more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riether interview in SPOX.com, German sport site

Started by YoungsBitter, December 12, 2013, 10:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungsBitter

This was in Spox on Tuesday, apologies if been discussed before:
http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/international/england/1312/Artikel/sascha-riether-interview-fc-fulham-london-leben-foul-januzaj-premier-league-craven-cottage-schuerrle-podolski-holtby.html
Here is my amended Google translation, apologies to German speakers if I have misinterpreted but think have the essence:
Quote:
Sascha Riether is since his move to Fulham a vital part in the team of Rene Meulensteen. The former Cologne player talks about life in the metropolis of London, the German trend in the Premier League and his fascination for darts.

SPOX : Mr. Riether , you have played for about one and a half years for Fulham and now reside in London. How hard was the conversion to city life ?
Sascha Riether : It was a huge step abroad and then also in this great city . But I have rightly found my place quickly and never regretted the step for a second. I live just outside the south, not far from the training ground located in Wimbledon, because the distances in London are incredibly misleading and travel eats a lot of time .
SPOX: The German national team has moved to using the London subway to get to the final training sessions at Wembley . You use the Tube?
Riether : From time to time but I 'm mostly traveling by car . If you know the way sometimes or you can find your way. But of course there are many parts of London in which I am not familiar.
SPOX : There are a lot of German players at the London clubs. What is the level of contact amongst you?
Riether : We all know each other from the Bundesliga or the national team. The closest contact I have is with Lukas Podolski and Lewis Holtby , with Andre Schurrle I also hooked up the other day . But when I go out with Poldi or Lewis, I have to plan ahead, that's really brutal. Both live on the other side of town. Therefore, mostly Central London is the meeting place , there we go to a restaurant.
SPOX: In Germany you guys would be recognized as a league or national team player almost everywhere. How is it in London?
Riether : From time to time one is recognized , but London is a celebrity city , since there are so many actors, musicians and other famous people , because of that you 're left rather alone. If you were with Poldi in Cologne or out somewhere in Germany, the madness brakes loose.
SPOX Do you use your off time for sightseeing or other diversions in London?
Riether : I am happy that I have to do no more sightseeing. (laughs ) How often did I find myself driving around, in the beginning, in one of those red buses and the whole tour deal was madness. Everyone who came to visit me for the first time in London wanted the tour, see the most important sights and so we would catch the bus tours around London. Thankfully that's behind me.
SPOX: Have you got discovered a favorite place for yourself?
Riether : There are so many beautiful places in this city where you can enjoy life. I like going to restaurants and I'm happy to do Oxford Street for shopping. Now the Christmas shopping hell is going on. At Harrods , they literally cram people through the doors at Christmas, that's incredible . That's an experience!
SPOX: On  your Twitter, you have been seeing a lot of the competition at their football stadiums.
Riether : That's the advantage here , there are so many clubs in London, there's always something going on. Arsenal and Chelsea play Champions League , Tottenham playing in the Europa League , also I can also go to other games of the Premier League.
SPOX: You don't just do football. Also from the World Darts Championship you have photos posted .
Riether : That was a highlight. I have always pursued darts already in Germany and watched the World Cup in the Christmas season. When I then came to London , it was clear that I have to go there to see it in real life. So I 'm with a couple of guys from Fulham in the Alexandra Palace . It was one big party and a fantastic atmosphere. We were at the two semi-finals when Michael van Gerwen has thrown his 17 perfect darts. The first nine-darter I even saw was on video. But of course extremely blurred, because it lacked the light in the hall. Simply huge to see it! I want to go back this year.
SPOX : There was a lot of bad noise for you with negative headlines because of the blow to Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj . You have apologized via Twitter, there were also direct contact with Januzaj ?
Riether : No, there was no direct contact. It is a fact that I've overdone it in this challenge . That was a mistake, a blackout. For that I am punished and been blocked three games . I hope that the thing is done. I'm not a bully. I have in my entire life never seen a red card, in the ten games so far this season only one yellow .
SPOX: Bad times for you especially together with the bad start to the season?
Riether: If things do not work out , sometimes you go through the black emotions with that. I cannot let that happen to me, of course, and I learned from it .
SPOX: Why are things this season at Fulham so tough?
Riether : We had a tough starting program . With the victories against Crystal Palace and Stoke we had thought that we had turned the corner . But then we lost two away games and then just Manchester United came to us and hurt us, and against them one can sometimes lose . There are many good teams in the league. Just take a look at Southampton, who are the surprise of the season , but have spent 40 million euros for new additions to the summer. Although Fulham also has money to spend, and very much still belongs in the Premier League but as one of the little ones and that's why we fight every season about staying in the league or finish in the top ten.
SPOX : Is the Premier League top tier more difficult than in the Bundesliga ?
Riether : In Germany there are at the top Bayern and Dortmund and the rest follows by far margin . In England, Arsenal , Chelsea, Man United , Manchester City , Liverpool, Tottenham are all known internationally . But now I have listed only a few teams that have a huge amount of money available and insanely good players. Smaller teams find it difficult with this competition to do well .
SPOX: What impressed you most in the Premier League?
Riether : On Liverpool and Anfield I've always been curious. It was an impressive moment to go out as a player and listen to "You'll never walk alone" . But even more for me the mutual respect between fans and players was impressive, which is even higher than in Germany . In Liverpool, we got out the first team to warm up and the entire stadium applauded. I thought , I 'm in the wrong movie. For 90 minutes you're an opponent of the enemy. But before and after they pay you respect. The fans reward the effort, even if you lose in the end.
SPOX: That suits your playing style .
Riether : The fans like me because I always give 100 percent. They can depend on me quite well.
SPOX: How do you like the atmosphere in the venerable Craven Cottage?
Riether : The games at Craven Cottage are an experience. It cannot compare with the stadiums in Germany, where everything is new and high tech . Here many stadiums are a bit older, smaller and more traditional. This brings a special flair.

SPOX: The trend in the Premier League seems to be increasingly more Germans. What is it that is special between the English and German players ?
Riether : The English have great respect for German football. The players who play in the Premier League, do a good job and the Champions League final between Bayern and Dortmund has also left its impression. I think that soon a few more Germans will be added on the island. I can only say to everyone : In England , it is not always so strict as in Germany .
SPOX: In what way is it not always so strict?
Riether : In Germany everything is strict, in England it is more easygoing . Be it at work or in the home. If you have a phone call in Germany from a work colleague at home, it's a big deal, here everyone calls each other when you feel like it . In Germany everyone has to be on time, here someone is three minutes late, the other guys five , and it is no big deal . Sometimes one feels that's funny because you are still German in your thinking. But it still all works and when the referee blows his whistle, everyone gives it full throttle.
SPOX: In England it is supposed to go a little looser also at Team evenings ...
Riether : Overall more is done with the team in Germany, and there are often times a team evening event. At least in Fulham everything is a bit more distant. We always go at Christmas time get together , but then right ... ( laughs)
SPOX : There is also this Harlem -shake video in which you can see with floating tire and swimming cap . How did that come about ?
Riether : This was a super hilarious thing . After a day we had two million clicks , the people around the world had evidently fallen for it. The English teams have brought all the stuff and we then picked out something . It was really fun to see your colleagues in the costumes.
SPOX: Where you can also be seen in an unusual outfit , is the famous picture of Mesut Özil with Chancellor Angela Merkel after the match against Turkey in 2010.
Riether : We were in the shower and then it was : the Chancellor comes . We then all the more quickly jumped out and hoping that the towel does not slip. The Chancellor then talked briefly with each of us and congratulated us . It was nice .
SPOX : Your last match for Germany you played was in 2010. But Germany currently has no classical right-back except Philipp Lahm and he has lately been used more and more in the midfield. Do you hope you for a recall?

Riether : There has been since my last international match no contact with the national coach . I was then unfortunately injured and other players have emerged in this period. But I 'm also not thinking about it so no pressure. I've always done well with giving my full effort in the club game and then see what happens. So far that has worked quite well in Fulham. The fans have voted me player of the season and I was in all sorts of top 11 selections. Here in England I have earned a good name. But you have to also say that the quality of the German national team is already huge, and I am no longer the youngest.
SPOX: A return to Germany might increase your chances . Before the season, a move to Schalke was talking, but you finally extended at Fulham .
Riether : We had discussions with Schalke , the Champions League would not have been bad, but then it has not worked. I also feel very comfortable in Fulham so I extended my contract . The football in the Premier League I like, it's fun.
SPOX: A return to Germany but is still conceivable ?
Riether : Clear. I am now a veteran of twelve years, and want to play as long as the body allows. But currently I am satisfied in Fulham .
SPOX: How often are you still in Germany ?
Riether : I am in Cologne from time to time or at home with my parents. The distance is not so tragic. The way to the airport usually takes longer than the actual flight. Even the German football , I follow exactly , especially my former clubs.
SPOX : There is some disappointment in this season all there.
Riether : That's right . Cologne will probably rise . Wolfsburg has made to the playoff slots. Freiburg has a hangover, but it was clear that it would be a difficult season .
SPOX: Freiburg has taken an amazing development as a whole under Christian Streich . He was also your youth coach, he is a cool guy?
Riether : He's very down to earth, typical of Freiburg , but a meticulous worker . He works 24 hours, he is so focused on the success and always wants to get the best from each . Even the youth players who did not make it into professional football , all say that he is one of the best coaches they ever had . I have very good relationship with him, we also always meet after the season . And when I'm in Freiburg , I go to training and then we drink a coffee together and catch up .
SPOX : Have you given him credit for your jump into professional football ?
Riether: I 've always given him credit for that, and was surprised that the SC Freiburg has not tried him as Manager before. He has huge potential. The question of whether he grabs the switch from junior to professional football, he answered brilliantly. It comes with its nature good and stays true. The most important thing is that he does a great job. When you see how many young players he always brings out, this performance is remarkable given the opportunities.
Unquote
Quark, strangeness and charm

Ichabod Magoo

If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

YoungsBitter

3 things I took from it: 1. he nearly left for Schalke although he does like being in London, which would have been criminal so McIntosh got that one right; 2. teams like Fulham don't hang out as a group as much as in Germany, which shows on the field sometimes; 3. he was playing for Germany in 2010 yet considers himself too old now at 30...

Berserker

He should go and see Henning Wehn's Christmas do at Leicester Sq theatre,  that would make him laugh.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

leonffc

Quote from: YoungsBitter on December 12, 2013, 11:09:58 PM
3 things I took from it: 1. he nearly left for Schalke although he does like being in London, which would have been criminal so McIntosh got that one right; 2. teams like Fulham don't hang out as a group as much as in Germany, which shows on the field sometimes; 3. he was playing for Germany in 2010 yet considers himself too old now at 30...

Yep, I picked up on those. And...
4. Craven cottage is ummmm, different to what he's used to

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: Holders on December 13, 2013, 07:57:58 AM
Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on December 12, 2013, 11:03:14 PM
Great stuff ... nice job with the translation.

Isn't Google a wonderful thing!

Certainly is.  Now I can speak Français, Deutsch, and Italiano without understanding hardly a word.   :yay:

If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on December 13, 2013, 06:26:03 PM

Certainly is.  Now I can speak Français, Deutsch, and Italiano without understanding hardly a word.   :yay:

But can you beatbox in German?

YoungsBitter

:021:

Well just try and see what Google gives you from the original article and what I posted and you will see its a pretty good thing, its not exactly wonderful.... :021: