watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Late goal definition

Started by BishopsParkFantastic, November 24, 2013, 08:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BishopsParkFantastic

Fulham's website headlines that we were: "....denied a draw by a late Swansea winner".

Swansea's winner was scored in the 80th minute! I consider a 'late winner' to have been scored in the final minute, or extra time, so what lame explanation of our defeat is that? The 80th minute for me, is normal playing time - and as for being denied a draw.....it's a load of stupifying hogwash!!

What, in your opinion, is a 'late winner'? ....and the most crucial 'late winner' you have witnessed Fulham score?

Cravenawin

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on November 24, 2013, 08:03:02 AM

Fulham's website headlines that we were: "....denied a draw by a late Swansea winner".

Swansea's winner was scored in the 80th minute! I consider a 'late winner' to have been scored in the final minute, or extra time, so what lame explanation of our defeat is that? The 80th minute for me, is normal playing time - and as for being denied a draw.....it's a load of stupifying hogwash!!

What, in your opinion, is a 'late winner'? ....and the most crucial 'late winner' you have witnessed Fulham score?
Bocanegra at home to Spuds. Legwinski also home to Spuds when we played at Laugharse Road. Also remember years ago being 2-1 down at home to Man City in injury time and won 3-2. That was in the days of the great Gordon Davies. Oh how we could do with someone like him right now.

Rhys Lightning 63

I'd hardly call it crucial, but I remember my first 'late winner' was Bouba-Diop against West Brom.
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

jarv

I said in a previous thread, under Jol, we need a 2 goal lead going into the last 15 mins, if we want to win. At least a one goal lead gives us some hope. Jol is the master of the art of coaching how not to play in the last 15. Take a look at the stats. I recall last season, but for late goals, Fulham would have had at least 8 more points which was definitely top 8. The trend continues under Jol.

One Martin Thomas

it's the "denied a late draw" in the title that sums it up.  Denied a late draw, at home, to Swansea  :dft007:

I think you are right in that 80minutes is not late in a match.

I remember our FA cup away match at Ashford a few years back now.  Those goals seemed pretty late from memory. 

Burt

A late winner for me is one where there is literally no time to salvage anything.

80mins is not late. 89 minutes is late...

Whatever, we seem to have a thing about conceding goals in the final 10-15 minutes of a match.

God The Mechanic

Is an early goal one scored in the first minute and not after?  I reckon first and last 15 are early and late.

Burt

City scored after just 14 seconds against Spurs. Now that's early...  :dft011:

nose

i would say 80 mins is a late goal. it's hardly a big matter but 80 mins is well into the final phase. it's not last gasp stuff but it is late.

filham

That goal was only late in the respect that it had been coming for a while, Swansea were well on top and seemed to be parked in our half with us only making the odd break into their third of the field.

DJinNJ

I think it's the context. When you break down a team's goal total by when they are scored it's usually broken into 15-minute intervals. So in a statistical context 80 minutes is certainly late in the game, but when you apply it to a single game by saying you were denied a draw by a late winner, it implies that the goal came so late that there wasn't time for an equalizer (as well as implying that we were playing for the draw at that point, since you can only be denied something you were hoping to get). I don't mean that there is literally no time, it doesn't have to be the last minute of injury time. But when it's, say, 87th or later there is usually a sense that you have blown it and it would be remarkable, but not impossible, to get anything out of it. Unfortunately, we seem to take this view when there are ten or more minutes to go.

Artful Dodger

Late winner has got to be 86 minutes plus. As for my favourite Fulham late winner, it can only be Sean Davis at Blackburn having played 50 minutes or so with 10 men. Unbelievable scenes in the Fulham end and Tigana running down the touchline. And it was crucial as it pretty much ensured we were going up as Champions!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae