https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Khan: Martin Jol's job is safe

Started by Jack Fulham, October 13, 2013, 11:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on October 14, 2013, 07:44:32 AM
Quote from: FulhamFan2 on October 14, 2013, 02:02:29 AM
Still not convinced about Kahn and his motives for buying FFC. What will it take for Jol to be sacked? If Al Fayed hadn't been decisive and sacked Sanchez we would gone down. Perhaps someone should remind Kahn of this? Or perhaps he has no idea about our clubs recent history?

Me too, cant believe he didn't make an offer for West Ham and the Olympic stadium, ready made ground for his American football London franchise, because that surely is the only reason he's here?

So what was Maf's reason for being here 10 years?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: alfie on October 14, 2013, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on October 14, 2013, 07:44:32 AM
Still not convinced about Kahn and his motives for buying FFC. What will it take for Jol to be sacked? If Al Fayed hadn't been decisive and sacked Sanchez we would gone down. Perhaps someone should remind Kahn of this? Or perhaps he has no idea about our clubs recent history?

Me too, cant believe he didn't make an offer for West Ham and the Olympic stadium, ready made ground for his American football London franchise, because that surely is the only reason he's here?

So what was Maf's reason for being here 10 years?

masochist?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

horse1031

Quote from: Oakeshott on October 14, 2013, 03:57:19 PM
The evidence is clear that our new owner is a highly successful businessman and we should therefore pay him the respect of assuming that he knows what he is doing vis-à-vis the managership of our Club. It is inconceivable that his advisers didn't tell him when he bought the Club that Jol had a decent reputation around Europe, and it is equally inconceivable, even if the owner hasn't enough football experience to see it himself, that his advisers aren't telling him that currently the team looks woeful and that is primary down to said Jol.

The judgement the owner must take is how long to give things to turn around, and allied to that is the judgement as to whom to appoint who will be likely to turn things around if Jol continues to fail. I'd be amazed if the owner's advisers weren't already well into exploring options, and equally amazed if Jol was with us at Christmas if the poor performances continue. Because if they do, with the run of fixtures over the next ten weeks, we will surely be in the bottom three and in all probability becoming significantly adrift of safety.

The ball, it therefore seems to me, is very much in Jol's court. As a long standing critic I think the evidence of his tenure with us is that, the occasional good performance notwithstanding, our form will continue to be woeful, so I expect him to be history by Christmas. But it is still possible that Jol will prove us critics wrong and get the team producing good enough performances for the owner to let him see out his current contract. If I was in the business of offering odds, I'd say there is an 80% chance Jol will be history by Christmas, though obviously I'd prefer the 20% chance to come up as that would mean we were reasonably placed in the table, and what matters above everything else is Premiership survival.

:plus one:

Just because Khan has not sacked Jol does not mean he does not have a clue how to run Fulham.  Put yourself in his shoes...  We are 7 games into the season and he is not going to start sacking managers with no one waiting in the wings?  Not only is that dumb, that is suicidal for a new owner.  I want Jol out only if we get someone in that will move us forward.  Getting someone like MON in to manage the team does not excite me.

horse1031

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 14, 2013, 04:52:30 AM

Perhaps Mr Khan knows and is more decisive than you give him credit for.

Sanchez wasn't fired by MAF until December. Khan still has a lot of time to beat that.

this... sanchez was given too much time.  Jol is still a better manager than Sanchez is.

Forever Fulham

So Kahn gets his information on Fulham in large part from Jags president Lamping.  Wikipedia says he was a Marketing manager for Annheiser Busch (Budweiser beer family) at company HQ in St. Louis, Missouri until he was tapped to be the president of the St. Louis Cardinals (Major League) Baseball team.  He later took the top job overseeing the construction of an NFL stadium built to be SHARED BY TWO TEAMS.  Hmmmm.  Then he got tapped for the Jags job.  He has both World Series (baseball) and a SuperBowl (NFL) rings.  Thing is: He has an accountancy undergrad degree, and an MBA.  A numbers guy.  He is credited with creating a number of (unexplained or undescribed) fan outreach programs in his short time with the Jaguars purportedly building up season and individual ticket sales.   From a short term perspective, I am worried about whether he has a sufficient base knowledge of the game to be Kahn's filter.  Now, if he is freely talking with Alistair, fine.  But if he is being influenced by the baseball/football bean counter, I'm worried.  Of course, Alistair is a bean counter too.  But at least he has a reputation as game savvy.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 14, 2013, 08:18:29 PM
So Kahn gets his information on Fulham in large part from Jags president Lamping.  Wikipedia says he was a Marketing manager for Annheiser Busch (Budweiser beer family) at company HQ in St. Louis, Missouri until he was tapped to be the president of the St. Louis Cardinals (Major League) Baseball team.  He later took the top job overseeing the construction of an NFL stadium built to be SHARED BY TWO TEAMS.  Hmmmm.  Then he got tapped for the Jags job.  He has both World Series (baseball) and a SuperBowl (NFL) rings.  Thing is: He has an accountancy undergrad degree, and an MBA.  A numbers guy.  He is credited with creating a number of (unexplained or undescribed) fan outreach programs in his short time with the Jaguars purportedly building up season and individual ticket sales.   From a short term perspective, I am worried about whether he has a sufficient base knowledge of the game to be Kahn's filter.  Now, if he is freely talking with Alistair, fine.  But if he is being influenced by the baseball/football bean counter, I'm worried.  Of course, Alistair is a bean counter too.  But at least he has a reputation as game savvy.

I'd say that Lamping's "flexibility" between sports in his past is evidence that he's less involved with the sporting side of the business and moreso with the profitability side. Given his ability to take on a number of very high profile projects/businesses, it would seem that he is successful at getting from them what their owners want, financially speaking.

It doesn't seem, from your summary of things, that he has ever been charged with the sporting end of things. So it seems doubtful that Khan would expect anything other than financial accountings of things to come in via Mr. Lamping.

I'm not worried about the kind of miscommunication you seem concerned with. In fact, I'm more inclined to be happy that we have someone who's got sports stadia construction (top of the line stadia at that) and sports championships on his CV.

It also seems to me that Mr Khan is keen to hire and trust the right people.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

HatterDon

Quote from: horse1031 on October 14, 2013, 08:05:18 PM

Sanchez wasn't fired by MAF until December. Khan still has a lot of time to beat that.

this... sanchez was given too much time.  Jol is still a better manager than Sanchez is.

Now there's a lead for the cover sheet to Jol's cv
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Artful Dodger

Pleased that at least some statement has been made even if it is a little non committal. The trouble is that Khan may have only seen 7 games, we have all seen 2 seasons and 7 games with a general decline during that period. We may well be ok this season with Jol but that just feels like saying be happy with just butter on your toast in the morning with no jam to look forward to!

Oh, and I am not overly pleased that Khan is not expecting us to win any trophies....well I hope for at least one cup victory every season (hope yet to be fulfilled, of course)!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

EJL

Coming to that conclusion must've been like choosing your favourite serial killer.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 14, 2013, 08:42:36 PM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 14, 2013, 08:18:29 PM

I'd say that Lamping's "flexibility" between sports in his past is evidence that he's less involved with the sporting side of the business and moreso with the profitability side. Given his ability to take on a number of very high profile projects/businesses, it would seem that he is successful at getting from them what their owners want, financially speaking.

It doesn't seem, from your summary of things, that he has ever been charged with the sporting end of things. So it seems doubtful that Khan would expect anything other than financial accountings of things to come in via Mr. Lamping.

I'm not worried about the kind of miscommunication you seem concerned with. In fact, I'm more inclined to be happy that we have someone who's got sports stadia construction (top of the line stadia at that) and sports championships on his CV.

It also seems to me that Mr Khan is keen to hire and trust the right people.
I would agree with you that Lamping has left a trail of achievement behind him.  It is impressive.  And a re-read of that Daily Mail article clarified to me that Kahn is regularly communicating directly with A.M., so I think Kahn is playing it smart--directly communicating with both Lamping (probably on stadium construction/infrastructure issues/plans) and and Mackintosh on team finances, and as an opinion check on Jol.  My earlier post went too far.

nose

Is he?
Sanchez took over a very poor, underfit, underperforming squad. He was very much unloved by the fans from day one and had to rebuild fast. Things didn't work out BUT he was very unlucky in that in his early games away at arsenal and home to middlesbourgh exceptionally poor refereeing turned victory into defeat and who knows what might have been if we had got the confidence up and the crowd on his side. Sanchez brought in some good players and some porr players and IMO showed too much loyalty to too many of the poorer ones, however we competed in every game and there is a stat that showed that up to 80 minutes we were quite good but the the last 10 killed us.
Jol started wih a team that was essentially Roy's side plus Moose. He immediately alienated many of the players, fell out with Ray, purchased A £10M lightweight that has only flickered occasionally and isn't worth his automatic starting place. He flirted with relegation last season and the team looks less good now. One home win in 8 games, no decent performances this season, and when we have looked a bit better eg second half V everton, he makes wholesale changes. Jol is taking us backwards, and whilst the win V stoke show some glimpses of encouragement the truth is for 85% of the game we were second best.

I suspect bent will be dropped for palace unless berba is unfit. Boeteng should also start, he was we need. The team that finished V stoke is the one that should start V palace. If not it will be another reason that I am substantially underwhelmed by mr jol. The montengran full back deserves a chance, I might risk him on either wing as soon as a chance becomes available.