more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (20/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 20, 2013, 08:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

CRYSTAL PALACE v FULHAM: BIG MATCH STATS AND FACTS

Crystal Palace are one of only two sides yet to keep a clean sheet in the Barclays Premier League this season (alongside Sunderland).

Fulham have failed to find the net in nine of their last 16 Barclays Premier League away games including the last two.

These two sides have the lowest win percentage in Premier League London derbies (both 21%).

Despite playing 503 minutes in the Premier League this season, Dimitar Berbatov has touched the ball just 17 times in the opposition box - three times a game on average.

Three of Fulham's five Premier League goals this season have been scored by substitutes (Bent 2, Ruiz 1); no side has scored more.

Fulham have won four and lost just one of their last six league meetings with the Eagles.

A Fulham player has netted a brace in three of the last four meetings between these sides (Andy Cole, Lee Clark and Luis Boa Morte).

Fulham have lost more points thanks to goals conceded in the final five minutes than any other side this term (four).

Palace have seen their woodwork struck seven times this season; a league-high.

Fulham have conceded more corners than any other Premier League team this term (60).

http://sportingpreview.com/football2013-2/2013253.php?

WhiteJC

Cult Hero

Fulham have had more than their fair share of characters over the years, players that for one reason or another have left their mark on the Cottage faithful. Ian McCulloch reveals our most colourful cult heroes...

"He's fat, he's round, he's worth a million pound, Jim Stannaaard, Jim Stannaaaaard!" Jim Stannard wasn't any of those things of course, but what he was, was a very good goalkeeper.

Remarkably agile for a big man, he had a commanding presence, was a great shot stopper, and his bravery and larger than life personality earned him cult status amongst the faithful. And he's also the only goalkeeper to score for Fulham while playing in goal. Or he might be. The controversy has raged for 24 years about whether it was Stannard or Andy Sayer who actually had the final touch for the winner in the 3-2 victory over Crewe Alexandra, but the big man has no doubts that it was his goal.

"Yep, definitely mine," he says unequivocally. "It says so in the Rothman's Year Book, so that's good enough for me! It had gone over the keeper's head from my kick, and Andy got a touch on it after it went over the line. He admitted to me at the time that it was mine. It was my goal and it won the match - I'll always have that."

And the song? "They used to sing a lot of songs about me!" he laughs. "But that was a good thing - I think it shows I was close to the fans, that I had a good relationship and a rapport with them. Things went well for me at Fulham. I know we were in the lower divisions and we struggled a bit, but that meant I used to get a lot of work every week.

"Obviously, I made mistakes, but I was brave and committed, and I think because of that the fans forgave me for those mistakes."

Stannard now finds himself at Dagenham & Redbridge, having been a casualty of the managerial changes at Southampton last season where he'd been goalkeeping coach for the last two-and-a-half years. It's part and parcel of football, and Stannard is philosophical about his fate, but it's difficult not to feel sympathy for someone who finds their future determined by circumstances beyond their control.

"It's an unfortunate thing in football," he says. "You just don't know how long you're going to be in a job. A new manager comes along, and that's it. You're in a job one minute and out of it the next. I thought I did well at Southampton and I did well before that at Crystal Palace - I lost my job there because they went into administration. It's difficult not to get a bit disillusioned at times by some of the things that happen.

"Southampton were doing okay. We had a good team, a good set of lads, and I always thought we'd do well. We'd had a very difficult start to the season, but we'd picked up and I could see us finishing comfortably in mid-table. And then, out of the blue, something like that happens. But you have to pick yourself up, look forward, and trust in your ability."

The holder of Fulham's record number of appearances for a goalkeeper, Stannard spent 14 years at the Cottage, with a stint at Gillingham in the middle. And he picked up a few more honours during his time at the Gills. "I broke all sorts of records there," he remembers. "I had 29 clean sheets in one season which broke Ray Clemence's record. And I also broke the record for goals conceded - we only let in six at home all season, and just 14 away! I spent five years at Gillingham, but my real career was at Fulham, that's where my memories are."

And very fond memories they are too. "It's somewhere that will always be in my heart," he said. "David Hamilton introduced me to the supporters before a Fulham v Southampton game, and then at half-time as I walked round the pitch everybody clapped me, and people came down from the stands to shake my hand - it was a great feeling. It was really, really nice - it's just a shame I don't work there!

"I spent a long time at Fulham, and if you perform then the supporters respect what you're doing. You have to understand that when I was there we only had crowds of 3,000 to 5,000, so a lot of the supporters there today wouldn't know who I was, but the fans who know a bit about the Club and its history will. People still stop me in the street, Fulham supporters, and say how much they appreciate the job I did all those years ago. So I'm not forgotten and it's a great feeling."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/19/copy-of-cult-hero

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace V Fulham: The Struggle For Salvation

Morning all.

Premier League football returns this afternoon after a two week absence, with our fixture at home to Fulham on Monday sparking a sense of stoic expectation amongst both sets of supporters.

On either side of the tie, you will find a club struggling for momentum, unsure of their natural place in a division where weakness is pounced upon in an instant. Whilst we've done our fair share of navel-gazing in the last few weeks, it's fair to say that Martin Jol hasn't had the easiest of rides either. Having stumbled through their opening seven games, winning two, drawing one and losing four, the Dutchman's underachieving squad find themselves outside of the bottom three on goal difference alone, a fact that, despite the season still being in its relatively early stages, has led a number of fans to openly voice their discontent.

It's been a summer of upheaval for the west London outfit, with long standing owner Mohamed Al-Fayed deciding to cash in his chips, selling the club to the eccentric owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Shahid Khan. The American born billionaire, who made his fortune from Industrial Engineering, was seen by Al-Fayed as a worthy successor, with his pockets deeper and his hunger for success far stronger than that of the 84-year-old Egyptian, but his first few weeks in the boardroom have been far from plain sailing.

With Fulham's squad, on paper at least, looking capable of mounting an assault on the top half of the Premier League table, their early season struggles have caused consternation for many at The Cottage, as they grope frantically for a sign of progress rather than stagnation. Of course, the troubles navigated so far by Jol and his players could disappear from view with a flurry of impressive results, such is the nature of the uncontrollable beast that is the Premier League hype machine, but for the moment, it certainly feels as if Jol's men are caught in the middle of a storm, with salvation ominously absent from the horizon.

Our story is far more straightforward for any outsider to grasp. Having defied countless sceptics in winning promotion to the Premier League, we are now struggling to adjust, with a raft of new players still getting to know one another whilst the need for points intensifies from week to week. Of course, from a neutrals perspective, it would seem inevitable that our season would end in failure, but given Fulham's own troubles of late, there is a chance that we could halt our run of consecutive defeats in dramatic fashion.

There is an acceptance of the need for improvement from everyone at the club. The board and Holloway himself have been quick to admit that we haven't performed well of late, whilst we as supporters have looked on in exasperation rather than annoyance as our current predicament has worsened. Unfortunately, the last four fixtures have set a relentlessly high bar, with little or no respite in the standard of play required to match our opponents, our next tie does at least provide some cause for optimism.

It may surprise many to know that we haven't lost a home game under the floodlights in 21 outings, with our last defeat coming against Leicester on the 16th March 2010. With the atmosphere sure to be crackling and the Sky cameras in attendance, it's imperative that we manage to stretch that already impressive number to 22. It was always going to be a struggle to maintain our place in the top flight, but with confidence running low, a win could galvanise the club, kick-starting a run of form which would drag the dream of survival back into our line of sight.

Until tomorrow.

http://hltco.org/2013/10/18/crystal-palace-v-fulham-the-struggle-for-salvation/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol must guide Fulham past Crystal Palace to save his job

It seems even a win can't save you your job if you're a Premier League manager these days.

Martin Jol's position as Fulham boss is still on tenterhooks, despite beating Stoke City 1-0 before the international break. If rumours are to be believed, a loss away at Crystal Palace on Monday will see him gone.

It's a typical story in English football, of course, and one we've come accustomed to. But at Fulham, it's not quite so regular. We haven't sacked a manager since 2007; something that is really quite surprising given the climate of the modern game.

And so these live-or-die matches are unique occurrences for us and, for what it's worth, it's no pleasurable experience. It's a mere signifier of our poor start to the season and our inauspicious lack of spending – only half of which can be blamed on Jol himself.

For that, is one game enough to truly test him on? Yes, you could say he's had two solid years at Craven Cottage to prove his worth but surely a bad result against Palace shouldn't spell the end? It just seems so unnecessarily terminal when, in truth, there are very few alternatives to our current gaffer out there. Rene Meuelnsteen has gone to Qatar, Gus Poyet has gone to Sunderland. And, compared to the other candidates, Jol is far superior.

If we were to lose at Southampton next week as well then, yes, he should go. Giving him a singular opportunity to prove his worth, though, will not do him justice.

That said, a visit to Selhurst Park is a perfect opportunity for the Dutchman to stamp his authority and his signature on this team. Away from home we have improved significantly under Jol and with a crop of players that like to push forward, we could cause a porous Palace all sorts of problems.

It's all about getting the blend right for Jol – and he has huge decisions to make if, indeed, his role as manager rests on this sole result. How will he incorporate Darren Bent? Will Dimitar Berbatov start? Will Ashkan Dejagah, who has been mysteriously left out for some time, return to the team sheet?

Of course for Jol, however, there is only one answer he is keen to find, and it comes in the form of three points.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/19/martin-jol-must-guide-fulham-past-crystal-palace-to-save-his-job-4151554/?

WhiteJC

Kit's Toon Reaction

Kit Symons reflects on Friday evening's draw with Newcastle as Moussa Dembele bagged his first goals for the Under-21s.

Symons On Newcastle Draw

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/19/u21-reaction?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol's Revival? Crystal Palace vs Fulham

Monday's bottom-of-the-table clash at Selhurst Park is an opportunity both sides will be desperate to take. Crystal Palace can't escape the bottom three, as they are currently four points from safety, but with their next three league games against in-form Arsenal, West Brom and Everton sides, they will be looking to reel in their relegation contenders while they can.

Ian Holloway will also be hoping that a win on Monday will fill his players with enough confidence to take some points from their next three matches.

Fulham go into the weekend out of the relegation zone on alphabetical order from Norwich, but a win at Palace could see them rise as high as 11th. Norwich travel to Arsenal on Saturday, and some of their other close rivals Cardiff and West Ham take on Chelsea and Manchester City respectively, so a significant rise up the table is looking likely should Fulham take the points on Monday.

With much to play for, I would expect to see two attacking set ups. Both have scored just five league goals this season, so it's hard to say who is more likely to take their chances. Fulham's front man Dimitar Berbatov has endured a horrible season so far, not having found the net once, and managing to bring the team down with him; his departure late on in last weekend's Stoke game resulted in a more fluent style of play. Meanwhile, Palace are still waiting for their target man Glenn Murray to return from a knee injury.

Fulham will have Darren Bent waiting in the wings though, so an attacking game might better suit the whites. The English striker has scored twice in the last three games in all competitions, scoring each of his goals after coming off the bench.

If Bent is to be subbed on against a tiring Palace defence, one chance might be all he needs. Fulham will be further bolstered by the imminent return of Scott Parker, the closest thing they have to a creative midfielder. Parker's vision, which I think is underestimated, and Bent's clever runs could be Palace's undoing.

Palace do have home advantage, and Fulham have failed to score in nine of their last 16 away league matches. However, only Sunderland have conceded more goals than Palace this season, so an open game should make Fulham the more likely team to dominate a Palace side low on confidence.

Fulham's players will be under less pressure following last week's win, and add the fact that they have taken 13 points from a possible 18 in their last six league meetings against the Eagles, they just about go into a tight and unpredictable game as favourites.

http://threeandin.com/?p=28972

WhiteJC

Jol uses World Cup carrot
Martin Jol will use the lure of playing in next summer's World Cup to motivate his players over the coming months.

Martin Jol will use the lure of playing in next summer's World Cup to motivate his players over the coming months.

Bryan Ruiz (Costa Rica), Ashkan Dejagah (Iran), Maarten Stekelenburg (Holland), Derek Boateng (Ghana), Philippe Senderos (Switzerland) and Pajtim Kasami (Switzerland) are among the Fulham players who could feature in the tournament in Brazil next year.

Costa Rica captain Ruiz is clearly likely to start for his country but others will need to impress at Craven Cottage over the coming months to boost their credentials for World Cup selection.

"That is a big inspiration and I always try to use it," Jol explained. "But I try not to overuse it, because it could be a big problem if everyone wants to go to the World Cup you know.

"For example Brede (Hangeland) has got no problem with Norway, Philippe Senderos wants to have his games, he wants to play and if they don't play they've got a problem, because all these national teams and their coaches they want their players to play.

"For example with (Holland coach) Louis van Gaal, if you don't play he won't select you, so of course I use it as a motivation."

He added: "I've got Alex Kacaniklic, he's in the Sweden team and did well, Kasami has made his debut now, so of course they want to go to Brazil.

"But first they have to perform and do well."

Jol admitted though that performing in the Premier League brings pressure in any event.

"Pressure is always there because you have need pressure to compete and perform and on the other hand in the Premier League there will always be pressure to win games," he said.

Ruiz helped book Costa Rica's World Cup spot with a skilful left-footed strike across his body in the opening half of their 2-1 win over Mexico during the week, and Jol clearly hopes the 28-year-old will put in a similar performance against Crystal Palace on Monday.

But for now he is just happy the midfielder has returned injury-free along with his other foreign players.

"The only obstacle can be our fitness or people like Bryan who was on international duty. That is my only worry, how will they come back. Our medical staff do a great job however and everyone's fit. So as long as everyone's fit there's no problem, but to win games," he said.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/englishfootball/barclayspremierleague/barclayspremierleaguenews/jol-uses-world-cup-carrot-S11363842693774?

WhiteJC

Cottagers to shoot down Eagles

Chris Hammer is backing Fulham to pick up three important points from their trip to Crystal Palace on Monday night.

Fulham can pick up a crucial victory on Monday night

Crystal Palace v Fulham (2000 BST)

It's fair to say Crystal Palace have started the season as badly as we expected and as things stand Sunderland look the only danger to our hefty pre-season wager on the Eagles finishing bottom.

A measly haul of three points from the opening seven games sees them lie four adrift of safety already, with just the home victory over the Black Cats preventing them from propping up the table.

It doesn't take a genius to work out why Ian Holloway's side are struggling to cope in the top flight - their attack lacks any kind of cutting edge while they're shipping far too many goals at the back.

Along with Sunderland, Palace are one of the only two sides yet to keep a clean sheet this season and they couldn't even keep out League One outfit Bristol City during their shock Capital One Cup second-round defeat back in August.

Last time out the Eagles found themselves 3-0 down inside 38 minutes as Liverpool ran them ragged at Anfield but it really should have been a much wider margin of victory as the Reds decided to take their foot off the gas having spurned numerous chances.

At the other end of the pitch, Palace have managed only one goal in their last four games since the 3-1 victory over Sunderland and it's not as if anyone can even say they've created plenty of chances and just been unlucky inside the box.

I did mention in my outright relegation preview that Derby's lowest points record haul of 11 might even be at risk. So far I've seen little to suggest otherwise.

On Monday night they host a Fulham side who are one of the four sides on seven points but arrive at Selhurst Park on the back of a morale-boosting 1-0 victory over Stoke - their first since the opening day of the season.

Martin Jol's celebration on the touchline when Darren Bent netted what proved to be the 83rd-minute winner emphasised the pressure he must have been feeling before later branding the victory as "unbelievably important".

The Dutchman is confident about his future at Craven Cottage despite his side's precarious position but he'll certainly need a few more good results to convince everyone else considering his 'sack race' odds are currently 4/1 with Sky Bet.

However disappointing the Cottagers' results have been so far, they can at least point to a couple of hard luck stories to explain their plight unlike the Eagles.

They conceded a stoppage-time goal in their agonising 1-1 home draw with West Brom last month and suffered the same fate again two weeks later against Cardiff although this time it 'only' cost them a point rather than two.

Nevertheless, had they held on for a victory and a draw then the league table would be telling a slightly different story and perhaps one more accurate to their standing in terms of quality.

In terms of team news, Scott Parker could make a welcome return to Jol's squad having been sidelined with a calf problem while Adel Taarabt has been declared fit after the recent international matches..

All things considered, I feel Fulham are an appealing price of 17/10 to pour more misery on Palace and give their own prospects another shot in the arm.

Opta stats:

Crystal Palace are one of only two sides yet to keep a clean sheet in the Barclays Premier League this season (alongside Sunderland)

Fulham have won four and lost just one of their last six league meetings with the Eagles.

Fulham have lost more points thanks to goals conceded in the final five minutes than any other side this term (four).

Verdict: Crystal Palace 0 Fulham 2

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/312/8979747/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss faces keeper conundrum

Fulham number one Maarten Stekelenburg

Fulham boss Martin Jol is weighing up whether to restore Maarten Stekelenburg to the starting XI for Monday night's trip to Crystal Palace.

The Dutch keeper hasn't featured since suffering a shoulder injury on his debut against Sunderland on the opening day of the season, but is back in contention for the London derby at Selhurst Park.

However, Jol has been impressed with David Stockdale's performances between the sticks in Stekelenburg's absence, and is yet to decide who will keep goal in south-east London.

He said: "I talk to them every day and I talk to my goalkeeping coach [Hans Segers]. We have to make a decision because I've been happy with Stockdale."

Fulham keeper David Stockdale

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-faces-keeper-conundrum-6209500?

WhiteJC

Fulham U18s 0-3 Aston Villa U18s

Fulham's Under-18s were beaten 3-0 by Aston Villa at Motspur Park on Saturday.

The Whites failed to really get going against an athletic Midlands side who set the tone for the game with a crunching tackle in the first minute.

The first goal was always going to be crucial and it was Villa who scored it on the half-hour mark when Solomon Sambou was adjudged to have fouled an opposition player as a corner came in. The subsequent spot-kick was despatched past Ryan Boot, on loan from Port Vale.

Steve Wigley's half-time team-talk went straight out of the window when Villa made it 2-0 on 46 minutes. Latching onto a loose ball and counter-attacking in numbers, the initial shot was saved by Boot but a Villa player tucked home the rebound.

Play was held up for around 20 minutes on the hour mark when Noe Baba suffered a serious neck injury after landing awkwardly following a tackle by a Villa player. He was stretchered off and taken to hospital.

When play resumed, Villa made sure of the points with 15 minutes left. The Whites failed to clear their lines and the ball was eventually slotted past Boot to cap a disappointing afternoon for Wigley's troops.

Fulham: Boot, Baba (Humphries 60), Burgess, Donnelly, Evans, Smile (Sheckleford 46), Sambou, Hyndman, O'Halloran, Williams, Leacock-McLeod (Elworthy 70).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/19/fulham-u18s-0-3-aston-villa-u18s?

WhiteJC

Brentford 3 1 Colchester
FT (HT: 0-0)

Brentford came from behind to kick start their season with three goals in a devastating 10-minute spell to beat Colchester 3-1.

Magnus Ukuonghae gave the visitors the lead just after the break, rising unmarked to power home Luke Garbutt's corner.

But the Bees hit back in the 76th minute when Marcello Trotta slotted home Clayton Donaldson's low near-post cross.

Chelsea loanee George Saville put the home side ahead with 10 minutes remaining, firing home a curling drive from the edge of the area.

And the comeback was complete with minutes to go when on-loan Cardiff winger Kadeem Harris headed home on his league debut from Sam Saunders' precision cross at the far post.

Brentford might have gone in ahead at the break, but Trotta fired wide from three yards when it looked easier to score.

Adam Forshaw went close for Uwe Rosler's side, but his dipping free-kick was tipped wide by U's goalkeeper Sam Walker.

Saville also went close with a close-range header which just cleared the crossbar.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-report/288350/-?

WhiteJC

Accrington 0 0 Oxford Utd

Marcus Bettinelli was Accrington's hero as he kept out Oxford United in a 0-0 draw at the Crown Ground.

On-loan Fulham goalkeeper Bettinelli pulled off some superb saves in the second half as United hunted for the winner.

Stanley started well with winger Kal Naismith's early shot flying just wide while Oxford had to defend numerous Lee Naylor free-kicks.

Naismith came close again with a superb solo effort when he went on a mazy run into the area but was denied by the outstretched foot of Oxford 'keeper Ryan Clarke

United's first-half chances were limited, with David Hunt's free-kick always going over while Bettinelli palmed away James Constable's close-range header just before half-time.

However, the visitors, unbeaten away from home this term, upped their game after the break with wide man Sean Rigg firing into the side-netting while Dave Kitson skimmed his header just wide of a post.

Then it was the Bettinelli show as he denied Kitson after 70 minutes with a superb save from a close-range header.

The Stanley stopper then kept out Rigg's fierce drive and one-handedly pushed away Michael Rayne's low header.

Stanley finished strongly and almost grabbed the winner themselves in injury time but Peter Murphy was unable to turn the ball into the net amid a frantic goalmouth scramble and both sides had to settle for a point.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-report/288902/-?

WhiteJC

Crunch week for Fulham boss Martin Jol as he prepares for meeting with owner Shahid Khan

Owner Shahid Khan is flying in from the United States and will meet Jol and club staff - he hopes to arrive in time to watch the Crystal Palace game

Martin Jol faces a crunch week over his future as Fulham boss.

Owner Shahid Khan is flying in from the United States and will meet Jol and club staff.

Khan hopes to arrive in time to watch Fulham's match against Crystal Palace on Monday, with a trip to Southampton to come.

He will stay in the country to see his NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars take on San Francisco 49ers at Wembley next Sunday, where Jol has been invited to join him in an executive box.

Fulham's 1-0 victory over Stoke ahead of the international break relieved some of the pressure on Jol (below).

But defeat and a poor performance at Selhurst Park will spark a full-scale inquest into Fulham's start to the season.

Khan has backed his manager, but there are concerns inside Craven Cottage over the average age of Jol's squad.

This Saturday's trip to Southampton, which Khan will be in the country for, will provide physical evidence of how Fulham can prosper from making the most of a good academy and promoting from within.

Former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen turned down an offer to become assistant manager, which raised questions over Jol and his backroom staff.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/crunch-week-fulham-boss-martin-2472291#ixzz2iFO5k7kP
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Kieran Richardson backs Martin Jol

Fulham midfielder Kieran Richardson has backed Martin Jol as the man to turn their fortunes around.

There had been speculation over the Dutchman's future after a poor start to the season.

Richardson though, who started his career under Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, believes the players are all behind Jol.

"Martin Jol is a great coach," Richardson told the Daily Express.

"Since I have been in the game he is definitely one of the best managers that I've been around. Other players feel the same.

"We would all be upset [if he left]. I don't want to see him get the sack. His credentials are right up there so I don't see the need to get rid of this manager."

Fulham take on Crystal Palace in their next game on Monday.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/richardson-backs-jol_112387.html

WhiteJC

Three Key Battles: Crystal Palace v Fulham

Monday Night Football this week comes from Selhurst Park where Fulham are the visitors to Crystal Palace in a crucial London derby in terms of the relegation places.

The two sides will take the field a place apart with the home side in 19th with only 3 points and Fulham in 17th with just 7 themselves in the Premier League table. The visitors don't have the best of record in London derbies, in fact the have the worst points-per-game stats, only averaging 0.91.

Neither managers will have their full quota available, Palace will be without Hunt, Murray and Williams, with Gabbidon, Dikgacoi and McCarthy all doubts. For Martin Jol, Hughes, Scott Parker and Dejagah aren't expected to pass fitness tests.

Both sides have had disciplinary issues already this term and with the man in the middle, Lee Mason, not one to hold back this derby has the capacity to become quite a heated affair with so much at stake. All in all, my money would be on a close game, probably with the Eagles snatching a win.

Jack Simpkin's Prediction: Crystal Palace 1-0 Fulham

The game is a 8pm kick-off on Monday night and is live on Sky Sports 1HD.

Use the links to see which match-ups Touchline Talk have identified as the Three Key Battles...

1. Dimitar Berbatov v Adrian Mariappa

Berbatov has been somewhat disappointing this season without a goal in the league after a very slow start but you can never underestimate what he'll do from game to game. Whilst he might look to be out of form, all through his career he has bounced back with a brilliant performance sooner or later and many would argue he's overdue to do it again.

Mariappa will need to be alert to any movement from the Bulgarian because with talented players sitting behind the front man, if he doesn't track his runs, he could find himself one-on-one with the keeper, a situation where you would expect him to score.

In terms of the long ball, Berbatov is strong in the air and the Jamaican centre-half will have a job on his hands to compete but he can't let Fulham use the high ball too much because it could be the difference between the two sides. An authoritative header wouldn't go a miss to put Berbatov on the back foot in this battle early on.

2. Bryan Ruiz v Mile Jedinak

It's been no secret to opposing sides that Martin Jol has really used Ruiz as his main playmaker this season and on Monday, it'll be Mile Jedinak in a defensive midfield role with the responsibility of dealing with him.

Time on the ball for the Costa Rican could end in tragedy for Holloway's side so there is no doubt, this battle could shape the outcome of the game. Jedinak will have to sacrifice his attacking urges when Fulham get hold of the ball anywhere on the pitch and keep a close eye on Ruiz or offence flow for the Cottagers could be all too easy.

On the flip side, if the Australian gets his job right and does close down Ruiz whenever he gets the ball, times his tackles and reads the game well, Fulham could find themselves struggling to find their front men and Palace's attack could have ample opportunity to find the net so all to play for in the middle of the park.

3. Cameron Jerome v Brede Hangeland

Cameron Jerome could well get a start in this match for only his third for Palace since moving on loan from Stoke with Fulham's defence there for the taking if he can use his experience to cause them some issues.

Hangeland has been in charge of that defence all season but they have conceded nine goals already in the league and with Jerome, alongside Chamakh being their main threats in the game, the Norwegian will have to be very alert, alongside his colleagues in the back line to keep the home side at bay.

Not often will Hangeland  expect to be matched in the air but Jerome definitely could with what he's shown throughout his career. Palace won't want to put balls over the top too much but if they do, who ever dominates under the high ball out of these too could go far to help their side win this tie.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/three-key-battles-crystal-palace-v-fulham/69938/?

WhiteJC

Fulham winger Kieran Richardson defends under-fire boss Martin Jol

Fulham winger Kieran Richardson has touted Martin Jol as one of football's great managers and claims he should not be held to blame for the Cottagers' poor start to the season.

Jol's future as Fulham boss has been the subject of speculation with some fans calling for his head after the recent defeat at home to Cardiff.

However, Richardson believes Jol will turn the club's on-field fortunes around.

"He's got great man-management skills, he's a great coach, his understanding of the game is top draw," Richardson said.

"Since I've been in the game he's definitely up there as one of the best managers I've been around. He's managed top clubs. What initially attracted me to Fulham was the manager.

"I do believe and think all the players believe he is definitely the manager to take us forward. He's under a little bit of pressure at the moment, but a win on Monday and we're on 10 points and we're mid-table and everyone's silent.

"We're the ones out there playing the game. Obviously we want to do as well as we can for Fulham, for the manager and the fans."

Those fans may well be losing patience with their club, as Fulham's last outing - a 1-0 win at home to Stoke before the international break - brought only their second victory in the league this season.

Richardson said: "We know [their] frustration and we want to do as well as we can. We don't want to sit on the bottom of the league.

"With the players we have in our team we shouldn't be there. No game in the Premiership is given, you have to work hard for it. We had a good win in the last game and hopefully we can beat [Crystal] Palace on Monday."

The former Manchester United player believes that were it not for a dose of bad luck, Fulham could be sitting further up the table.

Richardson added: "It's early in the season, some results we just missed out. At Newcastle away they scored in the last minute. We've been a bit unlucky in that sense. But hopefully it will turn around for us now and we can crack on."

A loss at Crystal Palace on Monday would add to the pressure on Dutchman Jol, but Richardson hopes the club keep faith with the manager

"I think we feel upset. I feel I've let him down," Richardson continued.

"He brought me to the club and I don't want to see him get the sack. As a manager, I think his credentials are right up there so I don't see the need to get rid of this manager."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8981813/fulham-winger-kieran-richardson-defends-under-fire-boss-martin-jol?