologically.

More disturbing is the Italian's aura, which can be perceived as arrogance, which too frequently mars his game. To be a great striker you need to know when to be greedy in the final third, and Trotta hasn't learned that yet.

True, the service he's been getting of late has been poor – in fact all our strikers rarely get a ball to run onto behind the seven-man defences we're encountering and usually receive with backs to goal – but I would question whether he is the right kind of fox in the box we need at the current time.

In a team doing well on the front foot, I'd have signed him like Uwe did, in a heartbeat. But in a team struggling for confidence and looking for graft and real guile to help turn the corner, he is not the man you need.

Uwe has been dealt a series of blows in terms of injuries and I still think he will turn it round given time, but some players – and I include Trotta in that – need to take their share of the blame because now isn't the time for mid , lackadaisical football.

Also I'd love to know If injury is to blame for Richard Lee's ongoing absence. If it isn't then it's all a little confusing as to how he managed to put in three decent displays prior to David Button's return, only to lose his place.

Defences are only as good as the keeper behind them and vice versa – and I'm sure David Button will be a good signing for us long term – but right now we need to build solidity and keep clean sheets, with experience in goal.

On the other hand, if his shoulder isn't right then maybe the fans should be told. It seems odd that we have a top quality keeper warming the bench and three others beneath him... I certainly can't recall that in all the years of watching Brentford and we've had some cracking stopped in that time.

Jim Levack

http://beesotted.co.uk/?p=9846

WhiteJC

Dan Burn: Our job is out there on the pitch

Birmingham City defender Dan Burn says Blues team will ignore rumours of Gianni Paladini takeover and concentrate on winning points

Birmingham City players will not be distracted by renewed speculation about a takover insists defender Dan Burn.

Solihull businessman Gianni Paladini is once again trying to get his hands on the cash-strapped club, which Carson Yeung is looking to sell.

But the off-field discussions do not affect the players, according to their top performer this season.

"We don't hear a lot about it, to be honest," said Burn. "This week is the first time I've read about it after hearing something on Twitter, but we don't pay too much attention.

"There's a good management here, and it's a good team that has been built. We are all about results, we don't talk much about the other side of things. Our job is out there on the pitch."

Burn reckons boss Lee Clark is doing a good

job at St Andrew's – especially with the incredibly tough hand he has been dealt.

The 21-year-old, who is on loan from Fulham, also believes that Blues will start to get the results that he feels their performances deserve.

"We need to get a bit of consistency," he added. "It seems as though we win and game and then lose a game.

"I think performance-wise we've been good.

"The gaffer has been saying that the performances have been a lot higher than they were at the start of last season.

"Now it's all about getting points on the board and I'm sure we will start picking up results."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-defender-dan-burn-6178855?

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen rejects Fulham for Qatar

FORMER Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen has rejected fellow Dutchman Martin Jol's overtures to join him at Fulham in favour of a lucrative move to 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar.

Meulensteen has agreed to become the country's football technical director with a mandate to oversee preparations for their big moment in the sun – one which most of the rest of the world believes will be overcooked.

Away from the controversies Qatar, in addition to producing a tournament to remember, are anxious to make an impact on the pitch.

Meulensteen, who spent 11 years alongside manager Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford, is the man charged with laying down the groundwork after saying No to a coaching role at Craven Cottage.

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/john-richardson/436327/Rene-Meulensteen-rejects-Fulham-for-Qatar

WhiteJC

Martin Jol hanging in at Fulham
MARTIN Jol is just two games away from being axed as Fulham boss.

The Dutchman's stint at Craven Cottage has hardly been a roaring success and now the ex-Ajax manager is facing a showdown with mega-rich owner Shahid Khan.

The American billionaire also owns NFL side Jacksonville Jaguars and he will be in London later this month to watch them play the San Francisco 49ers at Wembley.

And Jol knows his job is on the line unless he can mastermind decent results at Crystal Palace and Southampton before then.

A source said: "Shahid has scheduled a meeting with Martin and – depending on results in the next two games – that could go either way."

The Cottagers climbed out of the bottom three last week with a win over Stoke but there have been rumblings of discontent for some time.

Despite all the rumours, former Spurs chief Jol remains bullish about his future with the club.

He said: "I have great plans for the club and if I can do that, fine.

"And it's fine for them as well because I think when I came here they were quite happy and lucky to get me.

"I was used to being at good clubs and I want to make Fulham into a good club.

"I will listen to them but I don't know what their intentions are – but if they want to work with me then I am fine with that."

Striker Darren Bent, who was signed on a season's loan from Aston Villa, has backed his current boss.

He said: "The players are behind him. He is the right man for the job."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/344716/Martin-Jol-hanging-in-at-Fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol pledges to improve on Darren Bent's progress

MARTIN JOL has a way of kick-starting fallen star strikers' careers.

Fulham striker Darren Bent [GETTY]

He did it with Luis Suarez when they were together at Ajax and the controversial South American first started biting off more than he could chew.

And he seems to have done it again with Dimitar Berbatov at Fulham after the £30million Bulgarian fell out of favour at Old Trafford.

Now the Dutchman has set his sights on helping Darren Bent to become an England World Cup contender again, after he was frozen out at Aston Villa.

Fulham manager Martin Jol [GETTY]

Jol says: "I always look after good players and they always have a good season with me – and Darren Bent will have a good season.

"I have spoken to him and he knows what my intentions are.

"He knows we want to help him have useful games like he had against Stoke and Everton.

"Sometimes he won't start, but my intentions are to get him back to his best."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/436359/Fulham-boss-Martin-Jol-pledges-to-improve-on-Darren-Bent-s-progress?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-sport-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Sport+Feed%29