watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (20/05/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 20, 2010, 07:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/19/1478651/cottagers-daily-rumor-mill-this
Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill: This Just In. Fulham's interest in Nicky Maynard could be press speculation

I just saw this article on Skysports.com regarding Nicky Maynard and interest from Fulham in the Bristol City striker. Three days ago I posted in fanshots a link to a Daily Mail story mentioning possible interest from Fulham.

According to the Skysports.com article "Robins rubbish Maynard talk" Bristol City's Steve Lansdown has rejected the notion that Maynard is about to join Fulham.  

According to this Skysports.com article they have a quote from Bristol City's Steve Lansdown regarding the Nicky Maynard link to Fulham. This quote from the Skysports.com article was reported by the Bristol Evening Post.  Lansdown stated " This is nothing more than press speculation and, just because something is reported in a newspaper, does not mean it is going to happen"

There is another quote from the Skysports.com article that was reported in the Bristol Evening Post. Lansdown stated " I've seen the stories and I can assure our supporters we have not had any contact from Fulham, or any other club for that matter, with regard to Nicky Maynard."

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottagers-knocked-back-by-robins-1063231.html
Cottagers knocked back by Robins

Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown has rejected talk that striker Nicky Maynard will join Fulham for £4million this summer.

The Robins top scorer is being eyed up as a potential replacement for Bobby Zamora should the Cottagers decide to cash in on their star asset during the off season.

With Aston Villa and Everton ready to pay £10million for Zamora Hodgson eyes a £4million investment in Maynard as a good bit of business.

Lansdown says he has yet to receive a firm offer for the 23-year-old and has attacked Fulham for trying to unsettle their player by talking to the press, rather than Bristol City, about bringing him to Craven Cottage.

"This is nothing more than press speculation and, just because something is reported in a newspaper, does not mean it is going to happen," he said in the Bristol Evening Post.

"I've seen the stories and I can assure our supporters we have not had any contact from Fulham, or any other club for that matter, with regard to Nicky Maynard.

"If Fulham or any other club wants to talk to us about one of our players, then they should contact us directly rather than go through the media.

"At this moment in time, there has been no interest shown by any club in any of our players."

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-look-towards-robins-star-1063231.html
Fulham look towards Robins star

Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown has rejected talk that striker Nicky Maynard will join Fulham for £4million this summer.

The Robins top scorer is being eyed up as a potential replacement for Bobby Zamora should the Cottagers decide to cash in on their star asset during the off season.

With Aston Villa and Everton ready to pay £10million for Zamora Hodgson eyes a £4million investment in Maynard as a good bit of business.

Lansdown says he has yet to receive a firm offer for the 23-year-old and has attacked Fulham for trying to unsettle their player by talking to the press, rather than Bristol City, about bringing him to Craven Cottage.

"This is nothing more than press speculation and, just because something is reported in a newspaper, does not mean it is going to happen," he said in the Bristol Evening Post.

"I've seen the stories and I can assure our supporters we have not had any contact from Fulham, or any other club for that matter, with regard to Nicky Maynard.

"If Fulham or any other club wants to talk to us about one of our players, then they should contact us directly rather than go through the media.

"At this moment in time, there has been no interest shown by any club in any of our players."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199158
Fulham - Not For Us!
The name of Carlton Cole features very prominently in the transfer gossip this week.

Depending on which tabloid you choose to browse through depends on which club the West Ham forward is linked to.

Now I`ve looked through quite a few and can`t find a specific article linking us to the West Ham forward but our name crops up whenever a group of clubs is mentioned as having already bid for the striker who will not be going to South Africa 2010.

Amazingly, we`re amongst a host of clubs who have bid something in the range of £8 million for his services, like I said - news to us!

But, I think we can rule ourselves out of contention now that the East London club is looking at a minimum of £15 million for the player.

Is this an instance of the famed Cockney humour breaking through?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199158#ixzz0oS0SiAFd

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199162
Fulham - How Much? As Fletcher Bid Arrows In?
Interesting to read, in the morning press, that one of the players featured in the excellent article penned by KBFulham, yesterday, is already the subject of transfer speculation.

Steven Fletcher, who scored 12 goals in Burnley`s doomed quest to stay in the top flight, is a target for Mick McCarthy at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Apparently, Wolves have bid £5 million for the striker but have been turned down flat as Burnley feel he`s worth a whopping £7 million.

Despite KBFulham`s glowing reference relating to the possible job Fletcher could do for us, I think he`s just moved out of our price league, don`t you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199162#ixzz0oS0jLYKu

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199160
Fulham - Bullard Latest!
With Hull City having vanished through the relegation trap-door, rumours are in circulation about our former midfield player, Jimmy Bullard.

As you`re probably aware, Bullard left Fulham in somewhat acrimonious circumstances to take up the offer of a £45,000 a week salary, on Humberside.

Well relegation will hit the Humberside club hard and attempts will be made to dramatically reduce the wage-bill, to stave off administration.

Our sources tell us that Hull were hoping to offload Jimmy to Glasgow Celtic but were dismayed to find out that the Glasgow side were only prepared to take Jimmy on loan for twelve months, thereby, in effect, only delaying the problem.

Unless off course Hull City can rise from the dead and make a quick return to the Premier League, something we doubt very much!

Good move or bad move now Jimmy?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199160#ixzz0oS0zc8Ml

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199159
Fulham - Shorey`s Not The One?
It`s appearing highly unlikely that Nicky Shorey will be staying with Fulham.

Signed on loan, from Aston Villa, to give cover when Paul Konchesky was injured, the defender appeared more than adequate to survive at Premier League level.

But, as the season went on, his appearances became fewer and fewer and the writing now appears to be on the wall with regards to his future with rumours in circulation that he may be swapping the claret and blue of Aston Villa for the claret and blue of West Ham United.

Nothing official has been said about the situation but with Paul Konchesy linked to a move, by the tabloids, to Birmingham City, we could be on the lookout for a new left back very soon but it appears, according to rumours, that Nicky Shorey is not that man!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199159#ixzz0oS1F9IXk

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1214427/index.html?cid=rssfeed&att=
Schwarzer: Roos no longer unknowns

Mark Schwarzer believes the Socceroos will no longer have the same element of surprise about them as they make their final preparations for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™.

The Fulham goalkeeper, who has more caps (73) than any other member of coach Pim Verbeek's preliminary 31-man squad, believes Australia's performances at the last FIFA World Cup in Germany four years ago will ensure far more attention is paid by rival nations this time around.

In 2006 the Socceroos reached the knockout stages of the world's biggest sporting event for the first time in their first appearance at the FIFA World Cup in 32 years but Schwarzer has no doubt it will be much harder to repeat that feat second time around given the team no longer has the luxury of taking their opponents by surprise. "We are more well-known now and teams won't underestimate us as much as they did last time," Schwarzer said, as the team continued their preparations for Monday night's friendly against New Zealand at the MCG.

We are more well-known now and teams won't underestimate us as much as they did last time.Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer

Australia still has 14 players in its squad that travelled to Germany last time and most of those are first-choice players. The 37-year-old believes it will be a different feeling for the Socceroos' first choice line-up this time around with most of them having the experience of Germany under their belts. "Obviously you are four years older and four years more experienced so there is that sense of knowing what to expect to a degree," he added.

"But again it's a different country altogether and a different tournament altogether and it's going to be a new challenge and a slightly more difficult challenge because we are no longer the team that was unknown a little bit (like four years ago)."

The likes of Harry Kewell, Brett Emerton and Craig Moore have had their preparations restricted by injuries in contrast to Schwarzer whose season has only just concluded when Fulham lost in the UEFA Europa League final to Atletico Madrid. But Schwarzer cast off any suggestions of mental tiredness on his part after such a long season and said returning to the Socceroos camp was just the thing he needed to mentally recharge his batteries after the disappointment of losing his second European club final, after also playing in one for his former club Middlesbrough.

"The last two years for me have almost been like a dream come true," he said of his move to Fulham. "It's been a lot of hard work and a lot of dedication but it's all come together for club and country and I couldn't be happier.

"I have really enjoyed the move to Fulham and I just want to continue playing as long as I can and I feel I am working harder probably more so than at any other time in my career but I am really enjoying it too. And we (the players) are as excited about the World Cup as anyone else.

"We love coming home after a long (domestic) season and seeing all the fans back home makes you realise we are not far away from the World Cup and we can't wait for it to start."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/05/20/fulham-striker-david-elm-signs-contract-extension-82029-26480701/
Fulham striker David Elm signs contract extension

DAVID Elm has signed a new two-year deal to keep him at Craven Cottage until 2012.

The Swedish striker has made just four starts for Fulham since arriving from Kalmar FF last summer.

He made his debut in the Carling Cup defeat at Manchester City in September, but had to wait five months for his first goal for his new club when he scored against Burnley in February – his solitary strike for the Whites.

But boss Roy Hodgson has seen enough of the 27-year-old to extend his stay in SW6.

"They've taken up the option to extend it for two more years," said Elm. "It's fantastic.

"This year has been an opportunity for me to get use to English football and the tempo. Now I want to compete more seriously for a place in the first team next season, that's my aim.

"It will be tough. We've got a lot of great players but you have to try."

WhiteJC

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/schwarzer-anxious-about-australias-injury-woes/1835264.aspx
Schwarzer anxious about Australia's injury woes

Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer admits it is worrying that several members of Australia's World Cup squad are under fitness clouds going into a gruelling pre-tournament training camp.
As fitness concerns swirl around several key players most notably Harry Kewell Schwarzer and midfield star Tim Cahill go into the tournament in perfect health and peak form.

It is arguable Schwarzer and Cahill are Australia's two most indispensable players in its bid to emerge from a difficult group D in South Africa.

But with the Socceroos' top 12 or 13 players so set in stone, Schwarzer admitted the prospect of any being underdone was a worry.

''It's always a concern when guys are injured heading into a big tournament,'' Schwarzer said ahead of the team's training camp which started in Melbourne yesterday.

''You want to have as many of your players fit as possible, especially your experienced players.

''But we've still got three weeks or so until the beginning of the World Cup, so it still gives players the opportunity to find their fitness, to overcome any niggles or injuries they've had over the season.

''Hopefully come the first game they'll all be fit.''

Kewell, nursing a groin injury, trained lightly yesterday with the team at its first training session at Melbourne's AAMI Park.

But he is likely to be eased through as the intensity rises with double sessions each day in the lead-up to the friendly against New Zealand at the MCG on Monday night.

Kewell missed the final rounds of competition with his Turkish side Galatasaray.

There are no such concerns for Schwarzer, who at 37 has come off arguably a career-best two years.

He helped English Premier League club Fulham to the Europa League final last week, as well as being the Socceroos' best player throughout the 14-match World Cup qualification campaign.

While Fulham was eventually beaten by Atletico Madrid in Hamburg, Schwarzer played a key role in the London side making the later stages of the Europa campaign.

Schwarzer and his teammates are expecting Pim Verbeek to employ the same sort of physically demanding training schedule previous coach Guus Hiddink used ahead of the 2006 tournament.
''It will be very intense from last time I can tell you it will be a very intense situation,'' Schwarzer said.
''The first week is usually a bit lighter because of the many commitments we have here in Australia. But once we knuckle down, get away from the outside world a little bit, and get down to concentrate on training it becomes quite intense.''
Cahill believed Australia's work ethic and experience from 2006 would be the keys to its performance in South Africa next month.
And he also stressed the importance of Australia getting its first-choice players in peak condition to tackle the World Cup.
''First of all we have to keep players fit and then try to get the consistency,'' Cahill said.
''If we prepare right and try and be as fit as we can for this World Cup like we were for the last World Cup, our natural talents will hopefully shine through.'' AAP

Schwarzer and his teammates are expecting Pim Verbeek to employ the same sort of physically demanding training schedule previous coach Guus Hiddink used ahead of the 2006 tournament.

''It will be very intense from last time I can tell you it will be a very intense situation,'' Schwarzer said.

''The first week is usually a bit lighter because of the many commitments we have here in Australia. But once we knuckle down, get away from the outside world a little bit, and get down to concentrate on training it becomes quite intense.''

Cahill believed Australia's work ethic and experience from 2006 would be the keys to its performance in South Africa next month.

And he also stressed the importance of Australia getting its first-choice players in peak condition to tackle the World Cup.

''First of all we have to keep players fit and then try to get the consistency,'' Cahill said.

''If we prepare right and try and be as fit as we can for this World Cup like we were for the last World Cup, our natural talents will hopefully shine through.'' AAP

WhiteJC

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/05/20/transfer-talk-thursday-may-20-celtic-chase-diakite-bamba-on-fulham-radar-villa-reject-city-s-milner-bid-86908-22271707/
Transfer talk: Thursday, May 20 - Celtic chase Diakite; Bamba on Fulham radar; Villa reject City's Milner bid
May 20 2010

CELTIC are on the trail of giant Lazio defender Mobido Diakite. The 6ft 4in French stopper is out of favour in Serie A and his agent has stated Celtic could look for a loan move. (Various)

MICHAEL STEWART has agreed a three-year deal with Turkish cracks Genclerbirligi and is set to join ex-St Mirren star Billy Mehmet in Ankara. (The Herald)

FULHAM could be set for a transfer raid north of the border after reports linked the Cottagers with a £1m for Hibs' Ivory Coast defender Sol Bamba. (Daily Express)

PAUL GALLACHER could be set for a switch to Perth after St Johnstone gaffer Derek McInnes inquired about the St Mirren keeper. (Daily Star)

ASTON VILLA have rejected a £20m bid from Man City for James Milner. It is now understood Man Utd could join the race to sign the England midfielder. (Various)

LIVERPOOL defender Jamie Carragher has urged stars like Fernando Torres to commit their futures to the Anfield club or quit. (Various)

WhiteJC

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2010/05/athletico-madrid-2-1-fulham-aet-part-1.html
Athletico Madrid 2 - 1 Fulham (aet) part 1
They came, they scored, they faltered. Fulham can now revel in glorious defeat after a monumental season, but what might have been if it weren't for the movement of one of Europe's best goal poachers. It's hard to distance the game from the epic journey it took us to watch the game.

2.40am Wednesday morning I set off in our hired Renault Scenic picked up another five near West Brompton station and the final straggler Col at his house in Bromley before heading for our 6.20am Eurotunnel crossing. What I thought might be an excited, giddy journey was instead punctured by complaints of tiredeness and illness as the West Brompton lot went out the night before and only managed an hour or so's sleep.

We were at Folkestone early enough (I'm not sure whether to expect a speeding ticket) to catch an earlier crossing and made it into Calais by 8am local time.Within seconds we were on the motorway and 20 minutes later out of France and in Belgium. We were not the only Fulham fans ploughing this furrow. There were many other cars sporting flags or at the very least British licence plates so we were in good company.

We only had two drivers amongst our number - one had to drop out after his boss wouldn't let him have the time off, while another didn't have both bits of paper in order top be registered on the insurance remotely. So that left two of us to do the brunt of the driving - neither of us had driven in Europe before. We needn't had worried - 98 per cent of our driving was done on the motorway/autobahn where driving on the other side of the road wasn't really an issue.

When I wasn't driving - I was instead sleeping - and it was during this period where we fell foul of the new road layout around Eindhoven which is not recognised by the SatNav which probably added another hour or so to our already tight journey. When we got back on track we decided to forgo the German A1 autobahn (famous for Fulham's previous embankment warm-up) and head up the A7 near Hannover, which would take us straight to the station designated for Fulham fans. However the traffic in Germany was appalling. In fact the last 7 miles took us over an hour. Our original ETA of 4pm became 6.30 and obviously left us short of time. We would have to miss out on the fan preparations in the Reeperbahn and more or less go straight to the stadium on the shuttlebuses. Fortunately, and contrary to expectations, there was a food and drink 'German village' erected outside the stadium and it was here where we finally got into the occasion with incidents such as the Fulham fans serenading one of the food stall workers with 'there's only one Rodney Marsh'.

As we made our way up to the impressive stadium (all football grounds should be built on hills) we went through the rigorous security checks, with one over zealous guard convinced our satnav was a makeshift bomb to climb up the stairs. And then climb up the stairs. And then climb up the stairs. It turned out our 105 quid tickets were one row from the back and we really required oxygen tanks and a sherpa to find our seats. The view was good though and we got a perfect look at the opening celebration which for some reason featured creepy women with lightening farts being transported around the ground on buggies. The music system was oppressive though and UEFA should consider that instead of adding to the atmosphere it might actually prevent the fans from creating an atmosphere of their own.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11763_6164230,00.html

The Rovers boss is also still hopeful of bringing Reading goalkeeper Mikkel Andersen and Fulham midfielder Wayne Brown back to the club over the summer following their successful loan stints in the 2009-10 campaign.