watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (01/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 01, 2014, 08:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Did Valencia think they were signing Hangeland instead of Senderos?

Not Match of the Day @NOT_MOTD
Follow
Someone call a taxi for Valencia. They think they've signed Brede Hangeland.

In one of the more surprising moves of the transfer window, Valencia signed Fulham defender Philippe Senderos on a permanent deal. The Swiss international's contract was due to expire at the end of the season anyway, but has joined the La Liga side.

However when Valencia announced the deal on their official Twitter page, the news was not accompanied with a picture of Senderos, but rather his teammate Brede Hangeland.

Hangeland fits the bill a bit more when it comes to signing for a major La Liga club, so was it a case of mistaken identity for Valencia when it came to the signing?

The news must have come as a bit of a surprise to Senderos as well, as it looked as if he was going to be pushed down the pecking order at Craven Cottage due to the arrival of Jonny Heitinga. Senderos had played in 12 league games for Fulham this season, but given their poor defensive record, no one would have expected the 2000 and 2001 Champions League runners-up to have come in for the former Arsenal defender.

Heitinga will most likely line up alongside Hangeland in the centre of Fulham's defence after signing a deal initially until the end of the season. He will hope to impress national boss Louis Van Gaal so he can force his way into contention for this summer's World Cup.

Senderos meanwhile will try and help elevate Valencia who are currently in 10th place in La Liga.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/01/jm-did-valencia-think-they-were-signing-hangeland-instead-of-sen/?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham sign Ryan Tunnicliffe and Larnell Cole from Man Utd

Fulham have bolstered their midfield options with the capture of Ryan Tunnicliffe and Larnell Cole from Manchester United on transfer deadline day.

The pair have moved from Old Trafford for an undisclosed fee and join the Cottagers on deals until the summer of 2017, with options for a further year.

Both know Rene Meulensteen from his time at Manchester United and Tunnicliffe is looking forward to working with the Fulham head coach again.

The 21-year-old told Fulham's official website: "I've known Rene since I was nine and there was talk when he took over that he was interested in me, so it's just picked up steam this week really and I'm here now and glad to sign.

Highest level

"Rene didn't have to sell Fulham to me, for a start they're in the Premier League and I want to play at the highest level. I know René and I know he's a great coach so I'm just excited to work for him. Fulham's a great club anyway - they've been in the Premier League for a long time now and I just can't wait to get started.

"I want to play at the highest level I possibly can and, to me, that's the Premier League because it's the best league in the world. I want to play as many games as I can and improve as a player because I'm only young, and we'll see where we go from there."

Tunnicliffe has previously spent time on loan at Peterborough United, Barnsley and Ipswich Town, while 20-year-old Cole came through the club's academy before making his senior debut for United in a League Cup win against Leeds United in 2011.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9144799/?

WhiteJC

Pressure Mounting On Fulham As Saints Look To End 67-Year Hoodoo

FULHAM v SOUTHAMPTON 15:00, Craven Cottage

Fulham are in real trouble after suffering their third consecutive defeat to Swansea in midweek and maybe questioning whether Rene Meulensteen was the right man for the job. The former Manchester United coach has overseen seven defeats and just three victories in his 10 games in charge and some maybe wondering if technical director, Alan Curbishley will have to take over if results do not improve.

On a more positive note for Fulham, Southampton have not won at Craven Cottage since 1947 and Meulensteen has brought in midfielder William Kvist on loan from Stuttgart for the rest of the season.

Southampton claimed an impressive draw with Arsenal on Tuesday, proving that they are still a match for the division's top clubs. The Saints early season form seems to have petered out and the chance of Champions League football seems a distant memory. Although they still remain a respectable ninth in the table, which is five places higher than they finished last term.

It is likely Southampton's record signing, Dani Osvaldo, will join Juventus on loan until the end of the season, with the option of making the move permanent. The Italy forward is currently suspended by Southampton after a training ground fight with team-mate Jose Fonte, which seems to have ended his short career at the club.

What to watch out for: Rickie Lambert and Jay Rodriguez scored in a 2-0 win over Fulham at St Mary's in October and a repeat result could be likely considering the Cottagers' desperate form.

Possible line-ups:

Fulham – Stekelenburg, Reither, Hangeland, Burn, Richardson, Dejagah, Sidwell, Parker, Kacaniklic, Dempsey, Berbatov

Southampton – Boruc, Chambers, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw; Lallana, Cork, Schneiderlin, Rodriguez, Davis, Lambert

Recent Form: Fulham: WLWLLL; Southampton: WLLWDD

Prediction: 1-2

http://www.footymatters.com/articles/english-football/premier-league/premier-league-preview/pressure-mounting-on-fulham-as-saints-look-to-end-67-year-hoodoo/?

WhiteJC

Olympic champion: Have Fulham struck gold with Mitroglou?

The Greece international was the undisputed star at Olympiakos but is set to take a massive step up in terms of quality as he bids to save the Cottagers from relegation

Olympiakos will win the Greek Super League at a canter again this season, despite selling Kostas Mitroglou to Fulham. The sale of the striker earned Olympiakos around €15 million. Given the current financial climate around Greek football, that is like winning the lottery.

Olympiakos, though, have as good as surrendered before their Champions League last 16 tie against Manchester United. They would have been a high price before the transfer window. They are rank outsiders now. Still, they will earn more from their winter sales than they could from continued progress in the Champions League. It worked out.

For their €15m, Fulham have acquired the services of one of Europe's hottest properties of the season. While Cristiano Ronaldo was busy putting Zlatan Ibrahimovic and his Sweden cohorts to the sword in the World Cup play-offs, away from the spotlight, Mitroglou was doing the same to Romania. Three of Greece's four goals over the two legs were scored by the forward as a safe passage was granted to the Greeks for Brazil 2014.

"MITROGLYCERIN" screamed Marca alongside a photo of Mitroglou conducting his now familiar Pistolero celebration. Over the course of those two games, Mitroglou continued the sort of form that has brought him widespread acclaim. Fourteen goals in 12 Superleague matches, crucial strikes in the World Cup qualification programme and an outstanding Champions League hat-trick against Anderlecht - the first-ever by a Greek - mean Mitroglou was the name on everyone's lips and on all the back pages.

The problem with having a prolific frontman in any team of a relatively modest calibre is that he stands out like a sore thumb. Emerging goalscorers do not stay off the radar for long and it is inevitable that the club in possession of the player will be fending off enquiry after enquiry. That is the situation in which Olympiakos found themselves over Mitroglou. The price went up to, realistically, twice what Olympiakos would have taken for him, and they cashed out at the right time.

But Fulham should not expect the kind of relentless consistency that Mitroglou showcased at the start of the season. It was a tough slog for Mitroglou to make his name. Inconsistency, disputes with coaches and loan spells all plagued the striker's game before things clicked this term. It was very much evolution which brought plaudits - a slow climb to the top of his game.

Changes in the player's own attitude as well as the conditions around him at his club brought Mitroglou into the form of his career. "He has improved his physical conditioning and his reading of the game," his Olympiakos coach Michel told Spanish radio before the winter break. The Borussia Monchengladbach youth product was allowed to flourish under Michel's new regime at Piraeus.

Rafik Djebbour and last year's player of the year Djamel Abdoun departed meaning coach Michel has finally got around to creating his own side with Mitroglou as the spearhead. "We did not get another player in his place because we were confident that he [Mitroglou] would justify our choice," said sporting director Pierre Issa over the decision not to replace Djebbour. "He has vindicated himself and his talent."

The likes of Vladimir Weiss, sold to Lekhwiya this week, Joel Campbell and, crucially, Javier Saviola, helped to give Olympiakos a new dynamism and threat going forward with the ideas of the Spanish coach now coming across.

"We understand the philosophy of the coach," Mitroglou told Uefa in October. "With new players who came in the summer we play more attacking football. This is I believe our strength." No doubt, Mitroglou himself is an improved player this season. "Before, his goals came almost entirely from inside the box but now come in other ways," his coach said. "He is a player who, at any time, is dangerous to the opposition wherever he is on the pitch."

Mitroglou has hit a goldmine with his move with Greek media reporting that he will earn around €2.5m per season with Fulham - over four times the money he was making with Olympiakos. But he will be made to work for it. He is taking a steep step in the quality of football he will be playing and, with a Fulham club-record fee, comes no small degree of pressure.

He will score goals but will take time to adapt. But that's not a luxury Rene Meulensteen's side have at this point of the season.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/02/01/4433827/-?

WhiteJC

Traders: Fulham business shrewd

Sky Bet eased Fulham to 4/5 for Premier League relegation on the back of Transfer Deadline Day.

Rene Meulensteen captured Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiacos along with Tottenham's Lewis Holtby on loan, but it was those going the other way who really encouraged Sky Bet's Stuart Dallimore.

He said: "In terms of the relegation picture we feel that Fulham, Cardiff and Crystal Palace all strengthened quite well yesterday.

"One thing worth noting is that Fulham got rid of their two big luxury players in Dimitar Berbatov and Adel Taraabt. This could be a very shrewd move from Meulensteen as you get the feeling that neither would have been the type of player you would like in a relegation scrap.

"West Ham, on the other hand, didn't have a great window really and as a result we've cut them to go down."

West Ham are now 11/8 for the drop ahead of today's clash with Swansea, with Cardiff out to evens and Palace now 6/5. Cardiff have been supported to beat Norwich but Palace face a trip to Arsenal on Sunday.

Arsenal remain 5/1 to lift the title after adding Kim Kallstrom to their squad on Friday, a move which generally underwhelmed the layers.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/9145007/-?

WhiteJC

100% Duel Success: Fulham Aim To Pinch Monaco Starlet In Late Deal

Fulham are keen on getting a last minute deal for Nicolas Isimat-Mirin from Monaco to bolster a back-line that suffered a loss on deadline day, according to the Daily Star.

The two clubs have already opened up a dialogue with Dimitar Berbatov having agreed to join the club of the principality until the end of the season, and hope to get something themselves from the deal by snapping up Isimat-Mirin.

The defender is surplus to requirements at Stade Louis II, and Fulham are hoping Monaco will loan him to help them cope with the loss of Philippe Senderos.

Fulham have allowed Philippe Senderos to join Valencia on deadline day, and are in need of recruiting urgent cover for a back four that is low on resources.

Monaco are not planning on letting Isimat-Mirin leave on a permanent basis, as he is highly rated at the club, but would be willing to let him go out on loan to gain first team experience in a top division.

Should he sign for Fulham before the transfer window slams shut, he will become Fulham's fifth signing of January, with William Kvist, Clint Dempsey, Lewis Holtby and Kostas Mitroglou having already joined.

Nicolas Isimat-Mirin has only made one appearance for Monaco this season, but won 100% of his duels in the 30 minutes he played in the 2-0 win over Rennes.

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/01/31/fulham-in-for-mirin/2014013163624?

WhiteJC

Heitinga Joins Fulham

As the hours ticked by before the transfer window slammed shut, it was suggested that Fulham`s move for the Dutch defender, Johnny Heitinga, could go either way.

After all, the Dutchman had already, earlier in the transfer window, rejected a move to West Ham United.

However, it would appear that Rene Meulensteen used his persuasive tongue to get Heitinga to sign on the dotted line.

It would appear Heitinga has signed a permanent deal and that the fee paid, to Everton, hasn`t been disclosed.

Welcome to Craven Cottage Johnny.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348026#ixzz2s4VbB3re

WhiteJC

Senderos Gone!

As the last few hours of the transfer window approached, I gave up on anything serious happening.

After all it had been a long day and my bed, even more so after a few ales, beckoned.

But, by retiring to my bed, I missed one deal that few actually saw coming.

Our Swiss defender, Philippe Senderos, had intimated he might be leaving Craven Cottage but many believed it wouldn`t be until the summer.

However, we were all wrong with Senderos, somehow, getting his wish and signing on the dotted line, albeit on loan, for the Spanish side, Valencia.

Surprised isn`t the word!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348027#ixzz2s4VnkEbn

WhiteJC

Trio of Youngsters Go Out On Loan!

In wrapping up our extensive coverage of the January transfer window, we thought we`d better mention that three of our promising youngsters have been sent out on loan.

Arthurworry has gone off to Tranmere, Bettinelli has joined Accrington Stanley and Grimmer has joined Port Vale.

Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to wish all three the very best on their loan spells.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348028#ixzz2s4VwKpxo

WhiteJC

Berbatov`s Farewell!

And so it would appear that we`ve seen the last of Dimitar Berbatov in a Fulham shirt.

The 33 year-old Bulgarian has joined AS Monaco, on loan, for the remainder of this season.

We understand that, following the completion of his loan spell, Berbatov will be a free agent.

Speaking about the challenge playing for AS Monaco provides, Dimitar has remarked.

"I`m happy, excited and a little bit nervous."

"I look forward to opening a new chapter in my career."

Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to thank Dimitar for the service he gave the club, his signing was a surprise and I suspect his departure can be categorized in a similar fashion.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348029#ixzz2s4W8hXqj

WhiteJC

Neil Taylor Sees Fulham Move Collapse After Wife Goes Into Labour On Deadline Day

Poised on the very cusp of sealing a move to Fulham, Swansea left-back Neil Taylor saw his hopes of joining the Cottagers dashed on deadline day when his wife chose the most inopportune moment to go into labour.

Having already had a bid rebuffed earlier in the month, Fulham returned with an improved £4million offer on the final day of the window with things said to be progressing nicely until Taylor's wife reportedly decided to start having a baby mid-afternoon which, fairly understandably, scuppered Taylor's plans to travel to west London to tie up the loose ends.

Women!

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fulham/184099/neil-taylor-sees-fulham-move-collapse-after-wife-goes-into-labour-on-deadline-day.html?

WhiteJC

Aaron Hughes: Fulham Legend

Rene Meulensteen decided enough was enough on deadline day, and went about dismantling Martin Jol squad, with four first team regulars departing – Dimitar Berbatov, Adel Taarabt, Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes. While the first three may have had the highest profile moves, to Monaco, AC Milan and Valencia respectively, it will be Aaron Hughes who I'll miss the most.

I'm not going to say he was the player he used to be, because he wasn't. However, he arguably was part of the greatest Fulham centre-back pairing in Premier League history alongside Brede Hangeland.

Hughes and Hangeland brought fear to the heart of many strikers, they knew how to work together instinctively and they were the perfect pairing. Nothing seemed to get past them, and when they were playing, Fulham very rarely seemed to be on the end of thrashings, which have become all too common over the last couple of seasons. The centre back pairing inspired Fulham's turn around in the 2007/08 season, and were crucial to the famous Europa League run of 2009/10.

When Hughes came to Fulham, it was rather quietly, as one of the players brought in under Lawrie Sanchez's Northern Irish revolution. While higher profile names such as David Healy and Steven Davis flopped, Hughes proved to be an inspired buy in his 247 league appearances for Fulham. You knew when he played, he'd give 100% and wouldn't let the team down. I've never been happier when a player scored their first goal for a club, and I was gutted when his goal against West Ham was marred by a defeat.

He resisted attempts to replace him in the team with Philippe Senderos, with Hughes playing at right-back to accommodate the then preferred pairing of Hangeland and Senderos. Hughes bombed forward, but didn't do too badly, but soon Jol realised the errors of his ways, bringing back the coveted Hughes and Hangeland pairing that brought stability to the Fulham team.

This season, he has started to show his age. His reactions aren't as fast as they used to be – he was very lucky not to give away a penalty in his last game for Fulham at Sheffield United. Despite this, it was fitting that he was captain in his last game for the Whites, as he was always a leading presence from the back.

The time is now right for Hughes to leave though if he wants to finish his career with first-team football. Hangeland looks to have a good pairing with Dan Burn, and with Johnny Heitinga coming in, Hughes would have surely fallen further down the pecking order. Even though he's gone to QPR, I still hope he does well.

Good luck Aaron Hughes, you will always be a Fulham Premier League legend.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/01-02-2014/aaron-hughes-fulham-legend/869210?#ixzz2s4WfFFrF

WhiteJC

Fulham Transfers: Complete Break Down Of Cottagers January Window

Fulham made some interesting moves in the final two days of the transfer window.

Clint Dempsey's return on loan could yet prove massive, but the loan of Dimitar Berbatov to AS Monaco remains a bit of a head scratcher.

Bringing in Lewis Holtby on-loan from Tottenham could prove a masterstroke as could the loan signing of William Kvist.

However, the last minute deals for Kostas Mitroglou, John Heitinga, Ryan Tunnicliffe and Larnell Cole could prove more important to the long term future of the club.

Seeing Aaron Hughes sent on loan and Philippe Senderos sold leaves Heitinga with a clear path to the first team and a chance to see his name on the Holland national team for this summer's world cup if he proves he still has what it takes.

In: Clint Dempsey (Loan – Seattle Sounders), William Kvist (Loan – VfB Stuttgart), Lewis Holtby (Loan – Tottenham), John Heitinga (Everton), Kostas Mitroglou (Olympiakos), Ryan Tunnicliffe (Manchester United), Larnell Cole (Manchester United)

Loan: Stephan Athurworrey (Tranmere Rovers), Marcus Bettinelli (Accrington Stanley), Jack Grimmer (Port Vale), Bryan Ruiz (PSV Eindhoven), Dimitar Berbatov (AS Monaco), Aaron Hughes (Queens Park Rangers)

Out: Philippe Senderos (Valencia)

Read more at http://swol.co/fulham-transfers-complete-break-down-of-cottagers-january-window/32683?#0As76WOtPm4bHHz3.99

WhiteJC

How's He Managed That? Ex-Arsenal Flop Joins La Liga Giants

Fulham have lost another one of their central defenders tonight, with the Daily Mail reporting that Valencia have made a move for Philippe Senderos. The Cottagers have already lost Aaron Hughes on deadline day, having loaned the defender to Championship side QPR, but chave now allowed another centre back leave Craven Cottage.

The Mail report that Valencia have completed a move for former Arsenal defender Senderos. The Spanish giants have left it late to make their move, but have swooped to complete a deal for Senderos and end his ten year spell in England.

Senderos has made 12 appearances in the Premier League this season for Fulham, scoring one goal. However, despite this, Rene Meulensteen has allowed the Swiss defender to leave the club. The Fulham boss has club captain Brede Hangeland fit following a spell out with injury and has deemed Senderos surplus to requirements.

With Hangeland and Fernando Amorebieta proving to be Meulentsteen's preferred pairing in defence, and Dan Burn impressing during his recent run in the side,  Fulham have allowed Senderos to leave the club and swap a relegation  battle in London for the sun of La Liga.

Senderos has won 21 of the 38 headed duels that he has contested this season 

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/01/31/hows-he-managed-that-ex-arsenal-flop-joins-la-liga-giants/2014013163568?

WhiteJC

Taylor Transfer Talk Mystery

What was it all about you may ask?

Yesterday, with Fulham having already been reported as having shown an interest in the Swansea full-back Neil Taylor, but with a fee not being agreed, a statement was issued stating it was a transfer that was not going to happen.

At the time we were a little perplexed as to why not!

Well it appears that Taylor might have been a little more pre-occupied with other matters other than a transfer with it being reported that his wife had gone into labour.

Fair-play to the lad, sometimes (not often) there are some things more important than football.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348043#ixzz2s4kM3RR1

WhiteJC

Khan bets big to save Fulham's season

The transfer window shut with Fulham involved in a frenzy of activity that saw the revolving door at the Motspur Park training ground spin faster than a roulette wheel.

Bravo to the new club owner, Shad Khan, for putting up serious funds in the last 48 hours; there has been no investment in the side on this scale for over a decade.

With Fulham languishing in the bottom three following Tuesday's loss at Swansea and Khan tight-lipped over his strategy for the club he bought last August, this blog was pleading for a 20 million pound gamble to stave off impending relegation.

Lo and behold, that's exactly what we got! Whether the credit goes to Khan for his grasp of the situation or CEO Alistair Mackintosh for loosening the purse strings, we shall have to wait for the dust to settle before finding the answer.

As of now, on the eve of the home fixture with Southampton, the bigger picture at Craven Cottage is transformed from the mood at the top of the week. Two things are immediately apparent: Rene Meulensteen and his staff had clearly done their homework in identifying the players they wanted.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1809?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Lewis Holtby determined to prove his worth at Fulham
Lewis Holtby is determined to "show what he can do" after joining Fulham on loan from Tottenham

Lewis Holtby is determined to "show what he can do" after joining Fulham on loan from Tottenham until the end of the season.

The 23-year-old midfielder has found his first-team opportunities limited at White Hart Lane this season and had been limited to just six Premier League starts for Spurs.

And the German has vowed to prove his worth at Craven Cottage as he looks to help the west London side avoid relegation.

"It's a good opportunity for me and I'd like to thank both clubs especially Spurs for letting this happen and Fulham for letting me play here and show my abilities and giving me some game time," Holtby said.

"I had some really good talks with the gaffer here and everyone at the club made it so easy for me.

"They wanted me so bad and I'll try and give all my abilities to try and keep this club up it's a great challenge.

"I'm happy to be here now and show what I can do. It starts tomorrow against Southampton to try and get three points."

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2014/02/lewis-holtby-determined-to-prove-his-worth-at-fulham/?