News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v England 1982 (Les Strong Testimonial)

Started by FulhamRob, May 17, 2010, 11:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamRob

My first game at the Cottage was Les Strong's testimonial which doubled as an England World Cup warm up game in May 1982. Does anyone know what the score was - and the goal scorers? I can't seem to find out anywhere

Rupert

If memory serves, they tonked us 4-0, but I couldn't tell you who scored.

Of course, it's entirely possible I'm mixing this up with another testimonial (we used to have one every few years back then) but 4-0 seems to ring a bell.

The others I can remember are;
Gerry Peyton, Fulham XI v Chelski XI, starring George Best, years after retirement but still able to do it, left the poor lad trying to mark him look stupid, so in the end the youngster just put his hands on his hips and laughed as Bestie went past him yet again. There was nothing else he could do. The Fulham bench tried to substitute Les Strong about three seconds after kick-off, but he wouldn't go off.
Johnny Marshall had a joint one with somebody else, can't recall who against or anything about it. Must have been good, then.
Glenn Cockrill had one, even though he only played for us for a season as it was part of his contract, Micky Adams' promotion team took on a Cockrill XI starring a certain Mr Shearer. I think we drew that, even with Darren Freeman taking a turn in goal.
Morgs had one too, even though it's the most recent I can't remember who against, nor what happened. Help!
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FatFreddysCat

I was at that game and i think the score was 3-1, but my memory of scores is a touch on the alziemer side.

flynny

Dont know but there is a programme for sale on ebay at moment

Supermitch

Fri 21 May Fulham 0-3 England XI (Mariner 2, Robson)
Att. 7000

LBNo11

...Strongy's testimonial was just days after winning promotion on the 21st May 1982 against England as stated, who fielded Shilton, Keegan, Brooking, Bryan Robson, Wilkins and Paul Mariner. The Fulham team was:-

Stannard
Hopkins
Strong (subbed with Paul Parker after 51 minutes)
Beck
Brown (also subbed after 51 minutes with Hatter)
Gale (subbed after 80 minutes bringing Les Strong back on again when he got his puff back  :015: )
Davies (subbed by Scott on 80 minutes)
Wilson
Tempest,
Reeves
RayLew.

The crowd was 7,126 and receipts were £17,000. As mentioned Paul Mariner scored twice and Bryan Robson once for England to win 0 - 3.

Sean (Noisey) O'Driscoll wrote this little ditty in the programme:-

His name is Les Strong, his nickname is Fred
You recognise him easily by his large forehead
He's played for Fulham for many a season
Friends on the board, we think the reason

His mates came to watch even though they get froze
They shout "there's Strongie - mind his nose"
They're called the zoo gang, you'll hear then roar
Not for Fulham, but in the bar for more

He's kept his place despite these setbacks
I know it's hard to beleive, but these are the facts
He's travelled around the world to Greece and Spain
A goal against Dino Zoff, his claim to fame

Over 400 games and he's never been sold
Hardly surprising, he's 45 years old
So if your depressed and think you can't cope
Just remember Les Strong and there's always hope
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

HatterDon

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 17, 2010, 08:46:56 PM
[
The Fulham team was:-

Stannard
Hopkins
Strong (subbed with Paul Parker after 51 minutes)
Beck
Brown (also subbed after 51 minutes with Hatter)
Gale (subbed after 80 minutes bringing Les Strong back on again when he got his puff back  :015: )
Davies (subbed by Scott on 80 minutes)
Wilson
Tempest,
Reeves
RayLew.

I played? Jeezus; I don't remember a thing. Was I any good or was I as crap as usual?   :011:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Peabody

I was at that game, I remember asking Kevin Keegan to join us as he came to pick the ball up. As things turned out, do you think I may have been physcic?

SuffolkWhite

I was at that one, still have the programme.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

FulhamRob

Excellent, thanks everyone. I've still got the programme on my wall -although unfortunately it's missing a few pictures of the team which I cut out for a scrapbook...as you do when you're eight I guess!