watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (23/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 23, 2013, 04:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'I won't throw money on the fire' - Fulham owner Shad Khan on his strategy for growth

Shad Khan is the embodiment of the American dream.

Arriving in Chicago from Lahore as a 16-year-old with $50 in his pocket, he cleaned dishes for $1.20 an hour while studying engineering at the University of Illinois. Now 17,000 people work for his car parts company, his fortune is around £2.4billion and the Premier League's newest club owner has just arrived from Jacksonville in his private jet.

"I had to overcome a lot of barriers. Until 1947, it was illegal for people from the subcontinent to migrate to the US. The subcontinentals were the last ethnic minority to gain citizenship." The adjustment for the 63-year-old even meant he stopped using his real name, Shahid. "You assimilate," he says. "My name was too hard. They said Shad is what we are calling you. You go with the flow."

For Fulham fans, the greater worry after a stuttering start to the season is whether Khan can adjust to the flow of English football. Despite buying the club in July for an estimated £150million, last night's match against Crystal Palace was only the second time Khan had seen his side play this season. And he is only in London because his NFL team, Jacksonville Jaguars, are playing at Wembley on Sunday when they face San Francisco 49ers. This makes me wonder if he is aware of the English tradition for owners to sack managers.

Khan laughs, saying: "Who am I to question traditions?" But then almost instantly he becomes very serious about the prospects of Martin Jol.

"You do not want to go out of the frying pan into the fire. Martin is our manager. I have faith in Martin. He has got the team he wanted. [In the summer] Martin said we need to sign six guys and amazingly we signed every one of them. He has got to have the time and energy to put them together to play their best. We have a great team, great players, they have to coalesce. But the potential is there."

Making a point: Pajtim Kasami celebrates scoring a cracker for Fulham at Crystal Palace

Last night, Jol's team went some way to justifying this potential at Selhurst Park, coming from behind to win 4-1. For Khan, "thrilled" by the result, this reinforces his desire to help his manager as much as possible. Despite Rene Meulensteen, the former Manchester United coach, turning down the offer to be Jol's deputy — preferring Qatar to Craven Cottage — Khan says: "Martin would like to have some additional staff. We want to support Martin and empower him to do the best."

However, when I ask if this means Jol, whose contract ends next summer, will still be in charge next season, Khan's response is more guarded. "Right now we have something much more important which is we've got a lot of games to play." It soon becomes clear that Jol's future may well depend on where Fulham finish. The club were 12th last season and Khan says: "We want to do better. That is the aspiration and I don't think that is ambitious. Last night's victory has taken us to 14th."

But for fans who think the 122nd richest man in America will open his cheque book every time the club are in trouble, Khan's message is very clear. "Throwing money on the fire," he says with a laugh, "is normally not the solution to every problem. You put the fire out by listening to the people who are smarter than you are."

Whatever advice Khan receives, one thing is clear. He will not make Mohamed Fayed-style grandiose promises that Fulham will become the Manchester United of the south.

"My ambition is that Fulham should be firmly established in the Premier League, to be sustained [financially] so they are not depending upon the generosity of a Mr Fayed. He put in a lot of money. We will do some development of the hospitality, premier seating, to get more money to invest in the club."

This has already meant major changes in the way the club are run. "We have people from NFL and Jacksonville in London working together with Fulham on [commercial] opportunities. It is not the American takeover of Fulham. It is really how to make it better."

NFL: Khan hopes his Jacksonville Jaguars shine on Sunday at Wembley, too

The model has strong echoes of what the Glazers have done with the commercial business of Manchester United and Khan reveals that, before buying Fulham, he consulted his fellow American Premier League club owners: Randy Lerner of Aston Villa, Stan Kroenke of Arsenal and particularly the Glazers. "I spoke to the Glazers. They have done very well. They are very bullish about the Premier League." When I say not all United fans like the Glazers, Khan says: "They are popular with me."

It has been a year-long period of consultation which began when Khan was in London for last season's NFL matches. "I really came here to announce that the Jacksonville Jaguars would play a regular season game in London for the next four years. Then I thought about [buying a Premiership club]. I talked to people. What it came down to was that the only club that would make sense for us was Fulham. It is a club who have similar values to what I am used to. I can help as chairperson and Fulham can help our NFL effort. Collectively these synergies will help everybody."

And while he did not see any football while growing up in Pakistan he denies that buying Fulham was just a business deal. "It was a love of the game that brought me to Fulham. I lived next to a football stadium on the campus of the University of Illinois. So I got into it."

He admits sport is a business but says: "It is also an emotion. You balance sport and business by having a sustainable model for a club and by winning. Because winning makes people feel better.

"I have been surprised by the intensity of football in this country. You only have to go through the papers."

Despite this, unlike other American owners who rarely talk to the media, Khan intends to be accessible, saying: "The British press isn't going to bite."

Then he laughs again, as if to suggest he does not quite believe that, and wonders what might happen if, instead of migrating to the US, he had come to this country. "Would I have been a Fulham supporter? Who knows?"

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/interviews/i-wont-throw-money-on-the-fire---fulham-owner-shad-khan-on-his-strategy-for-growth-8896306.html

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland doubtful for Fulham

Fulham captain Brede Hangeland has emerged as an injury doubt for the team's trip to Southampton in the Premier League on Saturday.

The Norwegian defender was forced off during Monday's 4-1 win over Crystal Palace with a nerve problem.

Manager Martin Jol now admits that the centre-back could be sidelined for the Cottagers' next game.

"He is injured," Jol told reporters. "He's got a nerve that caused him problems.

"He played two games for Norway so I thought he was 100% but at half time we had to take him off.

"It's a sciatic nerve from his Achilles. I'm not a doctor but a nerve can cause you problems."

Monday's victory over Palace saw Fulham climb up to 14th place in the Premier League table.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/hangeland-doubtful-for-fulham_112839.html

WhiteJC

Smiling Again

Darren Bent had found himself on the football periphery. Thankfully, though, the striker is smiling again.

And whilst that very thought will fill Premier League defences with trepidation, it's undoubtedly good news for Fulham – for, at the time of writing, the striker had hit three goals in eight appearances for the Club.

At Aston Villa he started just eight games in the league last term. But a player of Bent's repute needs to be playing. Martin Jol knew all about the player, from their time at Tottenham Hotspur, and moved quickly to sign him on loan.

"There were times last season where I felt lost," admitted Darren to Fultime magazine. "But I've got that spring in my step and a smile on my face again and it feels great. I have a lot of respect for Aston Villa as a club and for their fans, but last season was very, very difficult for me. Without any real explanation, I lost the captain's armband and the number nine shirt. There were even times when I wasn't even in the squad and for long spells I was training with the reserves.

"I just got my head down, though, alongside the other players that were in a similar position. We were in with the kids, and it was important that we set a good example to them; to train hard and to keep in good shape.

"I've come in on loan, and even though, technically, I'm still a Villa player, Fulham is my priority this season. I'm determined to do well for the Club and repay the faith that was shown in me."

Unwavering in his desire to make up for lost time, Bent has an extraordinary way of maintaining a positive spirit despite the frustrations he has had to absorb. He might not have played as much as he would have liked but, make no mistake, the sure touch in front of goal remains.

"It's been a good start for me," he added. "There were a few options over the summer, but Fulham was the most appealing. I liked the way that the Club was run, it has a good structure.

"I can see where the Club wants to be and I believe in that direction – I want to be part of that. There are some strong foundations in place here and I admire that ambition. There's more to come from me personally, but at first, it's really been about playing matches and being part of a team again. I didn't play any real football over the summer months, so I'm still working on my sharpness.

"But the more I play, the stronger I'll become. I need to get back into the rhythm of playing matches, every striker will tell you how important that is. I've said before, I wasn't hungry to play again, I was absolutely starving! I know the Manager targeted more goals this season, and hopefully I can help with that."

To read the full version of Darren's insightful interview, as well as in-depth discussion from Shahid Khan, Martin Jol, Giorgos Karagounis, Adel Taarabt, Luis Boa Morte, Tony Gale and Josh Pritchard, be sure to pick up your copy of Issue 42 of Fultime magazine.

The traditional printed version of Fultime is sent to all our Season Ticket Holders for free, while the digital edition – with added video content – now goes to our Members.

For non-Season Ticket Holders and non-Members, Fultime is also available to buy instore or online for £3.50. It can also be downloaded as an App from Thursday. Priced £2.49, the App is available via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/22/bent-fultime-plug?

WhiteJC

Fulham: an aging squad, a lack of tangible ambition, and the need to refine the recruitment process

I'd planned to write this article before Fulham won last night, and so while I'm likely to claim that the Palace result doesn't have much of a 'bigger picture' impact, I do genuinely believe that.

I wrote earlier in the season about Fulham's general attitude and the levels of desire and determination within their first-team squad, and it's still very troubling. if Pajtim Kasami hadn't scored his outrageous goal last night – out of nothing – would this side have been able to galvanise itself into recovering being a goal down?

Who knows.

A lot is made of the average age of the Fulham squad, and the subsequent mentality of a lot of their players is a major issue. When I look at this side, I see a lack of hunger – especially away from home – and that's largely because there are so many members in the squad who see Craven Cottage as the perfect venue to run the clock down on their career.

Maybe that's a harsh truth, but I don't think it's unfair; what does Dimitar Berbatov seek to achieve at the club, or how about Kieran Richardson, Damien Duff, Derek Boateng, Darren Bent, or Philippe Senderos? No, those players aren't just picking up their cheques every week, but how much ambition do they really have to take this football club beyond its current level? There's nothing wrong with older players per se, but when you have a large collection of professionals in their late twenties and early thirties, that can foster a collective apathy – with the exception of Kasami, none of the players who started for Fulham last night are going to get any better than they currently are, hence they settle for just picking-up enough points to stay in the Premier League every year and not much else. These individuals have had their best days, and they understand that, hence they no longer harbour any aspiration for the level above the one that they currently exist at.

Retaining their place in this division is obviously crucial to Fulham, and so I understand the need to field a side of developed players who are capable of putting 45-to-55 points on the table every year, but that mentality has to be tempered with more ambition and the mature part of the squad could still be complemented with some hunger and excitement.

Beyond just the on-pitch performance, isn't there also a very real danger that within the next two or three seasons, the club are going to have to replace up to 90% of their first-team, and do so without the benefit of recouping any kind of funds from the sale of existing squad-members – players near and beyond their thirtieth birthday have no sell-on value and that perspective really emphasises how short-term Fulham's recruitment model is.

If I'm Shahid Khan, I would be encouraging my manager and technical staff to limit their search area to players under the age of twenty-five; not only because of the financial implications, but because I would want to see a maturing team on the pitch rather than just which seems to be in continuous decline. Is it better to have Darren Bent on the payroll, for example, or would his salary be better spent on a player climbing the up-slope of his career? Yes there's a risk involved in that strategy, but that's how a club of Fulham's size makes progress: by speculating.

Keep the experienced spine, of course, but add some flourishes and potential alongside it; ask Blackpool to quote for Thomas Ince, or take advantage of the London post-code and pursue the European talent which doesn't appear on the radar of the bigger local clubs.

It's non-specific and very generalised, admittedly, but isn't that a healthier direction to be taking in every sense?

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/fulham-an-aging-squad-a-lack-of-tangible-ambition-and-the-need-to-refine-the-recruitment-process/

WhiteJC

Palace 1 Fulham 4

Boy, did we need that!

Down at Selhurst Park, last night, Fulham overcame going a goal behind to emerge comfortable winners in a match that showed that Palace are more of a potential relegation candidate than we are.

Fulham didn`t get off to the best of starts going a goal behind after just seven minutes when Mariappa rose to power a header past Stekelenburg,

But twelve minutes later, Fulham were level with a goal that will be talked about for years. A flowing move ended in a diagonal ball to Kasami and the Swiss youngster not only controlled it on his chest but unleashed a volley that flew past Speroni in the Palace goal. Will the youngster score a better goal in his career?

As half time approached, Fulham edged ahead when following the award of a free kick, taken by Ruiz, Sidwell smashed home the rebound off of the wall.

If Crystal Palace had ideas of getting back into the game early in the second half, those wishes were blown away in the space of ten minutes. Five minutes into the half Speroni parried a shot from Bent around the post, from the resulting corner Berbatov out-jumped the home defence to head home, making it 3-1.

Minutes later the game was wrapped when following another corner from Ruiz, Senderos was on hand to power the ball home sending the travelling support wild with delight.

Wouldn`t it be wonderful to have more away days like this one!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336232#ixzz2iVxWb6m5

WhiteJC

Jol`s After Match Thoughts - Palace (a)

No wonder Martin Jol looked happy last night in his post-match interview.

It was common knowledge that Fulham needed a win, to head up the table and escape the clutches of the relegation places, but to thrash Crystal Palace 4-1 would have been something far from his mind.

Jol, speaking to the media, had this to say about the performance,

"It was unbelievably important to get a result and for them it was a game of importance, too. We needed the three points and are in a better position now."

"I played Berbatov, Bent, Ruiz and Kasami at the same time and people knew before the season it would be difficult to do that."

"But good players should play together and I was happy it came off. It`s one of the best results in recent years. The owner is a happy man too."

I bet Mr Khan is a happy man, arriving in London to see his Jacksonville Cougars at Wembley this weekend and with rumours about Jol`s position not being as safe as many might think, this demolition would have sent Mr Khan away from South London with a beaming smile on his face.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336233#ixzz2iVxgrSSR

WhiteJC

That Wonder Goal

It`s a goal that Kasami will dine on for many a year.

It was a goal that many Fulham supporters will recall as one of the best they`ve seen, but what did the manager and the scorer make of that wonderful finish to a flowing move?

First up, Martin Jol with the Dutchman remarking to reporters after the final whistle,

"Kasami`s goal was even better than Marco Van Basten. I don`t want to say too much because they will think back home in Holland I`m criticizing Van Basten but this came out of nothing."

"Van Basten was probably one of the best volleyers in history, but this was after a sprint and from the wrong foot in the wrong corner."

And secondly, as for the scorer himself,

"I don`t think I`ve scored a better goal, it was unbelievable."

"It fell perfectly to my chest and I took it direct on my right foot."

My only fear is that the goal will not be the winner of the 'goal of the month` competition purely because it was scored by an unfashionable club!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336234#ixzz2iVxqKPUw

WhiteJC

Nine Years!

Forgive me if I`ve gone into overload following our remarkable 4-1 win down at Selhurst Park last night, but such a win is a rarity!

The record books show that the last time we scored four goals away from home wasn`t too far short of a decade ago with the occasion being an away game at Newcastle, way back in 2004 when, ironically, we also won 4-1.

I hope we don`t have to wait another nine years or so for it to happen again!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336235#ixzz2iVy1aOy1

WhiteJC

Kasami plays down wondergoal after Fulham heroics... but what do we know about the £5m midfielder who was on loan at Liverpool, nearly sold last season but for WiFi issues, and fined for missing a penalty?

Pajtim Kasami insists it is up to YOU to decide if his wonder volley on Monday night is better than Jack Wilshere's scintiallting passing move.

But he believes neither of them are anywhere near as good as Zinedine Zidane's volley against Bayer Leverkusen in the 2002 Champions League final.

The football world went mad when Kasami ran on to Sacha Riether's 40-yard pass, controlled the ball on his chest while running into the right corner of the box before burying a looping volley over Julian Speroni in Crystal Palace's net.
VIDEO Scroll down to see Pajtim Kasami's superstrike below

Once in a lifetime: Kasami's strike was so good it drew comparison's to Zidane's iconic volley in the 2002 Champions League final

Wilshere tweeted straight away: 'Well there's my 'goal of the month' prize gone!!!! Take a bow!' After the match Fulham boss Martin Jol then declared it to be better than Marco Van Basten's famous strike.

Kasami said: 'I will let the people decide. Thanks to Wilshere that he said that. His goal was also very nice. ' But were either of them the best ever? 'No,' he replied, 'Zidane in the Champions League final against Bayer Leverkusen. That was the best goal ever.'

Team-mate Scott Parker has joined in the praise, and also paid tribute to fellow midfielder Steve Sidwell whose viscously dipping first-time volley from the edge of the box just before half-time was virtually forgotten about in all the furore.

'The first was an absolute screamer and Siddy's one was out of the top drawer,' Parker said. 'I don't know where Kasami pulled that out from. It's his first touch that amazes me as he's come in so quick to bring the ball down on his chest. To hit it like that was special.'

But he couldn't call between Kasami or Wilshere either, adding: 'I wouldn't like to judge it to be fair. They're both world class goals.'

PAJTIM KASAMI: THE STORY SO FAR

Who is Pajtim Kasami and how long has he been at Fulham?
Kasami joined Fulham in 2011 from Italian side Palermo. He cost £5million and manager Martin Jol described him as one of the best young players in Europe after he impressed for Switzerland at the U21 Championships that summer.

Is this the first time he has played in England?
No, despite signing for Fulham when he was 19, Kasami could have played for Liverpool after joining the Anfield club on loan from Grasshoppers when he was 16. He played a handful of games for the Reds under Hughie McAuley in the FA Youth Cup, but he was not kept on and signed for Lazio instead.

If he signed for Fulham in 2011 why are we only just hearing about him now?
Kasami did make 17 appearances for Fulham in his first season but they were largely from the bench. He found it hard to get a regular look in with a settled midfield of Danny Murphy, Steve Sidwell, Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey. A lack of opportunities last season saw the young midfielder on the brink of a move to Italian side Pescara, but the move collapsed at the end of the January transfer window when his international clearance papers did not arrive on time when the WiFi in a Milan hotel failed and the move broke down. He went on-loan to Swiss side Luzern on-loan for the second half of last season.

What sort of player is he?
He is an attacking midfielder who is comfortable on the ball and likes to get forward. Despite hitting his spectacular volley with his right foot – Kasami is actually left footed. He can play anywhere across the midfield and is comfortable with the ball at his feet and likes to run at players and take them on. And he certainly does not lack confidence. In his first season at Craven Cottage he stepped up to take a penalty in a League Cup game away at Chelsea – despite not being the designated penalty taker. He missed the spot kick and was subsequently fined £500 by Martin Jol.

He scored a wonder goal against Crystal Palace - has he done that sort of thing before?
Well not for Fulham he hasn't. His only goal before that came on the opening day of the season in the 1-0 win away at Sunderland. And while just as important, it was not as spectacular. It was a header at the far post from a corner.

Has he played international football and who for?
Despite being born in born in Macedonia to an Albanian family, Kasami qualifies to play for Switzerland. He has played for Switzerland at Under 17 and Under 21 level and last week made his debut for the national side as a 71st-minute substitute in their 1-0 victory over Slovenia.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2471512/Kasami-plays-wondergoal-Fulham-heroics-know-5m-midfielder-loan-Liverpool-nearly-sold-season-WiFi-issues-fined-missing-penalty.html#ixzz2iVyLtEXA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Keep Calm: Thoughts on Fulham's 4-1 Thumping of Crystal Palace

Fulham defeated Crystal Palace Monday night on the backs of two wonder strikes by Pajtim Kasami and Steve Sidwell, but is all suddenly right on the banks of the Thames? Why the 4-1 win is cause for cautious optimism.

What sweet succor was Monday night! A 4-1 victory away from home? Not one but two thunderstrikes anointed by Thor himself? A flippin' flying side volley from Philippe "Concrete Boots" Senderos? Philippe Senderos?! Hang on. I need a moment.

Where were we? Ah yes, Monday night. For the first time all season, Fulham supporters were given cause to wallow in unabashed joy rather than the high tension frustration to which they've become accustomed. For once, the side look fluid, confident, positive, and, dare I say, incisive.

Pajtim Kasami, he of the absurdly strong "weak foot goal", played the sort of match you pray for from young, unpolished talent - industrious, audacious, and fearless. Steve Sidwell, who surely must have blacked out mid volley to have allowed such artistry to flow through him, put in a vintage box-to-box performance winning 7 of 8 tackles and completing 37 of 40 passes. Dimitar Berbatov, so lethargic, insouciant, and sluggardly in the matches heretofore, has convinced me he is in fact a vampire. From his applause and encouragement to Kieran Richardson in the opening moments of the match to his industrious work defending from the front and his often times urgent approach play, Berbatov was a changed man under the floodlights at Selhurst Park. Night falls and the beast feeds!

Supporter reaction on social media reflected as much, with sudden sincere support for Martin Jol making the rounds and the massive depressive sentiments of the last two months being replaced by the manic optimism of the moment.

Herein lies a caveat.

As delicious as Monday night was, sobriety should characterize any Tuesday morning assessment. Have fun, just don't have amnesia. Crystal Palace entered the match one of only three sides below Fulham in the table and had the second worst goal differential in the Premier League even before last night's 4-1 drubbing. It would not be unkind to suggest that Ian Holloway sides are not marked by their miserly defenses or suffocation of space in the middle third of the pitch. Until Pajtim Kasami's glorious and divine strike at the end of Sacha Reither's equally sublime ball, Fulham were reading from the same script they've read from since last January - possession without penetration, no outlet up the pitch to stretch the opposing defense, poor set piece defending, and geologic build up play. Brede Hangeland, our captain and formerly unassailable defensive stalwart, was having a howler.

Even after Sidwell's back breaking screamer, the facts of the match suggest Fulham are still very unassured Premier League status come the end of the campaign. Crystal Palace managed 14 attempts at goal to Fulham's 9 and completed and attempted more passes in the attacking third. They completed and attempted more crosses and also ceded less territory. Fulham were 4-1 up with with well over ten minutes left to play and rather than bring on Giorgos Karagounis or Derek Boateng to kill the match and shore up what was becoming an increasingly open midfield, Martin Jol chose instead to bring on a winger and it could be said Palace were unlucky not to have found the back of the net again.

One narrative of the match could read that save for two black swan strikes and a poor clearance from Julian Speroni that lead to Berbatov's goal on the ensuing corner, Palace were very much in the game.

I'm not suggesting that everything is still doom and gloom for Fulham, nor am I trying to take anything away from a match that may very well become a catalyst for dragging the club out of the stupor of the past several months. The emperor is not naked, he's just not sporting anything from Savile Row.  My issue is that the sample size is entirely too small to draw any substantive conclusions.

Opta's player influence maps show Berbatov finally making his mark higher up the center of the pitch, no doubt in part because of Darren Bent's thankless occupation of the Palace centerbacks. The statistics suggest the faintest blossoming of a partnership between Bent and Berbatov with the Bulgarian finding Bent 4 of 4 times in the Palace half, a result of him finally playing closer to the England big man. Kasami and Bryan Ruiz were able to come infield to collect the ball and create, facilitating Berbatov's aforementioned more attacking positioning. Width was provided largely by Richardson and Reither, which served to give Fulham more shape and support in the middle of the park.

It was an encouraging pattern of play, but for now last night's win was as unexpected and rare as Kasami's belter. Fulham's next three matches are Southampton (A), Manchester United (H), and Liverpool (A). Keep calm.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/10/22/4865714/keep-calm-thoughts-on-fulhams-4-1-thumping-of-crystal-palace?

WhiteJC

Five things we learned from Crystal Palace vs Fulham

FFT's Andrew Murray was in the Selhurst Park press box to analyse Fulham's 4-1 win - with help from Stats Zone...
1) Palace's opening exchanges were encouraging
The first 10 minutes at Selhurst Park proved that stats don't always tell the whole story. Fulham had 81% possession but did very little with it, Martin Jol's men too content to play sideways passes that did little to threaten the Palace back four. Darren Bent was a passenger in those opening exchanges, only taking the kick-off and losing one aerial duel.

Despite completing 15 passes to Fulham's 65 in the opening 10 minutes, Palace were the more direct and dangerous. Tricky left-winger Yannick Bolasie stoked the Eagles' main fire of the evening, if you exclude the errant smoke alarm that forced Fulham owner Shahid Khan, among others, from the executive boxes in the Whitehorse Lane end for 10 minutes of the first half.

Credit should also go to Adrian Mariappa for out-jumping Brede Hangeland – to whom he concedes more than eight inches in height – for Palace's seventh-minute opener, but that was as good as it got for the home side.

2) Campana suffered defensive malaise
Impressive 10 days ago at Anfield, Palace's young Spaniard Jose Campana was overrun on Monday night. Neat enough in possession, it was defensively that the midfield creator struggled, contributing a solitary foul – no tackles, interceptions or headers – to the Eagles' rearguard in 45 minutes of action.

The talent's there, but without the ball, Holloway's men were effectively playing with 10 men. Mile Jedinak can't do all the midfield donkey work alone.

3) Kasami's wonder-goal inspired his team
The Selhurst Park press box is nestled in the corner of this tightly packed, old-school ground, just above the players' tunnel. And there was no better place from which to admire in bewildered awe the pure quality of Patjim Kasami's chest control and running right-foot volley into the far corner. As soon as the ball left the Swiss midfielder's weaker side (it gets better, doesn't it?), Palace keeper Julian Speroni had no chance.

His fellow Cottagers were clearly taking notes. The Macedonian-born 21-year-old's 18th-minute wonder strike – which boss Martin Jol said was better than Marco van Basten's famous volley against the Soviet Union in the Euro '88 final – was Fulham's first shot on goal. Thereafter, Jol's men hit five from eight shots on target, scoring three times.

After a slow start to the season, Fulham's campaign had its kickstart.

4) Sidwell's metamorphosis was a bit good
Kasami's wasn't the night's only meaty volley. Steve Sidwell's continued improvement from the footballer shell Fulham signed from Aston Villa in January 2011 was confirmed with the boyhood Palace fan's own perfectly-executed long-distance finish just before half-time.

Watch it again and look at the Arsenal trainee's standing leg. He's up on his tip-toes, Rudolf Nureyev-style, ready to adjust his body position should the falling deflection from Bryan Ruiz's free-kick not react as expected. Again, Speroni can only wave it into his net.

Brought up down the road in Croydon, the flame-haired 30-year-old completed 37 of 40 attempted passes – including an impressive five from five in the final third – and won seven from eight tackles in a complete midfield display.

That volley, though, was the highlight.

5) Ruiz needs to contribute more
Yes, Bryan Ruiz got two corner assists against Palace and it was from his free-kick – struck into the wall – that the ball fell to Sidwell to volley home Fulham's second, but the slippery Costa Rican was up to his fitful old tricks for much of the 90 minutes.

Playing from the right-wing position from which he had such Eredivisie success with Twente, Ruiz was rarely involved in what was an especially creative team selection from Jol: none of Ruiz, Kasami or Dimitar Berbatov lose much sleep over defending. One blocked shot, a handful of final-third passes and some admittedly well-delivered corners do not a top-class Premier League creator make.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/five-things-we-learned-crystal-palace-vs-fulham#lIIXGliSMufX6H0O.99

WhiteJC

Fulham safety cynics shouldn't yet be put off 4/1 relegation odds
A win against a relegation-fodder Palace side does not a springtime survival make.

Martin Jol may have let a sigh of relief slip quietly through his Cheshire cat grin in the aftermath of Fulham's 4-1 victory romp at Selhurst Park, but there are reasons to regard those three points as only so many more emperor's new clothes.

The Cottagers got four points from the 2012/13 renewals of their next nine games last term.

Fulham face trips to Southampton, Liverpool, West Ham and Everton and home matches against Swansea, Tottenham, Aston Villa and Man City before they next meet a team in the current bottom five.

Martin Jol's side have picked up nine of the ten points they have on the board from current occupiers of rungs 15-20 on the Premier League ladder.

They won't play Norwich until Boxing Day, suggesting there could be a lean autumn and festive period in store.

Crystal Palace have now lost eight of their nine games in all competitions in 2013/14.

A Patjim Kasami worldie and a Steve Sidwell corker that was only prosaic by comparison to their equaliser sent Fulham in 2-1 up, but strikes like those aren't exactly ten-a-penny.

Their win against a clueless Eagles side was then burnished by goals from set pieces defended woefully by their hosts.

If not for the two wonder-strikes the game could have had a very different complexion as a Palace side already well versed in defeat were forced to take the game to their visitors.

Four points separate places 8-18 in the Premier League after nine games.

Sunderland and Palace (who have afforded Fulham six of their 10 points) are the only teams already adrift in the division, meaning that the third relegation place could be filled by any one of several teams.

The oft-repeated mantra of relegation threatened clubs, that there are "at least three teams worse than us", is far from obviously true in the case of the Cottagers.

Top bet: Fulham to be relegated @ 4/1

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/fulham-safety-cynics-shouldnt-put-41-relegation-odds,46928.html?#sthash.gqOOMKpz.dpuf

WhiteJC

Win Kasami's Signed Shirt!

Whites fans shopping at the online store have the chance to take home Pajtim Kasami's signed 2013/14 adidas Replica Home Shirt.*

After a spectacular performance on the road on Monday night, the man of the hour has signed his long sleeved Home Shirt (pictured) and one lucky winner will be selected at random to take it home!

All you need to do is make a purchase from the online store any time from now until midnight on Wednesday to be automatically entered into the draw. And there couldn't be a better time to get shopping from our new season collections, as we're currently offering a generous 15% saving on all retail products instore and online!

Shop online now to be in with a chance of getting your hands on Kasami's shirt.

*One prize available. Long sleeve adult 2013/14 adidas Replica Home Shirt, size Large, signed by Pajtim Kasami. All supporters making a purchase from the online store between 5.30pm Tuesday 22nd October until midnight Wednesday 23rd October will be entered into the draw. Winner will be selected at random from all purchasers.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/22/win-kasami-signed-shirt?

WhiteJC

Create The Buzz For Fulham

If results go our way on Saturday we could find ourselves second in the Premier league if we beat Fulham in the evening kick off, there should be a buzz going round about this game, but there isn't ! Yet !

If Saints beat Fulham they cant catch Arsenal, whatever the Gunners result against Palace at Selhurst Park, but they could leapfrog Liverpool into second if the Anfield team lose at home to West Brom, the chances of that happening aren't great, but even if the Reds get a win, Saints would still sit in the heady heights of third on Saturday night if they despatch the Cottagers.

Chelsea are hosting Man City on Sunday with Spurs playing Hull so our sojourn in the top three probably would only last a day, but we would still be guaranteed fifth place and that would be a hell of an achievement whatever way you look at it.

So why are there seats available for the visit of Fulham on Saturday, OK its a 5.15 kick off and a Sky game buts that's no excuse, in fact its a chance for a lot of the people who play on a Saturday to watch the team so in fact the potential for a big crowd increase not the other way round.

Put bluntly and I know I have said this many times before, how much more do some Saints supporters want from this side before they put their hands in their pockets, only 1 defeat in 8 games, conceding only 3 goals and 6th in the league, not to mention a draw at Old Trafford and this the chance to make it three in a row at home.

Saints supporters need to create the buzz, forward this on to their friends, encourage people to buy tickets and go I want to see us third and the more that are there to roar us on to do it the better, there has been much said this week about how Nicola Cortese has built this club in the past four years, now the supporters have to show that they want it just as badly, how must the Chairman fell when he thinks of the money he has invested in the team, how well its done, but then sees a few thousand empty seats, at this rate the average crowd is going to go down from last year and that's wrong.

Today on the message board I have had accusations of negativity thrown at me because I have suggested things about our performance at Manchester united etc, so now im going to be positive, lets fill St Mary's on Saturday, lets encourage all our Saints supporting mates who cant be bothered going at this point to think again and get along and support the team.

So if you are reading this through Facebook or Twitter, forward it on to every Saints fan you know, create your own posts on social network, lets all be pro active and help get those seats filled.

Let me say this again "Saints can go third in the league if they beat Fulham guaranteed" how much more encouragement do people need !

- See more at: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/33142/?#sthash.bUGo3hIq.dpuf

WhiteJC

Fulham: Dominant Victory Over Crystal Palace Proves Cottagers Are Rejuvenated

Fulham suffered a slow start to the Premier League season having only picked up 4 points from a possible 18 before their game against fellow league strugglers Stoke City.

Martin Jol was said to be under pressure from fans of the Lilywhites after some poor results against the likes of Cardiff, West Brom and Newcastle.

However Fulham seem to have found a new lease of life and have demonstrated this with back to back wins over Stoke City and Crystal Palace and there is one reason why I believe that Fulham's season is back on track and that is the return of goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg.

The Dutch international goalkeeper returned for the game at Selhurst Park against Crystal Palace and Fulham subsequently went on to win 4-1. While he may have conceded against Palace there are no doubts in my mind that he brings something a lot more valuable to the team than just his goal stopping ability and that is confidence.

This is the same goalkeeper who helped the Netherlands reach the World Cup final in 2010 conceding only 6 goals in 7 games and going up against the likes of Brazil, Uruguay and Spain, with the latter taking 116 minutes to put one past Stekelenburg.

Stekelenburg shares a similar club route to that of legendary Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar. They both started life at Ajax making a similar amount of appearances for the Amsterdam club. They then both moved to Serie A to experience a bit of Italian football with van der Sar heading to Juventus and Stekelenburg going to Roma. The two Dutch shot stoppers then took the same career move albeit 12 years apart by joining Fulham, van der Sar in 2001 and Stekelenburg in 2013.

Just imagine what the Fulham defence must think when they know he is back and know what he is capable of. Surely there must be an air of trust and confidence knowing he is behind them?

It is quality goalkeepers like him that can be the difference between zero and three points and with the attacking talent at their disposal Fulham should be able to build on their two wins starting with a trip to St. Mary's to face an in form Southampton side.

Should Stekelenburg be able to remain injury free I predict that this Fulham side will finish comfortably in the middle of the table.

Read more at http://whatculture.com/sport/fulham-dominant-victory-crystal-palace-proves-cottagers-rejuvenated.php#PerqTPoUSY2x4LYb.99