watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, October 31, 2013, 09:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

A comparison. Berbatov, one of the most gifted players in the Premiership. Frank Large. The now late Frank came to us in exchange for Allan Clarke from Leicester in 1968 after we were relegated from the old div 1. Frank is widely regarded by those who saw him play as not very good. However, even when it was obvious that he was not a player suitable for us, he always gave everything. I wonder what a player he would be if Berbatov had Frank's attitude of if Frank had have had Berbatov's skills.
   I know times have changed but our Bulgarian's attitude really annoys me. He must be on at least £30,000 per week but so often he has a ragging monk on. For me Rodders has to start on Saturday, but what do I know?

Thank you and good night.

092.gif         

Logicalman

If Berbatov had Franks attitude, or Frank has Berbatov's skill, he would be called Johnny Haynes.

LBNo11

...yup, the much maligned Frank Large always gave 100%, he was just hapless and to be fair hopeless at Fulham, if not a bit unlucky, yet he scored goals for fun for Northampton in his three stints for them. Always had a big smile for the fans and a nice modest guy. RIP Frank...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Travers Barney

Gave his all Tuesday night...thats all I want to see...the judgements on ability should be judged by the proffesionals.

Groin injury though it would seem will sadly keep him out.

coyw
We are the whites

spikey norman

I remember Frank in one of his earlier games for us.He went up for a header completely missed it fell on his arse got up with a smile and carried on going - but he was hopeless
Leicester stitched us up for £50,000 which Frank cost us as part of the Alan Clarke deal

RaySmith

I was always a fan of big Frank's, and have always defended him to detractors.

And I'm also a fan of Berbatov's.

Perhaps neither of them really fitted in at Fulham.

A lot of fans used to moan about Allan Clarke, btw, and he was also accused of not giving his all -I remember a bloke standing near me on the Riverside terracing always used to shout 'where's your handbag Clarke?'

MOR :

Ah Big Frank...

bog

I seem to recall Frank being tried at centre half after he failed to score any goals, I think away to Birmingham and we lost 5-4 and he then scored 2! Or is this my arthritic mind dribbling out meaningless drivel like our current boss?

092.gif

ron

Quote from: bog on November 01, 2013, 01:14:50 PM
I seem to recall Frank being tried at centre half after he failed to score any goals, I think away to Birmingham and we lost 5-4 and he then scored 2! Or is this my arthritic mind dribbling out meaningless drivel like our current boss?

092.gif

5-3 it was !

Poor old Frank tried at centre-half links this post with the other about him missing a header. I can't remember the exact game, but in the programme he was quoted as saying "They'll not pass by", (presumably in his northern accent). In the game itself, he tried a clearing header to a ball that was descending almost vertically on to him. As he jumped to head it, the ball bounced next to him, and he finished on his backside. They did pass by after all !  

keith

I always thought the Birmingham game was 5-4 Ron?.

ron

Quote from: keith on November 01, 2013, 06:22:12 PM

Hmmmm. I'm off to the loft and the programme boxes. Watch this space!

ron

Quote from: ron on November 01, 2013, 06:43:13 PM
Quote from: keith on November 01, 2013, 06:22:12 PM

Hmmmm. I'm off to the loft and the programme boxes. Watch this space!

ron; (Returns from loft, brushing a film of dust from what remains of his hair, and munching what appears to be a large slice of humble pie)  "My apologies to keith and bog, the score was indeed 5-4"

keith