more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sascha Reither just tweeted this

Started by BigNigeBowds, December 19, 2013, 02:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KP_FFC

Why are you all arguing???????
We're 18th, he's our leading goal scorer. I think we need all the help we can get.

sunburywhite

Quote from: KP_FFC on December 20, 2013, 01:09:51 PM
We're 18th, he's our leading goal scorer. I think we need all the help we can get.

Quite right
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

EJL

Can someone tell me how Dempsey had a "terrible season" last year? I'm a bit confused...

HatterDon

Quote from: SKSW6 on December 20, 2013, 08:55:40 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on December 20, 2013, 01:08:25 AM
If you read this thread and still don't understand why I, among others, don't want any more Yanks at Fulham, your not paying attention. Being the leading scorer, a significant threat in the air on both ends of the pitch, a constant scrapper and drawing more fouls than anyone else count for nothing to some. Guess he has to be a combo of Messi & Kompany to be rated, or he could simply change his birthplace.

Berbatov and Ruiz aren't American and they get plenty of abuse. McBride is a hero to Fulham fans and I think people appreciated what the likes of Boca and Keller did for us. Why do Americans have to make this about nationality? The reason people were so pissed off about Dempsey is because of the way he left, which is quite obviously a murky topic and one which I have revised myself since and have put much more blame on Jol and the club. It's also an attitude thing. Berba, Ruiz and Dempsey are players who get called lazy, no matter how unfairly, which is a cardinal sin in English football and the converse of which is why Parker is so loved.

The title of this thread explains a lot

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=34851.0;prev_next=prev#new
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SKSW6

Quote from: HatterDon on December 20, 2013, 04:12:09 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on December 20, 2013, 08:55:40 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on December 20, 2013, 01:08:25 AM
If you read this thread and still don't understand why I, among others, don't want any more Yanks at Fulham, your not paying attention. Being the leading scorer, a significant threat in the air on both ends of the pitch, a constant scrapper and drawing more fouls than anyone else count for nothing to some. Guess he has to be a combo of Messi & Kompany to be rated, or he could simply change his birthplace.

Berbatov and Ruiz aren't American and they get plenty of abuse. McBride is a hero to Fulham fans and I think people appreciated what the likes of Boca and Keller did for us. Why do Americans have to make this about nationality? The reason people were so pissed off about Dempsey is because of the way he left, which is quite obviously a murky topic and one which I have revised myself since and have put much more blame on Jol and the club. It's also an attitude thing. Berba, Ruiz and Dempsey are players who get called lazy, no matter how unfairly, which is a cardinal sin in English football and the converse of which is why Parker is so loved.

The title of this thread explains a lot

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=34851.0;prev_next=prev#new

"Sell before we buy"? I think you mean "Does this mean that we are getting the American fans back for 2 months as well?", which was started by someone who's known for winding others up on here before, and who no one else in the thread is agreeing with. Some of the Americans on here really need to get over this strange mindset they have with their nationality. No one seems to care about it apart from them.

KP_FFC

Quote from: EJL on December 20, 2013, 03:17:17 PM
Can someone tell me how Dempsey had a "terrible season" last year? I'm a bit confused...
he didn't, he barely played and when he did he'd usually score

terryr

:
Quote from: sunburywhite on December 20, 2013, 01:20:45 PM
Quote from: KP_FFC on December 20, 2013, 01:09:51 PM

Quite right
:plus one:
Agreed

alfie

To be honest it really matters not one jot what he did last year, the year before or the year before that, what is important is what he can do for us now, but as I said yesterday let us not expect him to come here and be our saviour, because if it does not work you know what happens on this board when someone does not do what they are supposed to do.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Furby

Quote from: alfie on December 20, 2013, 06:26:00 PM
To be honest it really matters not one jot what he did last year, the year before or the year before that, what is important is what he can do for us now, but as I said yesterday let us not expect him to come here and be our saviour, because if it does not work you know what happens on this board when someone does not do what they are supposed to do.

:plus one: Absolutely agree. And I don't understand how people can still be bitter about Clint leaving. Will you be able to move on from last year if he makes a positive contribution to us and maybe score one or more important goals?

YankeeJim

I think Phil Milson said it best:

A word on the return of the Deuce in the white shirt. Disregard the manner of his leaving in 2012. Does anyone out there know the full story? Has Clint ever opened up about it? The man expressed a desire to play Champions League (and at 29 he knew he was running out of time). Do you have a problem with that? Did you ever see him bottle a challenge or give less than 100 percent when playing for the team?

The anonymity of forums gives every blinkered numpty the platform to display his ignorance. I cannot believe those posters puffing up their chests with comments like "Move on," "Not needed," "Never go back" or "See him as an impact sub maybe."
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

PhilaFFC

Quote from: General on December 20, 2013, 09:06:08 AM
Quote from: PhilaFFC on December 20, 2013, 12:38:37 AM
Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 10:53:21 PM
Quote from: BarryP on December 19, 2013, 09:35:41 PM
Quote from: nose on December 19, 2013, 07:47:06 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on December 19, 2013, 06:58:28 PM
or the Europa League games,

yes not roy's first choice.. he came on a did well when zamora was injured but roy prefered an injured bobby zamora to a fully fit clint dempsey, let's see our most succesful manager didn't have dempsey in his first 11 what is hard to comprehend about that.

Only the facts nose. 

In 2008-2009 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 41 of Fulham's 45 matches with 33 starts and 8 substitute appearances. He was Fulham's second leading goal scorer in all competitions behind Andy Johnson. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Murphy and Konchesky played in more matches than Dempsey.

In 2009-2010 under Hodgson's management Dempsey played in 36 of Fulham's 53 matches with 30 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He was  tied as Fulham's third leading goal scorer in all competitions. Only Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Zamora, Duff and Gera played in more matches than Dempsey.

To say he was never in Hodson's 11 is a factual mistatement. To say he only had one good season is also quite a stretch in my assessment. It is your opinion and you're entitled to it but if I recall correctly he was voted Fulham Player of the Year twice so my guess is you are pretty much in the monority on that front.

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
pantsil hughes hanger konch
duff murf dixon simon davis
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact
in the key juve and hamburg games, roy prefered an injured zamora to clint dempsey
in fact i recall thinking clint should have started both those games for the reason that bobby was unfit but particulalrly against juve roy knew clint would not try hard enough for 90 minutes  and actually only came on after 71 minutes to score his wonder goal. He was the substitute, not the starter.

he played as much as he did through necesity not because he was first choice under roy, that is the fact. clint would play wide midfield or make shift centre forward, a good squad player who got lucky with the number of appearances. If you went to portsmouth like i did on that hot day and saw 10 players flog themselves to death for the team, fight for every ball it was amazing. but a few of us noticed clint barely raised a sweat, he was lazy and rarely looked interested, that is the fact.

he was voted player of the season twice, so I am in a minority, so what?  and people told me up until a few weeks ago Jol was a great manager that needed time and they did for two and a half years, i was also in a minority auntil people woke up,  as they say you can fool some of the people all of the time, but not me, not about the mighty clint, he was a very overated player. I prefer my own realistic memory of the man. He played well for one full season only.

What i said at the start was I am not sure rene's apparent style will suit clint's lazy style. we shall see. if he is really coming back, and whatever else we agree or disagree about i am never sure that is a good idea,  i do hope it works out well. as i say i met him and really liked him personally.

Dempsey mostly came off the bench to begin 08/09  and started his 2nd PL match of the season in mid  November '08.

He was then picked to start every PL match until Stoke Away midweek at the beginning of January '10. Something like 47 straight matches.

He scored off the bench in that match and hurt his knee the next match against Blackburn. He missed two months before coming back for the first leg vs. Juve. The second leg was only his third match back. Hodgson had began rotating the squad for the EL way back in November and chose not to make changes to the lineup that had been playing so well. CD finished the year coming off the bench in EL games and starting PL games while worked to regain his fitness and form.

How can you say he wasn't ever in Woy's 11 if he picked him to start 47 straight PL matches.

Also, your "Hodgson's preferred 11" has 12 players.

Trying to be smart and failing, he clearly states the names of 11 players with one of the strikers having 'or' next to his name...

You're right. My apologies to nose.

BarryP

Quote from: nose on December 20, 2013, 12:28:34 PM
yes not roy's first choice..

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact
in the key juve and hamburg games, roy prefered an injured zamora to clint dempsey
in fact i recall thinking clint should have started both those games for the reason that bobby was unfit but particulalrly against juve roy knew clint would not try hard enough for 90 minutes  and actually only came on after 71 minutes to score his wonder goal. He was the substitute, not the starter.

he played as much as he did through necesity not because he was first choice under roy, that is the fact. clint would play wide midfield or make shift centre forward, a good squad player who got lucky with the number of appearances. If you went to portsmouth like i did on that hot day and saw 10 players flog themselves to death for the team, fight for every ball it was amazing. but a few of us noticed clint barely raised a sweat, he was lazy and rarely looked interested, that is the fact.

What i said at the start was I am not sure rene's apparent style will suit clint's lazy style. we shall see. if he is really coming back, and whatever else we agree or disagree about i am never sure that is a good idea,  i do hope it works out well. as i say i met him and really liked him personally.

AJ was injured such a lot but was Roy's first choice, when he was out his preference was Gera. What is hard about that? I didn't realise I would have to spell out such trivia.  My memory is clearly far better than the myth of clint dempsey pre his last season at fulham!

Happy christmas.

The problem with using absolutes nose is even when you are partly right people tend to focus on what you got wrong.  The preferred eleven you listed is primarily true for the Europa League but it is incorrect for the Premier League matches.   Dempsey was Roy's preferred left wing for the Premier League with Simon Davies only making a total of 16 appearances on the year.  Granted he was injured for the early part of the season but even when he was healthy Hodgson primarily used Digger as a squad player.   Hodgson only gave Digger 11 starts and 6 of those came when Dempsey and Duff were unavailable. When Digger got healthy he became a mainstay in Roy's Europa League roster but even when he was healthy he was a rotation player in the Premier League. By contrast Dempsey started all but 2 of the 29 Premier League matches he was available for.  That is not by accident that was Roy's plan.  Dempsey in the Prem and Digger in the Europa League.

Merry Christmas to you as well!
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Arthur

Quote from: BarryP on December 20, 2013, 08:21:34 PM
The problem with using absolutes nose is even when you are partly right people tend to focus on what you got wrong.  The preferred eleven you listed is primarily true for the Europa League but it is incorrect for the Premier League matches.   Dempsey was Roy's preferred left wing for the Premier League with Simon Davies only making a total of 16 appearances on the year.  Granted he was injured for the early part of the season but even when he was healthy Hodgson primarily used Digger as a squad player.   Hodgson only gave Digger 11 starts and 6 of those came when Dempsey and Duff were unavailable. When Digger got healthy he became a mainstay in Roy's Europa League roster but even when he was healthy he was a rotation player in the Premier League. By contrast Dempsey started all but 2 of the 29 Premier League matches he was available for.  That is not by accident that was Roy's plan.  Dempsey in the Prem and Digger in the Europa League.

An excellent piece of research, BarryP.

I've enjoyed reading the series of exchanges, but it looks as if it's game, set & match.

cottagecornerreject

fulhams finest said, "How about players refusing to play then cos that's what silly Dempsey did - if you all forgot."

Actually the facts were Jol said he refused to play causing dempsey to say he never refused and then Jol retracted that statement. So...

fulhams_finest

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 20, 2013, 07:09:22 PM
I think Phil Milson said it best:

A word on the return of the Deuce in the white shirt. Disregard the manner of his leaving in 2012. Does anyone out there know the full story? Has Clint ever opened up about it? The man expressed a desire to play Champions League (and at 29 he knew he was running out of time). Do you have a problem with that? Did you ever see him bottle a challenge or give less than 100 percent when playing for the team?

The anonymity of forums gives every blinkered numpty the platform to display his ignorance. I cannot believe those posters puffing up their chests with comments like "Move on," "Not needed," "Never go back" or "See him as an impact sub maybe."
I do remember when he couldn't get in our team - he eventually did after we kindly have him the chance and then there was a period of just over a month where he didn't play for us for whatever reason - that's fact

nose

Quote from: BarryP on December 20, 2013, 08:21:34 PM
Quote from: nose on December 20, 2013, 12:28:34 PM
yes not roy's first choice..

hodgson's prefered 11
schwarzer
bobby and AJ or gera

that is the fact

AJ was injured such a lot but was Roy's first choice, when he was out his preference was Gera. What is hard about that? I didn't realise I would have to spell out such trivia.  My memory is clearly far better than the myth of clint dempsey pre his last season at fulham!

Happy christmas.

I accept the numbers... my recollection of all of this was because SD was not entirely fit roy chose to use him sparingly. Sd was a thorughbred but because of injury lacked half a yard of pace.  But once we got going, roy fielded his best team in europe. That is entirely my point....SD was was the first choice, Duff was the first choice... in the final V Madrid they were the players that played.

Clint's last season at fulham saw him flourish into the player he should have been all along, and if that is the player that plays for us again i will be delighted. Jol's biggest success was transforming dempsey. Under jol dempsey stopped the fancy dan stuff, stopped shooting wildly so often and got himself into the box far more often where he got so many of his goals...

I have real faith in rene, if he picks him it will be on merit. if he doesn't work hard enough I think we will see very little of him.

whoever it is though I am not sure going back is actually a good idea, clint is coming to because he loves fulham, he is only coming because of his world cup aspirations. so hopefully he will put in a good shift.