more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (03/12/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 04, 2013, 06:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

This Is My Preview And I'm Sticking To It: Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur

Fulham host Tottenham Hotspur tomorrow, but the match is just the beginning of a long and complicated question Rene Meulensteen will be required to answer

Look, I could get well into the minutiae of formations, personnel, and form. I could draw parallels between Andre Villas Boas's suddenly tenuous footing and the last days of Martin Jol. I could talk about Rene Meulensteen and what his appointment may mean for Fulham Football Club moving forward. I could even call all Fulham supporters to man the barricades, get behind the team, and hail the dawning of a new day. I could cry out how a Spurs are ripe for the picking and label tomorrow's match a possible catalyst through which the Cottagers could begin the digging themselves out of the relegation sized hole in which they currently find themselves. (Aside: I've caught flak from a segment of supporters for my usage of third person pronouns when referring to the players, the manager, and the owner. I do so not out of a lack of passion, but rather because it's not my sweat, footballing acumen, or money guiding the club from match to match. Think of it as my own humble attempt at respect for their endeavours rather than dismissive aloofness). But I'm not going to do any of that.

Fulham are and will remain a club in crisis until performances on the field suggest otherwise. Martin Jol has been given his marching orders, and although I'm sure he's a good guy through and through, it seemed well time for a change. That said, football is a player's game and while we can all critique the outgoing manager's decisions, the fact remains that Fulham are a club with considerable weaknesses amongst its playing personnel. The club leaks goals and scores few; has a notable lack of pace; isn't especially creative in central midfield, and seems adrift with respect to on-field leadership.

All of the clubs currently occupying the same strata of the Premier League table as the Cottagers have shown signs of life, fight, and organization that have alluded Meulensteen's charges thus far, and until a series of matches proves otherwise, it seems like a fool's errand to spend too terribly much time building a match into something other than a "wait-and-see" contest.

Sacha Riether and Brede Hangeland could find themselves back in the starting XI tomorrow, and that seems a good thing as stopping the glut of goals conceded is surely foremost on the list of problems Meulensteen must address. Dimitar Berbatov is also back in contention after illness and will either have a fire lit beneath is insouciant Bulgarian backside or will be biding his time until the January transfer window opens. Which you prefer is an option most Fulham supporters will already have decided long ago.

AVB on the other hand is a manager blessed with a remarkably talented side that has inexplicably under preformed this campaign. He will have high hopes that his Spurs can enjoy a dynamic day out against a floundering Fulham side. Jermain Defoe or Roberto Soldado is about as significant a quandary as the Portuguese manager faces.

Any time a club changes manager there is a period of departure from the mean. One match is not large enough a sample size through which to draw any conclusions. Is Fulham a capable side that has thus far been encumbered with an incapable manager? Or is Fulham an incapable side that has rightly been marked with the stigma of looming relegation?

Tomorrow is just the beginning of the answer to that question.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/12/4/5172348/this-is-my-preview-and-im-sticking-to-it-fulham-v-tottenham-hotspur?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss wants improved work-rate for Tottenham clash

New Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen knows hard work is the only way his players are going to turn their season around.

Dutchman Meulensteen takes charge of the side for the first time against Tottenham on Wednesday night after stepping into the Craven Cottage hot-seat after Martin Jol was sacked in the wake of a 3-0 defeat at West Ham, a sixth consecutive defeat leaving them 18th in the Barclays Premier League.

Meulensteen, 49, only arrived at the west London club last month to work under Jol, whom he had known for many years, but firmly believes there must be a positive mental attitude to the challenges ahead.

"Fulham have had too many poor results and we must now create a platform to get away from our position," he said.

"We need to make sure the players take responsibility, with work-rate and their discipline."

Right-back Sascha Riether will return from a three-match suspension for the clash with Spurs after he was handed a retrsopective ban for stamping on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj was not seen by the match officials at the time, but caught on video.

Defender Brede Hangeland could be back after a sciatic nerve problem, while striker Dimitar Berbatov is also expected to be fit following illness.

Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes feels the players must stay positive for the challenges ahead.

"We have just got to keep going and believing in ourselves. When you are in the middle of a bad run the last thing you want to do is let your head drop, feel sorry for yourself and make excuses," he said.

"We just have to all pull together and try and get through this busy period coming up when there are a lot of games and you can pick up a lot of points quickly.

"We have to try and be positive and take the things we are doing on the training pitch into games."

Fulham now have two successive home matches, with Aston Villa the visitors on Sunday, which Hughes feels can help the Cottagers turn the corner.

"If we can take six points from the next two games, the table would look completely different," the centre-back added.

"That is what we're aiming for.

"We will look at the West Ham game and figure out where we went wrong, and then prepare for Spurs and Villa."

Meulensteen had two spells on Sir Alex Ferguson's backroom staff at Manchester United, but his experience as head coach are limited, with just 17 days in charge at Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala while previous management roles came at Brondby and in Qatar with Al-Gharafa and Al-Sadd.

The new Cottagers boss has moved quickly to bring in his own men behind the scenes in a reshuffle following Jol's two-and-a-half years at the club.

Former Manchester United academy coach Jonathan Hill has come in, while Kit Symons, the current development team manager, will also be assisting with first-team training.

Meanwhile, Fulham confirmed Jol's brother Cornelis, who worked as football operations manager, plus coaches Michael Lindeman and Billy McKinlay have also left Craven Cottage.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_wants_improved_work_rate_for_tottenham_clash_1_3068967

WhiteJC

Berbatov wants Fulham exit, says agent

Dimitar Berbatov wants to leave Fulham in the January transfer window, according to his agent.

Berbatov signed for the West London club from Manchester United back in August last year for £5 million, but after scoring 15 times for his new side during the previous campaign has struggled this season, with only two goals to his name so far.

The Mirror had earlier reported that newly-appointed manager Rene Meulensteen, who has been placed in charge following the sacking of Martin Jol on Sunday, is determined to help Berbatov "rediscover his goal-scoring touch".

However, with six months left on his contract at Craven Cottage, the striker is looking to move on from the club, who have lost their last five games and find themselves 18th in the Premier League, and already the new manager faces a battle to keep hold of the Bulgarian.

"I don't usually speculate as nobody knows what will happen in January but what I can tell you is he [Berbatov] is not happy at Fulham," said the player's agent Emil Dantchev.

"He would like, if possible, to find another option."

Turkish side Trabzonspor are monitoring the 32-year-old, with their president saying: "Berbatov has been on our agenda. We want better and better quality and are endeavouring to add that to our squad."

"I cannot comment [on whether there has been any approach] but the priority is to find a solution to stay in England," Dantchev added.
Fulham have refused to comment on the situation.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/263265.html#pbgccZsK3dMlMTt7.99

WhiteJC

Tottenham Must Avoid Falling Foul Of Former Player, New Coach Syndrome

Tottenham have always been an easy touch for former players, new managers or players making their debut. Spurs are guaranteed to give them an easy ride on such occasions.

As Spurs reflected on the draw with Manchester United on Sunday afternoon and contemplated the prospect of playing a struggling Fulham team this evening, the game at Craven Cottage took on a whole new complexity at around 4.20pm. It was at that time that Fulham announced that Martin Jol had been sacked and the Head Coach, Rene Meulensteen, would take over. Meulensteen who was only appointed a few weeks ago has previously been first team coach at former Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson. He was in charge of Spurs' Europa League opponents, Anzhi for 16 days during the summer before the owner withdrew his funding.

'New Manager Syndrome'
The appointment of a new manager at Craven Cottage will lift the Fulham players who have struggled in recent weeks and are 18th in the Premier League, three points behind Cardiff City. They lost 3 – 0 at West Ham on Saturday and have suffered 6 League and Cup defeats since defeating Crystal Palace in late October. Their last home win was in their previous game at the beginning of the month, a 1 – 0 win over Stoke City.

Fulham will be looking for a boost from the appointment of the new manager – that the players will produce that extra effort and have a greater incentive to impress the new man in charge. It's a new start for the players and they will want to show Meulensteen that they deserve to be in his starting team.

The sacking of Jol will give the London derby a little extra charge and Spurs will have to be prepared to be even more committed to avoid falling foul of the 'New Manager Syndrome'.

'Former Players Syndrome'
Scott Parker completes move to Fulham [Photo: Jav The_DoC_66]As if it wasn't enough to have to face team wanting to make a point to their new manager, Tottenham will also be playing a team which will contain a number of former players. Playing against your former club always gives a player an added desire to put in that extra commitment to make a point to their former employers.

Scott Parker who left Tottenham last summer to accommodate the arrival of Spurs' new midfield players will be one player in particular who will want to impress.

Then there's Dimitar Berbatov who scored he only goal of the game at White Hart Lane last March, a win which did nothing to help Spurs' drive for Champions league football.

Darren Bent, signed on loan from Aston Villa in the summer, took great delight when scoring twice for Sunderland in the opening 30 minutes in a 3 – 1 win at the Stadium of Light after departing White Hart Lane. He could have had four but for two penalty saved by Heurelho Gomes.

Adel Taarabt provided the only goal of the game at Lofyus Road in Ledley King's last match for Spurs in April, 2012 and then was sent off late in the game.

Playing against a former club can provide a great motivation for certain players and Spurs will have to be ready to combat that as well.

Rememeber Emmanuel Adebayor against Manchester City and Arsenal last season – he used his motivation to good effect at City but then over-stepped the mark at Arsenal with an early sending off after scoring the opening goal.

Spurs will have to be prepared for 'Former Player Syndrome'.

At least Tottenham have Mousa Dembele. He will have a desire to remind Fulham of how good he was for them and he may face his namesake, Moussa Dembele, a young French player who was among the Fulham substitutes last weekend. He played for the Fulham Under-18 team a few weeks ago against Spurs and scored the equaliser with a penalty in a 2 – 2 draw.

There is a long list of players who have played for both Tottenham and Fulham, Spurs will want to ensure that the current crop of former players don't spoil their evening as the endeavour to make a good impression on their new manager and revive Fulham's season. Spurs will have to ensure that their motivation to recover from last month's disappointments is greater than anything the Fulham team will have.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=34505.15;num_replies=22

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Berbatov exit would be GOOD for Fulham, claims Collins

John Collins believes it would be best for Fulham if Dimitar Berbatov moves on in the January transfer window.

Berbatov is reportedly keen to quit the Premier League strugglers following Martin Jol's departure.

The Bulgarian impressed in his debut season for the London club, after joining from Manchester United in August 2012, but has come in for criticism for his lethargic displays this term.

And, when asked on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast what he would make of Berbatov leaving Fulham, former Craven Cottage star Collins said: "I don't think that would be a bad thing.

"I am an admirer of his talent and his skill but he is not a worker. He doesn't press from the front. He's been dropping a little too deep for me the last six months and Fulham need all hands on deck. They need a squad of players on the pitch that are going to roll their sleeves up and work their socks off.

"Of course, when they have got the ball they have got to be able to use it and he can use the ball, but I just feel maybe it is time for him to move on and be replaced."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-berbatov-exit-would-be-good-fulham-claims-collins-13120470527#6UuzhvFlRIsoMYqI.99

WhiteJC

Fulham v Tottenham: Kyle Walker wants revenge following defeat to Fulham at White Hart Lane

The Cottagers won 1-0 when these sides last met

Tottenham right-back Kyle Walker says his team will be out for revenge when they take on Fulham in Wednesday's London derby at Craven Cottage.

At the turn of the year, Spurs looked certainties for Champions League qualification, but their form dropped towards the end of the campaign and, once again, Arsenal just pipped them to fourth position for the second successive season.

One of the most telling blows to Tottenham's Champions League push came in March, when Fulham won at White Hart Lane thanks to Dimitar Berbatov's second-half goal.

Spurs' season began to unravel soon after as they dropped points against Wigan and Chelsea, and Walker has not forgotten the impact of the loss to the Cottagers.

"Last season when Fulham came to White Hart Lane they beat us, so we owe them something for that," he said.

"I don't like losing any game, but I think that game was the turning point from last season."

If current form is anything to go on, Fulham will prove to be the ideal opponents for Tottenham.

The Cottagers have lost their last six games and their last run-out was the dismal 3-0 defeat to West Ham, which cost Martin Jol his job.

Fulham's players will be out to impress their new manager Rene Meulensteen, however, and Walker knows it would be foolish to write the west London club off.

"It will still be difficult," he said.

"No game is easy. It's a London derby. They are fighting for things just like we are fighting for things.

"We need to dig in like we did against Manchester United on Sunday, show enthusiasm and desire that we want to go out and win and if we do then I think we will get the result."

Spurs bounced back from their 6-0 defeat at Manchester City with a creditable 2-2 draw against the Premier League champions last weekend.

Although Tottenham have a packed schedule coming up, manager Andre Villas-Boas will be loath to make serious changes to his team for the Fulham game after Sunday's encouraging result.

Still, the Portuguese is pondering a change in formation from 4-2-3-1 to the 4-4-2 system which some fans yearn for so much.

"We can probably look at it," the former Chelsea boss said.

"It depends. We have been successful in some ways, with one off the striker, but there is a possibility."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-v-tottenham-kyle-walker-wants-revenge-following-defeat-to-fulham-at-white-hart-lane-8981970.html

WhiteJC

Why Fulham Should Reject Berbatov Exit Talk

It seems laughable that a football player who is worth so much but offers so little into the club should be allowed to pack his bags and leave when times get tough. Dimitar Berbatov's form has been nonexistent this season but as his contract runs out in the summer he is apparently looking to move on in the new year. But how should Fulham play it?

For me, Berbatov shouldn't be allowed to leave. It could be a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face, but the Bulgarian is part of the reason why the London side are in this mess so he should be made to stay round and help clear it up.

The former Manchester United man scored 15 league goals last season but his only goal of the campaign this time round was against lowly Crystal Palace. His link up play with his team-mates is sluggish, his ability in the air has dissolved and the way he creates space for himself in the box is now, on many occasions, harmless.

If I was manager of Fulham, there is no way that I would let Berbatov just stroll out of Craven Cottage, although the hierarchy may have something to say about losing him on a free.

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/blogs/2013/12/4/why-fulham-should-reject-berbatov-exit-talk.html?

WhiteJC

Sacking Of Martin Jol Severs A Connection Between Tottenham And Fulham

Martin Jol has managed both Tottenham and Fulham. A popular manager, his sacking last weekend severs one of the many links between the two London clubs.

Martin Jol arrived at Tottenham in the summer of 2004 as assistant to Jacques Santini. After the unexpected departure of the manager the following October, he became manager and had a great affinity with the club wanting to emulate the success and style achieved by Bill Nicholson. He managed to take the team to fifth place in the Premier League for two successive years, only missing out on fourth and Champions League football on the first occasion on the last day of the season in May, 2006 when his team were struck down by sickness and lost at West Ham United in what became known as 'Lasagnegate'.

In the summer of 2007, the Tottenham board, however, were seen in Spain talking to Juande Ramos. While denying they had approached the Spaniard to become manager, Jol's position had been undermined and after a poor start to the season, he lost his position and was replaced by Ramos. It was during a UEFA Cup match at White Hart Lane against Getafe in October that news broke of Jol's sacking. As word spread around the stands it created a very strange atmosphere in the ground and Spurs lost 2 – 1. It was a very unfortunate situation that Spurs had put themselves in and the removal of their manager was a rather unsavory episode in the club's history.

Jol split the fans, some siding with the Directors who felt he had taken the team as far as he could while others thought he should be given more time.

After a time out of English football, the former Tottenham manager returned to Premier League football in the summer of 2011. He had spent a season with Hamburg and then two years in Holland as manger of Ajax where in his first season he missed out on winning the League title by a single point. it was while in Holland that he played Jav Vertonghen in central defence, the position where every Spurs supporters feels that he could best serve Tottenham.

After two season at Craven cottage Jol was replaced last weekend. His team has struggled this season and are 18th in the premier League with only 3 wins and a draw from their 13 matches. Jol had a number of former Tottenham players in his squad – Dimitar Berbatov, Scott Parker who signed in the summer and Adel Taarabt and Darren Bent who joined on loan from QPR and Aston Villa respectively.

http://hotspurhq.com/2013/12/04/sacking-martin-jol-severs-connection-tottenham-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham join Liverpool in the race for Dinamo Moscow winger Balazs Dzsudzsak

The 26-year-old is the most expensive player in Hungarian football history and could be available in the January transfer window

Target: Balazs Dzsudzsak is being lined up for a move to Fulham
Getty

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen has identified Dinamo Moscow winger Balazs Dzsudzsak as his number one January transfer target, according to reports.

The Dutchman was appointed as the Cottagers' boss on Sunday as Martin Jol was dismissed after the 3-0 defeat to West Ham United.

Meulensteen is expected to improve his squad in January and owner Shahid Khan is likely to give him the financial backing to secure the club's top-flight survival.

And according to Russian publication Izvestiya, Hungarian international Dzsudzsak is being lined up for a switch to West London.

The 26-year-old was linked with a switch to Liverpool last summer, with his agent admitting the Reds, along with Inter Milan, had made enquiries about the winger.

However, he decided to stay in Moscow as the club spent big - as much as £80m - to secure the services of three Russian internationals, including former Chelsea man Yuri Zhirkov.

Dzsudzsak became the most expensive footballer in Hungarian history back in 2012, when he joined his current club from Anzhi Makhachkala for close to £15m but he is now open to another move.

Meulensteen is desperate to add to Fulham's squad in January and his transfer budget could be boosted, should top-earner Dimitar Berbatov depart Craven Cottage.

Last night, Mirror Sport revealed the Bulgarian maverick is seeking a move away from the club, as they become embroiled in a relegation battle

New boss Meulensteen will take charge of his first game against Tottenham tonight, with the club 18th in the Premier League table and just two points ahead of rock-bottom Sunderland.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/balazs-dzsudzsak-transfer-fulham-join-2881256#ixzz2mWYYMID7
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Meulensteen Is Keen Not to Be All Talk at Fulham

There is a sense of irony in Rene Meulensteen foregoing the traditional pre-match press conference ahead of his first game in charge of Fulham against Tottenham Hotspur Wednesday night.

Meulensteen, according to those who worked with him at Manchester United, certainly knew how to "talk the talk" and there were times when his readiness to discuss the club's transfer targets in his native Holland irked Sir Alex Ferguson and his assistant, Mike Phelan, to the extent that their exasperation was relayed to the loose-lipped first-team coach.

Yet three days into his job as Fulham manager, having succeeded the sacked Martin Jol on Sunday, Meulensteen appears to be working on the basis that actions speak louder than words as he sets about ensuring that Craven Cottage continues to stage Premier League football next season.

Fulham, three points adrift of safety, need results rather than soundbites, and in a perfect world, he will want to deliver both.

The 49-year-old, like Brian Kidd, Carlos Queiroz and Steve McClaren before him, is putting his reputation on the line by choosing to step up from the United training pitch to the top job elsewhere.

Ferguson infamously questioned Kidd's credentials to go it alone after his departure for the Blackburn Rovers manager's job in 1998 - they were relegated at the end of Kidd's first season - while both McClaren and Queiroz enjoyed success and failure in equal measure after taking the leap into management.

But for Ferguson's decision to retire as United manager, Meulensteen is unlikely to have left Old Trafford in the summer, despite his efforts to improve his contract and salary earlier this year, prior to the Scot's exit.

David Moyes offered Meulensteen the role of assistant manager - a promotion from his previous position - but with the Dutchman aware of Moyes's hands-on approach on the training field, he rejected the offer due to concerns that his coaching duties wou under the new regime.

Ferguson would delegate coaching responsibilities to the point that he would often not appear at training until Thursday, leaving Meulensteen and Phelan to co-ordinate preparations ahead of the forthcoming game.

Although Phelan was the senior man in the relationship, Ferguson's No?2 and a man trusted by the manager to deal with issues on and off the pitch, Meulensteen's coaching was well-regarded by the United players.

Meulensteen, a disciple of the famed Dutch skills coach Wiel Coerver, would encourage self-expression and adventure and the blueprint he imposed as United's technical skills development officer in 2007 remains in place, with the club's youngsters urged to experiment with flair and trickery when many youngsters elsewhere are taught to take fewer risks with the ball.

Robin van Persie claimed last season that Meulensteen's coaching and attention to detail were key factors in United's success during the 2012-13 campaign. "The way he trains is exceptional," said Van Persie. "He is truly one of the best coaches in the world. I have had a lot of good trainers, but it's the way he prepares our team for games. He wins points for us through his training. We've won a lot of games by the odd goal."

With Van Persie's high praise coinciding with Meulensteen's failure to secure better terms from United, some within Old Trafford suspected a PR offensive by the Dutchmen, who became close following Van Persie's arrival from Arsenal in August 2012.

True or not, it failed to have the desired effect and Meulensteen's sense of being undervalued continued until his departure was confirmed in the wake of Moyes's arrival.

With Fulham, however, Meulensteen has the opportunity to prove his worth beyond United and justify the self-confidence that led him to claim much of the credit for Cristiano Ronaldo's development at Old Trafford.

Whether he can live up to the hype with a squad of players less talented than those he worked with at United, only time will tell. But as Kidd, Queiroz and McClaren all discovered after emerging from Ferguson's shadow, there is no comfort zone away from the protective blanket of Manchester United.

http://newindianexpress.com/sport/Meulensteen-Is-Keen-Not-to-Be-All-Talk-at-Fulham/2013/12/04/article1927537.ece?

WhiteJC

Berbatov given a month to prove worth

Dimitar Berbatov has been given a month to prove to Rene Meulensteen that he is prepared to fight to keep Fulham in the Premier League.

Reports that Berbatov wants to quit Craven Cottage at the earliest possible opportunity remain unconfirmed, but speculation could increase if he is not named in the Fulham starting line-up against Tottenham. The Bulgarian striker faces his former club tonight with a point to prove after Martin Jol was given the sack partly because of Berbatov's lacklustre displays this season. Jol paid Manchester United just under £5million for Berbatov the summer before last but, after a promising start, his performance levels have dropped. The 32-year-old scored 15 Premier League goals in his first season at Craven Cottage but has managed only one so far this term and finds himself having to prove himself worth a place under the new coach. Meulensteen worked with him at Old Trafford and knows what he can produce but the Dutchman's first task appears to be to light a fire under Berbatov ahead of the vital home clash with Spurs. Reports that Berbatov wants out of the club in the wake of Jol's sacking look premature, but they have ramped up the personal pressure on him to perform if selected for the match at Craven Cottage. He has six months left on his contract and there has been some interest from Trabzonspor recently.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/berbatov-given-a-month-to-prove-worth-1674050.html?

WhiteJC

Chris Coleman has backed Rene Meulensteen to be a Fulham success

Wales boss Chris Coleman has backed Rene Meulensteen to be a success at Fulham.

Jol paid the price for a poor start to the season which has left the Cottagers in the bottom three of the table.

"Coaching and managing are two different things," said Coleman, who made the step up from player to manger with Fulham in 2003.

"But he's a good man Rene and he'll have the respect of the players. I've seen him coach myself and there's not many better than him on the coaching side of things.

"Managing is different but he's going to have help from Kit Symonds, who is my assistant with Wales and someone I've known for the last 25 years, and a better man you can't get.

"When you're a manager, you need someone beside you that you trust, obviously knows the game and is honest, and in Kit Symonds he's got one of the best there for sure.

"Fulham are in the bottom three; he's not a magician Rene, he's an excellent coach and he is a good man.

"It may take him a little bit of time; I think as soon as they get the next win, he will try and build on that.

"I hope it goes well for him, I'm sure it will. It's a great club Fulham, it deserves to be in the Premier League, real fantastic set of supporters, I was there for 10 years myself as a player and manager.

"I hope and pray they get out of the bottom three and I hope Rene will keep them up this year, I think he will and then maybe they can build on that.

"But they need to be a little bit patient with him at the start, they just need to get that first win."

Wales winger Gareth Bale has discovered his best form for Real Madrid in recent weeks and netted a hat-trick in the weekend win over Real Valladolid.

Bale was hampered by injuries when he first arrived at the Bernabeu, but Coleman believes it was only a matter of time before he proved his worth to the Spanish giants.

"That's football. Last month after El Clasico he was under pressure, but a month later he is playing well and everyone realises what a good player he is and that's good news for everyone," said Coleman

"His talent was never in doubt. He is a fantastic player - one of the top players on the planet.

"But he is the same player as last year. He will not all of a sudden do ridiculous things to warrant that price tag.

"He has to be himself, enjoy his football and keep playing the way he can and the way he has over the last two or three years.

"He is a super player, he is a great guy to work with and I think he is comfortable in Madrid, which is important and he is enjoying his football."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9056815?

WhiteJC

Tottenham ace Dembele surprised at Fulham slump

Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele has admitted that he is surprised to see former club Fulham languishing in the relegation zone.

The Whites have lost six games on the spin and parted company with Martin Jol on Sunday.

Spurs travel to Craven Cottage tonight and Rene Meulensteen's side will be hoping to get the Dutchman's reign off to a winning side.

And Dembele, who moved across London to White Hart Lane in August 2012, hopes that Fulham do find their form again, although, naturally after tonight's game.

"Yeah, for sure [I'm surprised about their league position]," Dembele said.

"They are a very good team and I was sure they were going to do well this season.

"I like the club very much so I hope they are OK, but tonight I want us to win of course."

Dembele was speaking minutes before the sacking of Jol was announced and said on the former Whites boss: "When I was at Fulham I liked him very much. He was a very good manager."

http://www.london24.com/sport/tottenham_ace_dembele_surprised_at_fulham_slump_1_3076032

WhiteJC

Agent claims Berba wants new English club

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov hopes to leave the club in January, according to his agent Emil Dantchev.

The former Manchester United hitman could now be axed for the visit of another of his former clubs Tottenham on Wednesday night. The 32-year-old has been underperforming this season and now wants out of the club six months before his contract expires next summer. Berbatov has scored just twice in 12 appearances for the Cottagers this season, a barren run that contributed to the struggles that cost Martin Jol his job. Dantchev, who represents Berbatov, confirmed the newspaper story that claimed the striker was not happy at Fulham. "I don't usually speculate as nobody knows what will happen in January but what I can tell you is he (Berbatov) is not happy at Fulham," Dantchev told Sky Sports. "He would like, if possible, to find another option." Trabzonspor have been linked with a move for the striker but Dantchev suggested that his client would prefer to remain in the Premier League. "I cannot comment (on whether there has been any approach) but the priority is to find a solution to stay in England," he added.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/agent-claims-berba-wants-new-english-club-1674057.html?

WhiteJC

Winger on Cottage Radar

Rene Meulensteen has already, having only been in the job for a couple of days, Fulham need to spend come the January transfer window to ensure we don`t fall through that relegation trap door, come next May.

To that effect, we`re already being linked with a, what is for us, a big-money move for a winger currently on the books of the Russian club, Dynamo Moscow.

The player on the Craven Cottage radar is Balas Dzsudzsak, who is twenty-six years of age, and who is, so the media are informing us, valued at a cool £11 million.

It remains to be seen just how much of a spending splurge Shahid Khan will authorize come the opening of the January transfer window and if Dzsudzsak will be one of those coming in!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=340837#ixzz2mWaXyhY3

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan: I gave Martin Jol time but it simply wasn't working

Fulham owner Shahid Khan says he gave Martin Jol enough time to turn things around but had to  sack him because results showed no signs of improving.

Jol was dismissed on Sunday and replaced by Rene Meulensteen, who takes charge of his first game when Fulham host Tottenham tonight. Jol leaves Fulham in the relegation zone following a run of five successive defeats and Khan, who will be at Craven Cottage, insists he had to act.

Writing in tonight's matchday programme, Khan (above) said: "I wanted to give Martin and the club ample time to change the flow. I thought Martin and the players deserved as much. Unfortunately, our form continued to suffer, valuable points were lost, and signs of being able  to turn our fortunes around were simply missing.

"With great disappointment, I spoke to Martin on Sunday and informed him that the time had arrived to make a change. Martin accepted the news with class and dignity. I was not surprised in the least — he is a good man."

Meulensteen was initially appointed to work alongside Jol and Khan admits he is asking "a lot more" of the new boss by giving him "responsibility of the first team".

Khan said: "Rene's credentials are impressive. I am delighted he has accepted responsibility of correcting our course."

The full interview with Khan is in tonight's match programme, on sale  at Craven Cottage.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/shahid-khan-i-gave-martin-jol-time-but-it-simply-wasnt-working-8982945.html

WhiteJC

From Scott Parker to Adel Taarabt: We rate Fulham's summer signings

As the January transfer window looms, Standard Sport takes a look at how Fulham's summer signings have fared so far this season.

Scott Parker - B: Parker turned down the chance to link up with former manager Harry Redknapp at QPR to join from Spurs and is already a fans' favourite at Craven Cottage. A consistent performer, he has been given the captains' armband in recent weeks with Brede Hangeland out.

Maarten Stekelenburg - B: Signed for £5million from Roma, Stekelenburg suffered a shoulder injury on his debut in August and was sidelined for two months. Restored to the team when he returned, the Holland international has not been to blame for Fulham's struggles.

Darren Bent - C: Bent says he can force his way back into the England squad for the World Cup but he has struggled since joining on loan from Fulham. The forward, who does not look fully fit, has scored only two Premier League goals.

Sascha Riether - C: One of the Premier League's most consistent right backs last season, Riether completed a permanent deal in the summer but has been part of a Fulham poor defence this season. Was banned for three games after admitting a charge of violent conduct for stamping on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj.
PA

Elsad Zverotic - D: The Montenegro defender has failed to impress in his five appearances so far.

Derek Boateng - D: After starting the first game of the season against Sunderland, midfielder Boateng has been limited to just three Premier League games. Unlikely to get much playing time under new manager Rene Meulensteen.

Adel Taarabt - C: Taarabt has struggled to force his way into the Fulham team since moving to Craven Cottage on loan from QPR but has undergone extra training sessions to improve his fitness. He impressed on his first Premier League start for three months against West Ham on Saturday and could feature more now.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/from-scott-parker-to-adel-taarabt-we-rate-fulhams-summer-signings-8982972.html

WhiteJC

Chelsea Lead Chase For Berbatov

Following Dimitar Berbatovs' agent expressing his clients desire to leave Craven Cottage, Chelsea find themselves at the front of the queue to secure the 32-year-old Bulgarians signature.

Mourinho has made no secret of his desire to add more goals to his current striking options and Berbatov could be the ideal short term solution.

Despite having a disappointing season by his high standards with just one Premiership goal so far, Berbatov would no doubt thrive on the ammunition provided by Hazard, Oscar, Mata and pals.

The former Manchester United and Tottenham strikers class and ability are beyond question and with an inconsistent Fernando Torres, a Demba Ba yet to explode as he did at Newcastle United and a Samuel Eto'o playing a cameo role in the Chelsea side, Blues supremo Jose Mourinho is likely to be on high alert as to the Fulham front mans situation. A failed attempt to persuade Wayne Rooney to make the switch to Stamford Bridge in the summer has left Chelsea seeking a striker of proven quality to lead their assault on the Premiership title.

Any funds from a potential sale of Berbatov would be welcome at Craven Cottage as the West London club begin to formulate a strategy to keep them in the Premiership. Potential swap deals for a host of Chelsea stars not playing regular first team football could also be a possible option for the Cottagers.

Despite the likelihood of a host of clubs both in the Premier League and abroad courting the want-away forward, the lure of Champions League football, one last big pay day and the chance to remain in London, may just be too tempting to prevent Berbatovs move just 2 miles across town.

http://www.sport.co.uk/football/chelsea-lead-chase-for-berbatov/4516033/?

WhiteJC

Daily Debate: Berba right for Arsenal?

Two TEAMtalk writers debate whether Arsenal should move for Dimitar Berbatov after the Bulgarian's agent confirmed he wants to leave Fulham.

In Daily Debate, two TEAMtalk writers give their views on a hot topic and then invite readers to decide who has put forward the best argument.

You can vote for your winner using the story comment facility at the bottom of the article, or by declaring your support on Twitter.

Should Arsenal move for Dimitar Berbatov?

Dimitar Berbatov's agent has confirmed the Bulgarian "is not happy" at Fulham and would like to "find another option" in January.

With Arsenal sure to be looking for back-up for Olivier Giroud, is Berbatov the perfect solution for Arsene Wenger? Mark Holmes and Ian Watson have their say...

Mark Holmes (@homzy)

At 32 and with just two goals in 12 appearances for Fulham this season, Berbatov is hardly the perfect signing for Arsenal.

However, Gunners fans are kidding themselves if they believe they're going to get that in January. Even the most free-spending of clubs can complain about the lack of value in the winter transfer window and, although he sanctioned the signing of Mesut Ozil, Arsene Wenger is no less determined than he ever has been not to pay what he perceives to be over the odds on a player.

With that in mind, what top striker is he realistically going to be able to sign in January given clubs will want silly money to part with any prized assets midway through the season?

And more to the point, do Arsenal even need a top striker in January? Olivier Giroud has been fantastic for them this season and it'd be a huge risk to start rotating him with a player that wants regular games. It could knock Giroud's confidence for a start, and there is never any guarantee of a new signing hitting the ground after the move.

It does make sense, however, for Wenger to add a back-up striker in case of emergencies and to allow Giroud to be rested when needed.

There is not a long list of options but Berbatov would not cost a great deal and would be eligible for the Champions League, a competition he has plenty of experience in.

He may not be a viable long-term option but his ability has never been in question, and he could just be the short-term stop gap to help Arsenal sustain their title challenge.

State your support for Mark using the story comment facility below or by tweeting the hashtag #berbaright to @TEAMtalk.

Ian Watson (@IanWatson1)

Arsenal can and should do better than Berbatov in January.

The Bulgarian can be a delightful player to watch and his elegance may appeal to Wenger, but the Gunners boss appears to be taking a more pragmatic approach this season and is likely to understand that January is not the time and Arsenal is not the place to indulge Berbatov.

Wenger is having difficulty in convincing some outsiders that his side are genuine title contenders, though the addition of another top class forward in January would go a long way to silencing those doubts. Arsenal will be fighting on three fronts in the New Year but they cannot sustain a credible challenge in the Premier League and Champions League unless they bring in support for Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski.

Giroud has done a fine job acting as the Gunners' pivot man, with the likes of Aaron Ramsey, Mesut Ozil, Santi Cazorla, Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere all buzzing off the target man. Is Berbatov capable of doing the 'dirty work' like Giroud - on or off the ball?

During his time at Manchester United, Berbatov was often accused of slowing down the Red Devils attack and his Old Trafford career was effectively over when Sir Alex Ferguson chose Michael Owen as a greater goal threat from the bench for the 2011 Champions League final. After a largely fruitless spell at Fulham, Berbatov, 33 in January, is not the man to bolster the Gunners' firepower.

Gary Neville said in the summer than Arsenal must "go now" if they were ever to challenge again under Wenger. The manager loosened the purse-strings and bought Ozil. The same applies in January. Arsenal can win the title but they must go all in when it comes to adding a striker.

The winter window is certainly a trickier time to add top quality but Christian Benteke would be a more ideal target. He would not come cheaply or easily but Wenger surely sees now that the reward is worth the financial risk.

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/9056923/Daily-Debate-Berba-right-for-Arsenal-?

WhiteJC

Sascha Reither v Kyle Walker: Head-to-head analysis ahead of the clash between Fulham and Tottenham

Check out all the vital statistics concerning the two sides' defenders ahead of tonight's Premier League meeting at Craven Cottage

Ahead of tonight's Premier League meeting, between Fulham and Tottenham, see how the sides' defenders Sascha Reither and Kyle Walker compare.

Data and graphic provided by whoscored.com

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sascha-reither-v-kyle-walker-headtohead-analysis-ahead-of-the-clash-between-fulham-and-tottenham-8983184.html