watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stan Brown

Started by grandad, December 30, 2013, 04:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...talking of his shirt number, I may be wrong, but I believe he played with all the outfield numbers from 2 to 11 at some points during his distinguished career with Fulham...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

Very sad. An old mate of mine (non-league player) played alongside Stan when they were youngsters. Either at school or youth club team, can't remember.

nose

big fan.... very sad... thoughts go out to him and =his family and friends for the difficult days and months ahead

CorkedHat

It is great to read so many nice comments about Stan Brown. He deserves every plaudit he receives.
I wrote this verse about Stan Brown some years ago. I'd like to share it with you now.

STAN BROWN
It was Langley who brought him to Fulham
Thank you very much dear Jim
And it was Sir Johnny who once said
"He's only noticed when you most need him"
And "he's a player's player" said Georgie Cohen
The tributes come thick and fast
And yet we are a discussing a footballer
Some said would never last
They said he was too short
To ever make the grade
But his speed and skills were electric
A human dynamo had been made
I was there in nineteen seventy
It was a game I had to catch
When Chelsea came on over
To play in his testimonial match
That night many great names paraded
Even Sir Johnny wore his crown
But there's one player I'll always remember
God bless you Stanley Brown

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

RaySmith

A fitting tribute Corked Hat - thank you.

Fernhurst

Thank you CH I missed this lovely ode first time around.

So sad to hear our Stan has been struck by this bloody horrible affliction.

Remember being happy seeing Stan at Johnny's statue unveiling where he looked well.

My abiding memory of Stan's playing days was a home match in 1962 against Everton where we faced the league leaders the week after Johnny Haynes car accident in Blackpool. We were given no chance by the media but Stan latched on to a Jim Langley long throw and we ran out 1-0 winners.
Stan was my hero that day.

All Fulham fans will pray for strength for Stan's family through this ordeal.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

JBH

Quote from: RaySmith on December 31, 2013, 05:41:22 AM
A fitting tribute Corked Hat - thank you.

:plus one: Totally sums Stan up  :54:

MOR :

Horrible news to hear...Player description of Stan Brown born 15 September 1941...For those Supporters that never saw him play.

A loyal clubman who played in three divisions of the League during a 15-year stay with Fulham, Stan Brown was an adaptable utility player whose record places him in the Cottagers' top 20 appearances' chart. Born in Sussex, where he lived throughout his career and still resides today, Stan captained East Sussex Boys before joining Fulham as a 16-year-old in 1957. He signed professional forms two years later and in January 1961 made his debut in an embarrassing 6-1 home defeat by Sheffield Wednesday.

He did not get another game for nearly two years but, from the autumn of 1962 until he left the Cottage ten years later, he was a fixture in the side. Initially he was a centre-forward but, at 5ft 7ins, he was a bit on the small side to lead the attack, and so switched to midfield and then into the back four. There he was the model of reliability and consistency playing alongside the likes of Bobby Robson, John Dempsey and Reg Matthewson. He had six seasons as a regular in the old First Division, two in the Second and two in the Third, and his loyalty was rewarded with a well-earned testimonial.

Despite his size, the perpetually youthful-looking Stan was good in the air, an excellent tackler and a good passer of the ball. His contribution often went unnoticed by the supporters but he was much appreciated by his team-mates.

With the arrival of Alec Stock as manager and the return of Alan Mullery as captain in the summer of 1972 Stan, now past 30, lost his place. He went on loan to Brighton in October 1972, signed for Colchester two months later and joined Wimbledon in the summer of 1973. His brothers, Alan and Irvine, played for Brighton and Bournemouth respectively.

Holders

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 30, 2013, 08:31:54 PM
...talking of his shirt number, I may be wrong, but I believe he played with all the outfield numbers from 2 to 11 at some points during his distinguished career with Fulham...

No, LB, I think you'll be glad to know that you're wrong.

I'm pleased to tell you that Stan also played with the Nr.1 shirt on when he went in goal for the injured Ian Seymour (against Enfield, I think it was).

A loyal club servant who didn't leave the ship when we were relegated in successive years.

Pleased to say that I went to his testimonial.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

gerrys

So sad.........my all-time favourite player.

He also did something that is very unlikely to happen ever again.................in those days there were no substitutes and he was the designated "reserve" goalie, he also played in all the other outfield positions, consequently he played in all 11 available positions in a football team.

Kent Cassandra

Hard to top to the sentiments expressed here, a much loved and admired dedicated Fulham professional. At 76 my short term memory isn't what it used to be but long term I remember him as a fresh faced young man tearing about the pitch providing cover for the more talented but less energetic players in the team.  A horrible illness and one that most people dread.
You are in our thoughts Stan.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.