watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (26/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 26, 2013, 08:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Premier League round-up: Pressure mounts on Martin Jol at Fulham with René Meulensteen in the wings

Martin Jol, the Fulham manager, may not get the chance to oversee the promised transformation at Craven Cottage.

Saturday's 2-1 home defeat to Swansea was Fulham's fifth loss in a row and dampened hopes that René Meulensteen's arrival as head coach would trigger a rapid improvement. The result put even more pressure on Jol, who is the bookies' odds-on favourite to be the next Premier League manager to be sacked.

Jol insists he was the one who made the decision to bring in Meulensteen ("he called me and told me that he would like to come"), despite many seeing the former Manchester United coach as a manager-in-waiting. "He said he would come and that is good because it is a different mouth," Jol said. "It gives you different things in training and on the pitch. He said he would like to get the best out of [Dimitar] Berbatov, for example, which is what I always try to do and it didn't pay off against Swansea. You can't change the world in two weeks or one week."

Tony Pulis begins work as manager at Crystal Palace today with the fillip of a first away win of the season on the day of his appointment. Palace's 1-0 win at Hull City came in only their fourth match so far against opponents who might be considered fellow relegation candidates; their next three fixtures pitch them against Norwich, West Ham and Cardiff.

Newcastle United's recent revival continued with a 2-1 win over Norwich City – their third consecutive victory – and defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is confident the upward trend will continue, thanks to France's qualification for the World Cup finals.

Yanga-Mbiwa is part of a large French contingent on Tyneside and is hoping to join club-mates Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy in the squad to travel to Brazil next year.

"All the players are confident," he said. "All the players are happy and trying to do well to help themselves go to the World Cup. We need to keep the spirit to win the next game."

Gus Poyet, the Sunderland manager, said he would wait for a call from Mike Riley, the referees' chief who phoned Steve Clarke last week to apologise for an error. Poyet felt aggrieved after Kevin Friend sent off Wes Brown in the 2-0 defeat to Stoke which sent Sunderland back to the bottom of the Premier League. "Maybe Mike needs to call. I will have my phone on," Poyet said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-roundup-pressure-mounts-on-martin-jol-at-fulham-with-ren-meulensteen-in-the-wings-8961010.html

WhiteJC

Not fit for purpose

GettyImages
Fulham supporters have had little to sing about of late.

There's no let-up in the misery for Fulham fans after a fifth straight loss in all competitions. Despite whatever slant on the game Martin Jol cares to give the press post-match, this latest defeat was entirely merited, as Swansea for the third season running rolled down the M4 to take all three points.

Michael Laudrup's team stepped it up after half-time as the Swans sensed Fulham were there for the taking, and there is no complaining from this quarter as to the final score. On paper an own goal and wonder strike from distance by late sub Jonjo Shelvey does not tell the full story.

The 67% of possession enjoyed by the away side and their shots ratio of 21 to Fulham's nine emphatically does. Which is why, when boss Jol tells the media Fulham "could have been three up at half-time and that we have again been unlucky," then it is time to call in the men in white coats.

A considerably large number of people who follow this club have had enough of being taken for mugs. If the board cannot see the damage being done to this famous old club's image by continuing to tolerate the policy of failure and non-accountability, relegation may be the very least of our worries.

The knock on effects long-term in goodwill, sponsorship, club marketing and social events, along with erosion of the fan base will exact a heavier toll on those shirking tough decisions now than the mere loss of our Premiership status.

At present those voting with their feet by staying away are barely into the hundreds. But this weekend I see names on the message boards familiar to me. Supporters -- and their families -- who have travelled the road of dreams and dashed hopes, of euphoria and Europe thanks to the al Fayeds.

People who, like me, had black and white in their veins. Fans who would always come back for more down by the river because one day, some day it might be our turn to taste a bit of glory.

Now even those diehards have seen enough. Season ticket holders, having already stumped up with their cash, are finding it just too depressing to watch any more of this awful football and have stopped attending. Make no mistake, people in the ground are not crucifying the team. The board may wish to take us for fools, but none of us can take any more of this wrecking ball Martin Jol and what he has done with this club.

Jol has come out and confirmed, "We went after six transfer targets in the summer and we got them all." There you have it from the architect himself. And his house is falling down around his ears. The Dutchman has assembled a squad over the past 15 months that he somehow on the training ground has a vision of being good enough for the top eight. The sad reality is he's produced a relegation side.

My preview ran with the cautionary note that this Swansea game, despite the Swans own patchy form, may have come too soon for the Rene Meulensteen effect to kick in. So it proved.

Four changes from the last abysmal loss, but another defeat. No wingers deployed, so no width. The Whites persist with a system that does not work, a forward in Bryan Ruiz who is as effective as a ballerina in a bull-ring, and a forward who does not know the meaning of playing for the team.

Can we scrape up some plus points at least to lighten the gloom? The right man now has the captain's arm band. Maarten Stekelenburg continues to perform heroics, Derek Boateng with a run of games should improve the midfield. But where's the creativity, and where in hell are the goals coming from?

Personally, I would stick with Darren Bent, even though he should have hit the mark Saturday. His strike rate is just too impressive. Get someone up closer to support him in a 4-5-1 formation bursting through from midfield -- probably Adel Taarabt or Pajtim Kasami. We need at least one winger on the park. I don't care if it is Mesca, Ashkan Dejagah or Alex Kacaniklic. Plump for one and drill him and his full-back to get on the same wavelength.

We need to get back to basics and start trying to grind out nil nils to start. Let's hope for more solidity once Sascha Riether and Brede Hangeland return.

But going into a critical period of games, here's Meulensteen's biggest challenge for the run up to the year's end. Could he persuade Jol to drop Ruiz? I pray Berbatov is offloaded in January and we then sign at least three new players. Only then can we think about saving our season. The current squad is shot.

Right now we need new full-backs, the long-delayed creative playmaker and surely another forward (unless we are prepared to throw the 17-year-old Moussa Dembele into the fray).

Fulham not that long ago was held up as a model club, being run prudently and punching above their weight. That mantle has now moved on to others. Consider how much is being bled from the coffers in wages for Damien Duff and John-Arne Riise. What madness to still have these two on the roster. No wonder Steve Sidwell is holding out for a two year deal.

Somewhere within the corridors of power at Fulham FC there's a nasty smell. Something alluded to by former employee and Academy Director Alan Smith this weekend...Meanwhile Jol remains in place. Unbelievable.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1559?cc=5739

WhiteJC

Parker demands Fulham improvement

The league table is not looking pretty for Fulham right now and Scott Parker knows things need to pick up quickly if it is to avoid a relegation scrap.

A 2-1 home defeat to Swansea City was Fulham's fifth loss on the bounce in all competitions, increasing the pressure on under-fire Martin Jol and leaving the west London side in the drop zone.

Next up is a trip to Parker's former club West Ham United - a match in which the former England international, named Fulham captain for the first time on the weekend, knows he and his team-mates need to stop the rot.

"We were always in the game and when we got it back to 1-1 I felt we could push on for the win or at least get a draw," Parker, whose fortuitous goal brought Fulham level, said.

"It wasn't meant to be so we ended up coming away with no points which is disappointing.

"When you look at the table it does not look pretty. It is for all to see.

"We need to get some points and get them quickly or it is going to be a tough season for us. I think we know that.

"The key is getting some results. If we can win a couple of games all of a sudden the pressure can come off and things happen for you a bit.

"There's only so many times you can say you played well without getting the points. We hit the post and had a few chances but we didn't the win the game."

Darren Bent's strike off the post came in a first half that Fulham dominated, although the positivity around Craven Cottage soon disappeared as Swansea grew into the game.

Supporters made their feelings known to Jol and his players during the 2-1 defeat - Fulham's eighth loss of its 12 Premier League fixtures.

"I can understand why they are frustrated," Parker said. "All of us are and I can see where the fans are coming from.

"We are bitterly disappointed along with the fans. They pay their money and want to see us winning games and we are not doing that."

The loss to Swansea, for whom an Aaron Hughes own goal and Jonjo Shelvey strike proved decisive, was hardly the response Fulham had hoped for after Rene Meulensteen's much-publicised appointment as head coach.

The highly-rated Dutchman was a key member of the Manchester United backroom staff under Sir Alex Ferguson and his appointment represented quite a coup for Fulham.

"We have only worked for three or four days," Parker added. "It is a new person in the building.

"I know it is a cliche, but at this part of the season where we are, we have to stick together.

"Hopefully Rene can bring a bit of experience, guidance and something different to help us get some points."

Meulensteen is seen by many as Fulham's manager in waiting and has had previous experience as top man in Qatar, Denmark and, briefly, Russia.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1174365/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol clinging on to Fulham job

Martin Jol is on the brink of the sack after Fulham fell to their fifth consecutive defeat over the weekend. The under-fire boss watched in despair as the Cottagers crumbled at home to Swansea on Saturday, with the final whistle greeted by a fiery cauldron of boos and cries of "Jol Out".

The 2-1 defeat was their eighth in the league this season subsequently leaves the London outfit struggling down in the relegation zone in 18th. As a result Jol can now be find at just 1/3 with Sky Bet in the Premier League Sack Race, while his nearest competitors, Chris Hughton and Andre Villas-Boas, are some way back at 8/1.

On Saturday Fulham face a crunch clash away to London rivals West Ham, with only goal difference separating the two sides in the table. However, it is highly possible that the Dutchman may have been shown the door by the match. Meanwhile a defeat at Upton Park will definitely spell the end for Jol.

Reports are rife that Cottagers coach Rene Meulensteen could be set to make the step up and take charge should Jol depart. The former Man Utd coach, who recently arrived at Craven Cottage, is currently the hot 6/5 frontrunner with Stan James in the Next Fulham Manager Market, while Roberto Di Matteo can be found at 3/1.

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/25th-november-2013/martin-jol-clinging-on-to-fulham-job?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder made available for loan

Boss Jol hopes to send out youngsters to Football League clubs before deadline

Available: Josh Pritchard
Martin Jol wants to send Josh Pritchard and Fulham's other young guns on loan before the emergency window closes later this week.

The 21-year-old midfielder has spent the majority of the year over in Norway with Tromso, featuring in 28 games, including the Europa League defeat against Spurs.

Pritchard returned to Craven Cottage earlier this month as he bids to break into the Fulham first-team, but is well down the pecking order.

Jol has several of his Under-21 squad out on loan, with the likes of Dan Burn (Birmingham), Marcello Trotta (Brentford) and Cauley Woodrow (Southend) gaining valuable experience.

Loan star: Dan Burn is shining at Birmingham City
And Jol is hopeful there will be takers for Pritchard and more of his talented bunch of youngsters in the next few days.

He said: "Josh is back. Hopefully he will get the opportunity to go on loan and get games under his belt.

"The structure in the club is that once they've played in the Under-21s for six months to a year they have to go on loan.

"The only trouble is there's not a lot of clubs who will take youngsters who are 18, 19, 20.

"There are six or seven players still here who should be on loan. If they get the opportunity I'll look to do it."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-midfielder-made-available-loan-6336019?

WhiteJC

Parker Determined

Scott Parker admits Fulham need to return to winning ways – and quickly.

Despite Parker's best efforts, the Whites went down to a 2-1 home defeat to Swansea City on Saturday.

The loss was Fulham's fourth straight league defeat and fifth in all competitions and leaves Martin Jol's side in the bottom three.

"It's going to be a difficult year for us with the way it's started in terms of points," said Parker. "If you look at the table it doesn't look pretty – it's there for all to see. We need to get some points because it's going to be a tough season for us. We know that.

"The key is results. If you can win a couple of games, then suddenly the pressure comes off and things happen for you a little bit. There's only so many times you can say you played well and were unlucky not to come away with a point. On Saturday, I thought we played well. We had a few chances, we hit a post, but we haven't won the game."

Parker is desperate to help Fulham put of their current predicament and, after being handed the Captain's armband against the Swans, led by example, throwing himself into tackles, driving his side forward and hauling the Whites level just after the hour mark when his cross dipped in at the far post.

"We were always in the game and when we got it back to 1-1 I thought we could maybe go and push on for the win or at least get a draw," he stated. "It wasn't meant to be and we end up coming away without a point which is obviously bitterly disappointing."

On his goal, Parker confessed: "I think it was a cross. I'd love to say it was a shot and I'll tell my boys it was!"

The home faithful vented their frustrations at the final whistle but Parker said: "All of us are frustrated and I can totally understand where the fans are coming from. They come and pay their money and want to see us winning games. At the moment, we're not doing that."

Parker, who limped out of the action late on with a slight knock to his ankle, believes the arrival of new Head Coach Rene Meulensteen will aid Fulham's cause.

The England international added: "Rene's come in and we've only been working with him for three or four days. It's a new person in the building and along with the lads we've got before and the rest of the squad, we've got to stick together. Hopefully Rene can bring a bit of experience, guidance and something different and we can get some points."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/25/parker-determined?

WhiteJC

Foundation Is Highly Commended

On Thursday 7th November, staff from Fulham Football Club Foundation attended the second annual Football Business Awards at Stamford Bridge.

Invited guests from across the industry gathered to find out which clubs and businesses had excelled and been recognised for their off-the-field activities. Fulham FC Foundation were excited to attend after being shortlisted for the Best Football Community Scheme award.

After a wonderful evening, hosted by Ray Stubbs and Mark Lawrenson, the Foundation received a Highly Commended recognition for the work they do in the community.

Now in their second year, the Football Business Awards celebrate excellence and acknowledge success in the business of football. The awards recognise the essential role that business plays in football, the positive impact of the game on the community and the vital role played by businesses which serve the game.

Fulham Football Club has operated a community division for nearly 25 years 'building better lives through sport'.

Highlights in the application that earned the Highly Commended recognition for Best Football Community Scheme included:

• Raising £100,000 for a children's hospice charity

• Supporting 1,000 community volunteers

• Teaching employability skills to 1,000 young offenders, adult males awaiting determination of immigration cases and NEET young people

• Engaging 2,000 young people in crime diversion activities

Steven Day, CEO of Fulham FC Foundation, commented: "It was an honour to attend the Football Business Awards with members of the team. The work all the clubs do within the community is fantastic and being nominated for an award alone was a real credit to our organisation."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/25/foundation-is-highly-commended?

WhiteJC

Just Like Middlesbrough!

Flicking through the numerous tabloid publications available this morning, one small comment brought me out in a cold sweat.

Now I know the odds of what you are going to read are quite long and that, despite our recent run of abysmal form we`re all confident of staving off any threat of relegation, but somebody has pointed out something that makes you shudder.

Apparently, if our darkest fears are realized this season and we do drop out of the Premier League we will match the feat of a certain Middlesbrough who were, just like we would be, relegated a mere three seasons after competing in a major European Final!

Now has that given you food for thought?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=339822#ixzz2ljqCv3iq

WhiteJC

Castigating Fulham's Kieran Richardson

What's the first lesson any full-back learns on the first day of full-back school?

When the ball is in wide areas, try to block the cross – it's basic stuff.

So, with that in mind, have a look at Kieran Richardson's attempt to cut-out Alex Pozuelo's driven cross prior to Aaron Hughes bundling the ball into his own net.

In the commentary, this is referred to as 'a difficult ball to defend', but it's really not – it only becomes difficult because Richardson makes such a half-hearted effort to stop it at source.

Yes, the former Manchester United player is a converted full-back, but surely he has to make more effort than this? That's the kind of body-position that you see when a player doesn't want to get hit by the ball, and it certainly doesn't suggest that he's overly-concerned with shutting Swansea's attacking move down. There's no outstretched leg, there's no obvious attempt to take Pozeulo's space and time away...Richardson is as effective as one of those plastic training ground defenders.

New coaching team, same old questions about 'attitude' at Fulham.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/castigating-fulhams-kieran-richardson/

WhiteJC

Next Up: Tottenham

Next up at Craven Cottage are Andre Villas Boas' Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday 4th December (8pm).

Dimitar Berbatov scored the only goal of the game when the two teams last met, with the Bulgarian striker netting the winner in a 1-0 defeat of Spurs at White Hart Lane in March 2013.

Like Berbatov, Adel Taarabt, Scott Parker and Darren Bent have all lined up for the North London club in previous seasons, while Manager Martin Jol took charge of Tottenham from 2004 to 2007.

Tickets for this game are available to buy on General Sale and can be purchased online at fulhamfc.com/tickets or by calling 0843 208 1234.

Make sure you're at the Cottage for this London derby under the lights, but your tickets today.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/25/next-at-home-spurs?

WhiteJC

Sam Allardyce targets victory over Fulham

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce has said that his team are focused on beating Fulham in their Premier League meeting this weekend.

The Hammers were beaten 3-0 by Chelsea in their last outing and Allardyce has challenged his players to rediscover their confidence with a win against the Cottagers on Saturday.

"I've got to keep instilling the confidence in the players," he told the club's official website. "I saw a little ebb of a lack of confidence when the first goal went in against Chelsea, which I haven't seen this season. We've always been very positive and always given our all even though we've failed to turn lots of good performances into wins.

"It's my job to pick the players up and remind them of the previous performances we've had home and away and make sure we get to that level and stop those fears creeping in against a Fulham side, which will offer us the chance to get three points.

"We must keep a clear head and focus on playing on how I know they can play. I'm in charge and my results aren't going well at the moment and so I am going to what I can do to put it right."

West Ham are 17th in the Premier League table.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/west-ham-united/news/allardyce-targets-victory-over-fulham_120174.html

WhiteJC

Fulham – Where will the points come from?

When the Premier League creeps closer to the month of December fans of the most entertaining league in the world can usually grasp an idea of the likely relegation candidates. Last season Queens Park Rangers gave the impression of a relegated side from the minute the Premier League began – in fact I favoured such a possibility during the summer when their recruitment went into overdrive, an article that didn't go down too well with the QPR faithful!
Sometimes the majority of EPL fans can see a side that is clearly not cut out for the standard of the league, and early signs this season would point at Crystal Palace, although their win over Hull City at the weekend is cause for hope, for Eagles fans across the world.

Another side who strike me as a struggling outfit are Martin Jol's Fulham. Last season they managed to scrape clear of the dreaded relegation zone and secure safety but in a summer when the club should have added strength and depth to their squad – they could only manage to lure Darren Bent from Aston Villa on loan to aid their forward line.

That feeling of a lack of progress is well-known to myself as a Newcastle United fan, and last season was one to forget for Alan Pardew's men too as his French legion just managed to avoid relegation by the skin of their teeth. Bent happened to be a summer target for us as well, but he ended up at Craven Cottage while we opted for Loic Remy instead, not a bad decision looking back at it!

On Saturday last Fulham suffered yet another home defeat, falling to a Swansea City side who have not enjoyed the best start to a Premier League campaign themselves. Jonjo Shelvey secured all three points for the travelling Swans, while Martin Jol's men were forced to remain in the bottom three.

Quite a basic rule of thumb in football is if you happen to have played more games then you have points – then there is a problem, a rather large one indeed. Fulham have amassed 10 points from 12 games, and their fixture list isn't getting any easier as the highly anticipated action packed Christmas period approaches.

Rene Meulensteen, Fulham assistant manager.The arrival of Rene Meulesteen is a positive move by the hierarchy as the ex-United coach has that winning mentality and grit that came with years of service to Alex Ferguson. If the London outfit are to remain in the Premier League, then you can be sure that Rene will have a huge part to play in the mission.

There is cause for hope at Craven Cottage though, and the performances against Swansea City on Saturday was not one of their worst. In fact, on account of the post – Fulham may well have snatched all three points with Darren Bent's rasping attempt.

My concerns though lie with their actual playing squad. A forward line of Darren Bent and the mercurial Dimitar Berbatov supported by a midfield of Adel Taarabt, Steve Sidwell, and Scott Parker does not inspire great attacking prowess, and one has to question whether quite a few of the Fulham squad have the legs to put together a solid string of form to lift them away from the relegation zone.

Darren Bent is a natural finisher and is an almost cast-iron guarantee of goals if he has the service. Bryan Ruiz is another extremely talented footballer if given the right role and a certain freedom to roam across the park.

With West Ham, Tottenham, Aston Villa, and Everton all awaiting Fulham in the next four fixtures – one has to ask where will the points come from to shape a better looking Premier League table for Jol's men come the New Year?

http://www.footballdigest.org/2013/11/25/fulham-will-points-come/?

WhiteJC

Keeping the wolves from the door

6′   Attempt blocked. Jonathan De Guzmán (Swansea City) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked.
10′   Attempt blocked. Wilfried Bony (Swansea City) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Álex Pozuelo.
11′   Attempt blocked. Roland Lamah (Swansea City) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Ben Davies.
23′   Attempt blocked. Roland Lamah (Swansea City) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Jonathan De Guzmán.
25′   Attempt missed. Ashley Williams (Swansea City) header from the right side of the box is high and wide to the left. Assisted by Jonathan De Guzmán with a cross following a corner.
31′   Attempt missed. Nathan Dyer (Swansea City) header from the centre of the box is too high. Assisted by Roland Lamah with a cross.
35′   Attempt missed. Roland Lamah (Swansea City) left footed shot from outside the box misses to the right. Assisted by Nathan Dyer.
37′   Attempt blocked. Wilfried Bony (Swansea City) header from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Jonathan De Guzmán with a cross.
40′   Attempt missed. Wilfried Bony (Swansea City) header from the centre of the box misses to the left. Assisted by Angel Rangel with a cross.
42′   Attempt saved. Nathan Dyer (Swansea City) right footed shot from the right side of the box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Álex Pozuelo.
46′   Attempt missed. Wilfried Bony (Swansea City) left footed shot from the left side of the six yard box misses to the right. Assisted by Jonathan De Guzmán with a cross.
47′   Attempt missed. Roland Lamah (Swansea City) left footed shot from the left side of the box misses to the right. Assisted by Ben Davies.
50′   Attempt saved. Jonathan De Guzmán (Swansea City) left footed shot from outside the box is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Angel Rangel.
53′   Attempt blocked. Ben Davies (Swansea City) right footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Álex Pozuelo.
54′   Attempt blocked. Ben Davies (Swansea City) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Angel Rangel.
58′   Attempt blocked. Nathan Dyer (Swansea City) left footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Álex Pozuelo.
64′   Attempt saved. Wilfried Bony (Swansea City) left footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Roland Lamah.
69′   Attempt missed. Wilfried Bony (Swansea City) right footed shot from the right side of the box is close, but misses to the right. Assisted by Álex Pozuelo.
70′   Attempt blocked. Álex Pozuelo (Swansea City) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked.
72′   Attempt saved. Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City) right footed shot from outside the box is saved in the top right corner.
79′   Goal! Fulham 1, Swansea City 2. Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City) right footed shot from outside the box to the top right corner. Assisted by Roland Lamah.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/keeping-the-wolves-from-the-door/?

WhiteJC

Hughton and Jol in Premier League sack race shootout
Managerial pairing could go head-to-head to be next Premier League departure

Defeat to Swansea City has left Martin Jol as the favourite to be the next Premier League manager to leave his post, but don't rule out Norwich City boss Chris Hughton beating him to the punch just yet.

The Dutchman is currently priced at 1/3 to be the next to leave, but with his former Spurs assistant Hughton available at 7/1, the ex-Newcastle boss offers real value given recent developments at both clubs.

For Jol, the arrival of Rene Meulensteen may actually offer him a lifeline at Craven Cottage, with the newly-installed owner evidently keen to give his manager time to turn things around.

Speaking after the Swans loss, he even went so far as to explain that the decision to appoint the former Manchester United coach was something he had called for in recent weeks, dispelling any suggestions that the club had gone behind his back.

"It is good because it is a different mouth... It gives you different things in training and on the pitch," he told the Independent.

"He said he would like to get the best out of [Dimitar] Berbatov, for example, which is what I always try to do and it didn't pay off against Swansea. That's the only thing."

And though next weekend's trip to fellow strugglers West Ham remains crucial, the atmosphere around the Cottagers boss remains resilient – a stark contrast to the turmoil at Norwich City.

A 2-1 defeat to Newcastle United may not have been a terrible result for the Canaries, but with a series of basic defending errors, the steely rearguard Hughton traditionally instills in his charges appears to have evaporated.

In fact, Norwich could be in danger of doing an Ipswich – who famously went down in 2002 after replacing the hard-working core of the team that finished fifth with a series of big-money foreign signings who ultimately flopped.

With Ricky van Wolfswinkel proving little more than an amusing name and the likes of Gary Hooper failing to score on a regular basis, things are looking tough for the East Anglian club and Hughton.

Rumours are also continuing to circulate linking former club favourite Malky Mackay with a return to Carrow Road, with the Scot still reportedly unhappy with the running of current side Cardiff City under Vincent Tan.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce remains at 7/1 to leave next and though Jol is the bookies' choice, backing a departure from either of the other two Premier League strugglers could prove a shrewd move.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/hughton-and-jol-in-premier-leauge-sack-race-shootout_179018.html

WhiteJC

U21 Cup Preview

Kit Symons' side kick-off their involvement in the inaugural Barclays Under-21 Premier League Cup on Tuesday night with a trip to Villa Park, where they face Aston Villa (7pm).

Following the introduction of the Barclays Under-21 Premier League last season, the knock-out competition provides further invaluable experience for our young players as the Whites look to transfer their league form to cup football.

With five wins and four draws from their nine fixtures so far, Fulham currently occupy second-spot (one point behind West Ham United in the 22-team league) going into Tuesday's last 32 encounter against 17th-placed Villa.

"They [Aston Villa] are always going to be strong, especially at this level – where in recent years they have really set the benchmark," said Under-21 Manager Symons to fulhamfc.com. "A lot of their boys will have formed the group that won last season's NextGen Series, so there's obviously a lot of talent at their disposal.

"They play good football, fight for one another and will look to make the most of their home advantage of course. It will be a great experience for our players to play at Villa Park, though, and hopefully they will rise to the occasion.

"We have experience of playing at Craven Cottage, so it will be a new test for us running out in front of what will predominantly be Villa fans. But this is what the competition is all about, and make no mistake, we want to do as well as we can.

"This is a fantastic opportunity, and we have ambitions of going all the way to the final – that's what you set out to achieve. It's a different proposition, in the league you can afford to have a couple of off days, but in cup football you don't have that luxury.

"So it will be interesting to see how the boys cope with that. On our day, we are a match for any side, so hopefully it will be our night."

Last time out, Fulham defeated Bolton Wanderers 3-1 with Moussa Dembele (2) and Buomesca Tue Na Bangna on target in Lancashire, while opponents Villa went down 4-2 at Arsenal.

"We're having a good season," added Symons. "But as I have said, this is a one-off match. Preparation wise, I can't praise my boys enough, though, because they've been working extremely hard.

"But that has been the case all year, and as a result, they've set some incredible standards for themselves both in terms of commitment and the quality of their football. We're a very ambitious group and I like to think that we have every chance of doing well."

• Under-21s fixtures and results.

• Barclays Under-21 Premier League table.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/25/u21-preview?

WhiteJC

We can't afford any more spankings, can we?

That's right, Saturday's spanking by Mourinho's Chelsea at home has dropped the Hammers right in it. The Hammers now find themselves sitting precariously above the dropzone with just Fulham, Crystal Palace and Sunderland propping them up.

Just a dismal 10 points from 12 games has turned the club into the whipping boys for the rest of the English Premier League.

Coupled with the fact that West Ham United have Winston Reid out and no sign of Carroll returning just yet, the Hammers are in a very dangerous position even at the early stages of this new season. Clubs that West Ham are supposed to be beating are giving us a "run for their money".

How many more spankings are we to receive before the board call time on Allardyce? The big man seems to have run out of ideas for the club who are poised to enter a new era with the move to the new Olympic Stadium. Does the board fully realise the consequences that West Ham could face if they end up back in the Championship?

"We knew we had to win this game because of the focus on us going into it. Our away form has not been good enough," said ex Hammer Frank Lampard. "It was a complete performance. We dominated from the start, showed great intent and won it pretty comfortably."

The club is running out of ideas and Allardyce has to take much of the flack. Wonderkid Ravel Morrison is probably living off borrowed time at the club if they don't start pulling their socks up. A talent like that will surely be heading out of the door if things do not turn around soon. I saw him on Saturday and at times he doesn't look like having a team around him that can read his magical moves. What does he have to do, do it all by himself?

The young man is a potential Messi or Ronaldo in the making and he cannot get top quality service. Players like him need to grow and mature and he needs like-minded people around him to help him do that. Sadly, after watching Saturday's game, it's your guess against mine if the Hammers hope to hang onto such a raw talent.

West Ham's next game is against Fulham at the Boleyn ground and we need to start sticking the goals in. If they fail in their quest to spank Fulham then the Hammers deserve to be in the drop zone.

http://westhamunitedblog.co.uk/2013/11/25/we-cant-afford-any-more-spankings-can-we/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Linked to Bundesliga Raid

Something that almost slipped under the radar this weekend was a transfer rumour involving a player who was once tipped for greatness.

Whilst at Chelsea, Michael Mancienne played for England at every level apart from full international.

However, breaking into Chelsea`s first team proved a touch to hard and Mancienne, after a spell at Wolves, moved to Hamburg, in the Bundesliga.

His time there appears to be at an end though with the player, now 25, being offered to Premier League clubs.

Our spies tell us that Fulham, along with Swansea and Stoke, are keen on the player but would prefer a January loan deal.

It remains to see if we get our way or whether Hamburg get the transfer fee they feel they deserve.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=339858#ixzz2ljt4ndYa

WhiteJC

Fulham to bid for Ajax midfielder

Fulham manager Martin Jol will look to raid his old club Ajax for the signing of South African midfielder Thulani Serero this January.

The Dutchman is under pressure at Craven Cottage after a poor start to the season, and SportsDirect News understands that he is hoping to strengthen his squad at the next opportunity.

Serero, 23, is considered a promising prospect at Ajax, though he has not managed to establish himself as a first-team regular since joining the club in 2011, and could be tempted by a switch to the Premier League.

With Fulham performing so badly at the moment, it remains to be seen if Jol will still be in the job by the turn of the year, but he remains committed to his role and is already working on targets to improve his side's chances of staying up.

Serero is an attack-minded midfielder, who has scored 3 goals in 12 appearances for Ajax this season, and who could be available for around £5million.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/football-transfer-window/36398-fulham-to-bid-for-ajax-midfielder.php#.UpReX6UcKbA

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 26, 2013, 08:29:56 AM

What's the first lesson any full-back learns on the first day of full-back school?

So, with that in mind, have a look at Kieran Richardson's attempt to cut-out Alex Pozuelo's driven cross prior to Aaron Hughes bundling the ball into his own net.

In the commentary, this is referred to as 'a difficult ball to defend', but it's really not – it only becomes difficult because Richardson makes such a half-hearted effort to stop it at source.

Yes, the former Manchester United player is a converted full-back, but surely he has to make more effort than this? That's the kind of body-position that you see when a player doesn't want to get hit by the ball, and it certainly doesn't suggest that he's overly-concerned with shutting Swansea's attacking move down. There's no outstretched leg, there's no obvious attempt to take Pozeulo's space and time away...Richardson is as effective as one of those plastic training ground defenders.

Sums his performances up quite nicely. He is a fraud of a footballer.

Chesh

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 26, 2013, 10:01:37 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on November 26, 2013, 08:29:56 AM

Sums his performances up quite nicely. He is a fraud of a footballer.

Not deflecting from Richardson's ineptitude, but Amorebieta's defending was also a joke during this goal.

If he had been goal-side of Bony (I think it was), instead of being wrong-side with a token pull of the shirt as his only effort, then he would have been in position to clear the ball before it came onto Hughes.

To be fair, imo Hughes is least to blame of the lot of them.

Coupled with Amorebieta's pathetic aerial defending at Anfield, I am concerned that we have bought another dud, just because he was available.

To be fair he looks good at left back, but as a centre-half he has been woefully inadequate.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)