watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We all knew today was going to be hard

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, December 21, 2013, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Our season starts now. The next 4 games will decide our fate.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Deanothefulhamfan

Victor your negativity is hilarious.... Remind what the score was when City played Norwich, or more importantly what was the score when Fulham played at the stadium of light.

You think Norwich will comfortably beat us, I find this statement more hilarious than anything.

Why do you bother posting on a FULHAM messageboard, when all you do is post laughable negativity? Where were you after the Villa game ? When was the last time we ever got anything away at Everton, and what did you expect against an in form Man city. They scored 6 against top of the league last week, have you seen their goal differance. They destroy nearly every team they play. We outplayed them for 75 minutes, and played fantastic.... yet all you can do is point out the glaringly obvious rather than support the team. You were gloating about being right that Fulham would lose, yet dissapeared when Fulham got it back to 2-2... Excellent support

Denver Fulham

Victor may be overly exuberant in his negativity, but his core point isn't wrong. We've conceded 34 goals in 17 matches, including 10 under Rene in four matches. A lot of them were sloppy/soft/avoidable. We don't have a huge margin for error against any side to keep allowing cheap goals. Hopefully a downgrade in opponent quality will spur a further increase in possession and less defensive frailty. Then the goalkeeper has to be better, too.

BillNRoc

The next 4 are crucial, but right now our quality and depth are both in question. Not impressed by Stek, who makes some big saves and muffs ones most keepers would handle; like Ruiz, finding the Prem tougher than he is? Thin across the back line, aging in midfield, some good attacking today but our goal difference is hideous. Sitting in the stands today, Dempsey may have wondered what he's got himself into, especially with no Berba. Will the players step up between now and January, or will we slide into a hopeless position? COYW.

ToodlesMcToot

Personally, great timing for Berbatov to be injured, but hopefully not too badly.

I think it forced some creative player adjustments for us and gave a few players who'd been "written off" (Richardson and Taarabt) an opportunity to show that they can still contribute.

This was a perfect opportunity for Richardson, who has been misused at left back, to show what he can do in midfield. He has plenty to offer going forward, but more importantly can defend from the front......exactly what was needed today.

And for me, Mr. Taarabt was used in the only place he can be for us....up top where his errors are less prone to hurting our defense. He's not on great form, but he sure draws defenders. If he can get his passing together in the final third, he could round into a Dembele light.....at least going forward.

I don't get the jabs at the defense. They are a cobbled together group in the center with little consistency and time to gel for the entire season. This certainly contributes to exposing their weaknesses in marking, positioning, and decision-making, and to poor showings by Stek, who is plenty good for us.

Supporters who get so upset about shipping out 4 goals or whatever, seem to conveniently forget that we are exposing ourselves to that purposefully as we try to push on for the points we need. We must "go for it" against the higher teams b/c we've nothing to lose in doing so. If we sit back and try to defend a point against a team like City or Everton, we'll be cut apart and scored upon and be out of the rhythm of the game on top of that.

When we play those teams around us, if we keep the present formation and one/two passing mentality, we'll be imposing our game upon them. I think Rene has really hit on something and I am up beat that we'll be able to close ranks and achieve some clean sheets as well in defense.

Please get behind every player. Stekelenberg, for instance, is going nowhere....not even the bench. It does no good to do anything but get behind the guy.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

terryr

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 21, 2013, 05:30:56 PM
I'm sorry, but if we continue to concede 4 goals a game, regardless of how well we play, or whoever the team is, then we won't be doing this at all, fact.

Our defense is absolutely woeful, including the goalkeeper and rightly above, he's not the player he was made out to be when he signed. In my eye's, he's another Martin Jol luxury and not built for the Premiership at all.

Most people are assuming that we'll automatically get points at places like Norwich and Hull, really? Norwich just drew away to Sunderland who are fighting for their lives. They will comfortably beat us 2-0 whilst we'll continue to use the excuse that we were 'unlucky'.

Unfortunately for me, I think our boat has finally sailed and that the damaged inflicted by Martin Jol, and further more Mo's tight transfer policy, is now irreversible.

Although it will be 'refreshing' to see a bit of fight in our remaining games, Jol's sacking will prove to have been far to late, and although I also think Rene' is the real deal, he won't keep us up.

A big learning lesson for Shahid Khan maybe? Or was he sold a sinking ship that had just had a lick of paint?      

I trust you when you say that you're a long term supporter of the club. But, seriously, have you had a single supportive thing to say on this board? Anything positive other than your positivity in asserting that we are going down?

I'm seriously beginning to believe that you could talk a kitten in to hanging itself with its own ball of yarn. Sheesh!

YankeeJim

We have given up more goals than any other team by a comfortable margin. That bodes trouble. Parker ran out of gas and after the Ancient one went off, Citi had the run of midfield. These old legs are going to kill us. We really need to score first. If we do that the opponent will have to chase the game which will be to our benefit. I still think we'll be ok but probably flirt with relegations until the last month.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Burt

I had no expectations of getting anything from today's fixture so shouldn't really feel disappointed by the outcome...but I am...because we put in a great shift and didn't deserve that.

Rene is clearly doing the right things though. There hasn't been an abject performance since he took over the reigns.

And now we have got a sequence of difficult fixtures out of the way, the next few are where we should start picking up the points.

Whilst disappointed at today's result, I feel optimistic. Things are stirring in SW6!

COYW

049:gif

Northern Cottager

It doesn't matter how well we play for 75 minutes if we manage to concede a minimum of two when the oap's are blowing out their arse's. Need so e youth with stamina in the defence before it's too late.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Northern Cottager on December 21, 2013, 06:37:12 PM
It doesn't matter how well we play for 75 minutes if we manage to concede a minimum of two when the oap's are blowing out their arse's. Need so e youth with stamina in the defence before it's too late.

We need Kasami in central midfield taking on more of the heavy lifting. Sometimes I believe it'd be great having Karagounis' graft late in games rather than early.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 21, 2013, 06:48:10 PM

We need Kasami in central midfield taking on more of the heavy lifting. Sometimes I believe it'd be great having Karagounis' graft late in games rather than early.

I am waiting for Rene to move Kasami into the deeper midfield trio. That would save Karagounis and open up a spot (potentially) for a different guy in the front four.

MJG

Quote from: Denver Fulham on December 21, 2013, 07:07:35 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 21, 2013, 06:48:10 PM

I am waiting for Rene to move Kasami into the deeper midfield trio. That would save Karagounis and open up a spot (potentially) for a different guy in the front four.
I'm sure that will happen over next three games. Those oap's can't play 3 games in a week.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RaySmith

I was half hoping we'd get everyone back and defend the 2-2 draw - but, quite rightly the team went for the win,but ManC undid us on the break.

But an inspiring performance just the same.

Surely we should start picking up points if we keep laying like this.

Count Berbatov

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 21, 2013, 06:23:45 PM
Personally, great timing for Berbatov to be injured, but hopefully not too badly.

I think it forced some creative player adjustments for us and gave a few players who'd been "written off" (Richardson and Taarabt) an opportunity to show that they can still contribute.

This was a perfect opportunity for Richardson, who has been misused at left back, to show what he can do in midfield. He has plenty to offer going forward, but more importantly can defend from the front......exactly what was needed today.

And for me, Mr. Taarabt was used in the only place he can be for us....up top where his errors are less prone to hurting our defense. He's not on great form, but he sure draws defenders. If he can get his passing together in the final third, he could round into a Dembele light.....at least going forward.

I don't get the jabs at the defense. They are a cobbled together group in the center with little consistency and time to gel for the entire season. This certainly contributes to exposing their weaknesses in marking, positioning, and decision-making, and to poor showings by Stek, who is plenty good for us.

Supporters who get so upset about shipping out 4 goals or whatever, seem to conveniently forget that we are exposing ourselves to that purposefully as we try to push on for the points we need. We must "go for it" against the higher teams b/c we've nothing to lose in doing so. If we sit back and try to defend a point against a team like City or Everton, we'll be cut apart and scored upon and be out of the rhythm of the game on top of that.

When we play those teams around us, if we keep the present formation and one/two passing mentality, we'll be imposing our game upon them. I think Rene has really hit on something and I am up beat that we'll be able to close ranks and achieve some clean sheets as well in defense.

Please get behind every player. Stekelenberg, for instance, is going nowhere....not even the bench. It does no good to do anything but get behind the guy.
Excellent post.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Forever Fulham

I am so proud of this team.  For nearly 80 minutes they played great against probably the best team in the league.  Just look at the payroll differential!  I am a little upset with the manager for keeping Kara on the pitch that long.  Age.  Age.  Age.   Tied at the 77th minute.   Ah well.  Such great passing and smart movement.  They're playing like a different team.  Need a finisher.