watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (27/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 27, 2013, 08:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

All at Swansea: A Game Too Soon or a Game Too Far?
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on NOVEMBER 25, 2013

As we reach the end of November, a month adopted as Movember for many around the world, Fulham remain in charitable spirits when it comes to opposing teams.

Not wishing to flog a dead horse, there is little that needs to be said around the management situation at Fulham. It is really just starting to get very tiresome watching Fulham lose every week.

Questions in the media have shifted to Fulham as relegation candidates and what would happen if we went down. It is telling that while the fans tried to embrace some cautious optimism following Rene Meulensteen's appointment over the last fortnight, the press focussed on how Jol was now on borrowed time with his successor in place.

What we needed on Saturday was some glimmer of hope, some ray of light, a performance or a result. We got neither.

The sense of optimism that was palpable on the walk through Bishops Park – with the arrival of Moussa Dembele to the first team squad, Berbatov correctly dropped as captain and Boateng starting in place of Sidwell – quickly dissipated as soon as Swansea woke up after the first ten minutes.

While Jol's post-match comments touted Darren Bent's trio of wasted chances as testament to Fulham being in the game, only his missed header was created as a systematic result of team play. The others, and particularly the shot that hit the post, were the result of freak breaks in play such as a miscued Chico Flores header. Swansea on the other hand created chance after chance as the game wore on. Three outstanding Stekelenburg saves and a Sidwell clearance were the only reason the scoreline looked so close come the end.

37% possession and being double-digit outshot at home say more than the scoreline. It would be unreasonable to expect much from Rene Meulensteen's coaching in such a short space of time, it was a game too soon, but there was little for us to cling to in reality.

Any talk of the team carrying significantly more shape ignores the fact we had no width. Defensively there actually was more seeming solidity, in fact, Hughes and Amorebieta played pretty well for their first time together. It was possibly Fernando's best game in a Fulham shirt. Yet with Richardson and Zverotic having to push forward and act as almost flying wingbacks with no midfield support out wide, the team became bloated and overstuffed in the middle like a thanksgiving turkey. Boateng as a sweeping midfielder worked until he got his seemingly obligatory booking. Kasami was pigeon-holed to the left of central midfield for the mostpart and could only get into the game in fits and starts. Parker was the lone emblem of solidarity. His goal capping a captain's display.

Up front it was not the good, the bad and the ugly, but a case of ugly, fugly and grotesque. Bryan Ruiz was again lacking in substance, and struggled to get into the game in his role as conduit from midfield to attack. Berbatov got 90 minutes despite failing to have a shot and Darren Bent, only in the team to take the sparing chances he does get, spurned three gilt edged opportunities and showed the first touch of a steam locomotive.

The problem with this squad that Martin Jol has assembled of his own accord is that to get our best team on the field we'd need to play with thirteen men.

Maybe there were glimmers of hope. The more you think about it perhaps Rene will be able to have an impact. However, the main questions remain. Why not make the actual managerial change rather than a soft half measure? With Rene Meulensteen looking after coaching, it is Jol's job to motivate and finesse the tactics (what tactics I hear you sarcastically cry)? How then can he be excused for sending Fulham out the dressing room after half time looking like a fearful deer in the headlights, while Swansea came out firing like hunters going for the kill.

For the first time a tuneful "We want Martin Out, say we want Martin Out" was audible coming from the Hammersmith End. It didn't exactly turn into a chorus but it was clear and distinct even from a different stand. One fan had to be restrained by stewards for giving his opinion near the dugout in the Riverside. It could well be the case of a game too far for Martin's Fulham career.

Swansea wanted and deserved the three points. Credit to them. Their passing was crisp and efficient, but without their leading attacker, Michu, and winger, Pablo Hernandez, they could be forgiven for taking their time in sealing the points. Fulham looked like losing, especially in the second half. Was Jonjo Shelvey's goal a surprise? No.

The game at West Ham next weekend is crucial. Another week under the tutelage of Rene Meulensteen will hopefully give Fulham's players more chances to improve.

The Swansea match provided more questions than answers. With each passing game those answers will get harder to find. If Meulensteen's appointment signals that Jol's end is nigh, why wait? If it signals that the previous coaching staff were failing, is one man enough to save a system and regime mired in negativity and failure? Who selects the team and who chooses the substitutions? If, as appeared on Saturday, one man does one and one does the other then there can be little hope.

After a decade slowly but legitimately raising expectations brick by brick it is painful seeing them being knocked down at once by management and board's consistent stubbornness that eschews common logic . It'd be nice to begin to enjoy going to The Cottage again. Hopefully it won't take being in the Championship for that the happen.

In hope, fear and desperation COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/11/all-at-swansea-a-game-too-soon-or-a-game-too-far/?

WhiteJC

Fulham target Serero?

Fulham to target Thulani Serero?

English Premiership strugglers Fulham are reportedly set to bid for Ajax Amsterdam's Thulani Serero in the January transfer window.

According to SportsDirect News, the 23-year-old could be on his way to Craven Cottage, with the club's manager Martin Jol apparently keen on Serero to strengthen his side, who are in the bottom three after 12 League matches.

The former Ajax Cape Town playmaker moved to Amsterdam in 2011 and the report adds that he could be available for £5million in the next transfer window.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/39326/fulham-to-target-thulani-serero?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol defends youth policy

Under-fire Fulham manager Martin Jol has issued a strong defence of his youth policy, insisting the right players will be given a chance at senior level.

The Dutchman has also said he is "the first Fulham manager over the last 10 years" to include youngsters in first-team training sessions.

And Jol shrugged off reports of discontent among the club's academy staff at his apparent reluctance to blood youngsters.

"These talks are coming from the academy – there is always one or two guys with some connections in the press," he said.

"You get the same thing at any club, but the Under-21s are my responsibility – they have nothing to do with the academy.

"I told the coach of the Under-18s, Steve Wigley, that as soon as he sees a player who he thinks is ready then to knock on my door – and he never has.

"Can you see us fighting for our lives in the Premier League and playing 16 or 17-year-olds?

"It's not only about Fulham, you don't see players at this age playing in the Premier League."

Jol named highly-rated 17-year-old striker Moussa Dembele on the bench for Saturday's home defeat against Swansea.

Mesca has also been involved with the first-team squad this season and the Whites boss says he is hopeful other young players will make the step up.

"I've still got two or three youngsters that I am keeping a good eye on and they train with us sometimes," he explained.

"I am the first Fulham manager over the last 10 years who did that. When I came in, Matthew Briggs was the only young player in the squad. Now I've got five or six.

"I've got Pajtim Kasami, Alex Kacaniklic and Moussa Demebele – and Patrick Roberts will be a very good player in the future and George Williams too. They all train with us.

"You need a good team and you need to play good football, which is what we want, and then you can integrate one or two youngsters.

"That's what I did with Kacaniklic – he is from our Under-21s – and if you look at Kasami, he needed two years. It's not easy."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-jol-defends-youth-policy87221778?

WhiteJC

Jol denies rift with Fulham's academy bosses

Craven Cottage chief defends record of blooding youngsters into the first-team squad

Hitting back: Martin Jol says there is no problem between himself and Fulham's academy chiefs
Martin Jol has rubbished reports claiming there's tension between himself and Fulham's academy bosses.

The relationship between the Craven Cottage chief and senior members of the club's youth set-up has reportedly been strained over Jol's reluctance to promote youngsters into the first team.

However, the under-fire manager has hit back and insists there is no problems behind the scenes.

He said: "I told the coach of the Under-18s, Steve Wigley, 'as soon as there's a player you think is ready knock on my door', and he never did.

Young gun: Matthew Briggs has progressed through Fulham's academy into the first team
"I've still got two or three who I am keeping an eye on, they train with us on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'm the first manager at Fulham over the past 10 years who did that.

"Before I came [Matthew] Briggs was the only young player who was in the squad – I've got five or six: [Pajtim] Kasami, [Alex] Kacaniklic and Moussa Dembele."

There have been calls for Jol to throw some of the club's highly-rated youngsters in at the deep end in a bid to try and halt the club's alarming run of five-straight defeats.

Rising star: Moussa Dembele was on the bench for Saturday's defeat to Swansea
Martin Goldthorpe/Fulham FC

However, the 57-year-old insists now is not the time to experiment.

He added: "We are fighting for our lives in the Premier League, so can you see us playing a 16 or 17-year-old?

"I did it once and I don't think it was a very good decision. We were 2-0 down against Chelsea and I brought on Mesca [Tue Na Bangna] for the first time, but it didn't help him.

"You need a good team who play good football and then you can integrate one or two youngsters. That's what I did with Kacaniklic and Kasami, but it's not easy."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jol-denies-rift-fulhams-academy-6340504?

WhiteJC

True grit

NOTE: NOT A SERIOUS POST

Winning football is about making the best use of available resources. We actually have a fine squad. Here is how to use it successfully.

After much deep thinking it seems to me that grit, determination and a willingness to get muddy are what's missing. There is no room in our team for people who don't care, or who are pansies. We didn't need a new Dutch coach: we need to get less Dutch, not more. In retrospect it is a shame Tony Pulis was so quick to sign for Palace. We could have used his knowledge of old wars and I'm sure the players would have found Napoleonic anecdotes just the trick in turning this ship around.  Never mind. We can still make this work.

What is our all gritty team?

Goal: Stekelenberg doesn't really need to be gritty. BUT from a purist's perspective he probably spent too long getting over what only appeared from the tv to be a mild knock to the shoulder. AND, being from up North, David Stockdale is arguably quite a lot grittier. It's a tough call but Stockdale plays.

Right back: we lack real grit here but fans warm to Sascha Riether's bombing up and down the line. He just looks really busy. That's enough for our purposes: he's in.

Centre-back: Amorebieta obviously, for that punch on Dejan Lovren's arse. That's the sort of grit we need. Partnering him... we have a problem. Aaron Hughes gets the nod because there might come a time when a cool head is needed out there, but he will be made aware of his responsibilities to the team and should at least try to be muddier.

Left back is also a problem area. If we had grittier centre-backs we could slide Amorebieta across. Matthew Briggs for a time put a few strange pictures up on Twitter where he was attempting to look hard but it was never an attitude that he wore well.

Kieran Richardson did Sir Alex Ferguson a painting, FFS! God it's no wonder we can't win.

I don't know here, I really don't. Riise? No, exactly. It'll have to be Briggs won't it? At least he's home grown. There's something to that.

Midfield: Scott Parker is the grittiest player there's ever been so he's in (it must be frustrating for Scott playing with such an ungritty squad).

Grrr!

Sidwell charges around a hell of a lot. So does Karagounis. Derek Boateng gets stuck in. We're spoilt for choices here, we really are. Perm three of the above four. I would say rotate them but gritty players don't get tired.

Then Pajtim Kasami plays ahead of them. Nobody runs around more than Kasami. And he has that wonder goal in his locker now so is basically set.

Forward: Ach, what now? Geoff Horsfield is too old. Hugo Rodallega is injured and mainly anonymous but he gets bonus points for not having played much during this season's debacle. Ashkan Dejagah doesn't always do anything but his stock rose considerably during his injury spell and does tend to run fast, too. He's a lot like Riether in this regard: there may not be much quality but he looks busy! He looks slightly frightening too, which is not nothing.

Maybe the answer is to have Dejagah wide and Kasami in the middle, eschewing traditional forward play like Barcelona do. Then in the window we can sign Kevin Davies.

Team:

Stockdale – Riether, Hughes, Amorebieta, Briggs – Parker, Boateng, Sidwell, Karagounis – Dejagah – Kasami.

How will we do?

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/11/26/true-grit/?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham to send Josh Pritchard back out on loan

Josh Pritchard: Took in regular football during a loan spell at Tromso

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes Josh Pritchard's ongoing development would benefit from another loan spell.

The promising midfielder has spent much of 2013 away in Norway with Tromso - making 28 appearances and turning out in the Europa League.

He has now returned to Craven Cottage after expressing a desire to challenge for a first-team role with his Premier League club.

Jol is, however, of the opinion that he requires further fine-tuning of his game elsewhere.

Fulham have already sent a number of their young stars out on short-term deals this season - including Marcello Trotta, Cauley Woodrow and Dan Burn.

Pritchard could soon be following them through the exits, with regular game time required if he is to get his wish of becoming a senior star with the Cottagers.

Jol said in the Fulham Chronicle: "Josh is back. Hopefully he will get the opportunity to go on loan and get games under his belt.

"The structure in the club is that once they've played in the U21s for six months to a year, they have to go on loan.

"The only trouble is there's not a lot of clubs who will take youngsters who are 18, 19, 20.

"There are six or seven players still here who should be on loan. If they get the opportunity, I'll look to do it."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9043054/?

WhiteJC

Step-Up Or Face Relegation: Three Fulham Players Who Must Up Their Game

As the River Thames snakes its way past Craven Cottage, cascading forward towards the estuary, Fulham's momentum appears to be surging in the opposite direction. With four losses in a row, three wins all season, 11 goals scored, the second lowest total of goal scoring chances (74) throughout Europe's top five leagues, and the fact that only two teams have conceded more goals than Fulham (21) in the league, it would seem that Martin Jol currently finds himself in a bit of a pickle.

Fulham's unfortunate downturn in form is nothing new however. The Cottagers struggled in the backend of last season, picking up one win from the last eight league fixtures, slumping to 12th in the table as others overtook. A far cry, you might say, from the inspirational Europa League exploits of 2010.

New players were drafted in over the summer, some with established reputations and hefty fees, but the abysmal form has lingered with Fulham like a bad smell. Are the players to blame, or does Jol need to modify his strategy in order to squeeze the best out of what he's got?

With that in mind, I've gathered three players who need to start producing in order to aid in the club's ascent from the dark abyss at the foot of the table. Something needs to change.

Kieran Richardson
A Premier League winner's medal, League Cup success and two goals on his England debut. If his promising past is anything to go by, Kieran Richardson certainly has the required attributes to play far better than he currently is.

The 29-year-old has predominantly played as left-back this season – a position he first tasted at former club Sunderland ahead of the 2010 World Cup – pushing aside experienced Norway international John Arne Riise from Fulham's starting line-up. But, having achieved a dismal Squawka Performance Score of -38 in 10 appearances – the lowest total at the club – perhaps it's time for Jol to look for a replacement.

Riise is the obvious alternative, but the ex-Liverpool man is clearly not wanted at Fulham. In any case, the left-back position should have been improved during the summer.

Dimitar Berbatov
After the opening 12 fixtures of 2012-13, Fulham had scored 25 goals, with Dimitar Berbatov (5) and Mladen Petrić (4) claiming nine goals between them.

Compare that to this season, and although Fulham (5) have scored the greatest number of goals from corners in the league, with one other goal arriving from a crossed free-kick – six goals (55%) from their total of 11 arriving via set-pieces – Berbatov has hit the back of the net just once.

Of course, the talented Bulgarian's game doesn't primarily revolve around scoring goals, preferring instead to channel his efforts into being a creative menace throughout the attacking third, dropping deep to link up with midfielders in order to create goalscoring chances for others. However, Fulham sorely need the 32-year-old to link play with far greater pass accuracy (74%).

Only three Premier League teams have a worse average possession total than the Cottagers (46%), resulting in the opposition frequently having the opportunity to attack Fulham and ask questions of the defence. By haphazardly giving the ball away, Berbatov is treading the fine line of being a hindrance, not a help.

Sometimes it's better for a team to go back to basics and improve the core fundamentals that make a solid and well drilled side.

Fernando Amorebieta
Ahead of the 2013-14 season, the central defensive pairing of Fernando Amorebieta and Brede Hangeland looked impressive. Two robust and well-respected defenders positioned ahead of an equally admired goalkeeper in Maarten Stekelenburg.

But things don't always go to plan.

Amorebieta currently has the third lowest Performance Score (27) of any Fulham player to make eight appearances or more, failing to win 62% of tackles in the process. As a central defender surely you're supposed to model yourself on a robust and immovable wall, not a leaky sieve?

The former Athletic Bilbao defender isn't entirely to blame of course. Football is a team game, meaning that every player should help out defensively. Although, with 21 goals conceded and a forward line that has often consisted of Berbatov, Darren Bent, Bryan Ruiz or Adel Taarabt – less energy than you'd find at a retirement home – Amorebieta won't be getting help from the attackers any time soon.

http://www.squawka.com/news/2013/11/26/step-up-or-face-relegation-three-fulham-players-who-must-up-their-game/2013112638350?

WhiteJC

Meulensteen making presence felt

Fulham FanZoner Andy Lye gives his take on the Cottagers' 2-1 defeat to Swansea and the influence of new head coach Rene Meulensteen.

I'm sure all managers have a substitutions plan ahead of every game. Whether that be to rest, or not risk injury to, a key player ahead of another upcoming game, give game time to a fringe or youth player, or ease a player returning from injury back into first-team action, changes are likely laid out on a loose timetable pre-game.

That is, or should be, on the proviso that the game is going according to plan. But Martin Jol, like Roy Hodgson before him, seems incapable of selecting appropriate alternative substitutions on-the-fly if the game is going differently to what he had hoped.

On Saturday against Swansea, on the stroke of 60 minutes, after we'd just equalised and needed to keep up the attacking pressure in our hunt for a second goal, Jol pointlessly hauled off Derek Boateng, who apart from a couple of possession mistakes had been doing a fine job behind Scott Parker (quite rightly made captain in Brede Hangeland's absence), and replaced him with Steve Sidwell.

Sid did little wrong when he came on too, but it was a waste of a substitution, giving us nothing we didn't already have on the pitch. What we needed at that point was fresh legs (and more capable legs than the appalling Bryan Ruiz) to keep attacking.

With a bench bursting with wingers (and young striker Moussa Dembele, who everyone is desperate to see in action), we actually had that extra attacking capability in reserve, but somehow he waited another 17 minutes to introduce Alex Kacaniklic, and another nine minutes after that to use Adel Taarabt, needlessly replacing man of the match Parker.

Inevitably, Taarabt achieved more in his eight minutes on the field than Ruiz had done in 77, and had the change fans were calling for, Taarabt for Ruiz, been made at half time when it should have been, the game could have turned out very differently, once again highlighting how Jol's favouritism and stubbornness are our undoing.

Up until Aaron Hughes' unlucky own goal, we hadn't actually looked too bad. Our new head coach, Rene Meulensteen, had used the best part of two weeks with our non-international players to re-emphasise the basics, and an improved level of basic football was evident, even if Ruiz's constant sacrificing of possession broke down many of our moves.

We had more attacking intent than in previous weeks, created more chances than we have done in whole games before now, and players like Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent were getting much more involved than they have been.

There were also rumours that Meulensteen had in fact picked the team for this game, which explained the widely welcomed dropping of Calamity Senderos, and the attack-minded line-up which moved Parker's generally flawless passing further up the field in a kind of 4-1-1-2-2 formation.

Maybe he didn't feel confident enough in his assessments to also drop Bryan Ruiz, having barely seen him due to international duty with Costa Rica, or maybe he simply wasn't allowed to leave him out, but his willingness to get so quickly involved and take some of the key decisions away from Jol when offered is encouraging. Although I'd like to believe the substitution choices were not his.

This follows his comment upon arrival two weeks ago that Jol wants to "take a step back". Does he mean simply from the exertions of the training field, or other areas of management as well? It would be very interesting to see what approach Meulensteen would take with our squad if he were given complete freedom to do so.

As Berbatov's effort and influence waned after half-time on Saturday, he was a strong candidate to been replaced. Bent also, after three glaring misses, could have made way for Dembele to have a chance. Would Meulensteen take those big decisions that Jol stubbornly refuses to? He doesn't, after all, owe these players any loyalty. He can make purely footballing decisions.

He's also made his presence known at youth team games and training sessions, indicating that he supports the development and possible use of our young players, which is something we need to make clear to our best ones, lest they leave.

I think a lot of fans, judging by the louder-than-ever chanting of "Jol out" around The Cottage, would like to see him have a crack at it. I have the suspicion what we're seeing now is a six-month hand-over period anyway, assuming we get out of a position that doesn't necessitate the immediate sacking of Jol that so many of us would like to see. And it's not like Rene, or a different selection of players, could do any worse anyway. Why not give the idea a trial?

http://www.teamtalk.com/fanzone/15164/9043387/Meulensteen-making-presence-felt?

WhiteJC

The Goal Should Be Top Ten For Fulham

This season has been a difficult start for Fulham, but that shouldn't change what the goal of the season should be. Fulham have been in the Barclays Premier League since 2001, so the goal should should not be survival, but being in the top ten.

There has been a constant theme surrounding Fulham Football Club since I started following them in the 2007-2008 season, and that has been the fear of relegation. A season has not gone on since then, that I have not heard discussions about relegation.

Listen, I certainly understand the fear of relegation as many clubs have had a very hard time coming back up, while others have not been able to. However, the mentality to always think the worst is going to happen is just not the way I view Fulham even now.

We are twelve games into a thirty eight game season, so we are not even a third of the way through, and the talk about relegation is as strong as I can remember since my beginning of following the club. The funny thing, for all of the worrying that I have seen on social media because they currently sit 18th, they are only five points away from possibly being 10th.

The issue I have is the goal should be getting into the top ten by the end of the season, and not be pure survival. Fulham have been in the league way too long, and honestly the fans deserve that after all of this time.

There have been serious relegation scares over the years including the Great Escape, but even in the good years, like the Europa League Final season, I heard and read about fears of relegation. I think the focus needs to go away from this negative approach, and focus on how Fulham can end the season in the top ten.

When new Fulham owner Shahid Khan took over, he mentioned in interviews that for this season he wanted to see better for Fulham than last season which was 12th, and that fans should not have to worry about relegation. Well, with the slow start to the season, I can honestly say right now Fulham do not look like a top ten side, and they currently sit in the relegation zone.

However, that does not mean they will end there when we are finished with the league season. To get to the goal, I have mentioned, there is no question that change was needed, and we have already seen that with the hiring of Rene Meulensteen as head coach.

Rome was not built in a day, but based on the first half performance I saw from Fulham against Swansea, it was a very small step in the right direction. The change of formation in this match was proof that Meulensteen and Jol are trying to fix the issues Fulham are having.

Another change was naming Scott Parker captain for the last match, as he really is a leader on the pitch. I am sure there will be more changes to come, and we still have the January Transfer Window to add a few players to continue to the changes with Fulham.

I think the addition of the new Head Coach will help fix the issues Fulham are having, because he is known as a training ground coach, and hopefully what they are doing during the week now can be transferred to the matches. He is the biggest addition to Fulham this season.

I know there are many fans that want Fulham manager Martin Jol gone, but I have a feeling he will be given time to work with his new coach before any decision on him is made. I don't think a loss at home to Swansea will force the owner to make another change at this time.

One last thing I want to say about the Fulham manager, and that he should stop focusing so much on relegation as well. I have heard him mention in several interviews that getting to 40 points is the first goal. I disagree with that approach as I think the mentality should be to get to 50 points, because that could put Fulham in range for the top ten. I think by focusing so much on relegation, you are sending the wrong message to the players and the fans.

Fulham need to take a more positive approach moving forward, and strive for better, because the club and the fans deserve that. Relegation is a possibility, but it should not have the amount of attention it gets.

So how can Fulham move forward to the top ten? Like I mentioned prior, they are only currently about five points away from being in range. The first step is getting points as soon as possible, but improving from match to match. Fulham need to take it one match at a time.

On the pitch, they need to play solid in the back, to give themselves a chance to win. The back four I feel are the key to stability in these matches. If the defense is solid, the players in the midfield, and up front can then have the confidence that they can do their jobs, which is creating scoring chances and goals.

What it comes down to it, Fulham need to play as a "team" once again, with all the players being on the same page. We saw that under Roy Hodgson, and it has been awhile since I have seen that type of play from Fulham. My hope is that Meulensteen will instil that "team" mentality, while still having our players up front be creative.

It is his job now to marry a team concept along with allowing the players individual talent to shine through. This is simply "doing your job" and your teammates will do theirs.

In concluding, I will predict two things, and they are Fulham will not be relegated this season, and they will end the season in the top ten. Change began a few weeks ago with our new head coach, and now patience is needed because anything worthwhile doing takes time. I know I am going to be patient because I know we still have time to make my predictions come true.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/11/26/5147978/the-goal-should-be-top-ten-for-fulham?

WhiteJC

More on Meulensteen, Jol, and the increasingly bizarre situation at Fulham

This isn't a new topic, so I won't linger on it too much – but just an additional couple of thoughts on the Rene Meulensteen/Martin Jol situation at Fulham.

I wrote last week about how alarming it was to hear – via Adel Taarabt – of the differences in Fulham training before and after Meulensteen's arrival. If a squad is suddenly surprised by the workload involved once a new training regime has been installed, the chances are that they weren't working hard enough before.

More than that, though, given the obvious disparities between Jol's and Meulensteen's respective philosophies, how can they co-exist as a coaching team?

We know that the latter prefers a high-pressing, high-energy system, and that the former...well...doesn't, so what kind of compromises are being made between the two? And how long can those compromises be maintained before they start to have a corrosive effect on the relationship?

Jol's attitude is already a problem, and snarky gestures towards disgruntled fans at the end of losing performances will do little to repair the distance which has developed between him and his own supporters. He's part of something which looks, from the outside at least, very unhealthy at Fulham, and appears to represent the polar opposite of forward progress.

Meulensteen may have a flavour of the month novelty to him right now, but he is still the more progressive of the two, and there will surely come a point at which any compromise between he and Jol will have to be abandoned for a singular – and more beneficial – direction. If these were two men cut from the same tactical cloth, then maybe it would be different, but as it is, rather than bolstering Jol's position, Meulensteen's appointment has made him more vulnerable than ever before.

From the Fulham fans just wanting him out, Jol is probably about to find himself in a situation where they now want him to get out of the way.

This is only going to end one way.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/more-on-meulensteen-jol-and-the-increasingly-bizarre-situation-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Norwich, West Ham and Fulham - Stick or Twist?

What lies ahead for managers at Norwich City, West Ham United and Fulham?

The current season is now well under way, and we can start to see some trends emerging. One thing that is noticeable is West Ham and Fulham struggling, as well as Norwich continuing their poor form from the end of last season.

So this means that directors of these clubs have a vital question to ask themselves - to stick or to twist?

Should they stand by their managers, in the hope that they are the best man to lead the club to safety, or should they sack them, as the threat of relegation is too much for them to bear?

If a chairman is to stick with his current manager, he is taking the gamble that they are the best man to steer the club out of trouble. After a bad start to the season however, there is a risk that they have lost the dressing room.

Chris Hughton's team have been in bad form for while - has he lost the ability to influence his players? Do the players no longer have faith in his ability?

These are questions the Norwich board must ask themselves. Last season, Aston Villa displayed woeful form at times, including an 8-0 defeat to Chelsea, but owner Randy Lerner chose to stick with Paul Lambert and was vindicated when the side stayed up.

However Blackburn chose to stand by Steve Kean despite the fact he was obviously not up to the job, and are now in a terrible mess as a result. So this shows that choosing to stick can sometimes be worse than choosing to twist. Chairmen can also dither and only sack a manager when it is too late.

Wolves only sacked Mick McCarthy in the final months of the season, when it was too late to sign any new players, something a new manager would probably want, and when there was no obvious candidate to replace him. Two relegations in a row soon followed. So chairmen must take firm and well-thought-out decisions when deciding to sack their manager.

On the other hand, a board may feel that the time is now right for a change, that the current manager is out of ideas, and that they cannot risk their current form continuing.

They might also want to move for a particular manager before any rivals get there first. The television money for football keeps going up and up, so no club wants to miss out. They also know that their attendance will take a hit if they drop to the Championship.

So many will think they cannot take the risk. However, they have to judge what options there are to replace their current manager. A good candidate in former Stoke manager Tony Pulis has now been taken.

Chairmen would do well to learn the lesson of Wolves and be sure that there is a solid replacement lined up. They must also consider the effect of compensation on their club's finances.

The best example of a club choosing to twist is Southampton last season. They sacked Nigel Adkins despite him getting them back-to-back promotions, and were widely criticised. However Mauricio Pochettino has taken the club to a new level which Adkins was probably not capable of. In comparison, Reading stuck by Brian McDermott for most of the season despite some woeful displays and ended up relegated.

There is no clear route for a chairman to take. He can stand by a manager and have faith they will turn it round. He can think that a new manager will simply destabilise the team.

Or he can hope for a bounce in results from a change of direction. He can accept that this manager has simply run out of ideas, or stand by what he saw in him to hire him in the first place.

My personal view is that Martin Jol will be sacked, Chris Hughton might be sacked and Sam Allardyce will not be- but I could be wrong.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/11/26/norwich-west-ham-and-fulham-stick-or-twist/?

WhiteJC

Can Fulham continue to stand by Bryan Ruiz?

Bryan Ruiz has been in appalling form recently and Martin Jol needs to choose whether to drop him or play him in his preferred positions
(Picture: PA Wire/Press Association Images)

Out of all the individuals to be lambasted over the last few weeks, Bryan Ruiz has perhaps received the most criticism of all.

He's seen as dim on the ball, a little blasé with possession and, often-times, just plain lazy.  Pass after pass after pass will fail to reach its destination, while his dribble success rate makes for grim reading, especially for someone so technically gifted.

Fans on Saturday cheered his substitution after yet another dismal performance against Swansea City and it certainly wasn't the first time Ruiz has been on the receiving end of fans' vitriol. It's been going on for months.

Martin Jol has felt it necessary to leap to his player's defence amid these trying times. The Dutchman calls him a confidence player, who will only improve once the masses jump off his back. But, just like most things in football, it's a vicious circle. He won't be left alone until he improves.

And that is part of the territory, unfortunately for the Costa Rican. So how does Jol, and Rene Meulensteen for that matter, get the best out of Ruiz?

Dropping him completely is a little extreme, even though it is entirely justifiable. There is little creativity in the midfield department as it is and losing a link man won't help our scoring problems.

Moving him around could help, however. Of late, he's been starting on the wing an it is becoming increasingly clear that he simply doesn't work there. For starters, he constantly moves inside – which would be fine if Pajtim Kasami wasn't doing exactly the same on the opposite wing – leaving the full backs exposed.

Plus, his most valuable asset – his creativity – becomes lost in the periphery as he parades up and down the touchline. There'll be no trademark through-balls and no time for his intricate trickery.

As Jol alluded to, confidence is vital too, but that isn't something he is going to gain overnight. His international form, at least, is particularly good, and should help build some self esteem, but it's not running through domestically.

Freedom could have something to do with that. With Costa Rica, Ruiz is very much an attacking focal point and that is when he's at his best. With Fulham, he's working under constraints and the likes of Dimitar Berbatov and, now, Kasami, simply outshine him.

That's not to say Ruiz should be held up as a vital cog in our offensive unit – his displays don't warrant that – but he is too talented to just ignore. Jol should either play him where he's effective, or choose to not play him at all. And, with Jol keen not to knock his confidence further, you have to doubt it'll be the latter.

Again, though, it call comes down to the manager. He brought Ruiz to the club and works with him day in, day out.

Really, he should know how to bring one of his very own proteges back to his best. But he clearly doesn't.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/26/can-fulham-continue-to-stand-by-bryan-ruiz-4202606/?

WhiteJC

Aston Villa U21s 0-3 Fulham U21s

A trio of late goals saw Fulham run out 3-0 winners over Aston Villa in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League Cup on Tuesday evening to book their spot in the last-16.

It looked as though the tie would go all the way to extra-time at Villa Park as the two sides searched for a breakthrough, but the crucial opener arrived in the 83rd minute when Moussa Dembele's fine season continued with a composed finish.

Villa then saw a penalty claim fall on deaf ears and quickly found themselves two down when Dembele latched onto substitute Lyle Della Verde's pass before finding the back of the net once again.

And there was still time for French winger Ange-Freddy Plumain to add a third when he netted from close range in stoppage time.

The home side named a strong starting XI for the inaugural Cup game, with First Teamers Chris Herd, Nicklas Helenius and Jordan Bowery all involved from the off, whilst Fulham had David Stockdale in goal.

Fulham started the contest well but were just lacking an end product to match their neat build-up play, although Lasse Vigen Christensen and Plumain each drew a save from Jed Steer before Villa grew into the game as Bowery was twice denied by Stockdale.

Helenius then saw a chance come and go at the end of the first half and it was his side who came out the stronger following the interval, as he and Callum Robinson both squandered opportunities.

As the game became more open, it was then the Whites who enjoyed the better of the play in the subsequent moments, with Muamer Tankovic and Ronny Minkwitz seeing efforts deflect wide and saved, respectively.

With the final 10 minutes approaching, Plumain and Daniel Johnson both tried their luck, before the clinical Dembele popped up to grab the goal Kit Symons' boys needed. An excellent long diagonal pass from Minkwitz was killed by the striker's first touch before he finished coolly from 18 yards.

Villa looked for an immediate response and appealed for a penalty when Jordan Graham tumbled in the area, but the referee ruled no foul and booked Graham for his troubles.

It proved to be a crucial decision as with 88 minutes on the clock Dembele got in behind the Villa backline to collect Della Verde's clever pass and finish with aplomb.

And with Villa left deflated, Plumain was on hand at the death to notch from close range as Fulham ensured their name would be in the hat for the next round draw.

Fulham: Stockdale; Passley, Arthurworrey, Grimmer, Richards; Na Bangna (Della Verde), Vigen Christensen, Minkwitz, Plumain; Tankovic (Sambou); Dembele

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/26/villa-u21s-0-3-fulham-u21s?

WhiteJC

Fulham monitoring Bardsley's contract situation at Sunderland as Cottagers prepare January bid

Fulham are monitoring defender Phil Bardsley's contract situation at Sunderland with a view to a January move.

Having been frozen out of the first-team under sacked manager Paolo Di Canio, the Scotland full back has established himself as one of new boss Gus Poyet's key men.

His recent displays have not gone unnoticed by the Cottagers, in particularly new coach Rene Meulensteen, who is a long term admirer of Bardsley's defensive qualities.

Wanted man: Fulham are monitoring Phil Bardsley's contract situation at Sunderland

The former Manchester United defender signed for the Black Cats in January 2008 and has since made over 150 appearances for the north-east side.

Both Fulham and Sunderland currently sit in the Premier League relegation zone.

Interest: New Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen is a long-term admirer of Phil Bardsley

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2514065/Fulham-monitoring-Phil-Bardsley-contract-situation-Sunderland.html#ixzz2lpjeDoBA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Why Manchester United Should Loan Anderson to Rayo Vallecano Not Fulham

Manchester United midfielder Anderson should be loaned to La Liga relegation candidates Rayo Vallecano rather than Fulham, the Premier League club linked with a loan move for the Brazilian, per James Dickenson at The Express.

"I am only 25 years old but I cannot stay one more year and not play," Anderson said, via Stuart Mathieson at The Manchester Evening News. "But you cannot demand to play, you have to be patient and when you get your chance you have to do well."

Why Sir Alex Ferguson Ruined Anderson

Anderson is a hustle-and-bustle type of player ideal for the Premier League, but he was never a No. 6 or a box-to-box midfielder.

"One point was made a few times, that Manchester United were playing their expensive new signing Anderson in central midfield," BBC South American footballing correspondent Tim Vickery recounted during a 2007 coaching conference in Rio de Janeiro. "A role that no coach in his native land would have considered for a nanosecond."

Given all the ingenious moves Ferguson made throughout his career, he was bound to make an error.

In fact, two of his most egregious mistakes happened in the same era. 

The first was the shady £7.2 million deal for Bebe who might be a modern-day Ali Dia.

The second was forcing Anderson away from his natural No. 10 position, which robbed Brazil of their answer to Lionel Messi.

Ferguson went against conventional wisdom in shackling a once-in-a-generation type attacking player with defensive duties.

He disregarded the opinion of Anderson from respected footballing aficionados:

"Anderson (Shirt No. 8): outstanding individual player, fast, could take charge of game, skilfully linked up with team-mates, very effective on counter attacks, dangerous free kicks." --- FIFA Technical Study Group, via FIFA.com.

"[Brazilian] teams field two 'volantes' to mark and cover and two 'meias' attacking midfielders who operate further forward. Until he joined United, Anderson was never remotely a 'volante'. He played some youth football as an attacking left-back, but made his name in what was seen as his natural position as a 'meia'." --- Tim Vickery, via BBC Sport.

"After an uninspiring first-half, Porto swept home in the second 45, with their brilliant young playmaker pulling all the strings. Anderson crowned his display by creating the third goal, speeding from halfway and through the visiting defence before laying an open goal on a plate for his captain, Lucho Gonzalez." --- Andy Brassell, via ESPN FC.

Looking back in hindsight, Ferguson also ignored red flags as Anderson rolled his ankle at the most inopportune time in the FIFA U-17 World Cup final against Mexico and he suffered a broken leg at Porto.

His injuries were not a blip; instead they have been a trend at United.

"The only thing that has been frustrating at times for me is that I have had some big injuries. I had one year that was very, very bad," Anderson said, via Stuart Mathieson at The Manchester Evening News. "I knew my weight wasn't right but it was purely down to the injuries. When you have six months out, it is hard with the weight. But I lost it all in pre-season and now I am back to the playing weight I like."

Why Anderson Shouldn't Move to Fulham

Please don't think former Manchester United assistant Rene Meulensteen being Fulham's head coach will give Anderson the inside track.

Anderson moving to Craven Cottage is more beneficial to Meulensteen.

It will be his "See, I am useful" moment as he attempts to impress Fulham owner Shahid Khan, who could replace manager Martin Jol with Meulensteen.

Jol primarily uses a 4-4-2 formation or a slight variation at Fulham with Steve Sidwell and Scott Parker, who've combined to win back the ball 104 times, the driving force of the club's midfield.

In order for Anderson to rekindle the version which led to a £20 million transfer to Manchester United, he needs to play in a free-roaming No. 10 position.

Do you know what Real Madrid (59), Manchester City (58.9), Juventus (58.4), Monaco (55.9) and Borussia Dortmund (54) have in common?

They average less possession per game than Rayo Vallecano (62.7), a club previously known for hoofing the ball to Michu, being crazy enough to take a sideshow that was Diego Costa on loan (now one of Europe's best strikers) and Javi "tackle anything that moves" Fuego.

Rayo are second in La Liga for possession per game, first in long passes per game, third in short passes per game, tied for third in shots per game and if you've never seen them play, they are Swansea City on overdrive.

Five different players have started a game in the No. 10 position for Rayo, so they are yearning for a footballer with world-class skills who can propel the club out of the relegation zone.

This isn't just Anderson's chance to be a star again, but he can help save the job of Paco Jemez, who is in the same precarious situation then Mainz manager Jurgen Klopp was during the 2006-07 Bundesliga season—being branded a failure.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1866684-why-manchester-united-should-loan-anderson-to-rayo-vallecano-not-fulham?

WhiteJC

Why the Fulham faithful need to sort it out

To my continued dismay, I find myself doing a piece on the persistent failings  at Fulham Football Club, with the likelihood of a painful relegation battle becoming increasingly apparent.

As the norm would be to criticise the players and management, I am going to undertake the dangerous task of looking to take an unorthodox approach here and point a few fingers at certain sections of Craven Cottage.

Character

Being a season ticket holder of several years at Fulham, you come across many a character in the stands, and a number of them have begun to infuriate my calm mannerisms.

It is fair to say that performances on the pitch are well below par, and that Martin Jol looks relatively inept at this moment in time, but in times of need, fans need to look to rally around the squad.

Support breeds confidence in my opinion, and this is something that it is unheard of through the eyes of some fans, with personal abuse and heckling top of the list on match day.

Ruiz

I take the example of an unfortunate Bryan Ruiz, who's performances have not been the greatest in recent weeks, but has been the subject of vile booing by many at every given moment.

The poor lad looks frightened every time he is near the ball with the jury constantly out on the Costa Rican before a ball has been kicked in a game.

Such acts of pressure and determination to nullify his impact has led to a significant deterioration in the midfielder's form, with his creative talent evaporating with every game in toxic conditions.

The general consensus is that "he doesn't get stuck in" , which I argue, was not what he was bought to do. It resembles buying a Ford Focus and proceeding to scream at the car salesman when it fails to reach 300mph, Ruiz can only do what he is capable of doing.

Critics will take the viewpoint of "he doesn't care, he gets paid 40 grand a week", of which vastly reflects the unfortunate going rate in the field of work he happens to be in, but least we forget the man is a human being who holds an emotional side like everybody else.

I take the example of your average man at work. When you do something wrong in the workplace, do you have 25,000 people booing and hurling abuse at you? No, I rest my case.

Contrast

From where I sit, in the Johnny Haynes stand, you have a complete contrast of views, with a select few supporting my idea that Mr. Ruiz is only the tip of the iceberg of which consists of several other failings, coupled with the easier and somewhat less imaginative scapegoat choosing by a majority of people.

Now my personal opinion is to refrain from booing and chanting "insert name here OUT!", but I do not frown upon those who do, as it is a personal choice.

However, when we have yet to reach 10 minutes and you can hear people booing, it leads to you to the conclusion that this does not fill even the most confident professional footballer with the greatest bout of belief.

Undoubtedly football is a game filled with emotion, of which I express more than is healthy for me, but when this emotion becomes personal abuse and contributes to help negatively effect the performance on the pitch, questions need to be asked.

I will always draw the line on booing your own player. If a footballer is wearing the shirt of your club, you support him until the end, regardless of his performance, he represents your team.

In times of need, we need to support each other and try and push through the difficult period we are currently undergoing. Come on Fulham fans, sort it out.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/fulham-faithful-need-sort/75838/?

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with January bid for former Man Utd defender

Fulham are interested in Sunderland's former Manchester United defender Phil Bardsley, the Daily Mail say.

Bardsley has recently re-established himself in the Sunderland first team, having been frozen out by former Black Cats boss Paolo Di Canio.

But it is claimed that Fulham are monitoring his contract situation at the Stadium of Light with a view to tabling an offer for him in January.

It is also claimed that Fulham's new head coach Rene Meulensteen is a long-term admirer of Bardsley's defensive qualities.

The 28-year-old left Old Trafford to join Sunderland in 2008 and has made more than 150 league appearances for the Wearside club.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/fulham-linked-with-former-man-utd-man-phil-bardsley-of-sunderland

BestOfBrede

Well said that man!.......

067.gif  However, when we have yet to reach 10 minutes and you can hear people booing, it leads to you to the conclusion that this does not fill even the most confident professional footballer with the greatest bout of belief.

Undoubtedly football is a game filled with emotion, of which I express more than is healthy for me, but when this emotion becomes personal abuse and contributes to help negatively effect the performance on the pitch, questions need to be asked.

I will always draw the line on booing your own player. If a footballer is wearing the shirt of your club, you support him until the end, regardless of his performance, he represents your team.

In times of need, we need to support each other and try and push through the difficult period we are currently undergoing. Come on Fulham fans, sort it out.  067.gif