watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol's tenure - the high points

Started by Jimpav, December 01, 2013, 09:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

I rejoiced when I heard that Jol had been given the boot but in light of his gracious exit I thought I would start about some of his high points.

Beating QPR 6-0 will always be at the top of that short list. It was the hottest October day in my lifetime and our first competitive match against the Ha ha's in years. AJ got a well deserved hat trick and we got  rare bragging rights in a local derby.

Beating Newcastle 5-2 at the Cottage. Coming from behind to batter Newcastle and a hat trick for Dempsey.

Fulham v Arsenal 2-1. This was one of Zamoras last matches for us and he went out with a bang. He followed up a late goal from Sidwell with a 90th minute winner.

There were other wins along the way but these stand out the most. Funnily enough this was when we still had much of the class of 2008/09 intact.

Murphy
Dempsey
Zamora
Johnson
Baird

Not necessarily players that will make the history books outside of Fulham but certainly the best unit we have seen where the white shirt.

alexbishop

5-0 vs Norwich first day of last season was good fun! Doing the double over Liverpool too!
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

EJL

Interesting you should mention that Newcastle match. I think he made two outstanding tactical substitutions in Baird and Andy Johnson when something needed to be changed, but I really can't remember Jol making  any other decisions like that throughout the rest of his time at the club. I seem to recall we had the worst record of winning points after conceding first last season, which is odd as Mr Martin clearly knew how to change a game.

Enter the Frei

His first season with us we played some of the best football I have seen a Fulham side play, probably the best. What has happened after that and the first few games of the season after has been a completely different story, but the demolitions of QPR, Newcastle and that Wolves game especially were an absolute joy to watch. He won't be remembered for it after what's happened since, but that first season was when I believe our team truly peaked especially in terms of league form.

SKSW6

Moving Dembele into central midfield.

Basil

Arsenal away 3-3 was probably as good as we played under him.

RidgeRider

I crap on about this match every chance I can, but I thought our comeback against Arsenal at the Cottage in his first season was one of the best displays under Jol. Dembele, Dempsey, Zamora, and Ruiz were in attack in what I thought was the best interchange of the front four players that we saw during his time here.

Jack Fulham

I thought the first 10 games of last season were pretty good. I remember watching the Arsenal away game in the George Inn in Walton which was full of Fulham. We drew 3-3 and Schwarzer saved a penalty in the final few minutes. That game had everything. One of the best atmospheres I've been in and it was at pub!

The Bronsons

There were moments, yes. Converting Dembele. Getting the Pog in to a do a job when we needed a job done. i do believe Jol believed he was doing his best.

I bridle though at the "gracious exit" thing. The club statement including all the quotes was written by a PR drone at Motspur Park. Khan, Jol and Meulensteen might have had it read to them over a phone and said, "...okay..." - but that's it. I doubt FFC will feature in Jol's autobiography as "one of the great clubs in the Premier League or anywhere in the world".

Big Martin Jol

Spurs 0-1 Fulham back in March was probably the last high point for me, seeing Jol and Berbatov go back to their old club and take the three points.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

CanadianCottager

5-0 vs. Norwich was magnificent, Petric-Ruiz looked like a strike partnership that could tear the Prem to shreds, Dembele and Diarra were as brilliant a midfield as any, Kacaniklic and Duff chipped in with goals, all on a beautiful sunny day for my first ever visit to the Cottage. I really felt after that day that we would be able to push for Europe. Then came August 31, out went Dembele and the rest as they say is history...

Aaron

Not sure I'd call it a high point, but the borderline surreal inconsistency in Jol's first season is what I will always remember.  The start was shaky, then came the 6-0 against QPR after that you'd needed to have been mad to put a bet on a Fulham game, losing 5-0 to United then drawing away to Chelsea less than a week later.. The 5-2 against Newcastle came straight after a 3-1 loss to an abysmal Blackburn too..  Crazy times and a bit of a rollercoaster, but always fun to watch.

RaySmith

No longer solid at the back - inculcated by Roy, and making the Cottage a fortress, and hard to break down away....

that's what undid Jol's Fulham, for all the early tantalising  periods of flowing play and some great results - promising much but never fulfilling  the promise.

This led to the confusion, ineptitude and loss of confidence that we see today

Jol did want very much to succeed at Fulham, i think, but  i don't think he appreciated how  competitive and fast,  and the quality right through today's Prem, and, in trying, though not succeeding, to become an attacking side,  we lost our much vaunted defensive solidity, and became easy to beat.

Hopefully, RM will bring this back.

RaySmith

Of course, losing the two D's, and not replacing Murphy and other aging Roy era players, was very important too in our , and Jol's, demise

Rhys Lightning 63

How as nobody mentioned beating the Haha's 1-0 away so far?
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Burt

I agree with all the highlights, and indeed given all the turmoil there has been over the past few months we shouldn't lose sight of these.

However most of these were a very long time ago, which is why we have ended up where we are.

When was the last time we truly played our opponents off the park? Great football, majority possession, attempts on goal well in to double figures, and a win that left you feeling so good it set you up for the rest of the week?

A looooong time ago.

Let's hope it won't be too long before we can all start feeling positive once more about the club we love.

ffc73

Krakow away.  Not for the football but for a fantastic city break.  Wonderful city and fantastic food

Football wise I'd go with CanadianCottager.  That day in the sunshine we looked as though we had the makings of a really good side.  Diarra and Dembele behind Ruiz behind Petric with Duff and Kaca providing width.  Yes there were other good performances that autumn but the Arsenal, Southampton and Reading away games I found frustrating as those were games we should have won and not have been entertaining draws.  Norwich for me was the high point and it was down hill from there.