more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (26/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 26, 2013, 07:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham star surprised by Southampton's start

Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz has admitted that he is surprised by how well Southampton have started in the Premier League.

With eight games gone, the Saints sit in sixth place after losing only one of those matches.

The Whites make the trip to the south coast on Saturday and Ruiz, who is a doubt for the game, knows that it will be difficult facing a confident side.

"I'm surprised by Southampton's form but they deserve to be where they are," he said. "They are going to be confident, so it's going to be tough."

The Whites ended a run of five games without a win before the international break with a win over Stoke and thrashed Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park by four goals to one meaning they will also be going into the game with spirits up.

"We started with some doubts, but after two wins in a row it gives us confidence," the Costa Rican added. "We are in a better position now but we have to continue.

"The middle of the table is always tough because if you win again you go up, but if you lose we are down again.

"We are full of confidence but we know we have a very difficult schedule.

"We have Southampton, who are doing really good, then after we have the cup and then Manchester United."

Manager Martin Jol called on his players to use next year's World Cup in Brazil as motivation to play well.

Barring injury, Ruiz will be going there with Costa Rica as captain but he still wants to be in the best possible shape.

"I still want to play very good this season to give myself the best preparation for the World Cup," he said.

"It's been a tough schedule for myself. I flew to Costa Rica many times to play for the national team, which is difficult to recover. I am enjoying it. I want to improve.

"I am very tired because it's difficult to go to America and play, then come back and play again here. It's difficult to cope with the jet lag."

Ruiz has been part of an attacking quartet and he is enjoying his work with Dimitar Berbatov, Darren Bent and Pajtim Kasami.

"It worked very well because Berba can play as a number 10," the forward explained.

"We have Darren who can exploit the space and Kasami doing well on the side. We have players who can score. It's a good combination.

"We are good and can still improve."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_surprised_by_southampton_s_start_1_2928469

WhiteJC

Southampton v Fulham: Cottagers to continue revival

This week's Saturday night football comes from St Mary's as Southampton look to continue their impressive start to the season against Fulham. Paul Robinson has all the details...

Southampton v Fulham 
Saturday October 26, 17.30 BST
Live on Sky Sports 1

It was less than a year ago that the Southampton fans were in uproar at the dismissal of Nigel Adkins by Nicola Cortese. Former Espanyol boss Mauricio Pochettino has completely silenced those critics though as he led The Saints to a 14th place finish last season and eight games in to this one he has them in sixth.

It doesn't take a genius to see where they've improved as the single goal they conceded at Old Trafford last weekend ended a run of five straight clean sheets - something which Adkins could only dream of.

The Argentine has his players pressing high up the pitch and his creative midfielders pick apart the opposition defence when in possession. Club captain, Adam Lallana is the man of the moment as the 25 year old has two goals and two assists in his last four outings. He can't be far off an England call up although teammate Rickie Lambert has gone off the boil since he made his debut for the Three Lions.

Fulham have won three of their last four in all competitions to seemingly end a mini-crisis that had seen Martin Jol reportedly on the brink of losing his job. A 2-1 defeat at home to Cardiff had him under real pressure but they've bounced back with consecutive victories over Stoke and Crystal Palace.

The Cottagers can play some excellent football at times but they are accused of lacking a bit of steel as many of Jol's signings have been flair players. Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz are prime examples of that - although the latter is a doubt for Saturday - so it will be interesting to see who lines up at St Mary's.

Away from home this term Fulham's results haven't been too bad at all, which has surprised me somewhat. They've beaten Sunderland and Palace, and lost 1-0 and 2-0 at Newcastle and Chelsea respectively. They were unlucky at St James' Park though as it took an 86th minute Hatem Ben Arfa strike to beat them and they can easily be forgiven the defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Match Odds
Southampton 1.64 Fulham 6.8 The Draw 4.1

The last three meetings between these two have ended in draws - two of which were at Southampton. That outcome is definitely the value selection for my money this weekend as Fulham have an extra spring in their step and The Saints are just too short, despite their excellent form.

Over/Under 2.5 Goals
Under 2.5 Goals 1.98 Over 2.5 Goals 2.0

There's only one way to go in this market and that's definitely under 2.5 goals. All eight of Southampton's Premier League fixtures have had two goals or less this season and so did six of their final seven last year. Fulham have seen four of their last half dozen go the same way, with three of their four on the road all going under 2.5.

Cash Out
Given my selections of the draw and under 2.5 goals it comes as no surprise that my best cash out opportunity is a 0-0 draw. It's currently trading at around the 13.0 mark and I have to believe that it will trade considerably shorter.

Southampton have scored four of their five home goals in the second half this year and they've only conceded once at St Mary's. The 4-1 win at Crystal Palace aside, Fulham's three other away games have been 0-0 at the break, and if you're a believer in patterns, then the last three meetings between the two have finished 3-3, 2-2 and most recently 1-1.

Recommended Bets

Back the Draw @ 4.1
Back Under 2.5 goals @ 1.98
Back a 0-0 Correct Score @ 13.0 (Cash Out at Half Time)

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/southampton-v-fulham-cottagers-to-continue-revival-241013-35.html?

WhiteJC

Southampton v Fulham: Hosts to squeeze life out of Jol's revival
No visiting side has scored a goal at St Mary's in the last three Premier League games

Fulham have turned the tide in recent fixtures by collecting six potentially job-saving points for their manager Martin Jol. However, up next are a Southampton side ready to flood Fulham's cottage-shaped sandcastle again.

Southampton's metamorphosis from 12 months back is astounding.

Where the Saints' colander-like defence were busy setting records for conceding in October of 2012, their new submarine-standard back-line is now the meanest in the top-flight, having seeped just three times in eight games.

This is something the last two league visitors to St Mary's can definitely attest too, with Swansea and Crystal Palace both leaving the south coast as 2-0 losers.

So, as we've already touched upon on this site, another Southampton win to nil at 31/10 looks a very plausible outcome and a potentially profitable one too.

Running with this theme and providing a decent cover bet, it would be wise to opt for 8/13 on the straight-up home win into any potential punting strategy to do with this match, while it also make a tempting accumulator price.

In pairing together new signing Dejan Lovren and Jose Fonte in front of Polish international goalkeeper Artur Boruc, Saints' boss Mauricio Pochettino has unearthed a particularly steadfast heart of his defence.

And while Fulham's recent resurgence means they shouldn't be ignored, it's important to look at the back-peddling form of the opposition against whom they were secured, in Stoke and Crystal Palace.

Furthermore, on the road, Fulham have only gleaned points against the bottom two, while losing to nil against both Chelsea an Newcastle, which underpins the slightly superficial nature of their recent recovery.

The coupled correct score bet of 1-0/2-0 to Southampton at 27/10 gets 'Don' status here.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/southampton-v-fulham-hosts-to-squeeze-life-out-of-jols-revival_175796.html

WhiteJC

Fulham May Need Another Spectacular Strike To Breach Southampton's Miserly Defence

SOUTHAMPTON v FULHAM 17:30, St. Mary's Stadium

Southampton have made an outstanding start to the campaign and showed their worth last weekend when they came from behind to claim a draw at Old Trafford. The Saints have only been defeated once this term and have collected as many points as fourth-placed Chelsea. Mauricio Pochettino's men also boast the tightest defence in the division, conceding just three times and have unsurpringly made their best start to a top-flight campaign since 1983, when they finished the season in second place.

The Saints have kept three successive clean sheets at St. Mary's, which is the same number they kept in their previous 24 Premier League home matches. There were many Southampton fans who were dismayed when Pochettino replaced Nigel Adkins but the decision seems to have been a masterstroke by Chairman Nicola Cortese.

Fulham are unbeaten in their last seven matches against Southampton and come into the game off the back of two straight victories. The Cottagers had been in a rut, without a win in five matches but victories over Stoke and Crystal Palace have given the Londoners some confidence and possibly saved Martin Jol his job.

One problem for Fulham is that they haven't managed three successive league victories since March 2012 and will be up against it when they face an in-form Southampton side.

What to watch out for: There have been just six goals scored in the four Premier League games at St Mary's this season.

Possible line-ups:

Southampton – Boruc; Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw; Lallana, Schneiderlin, Wanyama; Rodriguez, Davis, Osvaldo

Fulham – Stekelenburg, Reither, Amorebieta, Senderos, Richardson, Kasami; Sidwell, Parker, Duff, Ruiz, Berbatov

Recent Form: Southampton: LDWWWD; Fulham: LDLLWW

Prediction: 2-1

http://www.footymatters.com/articles/english-football/premier-league/premier-league-preview/fulham-may-need-another-spectacular-strike-to-breach-southamptons-miserly-defence/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Martin Jol feels England could do worse than look at Darren Bent

Martin Jol feels Darren Bent could still force his way into England's World Cup squad if he can find the net on a regular basis for Fulham.

Bent has scored three goals since arriving at Craven Cottage but his lack of playing time for Sunderland and Aston Villa means it is two years since his last international appearance.

But Jol feels Roy Hodgson's recent selections of Jermain Defoe and Rickie Lambert mean Bent should not feel like his England hopes are over.

"You never know," the Fulham boss said when asked about Bent's chances of making the plane for Brazil.

"(Selection) can be a spur of the moment thing because if Bent scores five goals in the final month of league then he could be in contention again to be selected.

"Bent is one of best finishers in England, he is like Defoe. And Defoe has a big chance to go to Brazil I think and Danny Welbeck is probably similar. They are all good players."

Fulham's form has improved in the last month or so but three points at Southampton on Saturday would mean a third straight Premier League win under Jol for only the second time.

"People don't realise that in the last four games (in all competitions), we only lost once," Jol said. "That was against Cardiff, which was disappointing, but we turned a corner four or five weeks ago.

"I think there is only one team in Europe who did better or equalled Southampton defensively and that is Roma.

"They are the only team to concede three in the Barclays Premier League. They have strong athletes, they have stamina and strength at the back and they are organised.

"It is a good team, they are solid in defence, but they go forward. If you have (Rickie) Lambert, Osvaldo and (Adam) Lallana up front you have quality."

Fulham's trip to Southampton on Saturday is live on Sky Sports 1 with the programme starting at 5pm

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8990626?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Flawed Centre

What a result on Monday; a much needed three points and a Pajtim Kasami strike of the very highest quality. But let's not get too excited; this was a victory over a woeful Crystal Palace side. What's more, Kasami's thumper came against the run of play, when we were a goal down, and was one of just nine Fulham shots (six on target) in the whole game. Even after the Swiss marauder has scored the equaliser, it wasn't until Steve Sidwell's end-of-half belter that we finally started to dominate Palace.

If we can't control the tempo of a game against a mediocre Championship side, what chance do we have of competing with the top two thirds of the Premier League? Scott Parker and Sidwell came away from the Palace game with some pretty impressive stats (pass completion rates of 94% and 92% respectively, with a combined 12 of 15 attempted tackles successful) but this doesn't tell the whole story.

In Brede Hangeland, Philippe Senderos and Fernando Amorebieta, we have three centre backs devoid of pace. That's not a criticism, it's just a fact; however, it means that the team needs to cater for this weakness. And yet, for much of the first half you could have played a game of tennis between the back four and the central midfield two. When the Palace midfielders broke through Parker and Sidwell, they had space and time to run at the Fulham defence. No wonder Hangeland had to go off at half time with a back injury; he probably needed treatment for twisted blood, too. It's very simple; a slow central defence can't survive with space in front of it. Against better sides, this would have been punished; greater defensive energy, dynamism and positional awareness is needed from our central midfield.

Talking of dynamism, this brings me on another point. I don't want to be overly critical of Sidwell and Parker after a good performance on Monday night but they are a midfield duo totally lacking in dynamism or drive. Taking a novel approach to 'pass and move', they prefer the 'pass but don't bother moving' way. Parker, in particular, is happy to do a pirouette in possession, pass the ball sideways or backwards and then stop to admire his work. It's not enough. As a central midfield two, Parker and Sidwell need to link defence and attack; they need to move the ball forward at pace.

Against Southampton tomorrow, our midfield will be overrun unless Martin Jol adds a bit more energy in the form of Derek Boeteng, or moves Kasami or Bryan Ruiz deeper to create a compact midfield three. The Palace win was a big step forward but Jol's side remains a work in progress. With tougher games coming up, that progression needs to happen quickly.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/25-10-2013/fulhams-flawed-centre/852835?#ixzz2ioGMef5K

WhiteJC

Southampton vs Fulham - Match preview and team news

Mauricio Pochettino's Southampton will be looking to extend their unbeaten run to seven games when they meet Fulham in Saturday's late kick-off.

The Saints gained another excellent result last time out, scoring a late equaliser to hold Manchester United, and they have won many admirers on their way to sixth place after eight games. Their defensive record is stark contrast to how it was at this stage last season under Nigel Adkins, and there seems to be a real togetherness among the squad, epitomised by the all action performances of Morgan Schneiderlin, which are beginning to get noticed.

For Fulham and Martin Jol, two consecutive victories have arrived at the best possible time, as the Dutchman was beginning to come under severe pressure. Two stunning goals at Crystal Palace on Monday seemed to provide them with great confidence, and they were fully in control in the second half, and the 4-1 win means they now sit just a point behind Manchester United in eighth.

Pochettino will have to decide whether to hand a recall to Rickie Lambert, who was a substitute at Old Trafford, and Steven Davis will be assessed after sustaining a minor injury in training.

Fernando Amorebieta is likely to come in for Fulham captain Brede Hangeland, who was forced off at half time against Palace. Bryan Ruiz is also a doubt.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_22507_-.html#.UmtrEha_wds

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan winning friends at Fulham while blazing a trail in NFL
By bringing the Jaguars to Wembley, Fulham's owner is making strides – but he knows to tread carefully at Craven Cottage

The billionaire Shahid Khan has grown in popularity among Jacksonville Jaguars'
fanbase, despite being viewed with scepticism at first.
Photograph: Carolyn Kaster/AP

As the pianist in his London hotel strangles the opening bars of Live and Let Die, Shahid Khan, the billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham, is smothering rumours. No, he is not planning to uproot the Jaguars 4,200 miles to London. Nor does he intend to freshen Fulham's management team, or jazz up a club so pleasingly traditional you can still sometimes smell the varnish on its wooden seats. "That's not me," he insists. "That's not me."

So what is he? A trailblazer, certainly: in 2011 he became the first ethnic minority owner of a NFL franchise. His back story is out of the box too. When he arrived in the United States from Pakistan as a 16-year-old to study engineering in 1968 he had $500 in his pocket. Now, having made his money designing the first single-piece bumper – a car bumper onesie, in effect – he is worth £3.8bn.

He is canny too. Khan has already ingratiated himself with Fulham fans by expunging the gaudy statue of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage. Now he goes further. "I am not going to micro-manage," he promises the Guardian. "I am really impressed with [the Fulham CEO] Alistair [Mackintosh]. I think he's a very competent guy. And I like Martin [Jol] too. When I showed up they knew the players they wanted, so I said: 'Great, let's get the resources you need' – and every player on their wishlist was signed."

Khan, who will watch the Jaguars play the San Francisco 49ers at Wembley on Sunday , also admits he sought advice from other US-based owners before purchasing Fulham. Even the Glazers? "Of course – and I talked to Stan [Kroenke] and Joe Lewis at Tottenham," he says. "They are all very bullish about the English Premier League."

But he is aware how toxic the Glazer brand is, and says his mindset is different. "Obviously you have to look at the business upside, but it's only a part of it," he says. "With Fulham it is about history, their supporters, where they are and where they are heading." His blueprint for the Cottagers is closer to the darker hue of Everton than, say, Manchester City: Khan will spend, but prudently, with the ambition of making Fulham a top 10 club. He is Al Fayed deluxe, not another Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

A survey of Jaguars fans in 2012 provides additional reassurance: it found Khan had an approval rating of 78% – a welcome turnaround given that he was called a "terrorist from Pakistan" and "a sand monkey" on online forums after buying the franchise. "The reaction is what the reaction is to somebody who looks different," he sighs. "I am not the typical person they are used to seeing, so you have to behave in a certain way to make sure people get to know you."

But while Khan doesn't match the standard e-fit of a typical NFL owner, with his lead guitarist locks and a moustache that wouldn't look out of place in a first world war biplane, his bottom line is not so very different. "The great thing about the NFL is that you get into it for love and you realise it is a fabulous business," he says. "It's a perfect sport and a perfect league."

Yet he dismisses suggestions that the Jaguars could relocate to London, even though an ESPN survey found that only 0.4% of US fans made them their favourite team, the lowest in the NFL. "Frankly I think it's very premature for any team to consider coming to London," he says. "Remember, this is the first year we have had two games at Wembley. But we have made a commitment. We are coming every year to 2016."

Why? Partly because it gives the Jaguars greater exposure than they would otherwise get back home. Partly because Khan believes he can capture new fans in a growing UK market. It is also about tourism. Thousands of Brits jet to Florida each year, but head south to Orlando rather than to Jacksonville's golf courses, waterways and beaches. Khan hopes to alter that.

Of course he needs the Jaguars' fortunes to change too. This season they are 0-7, one of only two NFL teams yet to win a game. They have also not had a winning season since 2007 and while they are making strides under a new general manager and head coach, Sunday night's game is likely be a blowout given that the Jaguars are 17-point underdogs.

But Khan stresses the bigger picture. "The NFL is one of the few sports where it's possible to tear things down and start again," he says. "We have the youngest roster and we're rebuilding. Because of the competitive balance of the draft and salary cap we can do it quickly."

He is living the American dream and, in owning his own sports teams, every schoolboy's dream too. But sometimes it has been a bumpy ride. After 9/11, Khan – a US citizen since 1991 – became a regular victim of racial profiling, much to his understandable exasperation. "Just on a random basis I suspect I have been picked out for more inspections than anyone else," he says.

Khan declines to give a precise number but admits: "It was kind of crazy. Whenever I was flying commercial I would land in Chicago and they would announce: 'Get your passports out.' It happened so often I would walk to the front of the plane and say: 'You're looking for me. Just take me, it will be easier for everybody else.'"

Suddenly his face lightens. "But it really got cool," he says. "Because once the groundstaff got to know me they would take me off the plane and walk me past immigration to get my bags while others were stuck in the line saying: 'Who is the VIP?"

These days he carries a Travel Identity Validation letter, which he eventually finds in his leather holdall. "I've got to show somebody – I've never had to show somebody before!" he chuckles. After a successful retrieval operation he points to a date. "After 22 August 2006, it never happened again. How about that?"

When it is suggested that he is remarkably sanguine about what happened, he shrugs. "It's the only way to deal with life," he says. "It makes it much easier. Ride the current, don't go against it." And if the cash keeps flowing in the meantime, all the better still.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/25/shahid-khan-fulham-owner-jacksonville-jaguars-nfl?

WhiteJC

Predicted Fulham XI to play Southampton

Match to be played on Saturday 26th October 2013 at 17:30. Venue: St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Fulham recorded a second successive win on Monday night at Crystal Palace to move away from the relegation zone.

On Saturday they'll be traveling to Premier League high-flyers Southampton, who came away from Old Trafford with a point in their last away game.

Martin Jol will be reluctant to tinker with his team too much for their second away game in a week, especially after his team scored four and conceded just once at Selhurst Park, meaning Maarten Stekelenburg will continue in goal, and Kieran Richardson will continue at left-back.

One enforced change may be that of captain Brede Hangeland, who came off at half-time on Monday with a back injury. Fernando Amorebieta, who replaced the Norwegian, will likely deputise.

Winger Pajtim Kasami, who netted an outstanding equaliser in that game, will find himself newly the focus of attention, and Jol will hope the young Swiss can play a part in breaching a miserly Saints defence that has conceded just three goals.

Predicted Fulham XI:

Stekelenburg

Riether    Senderos    Amorebieta    Richardson

Ruiz         Parker          Sidwell          Kasami

Bent             Berbatov

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/10/25/predicted-fulham-xi-to-play-southampton/?

WhiteJC

Team Focus: Wondergoals Paper Over Cracks in Fulham's Attack

Pajtim Kasami's goal of the season contender at Crystal Palace on Monday night sparked a first Premier League comeback victory for the Cottagers in 18 months, as well as the first instance of the side scoring more than 3 goals in a match since the opening day of last season. It was a strike of real quality, showcasing the Swiss international's exceptional technique to such a degree that Martin Jol dared to place it alongside compatriot Marco van Basten's legendary volley in the Euro 1998 final against the Soviet Union.

The goal deserves to be lauded, but Fulham should be careful not to get too hung up on it. Followed by another spectacular volley from Steve Sidwell, the cottagers never looked like losing from the point they scored, but the nature of those two goals rather covered up problems that have been apparent for the Cottagers long enough that Jol's position as manager is not all that secure.

Incredibly, this is now only the second time that Jol's men have recorded back-to-back Premier League victories in over a year, and any optimism garnered from those recent results should be taken with a pinch of salt. They came narrowly against 16th-place Stoke, the lowest scoring team across the top 5 European leagues in 2013/14, and Palace, who had already lost their last 4 games and picked up only 3 points all season before welcoming Fulham to Selhurst Park.

So a team boasting players of the ability of Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz and that which Kasami displayed earlier in the week should wholly expect to beat both an underwhelming Stoke side and a rather hopeless Crystal Palace led by soon-to-be-sacked Ian Holloway. Fulham simply do no score enough goals with the players at their disposal; prior to their 4-1 win this week they had not scored more than once in a Premier League game all season.

Berbatov's form has too, been problematic. Against Palace he ended a Premier League goal drought that was approaching the ten hour mark with a header from a Ruiz corner. Still, a goal in open play eludes him in the league this campaign.

The Bulgarian has been chopping and changing between the 'number 9' and '10' roles, playing either behind Darren Bent or ahead of Kasami or Ruiz, but it remains unclear which position he is actually best suited to. He is not a striker who likes to play on the shoulder of the last defender, instead preferring to come looking for the ball in midfield areas; few other strikers would be comfortable as a number 10.

He has primarily played as a centre-forward in his whole spell in England; at Tottenham alongside Robbie Keane and at Manchester United with Wayne Rooney. Notably, though, both of these partners liked to drop deep to look for possession in the same way that Berbatov himself is known to. This similarity would usually be thought of as a hindrance but in fact has complimented each other, as is evident in the success he enjoyed with both.

At Fulham, Berbatov has had most success when playing as the furthest man forward, with his partner tasked more with linking play and creating. In 9 appearances when playing in an attacking midfield role, he has not managed a single assist and scored only twice, including his goal at Palace. In fact, that game at Selhurst Park was the first that Fulham have won with Berbatov playing in the number 10 role, and even then it was hardly a victory built on impressive attacking football with their talisman at the centre of their play, but rather a match won by moments of individual brilliance and poorly defended corners.

Up front, meanwhile, Berbatov has 14 goals and 3 assists in 30 Premier League appearances for Fulham. It is thus questionable as to their motivation and justification for bringing in Bent this summer. The former England man won't be happy playing a bit-part role at Craven Cottage, but with Berbatov and the team getting such improved results with him up front, Bent may not be given adequate chances. Having only completed 90 minutes once since his move - when both Berbatov and Ruiz were out injured for the trip to Chelsea - Bent might choose not stick around for longer than the season for which his loan deal lasts.

Fulham are having fewer shots per game (8.4) than any other team in the Premier League and the lack of a player to move the ball about near the opponent's goal is a real problem for them. The fact that Scott Parker, one of the Premier League's less creative midfielders - to put it lightly - has been completing more passes in the final third of the pitch (10.8) than any other Fulham player this season speaks volumes. He has only 1 assist in his last 55 league appearances and quite simply, Fulham should be leaving Parker to his defensive duties and task the likes of Kasami, Ruiz and Berbatov with playing killer passes higher up the pitch.

That defenders Sascha Riether (2) and Philippe Senderos (1) can account for half of Fulham's assists this season is also indicative of deficiencies in the attacking department, while creative hub Bryan Ruiz's assists both came from corners against Crystal Palace. Clearly, improvements need to be made in attack because they are not solid enough at the back to rely on shutting out their opponents and nicking narrow wins here and there.

Up to 14th in the table after recent victories, Fulham have put breathing space between themselves and the relegation zone but that may not last. The Cottagers' next three matches see them face 2 of the current top 6 in Southampton and Liverpool as well as champions Manchester United who are in desperate need of points, so it will be a testing few weeks for the resolve of Jol and his players. The likelihood of their building on recent results remains slim, and even another cracker from Kasami might not be enough to disguise the problems in what could be a very tough period for Fulham.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/jrEZss52i0SuevVKVZMtZQ/Show/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol: Brede Hangeland and Bryan Ruiz could miss clash with Southampton

The Dutch coach says that the pair are struggling with injury ahead of the trip to St Mary's and confirms Matthew Briggs' absence

Injury doubts: Ruiz and Hangeland could miss Southampton trip
Paul Gilham

Fulham manager Martin Jol has revealed that Brede Hangeland and Bryan Ruiz are fitness doubts ahead of the visit to Southampton on Saturday.

The Dutch boss said that Hangeland is struggling with a nerve problem, while Costa Rica international Ruiz is doubtful with a back injury.

Matthew Briggs will also be absent after succumbing to a hip injury.

Jol said: "We have to test Bryan Ruiz tomorrow – he has a back problem.

"We kept him on during the [4-1 win at] Crystal Palace and he had to have an injection afterwards. Hopefully it will settle."

The former Tottenham Hotspur manager also said that Norweigan defender Hangeland is suffering with a nerve problem in his leg ahead of the visit to St Mary's.

"Hangeland has got problem with a nerve in his leg so will probably be out," added Jol

"He was injured before and he had a medical check and played two international games.

"I thought 'that was quick' but I asked him if he was fit and he said he was."

The Cottagers have recorded back-to-back victories in the Premier League to ease the early-season pressure on Jol.

However, club owner Shahid Khan has warned the team not to let complacency get the better of them after claiming that the threat of relegation is a real possibility.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/team-news-brede-hangeland-bryan-2499031#ixzz2ioIAOXVS
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham owner Shahid Khan preaches American sensibilities, with respect to English traditions
Henry Winter speaks to owner of Fulham and Jacksonville Jaguars about the huge potential of the Premier League

New fan: Shahid Khan believes the Premier League is making steps in the right direction
Photo: PA

Fulham's new owner, Shahid Khan, was at Craven Cottage watching his team take on Arsenal, marveling at the tribalism of a London derby, the sights and sounds of a full ground and the increasing awareness of a major television audience tuning in. "What will be the viewership?" Khan asked Fulham executives and staff around him. A general confab ensued. "Around 200m'' was the conclusion.

Whether the Americans buying into English "soccer" understand the game or not, they certainly understand the numbers game. The numbers of the "EPL", as they call it are highly attractive.

Khan, the multi-billionaire auto-parts king, is in town again this week, attending NFL functions in London on Saturday, keeping tabs via his tablet and phone on Fulham's fortunes at Southampton and on Sunday attending his Jacksonville Jaguars side's game against San Francisco 49ers at Wembley.

"For us in the NFL the biggest game of the week would be the Sunday night game and that would have maybe 20m watching,'' said Khan over coffee this week in a Park Lane hotel. "You compare that to the opener at Fulham against Arsenal: we had 40 countries live and the viewership 10 times what the biggest NFL game has.''

American owners of Premier League clubs rarely talk publicly. The Glazers lurk in the Everglades. "Silent" Stan Kroenke is mainly, well, silent. Randy Lerner avoids the media. Khan is chatty, charming and his only touch of vanity involves tweaking that famously bushy moustache before the photographer starts clicking.

Khan's story is fascinating, starting in Lahore in 1950. "You'll be amazed, especially today, how revered the British Empire is in India, and especially in Pakistan. In Pakistan especially for the last 60 years what the British Government left there are things that endure like English law, the British railroads, the English language.'' And cricket?'' "That would fall under 'religion'! I used to have Hanif Mohammad's flip-card where you would see his batting position. Asif Iqbal was a great bowler. I played street cricket. Just a bat and a ball, no formalities like lbw and all that gimmickry! I loved batting.''

He was not born wealthy. "My grandfather, a doctor, had multiple wives and my father was from the youngest wife, and by the time it got to his education, they had gone through most of the family money. So my father had to work and put himself through school. Then he worked for the British railroads. He was a station-master at Lahore.

"He got married, an arranged marriage, and had to provide for the family, so he started running a small retail store at night. That taught me my work ethic and that paranoia is a healthy thing. It could all be gone! I feel that now!''

Really?! He moved to the States as a teenager, working ferociously hard, building up a 17,000-employee business and is himself worth £3billion so why the paranoia? "Auto-parts is hyper-competitive,'' he explained. "In football one wins, one loses. In auto-parts four or five guys have to lose for one to win. If we're not innovating we might have to close facilities.

"You have families counting on sending kids to school, making mortgage payments, who are going to be on the street. I don't lose sleep over that but I do have a sense of responsibility over that.''

He feels a responsibility to those who call Craven Cottage home. "It's a special place. It's the history but also the make-up of the fans, the civility, the welcome, family values which are really very much in sync with NFL. There's also a very tribal aspect that goes with English clubs. American sports don't have that tribal aspect today.''

Khan won the respect of many supporters when ordering the removal of the Michael Jackson statue, a sensitive issue that arose during negotiations to buy the club from Mohamed Al Fayed. "I thought it would be very easy for him to comprehend that this was time it had to go but he really struggled with it."

Al Fayed threatened jokingly he would remove Khan's moustache if Jackson went. "He has a good sense of humour, unique, a very Middle Eastern, Asian sense of humour, a humour from my dad's generation's that I relate to,'' Khan smiled. "He's got a heart of gold. In all reality Fulham might not exist without Mr Al Fayed.''

So what's Khan's game-plan? He definitely enjoys the sport, hugely admires the Premier League's chief executive Richard Scudamore and appreciates the league's commercial possibilities such as generating additional income from those 200m tuning into Fulham-Arsenal. "That will come with time,'' he says of earning more from the overseas audience.

Khan envisages the "EPL" becoming the world's dominant sporting league. "Absolutely.'' So he was sitting on a potential goldmine on the banks of the Thames? "No, I wouldn't say that but the best is yet to come for EPL. I met Scudamore, a great guy, and he's more American than British! He's one of the most American guys I've ever met! I mean it in a very, very good way!''

He likes Scudamore's ambition. The NFL, and particularly Khan's Jaguars, are playing regular-season games in London. So could the Premier League revisit Scudamore's controversial idea of a "39th game" with a match overseas?

"Right now that would be blasphemous for me,'' replied Khan. "I've been in this league what three months, four months? It would be heresy to suggest something like that. I spoke to Scudamore and he said 'I still have scars from the 39th game'. I think there will be a time but it's not right now. It makes sense. I thought it was a very, very ingenious plan that he had and eventually it would make sense but it has to make sense to everybody. It can't just make sense to one person."

In the mean-time, Khan encourages Fulham and Jaguars executives to operate in tandem, maximising revenue. "Our goal is 2+2=5, working with each other, helping the NFL effort but more importantly helping Fulham.''

He sees the Premier League learning from American sports and vice-versa. Khan is passionate about "analytics'', the use of data to assess and predict performance. "In the auto-industry now it's second nature. In sports, baseball doesn't have a hard salary cap so some of the smaller teams - Oakland are a good example - use the analytics, the patterns, for 'how do I identify the high-value players', so they can compete without the (larger) salaries of much bigger clubs. Analytics is not a magic cure-all but it's another tool that might give you a leg-up.

"A hard salary cap (as in the NFL) would certainly sustain soccer in a big way. In the Premier League it's very much a 'you eat what you kill' concept. Merchandising and marketing is all done at club level whereas in the NFL you sell the rights to the League, split them up and each team is going to end up with more money. That is very, very difficult when you have relegation and promotion.''

He would not change the flow between divisions. "It absolutely does add to the drama. It adds to the Cinderella factor. I saw – do you pronounce it Yeovil? - a tiny club, who came up into the Championship. Isn't that wonderful?! A feelgood story. You wouldn't have that without promotion-relegation.

"There's a lot of commercialism in American sports. Every minute or two the play stops and 'here's a TV commercial'. I don't think you can do that with soccer. You can't mess with the spirit or karma of something just to do make it more commercial. EPL is doing a lot of things right.''

Information is key. He introduces his factory workers to the Jacksonville coach Gus Bradley after games. "It's the sharing of experiences. It benefited Gus Bradley much.'' One wonders what Fulham's manager, Martin Jol, will make of such proffered advice. Fulham are already seeking another coach to assist him.

Khan supports Jol, whose position was strengthened by Monday's thrashing of Crystal Palace. "Right now, Martin is our manager,'' said Khan. "What we are looking at is how do we help Martin to be more successful? Martin has a lot for resources. Another coach is not something being done in isolation without his counsel, encouragement and involvement.'' Very polite and engaging, Khan is a demanding owner.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10404941/Fulham-owner-Shahid-Khan-preaches-American-sensibilities-with-respect-to-English-traditions.html

WhiteJC

Southampton v Fulham preview: Team strengths, tactics and stats
Check out all the vital statistics ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting at St Marys

Ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting, between Southampton and Fulham, see how the sides compare on possession, pass accuracy, tactics and much more.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-v-fulham-preview-team-strengths-tactics-and-stats-8904660.html

WhiteJC

Rickie Lambert must play to end goal drought against dodgy Fulham defence

It's not well known that Fulham are something of a 'bogey team' for Southampton. The Saints have only actually beaten the Cottagers once in 36 years, and that in itself was 11 years ago this Sunday.

I would call that the perfect time to set the record straight.

Back in October 2002 it was a James Beattie hat-trick that put a Fulham side containing a multitude of talented players (and Rufus Brevett) to the sword, and his strike partner Brett Ormerod chipped in with the fourth to seal a 4-2 victory for the home side (having been behind twice).

If symmetry is to be achieved then Saints might look to their current forwards to find that sort of form against a dodgy Fulham defence this time out.

Fulham, despite winning on Monday, looked unsteady at the back, and playing Lambert against Brede Hangeland from the start is a must

Rickie Lambert and Dani Osvaldo have found goals hard to come by so far this season, though both have performed admirably in general. They are both frustrated I am sure, and on the back of Saints' current form all that is missing is a forward who is in the goals on a regular basis to make it perfect.

We all know they can do it, but both are adapting to a new situation. Osvaldo is still finding his feet in a new team and a new league, and Lambert is learning to not always be the main focal point of the attack. It will take time.

Fulham, despite winning on Monday, looked unsteady at the back, and playing Lambert against Brede Hangeland from the start is a must. Lambert on top form will bully the Norwegian and make his life very uncomfortable.

It seems odd to be a Saints fan and be talking about a lack of goals after the recent few years, but it really isn't a major concern. At times it is too easy to think that there are no flaws when the results are going right, but constant improvement is the key to continuing success and I am sure Pochettino thinks the same.

Should any of the Saints forwards – and that includes Jay Rodriguez – go on a run of goals then this side could well keep this run going and the 'shocks' might just become the 'standard'.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/25/rickie-lambert-must-play-to-end-goal-drought-against-dodgy-fulham-defence-4160673/?

WhiteJC

Midfielder Watched

As a club that is often labelled as unfashionable, its fair to say we have to scour the transfer market in a slightly manner to the big clubs.

We have to navigate our way around the areas that are not often deemed to be fashionable and sometimes, just sometimes, a bargain can be had.

To that effect, it`s interesting to read that Fulham are linked with the acquisition of a young midfielder currently plying his trade in Holland for the Dutch side Zwolle.

At twenty-three years of age Mateuaz Klich is rumoured to be heading to the Premier League with ourselves and Stoke listed as the most likely destinations.

Could he end up at Craven Cottage?

Well stranger things have happened!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336577#ixzz2ioJyI6HA

WhiteJC

The Sidwell Dilemma

Having lost a raft of players who were out of contract at the end of last season, something that heralded a large turnover of playing staff this summer, it`ll be interesting to see what happens next summer.

One player who is out of contract this summer is Steve Sidwell with rumours doing the rounds that the midfielder isn`t too happy at being only offered a one year extension on his current deal and is stalling with regards to putting pen-to-paper.

Sidwell, now thirty years of age, is believed to want a longer deal when his current one runs out and Martin Jol is keeping tight-lipped over the affair by simply remarking,

"We are talking."

So what is the verdict Vital Fulham should Sidwell be given a two year deal or is the club right to only offer him a one year extension?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336578#ixzz2ioK9M4WF

WhiteJC

Cottage Tours

This weekend, the Club is running additional tours of Craven Cottage and fans will be able to turn up and book a tour place on the day!

Tours will be running at 10.15am, 11.15am, 12.30pm, 2.15pm and 3.15pm on Saturday 26th, and at 10.15am, 11.15am, 12.30pm and 2.15pm on the Sunday. Click here to find out more.

In addition, the Cafe at the Cottage will be showing a live screening of the Jacksonville Jaguars' clash with the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday 27th October.

The game at Wembley Stadium will kick off at 5pm, although the Cafe will be open throughout the day, closing 30 minutes after the final whistle.

There will be a selection of hot food and snacks available to purchase, in addition to a cash bar facility.

Make a day of it by heading over to the Stadium Store prior to the NFL game, with our 15 per cent instore discount on all products expiring at 5pm on Sunday. This discount extends to Jaguars merchandise which will also be on sale.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/25/cottage-tours?

WhiteJC

Southampton v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Southampton and Fulham at St Mary's on Saturday Oct 26, 2013, kick-off 17.30 (BST).

Saturday, October 26 2013
Southampton v Fulham
St Mary's
Kick-off: 17.30 BST
TV: Live Sky Sp 1, Highlights BBC One Match of the Day

Southampton (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Boruc; Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw; Lallana, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Rodriguez; Davis, Osvaldo.
Test: Davis (knock)

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Stekelenburg; Riether, Senderos, Amorebieta, Richardson; Kasami, Parker, Sidwell, Duff; Ruiz; Berbatov.
Out: Briggs (hernia).
Tests: Hangeland (leg), Ruiz (back), Hughes (thigh).

Referee: Andre Marriner (Matches 6 R2 Y23)

Betting: Home 6-10, Away 9-2, Draw 3-1.

Team News Midfielder Steven Davis is a doubt for Southampton's match against Fulham at St Mary's.

The Northern Ireland captain picked up a knock in the draw against Manchester United last weekend and he faces a late fitness test.

Midfielder Gaston Ramirez could return to the squad after missing out last weekend.

Captain Brede Hangeland is expected to miss Fulham's game against Southampton on Saturday because of a nerve injury in his leg.

Manager Martin Jol said the centre-back will probably sit out the game at St Mary's while midfielder Bryan Ruiz is doubtful because of a back injury.

Defender Aaron Hughes could make his first appearance since August 31 if he overcomes a thigh injury, but full-back Matthew Briggs (hernia) is still out.

Match Notes Something unusual happened at Old Trafford last weekend - Southampton conceded a goal. That was only the third time Mauricio Pochettino's defence has been breached in the league, the division's best defensive record, and a 1-1 draw at the home of the champions suggested Saints' bubble is not yet ready to burst. Fulham arrive with renewed confidence after successive victories and with a taste for the spectacular after Pajtim Kasami and Steve Sidwell's memorable goals at Crystal Palace on Monday.

Stat of the game: 30 Southampton's 15-point tally from their opening eight games is their best return in a top-flight season for 30 years.

Ian Winrow's prediction: 2-0.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10396798/Southampton-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

'You're not Maradona!': Fulham boss Jol keeping Kasami grounded after wonder goal

Martin Jol is keeping Pajtim Kasami's feet on the ground after his rocket goal against Crystal Palace his by telling him: 'You're not Diego Maradona.'

The Fulham manager revealed his Swiss forward used to be such a perfectionist he would feel sick when he made a mistake but has since realised his abilities will take time to hone.

Jol also lauded the 21-year-old's loan spell at FC Luzern at the end of last season, which only came after the he took a 50 per cent wage cut.

VIDEO: Watch Martin Jol speak after Fulham's impressive 4-1 win over Crystal Palace

Goal of the season? Pajtim Kasami celebrates after his wonder strike against Crystal Palace

Fulham's Manager speaks to press after impressive win

Jol said: 'That was incredible because he wanted to play. Luzern had a very good, itchy player when he went over there. That was the first time in my career that I experienced that.

'We paid 50 per cent and the other club were supposed to pay the other half, but they didn't, so he paid the other 50.'

Jol added: 'I always tell him: "You're not Maradona". He's a perfectionist so he's always very disappointed in himself. That was the first thing we had to work on.

'I taught him not to fight for perfectionism and he did that. He's not sickened when he makes a mistake, he will go on and play.

Impressed: Martin Jol has praised Kasami for taking a 50% paycut to go out on loan with Luzern

Different league: Kasami still has a way to go before he's considered anywhere near Diego Maradona

'He needs to keep his feet on the ground. He's a very level-headed boy.'
Kasami, who spent a season at Palermo in Serie A before moving to Craven Cottage in 2011, has been linked with Juventus in recent weeks but Jol scoffed: 'He's still not the best player in England, but I think in two or three years he could be a big player.
'Then maybe Juventus can come here and pay a lot of money for him. That would be good for everyone!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2476922/Fulham-boss-Martin-Jol-keeping-Pajtim-Kasami-grounded-wonder-goal.html#ixzz2ioLHRnjh
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham football club address skills shortfall with cloud database

Fulham football club's IT team is moving its database infrastructure to the cloud with a database as a service implementation.

Fulham FC uses various databases supporting business applications and, after identifying a shortage of the right skills in-house, it decided to outsource.

Spencer Haywood, head of IT at Fulham FC, said recruitment, re-skilling and training would have been expensive with no guarantee of success.

"The recruitment process to find the required resource was lengthy to ensure value for money, so we looked to outsource this particular service to avoid the risk and expense of recruiting, re-skilling and training up new employees," he said.

Fulham FC chose a database as a service offering from supplier Carrenza.

The cloud-based service also provides the IT team with visibility through monitoring, as well as the ability to scale up and down in line with seasonal changes in activity.

Carrenza will be looking after Fulham FC's business-critical Microsoft SQL stack of databases, many of which play a critical role in the business activities of the organisation.

The database applications Carrenza will manage include ticketing solutions, stadium access controls and financial systems.

Other smaller databases will be managed to support areas such as player medical databases.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240207863/Fulham-football-club-address-skills-shortfall-with-cloud-database?