more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (16/01/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 15, 2014, 07:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's £7.5m bid for Morrison and Diame rejected by West Ham

FULHAM have seen a joint £7.5million bid for West Ham pair Ravel Morrison and Mohamed Diame rejected.

Ravel Morrison (left) and Mohamed Diame (right) are wanted by Fulham [EXPRESS]

Rene Meulensteen confirmed that Fulham's offer had been "knocked back", but West Ham are bracing themselves for another approach.

Express Sport exclusively revealed at the weekend that the Cottagers were planning an ambitious double swoop for Morrison and Diame.

And West Ham have now turned down Fulham's initial bid - £4m for Morrison and £3.5m for Diame.

Fulham are expected to make another offer in the next 48 hours, certainly for Morrison.

Fulham progressed to the fourth round of the FA Cup after a comfortable 3-0 victory over Norwich on Tuesday.

And after the victory, Meulensteen revealed the Cottagers' attempts to reinforce their squad had failed.

"Yes we have made an offer, but we got knocked back. It got rejected," he said.

"So we will review the situation and move on. I've left it with our chief executive Alistair Mackintosh. I've explained what I think about the situation, so I have to wait and see.

"Morrison does want to come here. I've known him for a long, long time but we have to wait and see now."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/453974/Fulham-s-7-5m-bid-for-Morrison-and-Diame-rejected-by-West-Ham

WhiteJC

Hangeland hails clean sheet
by DAN on JANUARY 15, 2014

Fulham captain Brede Hangeland was 'very pleased' that his side managed to keep a clean sheet as they progressed to the FA Cup fourth round with a comfortable win over Norwich City in last night's replay.

The Norwegian centre back returned to the heart of the Fulham defence after three months on the sidelines and, alongside the impressive Dan Burn, kept the club's first clean sheet in six weeks. Rene Meulensteen's side went through with goals from Darren Bent, Ashkan Dejagah and Steve Sidwell but Hangeland was the happiest with Fulham's defensive performance, considering how sloppy the side have been at the back in recent weeks.

For sure it's the clean sheet. We've conceded far too many goals and one of our main targets was to keep that clean sheet today so we're very pleased.

We need to find the right balance between attack and defence. Lately we've been conceding too many goals so hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/01/hangeland-hails-clean-sheet/?

WhiteJC

Fulham discuss new bid for West Ham star

Fulham are considering whether to table an improved bid for Ravel Morrison.

Head coach Rene Meulensteen is due to discuss the club's next move with chief executive Alistair Mackintosh after West Ham rejected their offer for the midfielder.

Meulensteen knows the player well as he was part of Manchester United's coaching team when Morrison was at Old Trafford.

And he has made it clear he believes Morrison, 20, wants to leave Upton Park and sign for the Whites.

West Ham do not want to sell, but Meulensteen is hoping an agreement can be reached.

"That's what we're hoping for," said the Dutchman.

"I've left it with Alistair Mackintosh and explained what I think of the situation. I've made my desires clear.

"I'll leave it up to the relevant people to take forward. We'll review it, as I don't know the ins and outs of why the bid was rejected."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-discuss-new-bid-for-west-ham-star?

WhiteJC

Boss Meulensteen to decide on Burn

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen says he faces a decision over Dan Burn's short-term future following the centre-back's performances against Norwich in the FA Cup.

Burn impressed during a recent loan spell at Championship club Birmingham City, who are keen to have him back for the rest of the season.

Meulensteen indicated last week that Burn would be allowed to return to St Andrews, and the 21-year-old is still expected to rejoin the Blues.

But the Dutchman has subsequently suggested that the move is not a foregone conclusion after Burn followed up his promising outing at Norwich with another eye-catching display in Tuesday's replay against the Canaries.

"It's definitely something we're going to review," said Meulensteen.

"He's been a breath of fresh air. He did well in the Norwich away game too and has matured a lot in Birmingham, where he had a very good loan spell.

"Next to Brede Hangeland he looks very comfortable. It's great for Dan to have someone like Brede working alongside him.

"But Dan is also a very bright boy who speaks his mind and that's the sort of thing you look for."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-fulham-boss-to-review-whether-burn-will-rejoin-birmingham-city

WhiteJC

Bryan Joins PSV

The Club can confirm that Bryan Ruiz has joined Dutch outfit PSV Eindhoven on a loan deal until the end of the season.

Having made 14 appearances for the Whites in the current campaign, Ruiz will now link up with Phillip Cocu's side as they aim to improve on their current standing of seventh in the Eredivisie.

Everyone at Fulham would like to wish the Costa Rica captain well during his temporary spell in the Netherlands.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/15/bryan-joins-psv?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham launch bid for Leicester's Liam Moore

Liam Moore: Wanted by Fulham

Fulham have launched a £2million bid for Leicester defender Liam Moore, Sky sources understand.

The 20-year-old centre-back is a product of Leicester's academy and has emerged as one of the best young players outside the Premier League over the past 12 months.

Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham, Everton and Aston Villa are amongst the clubs reported to have scouted the England Under-21 defender in recent months.

Now Fulham are trying to prise him away from Leicester and have made a £2million offer.

Moore has 18 months left on his current deal at the King Power Stadium.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9116821?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss thrilled duo came through Norwich win and available for Arsenal

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen was delighted to see Brede Hangeland and Maarten Stekelenburg return from injury in the 3-0 FA Cup win over Norwich.

The Whites captain has been out for three months after nerve damage affected his right leg, while the goalkeeper has been absent through an ankle knock.

The Dutch boss was delighted to see his captain back and was delighted he came through the game.

"It was a big big boost," he said. "He's done ever so well after surgery.

"He's trained very hard. Sunderland was a bit too early. That's why we pushed him for this game."

Hangeland felt no ill effects during the win over the Canaries and Meulensteen is hopeful he will be available for their trip to league leaders Arsenal on Saturday.

"I don't see why not – he's back now," he added. "Arsenal is a different kettle of fish away from home.

"We'll review the game with Brede and go from there. We will review it and see what he feels."

Fulham had gone seven games without keeping a clean sheet and Meulensteen was delighted to see his side enjoy the first shut-out since the 2-0 win over Aston Villa on December 8.

"My biggest thing was the clean sheet," he said. "I keep saying that to the players.

"If we get clean sheets on the board, we'll climb up the table."

Part of the clean sheet was down to Stekelenburg's save from Nathan Redmond in the third minute.

And Meulensteen was delighted to see the stopper back in action and to have him available for Arsenal.

"Yes, very much so," he said. "It was a very unfortunate injury that he took.

"You think it's not as bad and it takes a bit longer than we think. We're glad to see him back. "It will definitely help [having Hangeland and Stekelenburg back] of course."

Meulensteen also denied reports linking him with West Ham midfielder Mo Diame.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_thrilled_duo_came_through_norwich_win_and_available_for_arsenal_1_3208425

WhiteJC

Man Utd Away

Tickets for our trip to Old Trafford on Sunday 9th February 2014 (4pm) are now available for Members to buy in addition to Season Ticket Holders.

Ticket prices can be found here and supporters are reminded that all Junior Season Ticket Holders and Junior Members are entitled to a free ticket to this match when purchasing alongside an adult ticket.

The Club will again be offering free coach travel to this match on a first-come, first-served basis.

Read more information here and buy today.

If you're interested in signing up to become a Member, you can do so from just £20 for adults and £5 for kids. Get more information on our Membership packages here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/15/copy-of-man-utd-away-tickets?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Liam Moore bid from Fulham rejected by Leicester

Leicester City have rejected Fulham's bid for Liam Moore, Sky sources understand.

Sky Sports revealed on Wednesday that Fulham had lodged a £2million offer for the England Under-21 defender.

However, Leicester have wasted little time in rebuffing Fulham's offer for one of their prized assets.

A host of Premier League clubs have been linked with Moore - a product of Leicester's academy - in recent months, and he has just 18 months left on his current deal.

However, with Leicester one of the favourites for promotion, they will be anxious to fend off any interest in Moore.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9116894/?

WhiteJC

Darren's Verdict

Darren Bent hopes two goals in his last two starts will give René Meulensteen something of a selection quandary ahead of Saturday's game at Arsenal.

Bent opened the scoring in Tuesday night's FA Cup with Budweiser Third Round Replay against Norwich City, before goals from Ashkan Dejagah and Steve Sidwell sealed a fairly comfortable 3-0 win for the Whites at a soggy Craven Cottage.

Having also found the net in the original tie at Carrow Road, Bent's 16th-minute strike in SW6 took his tally for the season to five and he told the official website: "It's always nice to get on the scoresheet and the last two games I've started I've managed to score in both. Hopefully that will continue. I've got a decent record against Norwich and it's always nice being an ex-Ipswich Town player to score against them.

"Norwich came out pretty sharp and they were on top for the first five minutes. Maarten Stekelenburg made a great save and Norwich then hit the bar. But after that we settled down and there was a bit more urgency in our play. After we got the first one that knocked them a bit and then the second goal just before half-time kind of killed the game off."

Sidwell's effort was his third goal in as many games and makes him the Club's leading scorer this season with six - no mean feat for a midfielder at this stage of the campaign.

Bent, though, isn't surprised by his teammate's form in front of goal, stating: "Every season he always seems to chip in with goals here and there. This term he's doing really well, not just with his goals but his all-round game. He's difficult to play against and he's a real driving force for us right now."

The win against Norwich sets up a Fourth Round tie at Sky Bet League One Sheffield United on Sunday 26th February (1pm) and, while the Whites are still in it, Bent admits there's no harm of dreaming of a run in the famous old competition.

"It would be nice," he mused. "The fans would love a day out at Wembley I'm sure, although that's a long way off. If we can keep playing well and put in performances like the one against Norwich then there's no reason why we can't go far. To play in an FA Cup Final would be magnificent. As a kid, the FA Cup was probably the biggest competition in England for me."

Before all that, however, there's the small matter of Saturday's trip to league leaders Arsenal, with Bent keen to keep his place in Fulham's starting XI.

"It would be nice to get a start," he added. "It's always difficult to play against the Arsenal but if we can ride our luck and play well, there's no reason why we can't get something from the game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/15/darrens-verdict?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: West Ham complain to Premier League over Rene Meulensteen comments about Ravel Morrison

West Ham United have made a complaint to the Premier League over comments made by Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen about Ravel Morrison, according to Sky sources.

Speaking on Tuesday night after the FA Cup replay against Norwich, Meulensteen admitted that Fulham had had a bid for Morrison rejected by West Ham.

Meulensteen coached Morrison through Manchester United's youth systems during his time at Old Trafford. West Ham's hackles have been raised because Meulensteen claimed that the player 'wanted' to join Fulham.

"Yes, we did make a bid," Meulensteen said after the 3-0 win over Norwich. "Yes, I think he does want to come.

"He would add pace, power, unpredictability and a real attacking threat. I don't know what the situation is now, because that's left with our director Alistair Macintosh."

United academy product Morrison, who left Manchester in 2012, has impressed at Upton Park this season after a loan spell with Birmingham last term.

If the Premier League deems Fulham are in breach of the rules the club could face a reprimand or fine - it is also possible the case could be referred to the Football Association.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11685/9116945?

WhiteJC

Cup Tickets On Sale

We travel to Bramall Lane to play Sheffield United on Sunday 26th January (1pm) and Season Ticket Holders and Members can now secure their seats. Tickets will go on General Sale from 10am on Friday 17th January.

Season Ticket Holders can attend the match for just £10 for adults and £5 for under-16s, whilst non-Season Ticket Holders can buy their tickets for £15 for adults and £5 for juniors.

Supporters can purchase up to six tickets each online or by calling the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234.

While this is a cup game, the Club will be extending the Premier League offer of free coach travel to Bramall Lane. Travel reservations will continue to be made available at the same time as match tickets and places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis to any supporters who have purchased a ticket for the game. For more information and to book your place please call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/15/cup-tickets-on-sale?

WhiteJC

West Ham, Fulham, and Ravel Morrison: Be careful what you wish for

Rene Meulensteen has confirmed that Fulham have been actively trying to sign West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison, but that the West London club's first bid has been rejected.

"We have put in a bid for Ravel Morrison that has been knocked back.

It's back to Alistair Mackintosh [Fulham chief executive] and we'll see what happens.

Yes, we did make a bid. Yes, I think he does want to come.

"He would add pace, power, unpredictability and a real attacking threat."

(BBC)

It's obvious from those comments that there's been contact between Morrison's agent and Fulham, and that the player's camp are actively trying to engineer a transfer.

What a shame; Morrison has barely played half a season of Premier League football, and he's already making a money-grab – for the first time in his career he's settled, stable, and playing regularly, and yet he's pursuing a horizontal move in the division mid-season.

Reports in the media suggest that the kind of value being discussed for Morrison is in the £5m-£7m range, and while that sounds like a good deal, Fulham fans would have to question what they would really be getting in return. A me-first player with well-documented character and personality issues who, if given the opportunity, will be moving again in the Summer – he's exactly the right type of player for Fulham, but absolutely the wrong sort of person.

I'll go back to what I said in September about Morrison: at what point did anybody think that becoming wealthy and getting a lot of attention was going to make him a better professional?

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/west-ham-fulham-and-ravel-morrison-be-careful-what-you-wish-for/

WhiteJC

Hangeland: Back In Action

Brede Hangeland expresses his delight in overcoming his back injury and believes a cup run can lift the whole Club.

Hangeland: Back In Action

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/15/hangeland-reaction?

WhiteJC

Dan burns bright in heart of Fulham defence

Making an impression: Dan Burn closes in on Steven Whittaker as the Norwich defender lets fly in last night's FA Cup replay at Craven Cottage

Rene Meulensteen's revelation after this victory that Ravel Morrison wants to join Fulham should not draw attention away from the promising performance of young defender Dan Burn.

Burn was an assured presence alongside the returning Brede Hangeland in central defence as Fulham registered only their fourth clean sheet this term.

The 21-year-old was recalled from a loan spell at Birmingham two weeks ago after impressing in the Championship and Meulensteen will now decide whether to keep him at Craven Cottage. On this evidence, Fulham will be keen for Burn to stay and he may even start against Arsenal on Saturday.

Meulensteen has now used five different centre-back pairings since replacing Martin Jol but captain Hangeland and Burn formed an impressive partnership as Fulham booked an FA Cup fourth-round tie with Sheffield United.

"He has been a breath of fresh air," said Meulensteen. "He did well in the away game [against Norwich] and he has matured a lot at Birmingham after a very good loan spell. Next to Brede, he looked very comfortable.

"It is great for him to have someone like Brede alongside him but he is a very bright boy. He is not afraid to speak his mind and it was a very positive performance. It is a big boost to have Brede back as well and it is great to see him come through the 90 minutes so well."

Darren Bent, Ashkan Dejagah and Steve Sidwell scored last night to build some momentum ahead of a tricky run of Premier League fixtures.

Fulham go to Arsenal on Saturday and, after their Cup clash, face Swansea (a) Southampton (h), Manchester United (a) and Liverpool (h). They are one point above 18th place and need a positive return from those games to distance themselves from the bottom three.

Meulensteen said: "Making sure you get into the habit of positive performances is important and keeping a clean sheet was great."

Bryan Ruiz today completed his loan move to PSV Eindhoven as Fulham were linked with a £2million deal for Leicester defender Liam Moore.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/dan-burns-bright-in-heart-of-fulham-defence-9061363.html

WhiteJC

Killing of a flash boy: Ruiz leaves to PSV

Ruiz to PSV.  I'm sure that video's right out of context but seems to resonate to a degree, beyond just being part of Suede's Great Run of Amazing B Sides.  If you missed it, my emotional send off to Bryan was (and still is) here.

Anyway, I didn't see the game last night. As you know, my season ticket was not renewed when we left London so I'm on streams like the rest of you. Last night our internet wasn't working so that was that.

It's funny how withdrawal makes things less real. I have never seen the team play under this manager. I haven't seen any of the youngsters we're all so excited about.  But it's nice they're worming their way into the picture.  3-0 Cup wins don't come along every day, do they?

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/killing-of-a-flash-boy-ruiz-leaves-to-psv/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 Norwich 0

After the 4-1 drubbing inflicted by Sunderland at the weekend, part of me was dreading the FA Cup replay against Norwich last night.

The confidence factor that is normally prevalent in abundance had been drained, gradually; away buy a series of poor results. In fact I`d hazard a guess I`m not alone in that aspect of thought as, along with the apathy the FA Cup appears to be greeted with these days, a mere 11,172 poured through the Craven Cottage turnstiles last night.

But those who did left thankful that their faith in Fulham Football Club hadn`t eroded completely with the lads putting on a polished performance. With Brede Hangeland back in the heart of our defence, we looked solid (although Norwich apart from hitting the woodwork very early on were a poor outfit) and a three goal salvo was enough to land us a 4th round tie away to Sheffield United.

The first of the three goals came in the 16th minute when Darren Bent scored his fifth of the season. Some decent work from Dejagah and Kasami opened up the visitors defence for Bent to finish with some aplomb.

The second of the trio of goals came four minutes before half time when some enterprising work from Kacaniklic ended a Norwich attack, the visitors keeper Bunn panicked when it came to a clearance, Kacaniklic worked the ball back in, a header from Bent assisted and there was Dejagah to make it 2-0.

Two goals to the good at half time, you sensed it would take a minor catastrophe for Fulham to let this one slip away or a great fight-back from Norwich, but neither never really looked like happening and when Sidwell headed him the third goal from close range, the game was well and truly up for the Norfolk side.

The fourth round trip to South Yorkshire, to take on Sheffield United looks a tricky tie but, personally, I`m still reveling in the fact we got through against Norwich and can still dream about a trip to Wembley.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=345567#ixzz2qUr2JYmh

WhiteJC

Rene`s Thoughts on Cup Win

Before the tie against Norwich City last night, our boss, Rene Meulensteen, had hinted that he was going to take the tie seriously and give the FA Cup the respect it deserves.

As it turned out, although Rene made six changes to the side that had lost, emphatically, against Sunderland last time out that proved to be the case.

Speaking to the media afterwards, reflecting on a job well done, our Dutch boss had this to say,

"Nothing positive ever comes out of losing a game. It`s definitely a big boost to go through."

"From a defensive point of view, we kept a clean sheet and that was the biggest thing. I keep telling the players if they keep clean sheets, with the quality we have we will move up the league quickly."

"We are in the next round and the FA Cup is a fantastic competition."

It certainly is and it has been a dream of mine to return to Wembley to avenge that loss, to West Ham, way back in 1975, but there`s still some way to go is there not!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=345568#ixzz2qUrEr371

WhiteJC

Can We Play You Every Week?

It is a song that is sung at almost every ground when the one side inevitably finds themselves easily beating their opposition.

Last night, thankfully, Fulham got back to winning ways when they beat Norwich Coty 3-0 in their FA Cup 3rd round replay.

But looking through the record books, it appears that it was a result that was always going to happen.

You see, it turns out that when it comes to fixtures against Norwich City we`ve won the last 5 we`ve played against them.

Also, in doing so, we`ve managed to score 18 times whilst conceding just the 1.

Like the song says, can we play you every week?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=345569#ixzz2qUrPpRlh

WhiteJC

Fulham hit top gear in win over Norwich City

Fulham forgot their English Premier League struggles to sweep into the FA Cup fourth round with a 3-0 victory over fellow top-flight strugglers Norwich City in a third-round replay.

Fulham, thrashed 4-1 at home by relegation candidates Sunderland on Saturday, cast off the shackles of their league form to hit top gear with a performance full of attacking intent on a cold Tuesday night (local time) at a half-empty Craven Cottage.

They opened the scoring after 16 minutes through former England striker Darren Bent, who found the net from Pajtim Kasami's cross for his second goal in three games having failed to get on the scoresheet in the previous 10.

Ashkan Dejagah fired into the roof of the net to double the London side's lead four minutes before the break and Steve Sidwell made the result safe with a header in the second half to set up a fourth-round clash at Sheffield United.

Holders Wigan Athletic, who shocked Manchester City to win the Cup last season before being relegated from the top flight, were taken to extra time by third tier MK Dons.

Bournemouth beat Burton Albion 4-1 to set up a home clash with Liverpool in the next round while there were also wins for Birmingham City, Kidderminster, Port Vale, Preston North End, Sheffield Wednesday and Watford.

Charlton Athletic and Oxford United drew 2-2 in their third round tie and will face a replay.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/9612439/Fulham-hit-top-gear-in-win-over-Norwich-City?