watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (25/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 25, 2013, 08:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Rene's got his work cut out: Sir Alex's former No 2 must beat the clock to get Bent and Berbatov firing and keep Jol in a job

After Jonjo Shelvey's rapacious 20-yard strike, Martin Jol and Rene Meulensteen sat side-by-side on the bench, looking miserable, not speaking to each other.

Indeed, what was there to talk about? The task for Fulham in the weeks ahead is clear.

Defeats by Southampton, Manchester United and Liverpool had left Fulham in the relegation zone at kick-off and there they remain.

Double dutch: Rene Meulensteen and Martin Jol have their work cut out for them in the weeks ahead

Killer blow: Jonjo Shelvey struck a superb goal as Fulham suffered their fifth consecutive defeat

Saturday's home game against Swansea represented the start of a new period – a series of winnable games. Up next are West Ham away, who lie just above them in the table, before home games against Tottenham and Aston Villa.

There was an air of optimism at Craven Cottage as the game kicked off. Maybe the fans were optimistic about the 'Double Dutch' era, with new coach Meulensteen speaking well after being appointed as No 2 to Jol.

Or perhaps it was the warming sun, sitting low and flooding the stadium with light. But like the sun, which continued to sink, eventually falling behind the Riverside Stand, a loud atmosphere gave way to a slow silence as Fulham failed to capitalise on several early chances.

Backed: Jol's team received good support from Fulham's fans at the start of the game

Changing tide: But as Fulham failed to capitalise, dark clouds started to appear and the atmosphere died

The 2-1 loss was concluded by angry shouts of 'Jol out!' being aimed at the manager as he walked across the pitch and down the tunnel, trying to take the abuse in his stride by keeping his head held high.

Meulensteen and Jol want to play a passing game and that side of Fulham's performance was much improved from recent weeks, in the first half-an-hour at least.

It was ironic then, that their best chance came through a long ball, hoofed towards the Swansea box, which Chico Flores nodded carelessly into the path of Darren Bent.

The striker, having already hit the side netting with a header when he should have done better, steadied himself and then sliced across the ball, sending it ricocheting off the outside of the post.

It was a chance that he would he would have backed himself to score. A former incarnation of Bent – the predator who averaged nearly a goal every two games at Charlton, Sunderland and Aston Villa – would have tucked it away.

And while much has been said about the need for Meulensteen to work his magic on Dimitar Berbatov, to rejuvenate him and help him find the form that earned him the golden boot in 2011 with 20 goals, his work with Bent will be just as vital.

Spurned: Darren Bent had three chances, all of which he would have backed himself to convert

Frustration: Dimitar Berbatov again failed to have much of an impact on the game

That season Bent finished with 17 for Villa and at 29 years old now should not be past his prime. The Bulgarian is 32, but should not be finished either.

Last season he averaged a goal every 190 minutes but just has one in 950 minutes of Premier League football so far this season.

At the start of the game, Fulham had taken just 67 shots (excluding blocked) in their 11 games so far this season – a league low. That's one obvious factor to try and improve on.

Meulensteen's biggest influence will be on the training ground, where he will work with the players day in, day out.

He is noted for some unorthodox methods, including an exercise while in charge of Brondby where he would shout 'Boo' at players while they were ball juggling, to prepare them for intense atmospheres.

'You can't change the world in one week,' said Jol, pragmatically, when asked what effect Meulensteen had had after his recent arrival.

He explained that they had worked on the core of the team, trying to bring some stability to the side.

'We spent eight days working on the spine of the pitch. And it worked but we didn't score the goal,' said Jol, who picked Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng for only his fourth game of the season, alongside Scott Parker.

Hustle and bustle: Derek Boateng did not have a good game but added clout in the centre of the pitch

Boateng's individual display was disappointing – he was booked for a clumsy tackle on Nathan Dyer, could have been sent off for another offence later on, and gave the ball away twice in vulnerable positions – but having him, Parker and Pajtim Kasami all working hard stopped Swansea from settling.

It went some way to balancing out the energy deficit left by three players who offer Fulham little when they do not have the ball, in Bent, Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz. Adel Taarabt, left on the bench today, is another of the same ilk.

But Jol insists those players are important for his team and defended the Costa Rica international Ruiz, who was jeered off the pitch by angry Fulham fans, unhappy at his low work rate.

'He's my best offensive midfield player. I would like to get a bit more, but I will get that in the future. He's a very good player but he needs confidence and that's what I would like to tell the crowd,' said Jol. 'I want to use their qualities and let them (Bent, Berbatov and Ruiz) work together.

'Darren Bent is a goalscorer and he lives on confidence. Today he was very unfortunate.'

He continued: 'Instead of being 2-0 up [at half-time] it was 0-0. I cannot blame Berbatov, or Bent for not scoring a goal. In the past and in the future he will score those chances.'

The problem is, unless Jol can regain control of the ship with haste, and even if the Meulensteen effect eventually works its magic, it may be a future he has no part in.

There's the goal, Dimmy: Meulensteen must get Berbatov and Bent firing to keep Fulham afloat

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2512645/Rene-Meulensteen-Darren-Bent-Dimitar-Berbatov-firing-save-Martin-Jol.html#ixzz2lduwVS30
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Hughes: We'll Keep Battling

Whites stalwart Aaron Hughes insists Fulham will pick themselves up and keep fighting after a late goal swung the game for Swansea.

Don't forget, you can win a great prize just by giving us your take on Saturday's match!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/24/hughes-reflects?

WhiteJC

Is Life Too Comfortable Under Jol?

All is not well at Craven Cottage.

Following the 21- home defeat to Swansea, the jeering, chanting and booing aimed in the direction of Martin Jol, doesn`t bode well for the future.

Jol may well have brought in Rene Meulensteen to steady the ship but unless he can get the support back on his side he faces a huge battle to keep his job.

Following the barracking he experienced yesterday, Jol was honest enough to admit these are trying times, remarking to the media in his post-match interview about the barracking and turning the teams` fortunes around,

"I`m not sure - it`s not the best period in my life I must admit."

"I can understand why the crowd turned. They were with us in the first half but then in the second, we`ve gone a goal down, got back, then let them get the winner."

"You can understand the criticism. This is not about me - this is about the team."

"If I cannot handle it, then it would be time to get someone else - but I know these players the best, they know me and there are no problems in the changing room."

Perhaps that`s the answer, perhaps life, despite our predicament, is too easy and too comfortable!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=339719#ixzz2ldwSprZH

WhiteJC

Martin Jol remaining confident despite Fulham struggles

Fulham fell to a fifth successive defeat on Saturday despite the much-publicised arrival of Rene Meulensteen as head coach - an appointment under-fire boss Martin Jol believes will soon pay dividends.

The highly-rated Dutch coach was a key member of the Manchester United backroom staff under Sir Alex Ferguson and his appointment represented quite a coup for the west Londoners.

However, hopes that Meulensteen's arrival would prove a timely shot in the arm quickly faded as Fulham fell to a 2-1 defeat to Swansea in a match they started so brightly.

The loss was the Whites' fifth on the bounce in all competitions and resulted in the bookmakers shortening odds on Jol becoming the next Premier League manager to leave his post.

The under-fire Dutchman felt the full force of Fulham supporters' anger on Saturday, trudging off to a chorus of 'Jol out', yet he remains confident of turning things around alongside Meulensteen.

"Before the games against Man United, Liverpool and Southampton, we had a very good spell," Jol said.

"We played some good football against Stoke and Crystal Palace, we had a good tempo, a good rhythm.

"But after the three games and three defeats, he called me and told me that he would like to come.

"After a couple of tries, he said he would come and that is good because it is a different mouth.

"It gives you different things in training and on the pitch, but it is the same thing.

"He said he would like to get the best out of [Dimitar] Berbatov, for example, which is what I always try to do and it didn't pay off against Swansea. That's the only thing.

"You can't change the world in two weeks or one week."

The likes of Adel Taarabt and Kieron Richardson praised Fulham's decision to bring in Meulensteen before the match, while Jol said he masterminded the appointment after some suggested he is the club's manager in waiting.

The former Anzhi boss' appointment would certainly be welcomed by many Fulham fans, who not only turned on their manager against Swansea but also some players.

Bryan Ruiz, Jol's only big-money signing, took the brunt of the criticism and was jeered off the pitch when substituted for the second home match in a row.

The Costa Rica international made no mention of that reception after the match, saying those connected with Fulham "must not despair" and should keep a "cool head".

Despite such philosophical comments, Jol revealed the constant criticism is impacting Ruiz's confidence and pleaded with Fulham fans to lay off him.

"You will see in Brazil [at the World Cup] that Bryan is a very good player," Jol said. "But he needs a little bit of confidence and that is what I would like to tell the crowd.

"For me, I don't have to play but for him it is probably a problem if they get on his back and he can't produce what he is capable of."

Ruiz and his Fulham team-mates will get a chance to stop the rot when they travel to fellow strugglers West Ham next weekend.

Swansea, meanwhile, face an unenviable trip to title-chasing Manchester City after facing Spanish giants Valencia in the Europa League.

With such tough fixtures coming up, the 2-1 win at Fulham proved a timely boost for Michael Laudrup's side.

Swansea had not won for over a month before Saturday, when an Aaron Hughes own goal and Jonjo Shelvey strike ensured Scott Parker's fortuitous strike counted for nothing.

"We needed the three points," Shelvey, on as a second-half substitute, told Swans Player after his fantastic winner.

"It's important that we beat teams like Fulham because they are around us in the table. I think it will kickstart us for a good season now.

"I was disappointed not to start, but that's football. It was important to get on and show the manager why I think I should start."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/martin-jol-remaining-confident-despite-fulham-struggles-8960512.html

WhiteJC

Fulham improved against Swansea, but it is enough to save Martin Jol?

Even Rene Meulensteen can't save Fulham. Another toothless performance means another defeat – now five on the trot.

For what it's worth, there were significant improvements in the 2-1 defeat to Swansea City. The intensity was there – if only for the first 45 minutes – and there was at least a modicum of defensive solidity to be found without the ticking time-bomb that is Phillippe Senderos present.

Scott Parker was a good, if obvious, choice as captain. His usual doggedness was there in abundance as he lead the team by example rather than by iron fist – the preserve of Dimitar Berbatov who, again, was found lacking on Saturday.

As is always the case with Fulham, however, there were gaping holes to be found in our shape and a severe lack of balance to the team. Without a recognised winger in the eleven, Martin Jol left both Kieron Richardson and Elsad Zverotic over-exposed, with the former bearing the brunt of many Swansea attacks.

It also left the pair – hardly household names – as our only wide, attacking options. Zverotic was offensively poor, misplacing crosses and generally looking out of place. Richardson fared better but the Swans had a plan in place for him – more than can be said for Jol.

We were, yet again, incapable of forming worthy attacks. There were some snappy passes, mostly from Parker, but nothing penetrative. And when Bryan Ruiz left the pitch – he was typically awful – there was no creative outlet. That is one of Jol's eternal dilemmas.

But, as a manager, it is his job to solve such problems. Ruiz is no bad player. Technically speaking, he is one of our best, yet, simply, he doesn't perform. How does such ineptitude warrant a starting place? Favouritism? Lack of options? Probably a mixture of both.

The same can be said of Berbatov. Such a lazy, self-righteous attitude should not be rewarded with first team football but he continues to hold off Hugo Rodallega, Moussa Dembele and, to a lesser extent recently, Darren Bent.

For once, Jol's post-match comments actually seemed authentic. He wasn't trying to save his own back when he labelled our form as 'terrible' and stated the difference between success and failure is 'very thin.'

It certainly is, and we at least took a step in the right direction on Saturday. Is it enough to save Jol's job, though? His own, post-match words were hardly full of optimism.

But, they shouldn't be. Not after five straight defeats.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/24/fulham-improved-against-swansea-but-it-is-enough-to-save-martin-jol-4199942/?

WhiteJC

No support left for Jol or Berbatov after woeful Fulham's latest failure at the Cottage

If there is still life in the old dog, then he might wish to start showing it soon. That applies as much to Dimitar Berbatov as Martin Jol right now.

The mess at Fulham is such that neither man has much left in the way of public support any more. The booing at the conclusion of their defeat against Swansea was louder than it has been at any time this season and the 'Jol out' chants no longer come from small pockets.

It is considerably more widespread than that.

Resounding: Fulham boss Martin Jol was booed off at the end of the match and heard chants of 'Jol Out'

Failing: Dimitar Berbatov is struggling to find any form this season

Perhaps more worryingly - or encouraging, depending on your point of view - was the fatalistic tone of Jol's post-match words when he discussed Rene Meulensteen, the head coach he appointed a fortnight ago.

Jol admitted his hope that the former Manchester United coach's arrival 'would pay off immediately', but he did little after a fourth straight Premier League defeat to ease suspicions that the friend he appointed will ultimately be the man who replaces him.

'He would still have the same problems,' Jol said. 'And he didn't do this (work as a manager) before – he was an assistant for years and years. So it wouldn't be easy and I think he knows that. It's not about me, it's about us, it's about the team.'

Those problems run deep.

Slumped: Fulham stayed in the relegation after their fourth Premier League defeat in a row

Jol's defence is woefully vulnerable without the leadership of Brede Hangeland, who is injured, while his creative players, namely Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz, seem to have no stomach for this fight.

Berbatov has only one goal in 11 league games this season and Ruiz left the pitch after 77 minutes to a mixture of sarcastic applause and boos.

The poisonous atmosphere might also explain why only four of their 10 points have been garnered at home.

Significantly, Berbatov's confidence has all but gone and Jol admitted as much in explaining his decision to strip him of the captaincy at the weekend in favour of Scott Parker.

Installed: Scott Parker was named captain but it failed to inspire Fulham to victory

Jol said: 'I wanted to put the pressure on other people. Berbatov is not very outspoken, he is very quiet. Scotty Parker is more involved in the dressing room. So I thought it would be good to change captains.'

Parker responded with a fortuitous equaliser after an Aaron Hughes own goal put Swansea in front. But Jonjo Shelvey hit the winner his side deserved.

'The main problem is we concede goals,' Jol said. He knows it's more than that.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2512891/No-support-left-Maritn-Jol-Dimitar-Berbatov-woeful-Fulhams-latest-failure.html#ixzz2ldxY90wP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Scott Parker fears time running out at Fulham after defeat by Swansea
• Martin Jol says does not feel threatened by René Meulensteen
• Ineffective Dimitar Berbatov becomes focus of fans' anger

George Groves may not be allowed to take such punishment but Martin Jol staggers on for now, reeling from the incessant blows and insisting a fightback is imminent. The only two clubs below his in the Premier League have already replaced their managers this season but the Fulham owner, Shahid Khan, has yet to throw in the towel for Jol. They may be down, their fans may shout "Jol Out", but some folks, at least, still believe in a Rocky-like revival.

Conspiracy theorists suggest Khan has already planned for Jol's succession by agreeing to install René Meulensteen as head coach, leaving Sir Alex Ferguson's former assistant well placed to fill the managerial seat if his compatriot is ousted. Jol, who encouraged Meulensteen to join, does not feel threatened. "He would have the same problems and he hasn't done this before, he has been assistant for years and years," said Jol. "So it wouldn't be easy and I think he knows that." Instead Jol says the new arrival will help him stimulate improvement from a team that look chronically short of confidence and good ideas. Starting with Dimitar Berbatov.

Jol says one of the main attractions of Fulham to Meulensteen was the chance to renew acquaintances with the Bulgarian striker, with whom he worked at Old Trafford. Last season the capture of Berbatov from Manchester United was hailed as a masterful coup by Jol; but now, with the striker having scored just once in the Premier League this season and frequently allowing games to pass him by, Jol's continued faith in him is one of the chief grievances of the Craven Cottage crowd.

In an effort to coax more from Berbatov Jol had entrusted him with the captaincy before the visit of United to Craven Cottage this month. But that extra responsibility seemed to subdue the player even further rather than uplift him and the team – they went 3-0 down inside 22 minutes against United and have lost every match since. So, for the visit of Swansea City, Meulensteen's first match in the dug-out, the armband was taken from Berbatov and given to Scott Parker. "I wanted to put the pressure on other people," said Jol. "Berbatov is not very outspoken, he is very quiet. Scotty Parker is more involved in the dressing room and talks a lot."

Since the carrot of the captaincy failed to elicit a response, Jol hinted at the stick of being dropped on Saturday as he included the French striker Moussa Dembélé in the squad for the first time. The 17-year-old has been scoring prolifically for the club's youth teams and, with the senior players misfiring, fans have been demanding he be given a chance to shine in the first team. Yet it is doubtful that Jol will bring himself to abandon his cadres. Sure enough, even though Berbatov was ineffective again against Swansea and Darren Bent squandered three clear opportunities, Dembélé stayed on the bench.

At least Parker repaid the faith shown in him, the new captain excelling in a slightly reshaped midfield as Fulham produced an encouragingly solid first-half display. The hosts lapsed into familiar bad habits in the second half, falling behind to an Aaron Hughes own goal that an exasperated Jol condemned as "ridiculous", but Parker equalised within eight minutes, albeit through a mis-hit cross that dropped into the net. However, Fulham did not have the same cogency and thrust of Swansea and fell to their fourth defeat in a row when Jonjo Shelvey curled a fine shot into the net from 18 yards. "When you look at the table it does not look pretty," said Parker.

"We need to get some points and get them quickly or it is going to be a tough season for us ... If we can win a couple of games all of a sudden the pressure can come off and things happen for you a bit. There's only so many times you can say you played well without getting the points."

Man of the match: Alejandro Pozuelo (Swansea City)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/24/scott-parker-fulham-swansea-premier-league?

WhiteJC

Meulensteen would struggle too, says Jol

Martin Jol believes recently-appointed head coach Rene Meulensteen would face the same problems at Fulham if he took over as manager.

Meulensteen, formerly an assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, was drafted in alongside Jol last week.

He has been touted as a possible replacement for the under-fire boss, who was again jeered by fans following the 2-1 home defeat against Swansea.

But Jol is adamant that Fulham's problems would not be solved by a change of manager.

"Rene will still have the same problems and he hasn't been a manager before," he said.

"The problems are that we concede goals. The goals we conceded against Southampton and Manchester United were almost like the first goal against Swansea.

"It's not about me, it's about all of us – it's about the team. We are as good as our team."

Saturday's loss was a bitter blow and left Fulham in the relegation zone, three points above bottom club Sunderland.

But Jol is still confident Meulensteen will help them turn their season around.

Jol said: "I like Rene's philosophy. He likes to go to forward and I felt we needed another voice to say the same things.

"He was in a successful environment [at United] and the players believe in that, and I think we will be a success in the future."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-meulensteen-would-struggle-too-jol8466322?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol evades blame for failing Fulham
Manager Martin Jol bats away reports that head coach Rene Muelensteen will replace him as Fulham lose fifth game in row to Swansea.

Martin Jol insisted that any manager to replace him at Fulham "would have the same problems", after he watched his side lose their fifth game in a row 2-1 on an afternoon in which home fans made their obvious displeasure evident.

Jol says he is delighted to have added the former Manchester United assistant Rene Meulensteen to his coaching staff and has rejected the notion that he will eventually be usurped by his countryman.

"He was assistant for years and years. So it wouldn't be easy and I think he knows that." the Fulham manager said. "The main problem is we concede goals. If you saw the goals we conceded against Southampton and Man United it was almost like the first goal here."

Meulensteen has only spent a week at Craven Cottage but Jol believes that his squad are already feeling the benefits at the club's Motspur Park training centre. "On the Friday he started and has been getting to know the players. We trained with a good rhythm and there were no problems at all. Everybody was positive and optimistic," Jol said.

The Cottagers manager recently admitted to feeling "lonely" and, after he left the field to chants insisting that he should quit following Jonjo Shelvey's late winner, he said: "It is not the best period of my life."

Of hiring Meulensteen, who left Old Trafford in June, Jol said: "Sometimes you need other people around you to do the same things as you but with a different mouth, a different voice. That is what we did this week.

"I like his philosophy because he wants to go forward. I have known him for 25 years, he has been in successful environments and that helps. Players believe in that."

Against Swansea City Fulham started brightly and, with Scott Parker taking over from Dimitar Berbatov as captain, were not short of spirit. "Berbatov is not very outspoken, he is very quiet. Scotty Parker is more involved in the dressing room and talks a lot. So I thought it would be good to change captains," Jol said.

Parker shone in his new role and scored a fortuitous equaliser which looked to have earned his team a point. The former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder admitted that he shared the concerns from the stands. "I can understand why they are frustrated," he said. "All of us are and I can see where the fans are coming from.

"We are bitterly disappointed along with the fans. When you look at the table it does not look pretty. It is for all to see. We need to get some points and get them quickly or it is going to be a tough season for us. I think we know that."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10471215/Martin-Jol-evades-blame-for-failing-Fulham.html