more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (11/01/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 10, 2014, 07:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

John Arne Riise targets back-to-back wins

Fulham left-back John Arne Riise has admitted that back-to-back home wins for the first time this season would be a huge boost in the club's battle against relegation.

Riise said that it is vital to beat the teams around Fulham in the Premier League table and a win against Sunderland to follow up the West Ham United victory would build a cushion to the bottom three.

"The West Ham game was very important for us and obviously this game on Saturday against Sunderland is going to be very important as well because they're desperate for a win, too," Riise told the club's official website.

"It's a chance for us to get back-to-back wins and that would give us some breathing space from the bottom three. When you play a team in mid-table or down at the bottom where we're at home, people expect us to get the three points a bit more. These are tough games because there's a little bit more pressure on you."

Riise has become a regular in the Fulham XI under Rene Meulensteen having been left out by Martin Jol.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/riise-targets-back-to-back-wins_129473.html

WhiteJC

Fulham want to keep Berbatov
Rene Meulensteen says he has not given up hope of keeping Dimitar Berbatov at Fulham but has told Bryan Ruiz he can leave Craven Cottage.

Dimitar Berbatov: Still wanted at Fulham

The Bulgarian striker has been linked with a move across London to Arsenal in the transfer window and was left out of the Cottagers' FA Cup third round clash with Norwich.

Asked if he was resigned to losing Berbatov, Fulham manager Meulensteen said: "No, I am not resigned to anything.

"You can only resign to something when things happen and at this moment in time it hasn't. He is a Fulham player and a very important one for us.

"We would lose quality, experience, that special aspect that makes him stand out from the others.

"He can do things, turn things on, pull things out of the hat. He is an exceptional player."

Costa Rica forward Ruiz, who was signed in 2011 for a fee believed to be in excess of £10m, has been linked with a loan move to Real Betis and a return to Holland.

Meulensteen has used Ruiz just twice since he succeeded Martin Jol, and he said: "We've allowed Bryan to talk to a number of clubs to see if anything can come out of that.

"Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player. I've come in, I've looked at the squad, I've worked with these players.

"I've picked my teams on what I think are the right reasons and motivations and I can also understand Bryan's. He's a good player, he's got a World Cup coming up and he obviously needs to play."

Meulensteen was also quizzed about potential arrivals to Craven Cottage, ruling out a move for Brondby target man Simon Makienok and downplaying reports of interest in West Ham's Ravel Morrison.

http://www.football365.com/fulham/9109349/-?

WhiteJC

Skipper passed fit for vital Fulham game

Fulham captain Brede Hangeland is available for selection for Saturday's home clash with fellow strugglers Sunderland.

The defender has not featured since he was substituted at half-time against Crystal Palace in October.

He has been struggling with a sciatic nerve problem but returned to full training this week.

Whites boss Rene Meulensteen said: "Brede is in full training with us and is up for selection. He has fully recovered and is progressing well."

Kieran Richardson is also back after hamstring tightness kept him out of the FA Cup tie at Norwich.

Keeper Martin Stekelenburg is recovering from an ankle problem and remains a doubt.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-receive-huge-boost-ahead-of-vital-sunderland-clash-wls-football

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Sunderland
Sunderland rode their luck a little bit against Manchester United on Tuesday but ended up with a really good win in the first leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final.

It is back to reality for the Black Cats now in their relegation fight and it is these games that are the important ones for them, against another struggling team.

The Cottagers have shaken up their entire coaching setup with the arrivals of Alan Curbishley and now Ray Wilkins to join manager Rene Meulensteen.

After getting thrashed 6-0 by Hull, they bounced back well to beat West Ham in their last league outing, and another home win here would be huge for them.

Sunderland are still down amongst the dead men but, since Gus Poyet took charge in October, they have not been that bad.

The Black Cats have been playing OK and have been competitive in games, but their big problem is that they look goal-shy.

They seem to have to make an awful lot of chances to get a goal and that means they make things very difficult for themselves.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25666378

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen: Fans have "big role"

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen has urged the club's supporters to get behind the team in Saturday's home clash against relegation rivals Sunderland.

The Dutchman said that the game was very important but that he had prepared his players as well as he has been able to, which he hopes could make the difference.

"It's a huge game for us and them, but we've been working hard and that's paid off," he told reporters at his press conference. "Hopefully it will be the same tomorrow.

"The fans have been fantastic for us, we couldn't have asked for anything more. They've got a big role to play."

Meulensteen took over from Martin Jol at the start of December.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/meulensteen-fans-have-big-role_129477.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sunderland

By Martin Fisher
Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 11 January

TEAM NEWS

Fulham are likely to be without defender Brede Hangeland because of an ongoing sciatic nerve problem.

Netherlands international goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg could return after a four-game absence with an ankle injury.

Sunderland have no new injury concerns despite being in midweek League Cup action against Manchester United.

Gus Poyet is without long-term absentees Carlos Cuellar (thigh) and Kieren Westwood (shoulder).

MATCH PREVIEW

Having commentated on Fulham's second-half capitulation at Hull City over Christmas, I had them down as relegation certainties.

That day in East Yorkshire they were spineless in defence and toothless in attack, a combination that could only have one outcome. But significantly that day they were missing Scott Parker and Dimitar Berbatov, while the back four had a makeshift feel to it.

Keeping Parker fit and just keeping Berbatov will be pivotal in their hopes of survival. There's bound to be interest in the Bulgarian during the transfer window but in selling him, Fulham risk losing their chief asset in the bid to remain in the Premier League.

Looking at Rene Meulensteen's squad I firmly believe there's enough quality in it to avoid the drop - just! Recent results support that judgement as either side of the horror at Hull, they beat Norwich and West Ham.

Now they face another fellow struggler, knowing victory would put further distance between themselves and the bottom three.

Although still anchored to the foot of the table, Sunderland should make the trip south in confident mood. On Tuesday they wrote another chapter in their remarkable Capital One Cup story and their 2-1 first-leg success in their semi-final against Manchester United leaves them tantalisingly close to Wembley.

Many on Wearside fear a repeat of 1985 when Sunderland combined an appearance in the League Cup final with relegation from the top flight, but it need not end that way.

Gus Poyet's team have cobbled together a reasonable run recently on the road. They're unbeaten in their last four games, finally securing their first away win of the season at Everton on Boxing Day. A repeat of last season's 3-1 victory at Craven Cottage would bring even greater celebration.

This will be the fourth time I've covered Sunderland this season and I've yet to commentate on a goal by them! But with Fulham's leaky defence that should change this weekend.

Whether they'll return north with all the points is another question and might well depend on the fitness of Parker and the mood of Berbatov.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Fulham won the last meeting between the clubs at the Stadium of Light, Pajtim Kasami scoring the only goal.

Sunderland were victorious at Craven Cottage last season, winning 3-1 in one of only four successes away from home last season.

The Cottagers have won eight of 19 Premier League encounters, with four victories for the Black Cats.

Fulham
Fulham's 42 goals conceded this season is the most of any Premier League team.

The Cottagers have conceded the first goal in a league-high 15 games but have fought back to win three games from losing positions, the joint second best record.

They have not drawn a Premier League match in 16 fixtures since a 1-1 draw with West Brom on 14 September.

Dimitar Berbatov has scored nine goals in his last nine league appearances in January.

Sunderland
Sunderland are unbeaten in their last four away matches in the league, their best run since a six-game streak between August-November 1999.

They remain the only team in the bottom eight not to have won a game against another side currently in that section of the Premier League table.

The Wearsiders have scored only five goals on their travels this season, one-third of their entire league tally.

Gus Poyet's side have won just once in the top flight on the back of their four Capital One Cup ties this season.

Lee Cattermole has scored just four career league goals, one of which came against Fulham while at Middlesbrough in August 2007.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25600520

WhiteJC

PSV on alert as Fulham boss confirms Ruiz can go

PSV will make a bid to sign Fulham's Bryan Ruiz on loan after Rene Meulensteen confirmed he will allow the playmaker to leave Craven Cottage.

The Costa Rican international has endured a difficult season and is set to be allowed to leave the club on a temporary basis.

And reports in Holland suggest PSV are keen to bring Ruiz back to the Bundesliga, where he enjoyed a hugely impressive spell at FC Twente.

Real Betis were thought to be close to completing a deal but PSV's interest, which was reported in Voetbal International, could swing the deal their way.

But it seems almost certain Ruiz will leave Craven Cottage this month.

"We've let Bryan Ruiz talk to a number of clubs to see if anything comes out of it," said Meulensteen.

"I wouldn't call it a mistake (signing him). At the time he was probably the right choice and investment.

"I've come in and looked at the squad and what needs to be done.

"There is some contact with Real Betis but maybe Holland will be an option as he knows the league well."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/psv-alert-fulham-boss-confirms-ruiz-can-go-14011075041#jjlhXL9PqLvT3wMv.99

WhiteJC

Steve Sidwell v Ki Sung-Yueng: Head-to-head analysis ahead of the clash between Fulham and Sunderland

Check out all the vital statistics concerning the two sides' players ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting at Craven Cottage

Ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting, between Fulham and Sunderland, see how the sides' players Steve Sidwell and Ki Sung-Yueng compare.

Data and graphic provided by whoscored.com

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/steve-sidwell-v-ki-sungyueng-headtohead-analysis-ahead-of-the-clash-between-fulham-and-sunderland-9051883.html

WhiteJC

Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz set for January exit

Bryan Ruiz is in discussion with a number of foreign clubs after being told he can leave Fulham, manager Rene Meulensteen has confirmed.

The 28-year-old was the biggest signing of Martin Jol's tenure, arriving at Craven Cottage in 2011 for a fee reported to be £10.6million.

However, Ruiz has rarely lived up to that price tag and the playmaker's indifferent form this campaign has led to Fulham fans to turn on him.

Meulensteen has confirmed the Costa Rica international can leave in January, with Real Betis and a return to the Netherlands amongst the possible destinations.

"The only progress in the transfer market that I can reveal to you is that we have allowed Bryan Ruiz to talk to a number of clubs to see if something can come out of that," he said, speaking ahead of Saturday's match with Sunderland.

"That is really as far as all the progress is concerned.

"I wouldn't call his signing a mistake because at that time it was probably for Fulham the right choice and the right investment.

"Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player. I've come in, I've looked at the squad, worked with these players, I've picked my teams on what I think are the right reasons and motivations, but I can also understand Bryan's point of view.

"He is a good player, has a World Cup coming up and he obviously needs to play, but I can't, like with any other player, guarantee that."

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2014-01-10/fulham-forward-bryan-ruiz-set-for-january-exit/?

WhiteJC

Preview: Crucial Clash At Craven Cottage

Gus Poyet's team face Fulham this weekend, looking to grab a potentially season defining three points.

Sunderland Team News

Steven Fletcher picked up a knock in Sunderland's midweek victory over Manchester United and could miss the trip to Fulham. Even if he is fit to play, Poyet may stick with his policy of rotation when it comes to his forwards and choose to start Altidore ahead of him.

Altidore was impressive as a substitute in the tie, but it was Adam Johnson who really excelled after coming off the bench and he will feel he has done enough to earn a start on the weekend. If he does start, it will likely be in the place of Giaccherini.

The rest of the side pretty much picks itself, barring a toss up between Colback and Larsson for the third midfield berth. Long term absentees Carlos Cuellar and Keiren Westwood will not be missed, unless Vito Mannone picks up an injury or gets himself sent off.

Fulham Team News

Dutch goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg is an injury doubt for Fulham, while defender and club stalwart Brede Hangeland looks set to miss out.

Meulensteen has rotated the team heavily since taking charge and has the talents of American forward Clint Dempsey to call upon, after his return to the club on loan from MLS club Seattle Sounders. Sunderland could also find themselves up against former players Richardson and Bent.

Predicted Line-Ups:

ulham: Stockdale; Riether, Hughes, Senderos, Riise; Parker, Sidwell; Duff, Taarabt, Demspey; Bent

Sunderland: Mannone; Bardsley, O'Shea, Brown, Alonso; Cattermole; Larsson, Ki; Johnson, Altidore, Borini

Key Match-Up: Adam Johnson Vs John Arne Riise

If Johnson does start and finds himself up against Riise, there is every chance he can be Sunderland's match winner. Tuesday's performance was hugely encouraging and Sunderland must look to isolate Fulham's full back by getting the ball to Johnson in advanced areas as often as possible.

Recent Form: LWLWD

Loss: Fulham 2-4 Man City (Richardson, Kompany (og); Toure, Kompany, Navas, Milner)

Win: Norwich 1-2 Fulham (Hooper; Kasami, Parker)

Loss: Hull 6-0 Fulham (Elmohamady, Koren (2), Boyd, Huddlestone, Fryatt)

Win: Fulham 2-1 West Ham (Sidwell, Berbatov; Diame)

Draw: Norwich 1-1 Fulham (Snodgrass; Bent)

Last Time Around: Fulham 1-3 Sunderland, 18/11/2012

The last time Sunderland travelled to Craven Cottage, Martin O'Neill was still manager. It feels like a lifetime ago. Fulham dominated the first half and even after Brede Hangeland was sent off Sunderland failed to cause many problems.

In the second half, in form Steven Fletcher gave an improved Sunderland the lead. However, Mladen Petric soon levelled things and despite being down to ten men, Fulham were competing well. A rare Carlos Cuellar goal put Sunderland back in front before a special strike from Sessegnon sealed a second win of the season.

What They're Saying

Gus Poyet

We are trying to look at a quantity of points, around 40, and if you think of the position we are in, we need to win eight games and get a few more points. But it is always important to get those wins as soon as possible so you put yourself in the mix and you put yourself ahead of someone.

We need that to happen soon because we are so close. We didn't have this opportunity two or three weeks ago, but now we have one and we have to put it right ourselves.
Elsad Zverotic (Fulham Defender)

They [Sunderland] are at the bottom right now, but they've shown that they're a very capable side on their day. They beat Manchester United 2-1 in the League Cup this week, and that would have given them a lot of confidence.

Gus Poyet has come in as Head Coach, and he's having a good effect. He has some good players in his side, and we'll have to be very aware of that when they come to Craven Cottage.
Roker Report Predicts

Sunderland have failed to impress in home games against fellow strugglers Aston Villa and Norwich City in recent weeks, while dominant performances away at Villa and West Ham before that could not be converted into three points. Confidence should be high after the midweek victory over Manchester United, but this is Sunderland, a team that followed up an excellent victory at Everton with a dire opening 25 minutes at Cardiff City.

Although Fulham were destroyed by Hull City a couple of games ago, their other recent results will leave them feeling they can win on Saturday. A score draw seems to be on the cards; 2-2.

http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2014/1/10/5292300/preview-crucial-clash-at-craven-cottage?

WhiteJC

René's Sunderland Preview

René Meulensteen sees Saturday's clash with Sunderland in the Barclays Premier League as an ideal opportunity for Fulham to put some distance between themselves and the bottom three.

The Whites could potentially move five points clear of the relegation zone with victory over Gus Poyet's side, and when asked if he views it as a good chance to create some daylight, Meulensteen stated: "Absolutely, that's why it's hugely important. West Ham United was hugely important, which we came out of really, really well with a great result and a good performance, and Sunderland is likewise.

"It's a huge game for us – we know this – it's a huge game for them, too, but the trend has been positive. We've been working well, we've been working hard, the quality has been there and it's starting to pay off and hopefully that will be the same against Sunderland.

"I think Gus has picked up the challenge, like I have, and he's got a clear idea of how he wants his team to play football. So he puts that element into the team and into the players clearly for everybody to see.

"And it's an interesting fact how well they've done in different competitions against really big teams. There's a bit of steel about Sunderland and they're definitely one of the opponents we won't underestimate."

The Craven Cottage encounter could see Fulham record a first league double of the season following on from the opening day victory on Wearside, and Meulensteen admitted he hopes the home following works to his side's benefit.

"It's good for us that it's played at home because it gives you that slight advantage in front of your own fans," he said. "Hopefully that will help us in getting the win. I think the fans have been magnificent for us, I couldn't ask for anything more. I think they've contributed tremendously in helping us to turn things around. Don't believe for one minute that we've turned it around completely, though. We're still in that process, and the fans realise how important a role they've got to play."

A major boost for the Whites going into Saturday's game is the return of Club Captain Brede Hangeland. The long-serving defender has been out following surgery on his right leg, but is in contention to feature against the Black Cats in some capacity.

"Brede's come in to full training with us so he's up for selection in that respect," Meulensteen confirmed. "He's done really, really well and is progressing nicely.

"We haven't made our mind up completely [if he'll start] but I'm very happy he's up there for selection. When people come back from a long injury, the last thing you want is to come back and then go again. We want him to come and stay, so we're very cautious with him.

"The other injury updates are that Maarten Stekelenburg is going to be some sort of a late shout. It will be difficult but it's a late shout because of his ankle. He's trained, he's progressed well, he's responding to treatment. Other than that, Kieran Richardson is back in full training after a little hamstring tightness."

In the eight games played since Meulensteen took the reins at Fulham, performances have been a joy to watch – our trip to the KC Stadium aside – but the Dutchman insisted the hard work is far from over.

"It's a process that you start and it's a process that's never-ending because there's always different challenges ahead of you, no matter where you are in the league," he explained. "There's always another game to win, another opponent to overcome, but the challenge of getting better never stops. The moment you're resigned to that, you go downhill, and I won't let that happen.

"I think you have to make sure that everybody's aware of what we're all into and what we're all trying to achieve and, in general, we all try to achieve the best football we can. We're always making sure, together with the players, that we're process-driven, rather than just result-orientated, because that's very, very dangerous.

"If you get the players to buy into that process and you get them to grow with you to play better football and put in better performances, then hopefully automatically the results will come, and that's what we focus on."

In Friday's press conference, Meulensteen was also questioned on the future of Bryan Ruiz. The Costa Rica skipper has been out of favour in recent weeks, and the Head Coach confirmed that he could be on his way out of Craven Cottage.

"We've allowed Bryan Ruiz to talk to a number of clubs to see if anything can come out of that," he stated. "Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player. I've come in, I've looked at the squad, I've worked with these players.

"I've picked my teams on what I think are the right reasons and motivations and I can also understand Bryan's. He's a good player, he's got a World Cup coming up and he obviously needs to play."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/10/renes-sunderland-preview?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham confirm Bryan Ruiz has been told he can leave

The Costa Rica international is in discussion with various foreign clubs

Bryan Ruiz is in discussion with a number of foreign clubs after being told he can leave Fulham, manager Rene Meulensteen has confirmed. The 28-year-old was the biggest signing of Martin Jol's tenure, arriving at Craven Cottage in 2011 for a fee reported to be £10.6million.

However, Ruiz has rarely lived up to that price tag and the playmaker's indifferent form this campaign has led to Fulham fans to turn on him.

Meulensteen has confirmed the Costa Rica international can leave in January, with Real Betis and a return to the Netherlands amongst the possible destinations.

"The only progress in the transfer market that I can reveal to you is that we have allowed Bryan Ruiz to talk to a number of clubs to see if something can come out of that," he said, speaking ahead of Saturday's match with Sunderland.

"That is really as far as all the progress is concerned.

"I wouldn't call his signing a mistake because at that time it was probably for Fulham the right choice and the right investment.

"Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player. I've come in, I've looked at the squad, worked with these players, I've picked my teams on what I think are the right reasons and motivations, but I can also understand Bryan's point of view.

"He is a good player, has a World Cup coming up and he obviously needs to play, but I can't, like with any other player, guarantee that."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-fulham-confirm-bryan-ruiz-has-been-told-he-can-leave-9051938.html

WhiteJC

Sunderland's ship of improved away form runs aground at Fulham
The Black Cats haven't lost in four on the road, but haven't scored in five of seven away

Four road games without defeat may suggest that the away day maladies that haunted Sunderland in the early part of Gus Poyet's reign have been remedied, but don't be duped by this façade.

At 6/5, Fulham look a great price for the win that will put a nine-point cushion between them and the basement boys. The away side are a beefier 11/5, with the draw an even fatter 12/5, though both chunky prices should be swerved in favour of the less exciting, more rewarding punt on the hosts.

The reason behind this is, despite a recent upturn in fortunes on their travels, Sunderland only picked up one victory, drawing three. Their win came at Everton, largely owing to the fact that the Toffees' keeper Tim Howard was sent off in the 23rd minute, while the 2-2 they earned at Cardiff came after being two goals down and pummelled throughout the match.

Points cobbled at claret pair West Ham and Aston Villa were well-warranted, but the Wearsiders couldn't score in either game. This is an issue the club have lugged around with them for the bulk of Poyet's short tenure and it will resurface to their cost at Craven Cottage.

In the first five road games the Uruguayan manned the rudder for, Sunderland failed to find the back of the net. The three they've managed from his seven away games in total all came in the previous two matches, helping billow their smokescreen of good form. This must encourage a bet on a Fulham clean sheet here at the strong price of 19/10.

The flames of temptation are fed some more gasoline in the form of the Cottagers' head-to-head record with their upcoming adversaries. Rene Meulensteen's men have kept a lid on Sunderland's attempts to sully their sheets in seven of their previous 11 renewals of hostilities.

Only three of these seven have ended in Fulham glory, but those who fancy a fourth will be compensated to the tune of 11/4 should they triumph without conceding this time around.

All odds and markets accurate as of publication's time and date

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/sunderlands-ship-of-improved-away-form-to-run-aground-at-fulham_183351.html

WhiteJC

Team Focus: Sidwell & Parker Key to Fulham's Top Flight Safety

When Fulham fell to a 6-0 defeat at Hull last month, the absence of Scott Parker alongside Steve Sidwell was clear for all to see. Their midfield lacked the bite and experience he brings and it was little shock to see Tom Huddlestone, Jake Livermore and Robert Koren control the game with ease.

His return to the starting XI on New Year's Day saw the Cottagers secure an important 2-1 win over relegation rivals West Ham as the west London side moved out of the bottom 3. The 33-year-old helped himself to an assist in the victory, while he has bettered his WhoScored rating of from that game 7.6 only twice in the Premier League this season, those coming in the 2-1 win over Norwich (8.3) and the 2-1 defeat to Swansea (8.4), games in which he netted.

Many questioned the decision to hand Parker a 3-year contract when he signed from Tottenham last summer due to his age, but alongside Sidwell in the middle of the park, the veteran is showing why the club spent a reported £4m to secure his services. The pairing are currently Fulham's highest rated players this season - Sidwell with a 7.09 and Parker a 6.96 - and while those figures don't rank as highly as the top performers in their position in the league this term, it highlights how crucial a partnership the duo have formed since the latter signed.

Sidwell in particular has benefitted from the all action displays of Parker, leading Fulham's goalscoring charts in the league this season with 4 goals, in the process matching his return from the whole of last term. At present, the duo are averaging the most tackles per game (2.9) of every regular at the club, but what is notable is that this figure for Sidwell has dropped from 3.8 last season.

Evidently, the former Chelsea and Reading ace has seen his role altered following the signing of Parker, allowing him to push higher up the pitch and attack the opposition rather than look to stifle their offensive threat. This is perhaps reinforced in that Sidwell is averaging 0.6 successful dribbles per game, not a high figure, but his most per encounter in the Premier League in the last 5 seasons.

The midfielder has also won possession in the attacking third 4 times this term, a figure bettered only by striker Dimitar Berbatov (5) of every Fulham player this campaign, and suggests that he's operating in a more advanced role at Craven Cottage. With WhoScored strengths of 'ball interceptions' and 'blocking the ball', the former accentuated in his 2.1 interceptions made per game, pressing high up the pitch and winning the ball back benefits his more attack-minded teammates.

With a statistically calculated WhoScored style of play of Fulham's being 'play with width', boasting a player to win the ball further forward would allow for the team to instigate swift attacks on the flanks in the hope of catching out the opposition. Yet, should these offensive moves break down, there is less onus on Sidwell to hastily retreat from the attacking third to resume his position in front of the defence due to Parker sitting deeper.

It's little surprise that Parker has won possession the most times in the midfield (54) and defensive third (60) of every Fulham player this term, highlighting how his role is deeper than Sidwell's. Yet, without the ability to recycle possession successfully, winning the ball back wouldn't be an effective trait to possess, but Parker excels in this capacity and is currently averaging 52.9 passes per game, the most of every Fulham player, at a success rate of 87.1%, in part due to his preference for playing simple but necessary passes.

With a deserved WhoScored strength of 'tackling', Parker is striving to ensure the goalscoring opportunities of opponents are limited, while the frequency and success of his passes are key in keeping the team fluid. More pertinently, this benefits Sidwell, who is able to break forward and add another body in attack.

Moreover, rather than work his way back and see his energy levels sapped, thus limiting his impact higher up the pitch, Sidwell can join the attack safe in the knowledge that Parker is able to provide cover for his compatriot in front of the defence. While a midfield of Sidwell and Parker isn't the most glamorous in football when compared to the likes of Yaya Touré and Fernandinho or Luka Modric and Xabi Alonso, the duo compliment one another and will be key to René Meulensteen's side avoiding relegation.

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/ZNnBRRGj0kuffnwtEjXjkw

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Watford interested in Fulham midfielder Derek Boateng

Derek Boateng: Could be leaving Fulham

Watford are hoping to agree a deal with Fulham to sign Ghana ace Derek Boateng.

Sky Sports understands that the Hornets have made an approach for the 30-year-old midfielder, who has seen his chances limited since moving to Craven Cottage in the summer.

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen is set to sanction the deal, as Boateng is looking for regular first-team football in order to cement his place in Ghana's squad ahead of the World Cup finals.

A number of teams from around the continent have expressed an interest but Watford are hopeful Boateng will elect to stay in England, albeit in the Championship.

"We are looking at a number of options for Derek, and are talking with Fulham to see what the best outcome will be," a spokesman for Boateng's representatives Straight Ace Sports told Sky Sports.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9109624/?

WhiteJC

FULHAM BOSS MEULENSTEEN RULES OUT SIGNING EX-MAN UTD YOUNGSTER RAVEL MORRISON FROM WEST HAM

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen says he will not be trying to sign West Ham's Ravel Morrison – even though he worked with him at Manchester United.

Morrison has got his career back on track at Upton Park this season, but has been linked with a January move away from the relegation-threatened Hammers.

Meulensteen says a switch to Craven Cottage is not on the cards.

He told his press conference: "Ravel is a good player. I know him from my time at the academy in Manchester.

"But I don't want to go down that route."

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2014/01/fulham-boss-meulensteen-rules-out-signing-ex-man-utd-youngster-ravel-morrison-from-west-ham/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham v Sunderland

Fulham host Sunderland Saturday in a pivotal bottom of the table clash. With a chance to claim a magnificent nine points from a possible twelve in the last four matches and distance themselves from the mire of the relegation zone, Rene Meulensteen's club must seize the chance to dispatch a Sunderland side flirting with good form following recent positive cup displays.

With a win Saturday at Craven Cottage over relegation front-runners Sunderland, Fulham could put as many as five points between themselves and the desperation of the relegation zone. Rene Meulensteen surely targeted the run of matches that concludes Saturday as a prime opportunity to drag the club up by its boot straps by heaping misery on Fulham's neighbors at the foot of the table. Six points from four matches would have been the minimum targeted. Seven points would have been wholeheartedly welcomed. Nine points? Ecstacy.

The doom and gloom of the December 28th massacre at Hull has given way to something approaching tepid optimisim as the club has been strongly linked with the sort of vetted players it needs this transfer window (Ryan Bertrand, Johnny Heitinga, etc) and the sort of young talents that, through loan deals or even permanent moves, could provide tremendous upside (Ishak Belfodil, Simon Makienok, etc.).

While the thrashing at Hull laid bare the limitations of the current squad and certainly lit a fire under Rene Meulensteen and Shahid Khan's check book, it also highlighted the enormity of the task ahead and perhaps caused the club to miss out on the likes of Michael Bradley, the USA midfield dynamo who opted for a move from Roma to Toronto FC of the MLS instead of leaping head first into the throes of a relegation scrap.

Even if Fulham can manage points against a recently resurgent Sunderland squad looking to transfer their startling cup form into a bid for Premier League survival, there are still trying days ahead. Fulham have yet to beat any club in the top half of the table and desperately need to improve the squad this transfer window in order to ensure a steady stream of points won against the clubs around them and a realisitc chance at avoiding relegation.

Sunderland, on the other hand, have not been strongly linked with any substantive moves in the transfer window unless of course you count the noise surrounding the possibility of an exit by striker Steven Fletcher. The Black Cats are in dire straits and have the feel of a Wigan redux - savant cup specialists imprisoned in the basement of the Premier League. A win at Craven Cottage and losses by West Ham United and Crystal Palace would pull Gus Poyet's side to the cusp of safety. The reverse would be a death blow.

I would suggest this is Fulham's most important match of the four match league package that began against Norwich City; a chance to either consolidate the improvements made under Meulensteen and kick on to something approaching safety while having a productive transfer window, or an alarming backslide toward the relegation trapdoor.

Fulham are still without Brede Hangeland, but Maarten Stekelenburg could return from his ankle injury and loan signing Clint Dempsey will likely see time following his cup appearance in the 1-1 draw against Norwich City.

Sunderland have no fresh injury concerns, but are still without longterm absentees Carlos Cuellar and Kieren Westwood.

COYW!

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2014/1/10/5294978/preview-fulham-v-sunderland?

WhiteJC

Fulham's record when scoring, and not scoring. Also just how bad are our defenders?

Thanks to Rich for graciously letting me guest post.

Of all the issues plaguing Fulham this season, two have stood out the most for me. First is Fulham's knack for getting a result when scoring 2 or more goals (and lack of results when scoring 1 or less), second is which defenders have been privy to the various shellackings we've received so far.

Fulham's inability to get a result when scoring less than 2 goals is no secret considering our terrible defense. Chances are we're not scoring a lot is because we're chasing games, and it's often more difficult to score when a team is having to chase. Additionally, something I've been saying all season is that a club of our aptitude can't expect to get a result when we're not scoring. We could under Roy, we can't now.

Our record when scoring less than 2 goals:

TEAM   PLD   GF<2   W   D   L   F   A   GD   GFA   GAA       PPG   PTS
Fulham   20   15   2   1   12   9   35   -26   0.6   2.33       0.46   7
For context, the league average for this is .811 PpG; and 9.45 Pts. So we're 16th in Total Pts, but third worst (Swansea and WestHam are T-1st) in PpG. Taking a step back, we're T-13th in amount of games when scoring 1 or less goals, but our terrible PpG shows our inability to "keep it close" and "grind out" draws: in 2008/09 we had 10 draws when scoring less than 2; in 2010/11 we had 12. This season we have 1.

Now here's our record when we score more than 1 goal:

TEAM   PLD   GF>1   W   D   L   F   A   GD   GFA   GAA       PPG   PTS
Fulham   20   5   4   0   1   12   7   5   2.4   1.4       2.4   12
Again for context, the League average is 2.4 Ppg and 12 Pts. Right on par considering we're also T-13th in this category. This stat also shows how terribly our defense has been regressing: in 2008/09 our GAA when scoring more than 1 was .75; under Sparky it was 1.08; even Jol's first season was a .75(!) Last season was an atrocious 1.66, highest since the Coleman days.

So basically if we score more than 1 goal, there's like an 80% chance we'll win. If we score less than 2 goals that drops to 15%. (Now this is when the likes of StatsBomb and James Grayson stumble upon the site and rightfully lambaste me for my terrible arithmetic...)

Second is the Plus−minus (+/-) of the club's Defenders. This stat is widely used in hockey, and even stretching to sports like Basketball and Ultimate Frisbee. It's a bit incongruent in footy because of the numerous variables that don't exist in the former sports (main being the lack of timeouts/substitutions, which can create wide variances). But there have been moments this season when we've thought to ourselves "Boy, Richardson is always playing when we're losing a lot" or "Actually, Senderos might be better than we think". Both are actually true.

PLAYER   APPEARANCES    +/-    +/- PG
Briggs   2   0   0.0
Hangeland   8   -4   -0.5
Reither   16   -6   -0.4
Senderos   11   -6   -0.5
Riise   9   -12   -1.3
Zverotic   4   -14   -3.5
Richardson   15   -15   -1.0
Hughes   13   -15   -1.2
Amorebieta   14   -18   -1.3
Players like Amorebieta, Hughes, and Richardson have been on the field when the opposition is scoring a lot. Hangeland, Reither, and Senderos haven't. Again, this is quite imperfect considering how awful the team was up until about a month ago, and the symbiotic nature of the game: defense is really only as good as the midfield, which is only as good as the forwards. Also, if we don't ever see Zverotic again this might be why.

At some point I'll crunch the numbers for our midfield, and our defenders of past seasons. But this is still quite telling: Hangeland and Senderos need to get healthy ASAP; and boy oh boy do we need a good Left Back.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/fulhams-record-when-scoring-and-not-scoring-also-just-how-bad-are-our-defenders/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen expects tough battle against Sunderland

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen is anticipating another tough battle this weekend against Sunderland as he attempts to steer the side away from danger.

Victory over West Ham on New Year's Day has given the club fresh impetus but Meulensteen is aware his team face another huge test on Saturday.

"West Ham was hugely important, which we came out from really, really well. We had a great result and a good performance," he said.

"Sunderland is likewise. It is a huge game for us, it is a huge game for them, but we are being positive, have been working well and working hard.

"The quality has been there and it is starting to pay off. Hopefully that will be the same against Sunderland.

"It is good for us that it is played at home because it gives you that slight advantage with your own fans, so hopefully that will help us get the win."

Fulham have also received a boost with the news that captain Brede Hangeland could make his first appearance since the 4-1 win at Crystal Palace in October.

The 32-year-old centre-back underwent surgery in December to clear sciatic nerve trouble and Meulensteen said: "Brede is coming with full training with us, so he is up for selection in that respect, so he has done really, really well and is progressing nicely.

"It is up for us to decide whether he is okay to start. We haven't made our mind up completely, but I am very happy that he is up there for selection.

"But when people come back from a long injury, the last thing you want is to come back and then go again. We want him to come and stay, so we will be very, very cautious."

Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg could also return and will have an ankle complaint assessed before the match, while full-back Kieran Richardson is available after hamstring tightness to face his former club.

Bryan Ruiz may well be left out of the squad after Meulensteen confirmed the Costa Rica international can leave in January, with Real Betis and a return to Holland among his possible destinations.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9109781/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sunderland: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Sunderland at Craven Cottage on Saturday Jan 11, 2014, kick-off 15.00 (GMT).

Back at the Cottage: Clint Dempsey (left) is set to make his first home appearance for Fulham, against Sunderland, since returning on loan
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Saturday, January 11, 2014
Fulham v Sunderland
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 GMT.
TV: Highlights, BBC ONE Match of the Day.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Stekelenburg; Riether, Senderos, Amorebieta, Riise; Duff, Parker, Sidwell, Richardson; Dempsey; Berbatov.
Out: Briggs (hernia).
Tests: Hangeland (leg), Stekelenburg (ankle).

Sunderland (Possible, 4-1-4-1): Mannone; Bardsley, O'Shea, Brown, Alonso; Cattermole; Johnson, Larsson, Ki, Giaccherini; Fletcher.
Out: Cuéllar (hip), Westwood (shoulder).

Referee: Lee Mason. Matches: 14, R2 Y46.

Betting: Home 19-20, Away 3-1, Draw 23-10.

Team News
Fulham captain Brede Hangeland could return after a three-month absence in Saturday's clash with Sunderland.

The Norway defender underwent surgery in December to clear sciatic nerve trouble and is back in full training with the Whites.

Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg will have an ankle complaint assessed before the match, while full-back Kieran Richardson is available after hamstring tightness.

Meanwhile, Steven Fletcher is set to keep his place in Sunderland's starting line-up for the Premier League trip to Fulham after shrugging off a slight knock sustained in the midweek Capital One Cup win over Manchester United.

Black Cats boss Gus Poyet does not expect any fresh injury concerns and could keep faith in the side that secured their 2-1 first-leg win, although Adam Johnson is pushing for a recall after being singled out by Poyet for special praise.

Poyet is without midfielder Cabral who has moved to Genoa on loan until the end of the season, while goalkeeper Keiren Westwood remains sidelined with a shoulder injury.

Match Notes
Clint Dempsey's second home debut will only strengthen the growing belief at Craven Cottage that Fulham have turned a corner.

One defeat in the last four games has helped Rene Meulensteen's side put distance between themselves and their disastrous pre-Christmas run.

Sunderland, though, are showing similar signs of improvement and will arrive at Craven Cottage buoyed by the midweek Capital One Cup victory over Manchester United.

Stat of the game: Fulham have kept six clean sheets in their last nine Premier League meetings with Sunderland.

Ian Winrow's prediction: Fulham 1 Sunderland 1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10548191/Fulham-v-Sunderland-match-preview.html