more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (08/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 08, 2013, 07:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Liverpool v Fulham - Match Preview, Stats & Team News

To be played on Saturday 9th November 2013 at 15:00. Venue: Anfield, Liverpool.

Odds: Liverpool 1/4, Draw 11/2, Fulham 14/1

Last season 4-0

Match Preview/Injury News

Both sides will be determined to bounce back from losses last weekend. Liverpool are now five points off the pace in the title race but if someone offered them 20 points from 10 games to start the season, it's doubtful there will have been too many complaining in August. However, with a couple of sides around them playing tricky looking games this weekend, and a trickier looking fixture list for Liverpool coming up, they will have this marked as a must win.

Fulham on the other hand have the odds on favourite in the next manager to leave their post market. After consecutive defeats to Southampton and Manchester United, it doesn't get any easier for Martin Jol's men as they sit two points above the drop zone at this early stage in the season.

Steven Gerrard limped off the field at the Emirates Stadium last week with a hip injury whilst Glen Johnson is expected to reclaim his place back in the starting line-up after missing the defeat at the Emirates Stadium because of a freak illness which meant he had to spend a night in hospital. Philippe Coutinho could return to the starting line-up. Jose Enrique could also be in line for a return to the squad after recently struggling with a knee problem.

For Fulham Brede Haangeland missed last week's defeat to Manchester United as he continues to struggle with a nerve problem in his leg and it is unclear whether he will make the Cottagers squad for the trip to Anfield.

Stats

Daniel Sturridge is Liverpool's top scorer in the league this season with 8 goals

Darren Bent, Steve Sidwell and Pajtim Kasani are Fulham's top scorers in the league this season with 2 goals each

Liverpool had 46% possession in their last match, a 2-0 loss away to Arsenal

Fulham had 47% possession in their last match, a 3-1 loss at home to Manchester United

Five players to watch

Philippe Coutinho

The little Brazilian was introduced in the second half against Arsenal after an injury lay-off, and the indications are that he will start against Fulham so it will be interesting to see what he will do from the start of a game.

Bryan Ruiz

He seems to be the one player that can produce something out of nothing for Fulham, they will need that surprise element to their game of some good quality if they are to come away from Anfield with a positive result.

Glen Johnson

He missed out against Arsenal because of a freak illness which meant he had to spend some time in hospital. Brendan Rodgers goes on about how much people don't realise how much of an asset Johnson is to the team until he's not there. With him in the side, he has the opportunity to show how vital he can be to the Reds.

Philippe Senderos

With some question marks remaining over the fitness of Brede Hangeland, a lot of responsibility remains on the shoulders of Senderos to keep out Liverpool's threatening strike force of Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez.

Daniel Sturridge

In every game Liverpool have scored this season, he has managed to get himself on the scoresheet. The odds on the league's joint leading scorer getting himself amongst the goals again must be incredibly short.

Last time they met

Fulham 1-3 Liverpool, Premier League May 2013

It didn't really matter that much as the sides involved in the penultimate game of last season as Fulham were safe from the drop and Liverpool were certain to finish 7th by the close of play. Dimitar Berbatov headed home Sascha Reither's cross before it became the Daniel Sturridge show. Sturridge managed to latch on to a hopeful looking ball from Andre Wisdom, before taking on Aaron Hughes and unleashing a powerful strike to bring Liverpool on terms. After the half-time break Sturridge put away an attempted shot from Philippe Coutinho, and then Coutinho put through a wonderful through ball which Sturridge managed to beat Schwarzer to to complete his hat-trick.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/11/07/liverpool-v-fulham-match-preview-stats-team-news/?

WhiteJC

Jol to speak to Riether

Fulham manager Martin Jol is keen to move on from Sascha Riether's alleged stamp on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj but he intends to speak to the player about his behaviour.

Riether became the first player to be charged under the Football Association's retrospective action rule after television replays appeared to show him stamping on Januzaj in the latter stages of the 3-1 defeat last week.

Fulham initially asked the FA for clarification on its retrospective action rule, but Riether accepted the violent conduct charge and, as a result, he will miss the next three games.

"If he did do it deliberately it is fair enough to get three games. The referee didn't see it. I didn't see it, but they decided to give him that punishment and people around me said it was probably something deliberate," Jol told reporters.

"He said it was not deliberate but he apologised to the club, to the fans and to us. It is not what you need, but we move on.

"They are all responsible for their own actions. Sascha Riether is responsible and we are responsible. You don't want that sort of thing.

"He has been punished for it and I don't think he will do it again in the future.

"If he tells me he didn't do it deliberately and other people say he did there is always a grey area with that. But I think you should try not to stamp on someone's feet, probably fall over and do something."

Fulham sit just two points clear of the drop zone and their poor start to the season has resulted in some fans venting their frustration.

Striker Bryan Ruiz was booed by Fulham supporters as he made his was from the pitch when he was substituted on Saturday, but Jol insists he is not under pressure.

"I don't think you are under pressure against Liverpool or Manchester United. You are under pressure in your home games against teams who should lose points against us, for example Crystal Palace," Jol added.

"We really felt some pressure (against them), not because of me but because of the result. We needed points and we managed to win that game. We played well.

"If they (the fans) are disappointed I can understand that. The only disappointing thing was with Ruiz. As long as we don't have the results they can (boo) me, but hopefully they will support the team. We are not in the best of situations, but we are not in the worst.

"We had a very difficult schedule. We have played most of the top teams in difficult away games. The only really inconsistent game was 1-1 against West Brom. We need a few surprise results and maybe we can start against Liverpool."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/jol-to-speak-to-riether/?

WhiteJC

Jol calls for backing

Fulham manager Martin Jol has called on the club's fans to unite behind his side as they bid to end a run of three successive defeats.

Fulham's form has been frustratingly inconsistent this season, putting pressure on Jol after a run that has seen them slip to 16th in the Premier League, just two points above the relegation zone.

An opening-day victory over Sunderland was followed by a five-game run without a win, and although they won twice in October, Fulham have since lost their last three matches in all competitions.

They found themselves 3-0 behind against Manchester United inside just 22 minutes on Saturday, leading to sections of the club's support voicing their frustrations at the team.

But Jol has called on everyone to pull together to help them reverse their slide ahead of Saturday's trip to high-flying Liverpool.

"If they (the fans) are disappointed I can understand that," he said. "As long as we don't have the results they can do it (be disappointed) with me, but hopefully they will support our team because we are not in the best of situations, but not in the worst.

"We look for a few results. You have to start somewhere to get wins under your belt and then go from there. We need a few surprise results and maybe we can start against Liverpool."

Jol is also looking to move on from the controversy surrounding Sascha Riether's stamp on Adnan Januzaj at the end of the defeat against United.

Riether was not punished by the referee at the time but has since received a three-match ban after being charged retrospectively by the Football Association.

"If he did do it deliberately, it's fair enough he got three games," Jol admitted.

"The referee didn't see it, I didn't see it but they decided to give him that punishment.

"He apologised to the club, to the fans, to us, of course, and it's not what you need but we move on."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2013/November/07/jol-calls-for-backing/

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Liverpool v Fulham

The important thing for Liverpool now is to try to bounce back from last week's defeat by Arsenal. Fulham are probably the ideal opponents for them to do so.

I think we saw against the Gunners that playing with three at the back does not work for Liverpool against top-class opposition, because they are clever enough to take advantage of it.

Intelligent players will find more space, and they will hurt Liverpool.

Arsenal's full-backs had attacking duties as well as doing their defending. The Gunners were the better team all round, but that is where they won the game.

Liverpool can play using different systems but that one allows them to play Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge together up front.

And, while it did not work against Arsenal, it will work against the Cottagers. The Reds can win on Saturday with three at the back.

As for Fulham, their manager Martin Jol obviously remains under lots of pressure. His future will not depend on this result, the same as it didn't depend on last week's defeat by Manchester United.

It is his next two or three league games which will be the key for him: at home to Swansea, away at West Ham and home to Spurs.

Jol needs at least five points from those matches but the first thing he requires is a performance from his team, because the results will follow. At the moment, the performances are not good enough.

Lawro's prediction: 3-0
Schneider's prediction: 3-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24841322

WhiteJC

Tea and Crumpets with Cottagers Confidential

Pastry. Conversation. Badgers. And a complete lack of information that might be useful to a Liverpool fan looking for insight into the current edition of Fulham FC.

Having been away for far longer than had ever been intended, Tea and Crumpets decided it was past time to take a shower, dust off the old tuxedo, and drag its sorry ass back into the game for another season. Finding the water had been shut off and the tuxedo no longer quite fit rather got in the way, and so pulling up the covers for a few more months seemed the prudent course. Just to see if things might sort themselves out if left to their own devices.

As they are wont to do, things didn't, so donning said ill-fitting tux, Tea and Crumpets shambled out into the sunlight and falling leaves to join Andrew of Cottagers Confidential in the hopes of squeezing in an appetizer of white asparagus with poached egg yolk and sauce of woodruff ahead of Saturday's match against Fulham. Doing our best to ignore the staring waiters and parents pulling their curious children away, we got underway...

liverpool blog fc sbn

T&C: So, Andrew. Can I call you Andrew? Good. So. Andrew. The football can wait, because we need to cut straight to the reason we're all here: the King of Pop; the patron saint of the Fulham Fighting Badgers; friend to sequin encrusted gloves everywhere. Or, if brevity is your thing, Michael Jackson. And in particular to the defilement of the shrine erected in his honour by former Fulham owner—and hero—Mohamed Al-Fayed, with the club having chosen to rip down the icon's statue only last month.

"Bring me the head of Michael Jackson" —Shahid KhanWhat, exactly, was new owner Shahid Khan trying to prove with a cowardly stunt like that? What makes him think he can do something like that and just get away with it?

CC: Have you seen Khan's mustache? A man with facial hair like that can do whatever he wants. A man with facial hair like that and billions of dollars can do even more. Would you tell him no? Rich men like that might just have a pit of crocodiles to throw you into if you cross them.

That being said, part of me was sad to see it go. It was so ugly and ridiculous that the unintentional comedy was off the scale. I've never actually been to the Cottage—it's a long flight from Seattle—but am planning a trip this spring. Not having the statue to take a picture of is going to be kind of sad.

T&C: Tea and Crumpets remains convinced the only good thing about Darren Bent, at least from a supporter's point of view, is he was born in Tooting. Aside from the obvious, it's a district in South London, and one can just about imagine a young Bent kicking the ball about Tooting Commons or daydreaming of making the cut at Tooting & Mitcham United. It isn't the kind of thing that helps when you're down a goal in stoppage time and counting on a rather poor striker to bail you out, but sometimes you just have to embrace what childish upside there is.

CC: Bent's already saved Fulham's bacon this year against Stoke, so he's already better than worthless to us. But really, when your previous strike force has been Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson, Mladen Petric, and Pavel Pogrebnyak your opinion of what makes a good striker tends to shift. Of course a high percentage of Fulham fans started clamoring for Hugo Rodallega to get game time, so that should tell you all you need to know about Bent. Rodallega then had the audacity to tear his abductor, so that's that. Which means you'll probably get a big dose of Darren Bent on Saturday. You're welcome.

T&C: Human beings have been collecting honey for at least twice as long as there's been a planet to collect it on if you're inclined to ask a young Earth creationist how long there's been a planet with human beings on it to collect honey. Which isn't the sort of thing Tea and Crumpets is normally inclined to do. But still. Perspective. And beekeeping. Which, as with beer and aliens and so many other things life would be the poorer without, can be traced back to the Ancient Egyptians, who rather than simply collecting the honey from wild bees undertook their domestication.

Lorenzo_langstroth_mediumDespite those early efforts, it took more than two millennia for the understanding of bee biology to advance to the point it triggered the eventual development of the moveable comb hive by Lorenzo Lorraine Langstroth in the 18th century. His revolutionary hive design, widely used to this day, meant bee colonies could for the first time ever survive the harvest rather than being killed by it. More to the point, Tea and Crumpets still hasn't entirely forgiven the Cottagers for sending Roy Hodgson and Paul Konchesky north.

CC: You haven't forgiven us for Roy? How about you apologizing for taking him. A seventh place league finish? Runners up in the Europa League? Dour football be damned, there isn't a Fulham supporter alive who wouldn't take Roy back in a heart beat. It's not fair to take our nice things and then just throw them away. I think you owe me a beer and an apology. Or better yet a whiskey. Or maybe two. How many do I have to drink before I forget the last three Fulham games? That's how many you owe me.

T&C: The nefarious Khan may claim he's safe, but after being hammered by Manchester United, speculation Martin Jol is soon to go the way of Michael Jackson's statue has only, inevitably, increased. The question, then, is has he ever considered purchasing a white cat he can bring into the technical area with him, stroking it constantly and by doing so discomforting any nearby opponent with an allergy to pet dander? Does he perhaps even already own a white cat as would befit his Blofeldian countenance?

Adam3jungekatzen_mediumCC: At this point I'd rather have a team managed by Blofeld. That's saying a lot considering Blofeld built a lair in an active volcano—and seriously, who thinks that's a good idea?—and has his plans foiled by a man in this disguise. Seriously? That guy looks Japanese? Still, he'd have to have more tactical awareness than Jol. At this point, Jol would need an epic run of points to be back next year. The only question is does Khan keep him all year, or fire him after Christmas. If you'd like to have the comedic stylings of Jol's pressers stick around, perhaps you could donate three points this week?

T&C: And finally, because we know all our readers have been dying to learn the answer, just how brave is England's brave Scott Parker? And is he more brave, or less brave, since he moved to Fulham? Also, how many badgers has he bought since he got there?

CC: Scott Parker continues to patrol the skies of England in his Spitfire, on the look out for any Messerschmidts that may still be around. And for what it's worth, my wife's attraction to him did not lessen one bit even though he left her club. Though if he's going to bring in some badgers, may I suggest this one?

T&C: Can't say as that's my kind of badger, honey or otherwise, but then there's no accounting for taste, be it in footballers or commemorative statues. Still, Tea and Crumpets would like to wish Fulham the best of luck the rest of the way. Following Saturday, of course. And aside from when Liverpool make the trip to Craven Cottage in February, too, naturally. But outside of that, all the best of luck to Andrew, Martin, and any badgers Scott Parker may or may not own, and thanks to Cottagers Confidential for picking up the tab, even if they're only finding out about it just now.

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/2013/11/7/5075638/liverpool-vs-fulham-pre-match-questions-answers?

WhiteJC

Three Questions with Noel C. From The Liverpool Offside

This week's email exchange is with Noel C. from The Liverpool Offside. I ask the usual three questions, where as they had me participate in a fairly fun thing they call Tea and Crumpets.

This is game is the second in a tough stretch. Even though the loss last week looks bad, there was at least a glimmer of hope in the performance. Can Fulham build on that going forward? Perhaps. But I doubt playing at Anfield is the time or place to do it. This is going to be a tough test, and I'm not sure how Fulham will approach it. I think that was reflected in my questions. Be sure to stop by their site for the less serious, but probably more fun, Q&A.

CC: Liverpool are currently tied for second on points, but by my estimation have played one of the easier schedules so far. The only away wins were against a pretty awful Sunderland side and an uninspiring performance against Aston Villa. They were only able to draw with Newcastle away even being up a man for a larger portion of the match and last weekend seemed thoroughly outplayed by Arsenal. Just how good are Liverpool? Is Fulham walking into the home of a long sleeping giant that is just awakening, or are you still just a club in the top 10 who's played an easy schedule and had a few good results so far?

Noel C: Liverpool's rather drab win against Villa did come the week after they had beaten Arsenal 3-1, and since then the Villains have dispatched Manchester City, showing that as poor as their season has been on the whole, they can still find it in themselves to come up with the odd performance against a top side. Newcastle, meanwhile, shut out Chelsea last weekend. Which isn't to suggest Liverpool's had an especially tough go of it, but outside of stumbling against Southampton they've done all they can do by beating the sides they should.

That's something Liverpool hasn't done in recent seasons, and stumbling against sides in the bottom half of the table is what has stopped the club from at least challenging for the top four ever since the wheels came off during Rafa Benitez' final year in charge. As for being outplayed by Arsenal, it certainly showed Liverpool have some way to go to compete in midfield with a side on pace to break 90 points and who have made themselves early favourites to win the league, but I'm not sure how much hope Fulham should take from that heading to Anfield.
CC: Stephen Gerrard looked pretty awful last week against Arsenal. I wasn't sure whether it was age catching up to him or if he's just not suited to the deeper midfield role in the 3-5-2 that Brendan Rodgers employs. Was this just an aberration, or is his time with Liverpool about to come to an end?

NC: He's never had a deep lying playmaker's tools despite what some like to imagine, and his best seasons at the club level came either playing off the main striker or on the right—which is to say, his best seasons have come when he's been largely freed of any defensive responsibilities. The bigger problem, though, is age. For all the physical talent Gerrard has, he's never been the most tactical player. In the past, he could overcome that through force of will and endless reserves of stamina, but now, when the legs start to go, he becomes a passenger, giving the ball away too easily and failing to share the defensive load when he does.

Certainly the talent and desire are still there, but both player and manager have to accept he's reached a stage in his career where he's not physically able to pay 90 minutes every week. Continuing to try to play him as though he's 23 and not 33 has hurt Liverpool's game this season, and perhaps even worse than that given his standing at the club, it's hurt Gerrard's. Managing his minutes—allowing him to be effective as the player he knows how to be rather than trying to force him to become something else in order to keep him on the pitch every minute of every match—is the only answer, and it's a change that needs to happen soon.
CC: The 3-5-2 (or do you prefer 3-4-1-2?) is not something you see very often in English Football. If you could, would you describe the strengths it brings to the squad and how you would attack it if you were an opponent?

NC: Its main strength for Liverpool was to find a way to play an extra player at the club's deepest position—centre half—and put two strikers on the pitch while still utilizing a compact, three-man midfield. In theory at least it's the answer to what to do with Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge if, as Brendan Rodgers does, you still want to keep an extra man in the middle for pressing and passing. Against Arsenal, that midfield simply didn't perform. Gerrard ran out of gas before the first half was half way through, Jordan Henderson had his worst game of the season, and a largely isolated Lucas wasn't able to raise his game enough to compensate.

Fulham could always go with a three man midfield and hope Liverpool's fails to show up again, but the sounder strategy against the 3-5-2 is always to attack the flanks. It's a formation that piles all the pressure on the wingbacks, and if they can be pinned back it almost completely negates a side's attacking threat. Wingback was also a point of concern for Liverpool against Arsenal, as without Glen Johnson and Jose Enrique, the squad simply lacked the talent to make the formation work—though from here on out, whether Rodgers even considers deploying the 3-5-2 may come down to if his two starters are available.
Key players, projected lineup, and score prediction

NC: With Gerrard a doubt for the match, both Johnson and Enrique expected back, and Philippe Coutinho healthy again, how Liverpool will line up is harder to guess. About the only certainty would seem to be that Rodgers will find a way to start both Suarez and Sturridge in striker roles, and though the 3-5-2 has been the answer to that need in recent weeks, it wouldn't be entirely surprising to see something of a 4-4-2 diamond that allows Lucas, Henderson, and Joe Allen to all start in midfield with Coutinho playing off the two strikers while Johnson and Enrique are left largely to their own devices on the flanks.

As for who to watch, when he's in the lineup the answer is usually Philippe Coutinho, and the score is likely to be something to something else, with something and something else almost certain to each be a natural number or zero.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/11/7/5077206/three-questions-with-noel-c-from-the-liverpool-offside?

WhiteJC

Gerrard, Johnson and Enrique all available for Fulham clash

Liverpool have an almost full strength squad for the visit of Fulham to Anfield on Saturday, with only long-term casualties Iago Aspas and Sebastian Coates unavailable.

Captain Steven Gerrard picked up a knock in the latter stages of last week's defeat to Arsenal but has been declared fit by manager Brendan Rodgers.

Full-back Glen Johnson was a late withdrawal last week after suffering an infection, but he will also be fit for Saturday. "Tt was just one of those peculiar things that happened, explained Rodgers on Thursday.

"Maybe if it had been a day earlier, he may have been able to play. But he's fine for the game and has looked good in training this week."

Jose Enrique has missed the last three fixtures since undergoing an operation during October's international break, but he has returned to training and could return to the team too.

That means only Sebastian Coates (ACL) and Iago Aspas (thigh) are missing for Rodgers this weekend.

Meanwhile, Fulham are without suspended right-back Sascha Riether, and could be without captain Brede Hangeland through injury.

This fixture last season resulted in a 4-0 win for the home side, Martin Skrtel, Gerrard, Stewart Downing and Luis Suarez getting the goals.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/11/gerrard-johnson-enrique-available-fulham-clash/?

WhiteJC

Analysis: What Fulham Must Do To Survive

The way Fulham have been playing recently, you could forgive the fans for wanting owner Shahid Khan to spend his fortune on a whole new first team in the approaching January transfer window. Despite their lack of speed at the back, an end product from the forwards or of a competent manager however, there is another position Fulham need to fill more urgently if they are to escape a relegation scrap this season.

Ever since Mousa Dembele left the Cottage, the whites have been noticeably short of a creative midfielder. Dembele operated mainly in between the midfield and strikers, providing a link between them while also getting the odd goal himself. This meant that the holding midfielder could sit back and occupy the gaping hole Fulham currently have in between their defenders and midfielders. The Fulham midfield would often escape their markers for this reason, and find themselves with more time and space to deliver to the forwards.

Bryan Ruiz was expected to take Dembele's position and make it his own. However, he and summersigning Adel Taarabt, who plays in the same position, have simply not been good enough. Taarabt makes a point of not passing the ball, while Ruiz generally gives it to someone on the other team. The huge cheer from Fulham's home support as he was taken off against Manchester United last weekend tells you all you need to know about the state of desperation they are in.

And why shouldn't the fans be desperate, when the right back tops the creative statistics this season? Sascha Riether leads the way on assists, with two, and key passes from open play, eight, which is double Pajtim Kasami's tally in third. Kasami has played almost every minute of this season in Fulham's midfield, always giving his all and scoring a screamer at Crystal Palace, but Fulham's brightest young star is being creatively outdone by a defender. Riether now looks to be facing a ban for his stamp on United's Adnan Januzaj, and so someone in that midfield needs to step up.

With Ruiz, Taarabt and Kasami failing to create enough opportunities, other midfield regulars Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell have been left with the task of trying to make something happen. Sidwell, so often Dembele's holding midfielder, and Parker, who has spent his career playing behind the likes of Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Dembele at Tottenham, have been caught out of position too often this season as their efforts going forward come to nothing, leaving their defenders exposed to an opposition break out.

Parker, who has made the most successful final third passes, has proven himself to be competent in this role, but why should a well-known holding midfielder be the lead source of creativity in any team? Sidwell is not to be seen near the top of any of the creative statistics, and when a creative midfielder eventually comes in, the former Reading and Chelsea man will find first team opportunities hard to come by.

Martin Jol is insistent that Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent can play together up front, which leaves space for only two central midfielders, and Sidwell won't play over Parker, who has the better tackle and eye for a pass, not to mention he is the definition of work rate. I'm yet to work out how he hasn't been given the captain's armband over Berbatov. Jol has only worsened his reputation by making Berbatov, the man with the lowest work rate in the Premier League (and maybe in the world), the example to which the rest of the players must follow in Brede Hangeland's absence.

So Fulham need a man to partner Parker, to bomb forward in the knowledge that he's got cover. Maybe, in a few years, that man will be Kasami, but for now, they need a reliable creative midfielder if Berbatov and Bent are to score the goals to secure Premier League football for another season; a Mousa Dembele 2.0, if you will.

http://threeandin.com/archives/29988?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Martin Jol dismisses job speculation as Liverpool loom large
• Manager positive 'there are worse teams in Premier League'
• Jol felt 'lonely' during home defeat by Manchester United

Martin Jol has dismissed concerns before Fulham's game at Liverpool on Saturday that his job is under threat, despite speculation that he could become the next Premier League manager to be sacked this season.

Jol and his side were booed by a large section of their support last weekend during Fulham's 3-1 defeat by Manchester United and although they secured successive victories against Stoke and Crystal Palace last month, a defeat at Anfield will mean they slip into the bottom three if Norwich City win at home to West Ham.

The Norwich manager, Chris Hughton, has also come in for criticism from his own fans but Jol, who claimed he felt "lonely" during the match against United, remains confident that Fulham are better than a number of sides in the Premier League.

"People asked me how I felt when we conceded three goals in the first half [against United] and I was more cynical, with a sense of humour, and said I was very lonely. No, I am quite happy here but in that 15 minutes I felt lonely.

"You always feel better after wins than after defeats, especially when you are a bit proud and I think all the managers at that level are proud.

"That is why they are so ambitious and they work hard, because of their pride. I have to cope with it, I can understand.

"I'm positive, not because I'm a positive character but I remain positive because we are good enough to get results against the teams who are probably as good as us and maybe a little bit better and a little bit worse. There will always be four or five teams not as good as we are and that is what I really believe. That is why I am positive."

Jol revealed that the defender Sascha Riether was disciplined internally as well as receiving a three-match ban from the Football Association for his stamp on United's Adnan Januzaj. He said that Hugo Rodallega will be out for five to six weeks with a groin injury but that Brede Hangeland is in contention to play at Liverpool.

"I don't think you are under pressure against Liverpool or Man United," he said. "You are under pressure in your home games against the teams who should lose points against us. Before Crystal Palace, we really felt some pressure, not because of me but because of the result.

"I think it [pressure] is one of the parts of our profession, I always admire people for that. I look at my mate Chris Hughton or in the past with [Roberto] Martínez at Wigan – I couldn't believe he was always calm or cool.

"We need a few surprise results and maybe we can start against Liverpool."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/07/fulham-martin-jol-job-speculation?

WhiteJC

Three Key Battles: Liverpool vs Fulham

After losing to Arsenal last weekend, Liverpool are now five points off the top of the table; a gap they will hope to reduce when they play Fulham tomorrow.

Despite last week's defeat, the Reds have still had a fairly strong start to the season and have lost just once in their five home games so far.

This isn't good news for Fulham, who are just two points away from the drop zone after losing 3-1 at home to Manchester United last weekend.

Furthermore, rumours are slowly spreading that Martin Jol's time in West London is coming to a close, leaving a confused squad at the Cottage.

A loss at Anfield tomorrow, and results for teams around them could see the Whites in the bottom three at the end of the weekend.

In this fixture last season, Brendan Rodgers' side ran out 4-0 winners, as well as winning 3-1 in London.

Rodgers has confirmed that Glen Johnson is fit to feature this weekend following his absence against Arsenal, while the Cottagers have confirmed that Hugo Rodallega could be side-lined for up to six weeks with a groin injury.

But in preparation for tomorrow's game, click on the 'next' button below to find out the Three Key Battles which could be vital in the result of this enticing fixture.

Olly Allen's Prediction: 4-0

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/three-key-battles-liverpool-vs-fulham/72562/?

WhiteJC

Sidwell's Liverpool Preview

Midfielder Steve Sidwell discusses the challenge which awaits in Merseyside and his new partnership with Scott Parker.

Sidwell's Liverpool Preview

Apsley TailorsThe players received their brand new tailored suits from the Club's Official Tailor Apsley this week. Visit the website to see the team in their Winning Apsley Suits and find out how you can design your own suit.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/08/sidwell-liverpool-preview?

WhiteJC

Riether banned as Fulham boss has selection headache for Liverpool clash

Right-back Sascha Riether misses Fulham's trip to face Liverpool at Anfield as he starts his three-match suspension after being found guilty of violent conduct by the Football Association for stamping on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj.

Striker Hugo Rodellega will be out for five to six weeks with a muscle injury in his left leg and defender Matthew Briggs will be sidelined for another six weeks following his hernia operation.

Meanwhile, manager Martin Jol will wait on the fitness of central defender Brede Hangeland (sciatic nerve) and attacking midfielder Bryan Ruiz (back) before naming his final squad.

Provisional squad: Stekelenburg, Senderos, Hangeland, Amorebieta, Richardson, Dejagah, Parker, Sidwell, Kasami, Ruiz, Berbatov, Kacaniklic, Stockdale, Karagounis, Hughes, Taarabt, Boateng, Bent, Banya.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/riether_banned_as_fulham_boss_has_selection_headache_for_liverpool_clash_1_2981351

WhiteJC

Premier League: Scott Parker ready to contribute and build with Fulham

Fulham midfielder Scott Parker holds no regrets about leaving title contenders Tottenham in search of regular first team football.

Parker's former club Spurs are currently fourth in the Premier League standings, while Fulham are languishing in 16th, but Parker believes unity will guide the Cottagers to safety.

The central midfielder moved to Craven Cottage in August as Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas invested heavily in overseas talent with Paulinho, Roberto Soldado and Etienne Capoue among a host of summer signings to arrive at White Hart Lane.

Parker, who received a Premier League winners' medal with Chelsea in 2005, admits success can be attractive but believes playing regularly is of paramount importance.

"I've been really happy with the way it's gone," he told The Sun "Spurs are definitely title contenders. This year, any team can beat any team on their day.

"If I'd have stayed at Tottenham I wouldn't have played a lot. Andre Villas-Boas never sat me down and said ' You aren't going to play this year'. It was a general conversation, we both knew the situation.

"I had the same thing at Chelsea. We won the league under Jose Mourinho and I was part of that squad. But, to be honest, I didn't feel like I had any input.

"At my age I need to play and I felt Fulham was the ideal choice, somewhere I could contribute and develop something."

However, Fulham stand on the brink of the drop zone after just three wins from their opening 10 top-flight fixtures but Parker insists everyone must remain committed to the cause.

Experience

"It's going to be a tough season for us but we all need - players, managers, fans - to stick together in this situation," he added. "I feel a sense of responsibility.

"When the club brought me here, they bought my experience and knowledge. I need to help as much as I can, along with the other lads, to mould us all together so we stick together.

"We need to look after each other and support each other and hope it turns a little bit. I'm sure it will."

Despite fans expressing their discontent at their current form, Parker remains adamant manager Martin Jol is showing no signs of strain as Fulham strive to put distance between themselves and the bottom three.

"We have been unlucky but there have certainly been times this year when it has not been good enough," he said.

"In saying that, the booing doesn't help. But the fans have a right to express how they feel.

"At times the manager has come in for a bit but he knows what has to be done. As a player, I don't sense that he shows any pressure or nervousness around me.

"How he's feeling deep down inside, no one knows, but as a manager I suppose you can't show it and let your players feel it and he doesn't."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9014436/premier-league-scott-parker-ready-to-contribute-and-build-with-fulham?

WhiteJC

Tromso's Europa Exit

Tromso's slim hopes of qualifying for the knock-out stages of the UEFA Europa League came to an end on Thursday evening as a late goal condemned them to a 1-0 home defeat by Anzhi Makhachkala.

Josh Pritchard played the entire game and showed his versatility by operating as a centre-back – a role he has shown he is more than capable of occupying during his time in the Fulham Academy.

Anzhi dominated the first half but Pritchard and his defensive colleagues held firm to keep them at bay and with the second period lacking any real tempo, it looked certain that the game was heading for a goalless draw until Karlen Mkrtchyan popped up in the fourth minute of stoppage time to head in the winner.

The result means Tromso remain bottom of Group K and although they can equal second-place Anzhi's current points total, the head-to-head ruling means the Russians would remain ahead of them in the table regardless of goal difference.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/08/tromsos-europa-exit?

WhiteJC

Fulham winger Kacaniklic has no regrets over Liverpool exit

Swedish star quit Anfield in 2010 without making a first-team appearance for the Reds

Fired up: Fulham winger Alex Kacaniklic
Alex Kacaniklic insists he's got no regrets on his decision to quit Liverpool ahead of his Anfield return tomorrow.

The Fulham winger spent three years with the Reds, but left without making a first-team appearance as a makeweight in the deal that took Paul Konchesky to Merseyside in 2010.

Kacaniklic has gone on to establish himself at Craven Cottage following two spells out on loan, with his exploits earning him international recognition with Sweden.

And the 22-year-old says he made the right choice leaving Liverpool for west London.

He said: "I loved every minute of it. I had three great years, but the unfortunate thing is I never got to play at Anfield.

"I played for the reserves and youth team but never the first team.

"I was with the first team after the summer break, then Fulham came along and convinced me to come here.

"I wouldn't say I never made it, I chose to leave. Who knows what would have happened if I stayed?

"But I certainly don't have any regrets. I'm happy at Fulham."

Young gun: Kacaniklic in action for Liverpool's U18s in the FA Youth Cup
Kacaniklic insists he's got added motivation heading into the game as he tries to get one over on his old club.

But the youngster hopes Brendan Rogers' men make it into the top four and return the glory days to Anfield.

"You want to do well when you play your old club, so hopefully that's what will happen," he added.

"They've had a great start and I'm really happy to see them back near the top.

"Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard; it's a great team and I think they can get back into the top four, which is where they should be."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-winger-kacaniklic-no-regrets-6279206?

WhiteJC

Cottage target paves way for exit

Fulham's hopes of signing Tomas Rincon have been boosted after he confirmed he will leave unless Hamburg improve their contract offer.

The 25-year-old Venezuelan midfielder has recently been linked with a move to the Cottagers in the January transfer window as he will be out of contract in the summer and has yet to put pen-to-paper on a new deal offer with the German Bundesliga outfit. And Martin Jol's hopes of landing Rincon on a possible cut-price deal in the New Year have now been enhanced by the player's claims that he is not happy with what Hamburg have offered him and he will look to move on if they don't increase it. "I love Hamburger SV. But I will not accept this offer I have received," he told Hamburger Morgenpost. "I know all about my value to the market and if we cannot agree, I will have to go." Hamburg's general manager Oliver Kreuzer has seemingly paved the way clear for Rincon to depart as he looks unwilling to increase his offer. "Tomas Eduardo Rincon has been handed a good contract offer. I don't have a queasy conscience. Either he is accepting it. Or he does not."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottage-target-paves-way-for-exit-1661053.html?

WhiteJC

First-half feeding frenzy predicted when Liverpool face Fulham
The game was up for after 23 minutes for the visitors last time out and Liverpool are irresistible before the break.

A trip to Anfield is the last thing an ailing Fulham need in their current state and Liverpool, the leaders of the Premier League's half-time league table, are fancied to blast them out early.

Laurel resting is the undesirable habit which has seen the hosts shuffled back down to third in the overall standings so the 7/4 about there being most goals in the opening stanza is the bet to back here.

Brendan Rodgers' men are a confidence-inspiring 1/4 for maximum points, while the Cottagers are 10/1 for victory and it's 9/2 that the honours are shared come the final peel of the referee's ACME Thunderer.

Liverpool have smashed 13 league goals before the break, conceding three times.

The Anfield mob have been blasting from the starting blocks like human cannonballs from an enormous 11-barrelled doom machine and they've ended the first-half with their noses in front in all bar three of their ten league games.

By contrast they tend to sink with the ships they've holed in the second period winning just a single post-interval 45 minutes in the top flight so far.

Fulham have yielded nine of their 15 league goals-against in the first 45 minutes.

Luckily for Liverpool their visitors have developed a tendency to be caught on the hop in recent games, conceding two or more in their last three first-halves, including three goals before the 23-minute mark against Manchester United last time.

Furthermore Martin Jol has now seen the lion's share of the strikes before his half-time address in four of his side's last five games.

The Merseysiders have put recent matches against bottom-half sides to bed by the mid-way point.

West Brom were a speck in the rear-view mirror by half-time as Luis Suarez and Danny Sturridge sped off into the sunset like Thelma and Louise in their last home game.

Previously Crystal Palace and Sunderland were left similarly fighting for scraps after allowing the twosome to run amok early doors.

Top bet: Liverpool v Fulham - most goals in first-half @ 7/4

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/first-half-feeding-frenzy-predicted-liverpool-face-fulham,47612.html?#sthash.3NEDVGLn.dpuf

WhiteJC

Liverpool v Fulham

By Jonathan Pearce
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Anfield Date: Saturday, 9 November

Glen Johnson is fit again for Liverpool after missing their defeat at Arsenal with a jaw infection.

Fellow full-back Jose Enrique could also return after a month on the sidelines with a knee problem.

Fulham's Sascha Riether begins a three-match ban after his stamp on Adnan Januzaj was retrospectively punished.

Captain Brede Hangeland has returned to training following a nerve problem in his leg, but he and Bryan Ruiz (back) will both have fitness tests.

MATCH PREVIEW
Fulham boss Martin Jol doesn't fear the sack. He may not be frightened of getting the boot, but he must be aware that his chances of staying in the job are rapidly diminishing, and this is the worst possible time for Fulham to go to Liverpool.

The home side will be desperate to bounce back from defeat at Arsenal, and they've won five of six games this season against bottom-half teams.

The Cottagers, meanwhile, have the worst record in the league against top-half opposition - five defeats from five. In 32 trips to Anfield, Fulham have won just once - in the 2011-12 campaign.

Martin Skrtel's own goal that day was the only one they've managed in their last seven visits. Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge have more league strikes between them this season than the Fulham team combined.

Some bookies have Fulham at 14-1 for an away win. That's as unlikely as some dimwit suggesting a statue of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage! Well, crazy things do sometimes happen.

That decision, however, came under Mohamed Al Fayed, who was always capable of springing a surprise or bringing in a star name. Every summer they either made a marquee signing or brought in a string of good, experienced players.

Not this summer though, and now they are starting to look short of the class and strength in depth needed to keep them up.

From the outside, things don't look or sound right. I hope I'm wrong. Fulham is a lovely club. It pains me to see them suffer as they are.

I enjoy watching Liverpool playing right now though, with such freedom of movement, and clinical finishing. The two strikers are in devastating form, and the midfield has been boosted by Philippe Coutinho's return.

The Reds are still a work in progress, but with Sascha Riether's suspension weakening Fulham, there can be only one winner here, surely intensifying the pressure on the beleaguered Jol.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
Fulham have only won one of their 32 matches at Anfield (D9, L22). The solitary victory was by 1-0 in May 2012 courtesy of Martin Skrtel's own goal.

Liverpool have won both league clashes since that win, scoring seven goals to Fulham's one, including a 4-0 win in the corresponding fixture last season.

The Reds have only conceded three goals in 12 Premier League home games against Fulham.

Liverpool
Liverpool kept a clean sheet in each of their opening three league games but have since conceded in seven successive matches.
The Reds have won all six league matches in which they opened the scoring this season, the best record in the division.
They have been ahead at half-time in seven of their 10 league fixtures.
Daniel Sturridge is the joint-leading Premier League scorer in 2013 with 18 goals, the same as Robin van Persie and Christian Benteke. Sturridge's only Premier League hat-trick came against Fulham in May.
Jordan Henderson has played in every minute of Liverpool's 10 Premier League games. This time last season he had yet to start a league game, playing just 77 minutes as a substitute.

Fulham
Fulham have the worst record in the league against top-half opposition, losing all five matches.
The Cottagers have only once scored more than one goal in a Premier League game this season (4-1 v Crystal Palace).
They have only kept two clean sheets in 13 games in all competitions this season, but have kept three in their last five league visits to Anfield.
Among teams who have played 100 or more games, only Derby County (15%) have a worse Premier League away win percentage than Fulham (15.5%).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24783129?