watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why should Jol stay?

Started by Jimpav, October 26, 2013, 11:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

A knee jerk sacking of Jol is not going to change a thing. You can´t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. No new manager is suddenly going to get the players we have do things they are not capable of doing. There is no magic wand available. Berbatov is not going to run around like a spring chicken. Senderos is not ever going to get caught out of position. Ruiz is never going to be caught in possession et sec.
Jol has nothing to lose by taking a calculated risk & give Dembele, Tarrabt & Kaka a go together in place of Berbatov, Bent & Ruiz. Central defence is more of a problem for Jol. The heart of central defence now has clogged arteries. Senderos, Hughes, Hangeland & Amorebieta is all we have got.
Where there's a will there's a wife

TonyGilroy

It's very difficult, even impossible, to lure big name IN work managers during the season.

We'll be a much bigger prospect in the summer IF we stay up. As things stand that's not something I'd bet on but replacing Tweedledum with Tweedledee won't help.

Logicalman

As mentioned on another thread of his name, perhaps a candidate could be Kit Symons?

Furby

Quote from: Aaron on October 27, 2013, 04:57:35 PM
Quote from: Nero on October 27, 2013, 04:47:01 PM
We have a very rich man in charge just because  he hasn't spent yet it doesn't mean he won't you might be surprised who would  want to manage us.

A Team in one of the richest leagues in the world
A rich owner is he the 6th richest in the usa
In the capital of England
Established in the premier
Some half decent players
A good  youth set up

1,4,5 and 6 won't mean an awful lot if we go down though.  Also, he might have a lot of money but I am still uncertain as to Khan's motives with the Jaguars, let alone us.  He seems to be spending on the wrong things there so far as making the team competitive goes.  They moved backwards this year on the field before the season started and everyone knew that was going to be the case.  New changing rooms, Jumbotrons and all that are nice, but if you're team is incapable of winning what good do they do?

We're hardly undesirable, but I think we'd have a tougher job luring a big name now than a year ago.

But Khan realises he's unable to take that direction of spending on those types of things first with us as we have a relegation process in our sport, unlike the NFL.

Furby

Quote from: grandad on October 27, 2013, 05:09:39 PM
A knee jerk sacking of Jol is not going to change a thing. You can´t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. No new manager is suddenly going to get the players we have do things they are not capable of doing. There is no magic wand available. Berbatov is not going to run around like a spring chicken. Senderos is not ever going to get caught out of position. Ruiz is never going to be caught in possession et sec.
Jol has nothing to lose by taking a calculated risk & give Dembele, Tarrabt & Kaka a go together in place of Berbatov, Bent & Ruiz. Central defence is more of a problem for Jol. The heart of central defence now has clogged arteries. Senderos, Hughes, Hangeland & Amorebieta is all we have got.

Knee jerk reaction?? surely a knee jerk reaction is calling for his head after losing two or three games in a row. Majority of fans would be much happier if the players were actually working their backsides off to try and make up for our tactical flaws. So our lack of game plan, the average age of our squad getting higher instead of lower and the fact we never look like scoring for almost a calendar year now is not a knee jerk reaction.

Nero

Knee jerk why is it knee jerk the team has been poor from the last quarter of last season.  He had the summer to address the problem and hasn't.  He got the players he wanted its his pigs ear he brought the bacon not the the silk. There a half decent team there if you play to their  strength.  Instead he trying to build a team around berbatov thst isn't working and won't  change it. Surely he can see that less then 10 shots all season isnt working.

Logicalman

The latter paragraphs of what you say are so very relevent to what we saw yesterday, in that we have not upgraded our team with enough young blood, and as both injury and age take their toll on all aspects of the team, then teams like Soton will run past us, as they did yesterday.

Is this due to lack of funding, lack of expenditure or lack of scouting? Any of those three individually or combined can lead to what we saw put out on the pitch yesterday, perhaps all the experience any Prem team could need, but the lack of either willpower, fitness or just plain old age failed to turn that experience into action.

sunburywhite

Knee jerk?????????????

the man is a jerk and I have been saying so for a season now

This is his team (by his own admission) and his tactics

He couldn't manage anything

His teams have got worse as he loses the players from Roys team.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Logicalman

Quote from: sunburywhite on October 27, 2013, 05:34:36 PM

His teams have got worse as he loses the players from Roys team.

Not sure that argument is so relevant any longer. Look where the players from Roys team are now, and that cannot be down to Jol.

grandad

Jol has not got the players he really wanted. They all went to other clubs who regarded the transfer fees as a necessary investment. Go back to the window & look at the players we were interested in but Mackintosh would not sanction the expenditure. We hardly had to beat off anyone else to get the players we ended up with.
Where there's a will there's a wife

RaySmith

I think the players do work their backsides off, but we don't seem balanced as a team, and are lacking in a number of positions. I didn't see a lack of effort yesterday - but we were outclassed and outplayed, and out manouvered tactically.

Jol has had to make do and mend to a large degree, so what available manager could do better?

Rather than being defensive he often seems to set the team out to attack, like yesterday, but the opposition pins us back - and he might be better just parking the bus and getting 10 behind the ball, but, of course, we have some 'flair' players who aren't much good at defending, but nor are we getting the most out of them as attackers.

Jol has a plan, but doesn't have a team of players to execute it, maybe.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Nero on October 27, 2013, 05:26:24 PM

Knee jerk why is it knee jerk the team has been poor from the last quarter of last season.  He had the summer to address the problem and hasn't.  He got the players he wanted its his pigs ear he brought the bacon not the the silk. There a half decent team there if you play to their  strength.  Instead he trying to build a team around berbatov thst isn't working and won't  change it. Surely he can see that less then 10 shots all season isnt working.

I would contend is goes back even further than last quarter of last year. Recall how bad our form was at this time last season. We were in free fall after a decent start. We rebounded over the winter and then fell again. I agree with you though, certainly not a knew jerk at this point. He is in his third season. We know what he is able to do, there have been enough matches. Even in his best season, he had major fail in Europa League even though the season turned out good.

LBNo11

Why should Jol stay?

He's only had two and a half seasons and is a slow starter, anyway, who else could we get, after all, there's no other managers left on earth so be thankful for what we've got? And look at the quality players he gets, these players only come because of the manager, not for the gazillions they get paid, you cannot possibly get great players to be attracted to the Premier League, London based club owned by a billionaire manager - unless you are Maarten Jol.

The fact that the International players he has bought are unable to understand his tactical instructions is their fault because they are not fluent in double-dutch; if they were younger with more experience and cost less their hearing would be better.  Surely the board can see that if they give him more money he can get more quality players who he can inspire with his genius.

He needs more time, give him a chance and he will get us promotion next season...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: RaySmith on October 27, 2013, 05:43:03 PM
I think the players do work their backsides off, but we don't seem balanced as a team, and are lacking in a number of positions. I didn't see a lack of effort yesterday - but we were outclassed and outplayed, and out manouvered tactically.

Jol has had to make do and mend to a large degree, so what available manager could do better?

Rather than being defensive he often seems to set the team out to attack, like yesterday, but the opposition pins us back - and he might be better just parking the bus and getting 10 behind the ball, but, of course, we have some 'flair' players who aren't much good at defending, but nor are we getting the most out of them as attackers.

I think you're overly generous. We have an abundance of attacking talent but consistently fail to provide a threat. His plan is give it to Berbatov and the rest will work itself out. And why does he instruct the defenders to lump it up to the front men given we don't have a target man?
We attack with zero pace and yet we play with a high line, how does that make sense?

RaySmith

But he put out a weakened team in the Europa - and maybe that's why we had a good league season, as well as having a stronger, better balanced squad.

Furby

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 27, 2013, 05:54:05 PM
Why should Jol stay?

He's only had two and a half seasons and is a slow starter, anyway, who else could we get, after all, there's no other managers left on earth so be thankful for what we've got? And look at the quality players he gets, these players only come because of the manager, not for the gazillions they get paid, you cannot possibly get great players to be attracted to the Premier League, London based club owned by a billionaire manager - unless you are Maarten Jol.

The fact that the International players he has bought are unable to understand his tactical instructions is their fault because they are not fluent in double-dutch; if they were younger with more experience and cost less their hearing would be better.  Surely the board can see that if they give him more money he can get more quality players who he can inspire with his genius.

He needs more time, give him a chance and he will get us promotion next season...

Class  :Haynes The Maestro:

Furby

Quote from: RaySmith on October 27, 2013, 05:43:03 PM

Well if his plan is for us to have the lowest shots on goal per game in the premiership with (in his words) such quality attacking players that's some master plan. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't understand the logic of keeping somebody in charge of a team that has no chance or idea of getting close to turning it around. There must've been some whispers of possible contenders for potential managers towards the end of last season and this pre season.