more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (25/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 25, 2013, 06:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Adel's best days here are gone – Warnock

Former QPR manager Neil Warnock believes Adel Taarabt's best days in England are behind him.

Taarabt has so far failed to make a real impact since moving on a season-long loan to Fulham in the wake of Rangers' relegation from the Premier League.

He was keen to move on and had fallen out of  favour under current R's boss Harry Redknapp, who previously allowed him to leave Tottenham.

And although Warnock does not believe the door has been shut on the Moroccan returning to Loftus Road, he feels managers in this country will struggle to get the best out of him.

Warnock said: "I'd never say never. Adel was and still does remain a fans favourite at QPR.

"But I don't think he'll ever have another season like the one he had with me though, and that's no disrespect to Harry or any other manager.

"I just can't see another manager in England having a go with him for 12 months."

Taarabt, 24, produced the best football of his career under Warnock, netting 19 times as QPR clinched promotion to the top flight in 2011.

And Warnock says getting the best out of the maverick playmaker is the finest achievement of his managerial career.

"For me it's my biggest achievement as a manager – no-one else could manage him," he said.

"People talk about the trouble he caused and all this, but he repaid me and gave me the best year of my career. It's always the so-called bad ones who win you games isn't it?

"I love to know that he'll always remember me managing him. It's very difficult to manage Adel and to get the best out of him.

"That's probably why Harry is glad he's gone to Fulham, so then there's no chance of a problem.

"I can't see him featuring regularly for Fulham if I'm honest, but we'll have to see."

Warnock and Taarabt had a rocky relationship during their time together in west London.

But the former Sheffield United boss insists they have stayed on good terms.

"I last spoke to Adel about three weeks ago and it was like we were both still at QPR," he said.

"I treat him like my lad. I loved him to bits and still do. He gave me some of the best moments of my career.

"That's why when we get together we're still very close and he still calls me 'gaffer'. I think that shows the kind of relationship we have."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/neil-warnock-on-adel-taarabt-47743-html?

WhiteJC

Barry Hayles column: Pressure has eased on Fulham boss

Former Whites  striker tells Lewis Deakin that wins against Stoke and Crystal Palace have given Jol more time at the Cottage

I think the victories against Stoke City and Crystal Palace have eased the pressure on manager Martin Jol.

The criticism against Martin was unfair anyway - it is far too early to think about putting someone else in charge. Fulham need time it takes months not minutes to get all the new players settled in as a unit. Martin will identify the new-boys strengths and weaknesses.

Six points will have made Craven Cottage a more enjoyable place to be around. Fulham can now go into their next game against Southampton full of confidence. Back-to-back wins will give the players the belief to create momentum.

Meanwhile, season ticket prices across the Premier League continue to rise. Clubs make the decision to raise prices, it is nothing to do with players. But I believe supporters who really love football will always turn up to watch a game regardless of cost.

Manchester United vs Fulham looks like an exciting prospect on November 2nd, but because I'm still playing football - I'm more likely to be at Craven Cottage for a Super Sunday game.

Every player at Fulham goes out and gives 100 per cent for the team no matter what their opinions are of the manager. Even footballers with other clubs interested in them will do their best to attract the best possible deal.

I think the victories against Stoke City and Crystal Palace have eased the pressure on manager Martin Jol.

The criticism against Martin was unfair anyway - it is far too early to think about putting someone else in charge. Fulham need time it takes months not minutes to get all the new players settled in as a unit. Martin will identify the new-boys strengths and weaknesses.

Six points will have made Craven Cottage a more enjoyable place to be around. Fulham can now go into their next game against Southampton full of confidence. Back-to-back wins will give the players the belief to create momentum.

Meanwhile, season ticket prices across the Premier League continue to rise. Clubs make the decision to raise prices, it is nothing to do with players. But I believe supporters who really love football will always turn up to watch a game regardless of cost.

Manchester United vs Fulham looks like an exciting prospect on November 2nd, but because I'm still playing football - I'm more likely to be at Craven Cottage for a Super Sunday game.

Every player at Fulham goes out and gives 100 per cent for the team no matter what their opinions are of the manager. Even footballers with other clubs interested in them will do their best to attract the best possible deal.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-hayles-column-pressure-eased-6234954?

WhiteJC

Southampton's new steeliness makes win to nil over Fulham a bet
Southampton have only let in three Premier League goals in eight games so far

The turnaround in Southampton's defensive fortunes since this time last season is nothing short of miraculous. So as Fulham arrive on the south coast, backing Mauricio Pochettino's soaring Saints to overcome the Cottagers without conceding, could well be a profitable move.

As Southampton get their moment in front of the Sky cameras in this evening kick-off, they do so boasting the meanest defence in the Premier League.

In eight top-flight games to date, just three goals have found their way past Artur Boruc in the Saints' onion bag, which is two fewer than the next best; Chelsea and Tottenham.

Furthermore, only one of those goals have arrived at St.Mary's in four outings, as the evidence stacks up for backing the hosts to win to nil at 31/20 or even the Saints' clean sheet at 11/10.

Despite Fulham having turned somewhat of a corner with successive wins in the league, their most recent wonder-goal inspired win at Crystal Palace, represented only the Cottagers' second away-points haul of the season – which have both come against the bottom two sides.

When faced with tougher opposition away from home in the league this season, Marton Jol's side have surrendered the points without scoring on both occasions, at Stamford Bridge and St James' Park.

Meanwhile, sixth-placed Southampton's transition from the Premier League's most porous defence after eight games last season – where they had conceded a top-flight record of 24 goals – to the squeakiest, is huge credit to Pochettino, with new Croatian international centre-back Dejan Lovren performing particularly impressively.

This fixture is also one where punters ought to have a dabble in the potentially lucrative correct score market.

Saints' have won their last two home league games 2-0, while they haven't scored more than two in the league thus far, so the 27/10 on the 1-0/2-0 coupled correct score market appeals greatly also.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/southamptons-new-steeliness-makes-win-to-nil-over-fulham-a-bet_175680.html

WhiteJC

Are Fulham capable of greater heights or mid-table material?

Darren Ash wonders whether Fulham can reassert themselves as a quality outfit after a comprehensive victory against Cyrtal Palace lifted the pressure on Martin Jol.

As Shahid Khan's takeover of Fulham was confirmed there was a genuine air of uncertainty amongst the fans of the West London club.

Many were concerned that, like the statue of Michael Jackson that had been installed by previous owner Mohamed Al-Fayed, the foundations that manager Martin Jol had laid out could be torn down.

The former Tottenham boss had managed to keep Fulham clear of trouble and was looking to use that as a platform to build upon.

But Jol was clearly not Khan's choice as manager and the new billionaire owner obviously wanted to put his stamp on the team.

However, Jol was granted a stay of execution with fans of the Craven Cottage club hoping to see an improvement in their form.

The signings of Darren Bent, Adel Taarabt and Scott Parker provided renewed optimism, as did the acquisition of goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg – despite losing experienced shot-stopper Mark Schwarzer to local rivals Chelsea.

But the mix of experience and youth, which includes players such as Brede Hangeland and Patjim Kasami gives Fulham a cutting edge that they will need in the Premiership this season, emphasised by their emphatic 4-1 win over Crystal Palace on Monday night.

The encounter at Selhurst Park was met with some very wary predictions – with some fans worried that Palace could spring a surprise.

And the Eagles did go in front, with Adrian Mariappa opening the scoring.

The Fulham boss had been given the dreaded 'vote of confidence' earlier in the week from Khan, but knew his job could well have been on the line had his side not responded.

But the Cottagers did so – and in fantastic fashion. Sascha Riether's floated ball over the top of the defence was taken expertly on the chest by Kasami, before he powered a volley into the far corner over the helpless Julian Speroni.

A spectacular Steve Sidwell volley followed to give Fulham the lead going into half time, and goals from Dimitar Berbatov and Phillipe Senderos rounded the game off for the West Londoners.

It was a victory that showed Fulham have what it takes to finish in a highly respectable position.

And it was also a result that – to some extent – takes the pressure off manager Jol.

The Dutchman will be mightily relieved after securing back-to-back victories and taking Fulham up to 14th – just a point behind heavyweights Manchester United.

And with the likes of Kasami, Berbatov, and Bryan Ruiz firing on all cylinders, finding the gaps that are needed for Fulham to make the breakthrough in games, it could be a turning point in their season.

In Jol they have a wealth of experience on the touchline and it is the same story on the pitch with Senderos, Sidwell and Bent amongst those that can be relied on.

As one of the most underrated sides in the league, Fulham will be hoping to quietly go about their business once more and will – as they seem to always do – look to steer themselves comfortably into a mid-table.

It would be just the tonic for Jol, who is still looking to prove his doubters wrong.

And it is an achievable and realistic aim too for one of England's most traditional clubs.

http://outside90.com/fulham-capable-of-greater-heights-7547/?

WhiteJC

Still room for improvement at Fulham

Fulham FanZoner Andy Lye believes that despite his side's four-goal haul against Crystal Palace, there is still room for much improvement.

For 20 minutes on Monday night it looked like it would be business as usual. Our lacklustre team getting overrun by underdogs who simply wanted it more, typified on nine minutes with a deflected looping cross, Brede Hangeland getting out-jumped by Adrian Mariappa, Maarten Stekelenburg nowhere, and 1-0 down.

It didn't even wake us up for another ten minutes either. Then the game changed completely. Pajtim Kasami's goal was more important than simply bringing us level; it completely ruined Crystal Palace.

"Deflated" would be an understatement. The goal itself was sensational. A true wonder goal, and not in the same sense as goals normally branded with that term, which are often rarely more than a hit-and-hope from distance, that nine times in ten would have been off target.

This was the kind of goal, like Dimitar Berbatov's volley against Stoke last season, where it's hard to imagine any of our players will score a better one, especially given the perfectly weighted pass from Sascha Reither that made the whole move all the sweeter.

The same combination of players who inspired the win against Stoke, tellingly (regardless of the headline-praise for Darren Bent for scoring the actual goal in that game).

After that it was clear Palace were not going to offer much opposition, especially after Steve Sidwell's volley just before half-time - surprisingly not skied into row Z as he normally does - finished them off. But apart from our moments of brilliance on Monday, and it would be unfair to go any further without mentioning Berbatov's header, which was superbly taken, and Calamity Senderos - calamity-free this time - showing excellent reactions to score his scissor kick, was there really much to indicate we've turned a corner as a team?

Bent and Bryan Ruiz were again anonymous for most of the game, the former only really emerging from obscurity to screw up the gilt-edged opportunity Berbatov gave him - it was a great save from Julian Speroni, but he should never have been given the chance to make it - and apart from another impressive all-round performance from Kasami, we created very little going forward. Just two other on-target shots besides the four goals in fact, Bent's miss and Kasami's lovely attempt towards the end brilliantly saved by Speroni.

Ruiz features a lot in the stats and match reports (and will be an unexpected goldmine this week for fantasy league teams) because it was his half-cleared free kick that Sid volleyed in, and it was his corners that Berba and Senderos both scored from, but as is so typical for him he did nothing in between set pieces. Certainly with him being so ineffectual elsewhere, we really missed Alexander Kacaniklic on the wing, whose absence after scoring for Sweden last week was very surprising. Presumably he's picked up a slight injury.

On another day when the Senderos shot gets saved instead of squeezing under the 'keeper, and the wonder-volleys don't go in and don't drain Palace of their confidence, what a different game it would have been.

Other times when we've rolled out winners by a wide margin we've actually looked like scoring a lot, and you feel at the end that had certain things not happened the way they did, it wouldn't have mattered because we were playing so well we'd have found the goals somewhere else0.

That's just not the case this time, and as soon as we play a better team, it's still a bit difficult to see where the creativity and goals are going to come from.

Still, those things did go our way this time, making it a great win, with some great goals, and a very important three points.

We should take some heart from that for a week at least, and just hope that scoring those goals has given a team that looked devoid of any confidence at all against Cardiff (no surprise they're being accused of time-wasting by the way, they did the exact same thing against us from the 12th minute onwards three weeks ago) and just as bad against Stoke even though we nicked that one, the kind of belief we're going to need if we ever want to get anything from the better teams. We've got to hope, because the technical performance itself was less than convincing and our tough run of games coming up could see us not take another point from the next four or five matches.

It will be difficult to blame Jol for not beating Southampton, Man U, Swansea and Liverpool though, so the Palace result has saved his job for at least a month, and it's also saved Shahid Kahn, who was at the game ahead of his Jacksonville Jaguars NFL showpiece at Wembley next weekend, from looking the fool in Tuesday's Google+ "Hangout" video chat with fans. Hopefully it will also put at least a temporary end to the arrogant sideswipes we've had to endure from Jol in interviews for the last month too. I could go the rest of the season happily never again hearing him speak about how lucky we are that he's here, because he doesn't make me feel lucky. Thankfully we've still got one or two players who do.

http://www.teamtalk.com/fanzone/15164/8988641/Still-room-for-improvement-at-Fulham?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Southampton v Fulham (17:30 BST)

Fulham boss Martin Jol was on the verge of getting booted out a couple of weeks ago - now he is a contender for manager of the month.

The Cottagers have won their last two games and I think they will get another positive result against Southampton.

After the start that the Saints have made, their supporters are probably convinced they are definitely going to finish in the top half of the table. The Premier League is not quite as easy as that, though.

After surprising a few teams in the last couple of months, I think Manuel Pochettino's side might get a bit of a shock themselves.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1
Montana's prediction: 4-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24604531

WhiteJC

Fulham to snap up Stoke target

Stoke look set to lose out to Fulham in the race to sign PEC Zwolle's Poland international midfielder Mateusz Klich.

The race to sign the 23-year-old is hotting up after he grabbed the headlines in Holland this weekend by setting up the first four goals in PEC's 6-1 demolition of ADO den Haag, to maintain their unlikely title challenge. Klich, who was signed for £175,000 from Wolfsburg in the summer, was named the Eredivisie player of the week earlier this season and at over 6ft tall is regarded as tailor-made for the Premier League one day. He also impressed after coming on as a half-time substitute at Wembley when Poland gave England a real scare in their World Cup qualifier last week. Fulham, who have a close relationship with Zwolle officials through the Jol family, are leading the chase but face competition from Stoke City who have sent scouts to Klich's matches this season.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/stoke-city/fulham-to-snap-up-stoke-target-1653288.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham duo struggling ahead of Saints trip

Bryan Ruiz will have a fitness test ahead of Fulham's trip to Southampton on Saturday and defender Brede Hangeland is a major doubt.

Ruiz was carrying a back injury during the 4-1 win over Crystal Palace, according to Whites boss Martin Jol, while Hangeland is struggling with sciatic nerve problem.

"We have to test Bryan Ruiz tomorrow – he has a back problem," Jol said.

"We kept him on during the Crystal Palace game and he had to have an injection afterwards. Hopefully it will settle.

"Hangeland has got problem with a nerve in his leg so will probably be out.

"He was injured before and he had a medical check and played two international games.

"I thought 'that was quick' but I asked him if he was fit and he said he was."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/bryan-ruiz-brede-hangeland-struggling-southamptonfc-85773-html?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Martin Jol confirms Maarten Stekelenburg is Fulham's first-choice

Fulham boss Martin Jol has reiterated that Maarten Stekelenburg is the Premier League club's first-choice goalkeeper.

Jol signed Stekelenburg for £4.8m on a four-year deal from Roma in the summer, where he had spent two years after earlier making his name at Ajax.

But the Holland international picked up a shoulder injury in the opening day of the season win at Sunderland and was forced off late in the game.

David Stockdale deputised in his absence but Stekelenburg came back into the side for the latest 4-1 win at Crystal Palace.

Jol told the Fulham & Hammersmith Chronicle: "Maarten came to us and we paid more money for him than for other players, beside Bryan Ruiz a couple of years ago.

"I didn't buy him to be on the bench, you know what I mean?

"He did very well when he started, saved a couple of points against Sunderland.

"Stockdale did well, but Maarten was fit for the last two weeks and showed that he was fit and that he could play again.

"I asked him if he could play and he said 'yes'. I had a little word with Stockdale and of course he isn't pleased but that is the decision I made."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8988800/?

WhiteJC

Fernando Feeling Confident

Fernando Amorebieta believes Fulham will travel to in-form Southampton on Saturday (5.30pm) in a confident frame of mind.

The Whites head to St Mary's after back-to-back wins either side of the international break. But that up-turn in form will be severely tested against a Saints side who have made a fine start to the new campaign, losing just once and conceding only three goals in eight league games to date.

Fulham, though, were in fine fettle on Monday night – romping to a 4-1 win over Crystal Palace, and Amorebieta, a half-time replacement for Brede Hangeland, told the official website: "The team is very happy because they were three points we needed. We were in a difficult situation and these three points have given us peace of mind and we go into the next game eager to continue growing.

"Southampton are a team that does things very well. They've conceded very few goals but hey, I think we're entitled to take confidence from the win against Crystal Palace and go to Southampton full of enthusiasm and a will to win."

Pajtim Kasami hauled Fulham level at Selhurst Park with a goal that will live long in the memory of all who have witnessed it, including Amorebieta, who stated: "I haven't seen many better goals. The truth is, it was a screamer!"

A free transfer signing from Athletic Bilbao in the summer, Amorebieta's appearances for the Whites have been fleeting due to a couple of niggling injuries. Composed and confident on the ball, the Venezuela international feels he has quickly found his feet in SW6, however, and is pushing for a start at St Mary's.

He added: "I'm very happy. From day one everyone has welcomed me and that makes it easier. The Premier League is very competitive. No one is superior to their rivals and anyone can beat anyone which makes it more complicated but, at the same time, interesting. It's the best league in the world."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/24/fernando-feeling-confident?

WhiteJC

Fulham ready to hand Sidwell a new two-year deal

Fulham boss Martin Jol could hand Steve Sidwell a new two-year deal following his spectacular strike during the 4-1 win against Crystal Palace on Monday.

The 30-year-old has just over eight months left on his existing contract at Craven Cottage and he is yet to agree a new deal.

Fulham seldom offer contracts of longer than 12 months to players aged 30 or over but Jol has hinted that the club could reassess their stance in light of Sidwell's most recent display.

"Of course you feel a bit worried after the game," Jol said. "They all come back and instead of one-year deals they want three years you know and this is probably no different.

"For me Sidwell can stay for two years, for example. We are talking to him and offered him a one-year deal but who knows what will happen."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/fulham-ready-hand-sidwell-new-two-year-deal-13102465327#D5yvXtHbMSDDSjbR.99

WhiteJC

Martin Jol glad he turned down chance to go to Manchester United

Martin Jol has no regrets over turning down the chance to become Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant at Manchester United.

Ferguson revealed in his autobiography, released on Thursday, that he wanted Jol, then manager at Dutch club RKC Waalwijk, to take over from Carlos Queiroz when he left for Real Madrid in the 2003-04 season.

Jol was interviewed by Ferguson and the Scot was impressed with what he had to say, but he ended up taking Queiroz back on soon after when he was sacked at the Bernabeu.

"I never wanted to (take the job)," Jol said. "I don't think I am someone who can work as an assistant.

"If you look at the coaches who were with him - it was not easy for them to (become a number one). Queiroz was probably the exception to the rule.

"The rest stayed as an assistant. Rene Meulensteen is still struggling to be a number one somewhere now.

"It was always nice to talk to him (Sir Alex) because he is a good man. But don't forget that he is Scottish so I had to pay for my own ticket! He never gave me my money back!"

Fulham's next Premier League game is a trip to Southampton on Saturday and you can see it live on Sky Sports 1 with the match starting at 17:30

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8988997/?

WhiteJC

Saints calm ahead of Fulham clash

Mauricio Pochettino insists that Saints remain calm despite their fantastic start to the season.

Excitement is starting to build around the club after a brilliant beginning to the campaign, including a 1-1 draw at Manchester United in the last match.

Expectations are high ahead of a game against Fulham at St Mary's on Saturday with a win set to return Saints to the top four but Pochettino is keeping feet firmly on the ground.

"The mood around the camp is calm," he said.

"The players are very relaxed and calm after going to a difficult place like Old Trafford and getting a draw. That was a very positive result.

"They enjoyed after the game as they would but I enjoy it more when we win than when we draw."

Fulham got a good result against Crystal Palace on Monday night but Pochettino says that will have no bearing on how Saints approach the game.

"It doesn't really change anything. We always have maximum 100 per cent respect for our opponents," said the Saints boss.

"We know that Fulham are a very good side and have very talented players.

"Also that their position in the league table is not realistic of how they were doing up until they won that game against Crystal Palace.

"We know that it is going to be tough playing against them and we are going to have to work very hard to get a positive result from this game.

"We need to work very hard to get a result from this game."

Saints have won plenty of plaudits for their style of play and Pochettino commented: "We have a certain philosophy of football here we try to defend very high up the pitch, taking a lot of risks.

"To have the ball as far away as possible from our goal is how we feel positive about how we play, is how we feel safest.

"The higher up the pitch that all the lines of my players play the better we are in terms of how we want to execute our football philosophy.

"That entails taking risks but we are working on trying to manage them as well.

"It's all down to the great performance of the players who are executing very well that philosophy of how we want to play."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10761894._/?

WhiteJC

Fulham man rejects initial contract offer

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell has rejected the offer of a one-year contract and wants a two-year deal.

The 30-year-old's current contract expires at the end of the season and Whites boss Martin Jol is keen for him to remain at Craven Cottage.

Sidwell has made it clear he wants to stay, while Jol has indicated that an agreement is likely to be reached.

Jol said: "Of course you get a little bit worried because they all come back and say instead of one year they want three years, but we are talking with Steve.

"We have offered him one year but for me it makes no difference – he can stay for two years for example. Who knows what will happen."

Sidwell joined Fulham from Aston Villa in 2011 and has made 62 league appearances for the club, scoring nine goals.

The former Arsenal trainee played for Reading and Chelsea before moving to Villa in 2008.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/steve-sidwell-rejects-contract-747733-html?

WhiteJC

Cottagers must build on Palace display

Fulham FanZoner Henry Walmsley believes Monday's 4-1 win at Selhurst Park proves the Cottagers can play good football under Martin Jol.

Being at University in Newcastle makes it hard for me to watch games, which is why for the last few weeks I haven't written a blog, I did however attend the Crystal Palace game, a game which showed the best and worst assets of our team, but culminated in an excellent result.

With 10 minutes gone, it seemed like it was going to be a long 90 minutes. The home fans were in good voice, and we were already a goal down, a goal which saw 5 ft 11ins Adrian Mariappa out jump 6ft 6ins Brede Hangeland. There was a glaring problem with our game, and that was that we were unable to move the ball from the back, to the forwards. Darren Bent may as well have got out an EA Sports game which he so tirelessly promotes.

It was like the midfield, (Steve Sidwell and Scott Parker train together during the week, and the attacking players train separately), meeting once a week on a football pitch. We would pass the ball around the back for a few minutes, then when patience ran out, would lump it forward, only for Palace to regain possession. Well, other than the time when Sascha Riether did this and Pajtim Kasami pulled out the goal of the season. We continued to struggle to cause many problems for the rest of the first half, until Sidwell produced another sublime finish, which meant we went into half-time with a 2-1 lead, and perhaps more importantly, a hell of a lot more confidence.

The second half was a complete different story to the first. It was like watching a Barcelona side, already 4-0 up, playing a pretty mediocre Spanish side, content on keeping possession and preserving energy. We kept possession of the ball for pretty much the entirety of the second half, completely draining the Crystal Palace players of moral, and silencing the home crowd.

Bryan Ruiz, Kasami and Dimitar Berbatov were producing the football we all know they are capable of, pass after pass after pass. It was a joy to watch, and the 4-1 scoreline didn't flatter our performance in the slightest (at least not our second half one).

It should be noted that we were up against very, very weak opposition, and it doesn't surprise me that Ian Holloway has since left his job. In terms of our manager, the result doesn't change my stance on the matter, it does however reassure me that we can play as well on the pitch as we can on paper. The club is still waiting for the next era in its history to come along, and I'm hoping it can be along the lines of Southampton or Swansea, with a young manager to come in and install some energy.

We travel to Southampton this weekend, in what could be a very good game if we play like we did in the second half. I think it will be a difficult one considering how well the Saints have started the season though, and we'll do well to take anything from the game. You never know with Fulham though, sometimes we just turn it on. COYW!

http://www.teamtalk.com/fanzone/16970/8989022/Cottagers-must-build-on-Palace-display?

WhiteJC

Pochettino wary of buoyant Fulham

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino expects Fulham to give his side a "tough" time in Saturday's Premier League clash.

The Argentinian has seen his team get off to a sensational start to the new campaign, with a 1-1 draw against Manchester United last weekend leaving them in sixth place in the table.

While Martin Jol's side have collected just 10 points from their opening eight games, they have now won two top-flight matches in a row after Monday's 4-1 success over Crystal Palace, and Pochettino is anticipating a difficult fixture at St Mary's.

"Fulham are a very good side with very talented players. Their position in the league is not reflective of how they are doing," he said.

"We know they will make things tough for us, so we'll have to work hard to get a positive result from this game."

Pochettino went on to say his players are in fine shape themselves after taking a point from their trip to the champions last time out.

"The atmosphere is very calm. The players are very relaxed after a positive result at Old Trafford," he added.

"I'm very proud of the players' performances. They are the protagonists in this team."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/pochettino-wary-buoyant-fulham#TZBkzflZbtTVrPbu.99

WhiteJC

Jol - Vote of Confidence

Having witnessed that marvellous 4-1 win, on Monday night, against Crystal Palace, Shahid Khan has nothing but praise for Martin Jol.

Our owner, on a UK trip to see his football club in action whilst also taking in his American football outfit, Jacksonville Jaguars at Wembley this weekend, has had this to say about our Dutch manager in the media,

"He is the man for me - a very experienced guy."

"The start we`ve had, whether you are Martin Jol or any fan, you are not happy."

"Our players are a lot more talented and they proved that on Monday. It was a break-out moment."

"There is a long season yet to go. You have to have a little bit of paranoia to get better."

It remains to be seen as to whether we can keep this new founded momentum going this weekend in what looks, on paper, to be a very difficult fixture.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336473#ixzz2iiBugWlX

WhiteJC

Adam Lallana v Pajtim Kasami: Head-to-head analysis ahead of the clash between Southampton and Fulham
Check out all the vital statistics concerning the two sides' players ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting at St Mary's

Ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting, between Southampton and Fulham, see how the sides' players Adam Lallan and Pajtim Kasami compare.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/adam-lallana-v-pajtim-kasami-headtohead-analysis-ahead-of-the-clash-between-southampton-and-fulham-8902454.html

WhiteJC

'Tis the season to be Jol-ly....

Saints welcome Fulham to St. Mary's on Saturday evening and both sides will be looking to build on their current form.

Based on the season so far, the oh so knowledgeable pundits will be looking at this as a home win, making Saints the favourites, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Saints have always been a team that are at their most dangerous when everybody writes them off. It's a catch 22 situation. I don't want Saints to be forever labelled 'Struggling Southampton' but I don't want them to lose their element of surprise. There is a certain smugness to be afforded when the armchair fan of other clubs utters their dismay at losing to 'a team like Southampton'.

But enough of my 'cake and eat it' desires! Fulham you say?

The first thing Saints must do to get a result against the Cottagers is not underestimate them. For all the talk in the build up to their game against Crystal Palace you would think they hadn't won all season, actually in their last four games they have beaten three Premier League sides, albeit one in the League cup.

For me, Mauricio has to recall Rickie Lambert to the starting lineup to take on Brede Hangeland. In their game with Palace, Fulham's defence looked awful, with Hangeland the main culprit. When Palace took a deserved lead, the travelling fans might have been forgiven for thinking the Michael Jackson statue had returned and was playing centre half. Lambert is capable of terrorising Hangeland.

For all of Saints' much talked about defensive prowess, they have to find a way of stopping Fulham scoring wonder goals. They looked dead and buried in the game at Selhurst Park until Kasami and Sidwell's respective fantastic strikes. They flipped the game on its head.

To that end the key for Saints might be to lead early and kill Fulham off. And do something Saints haven't quite mastered yet - play their best and seal the game in the first half. Don't get me wrong, I don't think trailing at half time would demoralise this mentally strong Saints team like it did Palace, but it's not exactly a help either.

Luke Shaw's performance could be crucial too. Fulham like to play down the right, utilising Reither and Ruiz. I would be tempted to play James Ward-Prowse in front of Shaw. The 18-year-old deadly duo could make a great defensive foil.

At the risk of cursing it into the realms of nothingness, I think this might be a great game. Both teams will be confident on the back of recent results and I wouldn't expect Fulham to sit back (though I hope they do, Saints could cause carnage).

Keep the faith.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/southampton/id/953?&cc=5739

Joe McDonald

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/25/shahid-khan-fulham-owner-jacksonville-jaguars-nfl

Shahid Khan winning friends at Fulham while blazing a trail in NFLBy bringing the Jaguars to Wembley, Fulham's owner is taking strides – but he knows to tread carefully at Craven Cottage

Sean Ingle
theguardian.com, Friday 25 October 2013 13.44 BST

Billionaire Shahid Khan has grown in popularity among Jacksonville Jaguars' fanbase, despite being viewed with scepticism at first. Photograph: Carolyn Kaster/AP
As the pianist in his London hotel strangles the opening bars of Live and Let Die, Shahid Khan, the billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham, is smothering rumours. No, he is not planning to uproot the Jaguars 4,200 miles to London. Nor does he intend to freshen Fulham's management team, or jazz up a club so pleasingly traditional you can still sometimes smell the varnish on its wooden seats. "That's not me," he insists. "That's not me."

So what is he? A trailblazer, certainly: in 2011 he became the first ethnic minority owner of a NFL franchise. His back story is out of the box too. When he arrived in the US from Pakistan as a 16-year-old to study engineering in 1968 he had $500 in his pocket. Now, having made his money designing the first single-piece bumper – a car bumper onesie, in effect – he is worth £3.8bn.

He is canny too. Khan has already ingratiated himself with Fulham fans by expunging the gaudy statue of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage. Now he goes further. "I am not going to micro-manage," he promises the Guardian. "I am really impressed with [the Fulham CEO] Alistair [Mackintosh]. I think he's a very competent guy. And I like Martin [Jol] too. When I showed up they knew the players they wanted, so I said 'Great, let's get the resources you need' – and every player on their wishlist was signed."

Khan, who will watch the Jaguars play the San Francisco 49ers at Wembley on Sunday, also admits he sought advice from other US-based owners before purchasing Fulham. Even the Glazers? "Of course – and I talked to Stan [Kroenke] and Joe Lewis at Tottenham," he says. "They are all very bullish about the English Premier League."

But he is aware how toxic the Glazer brand is, and says his mindset is different. "Obviously you have to look at the business upside, but it's only a part of it," he says. "With Fulham it is about history, their supporters, where they are and where they are heading." His blueprint for the Cottagers is closer to the darker hue of Everton than, say, Manchester City: Khan will spend, but prudently, with the ambition of making Fulham a top-10 club. He is Al-Fayed deluxe, not another Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

A survey of Jaguars fans in 2012 provides additional reassurance: it found Khan had an approval rating of 78% – a welcome turnaround given that he was called a "terrorist from Pakistan" and "a sand monkey" on online forums after buying the franchise. "The reaction is what the reaction is to somebody who looks different," he sighs. "I am not the typical person they are used to seeing, so you have to behave in a certain way to make sure people get to know you."

But while Khan doesn't match the standard e-fit of a typical NFL owner, with his lead guitarist locks and a moustache that wouldn't look out of place in a first world war biplane, his bottom line is not so very different. "The great thing about the NFL is that you get into it for love and you realise it is a fabulous business," he says. "It's a perfect sport and a perfect league."

Yet he dismisses suggestions that the Jaguars could relocate to London, even though an ESPN survey found that only 0.4% of US fans made them their favourite team, the lowest in the NFL. "Frankly I think it's very premature for any team to consider coming to London," he says. "Remember, this is the first year we have had two games at Wembley. But we have made a commitment. We are coming every year to 2016."

Why? Partly because it gives the Jaguars greater exposure than they would otherwise get back home. Partly because Khan believes he can capture new fans in a growing UK market. It is also about tourism. Thousands of Brits jet to Florida each year, but head south to Orlando rather than to Jacksonville's golf courses, waterways and beaches. Khan hopes to alter that.

Of course he needs the Jaguars' fortunes to change too. This season they are 0-7, one of only two NFL teams yet to win a game. They have also not had a winning season since 2007 and while they are making strides under a new general manager and head coach, Sunday night's game is likely be a blowout given that the Jaguars are 17-point underdogs.

But Khan stresses the bigger picture. "The NFL is one of the few sports where it's possible to tear things down and start again," he says. "We have the youngest roster and we're rebuilding. Because of the competitive balance of the draft and salary cap we can do it quickly."

He is living the American dream and, in owning his own sports teams, every schoolboy's dream too. But sometimes it has been a bumpy ride. After 9/11, Khan – a US citizen since 1991 – became a regular victim of racial profiling, much to his understandable exasperation. "Just on a random basis I suspect I have been picked out for more inspections than anyone else," he says.

Khan declines to give a precise number but admits: "It was kind of crazy. Whenever I was flying commercial I would land in Chicago and they would announce 'get your passports out'. It happened so often I would walk to the front of the plane and say 'You're looking for me. Just take me, it will be easier for everybody else.'

Suddenly his face lightens. "But it really got cool," he says. "Because once the groundstaff got to know me they would take me off the plane and walk me past immigration to get my bags while others were stuck in the line saying: 'Who is the VIP?"

These days he carries a Travel Identity Validation letter, which he eventually finds in his leather holdall. "I've got to show somebody – I've never had to show somebody before!" he chuckles. After a successful retrieval operation he points to a date. "After 22 August 2006, it never happened again. How about that?"

When it is suggested that he is remarkably sanguine about what happened, he shrugs. "It's the only way to deal with life," he says. "It makes it much easier. Ride the current, don't go against it." And if the cash keeps flowing in the meantime, all the better still.