https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sascha Reither just tweeted this

Started by BigNigeBowds, December 19, 2013, 02:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 04:46:12 PM

He had one good season... just one...

I am far from convinced that a cameo return from this fine former player would be ideal for us, but I am mightily confused about the 'one good season'. Would that be the one in which he tied our best ever PL goal tally? Or the next one in which he went four better?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 19, 2013, 02:52:55 PM
Quote from: jonasr91 on December 19, 2013, 02:48:32 PM
Wonder how the club feel about Riether allways outing them first on news like this. Not the first time Riether has been the first to welcome a new player to the cottage :P

And parading around in the oppositions shirt, looking happy about it, after being embarrassingly spanked.   

You're always so negative in every view you take that it is sort of funny. What would a forum be without a pessimist though?

nose

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on December 19, 2013, 06:58:28 PM
or the Europa League games,

yes not roy's first choice.. he came on a did well when zamora was injured but roy prefered an injured bobby zamora to a fully fit clint dempsey, let's see our most succesful manager didn't have dempsey in his first 11 what is hard to comprehend about that.

nose

Quote from: cmg on December 19, 2013, 06:48:28 PM

I am far from convinced that a cameo return from this fine former player would be ideal for us, but I am mightily confused about the 'one good season'. Would that be the one in which he tied our best ever PL goal tally? Or the next one in which he went four better?

it was his lkast season when he learned to pass the ball to team mates rather than shoot wildly from any distance and the season he got into the box far more often and the last season when he stopped pretending to be a superstar so stopped doing stupid step overs, back heels and fancy dan tricks, none of which he was capable. Yes his last season when he finally played as part of the team, but he still didn't properly do the defensive part of the game, but if you score enough that is less important.

Yes Just one good season.

he was a vastly overated player by many on message boards, especially those who only watch the game on the box.... but live you could see his was never all that.

Axctually i have to say i met him and he was a thoroughly lovely decent man.

I hope if he comes back he does well, but he does not strike me as somebody rene will like that much because of his lack of work rate. we shall see.

MasterHaynes

Not sure why the club is not announcing it if true. I imagine if he is coming for only 2 months needs to hit the ground running, he must already be in training with the squad. He hasn't played or trained properly since the end of October so needs to regain match fitness and will also need to become familiar with Rene's system if he is to play his part and gave a real impact. As with the Liverpool interest guarantee our new american owner is hoping to get airtime and shirt sales back in the states on the back of the deal. Sometimes the clubs hesitancy in announcing things is annoying, if he is seen at Motspur in the next week before they announce the press will be all over it anyway.

hovewhite

2months ,if it takes 4 games to gt match fit it will have to be a qiuck temperary fix,and don't believe its the solotion we need.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Berserker on December 19, 2013, 02:31:20 PM
If this happens I will think I have died and gone to heaven

Can I have your seats then?

BarryP

Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 07:47:06 PM

yes not roy's first choice.. he came on a did well when zamora was injured but roy prefered an injured bobby zamora to a fully fit clint dempsey, let's see our most succesful manager didn't have dempsey in his first 11 what is hard to comprehend about that.

Only the facts nose.  

In 2008-2009 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 41 of Fulham's 45 matches with 33 starts and 8 substitute appearances. He was Fulham's second leading goal scorer in all competitions behind Andy Johnson. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Murphy and Konchesky played in more matches than Dempsey.

In 2009-2010 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 36 of Fulham's 53 matches with 30 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He was  tied as Fulham's third leading goal scorer in all competitions. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Zamora, Duff and Gera played in more matches than Dempsey.

To say he was never in Hodson's 11 is a factual mistatement. To say he only had one good season is also quite a stretch in my assessment. It is your opinion and you're entitled to it but if I recall correctly he was voted Fulham Player of the Year twice so my guess is you are pretty much in the monority on that front.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Riversider

Dempsey can Makepeace.  :005:

Every team that has ever escaped the drop has always contained a couple of players that are prepared to roll up their sleeves and fight for the cause , prepared to put their head in where it hurts, how many current players do we have that fit that description ?
When was the last time a Fulham player was interviewed after the game sporting a black eye ? Clint Dempsey had one all the time whilest he was at Fulham !
Looks like his last game will be Chelsea at home , the stage is being set it seems !
049:gif  :merry christmas:  049:gif

twang

Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 07:52:07 PM

it was his lkast season when he learned to pass the ball to team mates rather than shoot wildly from any distance and the season he got into the box far more often and the last season when he stopped pretending to be a superstar so stopped doing stupid step overs, back heels and fancy dan tricks, none of which he was capable. Yes his last season when he finally played as part of the team, but he still didn't properly do the defensive part of the game, but if you score enough that is less important.

he was a vastly overated player by many on message boards, especially those who only watch the game on the box.... but live you could see his was never all that.

I hope if he comes back he does well, but he does not strike me as somebody rene will like that much because of his lack of work rate. we shall see.

That must be the biggest load of crap I've read for quite some time.

nose

Quote from: BarryP on December 19, 2013, 09:35:41 PM

Only the facts nose. 

In 2008-2009 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 41 of Fulham's 45 matches with 33 starts and 8 substitute appearances. He was Fulham's second leading goal scorer in all competitions behind Andy Johnson. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Murphy and Konchesky played in more matches than Dempsey.

In 2009-2010 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 36 of Fulham's 53 matches with 30 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He was  tied as Fulham's third leading goal scorer in all competitions. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Zamora, Duff and Gera played in more matches than Dempsey.

To say he was never in Hodson's 11 is a factual mistatement. To say he only had one good season is also quite a stretch in my assessment. It is your opinion and you're entitled to it but if I recall correctly he was voted Fulham Player of the Year twice so my guess is you are pretty much in the monority on that front.

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
pantsil hughes hanger konch
duff murf dixon simon davis
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact
in the key juve and hamburg games, roy prefered an injured zamora to clint dempsey
in fact i recall thinking clint should have started both those games for the reason that bobby was unfit but particulalrly against juve roy knew clint would not try hard enough for 90 minutes  and actually only came on after 71 minutes to score his wonder goal. He was the substitute, not the starter.

he played as much as he did through necesity not because he was first choice under roy, that is the fact. clint would play wide midfield or make shift centre forward, a good squad player who got lucky with the number of appearances. If you went to portsmouth like i did on that hot day and saw 10 players flog themselves to death for the team, fight for every ball it was amazing. but a few of us noticed clint barely raised a sweat, he was lazy and rarely looked interested, that is the fact.

he was voted player of the season twice, so I am in a minority, so what?  and people told me up until a few weeks ago Jol was a great manager that needed time and they did for two and a half years, i was also in a minority auntil people woke up,  as they say you can fool some of the people all of the time, but not me, not about the mighty clint, he was a very overated player. I prefer my own realistic memory of the man. He played well for one full season only.

What i said at the start was I am not sure rene's apparent style will suit clint's lazy style. we shall see. if he is really coming back, and whatever else we agree or disagree about i am never sure that is a good idea,  i do hope it works out well. as i say i met him and really liked him personally.

nose

Quote from: twang on December 19, 2013, 10:35:26 PM
Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 07:52:07 PM

That must be the biggest load of crap I've read for quite some time.

wow, that was incisive, perhaps you never get to a game, Did you ever actuyally see clint play week on week like i did, were you at portsmouth and see his completely lame efforts to help? check my reply above to refresh your mmemory about roy's first team preference, he wasn't roy's first choice either.

and please refrain from bad language, if you need to make a point, at least try and back it up like some others have done.

BarryP

Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 10:53:21 PM

Only the facts nose. 

In 2009-2010 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 36 of Fulham's 53 matches with 30 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He was  tied as Fulham's third leading goal scorer in all competitions. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Zamora, Duff and Gera played in more matches than Dempsey.

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact
in the key juve and hamburg games, roy prefered an injured zamora to clint dempsey
in fact i recall thinking clint should have started both those games for the reason that bobby was unfit but particulalrly against juve roy knew clint would not try hard enough for 90 minutes  and actually only came on after 71 minutes to score his wonder goal. He was the substitute, not the starter.

he played as much as he did through necesity not because he was first choice under roy, that is the fact. clint would play wide midfield or make shift centre forward, a good squad player who got lucky with the number of appearances. If you went to portsmouth like i did on that hot day and saw 10 players flog themselves to death for the team, fight for every ball it was amazing. but a few of us noticed clint barely raised a sweat, he was lazy and rarely looked interested, that is the fact.

he was voted player of the season twice, so I am in a minority, so what?  and people told me up until a few weeks ago Jol was a great manager that needed time and they did for two and a half years, i was also in a minority auntil people woke up,  as they say you can fool some of the people all of the time, but not me, not about the mighty clint, he was a very overated player. I prefer my own realistic memory of the man. He played well for one full season only.

What i said at the start was I am not sure rene's apparent style will suit clint's lazy style. we shall see. if he is really coming back, and whatever else we agree or disagree about i am never sure that is a good idea,  i do hope it works out well. as i say i met him and really liked him personally.

Glad you had that first hand chat with Roy so he could tell you a player that started over 73% of the matches one season and over 56% of the total matches (over 71% of the Premier League matches) the next was not one of his first choice players.  You just hold onto that for all your worth.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Sheepskin Junior

Just adding my two cents, whether or not he started under Hodgson is irrelevant to his playing under Rene. The way I see it is we're signing a new player, a different player. Yes, I was one to have a go for the way it was reported he left. That, in hindsight, was perhaps out of frustration and with little to no facts. I will welcome him back and hopefully get to a game to hear the Hammy end all sing for him. A new start. Lovely bloke
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

nose

Quote from: BarryP on December 19, 2013, 11:04:49 PM

Only the facts nose.  

In 2009-2010 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 36 of Fulham's 53 matches with 30 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He was  tied as Fulham's third leading goal scorer in all competitions. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Zamora, Duff and Gera played in more matches than Dempsey.

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact
in fact i recall thinking clint should have started both those games for the reason that bobby was unfit but particulalrly against juve roy knew clint would not try hard enough for 90 minutes  and actually only came on after 71 minutes to score his wonder goal. He was the substitute, not the starter.

he was voted player of the season twice, so I am in a minority, so what?  and people told me up until a few weeks ago Jol was a great manager that needed time and they did for two and a half years, i was also in a minority auntil people woke up,  as they say you can fool some of the people all of the time, but not me, not about the mighty clint, he was a very overated player. I prefer my own realistic memory of the man. He played well for one full season only.

What i said at the start was I am not sure rene's apparent style will suit clint's lazy style. we shall see. if he is really coming back, and whatever else we agree or disagree about i am never sure that is a good idea,  i do hope it works out well. as i say i met him and really liked him personally.

Glad you had that first hand chat with Roy so he could tell you a player that started over 73% of the matches one season and over 56% of the total matches (over 71% of the Premier League matches) the next was not one of his first choice players.  You just hold onto that for all your worth.

yes, thank you i will. if you check the injuries we had clint was the main cover for zamora various injuries that plagued him in the 2009-2010 season and subsequently, sd and duff... check out who roy picked when he had a fully fit squad, who he picked when we played hamburg and A Madrid. Clint was substitute, if he was roy's first choice he would have started the semi finals and final... or did I imagine that, he prefered a half fit bobby to clint dempsey, that tells you all you need to know, surely you can see that?

Honestly i am not been argumentative for the sake of it, what I am telling you is the actual case, check who was available, and when they all everyone was fit , clint dropped to the bench, that is the absolute fact, he was never roy's first choice, and if you want to believe otherwise that is fine. But I assure you your misuse of statistics changes nothing.

And.... I have just noticed you live in the USA, so I have to assume you have never seen clint play more than one or two games in the flesh, therefore haven't seen quite how lazy he actually is and this is just the continuation of a long history of discussions I have had with TV fans over the years. I always give way to people that attend matches because they see so much more. And I go to all home games and a few away ones when I can.

nose

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on December 19, 2013, 11:24:17 PM
Just adding my two cents, whether or not he started under Hodgson is irrelevant to his playing under Rene. The way I see it is we're signing a new player, a different player. Yes, I was one to have a go for the way it was reported he left. That, in hindsight, was perhaps out of frustration and with little to no facts. I will welcome him back and hopefully get to a game to hear the Hammy end all sing for him. A new start. Lovely bloke

he is a lovely bloke and despite anythin else i have said if he comes i wish him well!

Victor Meldrew

Let's be honest, he's hardly going to make a massive impact in 2 month. People are talking like he's signed for the rest of the season, he hasn't. However... I must admit, this signing makes complete sense for 2 reason. No.1, this is definitely a 'feel good' factor signing for both the club and fans. By bringing backing back an all time favorite, I think the club has finally realised what a state it was in, and are trying to lift the mood. No.2, Clint is always an 'option' which we've lacked all season. When the chips are down and we've not had a shot on target, up pops Dempsey.   

LordNelson

Only the facts nose. 

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact

The more you type, the more you beclown yourself.  Dempsey had been injured for quite a while prior to the Juve match, which is why he didn't start.  You can have your goofy opinions, but now you're just making crap up.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

PhilaFFC

Only the facts nose. 

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact

Dempsey mostly came off the bench to begin 08/09  and started his 2nd PL match of the season in mid  November '08.

He was then picked to start every PL match until Stoke Away midweek at the beginning of January '10. Something like 47 straight matches.

He scored off the bench in that match and hurt his knee the next match against Blackburn. He missed two months before coming back for the first leg vs. Juve. The second leg was only his third match back. Hodgson had began rotating the squad for the EL way back in November and chose not to make changes to the lineup that had been playing so well. CD finished the year coming off the bench in EL games and starting PL games while worked to regain his fitness and form.

How can you say he wasn't ever in Woy's 11 if he picked him to start 47 straight PL matches.

Also, your "Hodgson's preferred 11" has 12 players.