https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our 3 most expensive signings

Started by St Eve, January 10, 2014, 08:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

Ruiz, Marlet & Johnson - not a great track record

PaulJ123

I always liked Johnson when he was here, never really lived up to the price tag but wouldn't say he was terrible (apart from injuries)

MJG

And people wonder why MAF was never willing to spend really big.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Berserker

I like AJ for his enthusiasm and love for the club, as you say shame about the injuries. I also like Ruiz and am saddened he had never excelled at Fulham, still think he has massive talent but hasn't been able to show it consistently with us...nerves and lack of confidence I feel.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

SKSW6

It is a pretty strange record. AJ was hampered by injuries to be fair to him, and I don't think Ruiz was quite as bad as people made him out to be (5 goals and 9 assists in 29 games last season is a decent record).

JackyFulham90

Ruiz & Aj were good players,Marlet was by far the worst of the 3

davew

Our 3 most expensive sales were????
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

FPT

Quote from: davew on January 10, 2014, 09:09:58 PM
Our 3 most expensive sales were????

Dembele, Saha and maybe Chris Smalling.

simplyfulham

How about 3 of our cheapest signings?

Shwarzer
Gera
Karagounis

All FREE

Moral of the story? Don't slag of free signings!!

Twig

I am not defending his record, but to be fair Marlet was played as an out and out striker when his success had come as a winger.  Tigana thought he could convert a wide player, as Wenger once famously did, and spectacularly failed.  Not entirely Marlet's fault.

MJG

Here is an interview with Marlet from yesterday
-----------
http://thefootballnewsnetwork.ie/?p=435

Recently I had the honour to sit down with former France international and Fulham striker Steve Marlet. The 2001 Confederations Cup winner made the move to West London after a massively successful time in France with Lyon, Auxerre and Marseille. The now Director of Sport at Red Star Paris he tells us all as to why his Premier League career was brief and his partnership with Drogba at Marseille during their UEFA Cup win.

Steve you started your career at Red Star how was your talent spotted? You are currently now Director of Sport, what are your roles now back at the club where it all began for you?

I played with youth team in the academy when the first team manager asked me to train with first team,then i started my first professional game and then I never left the team. Its my third year at the club, my first as Director of sport. My role is to take in charge recruitment and assist staff in their relationship with the club's management.

It was the summer of 1996 when your professional career really got going, you signed for Auxerre and showed your potential during your time with them, what was the highlight of your time with Auxerre?

Definitely when I scored against Amsterdam in Champions League in a away game at the Amsterdam Arena, and when I scored against Glasgow Rangers in a home game.

Your most successful season with Auxerre was your last season before your transfer to Lyon, what improvements in your game had developed during that time there?

Guy Roux, the Auxerre first team manager, was known for his teams play 4-3-3, and in this system,i I played right winger. In my last season I played up front as a striker and when I signed for Lyon, I played striker as well.

After making your debut for France whilst at Lyon and attending the Confederations Cup in the far east, clearly your career was going in the right direction, is there anyone pacifically you could thank for that or is it all down to your own hard work?

Of course,I could not have done this career without help and support of my family. I enjoyed all time of my career and all first team manager was important for me.

Fulham were promoted to the Premier League in 2001 under the leadership of Jean Tigana. Tigana fought hard to sign you for his Fulham side. What was your attraction to Fulham and leave your home country behind?

Sports challenge was interesting for me. Most of my team mates in France team, played in Premier League (Henry,Veira,Pires,Wiltord...), and I was 28 years old. So it was time for me to leave France for Premier League.

Is there a moment or goal at Fulham that stand out for you?

My first goal for Fulham against Man United in a home defeat (3-2), and the atmosphere in the FA cup semi final against Chelsea. Of course I enjoyed the kindness of people who worked for the club.

At Fulham you were reunited with Steed Malbranque and seemed to develop a strong partnership with him, are you close off the field with him?

Yes I knew Steed from our time spent at Lyon so I had a good relationship with him but off the field I used to stay at home with my family.

Rumours lead us to believe that after two years at Fulham and under a different manager to who you signed for originally, the Chairman Mr. Al Fayed, tried desperately to get you out of the club, can you confirm or deny these rumours?

I can not deny these rumours. When Jean Tigana left the club, this time was difficult for me at the club but it was more difficult for my family cause I was not happy anymore. But i really enjoyed my 2 seasons I spent in England .

You went back to Marseille on loan for awhile and struck up a partnership with now Chelsea legend Didier Drogba and reached the UEFA Cup Final, was this the happiest time in your career?

It was one of my happiest time in my career, especially our UEFA cup campaign because we beat ,Liverpool, Inter and Newcastle.

How do you look back on your time in England? Would you change anything?

As I said before, I really enjoyed my time spend in England,I would have stayed if the atmosphere had been better for me.

Your two year loan spell back in France ended and your contract had expired at Fulham, you then ventured to Germany, did you enjoy your time there?

The club was no doubt in transition and won the Bundesliga title only a few years later. I enjoyed my time in Germany,cause it was one year before the world cup and all the stadiums were news and full. The atmosphere was fantastic.

After your German adventure you came back home to play for Lorient, you were now in the twilight years of your career, do you have any fond memories of your career at this stage?

I didnt play a lot but my family was happy cause people there were really nice.

You came out of retirement to play once again for Aubervilliers two years after retiring, why was that?

The reason is that the manager is my friend since 20 years. So when he asked me to help his team, I said "yes".

Looking back on your career now, what is the highlight moment for you throughout your entire 20 year career in the game? And is there anything you would change?

Different moments were important in my career. The highlights were all the first time, my first professional game,my first champion's league game,my first goal,my first title,first premier league game.Maybe I would have stayed more time in England, if I could have changed something.

Why do you think the national team is under achieving so much and how would you fix it? Do you think you were given a fair chance in the national team?

With the world cup qualification, the national team started his own new story for the first time.T hanks to this qualification the team is stronger than before. I think I had a fair chance in national team, but it was difficult cause competition was tough with so many good player.

What are your plans for the future? Do you have ambition to go into a coaching career?

I hope to become a manager, I had the UEFA Licence A, and I plan to get the pro licence.

Who was the biggest influence in the career of Steve Marlet? And what advise would you give to a young footballer?

Most influencial in my career was that of my family, although all coach I had were important, but the education provided by my family helped me to become a good player and I think a good man.I advice to all young players to never give up,even if its hard,even if you are in troubl.Work hard and watch your behavior on the field and off the field.

Finally, What managers did you get on with during your career, and who did you not like at all?

I have no problem with all manager I have had. I appreciated to work with all of them. But if I have to make a list the last manager I didn't like it would be the one I have had in Germany.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Berserker on January 10, 2014, 08:40:19 PM
I like AJ for his enthusiasm and love for the club, as you say shame about the injuries. I also like Ruiz and am saddened he had never excelled at Fulham, still think he has massive talent but hasn't been able to show it consistently with us...nerves and lack of confidence I feel.

Maybe I am too cynical but I think you are confusing AJ's professionalism and enthusiasm to do a good job for "love" of the club.

I too am saddened Ruiz has been a failure, he should of been "our" kind of player but "talent" is a lot more than looking the part.

The Guy who juggles the ball in the Sure advert on SKY news has a "talent" but he can't translate that to the pitch either.

Bedford White

For sure high cost players sometimes fail to meet expectations. However high quality demand high prices, we've been unlucky with our most costly players but it doesn't mean that this will always be the case. I'd be really impressed with Khan dug deep and signed a high value, high profile and exceptionally talented CAM. We need a playmaker, a Danny Murphy. Investment there and some quality reinforcements for the centre and left back positions would set us up to move forward.

Wesley Sneijder anyone?

Burt

Of the 3 I think AJ was the best.

When he was injury-free, his work rate and commitment were spot on, he created problems for the oppo's defence, and he did bag some goals for us.

Ruiz has been the biggest disappointment as I feel there is undoubted talent somewhere in there and it's a shame that neither Jol or RM seem to be able to unlock that.

filham

We do seem to slip up when we spend big money but are capable at times of hitting the jackpot with lower price purchases, McBride is a prime example.

Marlet an absolute waste of money. Andy Johnson unlucky with injuries, a great trier but we never really got anywhere near good returns for our money. Ruiz has showed flashes of brilliance but has never generally failed us, lets hope we can now recover some of our outlay in an overseas sale. If we could show potential buyers videos of those moments of brilliance then they may be prepared to risk a few million on him.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Burt on January 11, 2014, 10:51:10 AM
Of the 3 I think AJ was the best.

When he was injury-free, his work rate and commitment were spot on, he created problems for the oppo's defence, and he did bag some goals for us.

Price of Andy Johnson = £10.5m
Knocking 3 past QPHAHA = Priceless
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Rhys Lightning 63

Let's not also forget... We criticise AJ for his injury record, but had he not gotten injured against Amkar Perm, Roy wouldn't have been forced to form that Zamora and Gera partenership that tore Europe apart that year
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense