more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (26/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 26, 2013, 07:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Southampton v Fulham: Squad sheets

All the talk this week has been about Pajtim Kasami and his homage to Marco van Basten but, while Fulham have stolen the limelight, the most impressive recent performance was Southampton's point at Old Trafford. Mauricio Pochettino's side have three wins in their last four games and they will be confident that their blend of steely defence and high-octane pressing can sustain their momentum. Joe Sykes

Kick-off Saturday 5.30pm

Venue St Mary's Stadium

Last season Southampton 2 Fulham 2

Live Sky Sports 1

Referee A Marriner

This season G6, Y23, R2, 4.5 cards per game

Odds H 8-13 A 11-2 D 3-1

Southampton v Fulham: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light.
Illustration: Graphic

Southampton

Subs from K Davis, Gazzaniga, Fox, Yoshida, S Davis, Ward-Prowse, Cork, Lee, Do Prado, Chambers, Hooiveld, Ramírez, Stephens

Doubtful S Davis (knock)

Injured None

Suspended None

Form DWWWDL

Discipline Y11 R0

Leading scorers Lallana, Lambert 2

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Stockdale, Riise, Senderos, Hughes, Boateng, Taarabt, Karagounis, Ruiz, Zverotic, Rodallega, Duff, Dejagah

Doubtful Hangeland (leg nerve), Hughes (thigh), Ruiz (back)

Injured Briggs (hernia, 2 Nov)

Suspended None

Form WWLLDL

Discipline Y12 R0

Leading scorers Bent, Kasami, Sidwell 2

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/25/southampton-fulham-squad-sheets

WhiteJC

Premier League preview: Southampton v Fulham

Martin Jol's Fulham travel to the south coast to take on a Southampton side that have the second best defensive league record in Europe. The Saints have only conceded three goals in the Premier League since the start of the season, with Roma only conceded one to better Mauricio Pochettino's team.

The Whites arrive at St Mary's on a winning run of two, with a 1-0 over Stoke at Craven Cottage and a 4-1 thumping over Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park – including two stunning goals from Pajtim Kasami and Steve Sidwell. Kasami's strike on Monday night is a goal of the season contender already, with Jol claiming his midfielder's volley was better than that of Marco van Basten's against the USSR in the Euro 88 final.

That win has injected a bit of confidence into the west London club, with 6.60 the odds for a Fulham win on Saturday. Southampton though are brimming with confidence too having got a superb away draw at Old Trafford last week thanks to a late Adam Lallana goal. The south coast club have only lost once this season and are unbeaten at home, with 1.60 the price for Pochettino's side to get the win.

Southampton's last win over Fulham came in 2002 as they beat the Whites 4-2 at home. Since then Fulham have remained undefeated against the Saints winning two and drawing seven of their meetings, however the Cottager's last win in Southampton came in 1998. Overall, there's been 21 draws between these sides, with 4.20 the price to make it 22.

Steven Davis is doubt for the home side, while Rickie Lambert might be recalled to the starting line-up after he was dropped to the bench for the game against United.

Fulham's Bryan Ruiz could be out with a back injury while Brede Hangeland is unlikely to play because of a sciatic nerve problem.

http://blog.marathonbet.com/?p=4223

WhiteJC

Preview: Southampton v Fulham – Can The Saints Keep Up Their Defensive Heroics?

Southampton v Fulham
Date: Saturday 26th September

Venue: St Mary's Stadium

K.O: 17.15

Southampton will look to keep their good run of form going, a run that includes last week's draw at Old Trafford but they face a stiff challenge from Fulham who hammered Crystal Palace 4-1 on Monday night.

Team News:
Southampton
Mauricio Pochettino's only worry is Steven Davis however he should recover from a knock in time for Saturday.

Fulham
Fulham have a number of injuries and minor knocks that should be overcome by the time kick off comes around. Brede Hangeland, Bryan Ruiz, Matthew Briggs and Aaron Hughes are those who could miss out.

Recent Form:

Southampton have only lost one game this season and find themselves unbeaten in the last four league games. A 1-1 draw away to Manchester United and a 1-0 victory at Anfield have been part of this run of form which sees the Saints sixth in the Premier League.

Their defence is their strongest point with three clean sheets and just one goal conceded in the last four games.

Fulham's form has improved in the last couple of weeks with victories over Stoke City and Crystal Palace which ended a five match winless streak stretching back to the second game of the season.

They are also looking dangerous going forward with six goals in their last four matches.

Players to Watch
Southampton – Dejan Lovren
Of Southampton's three big money summer signings the Croatia international has by far been the best. He has been in excellent form in the division's best defence while Victor Wanyama and especially Pablo Osvaldo have yet to really hit their stride.

The centre back has won 16 of the 20 tackles he has contested, an impressive 80% and is dominant in the air winning 73% of areal duels.

His Squawka Performance Score of 322 makes him the best defender in the Premier League, ahead of Leighton Baines and John Terry who score slightly less, 319.

Lovren also completes 80% of passes and averages two interceptions per match.

He has one goal this season, the winner against Liverpool. During that match he also won two thirds of tackles and headers.

Fulham – Pajtim Kasami
Martin Jol may have been overly hyperbolic by describing Kasami's wonder strike against Crystal Palace as better than Marco Van Basten's famous Holland goal however the effort was certainly worthy of the plaudits it received.

It also brought to the fore the good form the midfielder has been in this season. He has the club's second highest Performance Score of 134. From midfield he has scored twice with 64% of his shots hitting the target.

His pass accuracy is 77% and he has created four chances while he has also won 77% of tackles which makes him a decent all round player.

Prediction
Normal service will be resumed for both clubs with Southampton picking up a clean sheet and Fulham going back to losing ways.

Pochettino's front line will finally click and a relative hammering will be on the cards.

Southampton 3-0 Fulham

http://squawka.com/news/2013/10/25/southampton-v-fulham/2013102529084?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Southampton v Fulham match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's Premier League fixture at St Marys Stadium

Southampton host Fulham in Saturday's evening kick-off riding a wave of momentum with their unbeaten home record proving they are tough to beat this season.

Mauricio Pochettino's side have won two and drawn two of their home matches so far this term in an excellent start to the season. But Fulham will be no push over as they also have some confidence with their 4 – 1 victory over Crystal Palace on Monday night leading to Ian Holloway leaving the club on Wednesday.

This fixture could prove an important battle to gain points as these two teams could fall down into the relegation battle come the end of the season. There is good news for Saints fans ahead of tomorrow's clash as midfielder Gaston Ramirez could return to the squad after missing out last weekend's 1 – 1 draw against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Last three meetings...

Southampton 2(Jose Fonte2) Fulham2 (Jos Hoovield (OG), Kieran Richardson1), Premier League, October 2012.

Fulham 1(Dimitar Berbatov1) Southampton 1(Rickie Lambert (pen), Premier League, December 2012.

Southampton 3 (Phillips 2, Rosenior) Fulham 3 (Boupa Diop, Malbranque, Radzinski) Premier League, January 2005.

Stats...

Southampton have the best defence in the Premier League conceding just 3 goals in 8 games.

After Pochettino's appointment in January Southampton failed to beat 6 of last season's bottom half, but gained 12 points from 9 games against the top half of the table.

Berbatov's goal on Monday was his first in the Premier League this season.

Despite both sides being separated by 7 teams and Southampton having an extra 38 shots, Fulham have scored more goals (9) than their opponents (8).

The last three meetings between the two sides have always ended in score-draws.

Match odds...

Southampton: 1.64   

Fulham: 6.8   

Draw: 4.1   

TV: Live on Sky Sports 1 5.30pm. Highlights on BBC 1 at 10.20pm.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-southampton-v-fulham-match-preview-8905007.html

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham midfielder Scott Parker is hoping to play in the World Cup

Fulham midfielder Scott Parker retains hopes of making it into Roy Hodgson's World Cup squad after settling into life at Craven Cottage.

Parker joined the club from Tottenham on a free transfer in August and has been an ever-present in Martin Jol's side this season.

"Hopefully I can get into Roy Hodgson's plans, or even a squad, you never know," he told Weekend Warm-Up.

"I realise it will be difficult but we have qualified for the World Cup. I need to have a big season and if I can, there may just be a possibility."

The 33-year-old also admitted he has had to change the way he trains and prepares as he gets older in order to stay at the top of his game.

"I've settled in well here, it is a lovely club. It brings back memories of how I was brought up at Charlton and at West Ham," he added.

"But you have to take more time to prepare to train and the same with warming up. In terms of the way I'm playing and my role in the team, I don't think that has changed drastically.

"But on a day-to-day basis, my resting, recovery time, stuff like that has changed due to getting older."

Parker also added to the praise for Pajtim Kasami's wonder-strike in Monday night's 4-1 win at Crystal Palace.

"To bring the ball down on his chest and to put it in a position where he can volley it like he did is something very special," said Parker.

"In the back of my mind I'm thinking don't shoot but then he goes and does what he did. It was a fantastic goal and he deserves full recognition for that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8991398?

WhiteJC

Preview: A Better Late Than Never Look at Southampton v Fulham

Fulham dismantled Crystal Palace last weekend, but face a much sterner test away to Southampton Saturday. Have Martin Jol's men finally begun to turn the corner, or was the Crystal Palace result a cruel and temporary respite from the malaise?

Fulham travel to St. Mary's Saturday riding the high of a 4-1 destruction of Crystal Palace. Said destruction was not without caveats however, and while the Fulham faithful are hoping fluid, attacking football has arisen from its Snow White-esque slumber on the boots of Martin Jol's men, Southampton present an altogether more robust challenge to what can hardly yet be described as a Fulham rebirth.

Mauricio Pochettino has Southampton purring like a finely tuned sport sedan. At the beginning of the season, I picked Swansea as my not-so-dark dark horse to challenge the traditional front runners' for the upper echelons of the Premier League, but Britain's other south coasters are the side looking most likely to crash the party.

Southampton currently sit 6th in the league on 15 points and have generally played some of the most fluid, pleasing attacking football of the 2013/14 campaign. That said, Fulham are only 5 points behind Southampton through 8 matches and have a chance Saturday to consolidate the momentum they earned against Crystal Palace and stake a claim to actually turning the proverbial corner.

This is not to say Fulham have to win or even draw Saturday's match. A competent, balanced display defined by confidence and purpose in attack and a disciplined, difficult-to-break-down defensive effort would signal that Martin Jol and his charges, buoyed by the Crystal Palace result, are all finally reading from the same script; that Fulham are not in fact flat track bullies capable of dismantling the cellar-dwellars but consigned to be the whipping boys of the clubs further from relegation danger.

In order to accomplish this modest task, Fulham have to limit Adam Lallana's touches and ability to combine down the right flank with either an overlapping Nathaniel Clyne or inside/out running Daniel (Pablo..Dani Pablo...Pablo Dani?) Osvaldo.

Pochettino's preferred deployment of Southampton has been a 4-2-3-1 formation with Victor Wanyama and Morgan Schneiderlin sitting in behind Jay Rodriguez, Steven Davis, Daniel Osvaldo, and Adam Lallana. In this formation, the onus for providing width falls to Luke Shaw and Nathaniel Clyne who have thus far done exceedingly well in accomplishing this task.

Look at last weekend's 1-1 draw against Manchester United. Adam Lallana competed 91% of his passes, including 13/14 in the attacking third, and his most popular target and provider was Nathaniel Clyne.

In order to combat this pattern of attack, it is difficult to imagine Jol fielding the same XI he deployed against Crystal Palace, where Sacha Reither and Kieran Richardson were largely counted on to provide width and Bryan Ruiz and Pajtim Kasami pinched in to get on the ball and make outside/in runs. Fulham's left side, specifically Kieran Richardson and whoever Jol decides to run out on the left side of midfield, will have their hands full preventing Clyne from getting forward while at the same time limiting Adam Lallana's ability to check to the right flank and get on the ball.

Worst case scenario: Richardson, Jol's choice at left sided midfielder, and Scott Parker and/or Steve Sidwell are constantly pulled to the left side of the field to deal with Clyne and Lallana and the side becomes unbalanced horizontally through midfield. Southampton are more than capable of quickly switching the point of attack and playing in attackers on the Fulham right side.

Fulham therefore have to maintain defensive shape and force Southampton to play across the face of the defense. I suspect Jol will field only one striker (if you have to ask, it's Berbatov) and rely on a five man midfield to even up the numbers in Pochettino's 4-2-3-1.

In all honesty, I wouldn't hate seeing Parker, Sidwell, and Derek Boateng on the pitch at the same time. I just do not think any combination of Ruiz, Kasami, and Berbatov has the discipline to track every run and help put out every fire over the course of 90 minutes at St. Mary's. And that's exactly what it's going to take for Fulham to get anything from this match.

Is it onward and upward? Or was Crystal Palace a false dawn?

I'm hoping for the latter.

COYW!

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/10/25/5029146/preview-a-better-late-than-never-look-at-southampton-v-fulham?

WhiteJC

Fulham's man of moment Kasami took wage cut to play for Cottagers, says boss Jol

Fulham boss Martin Jol has revealed how striker Pajtim Kasami took a 50 per cent pay cut before becoming a Premier League star with his wonder goal against Crystal Palace last Monday.

The 21-year-old Swiss star had a spell on loan at FC Luzern at the end of last season and Jol said: 'We paid 50 per cent of the wages and the other club were supposed to pay the other half, but they didn't, so he paid the other 50.

'That was incredible because he wanted to play. Luzern had a very good, itchy player when he went over there. That was the first time in my career that I experienced that.'

Pointing to success: Fulham's Pajtim Kasami celebrates scoring his wonder goal against Crystal Palace

Revelation: Fulham boss Martin Jol said Kasami took a pay cut to sign for the club

The Fulham manager also revealed that Kasami was such a perfectionist he would feel sick when he made a mistake but has realised his abilities will take time to hone.

Jol added: 'I always tell him: "You're not Maradona". He's a perfectionist so he's always very disappointed in himself. That was the first thing we had to work on.

'I taught him not to fight for perfectionism and he did that. He's not sickened when he makes a mistake, he will go on and play.
'He needs to keep his feet on the ground. He's a very level-headed boy.'

Clap happy: Kasami acknowledges the travelling Fulham fans following their 4-1 victory over Crystal Palace

Kasami, who spent a season at Palermo in Serie A before moving to Craven Cottage in 2011, has been linked with Juventus in recent weeks but Jol scoffed: 'He's still not the best player in England, but I think in two or three years he could be a big player.

'Then maybe Juventus can come here and pay a lot of money for him. That would be good for everyone!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2477115/Pajtim-Kasami-took-wage-cut-play-Fulham-says-Martin-Jol.html#ixzz2ioP4XYJ2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham plan to offer new deal to Kasami

Whites to open talks with Swiss star in the second half of the season

Fulham plan to open contract talks with rising star Pajtim Kasami in the new year.

The former Palermo youngster has cemented a place in Martin Jol's starting XI after two years trying to make the grade at Craven Cottage.

Kasami grabbed the headlines this week with his stunning volley against Crystal Palace, compared to Marco van Basten's legendary strike by his boss.

His exploits have earned the 21-year-old a call-up to the Switzerland senior squad and even attracted the attention of Serie A giants Juventus.

Kasami still has more than 18 months to run on his deal, but Jol would like to tie him to a longer contract.

"He's still not the best player in England, but I think in two or three years he could be a big player," said the Dutchman.

"Then maybe Juventus can come here and pay a lot of money for him. That would be good for everyone!

"There will be a situation in five or six months time that we have to talk and extend his contract."

Jol added: "He needs to keep his feet on the ground. He's a very level-headed boy.

"I told him to count his blessings and to be happy at that age playing Premier League football.

"He's got a very good shot and free-kick, so if he works hard he will be more and more important for us."

Kasami has made just 10 league starts for the Cottagers since his move to west London in 2011.

The Macedonian-born midfielder featured just three times last season, but a successful stint at Swiss side Lucerne in the second half of the campaign paved the way to the Fulham first team.

However, the move hit Kasami in the pocket after taking a 50 per cent pay cut to broker the deal.

"He was the first player I know who went on loan that paid his own wages," said Jol.

"We paid 50 per cent and the other club were supposed to pay the other half, but they didn't.

"That was incredible because he wanted to play. Lucerne had a very good, itchy player when he went over there. That was the first time in my career that I experienced that.

"The likes of Kyle Walker and Andros Townsend played for other clubs then came back and did well. Now Townsend is the one I go to the stadium for. He makes things happen for his team, and Kasami's the same."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-plan-offer-new-deal-6243625?

WhiteJC

Three wins in a row?

That's Fulham's task Saturday -- and a tough one it is too at Southampton, where the Saints are really flying. What a contrast in their fortunes over the past 12 months, and from Fulham's last journey down the M3 to St. Mary's in October 2012.

The sides shared four goals that afternoon, as with Nigel Adkins at the helm the promoted side could not stop shipping goals. It was 24 from their first eight games, and sadly for Adkins the board lost faith with him before he could turn things around.

Now at Reading -- who Adkins masterminded to a splendid victory over the Whites at the Cottage during their miserable 'Spring of Discontent' -- Adkins may feel somewhat hard done by to have been jettisoned so quickly. Here was the man who had taken the Saints into the Premiership with two back-to-back promotions. But he was fired last January with the club three points outside the relegation places.

Such fine margins between success and failure in the top flight. Having exited the Premier League in 2005 and then gone into administration in April 2009 lumbered by £30 million of debt to service the impressive new stadium build, Southampton fans have been on a recent journey as heady as Fulham followers in the early years of Mohamed al Fayed's tenure.

There's a friendly rivalry between the clubs, and most of us fans have enjoyed away days to the old Dell and the new ground too, while Saints at the Cottage are always welcome visitors. The Southampton board have been utterly vindicated in their actions, as Mauricio Pochettino has bought cleverly, tightened the defence and improved the team in every way. Evidence of that came at Old Trafford a week ago when they came away with a draw -- this after leaving England man Rickie Lambert on the bench.

Going into Saturday's game, Fulham, if they are to make it three wins on the spin for the first time in 18 months, are going to have to pierce one of the meanest defences in the league. And fragile as the Whites have been in conceding late on, their opponents have been making a habit of scoring in the last 10 minutes this season. With the home side perched sixth place, five points better off than Fulham, the odds say home win.

I'm going for a draw, the result from the teams' last two meetings. While Martin Jol's side still have some way to go to convince the doubters, it is vital Fulham build on Monday night's Palace romp. People are saying without the two blinding strikes from Pajtim Kasami and Steve Sidwell that night, Fulham might have been struggling to take a point. I can see their case.

Fulham remain without a master craftsman in midfield to unpick the opposition. Drills that reinforce the pass-and-move mentality plus ways to speed up play -- and crucially, feed Darren Bent the kind of service he thrives on, are still to be honed. Much criticism has been heaped on Dimitar Berbatov's shoulders lately for playing way too deep. On Monday he touched the ball more than any other man in White -- how telling is that? Never mind what that t-shirt said last Christmas -- I'm sending him a new one. 'Dimi get in the box'.

From the club we hear skipper Brede Hangeland needs time to sort out a sciatic nerve problem. Once upon a time this would have me fretting. Not now. The defensive back line that served Fulham so well Monday will do just fine for me. I like Fernando Amorebieta the more I see of him, while Philippe Senderos is in the Fulham form of his life.

The other absentee is likely to be Bryan Ruiz with a back strain. Not being a fan of his, this does not trouble me either. Apart perhaps from the thought that Jol, especially as Fulham are away, may react conservatively and start Damien Duff. I am wondering if we shall ever see another first-team goal from the veteran Irishman?

Jol played a bold hand at Palace -- Bent, Berbatov, Kasami and Ruiz all starting. Fulham lack wingers at present. Is it because they are all no good, or because Martin has no faith in them? So if Fulham are looking to play narrow, there has to be plenty of movement off the ball. Giving Scott Parker no options but to keep rolling it square to the full backs gets Fulham nowhere.

Defeat does not spell a return in irons to the dungeons for our manager while the fans re-stock on supplies of rotten fruit. But a tough run of fixtures beckons. The fans need clear signs the side are on an upward spiral, and part of that process requires the gaffer to sometimes admit he is wrong, while listening to the opinions of others. A handshake for every staff member in the dugout at Palace on the final whistle? Now we've not seen that before. COYW!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1464?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol tells Juventus they must wait to sign Pajtim Kasami

JUVENTUS have been told to forget about signing Fulham's Pajtim Kasami for now.

The Switzerland midfielder scored a goal-of-the-season contender in Monday's 4-1 win over Crystal Palace, catching the eye of Juventus.

However, Fulham boss Martin Jol said: "Kasami is still not the best player in England, but in two or three years he could be a big player. Then maybe Juventus can come here and pay a lot of money for him. That'd be good for everyone."

Jol, whose side play Southampton tonight, is also pleased with Kasami's attitude.

Jol said: "Kasami was the first player who went on loan who paid his own wages.

"That was incredible. Lucerne had a very good player when he went over there. That was the first time in my career I experienced that. We paid 50 per cent and the other club were supposed to pay the other half, but they didn't, so he paid."

And another player singled out for praise by his manager is Saints midfielder James Ward-Prowse.

Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino said: "James Ward-Prowse is basically an example of the player we are promoting, the player we want to have in this club.

"In every training session he gives 100 per cent. He always has an immediate impact in what he does and is a player who is growing. He is a figurehead of the sort of player we are looking for ."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/439242/Fulham-manager-Martin-Jol-tells-Juventus-they-must-wait-to-sign-Pajtim-Kasami

WhiteJC

Southampton v Fulham

By Conor McNamara
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: St Mary's Date: Saturday, 26 October

Southampton will assess midfielder Steven Davis, who suffered a minor injury in training this week.

Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino must decide whether to recall Rickie Lambert, who began on the bench in the 1-1 draw at Manchester United.

Fulham midfielder Bryan Ruiz is doubtful with a back injury, having required a pain-killing injection after Monday's win at Crystal Palace.

Brede Hangeland is unlikely to play because of a sciatic nerve problem.

MATCH PREVIEW
Amid this week's heated discussions about commissions, autobiographies and international eligibility criteria, Southampton and Fulham reminded us of what most people actually love about football.

Peripheral distractions like scandals and fall-outs will always tease and titillate. Concepts like "singing sections" and "whether someone is a "top player" or even a "top, top player" generally amuse or frustrate.

However, it is moments like Pajtim Kasami's goal against Crystal Palace that makes youngsters swoon and old men feel young again.

The pace, technique and audacity shown are what this game is all about. Kids don't grow up dreaming of sitting on commissions or writing controversial autobiographies - they dream of scoring a goal like that.

Or perhaps a goal like Adam Lallana's at Old Trafford. It might not have had the aesthetic marvel of Kasami's effort, but the context - a last-minute equaliser at Manchester United - was right out of the pages of a comic book.

Overall, it's not been a bad week to be a supporter of either of these clubs.

Southampton won a point at Old Trafford with the kind of resilient performance that Sir Alex Ferguson would have been proud of in his heyday.

It was no flash in the pan for Mauricio Pochettino's team. Lallana's strike was already the fourth time this season that Southampton found the net in the last 10 minutes of a Premier League game.

Fulham scored four times against Palace and anyone who was at Selhurst Park on Monday will be telling their grandkids they were present when Kasami conjured up his wonder volley. Steve Sidwell's wasn't bad either.

We will always have gossip and sideshow in football. However, even in the cut-throat world of the modern game, a week like Southampton and Fulham have enjoyed reminds us where the sport's true excitement comes from.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
This match could end 0-0 judging by the pattern of recent encounters. The last meeting finished 1-1, and was preceded by 2-2 and 3-3 draws.

Saturday will mark 78 years to the day since Fulham's only previous league win at Southampton. That was a 2-1 victory in a Division Two game on 26 October 1935.

Southampton
Seven of Saints' eight league goals this season have been scored in the second half, with four netted in the final 10 minutes of matches.
They have only lost three of their last 20 games in all competitions.
Their tally of three goals conceded is the lowest in the Premier League. At this stage last season they had let in 24 league goals.
Serie A leaders Roma (one goal conceded) are the only side in one of the top five European leagues with a better defensive record than Saints.
Southampton's haul of 15 points from their opening eight games represents their best start to a top-flight campaign since 1983-84, when they had 17 points at this stage. That season they ended in second place behind Liverpool.

Fulham
Victory would give Fulham three successive league wins for the first time since February-March 2012, when they beat Stoke, QPR and then Wolves.
Only Arsenal and Tottenham (three) have won more Premier League away games than Fulham (two) this season.
Dimitar Berbatov had 79 touches against Crystal Palace on Monday, more than any other Fulham player. In contrast, strike partner Darren Bent touched the ball only 13 times

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24591247

WhiteJC

Monaco coach and former Fulham star Sylvain Legwinski in running for Forest Green job

THE SNJ understands AS Monaco assistant coach and former Fulham star Sylvain Legwinski  is in the running to land the  job as manager of Forest Green.

Frenchman Legwinski,40, joined AS Monaco  youth system at 18 under and broke into the first team under Arsène Wenger.

He developed into a midfield force under Jean Tigana's guidance, scoring nine league goals in 1996–97, as Monaco won the national title.

Legwinski teamed-up again with  Tigana at Fulham in a  £3.3million switch from Bordeaux   under former chairman Mohamed Al Fayed.

At the beginning of the 2006–07 season, new Fulham boss Chris Coleman made it clear that Legwinski did not fit into the side's future plans and, in August 2006, following a successful trial with Ipswich Town, the player signed a two-year contract.

Legwinski screamer vs Newcastle

In his first year at the club, Legwinksi won the supporter's and manager's Player of the Year Award for 2006–07.

However, Legwinski found himself out of the picture for much of the following season, still managing to find the net twice, in draws against Queen's Park Rangers and Burnley.

Due to the team's extensive midfield, he was told he would not be offered a new contract and, as Town team-mate Fabian Wilnis, started looking to the future, working towards his coaching badges.

In September 2008, Legwinski underwent an unsuccessful trial with Swedish team IFK Göteborg. Early in the following year, he had another tryout in the country, with Örgryte IS, which had just won promotion to the top flight.

In March 2009, Legwinski joined St Neots Town as a player/assistant manager, joining player-manager Steve Lomas.

Shortly after, definitely retired, he moved to Crystal Palace as a youth coach before returning to Monaco as a coach.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/sport/10764011._/?

WhiteJC

Squad Sheets: Southampton vs Fulham

Both teams come into this fixture on the back of impressive results in the last round of Premier League fixtures.

A last minute equalizer from skipper Adam Lallana handed the Saints a draw against champions Manchester United.
Lallana produced another impressive performance to continue knocking on the door of England manager Roy Hodgson. The Saints academy graduate completed a pass in Manchester United's half every 3.3 minutes.

Without looking at the statistics, one would be forgiven for presuming that Saints were clinging on against the Red Devils, and a resolute defensive performance kept the champions at bay. However, the statistics tell a totally different story. According to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, Morgan Schneiderlin totally bossed the game – completing more passes in the opposition half than any other player on the pitch (30). To emphasise the Saints dominance, Adam Lallana was the player who completed the second most (27)

Southampton invested a lot of money in the signature of Croatian Dejan Lovren this Summer, but he is certainly proving to be worth the investment. The centre half has attempted 21 challenges this season, and completed a staggering 95% of them.

Pablo Osvaldo may have only scored once so far this season, but he certainly hasn't been afraid to get stuck in. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index highlights that he has completed an impressive 88.9% of his challenges this term.

Strike partner Rickie Lambert may have been dropped to the bench against Manchester United, but his offensive worth to the Southampton team should not be overlooked. The England international has made 135 attacking contributions this season (based on shots, crosses, dribbles and passes in the opposition half). This is more than any other Saints player.

A wonder-goal from Pajtim Kasami helped Fulham on their way to an impressive 4-1 victory over strugglers Crystal Palace.

Steve Sidwell may feel slightly aggrieved that his exquisite volley has been practically ignored, due to the quality of Kasami's strike. However, Sidwell should at least be comforted by the fact that he produced a solid defensive display to help Fulham on their way to victory. The ex-Reading man completed 7 of his 8 challenges against Crystal Palace.

A challenge for Martin Jol will be attempting to work out how to get the best out of Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov. Thus far, it seems that Jol will look to play Berbatov in a slightly withdrawn role, allowing him to thread passes into the channels for Bent to run on to. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index shows that Berbatov appeared to warm to this new role, as he completed 37 passes in Crystal Palace's half.

This was more than any of his teammates. 

Bryan Ruiz was a creative lynchpin against Crystal Palace, registering 3 assists. These were Ruiz' first assists of the season, which is surprising considering he has completed a pass in the opposition half every 4 minutes so far this term. 

Scott Parker may prove to be the catalyst in Fulham's push for a comfortable top half finish this season, as the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index demonstrates that he has been effective at both ends of the pitch. Not only has Parker won an impressive 82% of his tackles this campaign, he has also completed more passes in the opposition half than any other Fulham player (156)

http://threeandin.com/?p=29376

WhiteJC

Can Fulham breach the best defensive record in the league?

Today's late kick-off features two in-form and confident sides. Southampton and Fulham not only managed positive and unlikely results in their previous leaguegames, but each produced a moment that every football fan has daydreamed about many times. Don't deny it.

Adam Lallana's stoppage-time equaliser at Old Trafford last Saturday summarised the Saints' start to the season. They now sit in sixth place, above Everton in seventh, and Manchester United themselves in eighth, and their supporters would laugh in your face if you told them they would finish anywhere other than the top half this season.

But we all know that the Premier League isn't as easy as that. Granted, their only loss was away at a much-improved Tottenham, but there's a long way to go yet, and no doubt they'll become the subject of some shock losses themselves at some point.

It could come as early as Saturday night. Southampton will go in as favourites, but after Pajtim Kasami's wonder goal in Fulham's 4-1 drubbing of Crystal Palace on Monday, the whites will feel as though anything is possible. And maybe it is, now that Fulham are scoring four goals in Premier League away matches.

Mauricio Pochettino will be telling his players the same thing, but the Saints ought not to get complacent. A Fulham win will see the gap between the two sides close to just two points, something which seemed impossible just a couple of weeks ago, and goes to show just how unpredictable the Premier League can be.

I never thought I'd say it, but Fulham have recorded more away wins than home wins this season. Actually, they have recorded more away wins than 17 other top flight clubs going into this weekend; only Arsenal and Spurs, with three away wins each, can top Fulham's two, so Southampton's home advantage doesn't count for as much as it once might have.

When two happy sets of players (I'm pretty sure I saw Dimitar Berbatov smile in Fulham's win at Palace) with plenty to play for meet, you'd expect an exciting game, but recent head-to-head stats suggest otherwise. Their last meeting ended 1-1, the meeting before that finished 2-2, and that was preceded by a 3-3 draw. What this all leads towards is a 0-0 draw, which wouldn't be a surprise without that statistic.

Southampton have the best defensive record in the league, having conceded just three goals, and the second best defensive record in Europe, behind Serie A leaders Roma, who've conceded just one. And after Fulham took the lead at Selhurst Park, they defended any Palace threat with ease due to solid away performances from each of the back line.

We're in for a classy but aggressive encounter between two sides playing football with confidence and passion. I wouldn't rule out a goalless draw, and I might even bet on a draw of some sort, but goals don't necessarily make for a good game of football.

http://threeandin.com/?p=29331

WhiteJC

Premier League: Shahid Khan would welcome 39th game but he won't push for it

Fulham owner Shahid Khan insists that he will not be one of those pushing for the 39th game again, although he maintains it is a good idea.

American-based Khan is a big fan of Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore, who helped come up with the plan of an extra game in 2008 before the idea was dropped in 2010.

The 39th game idea remains talked about, and Khan admits he would back it - but he won't be pushing for it.

"Right now that would be blasphemous for me," Khan told the Daily Telegraph.

"I've been in this league what three months, four months? It would be heresy to suggest something like that.

"I spoke to Scudamore and he said 'I still have scars from the 39th game'.

"I think there will be a time but it's not right now. It makes sense.

"I thought it was a very, very ingenious plan that he had and eventually it would make sense but it has to make sense to everybody.

"It can't just make sense to one person."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8992230/?

WhiteJC

Saturday Football Spotlight: Fulham's Pajtim Kasami

As Fulham prepare to face Southampton in today's late kick-off, Vincent Ralph turns the spotlight on Pajtim Kasami.

So much has already been written about Pajtim Kasami's wonder-strike against Crystal Palace last week that another article about it seems redundant.

That is why I am not writing about the goal. I am writing about the man who scored it.

This is the 21-year-old's third season at Craven Cottage, and yet it is only now that the wider footballing community are taking notice of a player Martin Jol believes can be among the very best.

The only problem is, with just 18 months left on his current deal, that strike has changed a few things.

With rumours of circling big guns, the Macedonian may soon feel the urge – or at least the pressure – to leave Craven Cottage. But Jol believes it is the best place for him.

"He needs to keep his feet on the ground," his manager said. "He's a very level-headed boy."

One superstar-strike does not automatically make a superstar; it can just as easily announce a flash-in-the-pan. And starting in today's late kick-off against Southampton, the player must show he can do both the great and the good, and that he can do it regularly.

If he does so, perhaps Fulham will be unable to keep hold of him, or perhaps he will see they are the club that allowed him to blossom, and reward them with a long-term commitment of his own.

In a sense Kasami has made a rod for his own back, in that sublime strikes will now be expected of him on at least a semi-regular basis. But in truth the far more important job is to help the Cottagers up the table.

A goal against an all-but-impenetrable Southampton defence this evening will be another step in the right direction.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/10/26/saturday-football-spotlight-fulhams-pajtim-kasami/?