watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

shoot out at old trafford

Started by nose, January 22, 2014, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

only 3 out of 10 penalties scored and some of them were really awful  that was the worst shoot out ever!

Sgt Fulham

Has a team ever won a penalty shootout by only scoring 2 penalties before? Whilst disappointed that I won't get to watch Utd getting crushed by City in the final at least Sunderland might have a distraction from the league and get demoralized when they get battered in the final! Sounds bitter, but in our position every little helps.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on January 22, 2014, 10:36:20 PM
Has a team ever won a penalty shootout by only scoring 2 penalties before? Whilst disappointed that I won't get to watch Utd getting crushed by City in the final at least Sunderland might have a distraction from the league and get demoralized when they get battered in the final! Sounds bitter, but in our position every little helps.

I was involved in a penalty shootout that finished 1-0 once, after 14 penalties.

I was goalkeeper and saved about 5 of the ones against me, then went and scored the winner
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

God The Mechanic

It was a fitting end to a pretty poor game.  Don't get the praise Sunderland are getting, they had one shot on target and it took them two whole hours to do so.  Then were pisspoor from 12 yards as well.

Blanco

I hate too see Sunderland win and go through. But I do love to see United suffer knowing they have no trophy hopes this season  :005:

I suppose we'll get to see City smash them in the final. Although, look at Wigan last season... I can't see that happening again though.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on January 22, 2014, 10:39:17 PM

I was involved in a penalty shootout that finished 1-0 once, after 14 penalties.

I was goalkeeper and saved about 5 of the ones against me, then went and scored the winner

Now that is something I would have loved to have seen!

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on January 22, 2014, 10:45:31 PM

Admittedly this was in 7-a-side goals whereby I only had to step to my right and I could reach the post and I was 13 at the time (so I took up a lot of the goal), but the point still stands. Think my opposite number saved ALL of his penalties (except mine)

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on January 22, 2014, 10:48:41 PM

Admittedly this was in 7-a-side goals whereby I only had to step to my right and I could reach the post and I was 13 at the time (so I took up a lot of the goal), but the point still stands. Think my opposite number saved ALL of his penalties (except mine)

Ahh that makes a lot more sense. I remember trying to score a penalty in one of those tiny goals during a football competition and I was the deciding penalty taker. Suffice to say you are a better penalty taker than me because our team got knocked out!

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on January 22, 2014, 10:52:47 PM
Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on January 22, 2014, 10:48:41 PM

Ahh that makes a lot more sense. I remember trying to score a penalty in one of those tiny goals during a football competition and I was the deciding penalty taker. Suffice to say you are a better penalty taker than me because our team got knocked out!

I toe-punted all my penalties. If I didn't know where it was going, there's no way the goalkeeper would either

Count Berbatov

Penalties are a cruel way to end a contest. I would much rather have a replay on a neutral ground.
This year is a true test for my nerves and my mental health . In many ways. Today's game too
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Burt

United's decline this season has been something else.

It looks like a season with no silverware and no Champions League qualification. When was the last time that happened??

Count Berbatov

I don't really know. Could Google it. But I know SAF was on the verge of being sacked after something like 2-3 seasons of no silverware and only for the lucky FA cup he won that he stayed
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Count Berbatov on January 23, 2014, 12:06:34 AM
Penalties are a cruel way to end a contest. I would much rather have a replay on a neutral ground.
This year is a true test for my nerves and my mental health . In many ways. Today's game too

A replay after 2 semi-final legs? And what if that is another draw? Be there for weeks.

Neil D

Good to see Man Ure fans eating some humble pie at last.  I hope it continues and well done Sunderland.

epsomraver

Quote from: Count Berbatov on January 23, 2014, 12:06:34 AM

What a shame, you should try being a Fulham fan, we do this every season, What time is high tide down there in Bognor?

DukeTyrion

I don't think we are really in a position to comment on penalty shoot-outs.

Every time I think back to the Leicester game I shudder ... two of our players even put their penalties in the same spot in row Z :-(

Fulham33

Yep 0 - 3 at Leicester - awful. But it was even worse being 2 goals up with 5 minutes to play!

grandad

I still prefer the Golden Goal after normal time. However they must play on until a goal is scored even if it tales 24 hours or more.lol
Where there's a will there's a wife

Bill2

Quote from: nose on January 22, 2014, 10:29:29 PM
only 3 out of 10 penalties scored and some of them were really awful  that was the worst shoot out ever!

What game was it where we missed all of our penalties, I think it was against Leicester before our promotion to Prem?

Fulham33

See above - same competition - different sponsor 5th round I think and Leicester went on to win (2000)