watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (24/01/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 23, 2014, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Swansea City defender Neil Taylor open to Liberty Stadium exit as frustration grows

The Wales defender needs first team first-team football, according to his agent

Swansea City star Neil Taylor is open to a move away from the Liberty Stadium, his agent has confirmed.

The Wales defender has been pursued by Premier League rivals Fulham throughout January and has struggled to win a place in Michael Laudrup's starting XI since the emergence of Ben Davies last year.

And now Taylor's agent, Jamie Moralee, has spoken out over Taylor's frustration, admitting the full-back needs first-team football.

"Neil wants to play football," Moralee said, "and it doesn't look like he is going to do that under the current manager at Swansea.

"This is not about wanting to leave Swansea City, it's about wanting to play some games.

"He has been out for 13 or 14 months with injury and the last thing he wants after getting back to fitness is not to play.

"But it seems pretty clear that Michael Laudrup doesn't fancy Neil because even after he played in a fantastic win at Manchester United, he didn't play in the next game," he told the South Wales Evening Post

Taylor has started just three Premier League matches this season after failing to win his place back following the devastating broken ankle that decimated last season for him.

Now, Morales has revealed Taylor and Fulham are waiting for a Swansea response to the Cottagers' bid.

"I believe a bid has gone in from Fulham but I don't think anybody has heard anything from Swansea in terms of a response," added Moralee, of New Era Global Sports Management.

"I am waiting for Swansea to tell me what's going on and only then might my job kick in.

"Neil hasn't spoken to anyone at Fulham — nobody has — but I believe Fulham have probably recognised that Swansea are blessed with two very good left-backs.

"Other clubs can see that Neil isn't playing and that's the way the transfer market works.

"I am sure if Neil was playing at Swansea and Ben Davies was the one out of the side, other clubs would be looking at Ben Davies."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-defender-neil-taylor-6554429?

WhiteJC

Inside Bramall Lane

Ahead of Sunday's Fourth Round tie, Sheffield United fan Nicholas Jones gives us the lowdown on his team.

Our teams meet in the FA Cup with Budweiser on Sunday - what does the competition mean to you as a fan?

The FA Cup has always been exciting as it gives fans the chance to see their team play against bigger teams and better players. One of my favourite football moments was as a kid seeing us against Manchester United in the FA Cup at Bramall Lane, admiring one of Eric Cantona's wonder goals. Every season there are upsets where the underdog wins and for supporters of smaller and lesser-known clubs, those days are amazing!

This will be the Blades' fourth game in the competition so far having overcome Colchester United, Cambridge United and Aston Villa. How would you assess Sheffield United's cup run?

The FA Cup wins so far have been a welcome bit of success in a very challenging and frustrating league campaign. Our awful run of results at the beginning of the season left us in a very unexpected position towards the wrong end of the table but the FA Cup matches have all been overseen by the new management team led by Nigel Clough and have coincided with an improvement in the team's performances, and results in the league also. The team are playing with the confidence and belief that wins give to players, no matter the opposition, but when you travel away to a Premier League club and win against the odds, in the manner we did at Villa, is a huge boost for the fans and gives us faith we're moving in the right direction.

Of course, the defeat of Villa in the previous round will have served as a massive confidence boost, and you'll be targeting another victory over a top-flight club on Sunday?

The win against Villa encapsulated the spirit of the club over the last couple of months; the recent run of good performances and improved style of play we've produced since the appointment of Clough. The players seem to be playing with more confidence after a very inconsistent start to the league campaign and there's been a positive turn around in results. The lads will have respect for Fulham but, with recent form and the Villa win, will be confident that by playing to our strengths we can beat anyone on our day.

The last time Fulham played at Bramall Lane was in January 2007, back when the Blades were in the Premier League. These are the games that you want to be playing in week-in, week-out aren't they?

Absolutely. We scored the first-ever goal of the Premier League era and have only had relatively short stays since through various relegations and promotions. The hope for any fan is to see their team competing against the best players and clubs on a regular basis. Since last being in the top flight, our on-the-pitch performances warrant us being in the league and position we are now. However, over recent years our academy infrastructure has produced some very talented players, namely current England internationals Phil Jagielka and Kyle Walker. These are great foundations to have, especially with the amounts of money that some clubs have at their disposal for transfers. Hope is high at the moment with recent investment and the new management team, and it's only a matter of time until the right blend of players produce for the club and achieve a higher and more consistent presence back towards the heights of the Premier League.

Both squads have changed somewhat since that encounter – one that Sheffield United won 2-0 – although Clint Dempsey was involved for the Whites. Is he a player the Blades will have to be aware of on Sunday?

Dempsey is a proven quality player, not only for the time he's been in the UK, but also for the US on the international stage. Even if the other 10 Fulham players have an off day on Sunday he could create his own scoring chances and progress them into the next round. He isn't the only threat to us by far, though, and I'd hope the team have been watching videos on Fulham's many attacking options this week in preparation and that they can perform their defensive duties well enough to stifle and frustrate whatever's thrown at us. Hopefully our centre-backs Harry Maguire and Neil Collins will have their pockets ready for Dempsey to fit nicely in to.

And similarly, which players within the Sheffield United squad do you expect to cause Fulham the biggest threat?

We're fortunate at the moment to have our attacking players in form, both creating and scoring goals. The wide men that scored the goals against Villa, Jamie Murphy and Ryan Flynn, will be on Fulham's radar I'm sure, but Jose Baxter has put in some strong performances since coming back from injury. His vision for a decisive pass and finishing ability will hopefully cause damage on Sunday.

In the Third Round, René Meulensteen promoted a number of the Club's talented youngsters to First Team duties. Do you expect to see a mix of experience and youth again?

It isn't surprising to see this happen in domestic cup competitions anymore. Fulham have some very experienced players that are going to be vital in overturning their current league standing and maintaining top-flight status. I wouldn't imagine Meulensteen will pick the same starting XI that he would against a Chelsea or Manchester City, but he's still a relatively newly appointed manager that wants to improve on his team's performances and a cup run, for finances, confidence and pride, should result in him picking a team he believes is strong enough to beat us.

And what sort of game do you anticipate on Sunday - what kind of match do you see taking shape?

I think it will be tight and the team that controls the midfield will win. With the quality players that Fulham have, they'll create more goalscoring opportunities and, for us to win, we'll have to be decisive with the chances we create.

So what's the best thing about a trip to Bramall Lane?

It's the oldest football ground in the world – a must on any fan's grounds to visit checklist.

Can you recommend a good place for the Fulham fans to get a pint before the game?

Bramall Lane is in Sheffield city centre so there are plenty to choose from. Depending on what time you arrive for the game, there are also pubs scattered around the outside of the ground.

And what's the atmosphere like inside of the stadium – what songs are we most likely to hear?

We're averaging 17,000 attendances this season so Sunday should have 20,000-plus. We're very passionate about our football up north, kicking every ball and making every tackle so the energy and noise levels should be buzzing! Our trademark song, Greasy Chip Butty, will be sung at kick-off, loud and proud:

You Fill Up My Senses,
Like A Gallon Of Magnet,
Like A Packet Of Woodbines,
Like A Good Pinch Of Snuff,
Like A Night Out In Sheffield,
Like A Greasy Chip Butty,
Like Sheffield United,
Come Fill Me Again,
Na Na Na Na Na...OOOOHH!

Finally, can we move you into making a score prediction – how do you think this match will finish?

If the Blades are going to be in the draw for the next round, it's vital that we score the first goal of the game. I'll predict with my heart a 1-0 or 2-1 Blades victory and keep what my head predicts to myself. Come on you red and white wizards!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/23/inside-bramall-lane?

WhiteJC

FA Cup Opta Stats: Dempsey to reopen Fulham account

Sheffield United v Fulham (Sunday, 13:00, BT Sport 1)

Clint Dempsey has scored six goals in his last five FA Cup matches

Not since May 6 2012 has Dempsey fired for Fulham, the first three games of his loan return refusing to provide instant gratification.
However, FA Cup skirmishes with lesser opponents are his speciality, the last three such occasions yielding six strikes: the consolation in a 2-1 loss at Leeds and a brace in a 3-0 dismissal of Coventry for Tottenham, plus a hat-trick in a 4-0 thrashing of Charlton for Fulham.

Best Bet: Back Dempsey to score @ 3.6

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/fa-cup-opta-stats-dempsey-to-reopen-fulham-account-230114-39.html?

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen confirms Liam Moore bid

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen has confirmed that the club have submitted an offer for Leicester City centre-back Liam Moore.

The Cottagers are understood to have had a second offer for the youngster rebuffed, but Meulensteen said that potential transfers are in CEO Alistair Mackintosh's hands and he is focused on training.

"We've put a bid in but it's up to Alistair Macintosh," the Dutchman told reporters. "[Reports on potential targets] are quite accurate, but MacIntosh is dealing with transfers. I'm focused on training the players."

Meulensteen also confirmed that there was interest from both Watford and Ligue 1 side Evian TG for midfielder Derek Boateng.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/meulensteen-confirms-moore-bid_132244.html

WhiteJC

Swansea City reject Fulham bid for defender Neil Taylor

Swansea City have confirmed they have rejected a bid from Fulham for Wales full-back Neil Taylor.

Taylor, 24, has struggled to hold down a regular place in manager Michael Laudrup's side due to the emergence of Ben Davies.

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen had confirmed earlier in the day at a press conference that they had made a bid for the defender.

"Yes, we have put a bid in," said Meulensteen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25864890?

WhiteJC

Senderos Interests Lazio?

Lurking in that little bit of the sports section that carries all the transfer gossip is a suggestion that left me slightly perplexed, puzzled and also amused!

It relates to our Swiss international centre back, Philippe Senderos, with it being inferred that the twenty-eight year-old is set to quit Craven Cottage after the Italian side, Lazio, expressed an interest.

Now, please correct me if I`m wrong here, but are Lazio looking at the same Senderos I watch with eyes half-closed most weeks?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=346642#ixzz2rFNNt8w4

WhiteJC

Alex Pens New Deal

The Club can confirm that Alexander Kačaniklić's contract has been extended.

The Sweden international's current deal was due to expire in the summer, but he will now remain with Fulham until June 2015.

Kačaniklić joined Fulham in August 2010 as part of the deal that took Paul Konchesky to Liverpool. Kačaniklić has since made 38 First Team appearances, scoring five goals.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/23/alex-pens-new-deal?

WhiteJC

Watford talks ongoing with Fulham's Ghanaian midfielder Derek Boateng

Picture: Action Images

Watford are holding "ongoing discussions" with Fulham midfielder Derek Boateng but face competition for the 30-year-old's signature from French side Evian.

The Hornets have long been linked with Boateng and Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen today confirmed the Golden Boys are in talks with the player.

"There has been interest in Derek from Watford and also from Evian in France," Meulensteen told West London Sport.

"There are ongoing discussions between the clubs and the player."

Boateng moved to Fulham on a free transfer in the summer and impressed in pre-season.

Since then however, the Ghanaian has struggled to establish himself in the first team, making only three Premier League appearances.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/10959142._/?

WhiteJC

Why Would Fulham Give Us A Helping Hand?

Sunderland want the feel good factor to continue on Wearside by taking Derek Boateng on loan from Fulham.

But why would relegation-threatened Fulham help us get out of the poo?

Watford and French club Evian have been linked with a move for 30-year-old midfielder Boateng, who has been unable to break into the first team at Craven Cottage this season.

But France Football reports Sunderland are favourites to sign him on a temporary basis as he wants to feature in the English top flight.

Boateng is desperate for a move which will provide regular playing time so he can book his place in Ghana's World Cup squad this summer so the Black Stars player could be joining the Black Cats.

http://www.sunderland-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/_822219/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

René's Match Previews

Two away matches in three days await Fulham as René Meulensteen's charges take on Sheffield United in the FA Cup with Budweiser on Sunday, before returning to league matters at Swansea on Tuesday night.

The fact that the cup tie with the Blades has been selected for live television coverage reduces the preparation time Meulensteen has for the Swansea clash, and while he admits it's not an ideal situation, our Head Coach insisted he'll be doing all he can to win both matches.

"You need to make sure that you respect both competitions," he said in Thursday's press conference. "Obviously we know what the importance is for both competitions.

"You can't get away from the fact that these [cup] games are falling in between very important Barclays Premier League games, and it's the same thing this weekend. We have to play at 1pm on Sunday and have to play Swansea away in the Premier League [on Tuesday] and there's no other way around it than to utilise the squad the best that I can to make sure that it doesn't affect either competition, because they're both very important.

"We're delighted we progressed with a good performance against Norwich City and we hope to do the same thing against Sheffield. The biggest challenge that I have is making sure that I'm going to have a good team over there at Sheffield United and making sure that we've got more than enough at Swansea as well.

"These are really testing times and we need to utilise the squad the best we can and luckily we've got hardly any injuries apart from Fernando Amorebieta who's not fully fit yet. But other than that I've got plenty of players to choose from."

A considerable 47 league places currently separate Fulham from Sunday's opponents, but the FA Cup has a famous back catalogue of giant killings, and Meulensteen is wary of the threat posed by the Sky Bet League One outfit.

"You get all these surprises in the FA Cup, because any team that plays in League Two, League One, the Championship, coming up against a Premier League team, it's a big scalp for them," he explained.

"I've seen them in quite a few games in League One and saw them playing against Aston Villa away – it's like chalk and cheese. That's what motivation does, that's what a challenge does to you. We're well aware of that and we're well aware that it's going to be a difficult game and not an easy ride at all, so we have to prepare very, very well.

"We can't be complacent, that's one thing I've warned the players of straight away. I've told them it's going to be a very erratic game, they'll chase everything, the crowd will get behind them.

"The thing for us is to make sure we remain calm and focused and, if we can do that and maintain that, then our quality should see us through. But if we don't match their fighting spirit and enthusiasm, we could be in for a tough, tough ride."

Meulensteen continued: "I think you just need to address these things realistically to the players. They know, everybody knows, it's great to still be in the cup, it's great that it's a TV game again. That's all fantastic, what's not that great is that we have to play Swansea two days later.

"They've got an extra day rest, they play on Saturday, but I'm not going to make much of a fuss about this. This is what we have to deal with, this is our job, so we manage it.

"Whoever plays whatever game, the most important thing is that when they step over the line, they're well prepared. That's my job and if we do that then hopefully the results will go with it."

Following the Yorkshire fixture, attentions will immediately turn to the vital Premier League encounter at the Liberty Stadium. Victory over the Swans would see Fulham leapfrog them in the table, so when asked if it was a more important game than Sheffield United, Meulensteen stated: "It is, obviously, because you know how tight it is in the Premier League. With the points we lost against Sunderland, all the points are very important and this is going to be another massively important game for us.

"We need to make sure that we take it a game at a time. Every opponent throws different challenges at you, the most important thing is that you always prepare the best you can and make sure that you get the best possible result. If we could pick up three points it would be very, very big for us."

An excellent season for Swansea last year saw them qualify for the UEFA Europa League after winning the Capital One Cup, but they've struggled to replicate that success this term and have won just one of their last 10 league fixtures.

"Over the years I've always had a lot of respect for Swansea," Meulensteen said. "The way they've come up through the leagues and how they've established themselves in the Premier League. They've had various managers with a similar style of play and I have a lot of respect for that.

"Their style of play resulted in a trophy last year and getting into Europe, but now you start to see, a little bit, the price they have to pay for those sort of games, and something suddenly starts to give.

"It's hard to put your finger on it, maybe injuries played a part and this, that and the other, but suddenly the results that normally went for them last season are now going against them and that's why they find themselves in the position they're in."

With little more than a week remaining before the transfer window shuts, Fulham have been linked with a plethora of names in the media. Meulensteen was deliberately vague when quizzed about several players, although he hinted there may be some truth in the rumours.

"There are some things that I've read in the papers but we have to wait and see," he said. "There's nothing else from myself to add. The things I've read in the papers are quite accurate and I've got nothing to add to any of the transfer speculation."

Leicester City's Liam Moore was one such individual, and when asked directly if the Club had seen another bid rejected for the defender, Meulensteen responded: "I can't answer that. I know we'd put a bid in and whatever's come back is on Alistair Mackintosh's table, so that's ongoing."

Regarding potential departures from Craven Cottage, the Head Coach confirmed that Derek Boateng was talking to a couple of clubs: "With Derek I can say there's been interest from Watford and from Evian in France. So, again, that's an ongoing discussion."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/23/renes-match-previews?

WhiteJC

Liam Moore: Leicester City dismiss second Fulham bid

Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson has confirmed a second bid from Fulham for defender Liam Moore has been rejected.

A £2m offer for the England Under-21 international was turned down earlier this month.

Pearson also revealed that there have been no other bids for his players, dismissing reports linking Kasper Schmeichel to AC Milan.

"We've had a couple of bids that we have turned down for Liam," Pearson told BBC Radio Leicester.

"I don't know if they [transfer rumours] are legitimate or not? I just keep smiling.

"In some ways it is quite flattering when players are linked to Premier League or other high-profile foreign clubs, but it's that stage of the season where there is going to be speculation."

Pearson reiterated that none of his players are for sale, despite still having 10, including Schmeichel and striker David Nugent, who are out of contract in the summer.

Foxes captain Wes Morgan, whose defensive partnership with Moore has been a key factor in helping City move five points clear at the top of the Championship table, is the only player so far to extend his contract.

Asked if Leicester's nerves will continue to be tested during the transfer window in an effort to keep hold of their players, Pearson responded: "Possibly. It's unavoidable - the speculation continues and we just have to deal with it.

"It is our intention to keep the squad together."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25865814?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen focusing on survival and not the FA Cup
RENE MEULENSTEEN says Fulham's main focus is to secure victory against Swansea on Tuesday but admits a win in the FA Cup could help boost his squad's confidence.

The Cottagers face League One side Sheffield United in a fourth round cup clash that comes just days before they have to travel to the Liberty Stadium.

Fulham currently sit just a point above the drop zone, and Meulensteen concedes his side will have to keep themselves focused on league survival.

"You can't get away from the fact these games are falling in between very important Premier League games.

"The fact we have to play at One o'clock and then play Swansea away in the Premier League, there is no other way round that I need to utilise the squad to best that I can and to making sure that it doesn't affect either competition."

"We're delighted we progressed with a good performance against Norwich and we hope to do the samething against Sheffield.

The former Manchester United coach admitted the Swansea game was more important because of the team's loss against Sunderland last week, but believes it can also help boost morale if they win on Sunday against United.

"You know how tight it is in the Premier League, and the points we lost against Sunderland, all the points are important and it's a very important game for us."

" But it can defintely boost because when players step over that line and are playing in great competitions, you want to win.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/362006/Fulham-boss-Rene-Meulensteen-focusing-on-survival-and-not-the-FA-Cup

WhiteJC

René's Sheffield Utd Preview

Our Head Coach reviews the Arsenal performance and explains how he will utilise the squad to play three games in six days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojxUbL9UdTs

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/23/head-coach-video?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss plans changes for Sheffield United clash

Meulensteen will rotate his squad for Sunday's trip to Bramall Lane

Juggling act: Rene Meulensteen must prepare for two games in three days
Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen plans to ring the changes for Sunday's FA Cup fourth round clash against Sheffield United.

With a crucial Premier League game at Swansea City just two days later, the Dutchman admits he has to rotate his squad for the trip to Bramall Lane.

Meulensteen made nine changes for the third round replay against Norwich earlier this month, and key players like Scott Parker and Dimitar Berbatov are expected to be left behind in London at the weekend.

He said: "Obviously we know what the importance is for both competitions. You can't get away from the fact that these [cup] games are falling in between very important Barclays Premier League games, and it's the same thing this weekend.

"We have to play at 1pm on Sunday and have to play Swansea away in the Premier League [on Tuesday] and there's no other way around it than to utilise the squad the best that I can to make sure that it doesn't affect either competition, because they're both very important.

"We're delighted we progressed with a good performance against Norwich City and we hope to do the same thing against Sheffield.

"The biggest challenge that I have is making sure that I'm going to have a good team over there at Sheffield United and making sure that we've got more than enough at Swansea as well."

Fernando Amorebieta is expected to miss out again through injury, but youngsters like Chris David, Moussa Dembele and Muamer Tankovic could all get another chance to impress after featuring against the Canaries.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-plans-changes-sheffield-6556796?

WhiteJC

Fulham agree new deal with Kacaniklic and remain in the race to sign Leicester's Moore

Fulham have announced that young midfielder Alexander Kacaniklic has signed a one-year contract extension.

Kacaniklic, 22, was out of contract in the summer, but the London club have decided to retain the player for another year.

The Sweden international, who joined Fulham from Liverpool in 2010, has played 38 times for the Cottagers, although he has started just 10 Barclays Premier League games so far this term.

Tricky winger: Sweden international Alexander Kacaniklic is a talented individual

Several Fulham players, including the likes of Philippe Senderos, Steve Sidwell and John Arne Riise, are out of contract at the end of the season.

For now, head coach Rene Meulensteen is more focused on trying to add new faces to his struggling squad, who are just one point above the relegation zone.

Meulensteen revealed on January 14 that Fulham had made a bid for West Ham star Ravel Morrison.

That angered the Hammers, who complained to the Premier League.

Targeted: West Ham's Ravel Morrison (right) worked with Fulham's Rene Meulensteen at Manchester United

Departing? The contracts of Steve Sidwell (left) and John Arne Riise expire at the end of the season

It has been reported that the Cottagers have lodged a second bid for the 20-year-old, but mindful of West Ham's complaint to the authorities, Meulensteen remained tight-lipped when quizzed about the former Manchester United player on Thursday.

'I can't (speak about it),' the Dutchman said. 'There are things that have been in the papers and they have been quite accurate and I have nothing more to add.'

Meulensteen was more forthcoming on another target - Leicester defender Liam Moore.

One in, one out? Fulham hope to sign Leicester defender Liam Moore (left) but Derek Boateng could leave

Leicester turned down an initial offer from Fulham for Moore, and it appears that the Cottagers are unwilling to give up on the 20-year-old defender.

'We have put a bid in,' Meulensteen said. 'Whatever has come back is on (chief executive) Alistair (Mackintosh's) table. That is ongoing.'

Meulensteen also revealed that midfielder Derek Boateng, who has made just one Premier League start since signing for Fulham, could leave Craven Cottage this month.

'There has been interest from Watford and Evian,' Meulensteen said. 'They have come to the table so that is an ongoing discussion between the clubs and players.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2544730/Fulham-agree-new-deal-Kacaniklic-remain-race-sign-Leicesters-Moore.html#ixzz2rFQXqEO4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

IS DIMITAR BERBATOV THE ANSWER FOR SPURS?

Since Tim Sherwood has taken over at Spurs they have won 5 out of 6 Premier League matches and haven't yet lost a Premier League tie with Sherwood at the helm.

Tottenham also have the best shot conversion rate in since Sherwood took over in contrast to previously being bottom of the league based on conversion rate (Under Andre Villas-Boas)

This is down to the return of Emmanuel Adebayor who has scored 5 goals in his 6 starts in the Premier League since Sherwood recalled him as well as the technical ability of Christian Eriksen that so many people were raving about when he signed for the North London side. The Danish star has also been involved in 5 goals in his last 5 games for Tottenham (2 goals and 3 assists)

Tottenham have been very impressive in the league as of late and the partnership of Eriksen and Adebayor saw Tim Sherwood go back to a formation of 4-2-3-1 against Swansea which was a big fault of Andre Villas-Boas according to majority of Spurs supporters but it worked very well.

As this partnership is bonding I wonder where Dimitar Berbatov would fit in to the team and if he was to join Spurs would Eriksen lose his place as an attacking midfielder where he has been playing at his best lately.

There's no doubt of Dimitar Berbatov's quality but has his days been and gone in a Tottenham shirt or is he just what Tottenham need?

Personally, I think for £1.5million (the reported fee) it is an absolute steal and well worth the risk if he can come back and complete his unfinished business at White Hart Lane by firing them into the Champions League.

http://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/dimitar-berbatov-answer-spurs/?

WhiteJC

Clough's optimism

Nigel Clough sees no reason why the Blades can't cause another shock in the FA Cup at the weekend, but insists United will start as firm underdogs against Fulham.

The Blades host Rene Meulensteen's Cottagers on the back of a tremendous third round success at Aston Villa, but Clough believes that will count for little this time around.

Looking ahead, the Blades boss said: "We certainly can win the game. There's no reason why we can't, but it will be a little more difficult this time.

"Because we're at home the expectations are a little bit higher, there was no pressure on us at all going to Villa Park.

"Some people are suggesting an upset is on the cards, but it would be that, we've got to remember Fulham are two divisions above us and the quality they have throughout their squad.

"The fact they've got a game 48 hours later at Swansea might affect their team selection, I don't know, but they'll still have enough quality on display to hurt us if they are at their best.

"The expectation on us is down to our performance at Villa Park, people realised afterwards it was no fluke."

Clough is hoping his players can build on recent displays at Bramall Lane, which haven't yielded what they should have, in the Gaffer's opinion.

He added: "Our last two home performances have given us a little bit of a pattern of how we want to play at home, now we need the results to match up.

"We were terrific against Tranmere Rovers and thoroughly deserved our three goals. Against Bradford we took control of the game and scored two well worked goals, our attacking play was exceptional and I think we had 29 shots in the game.

"Luck didn't favour us on the day, but teams won't get deflected equalisers from 25 yards every week, so there is every reason to be optimistic."

Read more at http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/20140123-cloughs-optimism-1312624.aspx?#IMrTBMbdvWbgh6rf.99

WhiteJC

Fulham may grant Colombian striker Premier League wish
Hertha Berlin's Adrian Ramos could provide the perfect tonic to Cottager's woes

Beleaguered west London club Fulham could be about to strengthen their bid to beat the Premier League drop by landing Colombian striker Adrian Ramos.

Head Coach Rene Meulensteen has been eager to snap up new recruits and securing the signature of the 27-year-old Hertha Berlin forward would provide a welcome boost following a poor campaign thus far.

Fulham have looked desperate at times and currently sit just one point above the drop zone after suffering 15 defeats in their 22 league games this season, with a 6-0 drubbing at Hull City and 4-1 home reverse to bottom dwellers Sunderland recent low points.

And while the Cottagers' defensive problems have been arguably the main contributor to their downfall, a lack of firepower won't have gone unnoticed by the club's hierarchy.

Midfielder Steve Sidwell is the team's leading Premier League scorer having bagged just five goals, while strike duo Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent have managed only six goals between them.

Those figures could lead Meulensteen to turn his attention to the Bundesliga, with Colombia international Ramos netting 11 times in 17 appearances during the current campaign for a resurgent Hertha outfit.

Die Alte Dame's leading marksman has made no secret of his desire to play in England either with quotes attributed to the South American outlining his potential future plans.

Ramos told El Tiempo: "I am under contract with Hertha Berlin until June 2015.

"But everyone knows that the Premier League is the best league in the world.

"Which player would refuse to play there if he receives an offer to do so?"

That statement of intent is sure to alert a host of clubs and Fulham could be heading the queue to sign a forward whose versatility and predatory instinct may prove pivotal to their survival chances.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-may-grant-colombian-striker-premier-league-wish_184901.html

WhiteJC

'Sarah' speaks for spooked Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen after complaint over Ravel Morrison comments

After receiving a complaint from the Premier League accusing them of tapping up West Ham's Ravel Morrison, Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen is spooked.

So spooked that he dare not speak the midfielder's name for fear of further repercussions, so he had club spokesperson, 'Sarah' speak on the matter on his behalf.

In a mildly comical scene, Sarah then had to intervene once more for Meulensteen, who really wasn't for turning, and might as well has slapped an apple gag in his mouth such was the unlikelihood of him speaking about Morrison.

Watch the slightly bizarre behaviour from Fulham boss Meulensteen on the clip below.

Fulham Boss Rene Meulensteen Cagey Over Ravel Morrison Row [17.01.2014]

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/sarah-speaks-for-spooked-fulham-boss-rene-meulensteen-after-complaint-over-ravel-morrison-comments/?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Rene Meulensteen confirms Fulham bid for Swansea defender Neil Taylor

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen has confirmed that the Cottagers have made a bid for Swansea defender Neil Taylor.

Meulensteen is looking to strengthen his defensive options with a left-back to challenge Kieran Richardson and John Arne Riise.

The Dutchman reckons a top Premier League club would already have signed Taylor had he not suffered an ankle injury that kept him out for eight months last season.

The 23-year-old has found first-team opportunities limited at Swansea by the form of Ben Davies since breaking his ankle against Sunderland in September 2012.

"We have put a bid in. It's on the table. It's simmering," Meulensteen said.

Despite being the subject of a Premier League probe because of his favourable comments regarding Morrison, Meulensteen seemed happy to talk about Taylor.

"I rate him," said the former Manchester United assistant boss.

"I rated him when I was at United. The boy was very unfortunate. He had that horrific injury at a time when he was really playing at his best and he had top four qualities."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9130340/?