watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So what's changed?

Started by Andy S, December 09, 2013, 10:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Now don't get me wrong as I have enjoyed the last couple of games the same as the rest of us. Meulensteen will not last forever anymore than Jol was going to. Lets be honest here 21 shots and 2 goals is a poor return. Especially with a dubious penalty from us and the one that wasn't from them. It shows that we could have finished yesterday with a draw which would certainly not have suited us.
So the medicine seems to be working for the time being! Everyone has their idea as to why yet the distance between winning and losing is as small as whether Sidwell scores from a tight angle or a referee awards them a penalty. Something a manager or coach has no say over.
OK we have taken it and we are ready to accept that changing the manager was the reason and we were all right in demanding this earlier.
Well we are going to need a lot more games like that and it is fair to say we are starting from a very poor position. I hope the optimism on here today continues to the end of the season and we stay up

Northern Cottager

The most pleasing parts of the game was the intent rather than the finishing. We had 21 shots and attempted to get forward more than we have done for ages, we also got denied by some great goalkeeping. Had a goalkeeper not been on their game yesterday we'd of had 5-6.

We also wouldn't of ended in a draw as they didn't look like scoring for 90 minutes. A couple of shots and that was it, very little threat going forward and that is a team that scored 3 on the break against a quick and solid Southampton side so we have lots to be optimistic about.

cottage cheese

Quote from: Andy S on December 09, 2013, 10:50:27 AM
Now don't get me wrong as I have enjoyed the last couple of games the same as the rest of us. Meulensteen will not last forever anymore than Jol was going to. Lets be honest here 21 shots and 2 goals is a poor return. Especially with a dubious penalty from us and the one that wasn't from them. It shows that we could have finished yesterday with a draw which would certainly not have suited us.
So the medicine seems to be working for the time being! Everyone has their idea as to why yet the distance between winning and losing is as small as whether Sidwell scores from a tight angle or a referee awards them a penalty. Something a manager or coach has no say over.
OK we have taken it and we are ready to accept that changing the manager was the reason and we were all right in demanding this earlier.
Well we are going to need a lot more games like that and it is fair to say we are starting from a very poor position. I hope the optimism on here today continues to the end of the season and we stay up

You sir have no idea what you are talking about... fp.gif

I suppose you forget to mention that Lloris for Spurs made I think 3 world class saves and Guzan made one fantastic save in the first half. Dont forget the ball was cleared off the line twice against villa....We have really changed our attack and its working.  The goals will come and I cannot wait. Yes the next game is against Everton which will be tough but if we play like we did against Villa in the games involving City, Norwich and Hull the goals will come.

K33NY

If it hadnt been for some good saves from Guzan last night, it could have been 4-0 not 2-0 only by looking at the spirit of the players out there I would say from the last 2 matches, ALOT has changed, like I posted in a different post yesterday, I saw a interview with Riise before match, where he was asked what has changed with RM in and Jol out, he stated that all the players has found theire fighting spirit, and that RM has brought in a positive atmosphere along the whole team, they want to fight, they want to win and they want to get clear from relegation. We are more offensive and work alot on being flexible (or something like that)

I would say with that statement I think ALOT has changed!

nose

What has changed?
The team is organised properly and everybody knows their job.
We are playing what seems to me 4 1 4 1 with proper wingers which allows us to stretch the opposition defence but remain compact when we lose it.
We have 11 polayers on the field who are totally committed and if they make errors, and they do, the rest of the team comes to their help and tries to win back the ball quickly.
We seem to have a proper plan and tactics, players running from deep and others trying to find them.
The manager seems to be bondinmg with the players trying to build a team spirit.

Pretty much everything jol didn't do.

The last time I saw this type of transformation was branfoot to Adams, the first game adams took charge it was like the darkness had lifted. We saw that V spurs. It is true we have made loads of chances but scored only three but the thing with stats is, the more chance you make the more likely you are to get one. we also restricted villa to very little. We got the rub of the green but we would have still won, vwe made villa look poor.
Maybe it won't last but rene at least seems to have the right idea. The next two are very tough, I will be happy if we really compete and give ech of them a good game.... however a few points would be better. I now feel we could get poits against everton and man city, but they are both very good teams, we may not. But with jol it was a case of how many we would lose by and when would the players give up. Now i am expecting them to lay down their lives for the team, so to speak.

In short the manager is the difference! It was obvious what needed to be done, maybe rene, the unproven manager is going to be the right man to help us fulfil my ambition!

Lighthouse

Northern Cottager is right that the intent is what is important. Yes we can go overboard because we actually had shots in the last two games. Something we have been starved of. So nobody is thinking we are saved from the drop. We have started from a poor position. But I think we can be pleased that should we go down we are at least going down fighting.

Look at any game and the final score could be so different if certain things had not happened or decisions were made that could have gone another way. The Spuds first goal for instance. A player jumping out of the way of the ball while standing infront of the goal in an offside position.

While we can let's enjoy the extra flair the team seems to have.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Slaphead in Qatar

2 things have changed:

1. Players are trying much harder. We are winning 50:50 balls. We are diving in with tackles and blocks. We have forward momentum, lot less passing back and sideways. Body language of players and manager is alot more aggressive.

2. We now seem to have a strategy and tactics and each player has been assigned a role. Under jol we were all over the place.

Fulhampete

Probably the same percentage of shots are going in but unlike with Jol we don't have to wait a month for 20 shots to arrive.

Jack Fulham

Nero

if we can create 20 chances a game we are likely to win

Ordar

Tactically the team seems to be set up totally different. We were really mixing things up alot more yesterday, even playing more direct (long) when it was needed. We were switching the play quickly from flank to flank very frequently. I cant remember us ever playing so many diagonal balls.

Having pace wide also helped alot, especially as neither winger kept cutting inside which I moaned about several times during Jol's tenure. Kaca and Dejagah need to work on their crossing though.

I thought the central 3 played really well. Dominated the MF and rotated who got forward extremely effectively. The driving runs from midfield, and arriving late in the box was dangerous and good to see.

I thought Senderos and especially Riise played extremely well, and was disappointed that Riise didnt score. When he plays like that he's such a threat offensively. He's a miles better LB than Richardson, and I'm glad he's back in the side.

Berbatov held the ball in superbly at times, and some of his touches and vision were a joy to watch. I thought he dropped slightly too deep second half but was good to see him smiling and encouraging our players throughout.

Another pleasing thing for me, is that for the first time in a long time I wasnt terrified of the opposition getting a FK or corner. We seem much better organised from set plays.

Was really good to see us totally dominate a side. Villa had no idea how to handle us and we coped with their counter attack extremely well I thought. We have 2 tough games coming up where I'm not expecting any points, so anything will be a bonus.

grandad

We can all see what has changed over the last 2 games but I am looking at what will have to change in the near future. Our veteran heroes of the present squad cannot last too much longer.
Riise, Hangeland, Parker, Sidwell, Berbatov, Duff & Karagounis cannot be expected to play at their current level for ever. Replacements will have to be found soon. Not many of those mentioned will be found from within so it is a reality that substantial investment will have to be made once our Premiership status has been secured.
Where there's a will there's a wife

JBH

Quote from: Ordar on December 09, 2013, 12:12:51 PM
Tactically the team seems to be set up totally different. We were really mixing things up alot more yesterday, even playing more direct (long) when it was needed. We were switching the play quickly from flank to flank very frequently. I cant remember us ever playing so many diagonal balls.

Having pace wide also helped alot, especially as neither winger kept cutting inside which I moaned about several times during Jol's tenure. Kaca and Dejagah need to work on their crossing though.

I thought the central 3 played really well. Dominated the MF and rotated who got forward extremely effectively. The driving runs from midfield, and arriving late in the box was dangerous and good to see.

I thought Senderos and especially Riise played extremely well, and was disappointed that Riise didnt score. When he plays like that he's such a threat offensively. He's a miles better RB than Richardson, and I'm glad he's back in the side.

Berbatov held the ball in superbly at times, and some of his touches and vision were a joy to watch. I thought he dropped slightly too deep second half but was good to see him smiling and encouraging our players throughout.

Another pleasing thing for me, is that for the first time in a long time I wasnt terrified of the opposition getting a FK or corner. We seem much better organised from set plays.

Was really good to see us totally dominate a side. Villa had no idea how to handle us and we coped with their counter attack extremely well I thought. We have 2 tough games coming up where I'm not expecting any points, so anything will be a bonus.

Good points but Riise is a Left Back who played at left Back yeasterday

PokerMatt

Ordar's first point RE the switching of play was one thing that really stood out to me as well.

With Berbatov playing as a false nine (if you look at the heat map you can see he was deeper than both Kaca and Jaga) and just the one holding midfielder it meant that there were enough bodies in the middle that the wingers could stay wide.

They had so much space at times and the pinged diagonal passes are probably a side-effect of that. Everything was so cramped before, but now instead of going back to the keeper there was an option on either flank to change the direction of the attack. An incredibly simple change, but so effective.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Andy S

With respect Northern Cottager is wrong. The score was 2- 0 and only 1 goal and a couple of debateable decisions between us. Effort looks good but it is not always fruitful. We all hope it will become more than that but at the minute that is it. Well done to the lads for yesterday anyway and remember when Lady Luck is not with you all the effort in the world doesn't matter. Look at Sunderland at the start of the season and then look at West Brom and Cardiff at home. Bad defending as well as bad luck caught us in those games. Some for some against

EJL

Quote from: Nero on December 09, 2013, 12:12:43 PM
if we can create 20 chances a game we are likely to win
Unless it's Liverpool. They sometimes create nearly 30 chances and come away with a loss.

Huxley

Just my view, don't kill me...

1) CMs: The CMs Sidwell and Parker were playing too deep. Having KaraG play more advanced, but also defending in this more forward position has created a lot of room for us, and put us less under pressure.

2) Width and overlaping full backs: Having PArker or Sidwell park themselves in front of the back 4 in a Makalele role, has allowed the full backs to move forward. So there is always a wide option, even if the wingers drift in.

3) Pressing defence as a team: Finally see mistakes being created by the opposition due to pressing.

4) Switching the side of attack quickly and attacking to the bi-line due to the room created.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: TheGreatGatsby on December 09, 2013, 01:37:26 PM
Just my view, don't kill me...

1) CMs: The CMs Sidwell and Parker were playing too deep. Having KaraG play more advanced, but also defending in this more forward position has created a lot of room for us, and put us less under pressure.

2) Width and overlaping full backs: Having PArker or Sidwell park themselves in front of the back 4 in a Makalele role, has allowed the full backs to move forward. So there is always a wide option, even if the wingers drift in.

3) Pressing defence as a team: Finally see mistakes being created by the opposition due to pressing.

4) Switching the side of attack quickly and attacking to the bi-line due to the room created.

I think you can add a 5th to that: Playing far more directly. We definitely aren't playing route one football, but were are advancing the ball at a much greater rate than we were under Jol. We aren't allowing defenses time to set themselves. And, when they are set, like you say, we're drawing them in on one side of the field and then quickly switching the point of attack.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

LBNo11

...so what's changed? We are playing football again and are 100 times better to watch...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

bog