watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sadness or Depression?

Started by HatterDon, May 16, 2010, 10:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

This is getting ridiculous. I am now unable to read people's first-person reports from their Hamburg trip without seeing that last goal go in and feeling the joy seep out of my body. I thought I would get more philosophical about this, recognize the fantastic achievement, relish in the collective brotherhood of Fulham, enjoy the World Cup and anticipate August, and yet ... and yet ... .

Yesterday, my band played a winery, and several folks from our mailing list drove the 80 something miles to sample wine and listen to us play in the Spring sunshine. One is a young [to me anyhow] Brazilian businessman who is based in San Antonio. I haven't seen him in a while and we always talk football when we meet. I asked him about where he stood with Dunga, and he asked me about USA's group. And then he said he had watched Fulham v. Atletico on Gol and remembered that this was my team. Did I watch? Was I disappointed? Etc. And I got sad all over again.

So, at what point does sadness become depression? And does it always lead irrevocably to using a lighthouse as your avatar?

Answers, please, on a post card.

In the interim, I have pledged myself to -- at some time in the future -- go back into the FofF archives and read the reports of those blessed enough to have been able to go to Hamburg.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

VicHalomsLovechild

We peaked against Hamburg, Hatter. During the drive across France, Belgium, Holland and Germany it was always in the back of my mind that we wouldn't be able to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat as we had done against the likes of Basel, Juve and Hamburg.
Going down one goal was a bit of a blow but the fans started to make a noise and the players found some fight and Davis put us right back in the game. Atletico and their fans went completely flat after that and they never got it back till they scored late on.
We may have lost by a goal to a team that lets face it cost a small fortune but we won in ever other department. A group of players working for the team first and foremost lead by a man who could probably achieve World peace if he set his mind to it and followed by a mixed bunch of people from all walks of life who chose to follow this team not because it has a host of stars and a bugling trophy cabinet but because Fulham seems to sum up whats good about football.
I'm looking forward to telling my grandchildren (if I have any) that being in Hamburg with my team on that night was a victory that they haven't invented a cup big enough to give you.
Hope this helps mate.

HatterDon

thanks, Mr. VHLC. This sums up everything good about being Fulham.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jimpav

How can you be depressed when you have music, sunshine and wine HD?

I've got cold, rain and work on a Sunday, yet this is summertime!

Seriously don't be sad, we have every right to be proud, hold your head up high.

Lighthouse

So this is what it is like being me, gosh this is weird. I am set on a safety of failure. I expect Fulham to lose every game. So right now I am gushing like a expectant teenager ready for the first date with the Prom Queen who I know is going to put out. I would like to add that I have no idea what these Americanisms mean and have never watched Glee. Oh Bugger, bit of a giveaway. Anyhoo Fulham have just played in a European Final. We lost in extra time to Athletico Madrid.

HULLO HALLO OUT THERE. ATHLETICO BLINKING MADRID. We beat Juve and well you know the rest. Manchester United, yeah beat them 3-0. Liverpool, blimey a 4 pointer. Depressed? How can we be depressed. This is Fulham people. 60 games, more than we have ever played. Prem for 10 years, Euro final, FA Cup quarters. Boo Hoo I am soooo depressed.

Blood and sand folks. This is Fulham. Yes we may lose our best players and the manager. Most likely we wont though. One thing is for certain. We have never had such a season as this one. Never ever ever. This is it. If you are depressed NOW THAN MAYBE, just maybe, our worst fears have come to light. We are only happy when we take an honour. No that cannot be right. We are brave plucky Fulham, always have been and always will be. We will win an honour. Hell we may even be runner up again. But we are Fulham and what makes us different is we punch above our weight. If we fail we just spit out the blood and smile and get up again. Don't be depressed this season. We were never knocked down. But we did spit in a few giants eyes. We will do again.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope