watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

2 Cents from Danny Murphy

Started by ToodlesMcToot, December 02, 2013, 01:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-murphy-fears-fulham-after-meulensteen-appointment-13120270283

Danny Murphy says Fulham have taken a huge gamble by putting Rene Meulensteen in charge.

The former Manchester United coach has been handed the managerial reins at Craven Cottage after Martin Jol was axed on Sunday.
Murphy was not surprised by Jol's departure, but admits he is unsure if Meulensteen is the right man to take control of his former club.
Speaking on the Colin Murray show, he said: "The way they are playing at the moment, they are looking in real trouble. I just hope he has the capability because it doesn't matter how good a coach you are, when you have to manage players it is a different ball game."There are plenty of candidates out there with more experience than him, so I'm not sure. He will have learnt a lot from Sir Alex Ferguson, how can you not? But you are talking about dealing with different players. "You're not talking about training with some of the best players in Europe day in, day out. You're talking about trying to motivate players that aren't playing so well. It's a different job."

Jol was shown the door after a run of five straight defeats, which has seen the Cottagers plummet to 18th in the Premier League.
And Murphy believes the Dutchman was let down by certain members of his squad."Last year you saw signs that it wasn't quite right, and losing games just becomes a habit," said Murphy.

"The squad has not got the right balance. There's talk obviously of [Dimitar] Berbatov and the lack of commitment and effort he has shown and I think that has transferred sometimes to the other players."I know from certain friends I have got there that they have become frustrated at the fact that certain players stay in the team no matter what."It's not just Dimitar, but there is maybe too many players in that side who don't put a shift in. You can only have one, maybe two."Last year it was Berbatov producing the goals that kept them up and the rest of the team worked for him, whereas this season I think there have been three of four who haven't contributed and pulled their weight."
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Forever Fulham

Well, we can now scratch Murph's name from the list of possible assistant managers or coaches to be offered a spot at FFC... Rene will fall on his sword before he lets him in the dugout now.

Logicalman

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 02, 2013, 01:33:34 PM
Well, we can now scratch Murph's name from the list of possible assistant managers or coaches to be offered a spot at FFC... Rene will fall on his sword before he lets him in the dugout now.

Perhaps not. Could be that Rene will recognize that Smurph has the ear of the players, and the club at heart, and will sway one hell of a lot of fans. He could do a lot worse than to ask Danny to come back to the club, and I think Danny would be a fool not take up any such offer.

Boggers

I haven't read this messageboard since the end of last season let alone posted but now that he's gone I am finally feeling a bit of optimism (although not much it has to be said).

Interesting comments from Murphy, for me the most telling part is:

"I know from certain friends I have got there that they have become frustrated at the fact that certain players stay in the team no matter what. "It's not just Dimitar, but there is maybe too many players in that side who don't put a shift in. You can only have one, maybe two."

Jol clearly lost the dressing room with his love-in for Berbatov and Ruiz. I just hope Rene can foster some semblance of team spirit in the next few weeks as otherwise I still think we're doomed.
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

ron

But does Murph really need the hassle?

It would be great if he did, because as Logicalman says he has the ear of the players and his link with the club is beyond doubt.

A lot of players need to be made very upset with some very plain speaking if they want to stay and help the cause out of the mess that all round negligence has created. Murph's example puts him in a good position for that role.

ToodlesMcToot

We've just promoted a career head coach (with a failed managerial stint) to manager in the most high profile league in the world. I don't believe that the way to instill confidence in him from his players is to bring in an assistant who has more clout with them than the manager does. Rene needs to be the unquestioned head of that house. Murph's presence alone would undermine that.

Maybe next season, if Rene sticks.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Slaphead in Qatar

Murphy talking alot of sense about rene appointment. And as regards problems in the team i am sure he is speaking the truth, if i was berbs teamate he would frustrate me too.

Lighthouse

Rene or the club have now appointed another coach and Kit has been given extra duties. So it looks as if Rene will be given the chance to show what he can do. Murphy is right but then it was a bigger gamble leaving things as they were.

Come January we really will know what the clubs plans are. Players are bound to leave and we will see what type of quality we can bring in. Rene is half the story but the club really need to back him this January.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Southcoastffc

Does Danny really have 'the ear of the players'?  Of the squad here when he left Fulham, only these remain -

Hughes,  Hangeland,  Riise,  Duff, Stockdale,  Senderos, Briggs,  Kasami
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

mikeyffc28

Its a good start though if he can have an impact on those then the positivity should spread to the rest of the team.

epsomraver

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 02, 2013, 05:09:32 PM
Does Danny really have 'the ear of the players'?  Of the squad here when he left Fulham, only these remain -

Well that's 16 ears, how many more do you want?

Berserker

The more ears the better I say, you can never have enough ears
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

'ere today and gone tomorrow   ....ask Boa

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Artful Dodger

I am firmly in the Pro Danny Murphy to come back and save us camp.  :Haynes The Maestro:
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Southcoastffc

Quote from: epsomraver on December 02, 2013, 05:39:50 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 02, 2013, 05:09:32 PM

Well that's 16 ears, how many more do you want?
Ear we go, ear we go,  ear we go.....
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ron

Quote from: Berserker on December 02, 2013, 07:25:19 PM
The more ears the better I say, you can never have enough ears

Well, the mess that Jol left 'ere  :022:, then having Murph right 'ere  :dft001: would do us a lot of good ...

the nutflush

Quote from: Artful Dodger on December 02, 2013, 09:21:06 PM
I am firmly in the Pro Danny Murphy to come back and save us camp.  :Haynes The Maestro:

Murph could set himself up for a big coaching/management career if he came back to help Rene and we stayed up.  Rene could do worse than sit down with him and at least pick his brain.  He could go one better and invite him to work alongside him.  One thing it would do is unite all us supporters behind them and the team.