https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (20/12/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 20, 2013, 08:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Provides Ideal Chance To Remedy Manchester City's Travel Sickness

FULHAM v MANCHESTER CITY 15:00; Craven Cottage

Rene Meulensteen will be expecting his Fulham side to repeat their display against Aston Villa in their last home game, which produced a 2-0 win, rather than the flat performance they served up at Everton last week. The Cottagers will be encouraged by City's struggles away from home but their own home record certainly can't be a source of great optimism, with three defeats on the bounce prior to the Villa win.

Meulensteen may start to rotate his attacking players ahead of the congested Christmas period, but also needs his best players firing if they are to accumulate the points that get them away from their current position of 19th.

It must have seemed to City boss Manuel Pellegrini that things were going almost too well: goals galore in the league, with sixes against both Tottenham and Arsenal; a Champions League win in Munich that has made Europe's big boys sit up and really worry about what City are doing on the field for perhaps the first time; and even the domestic away from improving.

Then came the news that striker Sergio Aguero will be out for up to eight weeks with a calf injury. City have the squad depth to replace Aguero, but you feel his movement, clinical finishing and link-up play with the likes of David Silva will be much missed as they go about the hectic festive schedule in which they attempt to home in on top spot.

Pellegrini may opt to play Silva behind a lone striker, rather than field Edin Dzeko alongside Alvaro Negredo up front.

What to watch out for: Fulham haven't managed a clean sheet in any of their last 18 matches against City and not won any of the last nine.

Possible line-ups:

Fulham – Stekelenberg; Riether, Hughes, Amorebieta, Riise, Karagounis, Parker, Sidwell, Dejagah, Berbatov, Duff

Man City – Pantillimon; Boyata, Demichelis, Kompany, Clichy, Navas, Toure, Fernandinho, Nasri, Silva, Negredo

Recent form: Fulham – LLLLWL; Man City – LWWWDW

Prediction: 1-3

http://www.footymatters.com/articles/english-football/premier-league/manchester-city/fulham-provides-ideal-chance-to-remedy-manchester-citys-travel-sickness/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham v Man City match preview

Fulham go into this Premier League fixture having failed to beat Manchester City in any of their previous nine matches against them. Fulham are currently placed 19th in the table and have the worst form in the league after managing only one win in their last eight outings.

New head coach Rene Meulensteen knows how important Fulham's home form will be in their bid for survival and a surprise result over City would boost their confidence ahead of matches against Norwich City, Hull City and West Ham United.

City are hoping to extend their five match unbeaten run in the league on Saturday. Manuel Pellegrini's team currently sit in fourth place in the Premier League and are in high spirits after recent victories over European Champions Bayern Munich and Premier League leaders Arsenal.  City have notched an unrivalled 47 goals in the league this term, whilst Fulham have struggled for goals, managing to score only 15 all season.

Argentine teammates Sergio Aguero and Pablo Zabaleta are ruled out of this fixture with calf and hamstring injuries respectively. Micah Richards, Matija Nastasic and Stevan Jovetic will also not feature due to injury. Defender Fernando Amorebieta is a doubt for Fulham, with Hugo Rodallega and Brede Hangeland ruled out.

PAST THREE MEETINGS:

Man City 2 (Silva 2) Fulham 0, Premier League, January 2013.

Fulham 1 (Petric) Man City 2(Aguero, Dzeko), Premier League, September 2012.

Man City 3 (Aguero, Baird OG, Dzeko) Fulham 0, Premier League, February 2012.

STATS:

There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 10 of Man City's last 12 games in the Premier League.

Fulham have lost 7 of their last 8 matches in the Premier League.

Man City have been winning at both half time and full time in 5 of their last 7 matches in the Premier League.

Fulham have conceded at least 2 goals in 7 of their last 8 matches in the Premier League.

Man City have scored at least 2 goals in 7 of their last 8 matches against Fulham in all competitions.

ODDS:

Fulham to win: 9.0

Draw: 5.0

Man City to win: 1.35

TV: Highlights will be shown at 22.20 on MOTD.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-fulham-v-man-city-match-preview-9017552.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v City: Q&A Preview with Cottagers Confidential

A chat with fellow SB Nation blog 'Cottagers Confidential' for more info on Fulham

City travel to London tomorrow to take on Fulham, who currently occupy 19th place on 13 points. The Blues are on a great run of form and will look to continue that with another strong away performance at Craven Cottage, where Fulham have won only twice so far this season. I spoke with Andrew Beck from Fulham's SB Nation blog 'Cottagers Confidential' to find out more about our foes heading into the match.

- B&B: Let's get the obvious out of the way first; can you summarize why Fulham have been so poor this year?

CC: Last season Fulham had the heart of the team ripped out when they lost Clint Dempsey, Moussa Dembele, and Danny Murphy all at once.They never really were able to rebuild during the season. This year, instead of investing, Mohamed Al Fayed was preparing the club to be sold. By the time Shahid Kahn purchased the team, he didn't have enough time to evaluate what was there and invest to fix the holes. Add into this a manager who was on the last year of a contract in an unsure position with new management and you have everything you need for a disaster.

- B&B: Do you think Rene Meulensteen can keep the team from getting relegated?

CC: I do think Meulensteen can keep the team up. The bottom of the table is pretty poor this year, and I don't think it takes that much. I also don't believe Shahid Kahn will let the team go down without trying to invest some money in January to fix things. It's expensive to spend in January, but the amount of value the club loses by going down dwarfs that investment.

- B&B: What kind of moves do you foresee Fulham making in the transfer window in January? What areas of the team are in most need of reinforcements?

CC: The Clint Dempsey loan looks like a done deal at this point. Even though it's only going to be two months, he could have a big impact. I also think we might have seen the last of Bryan Ruiz. He's a talented player, but Meulensteen doesn't seem committed to building a squad around him. Dempsey is a good person to bring in and bridge the gap to Ruiz's eventual replacement. The team is still thin in central midfield. They could really use a more creative box to box type that allows Scott Parker, Steve Sidwell, and Derek Boateng to concentrate on holding duties. With Brede Hangeland hurt and questions about how effective he might be when coming back, I see center back as a pretty big need. Finally, depending on what happens with Berbatov, you might see the club need to bring in a new striker.

- B&B: Individual form and injury situation currently at Fulham? Do you foresee any changes in personnel particularly for this match?

CC: The team has actually played quite well since Meulensteen took over. Berbatov has been exceptional. Guys like Girgios Karagounis, Ashkan Dejagah, and John Arne Riise have come back from Jol's dog house and played quite well. I'm not 100% sure who the first choice LB is at this point. With Jol, it was Kieran Richardson. Richardson has been hurt since Meulensteen has been in charge, so Riise has been back playing. That's probably the one position you might see a change.

- B&B: Finally, a prediction? Where do you see the key battles being fought out on the pitch?

CC: City has been so poor away from home in the league this year that I want to think Fulham has a shot. Plus, the pitch at Craven Cottage is so small compared to the expansive surface at the Etihad that I could see it giving City tons of problems. I'm going to be optimistic and predict a 1-1 draw. City mostly dominating, but the attack being bogged down by the small pitch. Then one moment of Berbatov brilliance bringing in a Fulham goal.

Thanks to Andrew for his time!

http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2013/12/20/5229664/fulham-v-city-q-a-preview-with-cottagers-confidential?

WhiteJC

Clichy wary of new manager syndrome at Craven Cottage

Fixtures are coming up thick and fast and City have to grab as many points as possible to pick up the pace on their title charge – that's according to Gael Clichy.

Although the 28-year old doesn't believe that titles can be won or lost over the festive period, he acknowledges that the next couple of weeks could be vital in shaping City's season.

Manuel Pellegrini's men travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday hoping to rack up a fourth successive win in all competitions but Clichy isn't expecting it to be straight forward.

"We have to try and get as many points as possible, it's going to be tough and it's going to be intense but we know the league can be set up by this period of the season as we enter January and February," Clichy stated.

"It's going to be difficult but we're confident of doing good things.

"It's really difficult to play a team who have been struggling and then bring in a new manager as the players all want to show something different.

"It's always a difficult place to go but as long as we play the way that we want to it's going to be tough for the other team, too.

"Fulham has been a good place for us in the past but football is a funny game and if you're not 100% committed and focused, you can be in for a rough time."

"Fulham have very good players, like Berbatov up front – we just want to make sure we get three points, that's all that matters."

City travel to West London without the services of Argentine duo Sergio Aguero and Pablo Zabaleta.

Gael admits that any team would miss two such players but believes that it's time for other members of the squad to take the opportunities that may be handed to them.

"When a team loses a player of Sergio's quality it's always going to be really difficult but luckily enough we have some great players like Edin who can always score goals and Alvaro has been fantastic since he joined us," Clichy asserted.

"Stevan is coming back from injury too. Of course it's a blow to lose Sergio because he's one of the best players in Europe at the moment but that's just the way it is.

"Of course it would be much easier if everyone was fit all of the time, but injuries are part of football, so we will have to cope with it and hopefully get the points."

"Zaba is a bit different because Micah is injured as well which leaves us without a recognised right-back.

"Dedryck Boyata has doing very well in training since the summer and this could be his chance to get a few games but it's the decision of the manager.

"With a team like ours we want to play in all of the competitions and there's a time when you have to deal with injuries."

Clichy also took the opportunity to give his verdict on City's UEFA Champions League draw.

The Blues will contest the tie of the round in February, with Barcelona providing the opposition in the last 16.

Inevitable, according to the City left-back.

"I knew we were going to get Barcelona, I had a feeling," Gael smiled.

"I told the lads that there was no point watching the draw because I knew we were going to get them and I was right!"

"That's the kind of game you want to play in – of course you enjoy winning 3 or 4-0 but you really want to test yourselves against the best players in the world."

"For the last eight years, Barcelona have been the best in Europe – we often hear people saying that if you want to win the Champions League, you have to beat the best teams and that's what we have a chance to do.

"Hopefully we can get something out of the match - it should be a cracking game!"

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2013/December/Gael-Clichy-Fulham-preview?

WhiteJC

Hot Ash's Aim

Shahid Khan, René Meulensteen and Ashkan Dejagah take centre-stage in Saturday's jam-packed official matchday programme against Manchester City.

With a new-found belief at Fulham right now, the Chairman looks ahead to a prosperous 2014 for the Club, while Head Coach Meulensteen reflects on his first three games in charge.

And, after a 'frustrating' start to the campaign, Dejagah outlines his determination to help the Whites out of their current predicament following his return to the First Team fold under Meulensteen.

"I can't deny that it's been a frustrating period for me," he says. "Every player wants to play as much as they can. I just wanted to be out there with the team and helping them in their ambitions of turning things around. When you're not playing, you get a feeling that it's out of your hands.

"But it happens; sometimes you find yourself out of favour. You just have to make sure you're ready when your time comes, and every day I got my head down and worked as hard as I could out on the training pitch.

"Football is an unpredictable sport, with many twists, turns, ups and downs. It's been a difficult season for myself and for the team, but hopefully we've come through that now. I'm happy to be back, and I'm determined to show what I can do again."

To read the full interview with Dejagah, pick up an official matchday programme on Saturday.

Other key content in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is available to download digitally from 9am on Saturday - include:

John Arne Riise takes the Fulham 50 challenge
Former Fulham winger Ray Houghton recalls a famous win against Manchester City in 1984
Ex-City striker Niall Quinn assesses Saturday's teams and reveals how a trial with the Whites as a youngster failed to come to fruition
Young defender Liam Donnelly is profiled in Through The Ranks
And former Whites and City man Rodney Marsh talks entertainment in Yesterday's Hero
Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also order copies directly from www.programmemaster.com

The programme is also available as an app with added video content from 9am on Saturday via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags. You can subscribe for the whole season for the digital edition or buy a single issue for £1.99.

Tickets for Saturday's game are still available to buy, priced from £49 for adults and £25 for juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/20/hot-ash-aim?

WhiteJC

Inside the Opposition: Fulham

What a couple of weeks it's been. Beating Bayern with our reserves, drawing Barcelona in the last-16, battering Arsenal and moving withing three points of the buggers, and then beating Leicester to go through to the semis of the League Cup. It's a great time to be a City fan.

This weekend we play Fulham, a side who have really struggled this season. They're 19th and looking pretty disjointed. It's a must-win. The other day, I spoke to Kris Balkin, Fulham fan and writer for the Metro, and asked him about the enigma that is Berbatov, Martin Jol's time in charge and who he thinks will win the title.

What went wrong during Martin Jol's time at the club?

I think everyone at the club got a little bit complacent under Jol and he seemed to do very little to change things. The manager had his favourites too, and I don't think that helped at all because the likes of Bryan Ruiz and Dimitar Berbatov were performing awfully and getting rewarded consistently with a starting berth.

Most of all, though, Jol is quite tactically naive and he's very slow to change things when they're not going his way. For some time it has been quite clear that we lack balance – too much flair, not enough guile – but he merely persisted with his overly attacking style and it wasn't paying off either in goals or victories. I feel that lack of adaptability has held us back for about a year now and the only way to stop the rot was to let him go. I'm appreciative of what he's done but leaving was the best thing for Fulham.

Are you pleased with the Meulensteen appointment?

I think many were expecting someone a little more experienced, especially given the peril we find ourselves in but I, personally, am a big fan of Meulensteen. You don't spend as much time as he did at Manchester United without picking up a few things and though there is palpable risk in placing our faith in someone who has never managed in England, the early signs are good.

He's wonderful on the training ground, which is key given our distinct lack of fitness, and he's managed to pour some enthusiasm into the camp, which is no mean feat. He'll find it tough to keep that positivity going but he's got what it takes.

Who's been your best player?

There have been very few who have impressed, but Scott Parker has remained solid throughout all of our lows this season. Despite his age, he is a rock in midfield who tackles tough and can pick out a perfect pass every now and then. He's no Xavi but he is the kind of midfielder we need when you have Ruiz and Berbatov roaming around up top, doing very little to support the defence.

Simply, he has yet to put a foot wrong and that has helped endear him to the fans immediately.

What's your likely XI on Saturday?

Stekelenburg; Riise, Hughes, Senderos, Riether; Kacaniklic, Sidwell, Karagounis, Parker, Dejagah; Berbatov.

We're not at our strongest but that midfield has been working surprisingly well since Meulensteen came in.

How good is Berbatov? From an outsiders perspective, he just seems like an absolute dream of a player, with a touch to die for, but I can imagine him frustrating, too.

You're spot on. For months now many of us have called for him to be dropped and I still think those claims were justified, but since the new manager came in he has been rejuvenated and we've all been reminded of what he can do when he's at his best. On his day, he can win a game on his own but the problem is, when he's not on it, he's a drag to the team so it very much works both ways.

His attitude can bring us down and his lack of input – beyond hanging around the opposition's half and pouting – can lose us as many games as he's probably helped us win. It's a case of keeping him happy, really, and as long as Meulensteen does that we should be fine.

To be honest, I'd rather just have Sergio Aguero but I guess Berby will just have to do.

Which City player would you most like to sign?

Ha, I think I've just answered that! Last season I didn't rate him that highly – at least compared to other, high-end strikers – but Aguero has really shown himself to be a superbly gifted striker who not only chips in with regular goals, but is creative as well. He's got everything I'd imagine you'd want in a forward and I feel he's really paying his dividends for you guys this season.

I'm particularly glad he's injured for this game because he'd run circles around Phillippe Senderos.

Mancini or Pellegrini?

Ah, you've got me there, because I'm actually a big fan of both. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw Mancini as a little more pragmatic and I like that in some managers. He was there to win games and though his record wasn't unblemished, he ran a tight ship and you defended well but didn't lack an attacking spark.

Pellegrini seems far more keen to attack and you've been scoring goals for fun this season, and he's doing a far better job in the Champions League than Mancini ever did. I guess his experience there has helped a lot and for that I'd say you're better off now than under your previous regime.

Who will win the title?

Even though the start to their campaign has hardly been perfect, I fancy Chelsea to nick it but don't have many reasons to substantiate my claim. They are not the Chelsea they used to be and I think you guys, plus Arsenal, will run them extremely close but maybe Jose Mourinho's nous at this level will see them through.

Match prediction?

I'm hoping for a fortunate 1-1 and that's where I'm going to place my chips. We're certainly on the cusp of an upwards curve and Craven Cottage is, hopefully, going to become an increasingly more difficult place to travel to. We need a result that says 'we're doing something right here' and I think a draw would say that, especially given the way you've just been marauding your way through teams recently.

http://typicalcity.org/2013/12/20/inside-the-opposition-fulham-2/?

WhiteJC

Player contracts will have to wait, says Rene Meulensteen

Fulham will wait until next month before deciding whether to offer new deals to a host of players who are out of contract next summer.

Dimitar Berbatov, Giorgos Karagounis, Aaron Hughes, Damien Duff, Steve Sidwell and Alex Kacaniklic are all entering the final six months of their contracts.

A number of other players' deals expire at the end of the season, including John Arne Riise, Philippe Senderos and Matthew Briggs. But despite doubts over their futures, head coach Rene Meulensteen says pulling clear of the drop zone is the immediate priority.

Fulham, who take on Manchester City at Craven Cottage tomorrow, are one point from safety and Meulensteen is concerned only about the relegation battle for the time being.

"It is still early days," said Meulensteen, who will speak to chief executive Alistair Mackintosh next month to discuss the futures of Berbatov, whose agent said he wanted to leave next month, Sidwell and Kacaniklic.

"For me, it is about making sure we keep the momentum that we have created going, getting more points on the board and stabilising ourselves in the League. Then, like any club, you need to strategically look to the future and to see what [players' deals] need to be extended. That is not something that has to be discussed over the next two or three weeks."

Mahamadou Diarra's hopes of earning a new contract are fading. Diarra, who has not played since last December because of a serious knee injury, was released in the summer but he has been training with the club in a bid to prove his fitness and earn a fresh deal. The former Real Madrid midfielder, 32, is still some way off full fitness and, although he is confident of playing this season, it remains to be seen how much more time Fulham will give him.

They begin their busy festive schedule against a City side that will be missing injured forward Sergio Aguero.

There have been suggestions that Manuel Pellegrini's side are over-reliant on the Argentine, who has scored 19 goals in just 20 games this season, but Riise knows that Fulham still face a tough challenge.

City beat Arsenal 6-3 last weekend and defender Riise said: "He has probably been the best player in the Premier League so far but it gives other players the chance to prove to the manager that they are good enough. Whoever comes in for Aguero will do a good job as well and it will not be any easier for us."

Riise was out of favour under Martin Jol but he has been given a second chance by Meulensteen and may now have a future at the club. The left-back, who had been expected to leave next month, admits it was difficult being out of the side but he is determined to keep his place under the new boss.

"Belief and confidence is massive," said Riise, 33. "When you have a new manager, all of the players feel that they have a chance to play and they need to impress. I did not play for four months under Martin Jol, then suddenly I was straight back in.

"My philosophy was that hard work always pays off, no matter what. I tried to be positive, work hard and I knew my chance would come. It took longer than expected but when I got my chance after three or four months, I was ready because I trained hard to be physically ready for the games."

Riise added: "He [Meulensteen] has brought in some good ideas and the players enjoy playing under him.  People can see the difference and how the team play football and how the players act on the pitch, so it will only get better and better."

Tickets for Fulham v Manchester City and Fulham v West Ham on January 1 are available to purchase by visiting fulhamfc.com/tickets

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/player-contracts-will-have-to-wait-says-rene-meulensteen-9017849.html

WhiteJC

Etheridge Improving

Crewe kept up-to-date on progress of loan goalkeeper

Crewe Alexandra manager Steve Davis has revealed that he has been kept informed about Neil Etheridge's fitness levels and that he may look to extend his loan deal once his latest one expires in the New Year.

The club are hoping that the Fulham goalkeeper may be fit enough to resume his current loan agreement, as he is progressing well from his thigh injury, but boss Steve Davis says he will not rush him back.

The Alex boss has given Ben Garratt his chance in the first team and Alan Martin has returned from a recent bout of illness to offer competition. The club's player coach Steve Phillips has also been told that he will not need surgery on a shoulder problem after meeting a consultant yesterday.

Steve Davis told crewealex.net: "I am in constant contact with Fulham about Neil. We have been kept up-to-date with his progress and the two physio's talk constantly as well.

"Neil is not ready yet but he is improving all the time. We will have to wait and see how he is and then consider what we might do in January."

Read more at http://www.crewealex.net/news/article/etheridge-improving-1246756.aspx?#lXzJMWD1jZJAAi8h.99

WhiteJC

Dempsey undergoing medical at Fulham

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen confirmed this afternoon that former striker Clint Dempsey had undergone a medical at the club and is set to return on loan.

Meulensteen is also confident Dimitar Berbatov will stay to help the club in their relegation battle despite the Bulgarian claiming last month he was unhappy at Craven Cottage.

Dempsey, who scored 50 goals in 184 league matches for Fulham between 2007-2012, is set to return for a loan spell in January and February from Seattle Sounders in the MLS in the United States.

Meulensteen said: "Clint will be a boost for us."

On Berbatov, Meulensteen said: "I had a chat with him and he is committed to the games in front of us. Let's revisit the situation in January."

Asked whether he had convinced Berbatov to stay beyond January, Meulensteen said: "I could well have done. Look at his performances, he has been excellent for us."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/dempsey_undergoing_medical_at_fulham_1_3135506

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Clint Dempsey undergoes medical with Fulham ahead of return to club

Clint Dempsey has undergone a medical with Fulham with a view to returning to the club on a two-month loan.

Dempsey spent five years with the Cottagers before joining Tottenham in 2012.

The USA midfielder moved back to America this year to join Seattle Sounders.

He is hoping to join Fulham for January and February as the club battle for Premier League survival.

Manager Rene Meulensteen said: "He's having a medical over the last couple of days and the next couple of days, so hopefully that will all work out.

"Clint has spent so many years playing in the Premier League.

"We know where his strengths lie whether it is coming in from the left or playing as a deeper striker or a number nine depending on who you are playing against. The most important thing is that he will be a good boost for us."

The move could go through when the transfer window opens on January 1, with Dempsey returning to the United States for the start of the new MLS season on 8 March.

Dempsey scored 50 goals in 184 league matches for Fulham before moving to Spurs, a decision that did not please many Cottagers fans.

Meulensteen, however, believes the fans will give him a warm welcome.

"I'm sure they will," he said. "It speaks volumes for him that in his loan opportunity he wants to come back here."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9081611?

WhiteJC

City missing five for Fulham trip

Stevan Jovetic has not recovered from his illness against Leicester to add to Manuel Pellegrini's injury problems for the Fulham game.

Manuel Pellegrini is set to be without five of his first-team squad when Manchester City travel to Fulham this weekend.

Matija Nastasic, Micah Richards, Pablo Zabaleta, Sergio Aguero and Stevan Jovetic have all been ruled out for the trip to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

City have had a bad run of injuries in recent games; Zabaleta and Jovetic were sidelined against Leicester in midweek, Aguero was injured against Arsenal last weekend while Richards came off against Bayern in the previous game.

It leaves Pellegrini without a recognised right-back but the City manager insisted that he still has plenty of options.

Pellegrini said: "We don't have a right back so will see who will play there. We can play Clichy, we can play Kolarov, we can play Boyata, Milner, so we will see who is the best option."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matija-nastasic-micah-richards-pablo-6435421?

WhiteJC

René: Dempsey Deal Close

Head Coach René Meulensteen has confirmed that Clint Dempsey is close to sealing a return to Fulham.

The American spent five-and-a-half years at Craven Cottage before moving to Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2012 but is set to head back to SW6 on a short-term loan from Seattle Sounders who are currently in their off-season.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference on Friday, Meulensteen said: "He's having a medical and we're looking into that. It would be a real boost for us. Hopefully that will all work out.

"Clint spent so many years playing in the Premier League and we all know where his strengths are. He can come in from the left or play as a second striker depending on who you're playing against. It speaks volumes for him that he wants to come back here. Initially it's for January and February."

Asked if a deal for Dempsey could signal the arrival of several signings as Fulham look to move out of the bottom three places in the league, Meulensteen responded: "I don't think it's a question of how many in numbers. We know that if we need support from the Owner to boost our chances, then that support will come.

"The players here are as good as gold. It's a good squad with a lot of experience. The players are aware of the situation we're in and how we can get out of it. They've been very supportive to me and I couldn't ask for anything more.

"The only disappointment in the three games I've been in charge of is that we've only picked up three points when we could have had five or six. Other than that the players have been fantastic. They've started to buy into the way I want to play the game."

Dimitar Berbatov has been back to his flamboyant best since Meulensteen took over First Team affairs and the Dutchman stated: "I've had a chat with him and I know he's committed to this Club and the games we have in front of us. Looking at the performances he's been excellent for us."

Manchester City arrive at the Cottage on Saturday (3pm) fresh off the back of a 6-3 thumping of title rivals Arsenal last weekend and Meulensteen knows it will be a tough test for the Whites.

He added: "City will be strongly pushing for the title. It's going to be tight with them and Chelsea if you ask me. They're a great club with great players and we have to test ourselves. We'll do our upmost to get something out of it.

"I've had a full squad to train with. Hugo Rodallega is back in the squad and just needs a bit of sharpening up as he's been out for a while."

Tickets for Saturday's game are still available to buy, priced from £49 for adults and £25 for juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/20/rene-dempsey-deal-close?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey set for two-month Fulham loan stint

LONDON (AP) - Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen says United States striker Clint Dempsey has undergone a medical test and is set to return to the club on loan.

Dempsey scored 50 goals in 184 league matches for Fulham from 2007-12 but left for Tottenham before moving to the Seattle Sounders in August.

The 30-year-old Dempsey could play for two months from the opening of the winter transfer window in January, because the MLS season does not resume until the second week in March.

"He's having a medical and we're looking into that. It would be a real boost for us. Hopefully that will all work out," Meulensteen told FulhamFC.com. "Clint spent so many years playing in the Premier League, and we all know where his strengths are. He can come in from the left or play as a second striker depending on who you're playing against. It speaks volumes for him that he wants to come back here. Initially it's for January and February."

Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20131220/clint-dempsey-fulham-loan.ap/#ixzz2o2Fo9b00

WhiteJC

Back to London Clint? Ex-Tottenham striker Dempsey having medical at Fulham

FULHAM are inching closer to re-signing Clint Dempsey, Rene Meulensteen has confirmed.

Dempsey, who became a cult favourite during his time at Craven Cottage, is having a medical ahead of a proposed loan move.

The American, who notched up 50 goals in 184 league matches for Fulham during a five-year spell, is set to return for a month before heading back to Seattle Sounders ahead of the start of the new MLS season.

Meulensteen admitted in his press conference that Clint's presence would be a huge 'boost' for the club.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/449792/Back-to-London-Clint-Ex-Tottenham-striker-Dempsey-having-medical-at-Fulham