more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (03/12/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 04, 2013, 06:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Aaron Hughes: 'Fulham must stay positive'

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes has told his teammates to remain positive as they look to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

The Cottagers are currently three points from safety in the table following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at fellow strugglers West Ham United.

"We've just got to keep going and believing in ourselves," he told the club's official website. "When you're in the middle of a bad run the last thing you want to do is let your head drop, feel sorry for yourself and make excuses.

"We just have to all pull together and try and get through this busy period coming up when there are a lot of games and you can pick up a lot of points quickly.

"We have to try and be positive and take the things we're doing on the training pitch into games."

Fulham return to Premier League action on Wednesday when they play host to Tottenham Hotspur.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/relegation-battle/news/hughes-fulham-must-stay-positive_121710.html

WhiteJC

Alex Suffer Keeper Blow

Crewe could be without loan goalkeeper for a number of weeks

Crewe Alexandra are hoping that a thigh injury to on-loan goalkeeper Neil Etheridge is not too serious. The young Fulham goalkeeper aggravated the muscle when completing a final clearance up the pitch in Saturday's 1-0 win over Crawley Town and he had to undergo a precautionary scan yesterday.

Manager Steve Davis told the club's official web-site: "Neil has had a scan after suffering a strain in his quad muscle. He sustained it by making the final kick of the game.

"We are waiting for the scan results but if he has suffered that type of injury it could be 3-5 weeks maximum. We will know more today.

"We will have to see but if he is ruled and his loan deal had to come to a premature end then that would be a blow for us, because he was playing well and improving with every appearance.

"Neil was making some great saves and had a real presence in the goal for us. He is a terrific lad and it would be a big loss."

Read more at http://www.crewealex.net/news/article/alex-suffer-keeper-blow-1212407.aspx?#3rMYRwx0p96jcYVR.99

WhiteJC

Dembélé's Debut

On an otherwise disappointing afternoon at Upton Park last Saturday, the appearance of teenage striker Moussa Dembélé was an undoubted highlight.

The 17-year-old stepped off the bench as an 83rd-minute replacement for Kieran Richardson, but with Fulham trailing 2-0 to West Ham United it wasn't quite the debut the young Frenchman had hoped for.

With the Hammers claiming a third late on, and Dembélé picking up an injury, he was naturally quick to draw on the positives of the moment.

"It was a frustrating result, and because of the knock I couldn't get involved as frequently as I would have liked," said Moussa to fulhamfc.com. "We have to move on from the defeat and hopefully put things right with a good performance against Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa this week.

"On a personal level, though, it was a special occasion for me - making my professional debut is something I'd dreamed about for a long time. When you start out as a kid and you start playing for clubs, that's the target.

"I'd been involved with the senior players over the last few weeks and was named on the bench for the game against Swansea City the previous week. I got the impression that I might play some part at West Ham, and that proved to be the case.

"The feeling when I stepped across the line and on to the pitch was incredible. It was a magical experience and one that I'll never forget. I really appreciate the opportunity that I was given and hopefully I will be involved again at some point. It would be great to run out in front of the fans at Craven Cottage."

The Parisian has continually turned heads this term, scoring for fun when running out for the Club's Under-18 and Under-21 squads. Last season, his first with the Whites following his move from Paris Saint-Germain, ended with the striker scoring all three goals in the 3-0 Under-18 Premier League National Final defeat of Reading.

"I haven't been at the Club for very long, so things have progressed very quickly," added Moussa. "I didn't think I would be making my First Team debut at this point, but I've been working really hard and scoring goals.

"My coaches in the Academy have always pushed me to work hard, to develop my potential. You have to listen and do the right things. I've learned so much from the likes of Steve Wigley, Kit Symons and the others, and I know that there's still a lot more for me to learn.

"Working with the senior players has helped, too. I think the experience has been good for me. I'm not taking anything for granted, though, I just want to work on becoming the best player that I can be. There's still a long way to go yet."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/03/dembeles-debut?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Tottenham (20:00 GMT)

I feel sorry for Martin Jol, who was sacked as Fulham boss on Sunday. Yes, he is responsible for results, performances and picking the team but there was not enough fight from some of his players in what turned out to be his final game, against West Ham on Saturday.

Jol's other problem was that once the Cottagers appointed Rene Meulensteen as head coach last month, they were basically hanging Jol out to dry because of the message that sent to the players.

This is a big job for Meulensteen because he is unproven as a manager. All the Manchester United players who played under him when he coached there say what a good coach he is, and we are about to find out.

The good news for Meulensteen is that I do not believe for a minute that Fulham are one of the three worst teams in the division.

They might have been in the last month when they have lost five league games on the trot but I think the players they have got are better than that, and he will be given money to spend in the January transfer window too.

His first job will be to make them difficult to beat again, but I think Meulensteen's biggest challenge is getting the dressing room sorted - he needs to get everyone pulling in the same direction and giving it their all.

If he gets that, and freshens his side up with a few new faces, I think Fulham will be OK.

I would expect to see an improvement from Fulham in Meulensteen's first game in charge but I think Tottenham are still a bit sore after losing 6-0 to Manchester City last week and they will be desperate to end their four-game run without a league win.

Lawro's prediction: 1-2
Gaz's prediction: 1-3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25157313

WhiteJC

Fulham want Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe and former fan favourite Clint Dempsey to boost relegation fight

Fulham have identified Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe and former Cottagers favourite Clint Dempsey as the men to score the goals which will lift them out of Premier League danger.

New boss Rene Meulensteen has been told he can bring fresh blood into the club in an effort to stave off relegation.

Defoe has been linked with a £6million January transfer to Toronto but even if the move does go through he will still be available on loan until the new MLS season starts in March.

BLOG: The subtle change AVB made against Manchester United

MORE: Tottenham dressing room fully behind AVB

He is not starting matches at White Hart Lane as Roberto Soldado is preferred in attack and wants as many first team minutes as possible to persuade Roy Hodgson to take him to Brazil as part of the England squad next summer.

Dempsey left Spurs for MLS side Seattle Sounders in the summer and is free to return to England on a loan move during their close season.

He was a Fulham player before joining Spurs but controversially fell out with management when it appeared he was on the brink of a move to Liverpool in August last year.

The United States international was forced to train with the youth team and ended up crossing London to join Tottenham on transfer deadline day instead of completing a switch to Anfield.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/03/fulham-want-tottenham-striker-jermain-defoe-and-former-fan-favourite-clint-dempsey-to-boost-relegation-fight-4211544/?

WhiteJC

Premier League team news: Fulham v Spurs

Fulham's Moussa Dembele faces a late fitness test. Photo: PA

Fulham right-back Sascha Riether will return from a three-match suspension, while Emmanuel Adebayor is unlikely to feature when Spurs meet Fulham.

Forward Moussa Dembele will be assessed after picking up a minor hamstring problem, which means he could come up against former Fulham midfielder Mousa Dembele.

Defender Brede Hangeland could be back after a sciatic nerve problem, while striker Dimitar Berbatov is also expected to be fit following illness. Striker Hugo Rodallega (groin) and defender Matthew Briggs continue their rehabilitation.

Emmanuel Adebayor is still struggling with a groin problem and is therefore a major doubt for Wednesday's game.

Midfielder Christian Eriksen (ankle), defender Danny Rose (toe) and striker Harry Kane (back) are all out.

Manager Andre Villas-Boas has to decide whether to keep faith with floundering forward Roberto Soldado, or recall Jermain Defoe.

Fulham squad: Stekelenburg, Richardson, Hughes, Amorebieta, Zverotic, Sidwell, Duff, Parker, Kasami, Bent, Taarabt, Stockdale, Boateng, Senderos, Kacaniklic, Hangeland, Berbatov, Karagouni, Ruiz, Dembele.

Spurs squad: Lloris, Friedel, Gomes, Archer, Walker, Naughton, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Dawson, Kaboul, Fryers, Sandro, Capoue, Dembele, Paulinho, Lamela, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli, Sigurdsson, Holtby, Adebayor, Defoe, Soldado.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-12-03/premier-league-team-news-fulham-v-spurs/?

WhiteJC

The Conundrum that is Berbatov!

Now, this morning upon opening my e-mail inbox, there was an e-mail promoting a possible poll suggestion.

Submitted by TrainerJohn the subject matter related to Dimitar Berbatov and my general view is that the poll suggestion would be better served by using it as a prompt to hopefully start a debate.

TrainerJohn wanted to know whether the Bulgarian striker was, with his unusual style, helping or hurting us.

The e-mail came with six possible options, which are listed below:-

1 - Helps: who else is going to score!

2 - Helps: we just need to get him the ball!

3 - Helps: but he needs to shut up and play!

4 - Hurts: his presence makes us one dimensional...and that dimension isn't working!

5 - Hurts: his negative response on the field is driving apart the team!

6 - Hurts: he a player of a class that we can't support. Trying to do so is costing us an identity!

Now, on the back of an excellent debatable subject, which of the six options do you best think describes Dimitar Berbatov?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=340732#ixzz2mU5flstd

WhiteJC

Riether returns and Dembele to be assessed for Spurs clash

Fulham right-back Sascha Riether will return from a three-match suspension for new manager Rene Meulensteen's first game in charge against Tottenham.

Forward Moussa Dembele will be assessed after picking up a minor hamstring problem in the 3-0 defeat at West Ham, which proved to be the final match of Martin Jol's tenure.

Defender Brede Hangeland could be back after a sciatic nerve problem, while striker Dimitar Berbatov is also expected to be fit following illness. Striker Hugo Rodallega (groin) and defender Matthew Briggs continue their rehabilitation.

Provisional squad: Stekelenburg, Richardson, Hughes, Amorebieta, Zverotic, Sidwell, Duff, Parker, Kasami, Bent, Taarabt, Stockdale, Boateng, Senderos, Kacaniklic, Hangeland, Berbatov, Karagouni, Ruiz, Dembele.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/riether_returns_and_dembele_to_be_assessed_for_spurs_clash_1_3067991

WhiteJC

A fast start and January buys can see Rene Meulensteen keep Fulham up
The Cottagers' new manager might also tinker with his formation to aid their cause.

Once brought in to coach Fulham's first team alongside Martin Jol, it always seemed a mere matter of time before Rene Meulensteen took over the top job from his gruff compatriot.

His first game in charge comes against Tottenham Hotspur, a tricky tie Fulham are a lengthy 4/1 to win despite being at home.

Looking longer-term, Meulensteen is tasked with keeping his side in the Premier League and it is worth backing him to do just that at 17/20.

Punters joining bwin today can claim a free £20 bet and placing this on Fulham to avoid relegation would return a cool £17 profit if successful.

Meulensteen won four of his first six games when he took over at Danish side Brondby in 2006.

Past managerial experience is thin on the ground for the 49-year-old, who is primarily known as a number two, but Brondby flew out of the traps under his tutelage.

With games against Spurs, Manchester City and Everton coming up, Meulensteen will need a similarly impressive beginning to his tenure if he is to lead Fulham out of the relegation zone in the coming weeks.

The former Manchester United assistant has favoured a 4-2-3-1 formation in his previous jobs, which could suggest a new role for Dimitar Berbatov.

The Dutch coach opted to use a 4-2-3-1 system during his brief managerial stints at Brondby and Anzhi Makhachkala and it was also the primary formation used by United last season when he was understudy to Sir Alex Ferguson.

Should he implement this at Fulham Berbatov will either play as a lone striker with Darren Bent dropping out, or the Bulgarian could be pushed deeper into a more creative role.

Fulham's new head honcho has already indicated he will bring in new recruits in January and could use his links with the Red Devils.

In a somewhat derisory snub to his current charges, Meulensteen has already said the Cottagers will need reinforcements in January.

Given his past, links with United players are inevitable and those like Anderson and Wilfried Zaha, currently out of favour at Old Trafford, could prove fine additions to his squad.

Fulham to avoid relegation @ 17/20

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/fast-start-january-buys-rene-meulensteen-fulham,48828.html?#sthash.6dfLC6gS.dpuf

WhiteJC

Meulensteen rallies team

New Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen has challenged his team to stand up and take responsibility for their own form - starting against Aston Villa on Wednesday night.

Fellow Dutchman Martin Jol was dismissed by billionaire owner Shahid Khan following what was a sixth consecutive defeat as the 3-0 capitulation at West Ham left the Cottagers 18th in the Barclays Premier League.

Meulensteen, 49, only arrived at the west London club last month to work under Jol, whom he had known for many years, but in that short space of time has been able to pinpoint just where the team's deficiencies lie as he plots a move up the table.

"We need to make sure the players take responsibility, with work-rate and their discipline," Meulensteen said to BBC Radio Five Live.

"Fulham have had too many poor results and we must now create a platform to get away from our position."

Meulensteen had two spells on Sir Alex Ferguson's backroom staff at Manchester United but his experiences as head coach are limited, with just 17 days in charge at Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala while previous management roles came at Brondby and in Qatar with Al-Gharafa and Al-Sadd.

The new Cottagers boss has moved quickly to bring in his own men behind the scenes in a reshuffle following Jol's two and a half years at the club.

Former Manchester United academy coach Jonathan Hill has come in while Kit Symons, the current development team manager, will also be assisting with first-team training.

Meanwhile, Fulham confirmed Jol's brother Cornelis, who worked as football operations manager, plus coaches Michael Lindeman and Billy McKinlay have also left Craven Cottage.

Meulensteen, who is understood to have a contract until the end of the current Premier League campaign, will also be looking to bring in some fresh faces when the transfer window opens again in January, with Khan likely to release funds to boost their battle to retain their top-flight status.

Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe, who is targeting regular first-team football ahead of the World Cup, and former Cottagers favourite Clint Dempsey, who left White Hart Lane for the Major Soccer League in August, are both said to be possible targets to help boost an attack which has managed just 11 league goals so far.

Right-back Sascha Riether will return from a three-match suspension for Wednesday's clash with Spurs after he was handed a retrospective ban for stamping on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj, which was not seen by the match officials at the time but caught on video.

Defender Brede Hangeland could be available again after a sciatic nerve problem, while striker Dimitar Berbatov is also expected to be fit following illness.

Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes feels the players must stay positive for the challenges ahead.

"We have just got to keep going and believing in ourselves. When you are in the middle of a bad run the last thing you want to do is let your head drop, feel sorry for yourself and make excuses," he said.

"We just have to all pull together and try and get through this busy period coming up when there are a lot of games and you can pick up a lot of points quickly.

"We have to try and be positive and take the things we are doing on the training pitch into games."

Fulham now have two successive home matches, with Aston Villa the visitors on Sunday, which Hughes feels can help the Cottagers turn the corner.

"If we can take six points from the next two games the table would look completely different, so that is what we are aiming for," the centre-back added.

"We will look at the West Ham game and figure out where we went wrong, and then prepare for Spurs and Villa."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/9055425/-?

WhiteJC

Statsbomb bits

Always interesting. This basically sums us up:

Normally I am fairly conservative about suggesting managers should be sacked. After all, if you are going to bother firing one, they should probably be really bad andyou need to be able to replace them with someone better.

On the other hand, I have publicly battered The Guardian's writers on Twitter for writing that Fulham were too good to go down.

Martin Jol should have been fired months ago.

As of October 1st, Fulham were giving up 20 shots per game while only taking 8 themselves. This is very, verybad. Through this weekend's dire performance, where they lost to one of the worst offensive teams in the league by a 4-0 score line Fulham are...

Giving up 20 shots a game, while only taking 8.

Go figure.

Even Pescara, who most models considered to be the worst team in the big European leagues by far last season took 10 shots while giving up about 18 a game. Fulham were worse than that.

(Yes, I know our predictive model liked them more than I do, and I know why, and all I can say is that it was horribly wrong here. Welcome to modelling.)

The important question is: Can they be saved?

I honestly don't know. I think Riether and Hangeland are pretty good in their back line, and I think Berbatov and Ruiz are very good up front. Everyone else on that team is either a question mark, actively bad, or truly horrific. The midfield simply doesn't work with how Jol wanted to play, and the axis of Sidwell and Parker seems to do absolutely nothing to help either end of the pitch. Meulensteen has his work cut out for him, but the next few months should teach us a lot about whether a bad team with pockets of talent can be saved by a new manager.

Fulham need to be really careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/statsbomb-bits/?

WhiteJC

Fans' Party

There's only one week to go until our Fans' Party at Christmas at the Cottage! Have you got your tickets yet?

With the Player Signing Session limited to Junior Members and Season Ticket Holders, fans are invited to attend our Christmas Party, from 6-10.30pm on Tuesday 10th December.

Fulham fans attending our Christmas Party will enjoy:

Priority access to the Player Signing Session in the Cottage dressing rooms, where you'll get to meet Fernando Amorebieta, Darren Bent, Pajtim Kasami, Scott Parker, Bryan Ruiz*
Exclusive invitation to our riverside McBride's bar and welcome cocktails
A Q&A session with First Team players Steve Sidwell and David Stockdale, hosted by Fulham legend Kit Symons
A selection of sumptuous Christmas dishes
DJ and dancing until 10.30pm
Don't miss out on your chance to celebrate with fellow supporters and friends at the Christmas Party at the Cottage, priced at just £35 for adults and £30 for under-18s (inc VAT).

To book your place today buy online, call 020 8336 7555 or email [email protected]

*Entry to the Player Signing Session for Christmas Party guests will be between 6-6.30pm.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/03/fans-party?

WhiteJC

Weakpoint: Spurs' Blistering Wingers Could Punish This Failing Fulham Defender

Fulham have been dreadful this season. They have lost 9 of their opening 13 matches and have changed managers already. The attacking quartet of Bryan Ruiz, Dimitar Berbatov, Darren Bent and Adel Taarabt is tired, lethargic and costly. There is no urgency in the attacking third and it shows on a weekly basis. They've scored just 12 times. Strangely, attack isn't the biggest issue at Fulham – their defence is even worse.

Kieran Richardson was once seen as a potential England star when he scored twice on his international debut against America. His career soon took a nose dive and he now finds himself struggling at Fulham.

Richardson has played 12 times for Fulham so far this season and is yet to score. He still hasn't hit the target with a shot; he's hit all three off target.

Of course, his job as left-back is not to score goals but his shooting could be much better than it is. To judge him defensively would be fair, but that still does him no favours. He has won just 50% of his duels, which is distinctly average.

From those duels, he's won 57% of his tackles (21/37) and 52% of his headed duels (15/29). Richardson is known to take players on and attack down the left-hand side but he's failed to beat his man on five out of eight attempts so far this season, giving him a success rate of just 38%.

The former Manchester United player has also been quite clumsy, committing six fouls and winning just one.

Fulham's defending has been shambolic so far this season so it comes as no surprise to see Richardson struggling. He's never shown much promise since his breakthrough at United but he's really struggling now.

In his most recent match against West Ham, Stewart Downing gave Richardson a nightmare down the wing. His Heat Map showed just how far back he pushed throughout the match.

His passing was off, too, completing just 69% of his passes (20/29). Richardson also put his side under a lot of pressure, misplacing most of his passes inside his own half.

Fulham face a lacklustre Tottenham this week where Richardson will likely be targeted by Andre Villas-Boas. The Portuguese will use either Andros Townsend or Aaron Lennon to attack the full-back and exploit him. Their pace will definitely cause Richardson problems.

Exploiting Richardson could be key to Spurs gaining victory against their London rivals.

http://www.squawka.com/news/2013/12/03/kieran-richardson-analysis/2013120340593?

WhiteJC

The Manchester United player that could save Fulham's season

New manager Rene Meulensteen should make a bid for a player he coached during his time at Manchester United as he bids to turn Fulham's season around.

When it comes to the transfer window there is often a case of Deja-vu with managers and coaches raiding their former clubs to bring in talent and this January I have a feeling that we could see that trend continue, news which may please Fulham fans.

New boss Rene Muelensteen appears to be in the prime position to head to Manchester United in a bid to find players that could turn Fulham's fortune around having served as the head coach under Sir Alex Ferguson before replacing Martin Jol at Fulham earlier in the week.

In my opinion there is one player currently on the books at Old Trafford who is surplus to requirements and who would fit in at Craven Cottage, and add some bite to a lacklustre midfield, Anderson.

Anderson has found opportunities hard to come by this season with new Red Devils manager David Moyes only giving him two chances so far in the Premier League, instead preferring Tom Cleverly and new arrival Marouane Fellaini who he signed from his former club Everton.

This is a stark contrast in fortunes for the Brazilian international that appeared 172 times for Ferguson a stat which equates to selection in 55% of possible matches since his 2007 switch from Porto.

Fulham who currently sit in 18th place in the league and with only 7 points from their last 10 games need a player of a certain type if they are to escape possible relegation, they need a dynamic, box-to-box midfielder who can win and retain possession and who has the vision to create chances and sniff out danger, they also need a winner and for me Anderson fits the bill. He offers all of the aforementioned skills and his trophy cabinet which includes three Premier League titles, a Champions League victory as well as League Cup and success on the continent suggests this also.

When Anderson joined United he did so in a deal worth around £20m, of course he wouldn't command such a fee now but if he could guarantee Fulham's safety then a bid around half of what United paid might be very worthwhile, another option of course would be to attempt a season-long loan with the view to buy a deal that could suit both parties.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/12/03/sr-the-manchester-united-player-that-could-save-fulhams-season/?

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen keen not to be all talk at Craven Cottage after Manchester United indiscretions
Dutchman shone as coach but infuriated with his indiscretion at Manchester United

There is a sense of irony in Rene Meulensteen foregoing the traditional pre-match press conference ahead of his first game in charge of Fulham against Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday night.

Meulensteen, according to those who worked with him at Manchester United, certainly knew how to "talk the talk" and there were times when his readiness to discuss the club's transfer targets in his native Holland irked Sir Alex Ferguson and his assistant, Mike Phelan, to the extent that their exasperation was relayed to the loose-lipped first-team coach.

Yet three days into his new job as Fulham manager, having succeeded the sacked Martin Jol on Sunday, Meulensteen appears to be working on the basis that actions speak louder than words as he sets about ensuring that Craven Cottage continues to stage Premier League football next season.

Fulham, three points adrift of safety, need results rather than soundbites, but in a perfect world, he will want to deliver both.

The 49-year-old, like Brian Kidd, Carlos Queiroz and Steve McClaren before him, is putting his reputation on the line by choosing to step up from the United training pitch to the top job elsewhere.

Ferguson infamously questioned Kidd's credentials to go it alone following his departure for the Blackburn Rovers manager's job in 1998 – they were relegated at the end of Kidd's first season in charge – while both McClaren and Queiroz enjoyed success and failure in equal measure after taking the leap into management.

But for Ferguson's decision to retire as United manager, Meulensteen is unlikely to have left Old Trafford in the summer, despite his efforts to improve his contract and salary earlier this year, prior to the Scot's exit.

David Moyes offered Meulensteen the role of assistant manager – a promotion from his previous position – but with the Dutchman aware of Moyes's hands-on approach on the training field, he rejected the offer due to concerns that his coaching duties would be reduced under the new regime.

Ferguson would delegate coaching responsibilities to the point that he would often not appear on the training pitch until Thursday, leaving Meulensteen and Phelan to co-ordinate preparations ahead of the forthcoming fixture.

Although Phelan was the senior man in the relationship, Ferguson's No 2 and a man trusted by the manager to deal with issues on and off the pitch, Meulensteen's coaching was highly regarded by the United players.

Meulensteen, a disciple of the famed Dutch skills coach Wiel Coerver, would encourage self-expression and adventure and the blueprint he imposed as United's technical skills development officer in 2007 remains in place today, with the club's youngsters urged to experiment with flair and trickery when many young players elsewhere are taught to take fewer risks with the ball.

Robin van Persie claimed last season that Meulensteen's coaching and attention to detail were key factors in United's success during the 2012-13 campaign.

"The way he trains is exceptional," said Van Persie. "He is truly one of the best coaches in the world. I have had a lot of good trainers, but it's the way he prepares our team for games. Every match is different, so every training session in the build-up to games is unique.

"We know exactly what to expect and he wins points for us through his training. We've won a lot of games by the odd goal and they are point winners, which we train."

With Van Persie's high praise coinciding with Meulensteen's failure to secure better terms from United last season, some within Old Trafford suspected a well-orchestrated PR offensive by the Dutchmen, who became close following Van Persie's arrival from Arsenal in August 2012.

True or not, it did not have the desired effect and Meulensteen's sense of being undervalued by United continued until his departure was confirmed in the wake of Moyes's appointment.

With Fulham, however, Meulensteen has the opportunity to prove his worth beyond United and justify the self-confidence that led him to claim much of the credit for Cristiano Ronaldo's development at Old Trafford.

Whether he can live up to the hype with a squad of players less talented than those he worked with at United, only time will tell.

But as Kidd, Queiroz and McClaren all discovered after emerging from Ferguson's shadow, there is no co

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10492965/Fulham-manager-Rene-Meulensteen-keen-not-to-be-all-talk-at-Craven-Cottage-after-Manchester-United-indiscretions.html

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham defender John Arne Riise hopes for second chance

Fulham defender John Arne Riise hopes that Martin Jol's departure from Craven Cottage could give him another chance with the Premier League club.

The Norway international fell out of favour under Jol this season, with the Dutchman admitting last week he would be ready to let Riise leave in the January transfer window.

But with Fulham parting company with Jol on Sunday following their defeat at West Ham, Riise hopes the elevation of Rene Meulensteen to take charge of the first-team could work in his favour.

He told TV2: "It will be an exciting week.

"We have struggled defensively in the last few matches, now I will give everything in training as usual and hope to get more confidence.

"I feel that I am in good shape and I am ready in case the new manager wants me to play."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9056066/?

WhiteJC

Manchester United should give up on Ashley Young
Ashley Young must leave to stand any chance of reviving his career

As a football fan do you remember three years ago, Aston Villa were a fantastic team if memory serves right? And who did they have to thank for that? Well it was Ashley Young of course.

Young was a superstar in his footballing prime so it seems. Although he has never been known for smacking in the goals, he has always proved handy for his ability to beat his defender as well as grabbing his fair share of assists as well. He was a revelation.

When Sir Alex Ferguson signed him from Aston Villa over two years ago a lot was expected. The move excited many, and the title winning faithful of United had a new dimension in their play

But nothing particular has emerged from the England international and now it may be time to transfer list the unwanted player.

Young started off his career at United fantastically, but it was the fact that it wasn't going to carry on which was the worry.

In his first season at United his label of 'revelation' continued, with the England international scoring eight goals in all competitions whilst assisting a total of 11 times just in the league.

But the downward spiral started here, and it was just in his second season at the club. He failed to score throughout the whole campaign although did manage five assists. This was not enough for a winger and his form was considered unacceptable.

His form then proceeded to fall off a cliff however towards the end of last season, and during this season so far he has yet to play a full game for United, it is time for him to go as let's face it, he won't get a lot at United anymore.

He's just a spare cog in United's works and with the emergence of Wilfried Zaha and Adnan Januzaj, who needs him?

Well Fulham could do with him! They currently sit three points from safety with the Cottagers losing six games consecutively.

They sacked Martin Jol and put René Meulensteen in charge who has already said that they need reinforcements.

Ashley Young would be brilliant for Fulham, with him again being able to star under René Meulensteen whilst playing with ex team-mate Dimitar Berbatov.

Fulham need a box-to-box midfielder (as well as their current players to actually start performing), yet it could easily turn around for Fulham especially if they had Young in their line-up.

With the January transfer window just weeks a way, it may be time for United to at last get rid of Young. And the deal may even resurrect his career, with a chance to fire the Cottagers to safety his ultimate challenge?

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

http://www.givemesport.com/407558-manchester-united-should-give-up-on-ashley-young?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov seeks transfer in January as relegation battle looms

Striker new boss Rene Meulensteen had boasted about helping rediscover his goal-scoring touch is eyeing Craven Cottage exit

Dimitar Berbatov wants out of Fulham.

The Bulgarian striker, 32, has six months left on his contract, but Mirror Sport understands he is keen to move on from the Premier League strugglers in January.

It is a huge blow for newly-appointed boss Rene Meulensteen, who is set for his first game in charge of the third-from-bottom west Londoners on Wednesday at home to Tottenham.

The Cottagers are among the lowest scorers in the top flight and their humiliating defeat at West Ham on Saturday cost Martin Jol his job less than 24 hours later.

Ex-Manchester United coach Meulensteen - who worked with Berbatov at Old Trafford - insisted last month that he was the man to improve the frontman's poor form in order to shoot Fulham out of trouble.

Last season, Berbatov - who moved to London from United for £5million in August 2012 - ended up with 15 goals in all competitions.

He has netted just once in the league so far in the current campaign, against Crystal Palace on October 21. His only other goal came in a Capital One Cup tie against Everton in September.

Many have questioned Berbatov's desire, with some seeing his lack of work-rate as a contributing factor in the club's goal-scoring problems.

Turkish club Trabzonspor are already on record as being among the clubs keen on signing the former Spurs star.

Club president Ibrahim Haciosmanoglu said last week: "Berbatov has been on our agenda. We want better and better quality and are endeavouring to add that to our squad."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulhams-dimitar-berbatov-seeks-transfer-2879875#ixzz2mWThGguW
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Meulensteen has eye on youth setup as new boss watches Under 21s beat Everton ahead of managerial bow

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen prepared for to take charge of his first Premier League match, against Tottenham on Wednesday night, by watching the club's Under 21 side beat Everton 2-1 on Monday.

The new Fulham boss has already stressed the need for the club to invest in January to safeguard their top-flight status and will be backed in the transfer market but, for now at least, his task is to inspire youthful enthusiasm in an experienced, under-performing squad.

Meulensteen said: 'We need to make sure the players take responsibility, with work-rate and their discipline. Fulham have had too many poor results and we must now create a platform to get away from our position.'

Watching brief: Rene Meulensteen watches the Under 21s with goalkeeping coach Hans Segers on Monday

Axed: Martin Jol was handed his marching orders on Sunday 24 hours after Fulham's defeat at West Ham

A recurring gripe with Meulensteen's predecessor, Martin Jol, who was sacked following Saturday's 3-0 defeat by West Ham, was the Dutchman showed too little interest in Fulham's highly successful youth set up.

He left Meulensteen with the oldest squad in the Premier League, yet the club have won the Under 18 title for the last three years.

According to some, Jol showed more willingness to engage with the youth teams than either Mark Hughes or Roy Hodgson.

Since Meulensteen was appointed on November 13, however, highly rated French teenager Moussa Dembele, who has been watched by Liverpool and Manchester United scouts already this season, has been brought into the first-team squad. The 17-year-old came on to make his debut against West Ham and could face former Fulham favourite Mousa Dembele tonight, if the Spurs midfielder recovers from a slight groin injury.

In black and white: Moussa Dembele (left) could line up against former Fulham favourite Mousa Dembele

Kit Symons, Chris Coleman's No 2 with Wales and Fulham's development team manager, has also been promoted to work with the first team under Meulensteen, whose contract runs until the end of the season. Former Manchester United academy coach Jonathan Hill has also been drafted in.

Meulensteen may have arrived at Fulham with a clear brief to act as a No 2 to Jol, but he has already insisted Fulham 'must invest' in January and been promised funds will be made available for players such as former Fulham and Spurs midfielder Clint Dempsey.

The Dutchman's immediate task, however, is to stop a sequence of five straight league defeats that leaves Fulham 18th in the Premier League. No wonder he is hoping the kids will be all right.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2517724/Fulham-boss-Rene-Meulensteen-eye-youth-setup-new-boss-watches-Under-21s-beat-Everton.html#ixzz2mWTy57tj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov slammed for ''walking around like he is wearing an overcoat, smoking a cigar'' during matches

Cottagers legend Rodney Marsh suspects the Bulgarian and on-loan Adele Taarabt may not be the lads for a relegation scrap

Jacket in! Rodney Marsh is unimpressed by Berbatov's workrate
Ian Walton

Fulham's flashy stars lack the stomach for a relegation fight, according to Cottagers legend Rodney Marsh.

Martin Jol was sacked on Sunday after six consecutive defeats and head coach Rene Meulensteen takes charge of his first game on Wednesday.

But Marsh reckons the real blame lies with lacklustre performances from the likes of Dimitar Berbatov - who wants a January move - and Adel Taarabt.

And the former England star, 69, claimed the change in leadership will have little impact unless their attitude quickly changes.

"I am going to be watching over the next six weeks to see how the players react to this guy," said Marsh. "I don't think it has got anything to do with him. It is to do with the players.

"I look at the Fulham players and I see their shoulders drooped and I see Berbatov walking around like he is wearing an overcoat, smoking a cigar.

"On Saturday they started Taarabt. When you look at Fulham down the bottom of the league needing grafters, needing to put the foot in, needing to whack a few, are Taarabt and Berbatov going to be those types of players? The answer is no."

The Cottagers failed to register a shot on target in Saturday's 3-0 surrender at West Ham.

Meulensteen, who has recruited former Old Trafford academy coach Jonathan Hill, said: "We need to make sure the players take responsibility, with work-rate and their discipline.

"We must now create a platform to get away from our position. We aim to get Fulham back on track."

Aston Villa visit Craven Cottage on Saturday, and Aaron Hughes reckons the week offers a quick opportunity to turn around a desperate season.

"If we can take six points from the next two games, the table would look completely different," said the Northern Ireland defender. "That's what we're aiming for. We've just got to keep going and believing.

"When you're in the middle of a bad run the last thing you want to do is let your head drop, feel sorry for yourself and make excuses."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulhams-dimitar-berbatov-slammed-walking-2880722#ixzz2mWUicye5
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook