more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (30/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 30, 2013, 04:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Dyer winner dumps out Fulham

Lloyd Dyer netted a late winner as Leicester City beat Fulham 4-3 in their Capital One Cup fourth-round clash at the King Power Stadium on Tuesday night.

Leicester substitute Lloyd Dyer scored the 89th-minute winner in a thrilling topsy-turvy Capital One Cup tie to book a place in the quarter-finals at Fulham's expense.

The promotion-chasing Foxes showed they were more than a match for Premier League opposition, although considering the Cottagers' struggles in the top flight it was difficult to describe the result as a shock.

Just eight league places separate the two sides with Leicester second in the Championship and they showed the character to bounce back from an 85th-minute equaliser - having led 3-1 - to snatch a 4-3 victory.

Hugo Rodallega's second goal of the season two months after his first, also in this competition, had put the visitors ahead only for the home side strike twice late on in the first half.

Fulham contributed significantly to their own downfall as individual errors led to both goals.

First goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg's fumbled long-range free-kick presented captain Wes Morgan with a simple close-range tap-in.

Less than five minutes later Philippe Senderos, who was the only outfield survivor from Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Southampton, hacked a clearance into Paul Konchesky and Chris Wood gratefully accepted the rebound.

Leicester made it three goals in 12 minutes either side of half-time when Ignasi Miquel headed in only for Rodallega to immediately go down the other end and pull one back.

When Giorgos Karagounis smashed home a free-kick with five minutes remaining Leicester should have been crushed but they picked themselves up and Dyer delivered the knockout blow.

The home side's promising start was halted midway through the first half when John Arne Riise's low cross was dummied by Adel Taarabt for the unnarked Rodallega to convert at the far post.

They should have capitalised on that but the Cottagers are lacking in confidence and their opposition were quickly back at them with Konchesky letting one fly from distance before Stekelenburg got down well to hold Wood's low drive.

The Dutch goalkeeper then had to bat away two efforts from Anthony Knockaert, who caused some problems down Fulham's left, before Konchesky volleyed over the second rebound from a narrow angle.

Stekelenburg was not so assured with his handling four minutes before the break as, when Knockaert drilled in a 30-yard free-kick, he fumbled and Morgan weighed in with his first goal since August 2012.

More calamity was to follow for Fulham as Senderos' clearance rebounded off Konchesky into the path of Wood who comfortably beat the goalkeeper.

Any hope Fulham had of rallying after the break was quickly snuffed out as Leicester leapt on them straight from the restart.

Dyer, on for Konchesky at the interval, blazed wide with a clear sight of goal before, in the 51st minute, Danny Drinkwater's cross was headed in by Miquel.

That appeared to have clinched the win as Fulham had shown little appetite for a fight but the visitors went straight down the other end and Rodallega nodded in Karagounis' cross at the far post.

Suddenly the game became a proper cup tie with Wood's acrobatic volley tipped away by Stekelenburg and Jeffrey Schlupp running right through the middle of Fulham only to be stopped by Aaron Hughes' well-timed block.

Cottagers' substitute Bryan Ruiz shot wastefully straight at Kasper Schmeichel but Rodallega's departure to injury did not end Fulham's hopes as Karagounis brilliantly drilled a 20-yard free-kick into the top corner with five minutes to go.

However, Dyer scored even later as he slid in to convert David Nugent's right-wing cross.

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/report/978/8998450/Capital-One-Cup-Leicester-beat-Fulham-4-3-in-fourth-round-clash?

WhiteJC

Leicester City 4 Fulham 3: match report
Read a full match report of the Capital One Cup fourth-round game between Leicester City and Fulham at King Power Stadium on Tuesday Oct 29, 2013.

Martin Jol can surely ill-afford any more damaging results like this, as Leicester City reached the last eight for the first time since the halcyon days of Martin O'Neill.

Lloyd Dyer finally settled an absorbing encounter in the last minute to increase the scrutiny on Jol and ensure the Dutchman became the latest Fulham manager to endure defeat against lower league opposition in this competition.

Leicester have not reached a quarter-final since the 1999-2000 season, when O'Neill lifted the trophy, but this was a defeat that could have severe repercussions for Jol, ahead of the visit of Manchester United this weekend and a difficult trip to Liverpool after that.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has seen his other investment, the National Football League team Jacksonville Jaguars, fail to win in eight games and Jol can only hope that he is shown the same patience as that to their head coach Gus Bradley. The hashtag #JolOut was trending ominously on Twitter on Tuesday night.

"If people say that I've got pressure, then I've got pressure, but for me it's not a problem," he said. "We're not bottom of the league and there are still several teams below us but we need to get a surprise result from somewhere.

"We wanted to respond here and if you score three goals then you should get through to the next round but to concede four is ridiculous."

Fulham's struggles in this competition are the stuff of legend, with defeats against Sheffield Wednesday, Burnley and Wycombe ensuring that they have failed to reach the fifth round since 2004.

Jol made nine changes after the wimpish performance at Southampton at the weekend but his revamped team shattered the tedium on 18 minutes. John Arne Riise was given far too much space on the left and his centre across goal left Kasper Schmeichel stranded in the Leicester goal and presented Hugo Rodallega with a simple finish.

Any hopes Jol may have had of a comfortable evening evaporated quickly, however, as Leicester responded and were level four minutes before half-time. Maarten Stekelenburg spilt Anthony Knockaert's free-kick and Wes Morgan reacted faster than the Fulham defence to head into the unguarded net.

Another defensive calamity conspired to gift Leicester the lead in injury time, when Phillipe Senderos's clearance struck Paul Konchesky to roll into the path of Chris Wood whose finish was clinical.

Leicester were now dominant and added a third goal after 53 minutes with Ignasi Miquel, a defender signed on loan from Arsenal, heading in from Danny Drinkwater's cross.

But, in an enthralling cup-tie, the pendulum swung barely 60 seconds later when Rodallega rose to head past Schmeichel.

Fulham squandered further chances but appeared to have forced extra time in the 87th minute when Giorgos Karagounis powered a 20-yard free-kick into the top corner.

However, David Nugent hared down the right to tee up Dyer in the box, securing an eighth successive victory at the King Power Stadium for Leicester, who are second in the Championship.

Nigel Pearson, the Leicester manager, said: "It could have gone either way but we've come out on top.

"We've got a competitive squad who aspire to be in the Premier League and while we must not read too much into the result the players still deserve a lot of credit."

Match details
Leicester City (4-2-3-1) Schmeichel; Wasilewski, Morgan, Miquel, Konchesky (Dyer h-t); James, Hammond; Knockaert (Nugent 87), Drinkwater, Schlupp; Wood (Vardy 87).
Subs King, Moore, Taylor-Fletcher, Logan (g).
Booked Morgan, Vardy.

Fulham (4-4-1-1) Stekelenburg; Zverotic, Senderos, Hughes, Riise; Duff (Ruiz 56), Karagounis, Boateng (Sidwell 80), Kacaniklic; Taarabt; Rodallega (Bent 80).
Subs Stockdale (g), Dejagah, Amorebieta.
Booked Boateng, Karagounis, Senderos, Zverotic.

Referee K Stroud (Dorset).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/league-cup/10412702/Leicester-City-4-Fulham-3-match-report.html

WhiteJC

Fulham to assess Rodallega injury

Striker forced out of cup loss after suffering a groin strain in the second half

Fulham will assess Hugo Rodallega in the next 24 hours after the striker suffered a groin strain in their Capital One Cup exit at Leicester City .

The Colombian frontman, making his first start of the season, bagged a brace at the King Power Stadium before limping out of the action midway through the second half.

Fulham will check on Rodallega's fitness tomorrow, but the 28-year-old is a major doubt for Saturday's clash with Manchester United.

Boss Martin Jol admitted: "Hugo has a groin injury so he could have a problem in the next couple of weeks."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-to-assess-rodallega-injury-6253739?

WhiteJC

Jol does not fear Fulham axe despite cup shock at Leicester

Fulham manager Martin Jol insists their Capital One Cup exit at Leicester does not increase the pressure on him.

The Cottagers are 14th in the Premier League with 10 points, two points above the relegation zone, having won just three times this season so the result - considering Jol made nine changes - was not that unexpected.

Wes Morgan, Chris Wood and Ignasi Miquel scored three goals inside 13 minutes either side of half-time to turn the match on its head as Hugo Rodallega had opened the scoring in the 18th minute.

There could be no argument it was deserved but Fulham eventually stepped up a gear and Rodallega grabbed his second before Giorgios Karagounis smashed home a free-kick with five minutes to go.

However, Dyer had the final say in the 89th minute to put Leicester into the quarter-finals.

With Fulham's next two matches at home to Manchester United and away to Liverpool the cup defeat could not have come at a worse time on the back of a loss at Southampton.

"I don't feel pressure because we're not bottom of the league, there are six or seven other teams on similar points and lower," said the Dutchman.

"If people tell me I've got pressure then I've got pressure but for me it's no problem.

"There are a few teams on 10 and 11 points so we have to come up with a surprise result [against United or Liverpool] and if not we have to get the points against the other teams we play against.

"A season is more than two games. Of course it is not great after the Southampton game.

"We played an almost perfect second half against Palace [a 4-1 win] and we played the same team and lost against Southampton so we have to pick ourselves up.

"A few boys showed tonight they could play and I thought the spirit during the game was good - but we gave cheap goals away.

"The disappointing aspect is that without playing perfect we controlled the first half and then there was the craziness of them scoring two goals out of nothing.

"Maarten Stekelenburg couldn't hold the ball and the second goal Philippe Senderos played it to their feet and that was a hammer blow.

"When we scored the third goal I thought to really go for it and score the winner but it wasn't to be - we smelled blood and they scored the winner."

Fulham's woes increased when Rodallega limped off with a groin problem which is expected to keep him out for at least a fortnight.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/jol_does_not_fear_fulham_axe_despite_cup_shock_at_leicester_1_2941558

WhiteJC

Jol defends team selection after Leicester loss

Fulham boss made nine changes for Capital One Cup clash as Foxes caused an upset

Martin Jol has defended his decision to ring the changes for Fulham's Capital One Cup defeat at Leicester City.

Maarten Stekelenburg and Philippe Senderos were the sole survivors from the side that lost at Southampton on Saturday, with Lloyd Dyer's late strike earning the Foxes a dramatic 4-3 win and a place in the last eight.

"I thought we had a few good players," said the Craven Cottage chief.

"I thought in midfield we had a couple of good players and I had a good bench because I knew it could be difficult and that Darren Bent could make a difference and Bryan Ruiz showed that he can make a difference, so the scenario was okay.

"We had a few players who came in. Giorgos is a hero for me; he came in and worked his socks off and scored the third goal.

"Of course we've got other players who will come in again who were rested or injured.

"We had four or five players who were injured and we couldn't play them so we had to change the team.

"I trust them and I need to trust them and I want to trust them, so that was not the problem because I really thought we had a good team out."

Jol was left to rue defensive mistakes as blunders from Stekelenburg and Senderos cost them.

He added: "Maarten Stekelenburg couldn't hold the ball and for the second goal Philippe Senderos played it into their feet and they scored two goals and that was a hammer blow.

"I thought the spirit before the game and during the game was really good, but we gave cheap goals away."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jol-defends-team-selection-after-6253747?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss demands reaction ahead of Man Utd and Liverpool clashes

Fulham manager Martin Jol admits his side will have to pull off a surprise result in the next fortnight if they are to bounce back from their Capital One Cup exit.

The Cottagers lost 4-3 to an 89th-minute winner having clawed their way back into the game from 3-1 down against Sky Bet Championship Leicester.

It did nothing to change the perception that Fulham are struggling - just two points above the relegation zone after only three wins this season - and with Manchester United and Liverpool up next things will not get any easier.

Speculation about Jol's future has been circulating almost from the start of the campaign but he remains unconcerned about what lies ahead.

"There are a few teams on 10 and 11 points so we have to come up with a surprise result (against United or Liverpool) and if not we have to get the points against the other teams we play against," he said.

"A season is more than two games. Of course it is not great after the Southampton game (a 2-0 defeat last Saturday).

"I don't feel pressure because we're not bottom of the league, there are six or seven other teams on similar points and lower.

"If people tell me I've got pressure then I've got pressure but for me it's no problem.

"I thought the spirit during the game was good but we gave cheap goals away.

"The disappointing aspect is that without playing perfect we controlled the first half and then there was the craziness of them scoring two goals out of nothing.

"Maarten Stekelenburg couldn't hold the ball and the second goal - Philippe Senderos played it to their feet and that was a hammer blow.

"When we scored the third goal I thought to really go for it and score the winner but it wasn't to be - we smelled blood and they scored the winner."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_demands_reaction_ahead_of_man_utd_and_liverpool_clashes_1_2941627

WhiteJC

Leicester 4-3 Fulham: There is no problem at Fulham - Jol

Fulham boss Martin Jol does not think there is a problem at the club after his team lose 4-3 to Championship side Leicester in the Capital One Cup.

The Dutchman, who has been criticised by fans for Fulham's poor start to the season, describes Leicester's last-minute winner as a "disastrous blow".

Fulham have only managed three league wins this season but Jol is already looking ahead to the next two matches against Manchester United on Saturday and Liverpool on 9 November, saying a "surprise result" can lift the team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24739928?

WhiteJC

O'Neill, Coleman join Palace manager race

Crystal Palace are reportedly now considering Martin O'Neill and Chris Coleman as the search for Ian Holloway's successor continues.

Palace co-chairman Steve Parish had earlier confirmed he intended to speak to former Stoke City boss Pulis, and The Guardian reports that initial talks have been held.

The paper also claims O'Neill has also spoken to Palace about the vacancy. The ex-Sunderland manager had been the favourite to take charge of Republic of Ireland, but Mick McCarthy has since emerged as a leading candidate for that role.

However, The Guardian suggests both Pulis and O'Neill would need "plenty of convincing" if they were to take the reins at Selhurst Park, with the salary demands a potential stumbling block.

The Daily Mirror, meanwhile, believes Palace have switched their attentions from Pulis to Wales manager Chris Coleman.

Coleman, who played for the Eagles for four years in the 1990s, will be available when his Wales contract expires next month, and he has yet to decide whether to prolong his tenure. Speaking generally about potential candidates at the weekend, Parish set out criteria for the role that suggest the 43-year-old former Fulham and Coventry City manager could fit the bill.

"I think Premier League experience is a plus," Parish said. "Maybe a young manager, with someone who has Premier League experience to help them. We need someone the players will look up to and respect from the moment they walk into the dressing room. That will be a big plus.

"And a connection to the club - it never hurts. People get more time if there is an affection from fans towards someone for their past heroics. We're looking for the usual kind of things, but in the end we need someone who believes they can stop us getting relegated. First and foremost, we need someone who believes that and has an ability to go and do it."

Palace parted company with Holloway following the 4-1 defeat to Fulham on October 21, and have since fallen to the foot of the table after Saturday's 2-0 loss to Premier League leaders Arsenal, with caretaker manager Keith Millen in charge.

Millen told the Croydon Advertiser on Tuesday that he does expect the club to rush into an appointment.

"The chairman rang me on Monday to thank me for the weekend against Arsenal," he said. "I think he's confident enough that he doesn't have to rush into bringing someone in, so he's more than happy for me to continue and prepare the team for West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

"He's happy in that sense that he doesn't have to rush and panic into appointing someone. It's nice that he's got confidence in me to carry on with the job and it gives him more time to interview people, but I don't know who he might be talking to."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/252793.html#3ZLgXE9b4fIkTwBC.99

WhiteJC

Direness
By rich on October 30, 2013
This will be nothing new to regular readers, but our woes are catching on in the neutral sector of football sites...

Statsbomb has something about our problems here.

Put another way, we are allowing 12 more shots a game than we are making!  Over a season we will allow 439 more shots than we take.

How.... how can we expect to do anything with numbers like that?

How?

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/direness/?

WhiteJC

Boateng Reflects

Derek Boateng says the Leicester loss was a bitter pill to swallow but wants us to raise our game for the visit of Manchester United.

Boateng Reflects on Leicester

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/30/boateng-reflects?

WhiteJC

Plotting a plan of action at Fulham

Realistically, and having given it about an hour's thought this morning, I can't think of one reason why Martin Jol's tenure at Fulham should continue beyond...now. Give him more time? Why – to satisfy the PFA? To stop Gordon Taylor making his generic comment about modern football chairmen judging their managers prematurely?

No, life at Craven Cottage seems to get worse every week, and the sample size with Jol is big enough to justify the belief that he isn't capable of arresting the worrying nosedive that the club finds itself in.

The fans have, almost entirely, turned against him, the players aren't responding to him, and every day that he remains in the job, the negativity surrounding the club to festers.

He's not a bad manager, but the inescapable reality is that he's not the right one for this team.

Time to change.

Fulham are a natural underdog, and they have the misfortune of having a smaller stadium and scarcer resources than three very large clubs in the same city – that's tough for a variety of reasons, and it also means that there is a theoretical glass-ceiling to how far up the league they can really go. But why not use that in a positive way? Why not, instead of just being 'a comfortable club where careers go to die', become the chip-on-the-shoulder team, and the side that nobody wants to go and play?

At the moment, Fulham and Craven Cottage represent the polar-opposite: lovely place to play football, strong chance of three points. That may sound like purely an issue of form, but it's not – there's an attitude missing in South-West London, and there's an absence of determination to be anything other than just what is acceptable.

If and when Shahid Khan replaces Jol, I want to see a manager brought in who has something to prove and who isn't just comfortable living in a nice part of London and finishing between 10th and 16th every season – because that's really who the current manager is, and that kind of attitude infects a squad.

Look down the league pyramid, interview someone like Lee Clark or Karl Robinson, and inject some of that hunger and inferiority complex into the football club – it's a risk, but those are the kind of decisions which inspire a reaction and, in time, progress.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/plotting-a-plan-of-action-at-fulham/