more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (16/01/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 15, 2014, 07:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Broken nose set to rule Rosicky out of Fulham clash

Arsenal will reset the Czech midfielder's nose following his collision with Gabby Agbonlahor but the club are hopeful that Nacho Monreal has not broken a bone in his foot

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Tomas Rosicky has broken his nose and is set to miss Arsenal's clash against Fulham on Saturday, Goal can reveal.

Scans have shown that the Czech midfielder's nose was displaced when he was caught by a stray elbow from Gabby Agbonlahor as the pair went up for a header in the Gunners' 2-1 over Aston Villa on Monday.

It is understood that Rosicky's broken nose now needs to be reset and he is considered unlikely to make Saturday's league match at Emirates Stadium.

However, there could be some better news for the Premier League leaders regarding Nacho Monreal, the other casualty of Monday's Villa Park clash.

There were fears that the Spaniard suffered a broken metatarsal in a challenge with Ron Vlaar, but Arsenal are hopeful that the scan results they are poised to receive on Wednesday will show only bad bruising to the bone.

Rosicky was left bloodied and bruised following the collision with Agbonlahor, but manager Arsene Wenger held back from blaming the Villa forward in the immediate aftermath of the match.

Wenger said Rosicky had a "bad nose" and explained at the time that the club "don't know if it's broken". He added: "Honestly, I didn't see the elbow, I have to watch it again. [Rosicky]  told me that he got the elbow but he, himself, doesn't know if [Agbonlahor] did it on purpose."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/01/15/4545798/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen will review the future of defender Dan Burn

Dan Burn: Future at Craven Cottage hangs in the air

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen will review the future of defender Dan Burn after he made his senior home debut at Craven Cottage on Tuesday.

The Dutchman was impressed with his performance in their 3-0 FA Cup third-round victory over Norwich City after being recalled from his loan at Birmingham City on 2nd January.

The defender made 28 appearances for the Blues, but for now his fate remains to be decided by Meulensteen who is unsure whether to pitch him out on loan again.

"Dan's been a breath of fresh air. He did well in the Norwich away game," Meulensteen said.

"Him staying here now is definitely something we're going to review, definitely.

"He's matured a lot in Birmingham where he had a very good loan spell and next to Brede Hangeland he looked extremely comfortable.

"The only way that I keep them apart is that he's right footed and Dan's left footed.

"You work with him on the pitch - it's great for someone like Dan to have Brede coming back from that injury so they can work together.

"Dan is a very bright boy, he's not afraid to speak his mind, he talks, and that's the sort of thing you look at, and it was a very positive performance from him."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9117323?

WhiteJC

Etheridge Suffers Set-Back

Crewe pursue other goalkeeper targets after Fulham keeper suffers slight recurrence

Crewe Alexandra may have to look elsewhere for another loanee goalkeeper after primary target Neil Etheridge suffered a recurrence of his thigh injury.

The Fulham goalkeeper has tweaked the problem muscle and it forced him to miss last night's FA Cup tie against Fulham. He had been deputising for the current number David Stockdale as the Dutch International Maarten Skekelenburg is also out injured.

Steve Davis hinted yesterday that if there was any further delay in trying to re-signing Etheridge, he would have to revisit the loan market for a possible goalkeeper.

The Crewe boss wants a more experienced goalkeeper to assist his young England goalkeeper Ben Garratt.

Read more at http://www.crewealex.net/news/article/etheridge-suffers-set-back-1294218.aspx?#5MIMEJjHd1xtB6rQ.99

WhiteJC

New Lines & Further Reductions

The Great Save! sale just got better, with new lines added and further reductions for Whites fans to take advantage of.

Don't miss out on fantastic savings such as the adidas Fulham Team Bag (pictured, was £24.99, now £14.99), as well as new kidswear lines, including the adidas Fulham Kids Full Zip Hoody and Pants (was £27.99, now £9.99).

Shop for amazing bargains in the Great Save! sale today online, direct on 0843 208 1223 or come and see us at the Stadium Store.

What's more, if you spend more than £75 online then you'll get your shopping delivered free of charge!*

*Free delivery offer valid on UK Standard Delivery with an online spend of £75 or more.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/15/new-lines-further-reductions?

WhiteJC

Darren Bent urged to perform by Fulham boss

Darren Bent has been urged to keep his eye for goal in focus by Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen, after helping to fire the Cottagers into The FA Cup Fourth Round.

The England striker has been in and out of the Fulham team this season, but Tuesday night's opening goal against Norwich City was his fifth of the campaign.

And head coach Meulensteen was impressed by Bent's performance over the two Cup ties, which saw him score at both Carrow Road and Craven Cottage.

"I thought he was excellent, and that's what we want him to do," said Meulensteen after their 3-0 win.

"He scored away from home in this round of The Cup at Norwich, and he's scored again.

"The only way for Darren to get more and more of those performances in is to keep doing what he did there."

The former Spurs, Sunderland and Aston Villa man hasn't featured for England in over two years, with his last cap coming in a game against Sweden at Wembley in November 2011.

But Meulensteen has challenged the 29-year-old to keep the form shown on Tuesday night over the rest of the campaign and beyond.

"If he does put that kind of performance in, the more and more likely it is that we're going to use him," he added.

"That's what you want as a manager - you want the players to push each other and give you decisions to make."

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2014/jan/meulensteen-urges-darren-bent-150114?#OeCIx585twOY3qvM.99

WhiteJC

Inside The Emirates

Fulham make the trip to North London to face Arsenal at the Emirates on Saturday (3pm). We caught up with Gunners fan Connor Deacon to get his take on the Barclays Premier League encounter.

We've entered the second half of the season and Arsenal are still very much in the running for the title. Could this be your year?

I think we're in with a chance, and that's the important thing. We're competing at the top and that's what we wanted. We've played some fantastic football in the process and will continue to do so. We go into Saturday's game in top spot and, while there's plenty of football to play, I think we'll be there or thereabouts at the end. Manchester City look very strong, while you can never rule Chelsea out either. Liverpool have improved massively, so I think they too could push themselves into contention. Whatever happens, it's going to be an exciting race to the finish.

Fulham got an important result in midweek in the FA Cup with Budweiser and will be hoping to carry that momentum into Saturday's game. Have you seen much of the Whites this season?

I've seen a fair bit of them this term. I was at Craven Cottage for the reverse fixture in August when we won 3-1. I also watched the game against Norwich City in the week, and I thought Fulham played really well - they were comfortable from start to finish. Over the years my friend has taken me to the Cottage, and I was at the game when they beat Aston Villa in December. It's been a strange season for Fulham but, from what I've seen, I think they'll be fine. The win in midweek will have given them a massive boost, but a trip to the Emirates isn't easy!

So what sort of game are you anticipating?

Fulham have proved a tough opponent for us in recent seasons, and I don't think Saturday will be any different. Last season, they got a 3-3 draw in what was a very entertaining encounter. It was a fantastic game. Fulham seem to play very well against us and we'll have to be on our toes.

How big a loss will Theo Walcott be? We saw a bit of his likely replacement, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, at Motspur Park last week when he turned out for your Under-21s - are you confident he can start where Theo left off?

I'm a huge fan of Theo. He's had his critics but, for me, I think he's a devastating mix of pace and clever movement. More recently, he's added goals to his game and I think he's really established himself as a key player for Arsene Wenger. On his day, he's a genuine match-winner – there's no doubt about that. It looks like he'll be out for six months, which is very sad. But that's football, and it's a chance for someone else to show what they can do. You'd expect that person to be Oxlade-Chamberlain, who himself has just returned from injury. Like Theo, he's got pace, can play down either flank and can take players on. He's arguably a bit more powerful, and if he can develop in a similar fashion we'll have a great player on our hands. He'll be looking to make an impact, and I think he will.

Which players have stood out for Arsenal this season?

Aaron Ramsey has not only been one of the standout players of our team, but one of the standout players in English football. I think he has 13 goals in 27 appearances this term, which is an amazing return for a midfielder. The two central defenders, Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker, have impressed, while Jack Wilshere continues to develop into a world-class player. Wojciech Szczesny has been a steadying influence in goal, and Serge Gnabry has emerged as an exciting talent.

There's been a lot of talk about Koscielny and Mertesacker – just how good is that central defensive partnership?

We all know that we've had some defensive insecurities in recent years, but these two have gone a long way in establishing that steely reputation of old. As has been pointed out, we haven't lost a game when Koscielny and Mertesacker have completed 90 minutes together. That's 28 games, 20 of which have ended in victories. They work so well together; Koscielny is tough and puts himself about, while Mertesacker is so cool and composed on the ball. You'd be hard pushed to find a better partnership in the Premier League right now.

Which visiting players do you think could provide the biggest threat for your team on Saturday?

Despite turning out for Tottenham Hotspur, I've always rated Scott Parker. His effort and determination is so impressive, and he just drives teams on. I'm surprised he's not in the England squad, because I think he's certainly good enough. He'll be key to how Fulham's season unfolds. Steve Sidwell, an Arsenal old boy, always seems to play well against us, and we'll have to be aware of his runs into the box from midfield because he's got a knack of popping up with a goal. Brede Hangeland made a welcome return to the Fulham side in the week, and he's someone that never fails to impress me. Like Parker, the big man's contribution over the remainder of the season will be invaluable.

The January transfer window has opened. Who would your dream signing be?

Our need for a striker has been well documented and I think that has to be our area to focus on. I don't think we'll have a chance of luring Luis Suarez, that boat has sailed. I'd be very happy to bring in Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid, but I'm not sure how willing his team will be to part with one of Europe's in-form strikers. Real Madrid's Karim Benzema has been linked, as has his teammate Alvaro Morata. I'd be keen on the latter, because I think Wenger could help develop him into a fantastic striker. But I think we need a player that can come in and make an immediate impact in front of goal, so step forward Radamel Falcao. The Colombian is rumoured to be unhappy at Monaco, and if we can bring him in he could be the man to lead Arsenal to glory. Failing that, his former FC Porto strike partner, Jackson Martinez, would also be a welcome addition.

What's the best thing about a trip to the Emirates?

I might be biased, but the Emirates is one of the best stadiums in the country – it really is first class. If you haven't been before, than I'd certainly recommend it as a ground to visit. The pitch is immaculate and you're almost always guaranteed a decent game of football. I'm not a big fan of some of the modern stadiums that we see these days, but the Emirates really is state-of-the-art.

Can you recommend a good place for the Fulham fans to grab a pint before the game?

The Drayton Arms in Highbury is always very popular with away fans and that would be my recommendation. But there are lots of different pubs in Finsbury Park so Fulham fans will have a lot of options. 

What are your standout memories from games between the two sides from the past?

We've got a good record against Fulham and, while games have been tighter lately, they weren't always that way. Our games against the Whites during the 2005/06 season were particularly fruitful. The 4-1 home win was certainly memorable because Pascal Cygan scored twice - you know it's a good day when that happens. The great Thierry Henry grabbed the other two, after Claus Jensen had put Fulham in front. We then won 4-0 at Craven Cottage, with Henry netting another double in what was a master class in ice-cool finishing. Emmanuel Adebayor and Cesc Fabregas were also on target.

Can we move you into making a score prediction for the match ahead – how will this one finish?

I can only see this ending in a home win - sorry Fulham fans! That said, I think this might be a tight one. I can see an Arsenal goal coming towards the start and the end of the match, so 2-0 to the Gunners.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/15/inside-the-emirates?

WhiteJC

Stoke and Fulham fight for QPR winger

Stoke City's hopes of brining in Queens Park Rangers winger Shaun Wright-Phillips have hit a snag because the player is unwilling to uproot from London, Sports Direct News understands.

The 32-year-old has a young family and is settled in the capital, which puts fellow suitors Fulham in the driving seat to secure his signature.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/stoke-city-fc-transfer-news/38444-stoke-and-fulham-fight-for-qpr-winger.php#.UtbieP0cKbA

WhiteJC

Cottagers keen on Magpies wideman

Fulham could make a move for out-of-favour Newcastle United winger Gabriel Obertan after Cottagers head coach Rene Meulensteen set his sights on younger flair players for his side.

Jet-heeled Obertan played under Meulensteen when the Dutchman was Sir Alex Ferguson's first-team coach at Manchester United.

At 24-years-old, he fits the criteria the Fulham coach has drawn up for the January transfer window, as he looks to overhaul an ageing and under-performing squad.

It is understood that a loan move is the London outfit's preferred option this month, with a view to a permanent deal in the summer if they secure their Premier League status.

However, if the funds are available to seal a permanent move now, it is hard to see Newcastle manager Alan Pardew turning down the opportunity to sell the Frenchman, who rarely figures in his first-team plans.

Obertan's switch to Fulham hinges on the progress Meulensteen makes with his other targets, including Queens Park Rangers wideman Shaun Wright-Phillips.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/fulham-fc-transfer-news/38446-cottagers-keen-on-magpies-wideman.php#.Utbi4P0cKbA

WhiteJC

Were Fulham right to let Bryan Ruiz go out on loan?

Fulham have confirmed that playmaker, Bryan Ruiz, has joined Dutch side PSV Eindhoven on loan for the remainder of the season but will they regret letting him depart?

Bryan Ruiz is returning to Dutch football, where he made his name at FC Twente before Fulham signed him for an undisclosed fee in August 2011.

SEE ALSO: Why would Ravel Morrison want to swap West Ham for Fulham?

The 28-year old links up with Phillip Cocu's PSV Eindhoven until the end of the season, who currently sit seventh in the Eredivisie.

The Costa-Rican will be desperate to get some regular football under his belt before the World Cup in the summer, in which he is set to captain the nation team in Group D alongside Uruguay, Italy and England.

"It's true I didn't have much playing time at Fulham lately, so I see this as a great opportunity for me" Ruiz said.

Name   Team   Goals    Assist   Apps   Mins
Bryan Ruiz   Fulham   1   3   12   773
He has made just 12 league starts for Fulham this campaign, and has only played 63 minutes under new boss Rene Meulensteen. The Dutch manager was evidently not Bryan Ruiz's biggest fan but the decision to loan him out is a strange one.

Ruiz had only managed one goal all season, and that was back in September when Fulham lost 2-1 at home to Cardiff. Although he had managed to create 15 chances this season for a struggling Fulham side, grabbing three assists in the process.

It is bewildering that the Cottagers were happy to allow Ruiz to help PSV try and climb the Eredivisie rather than helping Fulham get out of their trouble as they currently sit in 16th, just one point above the relegation zone.

His flair and attacking play is what Fulham are in need of as they must score more goals if they are to avoid the drop. The West-London outfit have managed just 22 goals so far, ten fewer than they had at the same stage last season.

Adel Taarabt has started four of Fulham's last five Premier League games under Meulensteen, and he will be expected to offer the spark that they need. Although the man on loan from QPR has managed just one assist and is without a goal in the same number of games as Ruiz had played.

It will be interesting to see if Fulham bring anyone in to play behind the striker, following reports of a failed move for West Ham's Ravel Morrison.

Perhaps Meulensteen has a replacement lined up, but for now, it appears a brave move to allow the Costa-Rica captain to leave - one that may come back to haunt them.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/01/15/were-fulham-right-to-let-bryan-ruiz-go-out-on-loan/?

WhiteJC

Fulham in FA Cup 4th round

LONDON - Fulham overwhelmed fellow English Premier League strugglers Norwich 3-0 at Craven Cottage yesterday to move into the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Former England striker Darren Bent scored Fulham's opener before setting up Ashkan Dejagah's decisive second goal as Norwich's winless run stretched to eight matches.

Steve Sidwell scored Fulham's third goal shortly before the hour to leave the Cottagers with a fourth-round tie against third-tier Sheffield United.

Fulham captain Brede Hangeland was delighted following last weekend's 4-1 league defeat by Sunderland.

"We need to find the right balance between attack and defence. Lately we've been conceding too many goals so hopefully this is a step in the right direction."

Elsewhere, non-league Kidderminster Harriers won through to a fourth-round tie with EPL outfit Sunderland after a 3-2 replay victory away to third-tier Peterborough United.

Tommy Rowe gave Peterborough an early lead but two goals in four minutes after halftime from Michael Gash and Jack Byrne turned the tide in Conference club Kidderminster's favour.

Britt Assombalonga's penalty levelled the scores with 16 minutes to go but, two minutes later, Joe Lolley scored Harriers' winner.

Kidderminster are the only non-league side left in this season's FA Cup after Macclesfield suffered a 4-1 defeat by Championship side Sheffield Wednesday, who made it 10 goals in two matches after their 6-0 thrashing of Yorkshire rivals Leeds United.

FA Cup holders Wigan needed extra time to see off Milton Keynes Dons 3-1 in a third-round replay at Stadium MK and avoid becoming only the second holders of the trophy to go out in the third round the following season.

Luke Chadwick put the Dons ahead in the 10th minute and it was a lead they held until 11 minutes from time before Nick Powell, on loan from Manchester United, equalised.

In extra time, Powell scored again before Marc-Antoine Fortune sealed Wigan's victory.

Manchester City, last season's losing finalists, face second-tier Blackburn Rovers in a third-round replay on Wednesday.

Bournemouth will welcome English giants Liverpool to the south coast in the fourth round after a 4-1 win over fourth-tier Burton Albion.

Two goals from Brett Pitman and strikes from Ryan Fraser and captain Tommy Elphick - a Liverpool fan - set up a dream tie for the Championship club.

FA Cup third-round results:

Fulham 3, Norwich 0

Birmingham 3, Bristol Rovers 0

Bournemouth 4, Burton Albion 1

Charlton Athletic 2, Oxford United 2

MK Dons 1, Wigan 3

Peterborough United 2, Kidderminster Harriers 3

Plymouth Argyle 2, Port Vale 3

Preston 3, Ipswich 2

Sheffield Wednesday 4, Macclesfield Town 1

Watford 2, Bristol City 0

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=257132

WhiteJC

The View From South Texas — Fulham FC v. Norwich City FA3 Replay

by HatterDon

Up for the Cup
Yesterday – yes, I know, not my usual publishing speed – Fulham roasted an all-at-odds Norwich City at half-empty Craven Cottage and sent them down the mine in search of a Canary and out of the FA Cup.

Bouncing back from perhaps the most embarrassing league result in recent memory, Fulham controlled the action almost from the beginning and ran out 3-0 winners. It was much easier than the scoreline indicated. Yes, young Murphy started again and caused Riether some problems early on, but also early on Norwich displayed a tactical flaw. Passes upfield out of defense were tentative and to zone rather than to player. What was needed here was a greedy opponent – preferably a young winger – to capitalize on this weakness. In Alex Kacaniklic, Fulham have such a young winger, and he purloined passes all match. Fulham also showed a desire to press Norwich's defense and midfield all evening, which made it easier for the Whites to turn toothless City attacks into ruthless Fulham attacks.

Fulham's first goal combined two wingers, a center mid and a fullback, but was scored by our much maligned striker Darren Bent. Bent's not the most industrious chap ever to wear the black and white, but he knows what to do with a cross and a distracted defense. Fulham's second came from the Andrew Johnson playbook. Bent stretched out the defense by going wide, Kacaniklic moved to the right wing further confusing them, and found right winger Ashkan Dejagah racing into the penalty area like an Iranian Clint Dempsey. Two crosses, two easy conversions. What next?

Well, it wasn't immediately next, but Fulham's third goal came from a cross hammered into the back of the net by the White's own special one Iniesta. How sad is it when your leading goalscorer is a central midfielder and you have two proven goalscorers in your striker corps? Pretty sad, but just imagine how poor our season would be if we didn't have Sidwell out there – match after match – winning the ball, supporting the attack, and converting chances. Yeah, just imagine ... we might be playing crap match after match and finding ourselves in the middle of a relegation struggle.

Hey, wait a minute ... .

Individually? This match was my first look at Dan Burn. I liked what I saw. I think he's better than any CB we have on our books and should stay. Yes, I noticed that Hangeland was back, but I also noticed that he was still tentative and slow on the turn. It might be a fitness thing, but I think Fulham supporters are kidding themselves if they believe that they'll ever see the Hangeland that was the Rock of Defensive Ages.

Generally speaking, starting Special K and Super Iranian made Fulham instantly better. Two attack minded wide players increase the threat of Darren Bent significantly. I'm not all that sure about Karagounis as the protector of the back four, however. Despite the fact that I've seen several shouts for him to be man-of-the-match, I though him most responsible for Norwich's early attacking moves in each half. He dwelt on the ball and conceded possession leading to almost every threat to the Fulham goal. Oh, and speaking of which Stekelenberg was back, and impressed me not at all. I thought Richardson showed why he should be first choice LB, but I haven't figured out what Rene wants his sides to do yet, so I'm not predicting.

Finally, I was pleased to see Tankovic, Dembele, and Christensen get minutes. The highlight of the match for me was watching Dembele muscle Bassong out of the play and retain possession. I don't think City's central defender has had that sort of treatment from many teenagers.

All it all, it was a very good win and round four sends us to darkest Yorkshire to face Sheffield United. If we continue to use youngish players in the Cup, there's no reason why we shouldn't continue to look better in that competition than in the league. Or, maybe our leadership triumvirate will see the benefit in using the youth in the league as well. Well, perhaps.

HatterDon's Man of the Match – With a special salute to Alex Kacaniklic who set the tone of the match early on, the non-existent Shiner Bock keg goes to Steve Sidwell for being an old-fashioned English box-to-box midfielder. Well done you!

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=470

WhiteJC

Fulham hoping to agree an audacious deal with Man Utd

Premier League side Fulham are hoping to scupper Sporting Lisbon's move to land Manchester United winger Nani on loan. Reports in The Daily Express reveal that the Cottagers are looking to acquire the services of the Portuguese to help them avoid relegation this season, with their manager Rene Meulensteen hoping to pull some old strings to make the move a success.

Nani has failed to impress much under new manager David Moyes and is consequently expected to be offloaded this month, with the boss unwilling to place his faith in the player anymore. The likes of Juventus and Sporting Lisbon have been reported willing to take the player aboard with the Portuguese side now believed to be on the verge of landing him on loan.

Meanwhile, Fulham will try to pour cold water on the hopes of Sporting by landing Nani this winter. The Cottagers are understood to be on the verge of offloading Costa Rican Bryan Ruiz to PSV Eindhoven which will in turn create place for the Red Devils winger in their squad. Also, with reports of Sporting having not formally approached United for the player doing the rounds, the Premier League side will certainly hope to grab him before other suitors enter the frame.

http://footylatest.com/fulham-hoping-to-agree-an-audacious-deal-with-man-utd/52811?

WhiteJC

Why Rene Meulensteen should not be punished for his Ravel Morrison comments

If a rousing 3-0 victory over Norwich City wasn't enough for Fulham fans this week, Rene Meulensteen whetted our January appetites by claiming a bid had been made for West Ham United's Ravel Morrison.

It was rejected outright, and in some corners has been described as 'derisory' and 'insulting' in its value. But it was the intention that caught some of us off guard. Fulham, bidding for a player? A young, sought-after one at that? Audacious.

But the joy was short lived with West Ham now complaining to the Premier League over Meulensteen's apparent 'tapping up' of their star youngster.

The evidence is there, unfortunately, for all to see. 'Yes,' he said, responding to questions after sailing through to the 4th round of the FA Cup without a whimper in resistance from Norwich City. 'I think he does want to come.'

That, I'm afraid, is really quite brazen. But should we be punished?

The short answer is, naturally, yes. Justice must be seen to be done. Yet in a legal landscape, where precedence has the final say, surely a ticking off is as bad as it should get for our humble club.

For that's what Liverpool received for their rather ballsy attempt to lure Clint Dempsey to Anfield in 2012. The company that owns the Merseyside club even went to the extent of publishing a press release on their website welcoming the American to Liverpool.

Did our complaint against them, made in September of that year, get very far? Not at all.

That's not to excuse Meulensteen, of course, who has been both naive and foolish with his indiscreet spewing.

There are certain ways in which our club – most clubs in fact – handle itself and the open door policy on transfer ramblings is not one of them. We normally keep our business quiet at Craven Cottage, and that is probably the best way.

Meulensteen though has brought a touch of the Sir Alex Ferguson with him with this latest trick.

There are many Ferguson mannerisms that we'd be quite content to witness from our new boss, but this really isn't one of them.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/15/why-rene-meulensteen-should-not-be-punished-for-his-ravel-morrison-comments-4263825/?

Count Berbatov

can you imagine if you got Nani! That would be awesome. IMO he's been rotated too much and suffered from that. He's very good at almost everything. He can finish, he can cross, he can beat his man. Even his decision making is getting better. Great with both feet.. He's gifted in so many ways. Hope Rene gets him convinced.
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

leonffc

Quote from: Count Berbatov on January 16, 2014, 04:57:19 AM
can you imagine if you got Nani! That would be awesome. IMO he's been rotated too much and suffered from that. He's very good at almost everything. He can finish, he can cross, he can beat his man. Even his decision making is getting better. Great with both feet.. He's gifted in so many ways. Hope Rene gets him convinced.

Never ever liked him and am still fuming the way he was goading the Johnny Haynes stand (with no punishment) after a shocking dive when we won the other year. BUT if he has his heart on his Fulham sleeve then he would certainly do a job!!

Further up the news we are linked with Obertan and SWP.  :58:  Either of those and I will be straight down the bookies lumping on us for relegation!!

K33NY

AH I dislike Nani so much, yes he has skills though its just hes attitude and personality.......

OdecaMynoT

Quote from: K33NY on January 16, 2014, 07:28:19 AM
AH I dislike Nani so much, yes he has skills though its just hes attitude and personality.......

He's like a 'Happy Shopper' version of Ronaldo. I can live with that if his coming gets us out of the mire.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

WhiteJC

Fulham Make Offer For To Sign Livorno Striker On Loan

Fulham have made an offer of €2 million in an attempt to land Livorno striker Paulinho on loan for the remainder of the season.

The striker has been one of the few bright spots for the Amaranto this season, leading the club with six goals in 18 appearances despite sitting in 19th place.

Sky Sport report that the London club have offered €2m to sign the Brazilian on loan for the remainder of the season.

Arsenal have also been linked with a move for the 28-year-old in the past, though it is believed Livorno will more than likely keep hold of their most important player as they look to avoid relegation.

Paulinho played a key role in the Amaranto's Serie B campaign last season, scoring 23 goals in 47 matches as they achieved promotion to Italy's top flight.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2014/01/fulham-make-offer-for-to-sign-livorno-striker-on-loan/?

WhiteJC

Scouting preview ahead of the next game: Fulham

I have a very good friend who, for his sins, has been a Fulham supporter since he was knee high to a grasshopper.  As a season ticket holder he is entitled to buy up to four extra tickets for selected home games before they go on wider sale so a while ago he asked if I wanted to go to watch Fulham v Sunderland and as we had no home game on 11 January, and Fulham were about to put in an appearance at the Emirates, so I said yes – more as a chance of catching up with him than in any expectation of a good game of football I might add.  The ticket was in the Putney end and cost the princely sum of £10, a good way of rewarding the Fulham faithful.

If you haven't been to Craven Cottage, let me explain.  It is an old fashioned ground, quite small and all supporters are close to the pitch which itself is somewhat smaller than we are used to at the Emirates.  The Putney end is designated as Mixed in that it has both home and away supporters.  I had Fulham fans to my front and right and Sunderland to my left and behind and all were very well behaved throughout.  The official Away supporters area is at the left hand side of the stand facing the pitch.

The ground backs onto the Thames on one side, was built in the 19th century on what was a wilderness, and received its first major upgrade in 1905, just as the Chelsea ground along the way was being built.  Rather amusingly the same architect (who also took on the role of what later became known as the "clerk of the works") ran both projects simultaneously.   He was one Archibald Leitch.

Anyway to the game, Fulham lined up as follows :-

Stockdale; Riether, John Arne Riise; Sidwell; Senderos, Amorebieta; Duff (Dejagah 68′); Parker; Berbatov; Taarabt (Kasami 63′), Dempsey (Bent 79′)

They were somewhat under strength at the back with Stockdale, their No 2 goalkeeper, starting and Senderos starting in place of Hangerland, who has been missing for a long time (yes the same Senderos who was always an accident waiting to happen when he was on Arsenal's books a few years ago).  Riise is the regular left back and is starting to show his age.  Dempsey is back with Fulham on a two month loan from MLS.

Sunderland were :-

Mannone (well known to Fulham fans following his heroics for Arsenal was it two or three years ago), Bardsley, O'Shea, Brown, Alonso, Johnson (Celustka 88′), Cattermole, Colback, Ki, Borini (Larrson 75′) and Fletcher (Altidore 66′).

Fulham started brightly, knocking the ball about confidently and provided Berbatov with two excellent opportunities to score, a header first that he failed to get any proper kind of contact on and it went straight into the ground before being grabbed by Mannone.  A few minutes later an even better opportunity but he missed his kick horribly and the ball went out for a goal kick.

After 20 or so minutes Sunderland started to come into it more and the game became far more even.   In minute 28 Johnson was fouled and took a great free kick from 20 yards or so which beat Stockdale despite him getting both hands to it (0-1).

In minute 30 Bardsley showed what an idiot he is by kicking the ball away well after Mr Dean had blown his whistle and went into the book (stupid and unnecessary yellow card).   In minute 36 the card count was equal as Sidwell went into the book and in Minute 40 Fulham were two one in this score as Riise lunged at Borini  (this was at the opposite end of the ground to where I was seated and I thought it could easily have been a red, but the replay on MOTD indicated that a yellow was probably adequate – just).

In Minute 41 Ki doubled Sunderland's lead following another free kick (0-2).  That just about wrapped up the first half – Fulham on top in terms of possession but lacking a clear cutting edge and let down by conceding free kicks in dangerous positions which they failed to defend properly.

In the second half again Fulham started brightly and in Minute 51 their pressure resulted in a corner, Duff crossed and Sidwell, unmarked, headed home (1-2), poor defending from Sunderland.

In minutes 59 and 60 the yellow card swapping continued with Colback and Parker going into the book.  The Parker one was after a good piece of refereeing when Dean allowed a good advantage leading to a Sunderland shot and then the booking was made when play stopped.  Fair play to Dean for that one.

In Minute 69 the two goal cushion was reinstated as Johnson slotted in from Ki's pass (1-3).  Till then the second half was really end to end stuff with Fulham on top in terms if possession and intent.  The scoring ended in the 88th minute when Senderos clumsily collided with Altidore in the penalty area, Dean thought about it then awarded the spot kick.  Johnson sent Stockdale the wrong way and hit a solid penalty, to get his hat-trick, to the left hand side of the goal (1-4).

Fulham didn't do nearly enough to win the game and were always at risk on the break.  Whilst they had the greater part of possession, most of it was in areas where Sunderland were quite content to sit back behind the ball and watch the ball passing sideways in front of them.  Riise was too slow, and Senderos and Amorbietta frequently caught out of position.  Senderos, in particular always looked likely to be beaten and was bullied/tormented by Altidore once he came on.

In the middle of the park, Parker tried valiantly but his fellow midfielders gave little support, Taarabt tried hard and offered the most endeavour but again with little end result.  Dempsey was his usual energetic self, but at times was frustrated with lack of movement around him.  Berbatov was interested for the first 20 minutes or so but his finishing was woeful, after that he was a peripheral figure for the rest of the game.  Bent came on for Dempsey in the79th minute but hardly had the ball.

So what, if anything, do Arsenal have to look out for at the weekend?

Fulham looked like an ageing team, they were slow in movement and thought and really struggled to cope with Sunderland's counter attacking and we can certainly do that better than the bottom team in the league.

With all respect to Johnson, if he can create as much damage as he did from the right hand side, Gnabry, Rosicky or The Ox should have a field day.

And if Senderos/Amorbietta couldn't control Altidore they certainly will have bigger problems with Giroud.

Man for man our midfield is much younger, faster and technically competent than Fulham.

The biggest threats are likely to come from Taarabt and Dempsey, if they can get their radars synchronised in time.  Our midfielders will have to be wary of these two.

Berbatov was slow and ponderous every time he had the ball, he certainly isn't any kind of answer to any need we might or might not have for a new striker.  Give me either of Giroud or Bendtner every day of the week, both work far harder and don't act as 'ball hogs'.  I'm sure Berby will fit nicely in the pockets of either of Kos or Mert.

Bent looked overweight and lacking in fitness and must soon end his fortune in scoring against us.

In short and based on this performance from Fulham,  I would regard the game as one where we should get all three points quite comfortably.  Always discounting untoward influences of course.

COYG

http://blog.emiratesstadium.info/archives/33618?

WhiteJC

Ex-Quaker may stay at Fulham

FULHAM are considering keeping former Darlington defender Dan Burn at Craven Cottage despite Birmingham City wanting to re-sign him on loan.

Boss Rene Meulensteen was impressed with 21-year-old Burn's composed performance as he made his senior home debut in Tuesday's 3-0 FA Cup third-round replay victory over Norwich City.

It was his second game for Fulham, his first earlier this month triggered a clause in his contract which meant Quakers received a £75,000 payment.

Darlington will receive more money if the Blyth-born defender reaches a certain amount of first-team appearances, so Meulensteen's words of praise will be well received by Quakers.

The Dutch boss has admitted Fulham will weigh up whether to send the former Quakers centre-back out on another loan, or pitch him into league action with the Cottagers.

"Dan's been a breath of fresh air. He did well in the Norwich away game," the Fulham manager said.

"Him staying here now is definitely something we're going to review, definitely.

"That's a different challenge from playing at home, but he's matured a lot in Birmingham where he had a very good loan spell.

"And next to Brede Hangeland he looked extremely comfortable.

"The only way that I keep them apart is that he's right footed and Dan's left footed.

"You work with him on the pitch - it's great for someone like Dan to have Brede coming back from that injury so they can work together.

"Dan is a very bright boy, he's not afraid to speak his mind, he talks, and that's the sort of thing you look at, and it was a very positive performance from him."

Blyth-born Burn made 28 appearances in his loan stint at Birmingham in the first half of the season, before being recalled by Meulensteen on January 2.

Blues boss Lee Clark remains keen on another loan deal for Burn.

Meanwhile, Darlington supporters have been praised for turning up in their droves to watch last weekend's win at Harrogate Railway Athletic.

Although the match was Darlington's shortest away journey of the season, the crowd of 1,026 exceeded estimations and the vast majority left happy after seeing promotion-chasing Quakers win for the eighth time in their last nine games.

Prior to the game, Darlington officials had advised police to expect around 500 fans, but the game saw an estimated 900 make the trip from the North-East, swelling a crowd that represented the Yorkshire club's highest since winning promotion in 2006. The Railwaymen's average before Saturday was 94.

Speaking to the official league website, Harrogate secretary Mike Sunley said: "Our committee were unsure of how many were going to turn up when most of us were thinking in the region of between 450 to 650 judging by the average away gates they have had this season.

"We were told that about two to three hundred would be attending but we never expected anything like this - they just kept coming through the gates and it never stopped until just before the kick-off.

"At any level of football, except maybe the Premier League and Championship, it was a magnificent turnout by the Darlington fans and a credit to their club. There wasn't any trouble of any kind and again they were a fantastic credit to Darlington FC."

He added: "Our average gate is only 94 so I also have to mention too that it was a truly a magnificent effort by all the staff and volunteers of Harrogate Railway who helped to manage and cope with such a large crowd on the day."

Darlington are now nine points off the top as Curzon returned to pole position by winning one of their games in hand on Tuesday, beating third-bottom Wakefield 3-2.

Quakers are at bottom-of the table Ossett Albion on Saturday while they return to Heritage Park on January 25 when they face Cammell Laird.

http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/sport/10939621._/?