watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Forget Curbishley, we must walk away with points tomorrow

Started by Victor Meldrew, December 25, 2013, 03:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Meldrew

I'll be honest, we won't be favorites going into tomorrows game, and Larrow has already called a 2-1 win in favor of the Canaries, despite our recent change of form.

On paper, Norwich do edge it on favorably with a) it firstly being a home game, and b) Chris Hughton being renowned for always going for it at home.

I believe Snodgrass and Wolfswinkel and back for tomorrows game, so Norwich do have options up top. Hopper has also picked up a bit of form recently, and Wolfswinkel is coming across very Fulhamish right now. Don't think he's played in 5, scored in 10 has he?

Anyway, our main weakness tomorrow will undoubtedly be our defense. I used to have nightmares about Senderos, but Amorbeita along side Hughes has been giving me hot sweats since Man City. He's hardly shown signs of the defender that Messi said once said was the best he'd come up against!

We must, without fail, start from where we left off against Man City tomorrow and keep the tempo up. Certain players will also have to step up and fight for the cause over 90 minutes, not 70, or when the hell they feel like it. No defensive errors tomorrow, no conceding from set pieces, or early / late in the game.

We have enough quality in the squad to get points from this game, and a draw to me will be acceptable, not a 2-0 defeat which my head keeps telling me is going to happen.

Merry Christmas all, lets hope it continues to a Black & White one.

:merry christmas:           

RidgeRider

We need to get them on their back feet early. An early goal is our best chance of getting 3 points out of them. We seem to give up more goals when we are behind and taking chances (as do many mid-table teams).

It will be interesting to see how Rene sets up the starting XI. I hope he attacks early and gets over on them but that will leave us vulnerable to playing from a deficit if we overcommit and give up a cheap goal.

So, do we play defensive and hope to nick one on the counter, or attack for that first goal?

Victor Meldrew

Agreed my RidgeRidger, it will be interesting to see how Rene sets his team up for for this one.

It's a potential banana skin waiting to happen for Fulham, as not only will it be another defeat in our aim for survival, it will also allow Norwich to pull away from us on 20 point.

Difficult to call, go for the draw at theirs and try to beat them at home, or go for broke and hope we score more than them.

I think it has to be the second option, as we don't have the defense to hold out for 90 minutes, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Something us miserable gits thrive on

Pluto

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: Pluto on December 25, 2013, 04:40:23 PM
Must win game I feel....

Don't think it's a must win, but certainly a must not lose. If we can nick a point away to both Norwich and Hull, beat West Ham and Sunderland at home, I'll be happy. Still, what I want, and what I'm going to get are two completely different things!

filham

Without Hangeland and Senderos in our team Norwich will sense goals. Rene must take measures to provide assistance to our back four such as adding Boateng to the midfield or playing Bent up front and ensuring he is in our penalty area for all set pieces. If we continue to leak goals we will again come home pointless.

Craven Mad

No question. Rene has had some bade results of late, and the team is still shipping goals. I'm a fan, and definitely appreciate the noticeable improvements, but we can't spend a whole season saying 'good performance, poor result'.

Excuses can be made for MCity & Everton, but Norwich is a MUST win.

JackyFulham90

I think we should be fairly cautious tomorrow, if Berbatov us fit to return then I hope we line up

Stekelenburg
Riether Hughes Amorebieta Riise
        Parker Karagounis Sidwell
Dejagah              Berbatov            Richardson

Subs - Stockdale,  Zverotic,  Boateng,  Kasami,  Taarabt,  Kacaniklic ,  Bent

If Berbatov is injured again then Taarabt to again play as a false number 9

Victor Meldrew

I'd take a risk on starting Bent if Berbatov isn't fit. The amount of balls that we're going into Man City's box last week were his cup of tea. Granted Taarabt played well, but Bent is a type of smash and grab player, something which may benefit us tomorrow.

Classic94

We must get at least 7 points from our next 4 games. This is absolute bare minimum. Lose tomorrow and we can ill-afford defeat in any of our next three fixtures. Tomorrow's game is big.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 25, 2013, 10:28:47 PM
I'd take a risk on starting Bent if Berbatov isn't fit. The amount of balls that we're going into Man City's box last week were his cup of tea. Granted Taarabt played well, but Bent is a type of smash and grab player, something which may benefit us tomorrow.

Agree with this, though its a tough call. Bent could get us the goal that puts us up 1-0, just because he is a good poacher, and even if we play defensive and try to nick one on the counter, he has the skill to get one past the keeper on a counter (though I think Taraabt does as well). The only thing is with Bent's defensive weakness, he can be liability, but Taraabt does seem much better in that regard.

Deanothefulhamfan

Not a must win, but agree with those that say it is a game we must not lose....  If we lose today, we are facing mission impossible, and you will hear no more excuses from me Meldrew... I think we have played well enough in recent weeks to beat Norwich, and that's what I fully expect us to do.

Taarabt on the left and Bent up front is the only potential reason Bent should play. In my eyes Bent has been one of the worst players for us this season.

Taarabt certainly should not be dropped after his recent performance.

Logicalman

Good call Victor.

I agree with putting Bent in there, as long as he can get the service he requires. He's shown he has no speed per se, but he has a strikers instinct, and that's whats required.

I disagree Filham, regarding Helga, he was poor for his last 5 games, and I wouldn't trust him in such an important game as this, even if he was fit, I would prefer to ease him in during tough away games, where the vast expectation would be to come away with bugger all.

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 25, 2013, 03:10:50 PM
We need to get them on their back feet early. An early goal is our best chance of getting 3 points out of them. We seem to give up more goals when we are behind and taking chances (as do many mid-table teams).

It will be interesting to see how Rene sets up the starting XI. I hope he attacks early and gets over on them but that will leave us vulnerable to playing from a deficit if we overcommit and give up a cheap goal.

So, do we play defensive and hope to nick one on the counter, or attack for that first goal?

Key is to ensure they do not run with ball at our soft centre (inspired by a strawberry cream in Xmas chocy box).  One of those midfielders must sit in front of our centre backs and stay there.  I see a lot of panicking when teams do that against us and we do leak goals from the centre just outside penalty box (Swansea winner, Everton first goal etc...). 

We have to start well.  Control the match.  It is a bit of a "on the fence" answer to your question, but we have to be able to attack without looking vulnerable.  Play deep, keep the ball and wait for the opening.

Taarabt could do another job on his own, if someone from midfield provided the goal threat.  He should not lose his place to Bent or even Berbatov for that matter.  That would send out the wrong message to the lad.  Taarabt needs confidence and game time. 

Writing this reply, I have quickly realised that I am not sure what team I would pick.  I think the 4 and 3 speak for themselves, but the 2 and 1 bit of the Xmas tree is tricky.

Taarabt, Dejagah and Bent.  Done. 

COYW.

RaySmith

I hope we get something from the game, but it isn't a 'must win'.

Even if we lose we can still survive in the Prem, and I believe we will.