watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Something we should be concerned about

Started by MasterHaynes, October 18, 2013, 08:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterHaynes

just read an interview with Wenger on BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24569490 about the philosophy of Arsenal to continue to develop their own players it ended with -

"We are now turning our attention to recruiting a top-class new head of academy, who will review all operations on youth development and lead us forward."

i would think it the top job for Academy coaches in the uk, no arguments with the club manager about giving his players a chance there.  Should we be worried?

leonffc

Yes!!
IF we do have unhappy academy staff, including Jennings, and a club like Arsenal come knocking then why would they stay?

BishopsParkFantastic

Yes. Loss of our top academy team .... and best young talent moving to Arsenal! The worst nightmare scenario.

cmg

If you are desperate for something (additional) to fret about then worry away.

Otherwise, sensibly, we should be no more worried than any other organisation about talented employees being recruited elsewhere. Happens all the time.

I agree that Arsenal are a top (and rich) club and that Wenger is an enlightened manager, but as for the idea that the Arsenal academy set-up is a more attractive proposition than ours... well, at the very least, I would say that to be a difficult one to prove using currently available facts.

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: cmg on October 18, 2013, 09:24:09 AM

If you are desperate for something (additional) to fret about then worry away.

Otherwise, sensibly, we should be no more worried than any other organisation about talented employees being recruited elsewhere. Happens all the time.

I agree that Arsenal are a top (and rich) club and that Wenger is an enlightened manager, but as for the idea that the Arsenal academy set-up is a more attractive proposition than ours... well, at the very least, I would say that to be difficult one to prove using currently available facts.

I'm not proposing to fret about it - just a 'real time' comment and expression of how I feel about the idea....

SouthfieldWhite

We should be worried.

Top teams can be ruthless in headhunting and they will look at the way our academy has grown and would expect them to want our staff

I have been saying this for quite a while and I really hope I get proved wrong on this matter

MasterHaynes

Against the background of disharmony between academy and first team staff I think it is a real concern not something that is just out there.

As you point out we have an attractive academy set up which would compare with Arsenals, with a similar philosophy of building for the future. Much of the current success and promise is due to arrival of Jennings and his staff, but clearly with the current disagreements we do not have the same commitment as Wenger's to offer opportunities to players with promise.

If Khan wants to build a sustainable premiership model then the Academy needs to be a central plank in the strategy. Arsenal have generated sizeable profits from players sold who came through their ranks besides the players retained and currently playing.

My view on it is Khan, as owner, needs to step in quickly to sort this out, make clear what is required, set clear targets, get Mackintosh involved and made responsible to ensure there is an integrated strategy with clear milestones and task him with implementing it. If necessary extend contracts with of key people like Jennings as any other business does to protect its future.

ToodlesMcToot

Is this First team staff vs Academy team staff rift any more substantiated than any other rumor we hear and fret over?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

BedsFFC

The team are playing possibly the worst football, arguably since Ray Wilkins' spell. It got bad under Coleman and dire with Sanchez but we'd have a few shots on goal. Something needs to change. However, I consider this to be the most important thread for a while. It's a touchy situation and maybe this isn't the place for it to be discussed but someone in the club needs to sort this, now.

God The Mechanic

As fans of a club that isn't in the big 4/5/6 you could get worried about pretty much anything.  Having a good season and managers getting poached, players attracting interest from elsewhere, coaching staff getting attracted elsewhere and doing an Ipswich/Leeds/Portsmouth/Rangers.  But if you do that you just won't enjoy anything!

If it happens it happens.  It'll suck, but who knows that there may not be someone abroad who can do just as good a job that some of the big teams may not have on their radar.  A Michu or Benteke of the youth development world.

cmg

I'd have to say I'm a bit puzzled about certain aspects of this thread.

The question was raised as to whether we should be worried that Arsenal aspire to have a top-class Academy set up (like ours). Most respondents thought we should, a minority (including, at least, me) didn't think so. A difference of opinion - excellent.

It was suggested that "IF we do have unhappy academy staff" it would be a cause of concern. I'm sure few people would disagree with that. However that is just a supposition. It does not mean there is a rift between the coaches of the senior and junior teams.

That is not to say that arguments do not take place concerning the progression of players. This would, in my experience, be quite normal. When I was involved in sports coaching I was quite often involved in heated arguments over whether, or not, young players should be promoted. It does not indicate a breakdown in relationships.

I'm sure of this, though. One thing worse than having an Academy set up and talent pool such as we have (whatever coveteous eyes may be cast towards it from the Big Boys) is not having it.

Arthur

An excellently argued post, cmg.

Of course, we're all keen to see younger players progress to the first-XI. However, there is a world of difference between playing against your peer group at U18 level and coming up against seasoned professionals in the PL. The fact that we seem to be finding it difficult to give our better youngsters at U21-level first team opportunities out on loan suggests that other managers are not as convinced as are some on here that our players are ready to make an impact in first-team football. (Compare this to the time when Arsenal looked to loan out Jack Wilshere: any number of clubs would have gladly taken him.) There was, by way of example, more than one proposal on this forum in the summer that Cauley Woodrow should start the season on our substitutes' bench. Yet, reading about his current loan spell at Southend, it is evident that he has still to progress further (perhaps considerably so) before he can be considered as good enough - even as a substitute - to contribute at the highest level.

I don't claim to know whether or not any of our younger players could be doing a better job than their first-XI counterpart, but I do know that players progress at different rates and that to promote a youngster too soon is likely to be every bit as detrimental to his chances of 'making the grade' as not promoting him soon enough.