more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (06/12/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 06, 2013, 06:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Dejagah's Spurs Verdict

Ashkan Dejagah believes the Whites can take all three points against Aston Villa if we can replicate the Spurs performance.

Dejagah's Tottenham Reaction

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/05/ashkan-verdict?

WhiteJC

Berbatov Does Want Out

But not to Turkish football!

All credit to Dimitar Berbtov for, last night, producing the kind of performance we`ve been yearning for in recent weeks.

Even more so when you consider that the Bulgarian has been the subject of much speculation relating to a move away from Craven Cottage, perhaps to Turkey.

Well in the aftermath of another defeat, this time to Tottenham Hotspur, Berbatov`s agent has to refute claims that Berbatov is bound for Turkish football but has done nothing to allay the fears that he will be leaving Craven Cottage, quite possibly in the January transfer window.

His agent, Emil Dantchev has remarked to the media,

"He is not happy at Fulham."

"He would like to find another option and the priority is to stay in England."

So what has gone so drastically wrong for Dimitar at Fulham and who exactly does he believe will seek his services come January?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=340947#ixzz2mfvElnGE

WhiteJC

Riise Now Wants to Stay!

Less than a week ago, it looked as if John Arne Riise was heading out of the Craven Cottage exit door.

Clearly dissatisfied with life under Martin Jol the 33 year-old Norwegian full back had hinted that a return to Norwegian football was on the cards.

However, the sacking of Jol and the introduction of Rene Meulensteen as our head coach has caused Riise to have a re-think.

Riise was in the starting eleven, against Spurs last night, and it I snow looking as if the player is determined to stay and fight for a place under our new coach, remarking to the media,

"I will give everything. I`m ready in case the new manager wants me."

Now that`s the spirit we`re looking for!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=340950#ixzz2mfvPTYog

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Aston Villa (13:30 GMT)

Performance-wise, Fulham were very good despite losing at home to Tottenham on Wednesday.

It might sound hard to believe but Dimitar Berbatov was running around. Maybe he is playing for a January move - who knows?

The Cottagers did not really do a lot wrong against Spurs but they could not get the second goal they needed and, once Tottenham equalised, there only really looked like being one winner.

But if Fulham play like that again against Aston Villa, I can see them getting the three points. Villa are very good on their travels, as we saw against Southampton, but I do not see them winning two on the spin away from home.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Jim's prediction: "I like Fulham and I love going to Craven Cottage. But I like Villa boss Paul Lambert more and I think he is going to get a 2-1 win."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25224445?

WhiteJC

Meulensteen`s View - Spurs (h)

His first game in charge may well have ended in a similar fashion to the last five of Martin Jol`s reign, but at least there was a bit of fight about our display against Tottenham Hotspur last night.

Rene Meulensteen has already stated that patience is a necessity and that players need to be bought in the January transfer window but retains an optimistic view with regards to our current predicament.

When pressed on our position in the bottom three, Meulensteen remarked,

"When you are in this position the most important thing is to keep working hard or the fear factor can kick in."

It`s a decent enough comment but, being churlish, how long before that fear factor does kick in? With a difficult fixture against Aston Villa this weekend, ending this run of Premier League defeats needs to end soon, otherwise the increasing total will be hanging over our heads.

But, returning to last night, Meulensteen also commented,

"Sir Alex taught me a lot but the thing that stuck with me is that you are always faced with challenges - but you must take them on and enjoy them."

Personally, whilst admiring his attitude, the view form the terraces is that the challenge facing us, namely retaining our Premier League status, is a far from enjoyable experience, I`d give my right arm to be sat comfortably in mid-table, now that`s enjoyment!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=340951#ixzz2mfw3Kx6g

WhiteJC

Etheridge spell could be over

Goalkeeper Neil Etheridge may not feature again for Crewe before the end of his loan spell after sustaining a thigh injury.

The Fulham stopper's stay with the Alex will expire on New Year's Day and boss Steve Davis is concerned that the 23-year-old may be unable to add to the three appearances he has already made.

Etheridge incurred the injury during his final clearance of the Alex's 1-0 win over Crawley last Saturday and the prognosis does not look good for the rest of his time at Gresty Road.

"We are disappointed for Neil because he was playing well and enjoying his loan," Davis told the club's official website.

"He had played three games and I thought he was getting better in every game.

"If he is unable to play for us again then I hope we could do something when he is fully fit again.

"I would certainly look at bringing him back and seeing if he can carry on where he left off. He is a super lad and a good goalkeeper."

Crewe are out of the FA Cup and so do not play this weekend but Davis must consider who to pick in goal against Coventry next weekend, with Steve Phillips and Alan Martin the most likely candidates.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9058685/etheridge-spell-could-be-over?

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes claims Dimitar Berbatov is key to avoiding drop

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes insists Dimitar Berbatov must remain at Craven Cottage if they are to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

The Bulgarian striker was the stand-out performer for the Cottagers on Wednesday night as they lost a hard-fought battle with Tottenham in Rene Meulensteen's first game in charge of the club.

However, prior to kick-off, Berbatov's agent revealed the striker could be looking for a move in the January transfer window.

Meulensteen insists he is confident Berbatov will still be a Fulham player come February and, speaking the wake of their midweek defeat, Hughes claimed his team-mate must stay.

"I think tonight he showed his performances are brilliant for us - not only on the ball but off the ball," Hughes told the Fulham Chronicle.

"He's a vital player for us, obviously. You've seen the contribution he makes and the role he has in our team.

"We need all our players at the minute to perform at the highest levels that they can and I thought tonight we got that from everyone."

Fulham were beaten 2-1 by Spurs after goals from Vlad Chiriches and Lewis Holtby cancelled out Ashkan Dejagah's opener for the hosts.

Meulensteen's men pressed until to the end and Hughes believes his side deserved to share the spoils but should take heart from an improved performance.

"We were unlucky not to get something," he added. "It would have been nice to walk away with at least a point.

"We hoped to get more, but first and foremost we wanted to put in a performance with a lot of energy, because that's what's been disappointing in the last few games.

"Sometimes the energy levels weren't up there. Today they were.

"It took two good strikes to undo us, so we are a little disappointed we didn't get anything, but there are a lot of positives to be taken from it."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9058854/?

WhiteJC

Rene reforms Fulham

Following a new low point in terms of performances with a 3-0 defeat to a distinctly average West Ham side, while failing to register a single shot on target, it came as little surprise to most when Martin Jol was finally removed from his post on Sunday.

It's something we have been crying out to happen for a while and was inevitable in the interests of our club going forward. I would, however, like to take a moment to thank Martin for his efforts and wish him the best of luck for the future.

I wanted to wait until the latter part of the week to post this blog to see how the team shaped up against Spurs at home under the guidance of Rene Meulensteen for the first time. I am delighted to say, for the first time in over a year, I am able to write about Fulham with a twinge of optimism and positivity – albeit following our sixth straight league defeat.

No one was expecting miracles at Craven Cottage on Wednesday evening given that it was only four days since we limped off Upton Park, but what we did want to see was the desire and spirit that has characterised the Fulham teams in recent years. Despite early reservations around the team selected by Rene, this is exactly what we got, and for the first time in a long while I felt proud walking home through Bishop's Park.

Right from the outset against Spurs we closed down, worked hard and fought for every ball. Yes, Giorgos Karagounis was only ever going to give us 60 minutes but what a 60 minutes! And John Arne Riise, who started his first game since August, gave us a performance that, while still riddled with errors, was somehow preferable to a makeshift Kieran Richardson. Even our mercurial Bulgarian, who certainly did little to adhere himself to the fans by declaring his intentions to leave the club before kick-off, actually broke a sweat at stages on Wednesday.

The real difference in Meulensteen's selection from Jol's was the width and pace that Alex Kacaniklic and Ashkan Dejagah brought to the side. Something so evidentially lacking in recent months as we persisted with consistently cutting inside; width made such a difference and allowed us to break effectively and provided an out ball that was not a four-yard pass into the centre of a congested midfield.

So, many positives in a game we still lost have hopefully paved the way for a recovery over the Christmas period. Last night finally felt like we had our club back and that fact was reflected by an atmosphere at Craven Cottage comparable to that special night against Juventus. We, as fans, need to really get behind Rene and the boys in the coming weeks and understand that it is us, as much as anyone else, who can turn Craven Cottage back in to a fortress it once was.

Roll on Villa and COYW !

http://www.shoot.co.uk/rene-reforms-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham to target Lyon star

Fulham could make an ambitious bid for Lyon striker and former Newcastle target Bafetimbi Gomis this January.

The struggling London side are keen to add a new striker to their squad this season to help their fight against relegation, particularly with Dimitar Berbatov looking likely to make an exit from Craven Cottage.

Several strikers have been linked already, but SportsDirect News understands that new Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen is particularly keen on Gomis, who has been a prolific source of goals in Ligue 1 down the years.

Fulham would no doubt face some stiff competition for his signature, with the likes of Roma and Lazio believed to be looking at him, and with reports suggesting that he rejected a move to Newcastle United in the summer.

Gomis was seemingly not willing to take a pay cut to move to St James' Park, but Fulham may free up the necessary space on their wage bill with the sale of Berbatov.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/football-transfer-window/36903-fulham-to-target-lyon-star.php#.UqF2n6UcKbA

WhiteJC

Rene's Review

Head Coach Rene Meulensteen reviews his first week in charge of the Whites and the display against Tottenham Hotspur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cKV6fjTzwY

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/05/renes-review?

WhiteJC

Fulham lose but fight returns

The Whites raised their game for the new manager to levels not seen in weeks, but it was still not enough to stave off a sixth successive defeat on a bitter night at the Cottage. A vastly expensive Tottenham side looks to be little more than mid-table fodder, while Fulham must struggle on till January with a team short of quality and lacking depth.

Spurs' rather fortuitous victory came courtesy of one improvised daisy cutter from range through a crowded penalty area and a wonder strike out of the blue that found the top corner. Both goals came in the final quarter of a game Fulham led following a thrilling strike from Ashkan Dejagah early into the second half. As this blog predicted, it was a night which could with arguable logic have produced any of three results.

That the Whites trooped off with nothing was hard to take. And the 2-1 loss makes the climb from the relegation places that much harder of course. But Rene Meulensteen saw plenty of positives to take from the game. This time, unlike his predecessor, the fans agreed with him.

Those of us on the Hammy End rose to salute the lads at the final whistle. We knew what we had witnessed. The support was loud and unanimous, the mood cautiously optimistic.

For his first game in charge, Meulensteen gambled on old legs but players big on character and experience. Giorgos Karagounis was handed a start and the 37-year-old proved outstanding for an hour. The Greek led by example. Mentally Kara reads a game and puts himself in positions beyond lesser lights in the current squad. His intelligence and tenacity more than compensate for the ravages of time.

Fulham led 1-0 as he trotted off after an hour to be replaced by Steve Sidwell. Thiry minutes later, with Pajtim Kasami volleying against the post on Fulham's last attack, the whistle blew and the victors celebrated as if they'd won the FA Cup. Clear signs Spurs and their manager have been feeling the pressure.

Where this game was won and lost was in the final half hour. Fulham's "impact subs" were Sidwell, Damien Duff and Bryan Ruiz. I leave you to draw on the significance of that. In truth, Meulensteen was left with few options. There were no back-up strikers on the bench -- prodigy Moussa Dembele, Hugo Rodallega and Darren Bent being all unfit.

Captain Brede Hangeland did not return, but a re-called Philippe Senderos played with real heart and by and large nullified the threat of Jermain Defoe. And there was a surprise recall for want-away John-Arne Riise. He, like Karagounis, responded to the call from the new boss and turned in a reasonable performance, though a few tired clearances marred his display late on.

But the revelation of the night was to see a re-energized Dimitar Berbatov putting himself about the pitch and prepared to put in a shift for Meulensteen. Unlucky not to score himself, he conjured up a peach of a pass that gave Dejagah the space to drill an immaculate strike across the keeper into the far corner. The "Warrior" soaked up the applause behind the net as we saluted his first senior goal for the club (finally!).

Sadly, it was to prove not quite enough. We still have a mountain to climb, but all Fulhamites can take pride in this performance.

The pundits believe Fulham have more quality than the strugglers around them. I agree. Scott Parker is the ideal captain. Berbatov can choose to either apply himself to Meulensteen's fresh team ethic (and he surely must know how to handle this complex character) or he can shove off. New blood will arrive in January, and I sense the new management team will be working the Manchester United connection to the hilt -- no bad thing.

If I had one caveat from this one, it would be to question why was Derek Boateng not pushed on to replace Kara? Being brutal -- for that is what football at this level is -- I maintain our club cannot move forward while waiting on Sidwell and Ruiz to deliver. They are not game-changers.

Having not taken a point since winning at Palace, the feel good factor will dissipate instantly unless three points are taken off Aston Villa on Sunday. Here's to the next round in the battle. At last I'm looking forward to going back down to a game.

As Mickey Adams used to tell his players, "The train has left the station, do you want to be on board?"

COYW!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1615?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Cold shower. Fulham's chances of reaching 40 points

Right. As you know, sometimes we here like to run Monte Carlo simulators to estimate likelihoods of things happening.

What?

So. I simulate 50,000 seasons game by game. The idea is that if, in any given game, Fulham have a 27% chance of winning, a 21% chance of drawing and a 52% chance of losing (as has been our form in the last 52 games), and if you then run 38 games like this, and repeat the episode over and over and over you can see how likely things are to happen, because in 'only' 38 games a wide range of things can happen.

The result?

n those simulations where the team had 10 points in 14 games, the most likely end of season outcome was.... 33 points.  A likely range is maybe 31-37.

Oh.

40 points or more? That happens 23% of the time.

This assumes that the team is going to be at its level of the past year or so.  That means a bit better than this season's efforts but not as good as we might like.  Now, Rene may very well improve the team but how much room for growth is there?  We can want all we want but it seems optimistic to expect a performance level established over 52 games to suddenly be far too low, new coach or otherwise.

So we are in trouble. We knew that, but here it is statistically.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/cold-shower-fulhams-chances-of-reaching-40-points/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen may only be keeping the seat warm for Roberto Di Matteo

Cottagers put the Dutchman in charge when they axed Martin Jol but have given no assurances about making it permanent

Not black and white: Meulensteen's Fulham future remains unclear
Paul Gilham

Rene Meulensteen is still uncertain on his future at Fulham.

Meulensteen has been put in charge of first team affairs, but no long term assurances have been given by the Cottagers' hierarchy.

It means former Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo is still watching developments at the Blues' west London neighbours.

Former Manchester United coach Meulensteen was appointed as head coach last month and then upgraded to "run first team duties" on Sunday after Martin Jol was sacked.

But Meulensteen - beaten 2-1 by Tottenham in his debut on Wednesday - is still waiting to see whether his post will be made any more permanent or if that will be judged on whether results improve.

Meulensteen is keen on the job and is already trying his best to turn things around after holding clear-the-air talks with star striker Dimitar Berbatov.

The Dutchman expects Berbatov, who he worked with at Old Trafford, to carry on playing despite his desire to leave in January.

Former England striker Darren Bent is also likely to be put on an intensive fitness programme to try to improve his sharpness.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-boss-rene-meulensteen-only-2894522#ixzz2mg05AN3s
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

January transfer window will be a crucial indicator of how Fulham see Rene Meulensteen's role in the long-term
Dutchman has not yet been named as the manager at Craven Cottage and the January transfer window could be the key to how his future at the club pans out

Rene Meulensteen must prove he can be Fulham's long-term successor to Martin Jol.

Fulham sacked Jol and put head coach Meulensteen in charge of first-team affairs after a run of awful results. But it is seen as significant that Meulensteen was not given the title of manager by Fulham owner Shahid Khan, who is not thought to have ruled out making another change if the current management structure does not work out.

That could involve looking for a director of football to work with Meulensteen or even hiring a new manager if Fulham cannot fight their way out of trouble.

Meulensteen's first game against Tottenham ended in defeat on Wednesday night, although there were more encouraging signs.

Fulham face Aston Villa on Sunday and are desperate to pick up three points that would boost their hopes of avoiding relegation.

Meulensteen's training and coaching methods have already gone down well with the players, but he has little management experience.

Khan and his allies are looking at several areas in which Fulham's squad could be improved to help results. They believe they hired one of the top coaches in Meulensteen and are now hoping he proves to be a similarly impressive boss.

An early test of how much power Meulensteen is allowed will be the January transfer window.

The Dutchman would like to raid his former club Manchester United for midfielder Anderson, who is also a target of Porto. But Fulham could revive their interest in Southampton's Jack Cork, who was almost signed in the summer.

Dimitar Berbatov's future may also be pivotal to Fulham's hopes of survival and Meulensteen's bid to remain in charge.

Striker Berbatov is keen to leave Fulham in the January transfer window, but that did not stop Meulensteen playing the Bulgarian against his former club Tottenham.

The pair are believed to have chatted ahead of the game and Berbatov promised to give his all and perform to the best of his ability until an offer is made for him.

Offloading Berbatov in January would save Fulham around £2 million in wages. But there is an acceptance among many of the coaching staff that, despite his sometimes questionable workrate and attitude, Berbatov could still be important to the club.

It would also be considered suicidal to let Berbatov join another club in the bottom half of the table such as West Ham, who have been alerted to the player's possible availability.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10499089/January-transfer-window-will-be-a-crucial-indicator-of-how-Fulham-see-Rene-Meulensteens-role-in-the-long-term.html

WhiteJC

Former Fulham striker wants slice of FA Cup action live on tv

RICHARD Peniket will be desperate to shake off an injury to ensure he gets his moment in the FA Cup spotlight.

The former Fulham man, who is hoping to overcome a dead leg ahead of the clash with Bristol City this Sunday, was suspended for the clash with Cheltenham Town last month, when the Lambs pulled off a famous win.

He said: "I just hope I can put myself forward for selection this time – it was a bit nerve-wracking to say the least having to watch on from the sidelines!

"It was horrible and I did not enjoy it. I really just wanted to be out there helping the lads.

"I was gutted to have to miss that match and I do not want to have to go through something like that again."

The match against Bristol City will once again see Tamworth entertain higher league opponents at The Lamb, and Peniket is sure that factor will play a part come Sunday afternoon.

He said: "I do not think they will be looking forward to coming here one little bit.

"It will be a great atmosphere in the ground and it will be intense for them.

"The TV cameras will be down here at the same time and I think that is added pressure for them.

"They do not want to get knocked out to a lower league team live on the television, but it is up to us to give those viewers the shock they are hopefully all tuning in for.

"I genuinely think we can do that.

"We have beaten a team in the league above so we will have to wait and see what the gap is like between us and a team who are two leagues above.

"We have got the players here to do it, we have a great squad now.

"I am just excited for the game."

Read more: http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Peniket-wants-slice-FA-Cup-action/story-20262189-detail/story.html#ixzz2mhNGqED4

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on Man Utd man as well as Southampton star Cork – report

Rene Meulensteen wants to sign Anderson from Manchester United and Fulham could revive their interest in Southampton midfielder Jack Cork, according to The Telegraph.

Meulensteen, who previously worked alongside Sir Alex Ferguson at United, has not been officially named as manager despite being put in charge of first-team affairs following Martin Jol's recent sacking.

That has led to speculation that Meulensteen could be joined by a director of football or even replaced with another manager.

The Daily Mirror say the Dutchman has been given no assurances by the club about his long-term future.

And the paper suggests former Chelsea man Roberto Di Matteo could yet end up at Craven Cottage.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/fulham-keen-on-man-utd-man-as-well-as-southampton-star-cork-report

WhiteJC

The FourFourTwo Preview: Fulham vs Aston Villa

Premier League | Craven Cottage | Sun 8 Dec | 1:30pm

Billed as
Rene Meulensteen's second crack at making his first week as Fulham's new manager a happy one.

The lowdown
Aston Villa's 3-2 win at Southampton snuck under the radar a tad, given it came on the same night as Everton's win at Old Trafford, but the result meant the Toffees are now the only team on a longer unbeaten run in the Premier League than Paul Lambert's side.

Villa haven't lost in five – their best league run in a year. That good form was well and truly killed off by an 8-0 gubbing at Chelsea, so it may be with some trepidation that they head back to west London this Sunday.

Fulham were much improved on Wednesday against Spurs, and although they're clearly still no Chelsea, they should prove sterner opposition than they would have done just two weeks ago.

The elevation of Meulensteen to the manager's job appeared to gee-up one or two members of the Fulham squad, with Dimitar Berbatov in particular looking at least somewhere nearer his old best.

While Fulham will have thoughts of a potential relegation scrap on their minds, Villa may be feeling a little more ambitious.
Now up to 10th, they could even overtake Man United this weekend if results go their way, with the champions visiting Villa Park seven days later.

Team news
Fulham will be unable to call on striker Darren Bent, who is ineligble given that he's on loan from Sunday's opposition. Brede Hangeland is a doubt with the back injury that ruled him out of Wednesday's defeat.

Villa have doubts over Joe Bennett (back) and Ron Vlaar (calf), while longer-term absentees Charles N'Zogbia (calf) and Jores Okore (knee) remain sidelined.

Key battle: Philippe Senderos vs Gabriel Agbonlahor
Senderos will be a key figure in Fulham's back-line, particularly if Hangeland doesn't return. The Swiss performed well against Spurs, making 4 blocks and 7 clearances. The fleet-footed Agbonlahor could cause him more problems - his goal at Southampton demonstrated his touch, pace and finishing in one swift movement.

The managers
Lambert made the bold decision of dropping Christian Benteke for Wednesday's match on the south coast and the move paid off, with Libor Kozak scoring Villa's second of the game.

Meuelensteen's decision to start Berbatov against Spurs, just hours after the Bulgarian's agent announcent the striker wanted to leave Craven Cottage, was equally brave. Unfortunately for the Dutchman, his star striker couldn't find the net, but did at least look interested enough to cause Spurs a few problems.

Facts and figures
Fulham have won just 1 of their last 8 Premier League games against Aston Villa (W1 D4 L3).
More facts at FFT's Fulham vs Aston Villa Stats Zone page

Tips and trends

Fulham haven't lost 6 league games in a row since Feb/Mar 2002 and have never gone on a 7-match losing streak in the Premier League era.
There have been more than 3 goals in all but one of their last 12 home fixtures against middle-third sides.
Fulham have the worst home record in the league recording just 1 win and a draw in their 7 games at Craven Cottage.
Aston Villa have been much better away (W3 D3 L1) than they have at home (W2 D1 L4) this season.
They have opened the scoring in 7 of their last 10 away fixtures against bottom-six clubs.
Only Everton (7) are on a longer unbeaten run than the Midlands club (5).

FourFourTwo prediction
Another improved showing from Fulham, but not enough to beat a confident Villa. 2-2.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwo-preview-fulham-vs-aston-villa#yXPKoIdRSpBtlk4g.99

WhiteJC

Hughes Feeling Confident

Aaron Hughes feels Fulham can take plenty of positives from Wednesday's clash with Tottenham Hotspur into Sunday's (1.30pm) home encounter with Aston Villa.

The Whites may have been defeated 2-1 by UEFA Champions League hopefuls Spurs at the Cottage but Rene Meulensteen's side turned in a much-improved display and would surely have taken all three points had it not been for visiting goalkeeper Hugo Lloris.

And Fulham centre-back Hughes believes Fulham's performance can put them in a confident frame of mind when they take on his former side Villa in SW6.

"I thought we were very unlucky not to get something against Spurs," he said. "There was a lot of energy in the performance but we were undone by two good strikes. We were disappointed with the result but felt we can take a lot of positives from our display."

The fixture with Spurs was Fulham's first under the guidance of Meulensteen, following Martin Jol's departure from the Club on Sunday.

Hughes admits the players felt a sense of responsibility for Jol's exit but admitted the squad hadn't had much chance to dwell on matters with two games in just five days.

"We couldn't do anything about it– we just had to try and turn a corner," said Hughes. "The Manager left but it was important for us not to be distracted and try to win the game.

"As players, we have to take responsibility. We expect better of ourselves and needed to lift our game. It's easy to point fingers and blame other people but we haven't done that – we've stuck together and gone out and put in a good performance. We're still fighting."

Hughes also had words of praise for Dimitar Berbatov who was back to his best on Wednesday night, leading the line, going close on several occasions and setting up Ashkan Dejagah for the opening goal.

"He was brilliant for us, not only on the ball but off it as well," added Hughes. "He didn't make it easy for the Spurs midfielders. He's a great player for us and you saw the contribution he made on Wednesday."

Tickets for Sunday's game with Aston Villa (1.30pm) are available to purchase on General Sale, with a 50 per cent discount available to Season Ticket Holders.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/06/hughes-feeling-confident?