watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sascha Reither just tweeted this

Started by BigNigeBowds, December 19, 2013, 02:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

If you read this thread and still don't understand why I, among others, don't want any more Yanks at Fulham, your not paying attention. Being the leading scorer, a significant threat in the air on both ends of the pitch, a constant scrapper and drawing more fouls than anyone else count for nothing to some. Guess he has to be a combo of Messi & Kompany to be rated, or he could simply change his birthplace.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu right !!!  Sascha  arrived on 6th July 2012  and the lad from Nacogdoches left ....................
well,  we all know when he left and he wasn't training with the first team

and we are expected to believe that over a couple of week they became big pals ???

KingstonWhite

There was a TEAM who had  A son of Texas.  This son said to his Fulham, give me my share of the estate.' So Mo divided his property.

"Not long after that, the son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his career in wild living.  After he had spent everything, there was a severe GOAL famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.  So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to PLAY AT A LOW LEVEL.  He longed to fill his stomach with the goals that the Fulham fans loved him for, but no one gave him anything.

"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my fulham's hired servants have goals to spare, and here I am starving to death!  I will set out and go back to my fulham and say to them Fulham, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.  So he got up and went to his fulham.

"But while he was still a long way off, his fulham saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

"The son said to  'Fulham, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

But Mr Khan said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.  Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate.  For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.'  092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif

fulhams_finest

Quote from: PokerMatt on December 19, 2013, 02:59:41 PM
Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 19, 2013, 02:57:23 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on December 19, 2013, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 19, 2013, 02:52:55 PM
Quote from: jonasr91 on December 19, 2013, 02:48:32 PM
Wonder how the club feel about Riether allways outing them first on news like this. Not the first time Riether has been the first to welcome a new player to the cottage :P

And parading around in the oppositions shirt, looking happy about it, after being embarrassingly spanked.  

People need to get over this.

Players need to start having respect, something that we massively lacked when Jol was here. Danny Murphy, as captain, would never have allowed this.  

I'm seeing plenty of respect and commitment. Jol's not here any more, remember.

I've got greater concerns about the players than whether they swap a shirt after a game or not.
How about players refusing to play then cos that's what silly Dempsey did - if you all forgot

fulhams_finest

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 20, 2013, 01:08:25 AM
If you read this thread and still don't understand why I, among others, don't want any more Yanks at Fulham, your not paying attention. Being the leading scorer, a significant threat in the air on both ends of the pitch, a constant scrapper and drawing more fouls than anyone else count for nothing to some. Guess he has to be a combo of Messi & Kompany to be rated, or he could simply change his birthplace.
Don't forget the great season he had last year...oh wait

fulhams_finest

To finish my final rant about this - have we not learnt through this summers signings that aging players that were good don't remain as good as they were

Max Headroom

Dempsey was honest  as to what he wanted

Dembele wasn't and left us in more of a mess leaving by surprise on the last day of the window.

What is wrong with having high aspirations.

Let's drop the giving him grief. If he comes back I think it is a tacit apology, and am sure there were other underlying issues.....

DJinNJ

Unfortunately Barry, I think your stats are off, since I know we definitely had more than 53 games in 2009-10. However, your point still stands. I've just counted 38 PL, 19 EL, 1 League Cup, 5 FA Cup=63 games. However, Dempsey also had more than 36 games. By my count from the below link, he had 27 starts in 29 appearancess in the league; 6 starts in 13 appearances in Europa (3 of the starts were in the qualifying round); and 1 start in 2 appearances in the FA Cup. So a total of 34 starts in 44 appearances. However, he had no appearances between January 17 and March 11. I honestly don't recall, but I think it's safe to say he was injured. In that time we had 7 PL games, so that accounts for the majority of the games he didn't start. So yes, he was most definitely a regular starter in the league that year.

The way I remember it, Gera was his primary competition. The fact that an injured Zamora was picked over him is neither here nor there, since Dempsey was not and is not a center forward. The choice in the final was between injured and out of position, not injured and uninjured. Yes, Gera was picked over him in the final as he was for most of the Europa League, but to say Hodgson didn't rate him because of that is absurd considering how much more Dempsey played in the Premier League, and that Dempsey got significant minutes as a sub in Europe.

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/39928/clinton-dempsey?cc=5901

WolverineFFC

Quote from: DJinNJ on December 20, 2013, 02:29:41 AM
Unfortunately Barry, I think your stats are off, since I know we definitely had more than 53 games in 2009-10. However, your point still stands. I've just counted 38 PL, 19 EL, 1 League Cup, 5 FA Cup=63 games. However, Dempsey also had more than 36 games. By my count from the below link, he had 27 starts in 29 appearancess in the league; 6 starts in 13 appearances in Europa (3 of the starts were in the qualifying round); and 1 start in 2 appearances in the FA Cup. So a total of 34 starts in 44 appearances. However, he had no appearances between January 17 and March 11. I honestly don't recall, but I think it's safe to say he was injured. In that time we had 7 PL games, so that accounts for the majority of the games he didn't start. So yes, he was most definitely a regular starter in the league that year.

The way I remember it, Gera was his primary competition. The fact that an injured Zamora was picked over him is neither here nor there, since Dempsey was not and is not a center forward. The choice in the final was between injured and out of position, not injured and uninjured. Yes, Gera was picked over him in the final as he was for most of the Europa League, but to say Hodgson didn't rate him because of that is absurd considering how much more Dempsey played in the Premier League, and that Dempsey got significant minutes as a sub in Europe.

The missing time you are wondering about between Jan and March was when he was out with a blown PCL.

Holders

Quote from: Riversider on December 19, 2013, 10:24:59 PM
Dempsey can Makepeace.  :005:

Every team that has ever escaped the drop has always contained a couple of players that are prepared to roll up their sleeves and fight for the cause , prepared to put their head in where it hurts, how many current players do we have that fit that description ?
When was the last time a Fulham player was interviewed after the game sporting a black eye ? Clint Dempsey had one all the time whilest he was at Fulham !
Looks like his last game will be Chelsea at home , the stage is being set it seems !
049:gif  :merry christmas:  049:gif

...for a decisive cameo penalty miss, perhaps!?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

Quote from: Max Headroom on December 20, 2013, 02:05:54 AM
Dempsey was honest  as to what he wanted

Dembele wasn't and left us in more of a mess leaving by surprise on the last day of the window.

What is wrong with having high aspirations.

Let's drop the giving him grief. If he comes back I think it is a tacit apology, and am sure there were other underlying issues.....

I just think it's a pragmatic decision in both Fulham and Dempsey's best interests.

MAF and Jol have left, though I don't think Jol would have had a problem, and  CD has been a key player in Fulham's recent successful years, and is familiar with the club.

Agree, no-one should give him grief for wanting to further his career, even though he may have gone about it in the wrong way - but we should all move on , and welcome him back if he comes, and hope for some of the inspired performances and  goals that we know he is capable of.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: KingstonWhite on December 20, 2013, 01:30:36 AM
There was a TEAM who had  A son of Texas.  This son said to his Fulham, give me my share of the estate.' So Mo divided his property.

"Not long after that, the son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his career in wild living.  After he had spent everything, there was a severe GOAL famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.  So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to PLAY AT A LOW LEVEL.  He longed to fill his stomach with the goals that the Fulham fans loved him for, but no one gave him anything.

"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my fulham's hired servants have goals to spare, and here I am starving to death!  I will set out and go back to my fulham and say to them Fulham, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.  So he got up and went to his fulham.

"But while he was still a long way off, his fulham saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

"The son said to  'Fulham, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

But Mr Khan said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.  Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate.  For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.'  092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif 092.gif
Ah Ah Ah Ah Ahh men :xmas bell:

PokerMatt

Quote from: fulhams_finest on December 20, 2013, 02:02:16 AM
Wonder how the club feel about Riether allways outing them first on news like this. Not the first time Riether has been the first to welcome a new player to the cottage :P

And parading around in the oppositions shirt, looking happy about it, after being embarrassingly spanked.  

Players need to start having respect, something that we massively lacked when Jol was here. Danny Murphy, as captain, would never have allowed this.

I've got greater concerns about the players than whether they swap a shirt after a game or not.
How about players refusing to play then cos that's what silly Dempsey did - if you all forgot

I was furious at the time and wanted him out. But has this ever been confirmed? I know at the time his brother said there was a different story.

Anyway that's even further in the past. If he wants to play for us now Jol isn't here why not welcome back one of our best ever PL goal scorers? Yeah he's older but what about his game will decline rapidly?

Lord knows we need all the help we can get.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

SKSW6

Berbatov and Ruiz aren't American and they get plenty of abuse. McBride is a hero to Fulham fans and I think people appreciated what the likes of Boca and Keller did for us. Why do Americans have to make this about nationality? The reason people were so pissed off about Dempsey is because of the way he left, which is quite obviously a murky topic and one which I have revised myself since and have put much more blame on Jol and the club. It's also an attitude thing. Berba, Ruiz and Dempsey are players who get called lazy, no matter how unfairly, which is a cardinal sin in English football and the converse of which is why Parker is so loved.

General

Quote from: PhilaFFC on December 20, 2013, 12:38:37 AM
Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 10:53:21 PM
Quote from: BarryP on December 19, 2013, 09:35:41 PM
Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 07:47:06 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on December 19, 2013, 06:58:28 PM
or the Europa League games,

yes not roy's first choice.. he came on a did well when zamora was injured but roy prefered an injured bobby zamora to a fully fit clint dempsey, let's see our most succesful manager didn't have dempsey in his first 11 what is hard to comprehend about that.

Only the facts nose.  

In 2008-2009 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 41 of Fulham's 45 matches with 33 starts and 8 substitute appearances. He was Fulham's second leading goal scorer in all competitions behind Andy Johnson. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Murphy and Konchesky played in more matches than Dempsey.

In 2009-2010 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 36 of Fulham's 53 matches with 30 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He was  tied as Fulham's third leading goal scorer in all competitions. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Zamora, Duff and Gera played in more matches than Dempsey.

To say he was never in Hodson's 11 is a factual mistatement. To say he only had one good season is also quite a stretch in my assessment. It is your opinion and you're entitled to it but if I recall correctly he was voted Fulham Player of the Year twice so my guess is you are pretty much in the monority on that front.

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
pantsil hughes hanger konch
duff murf dixon simon davis
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact
in the key juve and hamburg games, roy prefered an injured zamora to clint dempsey
in fact i recall thinking clint should have started both those games for the reason that bobby was unfit but particulalrly against juve roy knew clint would not try hard enough for 90 minutes  and actually only came on after 71 minutes to score his wonder goal. He was the substitute, not the starter.

he played as much as he did through necesity not because he was first choice under roy, that is the fact. clint would play wide midfield or make shift centre forward, a good squad player who got lucky with the number of appearances. If you went to portsmouth like i did on that hot day and saw 10 players flog themselves to death for the team, fight for every ball it was amazing. but a few of us noticed clint barely raised a sweat, he was lazy and rarely looked interested, that is the fact.

he was voted player of the season twice, so I am in a minority, so what?  and people told me up until a few weeks ago Jol was a great manager that needed time and they did for two and a half years, i was also in a minority auntil people woke up,  as they say you can fool some of the people all of the time, but not me, not about the mighty clint, he was a very overated player. I prefer my own realistic memory of the man. He played well for one full season only.

What i said at the start was I am not sure rene's apparent style will suit clint's lazy style. we shall see. if he is really coming back, and whatever else we agree or disagree about i am never sure that is a good idea,  i do hope it works out well. as i say i met him and really liked him personally.

Dempsey mostly came off the bench to begin 08/09  and started his 2nd PL match of the season in mid  November '08.

He was then picked to start every PL match until Stoke Away midweek at the beginning of January '10. Something like 47 straight matches.

He scored off the bench in that match and hurt his knee the next match against Blackburn. He missed two months before coming back for the first leg vs. Juve. The second leg was only his third match back. Hodgson had began rotating the squad for the EL way back in November and chose not to make changes to the lineup that had been playing so well. CD finished the year coming off the bench in EL games and starting PL games while worked to regain his fitness and form.

How can you say he wasn't ever in Woy's 11 if he picked him to start 47 straight PL matches.

Also, your "Hodgson's preferred 11" has 12 players.

Trying to be smart and failing, he clearly states the names of 11 players with one of the strikers having 'or' next to his name...

EJL

Quote from: fulhams_finest on December 20, 2013, 02:03:55 AM
Don't forget the great season he had last year...oh wait
12 goals, playing out of position, in front of fans that were never really too keen on him, in a team that was dominated by and built around Gareth Bale. That season?

And no one actually knows whether or not Clint refused to train/play. How can you be so sure that it happened? It's Jol's word against Dempsey's, and they quite obviously didn't get along. Go figure.

nose

i didn't say he didn't rate him, i said he wasn't in his prefered first 11.
clint typically played wide nmidfield and drifed in, but murf and dixon were relatively constant first choice central.
uff and simon davis were always the preferred wide men
Bobby and AJ was roy's first choice and when aj was injured gera became the perfect partner.

clint was not roy's preference but was used as a frequently needed squad player.

I will show you again roy's first choice

schwarzer
pantsil hughes habngerland konch
Duff murf dixon SD
Bobby  Z  and Gera/AJ

In which position would clint have played in the above team? Who would Roy have left out for clint? answer, none of them? I have shown Roy's prefered team, what is so difficult about that? It is irelevant how many times he played because he played when he was required to by circumstance.

And for what it is worth, I thought Roy was very wrong to start the final V A Madrid with BZ I thought a fully fitClint would be a far better option, as it transpired bobby's clever footwork led to the equaliser but who knows what might have haoppened if clint would have started!

I recall debating the merits of clint all those years ago and I know very well all his positives but i also saw his negatives, and he is now older and I do not think his style, with what i have seen of Rene's teams.

We don't even know for sure if the rumopurs are true but there is nothing like a good Clint dempsey debate before the holidays, Happy christmas to all!

fulhams_finest

Quote from: PokerMatt on December 20, 2013, 08:36:16 AM
Quote from: fulhams_finest on December 20, 2013, 02:02:16 AM

I was furious at the time and wanted him out. But has this ever been confirmed? I know at the time his brother said there was a different story.

Anyway that's even further in the past. If he wants to play for us now Jol isn't here why not welcome back one of our best ever PL goal scorers? Yeah he's older but what about his game will decline rapidly?

Lord knows we need all the help we can get.

bit of double standards going on here, lets not talk about the past? haha yet everyone on here is banging on about how good he was forgetting the terrible season he had last year? seems fair

Julius Geezer

Quote from: nose on December 20, 2013, 09:32:17 AM

i didn't say he didn't rate him, i said he wasn't in his prefered first 11.
clint typically played wide nmidfield and drifed in, but murf and dixon were relatively constant first choice central.
uff and simon davis were always the preferred wide men
Bobby and AJ was roy's first choice and when aj was injured gera became the perfect partner.

clint was not roy's preference but was used as a frequently needed squad player.

I will show you again roy's first choice

schwarzer
pantsil hughes habngerland konch
Duff murf dixon SD
Bobby  Z  and Gera/AJ

In which position would clint have played in the above team? Who would Roy have left out for clint? answer, none of them? I have shown Roy's prefered team, what is so difficult about that? It is irelevant how many times he played because he played when he was required to by circumstance.

And for what it is worth, I thought Roy was very wrong to start the final V A Madrid with BZ I thought a fully fitClint would be a far better option, as it transpired bobby's clever footwork led to the equaliser but who knows what might have haoppened if clint would have started!

I recall debating the merits of clint all those years ago and I know very well all his positives but i also saw his negatives, and he is now older and I do not think his style, with what i have seen of Rene's teams.

We don't even know for sure if the rumopurs are true but there is nothing like a good Clint dempsey debate before the holidays, Happy christmas to all!

You're waffling.

nose

Quote from: General on December 20, 2013, 09:06:08 AM
Quote from: PhilaFFC on December 20, 2013, 12:38:37 AM
Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 10:53:21 PM
Quote from: BarryP on December 19, 2013, 09:35:41 PM
Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 07:47:06 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on December 19, 2013, 06:58:28 PM
or the Europa League games,

yes not roy's first choice.. he came on a did well when zamora was injured but roy prefered an injured bobby zamora to a fully fit clint dempsey, let's see our most succesful manager didn't have dempsey in his first 11 what is hard to comprehend about that.

Only the facts nose. 

In 2008-2009 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 41 of Fulham's 45 matches with 33 starts and 8 substitute appearances. He was Fulham's second leading goal scorer in all competitions behind Andy Johnson. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Murphy and Konchesky played in more matches than Dempsey.

In 2009-2010 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 36 of Fulham's 53 matches with 30 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He was  tied as Fulham's third leading goal scorer in all competitions. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Zamora, Duff and Gera played in more matches than Dempsey.

To say he was never in Hodson's 11 is a factual mistatement. To say he only had one good season is also quite a stretch in my assessment. It is your opinion and you're entitled to it but if I recall correctly he was voted Fulham Player of the Year twice so my guess is you are pretty much in the monority on that front.

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
pantsil hughes hanger konch
duff murf dixon simon davis
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact
in the key juve and hamburg games, roy prefered an injured zamora to clint dempsey
in fact i recall thinking clint should have started both those games for the reason that bobby was unfit but particulalrly against juve roy knew clint would not try hard enough for 90 minutes  and actually only came on after 71 minutes to score his wonder goal. He was the substitute, not the starter.

he played as much as he did through necesity not because he was first choice under roy, that is the fact. clint would play wide midfield or make shift centre forward, a good squad player who got lucky with the number of appearances. If you went to portsmouth like i did on that hot day and saw 10 players flog themselves to death for the team, fight for every ball it was amazing. but a few of us noticed clint barely raised a sweat, he was lazy and rarely looked interested, that is the fact.

he was voted player of the season twice, so I am in a minority, so what?  and people told me up until a few weeks ago Jol was a great manager that needed time and they did for two and a half years, i was also in a minority auntil people woke up,  as they say you can fool some of the people all of the time, but not me, not about the mighty clint, he was a very overated player. I prefer my own realistic memory of the man. He played well for one full season only.

What i said at the start was I am not sure rene's apparent style will suit clint's lazy style. we shall see. if he is really coming back, and whatever else we agree or disagree about i am never sure that is a good idea,  i do hope it works out well. as i say i met him and really liked him personally.

Dempsey mostly came off the bench to begin 08/09  and started his 2nd PL match of the season in mid  November '08.

He was then picked to start every PL match until Stoke Away midweek at the beginning of January '10. Something like 47 straight matches.

He scored off the bench in that match and hurt his knee the next match against Blackburn. He missed two months before coming back for the first leg vs. Juve. The second leg was only his third match back. Hodgson had began rotating the squad for the EL way back in November and chose not to make changes to the lineup that had been playing so well. CD finished the year coming off the bench in EL games and starting PL games while worked to regain his fitness and form.

How can you say he wasn't ever in Woy's 11 if he picked him to start 47 straight PL matches.

Also, your "Hodgson's preferred 11" has 12 players.

Trying to be smart and failing, he clearly states the names of 11 players with one of the strikers having 'or' next to his name...

AJ was injured such a lot but was Roy's first choice, when he was out his preference was Gera. What is hard about that? I didn't realise I would have to spell out such trivia.  My memory is clearly far better than the myth of clint dempsey pre his last season at fulham!

Happy christmas.