Previous topic - Next topic

FFCByTheRiver

Quote from: btings on January 28, 2014, 06:01:30 PM
This thread makes me hungry

Who wants to go get sandwiches?

I was worried that I was the only one who found this amusing

YoungsBitter

Quote from: MJG on January 28, 2014, 02:28:42 PM
****Please note the Darren Bent miss would not have counted as Kasami was given offside****
Actually no he wasn't, Blades player standing in the goal
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/835549479.gif?1390747983
Quark, strangeness and charm

God The Mechanic

Quote from: YoungsBitter on January 28, 2014, 06:22:48 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 28, 2014, 02:28:42 PM
****Please note the Darren Bent miss would not have counted as Kasami was given offside****
Actually no he wasn't, Blades player standing in the goal
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/835549479.gif?1390747983

It was given as offside though, so would have been disallowed if he had scored.

YoungsBitter

I must have missed that, if you run the GIF he was not offside. It must have been from the earlier play if it was flagged.
Quark, strangeness and charm

God The Mechanic

Quote from: YoungsBitter on January 28, 2014, 06:43:21 PM
I must have missed that, if you run the GIF he was not offside. It must have been from the earlier play if it was flagged.

Oh, I agree, there was no offside.  But it was given as such, so even if he had put the ball in the net the ref would have ruled it out.  Still... dude should be thoroughly embarrassed by that miss.

ffcbulgaria

i'll just skip reading the 4 previous pages and say the original poster got it all wrong

Rene executed his plan perfectly. We played the youngsters. We didn't win on purpose. Now the youngsters get one more game. We get some more TV revenue + some tickets sold as well. We're supporting a charitable cause as well in the sense of helping a League 1 side get more finances.
064.gif  079.gif

Pluto

Couldn't disagree more. Do people not understand fitness and the recovery time- players can't play twice and be at their best with only 24 hours rest

epsomraver

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 28, 2014, 06:48:16 PM

Oh, I agree, there was no offside.  But it was given as such, so even if he had put the ball in the net the ref would have ruled it out.  Still... dude should be thoroughly embarrassed by that miss.

The goalie was forward leaving only one player on the line leaving alex offside.

MiltonBurrows

Couldn't disagree more with the original post. Think Rene got it spot on. I for one would rather do the complete opposite of what Wigan did last year.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

God The Mechanic

Quote from: epsomraver on January 28, 2014, 10:43:27 PM
The goalie was forward leaving only one player on the line leaving alex offside.

Alex?  Wasn't it Kasami?  I'm sure there were two defenders in the six yard box playing him on.  Either way, it was given offside rightly or wrongly - still an awful miss ;)

Bassey the warrior

They were probably thinking Kasami was offside, but he wasn't. Anyway it doesn't matter now.

Logicalman

Interesting discussion, but I think the idea of respect and disrespect is just a red herring.

Maybe in decades gone past the FA Cup was the premium competition, and, perhaps outweighed the 1st Division (which is all the Prem really is), but in the past 2 decades we have seen the rise of TV and cable to many overseas fans, and the influx of cash into the football industry. This has changed the landscape forever.

These days football truly is more of a business than a sport to those who finance it, it's only a sport first to fans like ourselves who live and breath our teams. Therefore, as the Prem is the cash cow it has become, it does figure as more important that the Cup.

In overall terms, unless a team has the success to remain in the Prem, the liklihood is that ist finances will suffer so drastically that the top players will not be attracted or affordable, and therefore such FA Cup runs by the lower league teams are becoming fewer and farther between.

As such, I would submit, the Prem now remains top priority for most clubs and financial security is paramount in today's  football-as-a-business world.