News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We have actually got out of a worse situation than this!

Started by win-dup, February 02, 2014, 05:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

win-dup

in 1965/6 from the beginning of November until February 30th we only won one game. This included a run of six consecutive losses.
However on February 30th we beat Liverpool 1-0 in a fantastic match, won the next four and only lost twice from February 30th to the end of the season. Still finished 20th though, when only two were relegated.

Macedo

ProfficerFFC

Jamie88

Quote from: win-dup on February 02, 2014, 05:03:14 PM
in 1965/6 from the beginning of November until February 30th we only won one game. This included a run of six consecutive losses.
However on February 30th we beat Liverpool 1-0 in a fantastic match, won the next four and only lost twice from February 30th to the end of the season. Still finished 20th though, when only two were relegated.

So even if we perform now like we did back then we would still get relegated as three go down these days!

win-dup

win-dup

Just trying to cheer everyone up. Wish I hadn't bothered. Retires hurt.

JDH101

Listen I appreciate your optimism even if others don't. I remember that Liverpool game though - I think they rested their entire starting 11 for a big Champions league game a few days later. And we won away at City. I can't see either happening this year!

But... I don't care who we play at home, every game is winnable and we need to get back to making the cottage a fortress. And we can also nick a couple of wins away too - Cardiff especially. We owe them a big beating sometime soon for so many different reasons.

I still believe but we can't be that naive again. Fullbacks going awol. Hangerland not getting close. Sidwell and Parker getting over run in the middle of the park. Non existent wide players... Lots for Rene to sort out but I have faith in him to get it right!

COYWS!!!

Neil D

Quote from: win-dup on February 02, 2014, 05:36:57 PM
Hope is what you're left with once reality has done a runner.  Nonetheless, your efforts are appreciated so pat yourself on the back.

Macedo

Jem

Quote from: win-dup on February 02, 2014, 05:36:57 PM
Don't give up. Never give up. It ain't over until  it's over. I won't accept it until it is mathematically proven.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Burt

We are not out of sight yet.

The last time I gave up was when we were 2 down against Man City, and we all know what happened then...

Indeed, in the Great Escape season, I am pretty sure we were more than 3 points adrift at one stage?

Jem

Quote from: Burt on February 02, 2014, 06:23:42 PM

The last time I gave up was when we were 2 down against Man City, and we all know what happened then...

Indeed, in the Great Escape season, I am pretty sure we were more than 3 points adrift at one stage?
So. The Great Escape Mk2! Bring it on!!!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Chesh

Exactly right - when we were 2-0 down to City, I started to convincde myself that I'd had enough of the Premier League anyway.

Now though we have a lot more to offer long term, and we are no where near as desperate position as we were then.

I would urge more people to fight against the odds, then just acceot them as many seem to have done.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

sunburywhite

Diomansy Kamara is still only 33 and playing for Eskişehirspor in Turkey if you want him back
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

RidgeRider

Quote from: Macedo on February 02, 2014, 05:56:07 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on February 02, 2014, 05:21:23 PM
Hardly an optimistic thread.

Why isnt it he maybe believes we can do it again..

Primarily because Fulham finished 20th that season and were relegated. I'm sure they played the last part of the season loose and without worries because they were already relegated and they knew it. That's why.

Having said that, if we could do the same, and still get relegated, we would at least feel good about the turnaround. I suppose that part is positive.

Burt

Quote from: Jem on February 02, 2014, 06:47:14 PM

So. The Great Escape Mk2! Bring it on!!!

Yep!

I seem to remember it took a bit of time for Roy's magic to work as well...

andyk

More than 3 points? I think we were 6 or 7 points adrift with 5 games to play. We took 12 points from our last 3 games, including 3 straight away wins.
In fact, that season we were on 19 points with only 10 games to play,
We played Sunderland, at home, and got creamed, Roy was nearly crying in the press conference after that game, he felt, so did everyone else that we were gone.
Our position this year is still not at that level of despair, and the thing to remember is that after that miracle at Man City, the momentum we had was unstoppable.
We could do with a few points picked up here and there before those final 5 games this year, but those final 5 games are much easier than the ones we had in 2008.

Chesh

fp.gif
Quote from: RidgeRider on February 02, 2014, 06:55:11 PM

Primarily because Fulham finished 20th that season and were relegated. I'm sure they played the last part of the season loose and without worries because they were already relegated and they knew it. That's why.

Having said that, if we could do the same, and still get relegated, we would at least feel good about the turnaround. I suppose that part is positive.
No, the whole point is that we stayed up in 1966!

As he said only 2 got relegated and we finished 20th out of 22..

Made in Hammersmith (1968)

win-dup

Quote from: Chesh on February 02, 2014, 07:08:22 PM
fp.gif
Quote from: RidgeRider on February 02, 2014, 06:55:11 PM

No, the whole point is that we stayed up in 1966!

As he said only 2 got relegated and we finished 20th out of 22..

exactly!