watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

No Zamora in the England squad

Started by Yarden, May 11, 2010, 01:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yarden

England coach Fabio Capello has named Gareth Barry and Jamie Carragher in his 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup.

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has come out of retirement to be named in the squad to help provide cover in defence.

Manchester City midfielder Barry was a major doubt for the squad after picking up an ankle injury last week, but Capello has taken a gamble on his fitness.

As a result of Barry's inclusion Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves has been omitted after he was tipped to replace Barry in the selection.

Tottenham quintet Ledley King, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch have been included in the squad.

King has been given the nod despite his injury problems, but Wes Brown and

Joleon Lescott have both been left out.

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole has made the squad despite struggling to hold down a place in the Blues side this season.

Joe Hart has been rewarded for his impressive form during his loan spell at Birmingham with a place in the squad alongside David James and Robert Green

There is no spot for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora with Darren Bent being named among the strikers along with Wayne Rooney, Emile Heskey, Crouch and Defoe

England's 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green, Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Thats that for Zamora then, shocking to bring Heskey if you ask me.

michaelread

well, either he plays amazing as a big "fcuk you" or he lets it get to him and has a shocker on the only stage where he can prove Capello wrong.

I hope the first.

TonyGilroy

He needs treatment for his achilles. He's not fit for the World Cup, sadly.

VB

He may well need surgery on that ankle,
and Big Bad Bob always play better with a chip on his shoulders,
GO GET THEM BOB. THEY DONT LIKE IT UP UM!!!!!!
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

jarv

I am shocked at some of the inclusions. Some really poor players. It looks just like one of McLaren's squads. So, Capello gets a wheel barrow load of money to watch football and ends up sticking with the same old failures. Apart from Johnson, where is the young and exciting prospects? What happened to his statement.....my players have to be playing regularly.  There is a whole bunch of bench warmers in the squad.  Carragher, I am a big fan of his, but is waaaaay past his best and King is crocked. What is that all about? Does it mean there are no good young centre backs in England.?

BZ not to get a look in, disgraceful. Even Konsch on current form is much better than the other reserve left backs.

World beaters, no chance, more like egg beaters.

TonyGilroy

I just think it demonstrates the lack of quality English players.

Rooney apart there are NO top quality young players who are clearly of world class status so bringing back older, better players together with a few who are good enough IF fit makes sense.

We can all get angry about Zamora but he's not fit. I'd be very surprised if Capello hasn't spoken to Hodgson and omitted him as a result.

I think Konchesky's unlucky to be omitted. He's no worse than Baines or Warnock but is he honestly clearly any better and Ashley Cole will play in any event if fit.

jarv

Good points Tony. I had a knee jerk reaction to some of the names. Some who would probably not even make it to the starting 11 of Wales or Scotland. You are right, it demonstrates the lack of quality in depth. Even the goalkeepers, all decent but all prone to some serious errors. The days of Shilton and co. are long gone.

mccscratch

I feel for Bob and his injury... he would have been included if it had not come up over the past month again.

As a US supporter... that squad does not scare me the way others might... Rooney is not 100% and other than him...only SG and Lampard can really take a game over IMHO....

This is going to be a very interesting Cup..
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Whiteroom

I'm disappointed that Zamora has not got a place, but you can understand why. The world cup would be significantly more interesting for me, and most other Fulham fans, if there was a Fulham player in there.

LordNelson

From a purely selfish FULHAM perspective, this is great news.  Bobby will be on fire tomorrow with a massive point to prove.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Jimpav

Let's be honest BZ was never going to be a serious candidate.

Even Bent had large question marks above his head and he has scored over 20 goals this season.

I'm disappointed that Shorey and Konch were not even mentioned, let alone selected but the plus side is that we should have some rested players for another busy season.

This is a terrible England squad compared to previous sides and I fully expect our placing in the world cup to reflect this.

Jimpav

Quote from: Whiteroom on May 11, 2010, 02:40:07 PM
I'm disappointed that Zamora has not got a place, but you can understand why. The world cup would be significantly more interesting for me, and most other Fulham fans, if there was a Fulham player in there.

Don't worry Whiteroom, we can always back the other players. I would love to see Dempsey get the golden boot or Pantsil take Ghana to the later stages. I think the Aussies could be a dark horse also.

VB

All my energies are for wednesday night, I think I'm on the verge of a nervous break down,
any mention of Fulham in the media,tv and radio gets me all misty eyed.
but after that all my club alliegencies will be forgotten.
for one month only, i'll be cheering on Lamps, Rooney and all.

lets make it a year to remember with us and them
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Jimpav on May 11, 2010, 02:43:33 PM
Let's be honest BZ was never going to be a serious candidate.

Even Bent had large question marks above his head and he has scored over 20 goals this season.

I'm glad Bent got a place, he's a quality striker. The reason I'm annoyed Bobby isn't name is because Heskey has! He's scored a measly 3 league goals this season, 5 in total. That's only one more goal than the season we thought Bobby was crap. BZ has scored 17 goals this year! Sure, many of those have been in Europe, but just think of the defences/keepers he's had to beat to get those...

FFCBadger

Some shocking selections.

Firstly, Heskey shouldn't be in the squad, and I have my doubts as to whether Heskey's up to PL standards yet alone a World Cup. I accept that Zamora's injury may have influenced Capello's decision in regards to picking him or not, but still, I rate the likes of Carlton Cole and Agbonlahor ahead of Heskey.

Secondly, there's no way Carragher should be in the squad ahead of Lescott - who was part of the team/squad right throughout the WC qualifiers. Players who turn there backs on there country should not be given a second chance, particularly on the eve of a World Cup.

cebu

I can't see that Bobby is more injured than Heskey is (and will be). Bent has failed in the past and Cole is the largest known headless chicken on the planet, but plays for "a certain team".

It's probably good news for Fulham, as BZ will be back from surgery come August. No Fulham player in the team means England have no chance.

epsomraver

My mate who is in the know has told me that Bobby's injury is the reason why he is not going, Fulham intend him to have surgery on his heel after the season closes

WhiteJC

Capello said that it was Bobby's decision not to be included as he is going to have treatment on his achilles after the game tomorrow.

Rupert

With respect to those in the know or with contacts in the know, I can not get over the notion that Bobby's injury is a good excuse for Capello to leave him out. Despite pulling up trees in Europe, sending some of the best defenders in the world home looking like amateurs, all you hear is "Zamora lacks international experience."
Well of course he does. Because he never gets picked.
The writing was on the wall for the last friendly, BZ was on top form and fully fit, other players were dropping out with niggles and the like, yet BZ was ignored. It is a terrible shame, as he deserved, and continues to deserve a place based on Capello's own criteria of being a regular starter and on form.

It is England's loss.

And, potentially, America and Dempsey's gain.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

HatterDon

I figured this would happen; he's been unfit for quite a while to play in the Prem. I'm just hoping for enough pitch time to make a difference tomorrow. The man basically gave up his chance to play for England by refusing to give in to his injury in European matches.  :sir_roy:

Rupert, in Cappello's defense, remember what happened in 2006 when SGE took two injured strikers to Germany and only one could play -- just a little. I would have made the same decision ... well, the leaving out Bobby one, not the adding Heskey one.

And as for America's gain

a. our best striker isn't in our squad of 30 since he hasn't played since his accident.
b. our best central defender IS in the squad, but hasn't played a first-team club match all season
c. we have a choice of Larry, Curly, and Mo at left back [Bornstein, Pearce, Beasley]

On the other hand, all three of our GKs are better than Green and James.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel